Apps for bold ideas - Mobile&Web developers

UPTech is a team of Mobile & Web developers.

We help startups and companies build amazing products:

• Android apps
  • iOS apps
  • React Native apps
  • Websites
  • Chatbots

For UPTech developers each project is like our own, that’s why we regularly ask ourselves: “How can I make it even better?”.

We share the ideas with clients, as we have one purpose: create a product which would make app users gasp with excitement.

What else do we do?

• Conduct A/B testing
  • make MVPs & define their functions
  • UI/UX design
  • develop architecture
  • make server part and admin panels
  • write automated tests
  • set automatic collection and deployment systems
  • publish apps on Appstore and Play Market
  • add analytics, bug tracking and reporting
  • fix bugs if there are any

Contact us if you need a brand new product or redesign, but don’t know how to bring it to life.

Our mission is to enrich people’s lives bringing technology with great user experience. We care about the value for the final customer.

We create a happy team around common values as only a happy team can create incredible products. We're eager to bring your idea to life.

Kiev, Ukraine
  • UPTech Team
    3415 South Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 1100
    Los Angeles, CA 90034

Mobuy Android app

Mobuy allows users to chose products from Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, DealExtreme and more... With a novel user experience and AI, shopping becomes fast and easy.

Freebird iOS & Android app

Freebird Rides brings you to the best bars and restaurants in town.

Select where you want to go, accept the business's ride contribution offer, and request your ride. Freebird connects directly to the Uber app. You'll get your cash back when you close your tab at the bar/restaurant.

Aspiration iOS app

Aspiration is a financial firm you can fall in love with.

Aspiration is built on trust, focused on the middle class instead of millionaires, and founded on the idea that we can do well and do good at the same time.

Aspiration brings to everyone the kinds of banking and investing options once limited to only the wealthiest Americans.

Hive iOS & Android app

Bridging the gap between health and convenience, The Hive app allows you to order ahead for delivery or pickup and pay directly on your phone - no more waiting.

PhotoOps iOS & Android app

Photo Ops is a competitive, real time, photo sharing scavenger hunt.

Dominate the competition and win prizes! Winners receive everything from computers, high-end fashion accessories, vacations packages and anything else you can think of.

In Photo Ops the players get to decide whether or not a find is legit. YOU get to decide who wins and who loses.

Audiojoy iOS & Android App

Audiojoy is a great project that gave us an opportunity to do a lot of research, enhanced our expertise in Android build system and audio playing features.
"Its by far the best android development and non US based I’ve ever had… and I’ve been doing tech for 20+ years." - says Jeff Solomon.

#YoShirt Android App

YoShirt is a big and challenging project that gave us an opportunity to do a lot of research, enhanced our expertise in image manipulation and processing, concurrency and image caching. It’s a pleasure seeing how people dreams come true with elegant YoShirt apps.

Voter Android App

Voter project taught us to make full use of architecture patterns and best practices and in the field. Application is 100% written in Kotlin.
"We got the android version out, it works well and looks good, it was on time, and it was within budget." - says Hunter Scarborough.

Butter Android & iOS App

Butter is a social discovery app. You can make new friends on Butter! Snap and post photos, get likes, build your score, get popular and chat! Just be yourself and find people from all over the world that are into the same things you are. There’s always something or someone new to see when you open Butter! Bring your friends along, or make new ones! With live photos, likes, comments, and chats, you’ll never be bored.

Start making friends with Butter!

“From the first interaction, we knew that we had found a great team that we could build a lasting working relationship with. We wanted to work with them for their flexibility, depth of experience including design, and their clear passion for their work, illustrated by their attention to detail.” - says Dan Flanegan, Co-Founder & CEO @ Butter.

Voter FB Messenger Chatbot

Voter is a matchmaking for politics. Hunter Scarborough (CEO at Voter) is trying to educate people in the US, especially younger generation about politics and make the elections (presidential, senator, district) a conscious decision.

UPTech created chatbot version of the Voter mobile app we have been working on.

Chatbots can be a major improvement to some businesses. You can either provide your services via the chatbot directly, which means that users do not have to install the application or, alternatively, use chatbot to show a demo of application features and get more userbase (as in the case of Voter).

Talk to Voter Chatbot in Facebook Messenger.

Geeking Android App

"Immediately after the first week of work I had a good sense that the UPTech team would be a good partner for us. They communicated regularly through Slack and various channels and most importantly asked thoughtful questions that indicated that they had  understood the project" - says Jeff Solomon.

Development of Video Streaming Platform

Their work is reliable and professional.

June 2016 - Ongoing

UPTech delivered a custom video streaming platform built on a Wowza embeddable HTML5 media player. They developed the backend using Amazon ECUs. Ongoing support includes tweaks and adding new features.

CEO, Video Production Company

UPTech’s product features unbeatable video quality. Company revenue has tripled since implementing the service, which clients enthusiastically praise. The platform broke a competitor’s monopolistic hold on a market niche. Using a prompt and responsive project manager streamlined communication.

I’m the owner and founder of a video production business that specializes in market research.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech?

I wanted to create a custom-built live streaming platform and lacked the necessary programming capabilities in-house.

When I first hired UPTech, I described my initial idea of how the platform should look, feel, and function. After a couple of discussions, they put together a comprehensive proposal and began development. Since they built out the platform, we've had an open, ongoing dialogue to consistently tweak and improve the platform. In terms of specific technology, they used Amazon ECUs and a Wowza embeddable HTML5 media streaming player.

Live streaming has only recently become readily available. It's on the cusp of development. Especially in terms of programming, it's not the easiest technology to build. We’re always looking for the most cost-effective way to provide this service to my clients. I mainly work with large movie and video game companies. Our web-based platform is useful for virtually any company that conducts research. A different design agency worked on the frontend, which actually turned out quite similar to UPTech’s initial barebones backend design.

I had one point of contact and may have spoken to three resources total. I've noticed that three people are usually CC'ed on my emails. Our project manager relayed info to the rest of the team. Having all communications go through one person suits my personal preference.

How did you come to work with UPTech?

Initially, I was debating between building a custom platform myself or outsourcing the work to a developer. Certain companies offer live streaming services for $10,000 a year, compared to UPTech’s affordable, one-time cost. I found them through a personal reference. I researched examples of work they’d done for other clients. They definitely seemed able to get the job done, so I hired them.

I've spent around $20,000 on their services.

Our project began in June of 2016. As with most tech projects, it never really ends because there's always more to add. As more clients become interested in this service, they constantly request new functions I outsource to UPTech. I continually hire them to refine it. If we stopped working on it today, however, the product would still be fully functional.

Since we built this platform, I've been tripling my revenue metrics compared to last year. Their work is reliable and professional. I can control and tweak every aspect. The custom design is critical; if my clients are spending thousands of dollars for this service, it shouldn't have a generic logo at the bottom. The audio and visual quality outperforms my competitors in the live streaming market. It looks professional and functions as desired, which are my two most important criteria.

My clients are super happy. The current market leader in my particular niche had held a longtime monopoly and refused to innovate. They appreciate that there’s a better, more flexible alternative now. None of them seems to have any issues with the platform's development. When bugs pop up, UPTech solves them pretty quickly. The platform functions smoothly and is an awesome new piece of technology.

How did UPTech perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a good job. In any business relationship, it takes time to figure out response style and level of self-motivation. As a business owner, it's important to set a precedent for the level of communication you prefer. Once we found our flow, the project progressed really well. Initially, there were a couple of missed deadlines. Once we collectively stepped it up, we really started to see results. We mostly touched base through Skype or email, and occasionally used WhatsApp.

The quality of their work speaks for itself. That's what it comes down to. I ordered a project, and they delivered what I wanted. They took responsibility for any problems we encountered, and the final product is great.

My only qualm would be the amount of time it took. They could work on their timeliness and punctuality. Communication was very prompt, though. Every time I wrote an e-mail, it was quickly answered.

Touch base with UPTech weekly.

Website for Used Car Auction Platform

“Their quality, experience, and transparency were impressive.”

June - Dec. 2017

UPTech built an online platform for the trade of used cars. Featuring an auction feature, the platform was developed from scratch, first as a prototype, and then the final system.

Kiev, Ukraine
CMO, Offlease Hub

The platform is yet to launch, but was well received internally and the site’s design was particularly praised. The team provided excellent suggestions, with their recommendations significantly improving the final product, all while maintaining an open and transparent business partnership.

Offlease Hub is an online platform for selling and buying used cars. I’m the chief marketing officer, responsible for promotion, marketing, and sales.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech?

We wanted to create the platform and needed a team who could develop it for us.

We discussed the project with UPTech Team and they sent me questions about it. I described my vision and provided them with brief information, as well as several of our competitors’ sites. Based off that information, they developed a prototype from scratch. I then gave feedback about what I liked and disliked.

The website is an auction system focused on the B2B market, as most of our customers are dealers. All of our cars are from official dealers and pass certification so we can guarantee the quality of the car.

There were 5 or 6 people that I communicated with. I don’t know how many people worked on the backend but there was a team lead, a web designer, a tester, and a developer.

How did you come to work with UPTech?

Their office is in the same building as ours and I saw they were a big team. I did some research and found that they work a lot with the U.S. market. That was confirmation for me that they had the capability to take on a difficult project. Their price was average, but I decided to try them because I like how they communicated with me. They asked questions and provided ideas.

$15,000.

We started working together in June 2017 until December 2017.

Everyone in our company is satisfied with the work, including our co-founder, who liked the site and its design. We aren’t online yet but expect to launch in March. I don’t know if there are any bugs, but right now everything is working.

How did UPTech perform from a project management standpoint?

It was excellent. We used Messenger to communicate and all my questions were answered within 15–20 minutes. There were no problems with communication and I liked how they organized everything. I didn’t always know exactly what I wanted, so I liked that they gave me choices.

They’re very open and transparent. I was supposed to provide content for the website and didn’t make it in time, but they pushed me. They not only organized their work, but helped me to organize my tasks as well.

Their quality, experience, and transparency were impressive. They were eager to discuss any questions, were very organized, and never missed deadlines.

I don’t know anything they can improve. In my eyes, they did the job perfectly.

Believe in the team. If they suggest something, you should listen to them. They will help you to realize the project at the highest level. I’m very happy that I listened and did what they recommended.

Android & iOS App Development for Prometheus MOOC Platform

“UPTech challenged the existing prototypes and took them to a completely new level.”

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

UPTech Team helped launch mobile apps for an online learning platform.  Using provided prototypes, the team completed the apps and made several improvements, including re-coding a video playback functionality.

Ukraine
Ivan Primachenko
CEO, Prometheus

The app has received positive feedback since its launch and generated an increase in users. UPTech Team improved upon the existing products and delivered a solution that was stable and suitable for an audience of over 500,000 users. They are unafraid to question requests and offer better solutions.

Prometheus is a platform for free, massive, open online courses with 500,000 registered users. We are a non-governmental organization and our main goal is to spread online education in Ukraine. I'm the CEO of this organization.

For what projects/services did your company hire UPTech Team?

Our platform is built on the Open edX engine. We had updated the engine to the latest version and needed to launch mobile apps for it.

We wanted to create mobile apps for Android and iOS with the following features for our users:

• Stream class videos via Wi-Fi or cellular connection

• Download course videos to watch anytime

• Test your knowledge with basic quizzes and exams

• View course announcements and handouts

• Follow-along course videos with closed captions

We selected UPTech from the advice of two of our partners.

We gave UPTech the existing prototypes of the Android and iOS apps updated with the Open edX latest version. We reconfigured our servers to communicate with the apps. The rest of the technology was built by UPTech based on the provided prototypes and our technical specifications. We had very detailed requirements, but UPTech challenged the existing prototypes and took them to a completely new level. They could re-code video playback functionality in such a way that the apps could stream course videos directly from our servers. UPTech built a solution that ensured that our mobile apps are stable and suitable to be used by our large student audience. We have been working with UPTech since March 2017. We still need quite some time until we're done, since we have a massive stack of technology to carry out. We have no intention of canceling the collaboration with UPTech; we are very happy with our collaboration efforts.

We worked with one project manager and two developers.

Our mobile apps went live in the summer of 2017 and have already increased our audience. With the ability to “learn on the go,” more people have become interested in our platform and it's really due to what UPTech has built in a short timeframe. We have gotten very positive feedback from our students. Also, we have agreements in place that would not have been possible without UPTech's apps.

The project management is very well done. Their approach is clear and the lead on the project is both capable and committed, which is echoed by the team of subordinates. They have delivered everything faster than we expected.

I believe it's a part of UPTech's slogan, namely that “the customer isn't always right.” Their customer base appreciates that; you want a developer that can come up with a better solution. UPTech can do this much better than other companies, who simply build what they are told to and don't question requests when it's necessary to.

We are fully satisfied with the cooperation and have already recommended UPTech to our partners.

Android App Development for Shaving Brand

"I have nothing but positive things to say about working with UpTech."

n/a

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

UpTech provided Android app development services to Dollar Shave Club, a monthly subscription grooming product supplier, effectively integrating with their in-house team to create the end product.

Marina del Rey, California
Melissa Williams
Product Manager, Dollar Shave Club

Although their work elicited positive responses both in-house and within the user base, what stood out the most about UpTech’s work was their consistency and collaborative skills. They willingly shared expertise and were able to keep track of the many moving parts within a complex operation.

I am the mobile app product manager for a Dollar Shave Club.

What challenge were you trying to address with UpTech?

We have very active members and we wanted to give them a great, seamless way to maintain their subscription with us and keep them engaged beyond just the subscription itself. The best way for us to achieve those goals was through a mobile app, which would provide them with account management tools as well as additional content to encourage engagement.

Recruiting and maintaining talent in the mobile development space is hard. Our company initially was just a website, so moving into the mobile space was new territory for us. UpTech began work with us about a year before I came on board, so I can only speak to the time that we have overlapped. UpTech does our Android development, since we have an in-house team that takes care of the iOS app.

In terms of actual features that we develop and implement within the app, UpTech is part of the planning stage. We do not just give them running orders. They are highly collaborative, and we all meet frequently as a group—the engineers from UpTech, our design and UX team, and myself—to brainstorm and discuss features. Our UX team will then provide UpTech with designs and wireframes. As a group, we all estimate the level of effort required to implement those features and then break everything down into smaller tasks.

They began working with us back in October 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

The last I checked, our Android app rating in the Google Play store was around a 4.8 out of 5 stars, which is very high. We have a ton of great user reviews, and we get consistently excellent feedback from our customers.

How did UpTech perform from a project management standpoint?

For a while we used Trello for project management, but we recently moved over to Jira. The transition from one to the other with UpTech has been more or less seamless, and they caught on to the new system quickly. Our whole mobile app team has regular meetings, to which they regularly attend. We have a stand-up once a week and a morning check-in the other four days of the week. They have been good at giving advance notice when they have vacations or paid time off coming up. Because we have these regular meetings, our whole team—including UpTech—has become fairly adept at being able to estimate how much work we can get done in a two-week sprint.

Even though their scope is specifically Android, we have a lot of interaction between all of our teams; mobile apps, site, backend services and infrastructure. A lot of our work and updates require significant coordination with these different teams, and UpTech has been great about communicating consistently with everyone involved.

One thing I have really appreciated is that we have mostly been able to work with the same developers. I have worked with other contractors where you are constantly onboarding somebody new as developers move between projects. The consistency with UpTech has been really nice. They have integrated seamlessly with our in-house team, to the extent that we no longer see them as contracted resources, but as our Android developers. Although a time difference is often an issue in such types of partnerships, it has never been a problem for us. They adjusted their schedules to meet at times that were convenient for our office in Los Angeles. I have nothing but positive things to say about working with UpTech, and have genuinely enjoyed our collaboration, particularly in regards to seeking their advice. They have responded very well to us sharing our ideas and general goals with them.

Nothing that would speak to UpTech specifically. Any challenges that we have faced are the kind that you face with any team, whether it be a contractor or in-house. They have been a vital and vocal part of the process as we continue to improve our overall approach to mobile development.

Lean on their expertise in Android, seek out their thoughts and advice to ensure that you are designing and building the end product in a way that makes sense. Including them within the overall process is essential for an effective workflow and positive final result.

• N/A Cost

Augmented Mobile Development for Drone Piloting Apps

"They’re good, solid engineers who’ve helped us create a challenging, one-of-a-kind product."

July 2017 - Ongoing

UpTech provided staff augmentation to assist with the development of a drone piloting app. Available for both iOS and Android, the complex app connects phones to drones and transmits data to host servers.

Santa Monica, California
Co-Founder, Drone Services Co.

UpTech’s technical expertise introduced new solutions to the in-house team, ultimately creating a better product. Highly transparent, they communicate on a daily basis and monitor progress through project management tools. Solid engineers, they’ve helped craft a one-of-a-kind product.

I’m the CTO of a company that sells aerial photographs to a variety of customers, including real estate, construction, and insurance firms.

What challenge were you trying to address with UpTech Team?

We needed to augment our in-house engineering team to build our mobile apps.

While I realize it’s common for companies to outsource entire projects, we preferred to maintain the product’s specs and design in-house. We hired UpTech to support our senior engineer and integrated them as members of our team.

Together, they’ve designed a complex mobile app for iOS and Android. Intended for drone pilots, it allows users to see which drone missions are available and then connects the cellphone to the drone’s SDK for easy piloting.

The app also connects to our servers so we can receive data.

We hired four team members, two for iOS and two for Android.

Any team member went through a two-part process. I conducted an initial interview and passed their information to our senior engineer if I thought the individual was suitable. If the engineer approved, then they were added to the project.

How did you come to work with UpTech Team?

We have an in-house recruiter who stays in contact with other companies. One of his contacts recommended UpTech, so we reached out them and they began sending us résumés and setting up interviews.

Around $100,000.

We started working together in July 2017 and our relationship is ongoing. The iOS version has launched, with the Android version set to follow in the coming weeks.

Their Android engineers recommended moving to clean architecture when they first came on board, a proposal our in-house engineers hadn’t considered. UpTech’s engineers introduced the concept, explaining how it utilized different layers to create an organized, logical grouping, and this ended up being an effective way to structure the app.

How did UpTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very transparent. We stay organized through daily sendups wherein they communicate their status. We also rely on project management tools like Trello and Jira. In this way, each task is represented as a work item we can monitor.

I interviewed them myself, so I can speak to the technical depth of their team members. They’re good, solid engineers who’ve helped us create a challenging, one-of-a-kind product.

I can't think of anything.

I would recommend using our two-part interview process, which worked well for us. Keeping the product specs and design in-house also ensured we had ultimate control over the product’s quality.

Augmented Frontend Dev for Nutrition Startup

“We have high standards for code communication, so we felt lucky to have found them.”

June - Sept. 2017

UPTech Team augmented frontend development for white-labeled applications, including bug fixing, refactoring, features implementation, and process management.

Hamburg, Germany
Head of Products, Nutrition Platform

They offer prompt delivery, effective communication, skilled developers, and the ability to make suggestions regarding overall processes. Although development has been temporarily paused, the relationship will likely continue in the future due to their reliability and efficiency.

I am the head of products for a startup in the e-health sector. We generate automated nutrition plans.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

We needed more manpower in different areas to provide white-label technology solutions to companies. This included bug fixing, refactoring, new white-label and features development, as well as process management. We were looking for a vendor who was qualified and experienced with React Native.

UPTech Team worked on many different tasks involved with frontend development. They implemented features and styling, fixed bugs, and refactored poor code that was a result of hurried development.

Our mobile application has a feature that allows our company’s customers to input things which they want to have in the app. Our assigned developer, Max, worked a lot on the actual screen and also implemented style and design changes to white-label solutions at the request of a customer.

The shopping list that is specific to our app was fixed as well.

We mainly worked with Max, who is one of their developers. We also briefly worked with another developer, Andrei, for two days. We had to freeze the project and reallocate our focus for now due to our business situation.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

We’d searched for developers for 1–2 months, and had interviewed several companies. A friend in our network recommended UPTech, so we interviewed them. They seemed promising, made us a good offer, and also did well in the trial phase. We have high standards for code communication, so we felt lucky to have found them.

We spent approximately €3,000 Euro [U.S. $3,553] per month.

We started working together in June or July 2017, and the relationship ended in September 2017.

We've been able to work through projects that we wouldn't have been able to without their help. We've had to put a pause on development temporarily, but we're looking forward to picking the relationship back up as soon as we have the next need.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

The team is communicative, on time, and reliable. They even gave us suggestions on how to improve our own processes.

They are very organized and on top of their tasks. We didn't run into any trouble at all throughout the relationship. We really enjoyed working with them and hope to again in the future.

The UPTech Team also asked me this question during the project, and I struggled to find anything they needed to improve. I can't think of anything.

Do you have any advice for potential clients of UpTech Team?

I definitely recommend them to anyone in need of development services. Don't let the fact that they're young deter you, because they are very capable and skilled.

iOS & Android Dev for Socially Conscious FinTech Co.

"They provide high-quality work very responsibly—we’ve built a strong relationship and get along well."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Engineers initially augmented an internal team to complete an iOS prototype, and have since started work on an Android version. Feature enhancements and performance monitoring remain ongoing.

Matt Lee
Head of Product, Aspiration

The app is performing well with 70% user adoption, an average Google Play Store rating of 4.4, positive reviews, and minimum bugs. UPTech’s sense of ownership, exceptional collaboration, high-quality deliverables, and tight turnarounds make them a trusted partner for high-stakes projects.

Aspiration is a FinTech company that’s trying to bring the best financial investments to everyone. We have a large focus on socially responsible investing. In general, we want to democratize access to high-quality investment products.

Another thing that makes our company unique and is a core part of our mission is that all of our products follow a pay-what-is-fair model. People can pay from $0 up to $2 a month for the use of our products. We believe that increases the accessibility of these products and helps us avoid the fee gouging we see in the news.

We have another important program, Fines Worth a Difference. We have a commitment to give 10% of our top-line revenue to charity every year. Currently the charity we partner with is called Accion, which is the largest provider of small business microloans in America.

We are a modern-day, socially conscious financial institution who really wants to help people save and spend money better. We do this by bringing them the best financial products and technology to help them improve their investments and spending. I’m the head of product and data.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

As a startup, it doesn’t matter where you are—everyone is always looking and competing for the best engineers out there. Knowing that we want to build a lot of great technology and build out our platform to help our customers, we were looking for ways to augment our mobile teams for both iOS and Android.

Our development lead had already started to develop the iOS app and we had completed portions of it when UPTech started working with us. Since we were so pleased with UPTech’s level of service, we recently added an Android engineer from their team to work with our full-time Android lead. The UPTech engineer just joined in the last 3–4 months.

When the UPTech team joined our mobile efforts, we hadn’t launched the iOS app yet, but we did have a prototype that a previous in-house engineer worked on. They really did an amazing job of picking up that code base and understanding it.

We launched the iOS app 2–3 months after they started working on it. We’ve been working closely with them since then to improve and release new versions for our iOS app.

One feature is called AIM: Aspiration Impact Measurement. As a FinTech company that’s focused on socially responsible investing and benefitting the world, we thought it would be really cool to help users understand how their spending influences the people and the planet. We built a proprietary database that rates companies where people use their debit cards. Categories include environmental, social, and governance (ESG). We have a lot of ESG data on these companies and assign each one a people and planet score. If you made a purchase at Walmart, its scores would show you how they treat the people and planet. We give users a score based on where and how they spend their money. This was a feature that we did mobile-first, and despite very tight deadlines, they did a fantastic job on it. They’ve been helping us with iterations on this feature since then.

UPTech provided the lead engineers on this project. We had project managers, data scientists, mobile engineers, and backend engineers working to launch this novel feature. We currently work with one Android engineer and two iOS engineers. There’s also a project and sales manager and a technical lead.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

We have an onsite Android engineer and were in the midst of finding some iOS developers when he recommended the UPTech Team. He had past experience working with them. Through initial phone calls and working with them, we saw that they have a good product sense and care about the product and our customers, despite being a remote team. We discussed the features and shared a spec on how it should work.

We started working with them in July or August of 2016, and the relationship is ongoing. There’s still a lot of work to do. They launch new features and improve the existing app. They fix bugs, help with UI designs and UX enhancements, do code refactoring, and improve analytics within the app.

They are responsible not only for product features but also for engineering quality, performance, etc. They make sure the product is functional, reliable, and scalable.

They were part of the app development even before it launched. They get a lot of credit for the success of our iOS app. We’ve had good reviews indicating that it’s a high-quality release with a minimum number of bugs. We have a high level of user engagement and adoption. Over 70% of our customers have downloaded our iOS or Android checking account app. There’s a high degree of daily user engagement. We didn’t have the app when a lot of those customers joined, so the fact that they bought into it is great.

In Google Play Store, our average rating is 4.4 out of 5.0, and we’ve had 500,000 downloads.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

We do biweekly standup meetings where we do sprint planning. We communicate through Slack and email. They’re very easy to reach despite being in different time zones.

Both our team and theirs have been flexible to make ourselves available. We’ve been able to create a clean workflow to hand off assets using Sketch and Zeplin. They’re very responsive when we send a request to them. Despite the challenges of working with backend developers, they did a good job of learning the APIs, asking questions, and understanding how to use them. They check their quality of work before they ask us to do a full task test review. They’ve been doing well with deadlines, communication, and understanding the purpose of the project.

They provide a high quality of work very responsibly. We’ve built a strong relationship and get along well. I appreciate the level of interest they have expressed in Aspiration.

Rather than just coding without providing feedback, they’ve always been thoughtful about the product and the customer. They work like a true team. They’ve treated all the work that they’ve done like their own, even though both our team and their team did it together. As soon as we started working with them, we realized that they were able to deliver the quality of work we were looking for in our mobile development.

App Dev for Ridesharing Startup

“UpTech’s code quality and unit testing are excellent, and they’re really on top of business.”

Dec. - June 2016

UPTech developed and conducted unit testing on a startup app with an intuitive UI for iOS and Android, and also managed MAC of the API.

CTO, Freebrid Rides

UPTech’s team of developers are not only eager to learn, but passionate about creating an elegant UI. Their accommodation, availability, and project management all made for a proactive and beneficial relationship.

I’m CTO of Freebird Rides, and we’re making Uber rides free in Los Angeles. Basically, we’re convincing bars and restaurants to contribute or pay for Ubers to bring customers in. We have about 20 people working with us, and we’re located in Venice.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech?

We had landed a couple of big gigs, including an NFL/Superbowl premier party in LA, which we were trying to spread the word about. We needed more hands on development for both the iOS and Android app, as well as the MAC end of the API. We’re a startup and only had two people working at the time.

They helped us prepare quickly by adding 6-7 developers to our team who helped build many cool features. They created an AirBar that pops up when you log into the app, which is basically a search bar at the top with a subpanel of Smart categories. If we’re doing an event, NFL can pop in below it, and it’s very optimized and sophisticated. As you scroll down the list, the main navigation at the top shrinks into a pinned header. UPTech even asked if they could open source this on their GetHub as an example of their work.

They really helped us get the app out the door and into the market. We launched the iOS version in LA in June, but won’t be launching the Android version for a couple months because we’re still iterating the marketing and messaging on the iOS version. We operate with over 400 bars and restaurants in LA alone where you can get discounted Uber rides. UPTech was very supportive and they made a beautiful UI. They integrated our branding guidelines and theme elegantly throughout the app.

Although we’ve recently been hiring internally, if we ever get another big project, we will definitely reach out to UPTech again.

We had 5-6 developers staffed at any given moment who we would rotate depending on their skill sets. Once the backend was built, we moved on to the frontend, which required different developers. They were very supportive and worked well with us on a weekly, day to day spread schedule.

How did you come to work with UPTech?

A friend of mine who had worked with UPTech strongly recommended them. At the time, availability was the decision making factor. After I sent UPTech a small test, I went with them because they knocked it out of the park and seemed excited about the project.

We’ve spent $150,000-$200,000 over 7 months.

We started working together in December 2016, and recently paused the engagement in June 2017.

We’re receiving good reviews, and have had a lot of customer support. The only issue has been with some of our messaging, which isn’t bad, but we’ve had to explain to people how to use the app. There’s also been some confusion regarding marketing terms and appeal. Other than that, everyone has been really honest about how happy they are with it. UPTech’s code quality and unit testing are excellent, and they’re really on top of business.

How did UpTech perform from a project management standpoint?

Their communication was good, and they were very professional and easy to work with. The burn down charts and invoices they sent us were great, also. We had a couple of hard deadlines but they nailed it. We were in the exploratory phase, so it was more about producing the quality rather than hitting the mark. The few times we had a deadline crunch and wanted to get a build out, they helped us get the job done.

We’ve been using a new technology called RX, and they picked it up well and were very eager to learn about it. The unit testing they conducted outside of coding was awesome, because being test driven during development of a big product is extremely important. Many developers will just code and build it, but the moment you try to add or change a feature, you don’t have the unit test support or coverage and this leads to quality drops. They brought the unit and UI tests, and they were knowledgeable about devops as well as project development. I’d give them a gold star on that one.

There’s room for improvement with time management, including boarding and figuring out what the payment structure is going to be like. Overall, they were great, and when I instructed them to log their hours and tasks worked on, they had no problem with that. Every agency probably uses different tools, but we just plugged them in and started running, then it took about 3-4 weeks to figure out management. They jumped right in on the project with us, but looking back, it may have been wise to frame it better instead of just getting to work.

Overall Score For sure.
    They were a little bit higher but it came with the quality.
    Definitely.

Augmented iOS Dev for Children's Art App

"UPTech solved all the needs we had."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

UPTech Team augmented the creation of a native iOS app, providing flexible problem-solving for the existing code base in a dual design/development approach. They now support updates and hotfixes.

Sherman Oaks, California
Adam Flaxman
Lead Developer, Art Kive

The launched product has received only positive feedback, thanks to UPTech Team’s bug-free deliverables. Their fluid workflow and responsiveness allowed the unorthodox system to succeed and continues to strengthen the partnership.

Art Kive has an app that serves parents by storing their children’s art. I’m the lead developer and full-stack engineer.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

We were looking for a solid Swift iOS developer to augment our team in working on a native iOS app. We also wanted to make sure the team we found was able to solve problems with an existing code base. Part of the issue with working with overseas teams is availability and time differences. UPTech was very flexible, even staying up late and getting up early to work on the project.

We are transitioning the app to a subscription module. This project was not a conventional sprint system where the UX and UI team identifies, designs, and resolves issues and then implements them. I was still building the subscription module and the Rails server, so we were designing and developing at the same time. We added some capabilities to detect if a user has a subscription, needs a subscription, etc. There’s a feature that presents and gives discounts in the UI when users go to checkout. The problem the app solves is storage, but the point of sale is converting items into high-quality coffee-table keepsake books and other items. We’re aggregating some hotfixes and feature additions that we’ll have UPTech tackle in the future.

UPTech dealt with the presentation of price changes, member plans, and also some core logic around whether a user needs a plan and what to do in that situation. They were very understanding and flexible and dealt with the process really well. I was directly managing the team from UPTech. Andre, the project manager; Oleg, the iOS developer; and their company were awesome. They both speak really good English and are funny. I know UPTech also does Android work, but we’re not using them for that right now.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

One of our owners reached out to our circle and got a recommendation for a gentleman named Shervin, who is the team leader in the US for UPTech. He finds the work and funnels it to the developers overseas. Usually, that’s a scary business model and something I wouldn’t contract, but they did a great job and beat the odds. They were good.

How much have you invested with UPTech Team?

We’ve spent between $7,000 and $10,000 over the last quarter.

We started working with them in January 2017, and we continue to contract them for version releases, hotfixes, etc.

UPTech solved all the needs we had. I haven’t received any complaints about bugs, which is rare. There had been existing bugs, but UPTech’s work has yielded no new bugs. That’s the best part of their work. They solved the need and were able to be extremely Agile with us as we were being fluid in our process, which isn’t normal development.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

They dedicated as much time as we needed to our project. When the project began to taper and we were working on other things, they did other projects. Oleg and Andre were both available on the weekends and nights for us. They did a 3-week focused sprint with us; after that, they made the time to finish what we needed. They did a good job. We didn’t have moments where they weren’t focused on us. They would communicate that it might take them a couple of days to start a new task, but they always got to it in a reasonable amount of time.

What did you find most impressive about UPTech Team?

They were fluid and available. They produced good code that has shown no new bugs. They did their job and did it well while being cost-effective.

Are there any areas UPTech Team could improve?

I don’t have any complaints right now. They did what they needed to do.

Overall Score They were solid.
    They met all their deadlines—even ones we didn’t know we needed to set because we hadn’t scoped the work.
    They were cost-effective and produced great work. That’s hard to find in the US.
    They provided a functional product with no new bugs in an unorthodox and extremely Agile system, didn’t complain, and got it done.
    I have already recommended them.

App Dev for Photo Game App

"They’re extremely communicative. They're everything I could ask for."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

UPTech Team developed a complex photo-sharing app that integrated scavenger hunt mechanics, GPS, photo sharing and brand visibility into an engaging consumer experience.

Michael Dela Cruz
Founder, Photoops

UPTech Team’s design and development expertise was extraordinary and the deliverable proved to be much more advanced than a previous build. Their project management and communications skills distinguish them from other teams and facilitate a smooth partnership.

The name of my company is Photo Ops, and it’s a photo-sharing platform utilizing scavenger hunt game mechanics, photo sharing and mobile devices to create a fun and engaging experience for users to interact with brands. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

We were trying to obtain a quality development team that was also cost-effective. We needed them to do ongoing development work on both iOS and Android.

UPTech Team stepped in to provide both front-end and back-end development for the iOS and Android platforms for our mobile app. In terms of CMS, they provided all the user experience and visual design work. I provided them with the initial layout and design, and they’ve made recommendations and changes that we’ve agreed to. I had full visibility into the composition of the team, which was one project manager, one front-end iOS developer, one back-end developer and two Android developers.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

I was referred to them via a contact of mine at another company. They recommended UPTech Team because of their great rates and the great work that they do. I had a couple conversations with UPTech Team’s senior management and really liked what they had to offer.

How much have you invested with UPTech Team?

$10,000-$20,000.

We began working together in November 2016 and the development is ongoing. Interestingly, we launched the first version of the app this morning. We’ve reached a very important milestone and we’re going to continue iterating on that until we’re satisfied.

We just launched today so we don’t have any real feedback yet. But to give you a little more information, the app was previously built by another developer, and we came to a point where we were outgrowing that developer’s skills and the app needed to be rebuilt to be more effective. In contrast to the original build, the current build is incredible. It’s amazing.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management has been great. They’re extremely communicative. They’re everything I could ask for. I have full visibility and communication channels with everyone on the team.

What did you find most impressive about UPTech Team?

The guys at UPTech Team are extremely good at what they do. I know that’s broad, but it’s hard to find developers who are both responsive and accountable to their work.

Are there any areas UPTech Team could improve?

In the interest of always getting better, they could improve on the testing of the app. I come from an interactive background and I know what’s it’s like, but just making sure the app is 100% before presenting to the client would be the only thing I could suggest.

They’ve been perfect.
    There have been a couple instances where they could have tested more before presenting to me.