Most businesses use content marketing as a key part of their marketing campaigns. There are numerous ways to build a content marketing strategy to optimize sales and lead generation online.
More than 50% of businesses integrate content marketing into their overall marketing campaigns.
Content marketing is essential — it engages customers and spreads brand awareness.
Following this guide can help you create a successful content marketing strategy that can optimize your sales and lead to higher conversions.
Types of Content Marketing
The bar chart below represents the usage of different content marketing tactics.
Source: Content Marketing Institute
Most businesses use social media, e-newsletters, articles, blogs, videos, and illustrations in their content marketing strategies. A variety of content ensures you reach the most consumers possible.
However, it is important to learn the kind of copy you should write for your content marketing.
Copywriting Versus Content Writing
Businesses use copywriting to build a digital presence for their brand, and the intent behind all copywriting is to sell. A successful content marketing campaign includes copywriting that highlights the benefits of your product or service.
Additionally, copywriting enhances the quality of your offer. Use your copy as a way to reel in users who want to better understand the various features and advantages that come with your product.
Content writing, on the other hand, serves as informational text such as device manuals or travel guides. However, your audience is unlikely to spend a lot of time reading about every technicality of your product or service.
- Copywriting: “HP Laptops are among the most efficient; capable of lightning-fast processing, as well as energy-saving technological properties so you can surf the web while also reducing your carbon footprint! Get half-off the retail price for Labor Day!”
- Content Writing: “HP Laptops are a line of computers introduced in 1995 by the company Hewlett Packard. The brand competes with Dell, Acer, Lenovo, and Toshiba.”
Your content marketing will be mainly focused on copywriting – selling your product or service – instead of content writing.
What Makes Content Successful?
Before diving into creating your content, it is important to organize and structure the content you plan to present to your audience.
1. Separate Your Copy Into Small Segments
Dividing sales copy into small segments presents your message clearly and contributes to the visual flow of the content.
Short and concise paragraphs make your content more appealing and easier to read. Readability is key to any sales copy and applies to the preparation of online webinars.
2. Sell the Benefits, Not the Resume
The goal of your online content is to influence your viewers' decision-making when it’s time to close.
Sell the benefits of the product by highlighting its key features and the bonuses that come with it. This performs better than just selling the product and its features. People want to learn how they can benefit from the product, not just how it works.
Provide information about what the product or service can or will do for the viewer. As a business owner, it is your responsibility to discuss the product's benefits and convince the audience why they need those benefits.
3. Create Powerful Stories
The power of stories in content comes from building engagement and trust with your viewers.
Many readers want to learn not only about the product's backstory but also your story on the discovery or creation of the product or service. When your audience knows you, likes you, and trusts you, they are more likely to convert into customers.
4. Add Numbers & Statistics
Titles and headings with numbers or statistics grab the audience’s attention. Therefore, it is essential to include numbers and specifics that highlight your product while simultaneously giving enough details to encourage people to keep reading.
In other words, numbers make your copy more exciting to scan and can increase your traffic.
For example, “Pay off $10,000 in Credit Card Debt in 2 Months” is more attention-grabbing than “A Fast Wat to Pay off Credit Card Debt.”
Another example is “15 Business Blogging Mistakes & Easy Fixes.”
Adding numbers and statistics to your content is eye-catching and gives viewers specific details.
Appeal to Your Target Audience
Creating a compelling product description is achieved by providing the who, what, when, where, and why of your product.
- Who: Who is your target audience, including their age group and other demographics?
- What: What are your product's attributes? What are its features and what is it used for?
- Where: Where is your product meant to be used? Is it an outdoor or indoor item? Is it for work or home? Is it for a public place or private space?
- When: Is it meant to last a long time? Is it only used during certain occasions?
- Why: If you were the customer, why would you buy the product?
Answering these questions helps you create content that appeals to your audience.
Marketing Your Content
Reddit, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are the top online platforms to market your content. Here's how to optimize their marketing features:
- Reddit: Use a forum-style marketing strategy to find the proper forum topic and optimize your results through question and response.
- Pinterest: If you made graphs or images that highlight the different elements of your product or service, Pinterest is a great platform to publish these images. Additionally, add quotes and fresh ideas that are relevant to your offer.
- Facebook: Create a dedicated group with the purpose of establishing a community for your product. Don't forget to incorporate tags to increase visibility.
- Instagram: Use Instagram’s live feature to make announcements and engage with prospects. Use hashtags to reach more people, and post to Instagram Stories.
- YouTube: YouTube is one of the best marketing channels businesses can use if done correctly. For SEO purposes, you must include keywords that point to your niche in the title of the video as well as its description.
There are a variety of ways to market your content to reach the most people possible.
Create an Effective Content Marketing Strategy
Content marketing is a great tool for both small and large business. It allows you to build trust and relationships with your audience.
The ability to connect with an audience from the comfort of their own homes is powerful.
It is your job to provide the value your viewers are searching. They are engaging because they have a desire that needs to be fulfilled and a problem that can be solved by purchasing your product or service.
It is as simple and straightforward as including the product's description, backstory, offers, online community opportunities, and a powerful closing pitch.
About the Author
Arya Bina is the founder & CEO of Kobe Digital, a Los Angeles-based digital marketing agency that focuses on helping mid-size businesses reach their target audiences by leveraging the power of the internet.