Apps for bold ideas ✌️ Mobile & Web

Uptech is a Ukrainian outsourcing Design and Development company. We help innovative companies bring bold ideas to life and launch mobile and web apps.

What services we provide:

1. Discovery Stage (Business analysis)
  2. UX/UI design
  3. Mobile App Development
  4. Website Development

What apps we create:

• iOS apps (using Swift)
  • Android apps (using Java, Kotlin)
  • Cross-platform mobile apps (using React Native)
  • Web apps (using JavaScript, ReactJS, NodeJS, Java, Ruby on Rails, HTML/CSS)

By working with us, you not only get a 5-star product. You get smooth communication, full support, and openness. Why? Uptech is fully transparent and honest. This lets our teamwork like one organism and delivers service beyond expectation.

Our expertise:

• Healthcare
  • Fintech
  • E-commerce
  • Drone apps
  • On-demand apps (like Uber)
  • Streaming apps (like HQ Trivia)

To know the price and duration of development, contact us at [email protected]. We’ll specify the features of your app and provide you a full time&cost estimate.

Let’s make your idea real!

Uptech
Oleksandra Dovzhenka St, 3
Kyiv, KV 03057
Ukraine
Uptech
3415 South Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90034

Unilever(DSC), Drone BaseAspiration, Ripkord.tv (HQ Trivia-like),  Freebird Rides(Uber-like), Sprent, Supporter.no, Free2Move, ArtKive, Rivals, Audiojoy, Butter(Instagram-like)

Dollar Shave Club (Unilever)

Dollar Shave Club makes and delivers everything you need to look, feel, and shave like a million bucks!

☝️ 2017 Webby Award Winner for Best Shopping App

⭐ 4.8 rating on Play Store

❤️ 98,6% crash-free users

App in Play Store: http://bit.ly/dsc-android

Aspiration

Aspiration is a financial firm you can fall in love with.

4.9+ App rating on App Store

⛹️ 8000+ monthly active users

⭐ 4.3+ rating on App Store

Ripkord.tv on App Store: http://bit.ly/ripkord-tv-app

DroneBase

DroneBase offers professional drone services for every business.

Results:

⚙️ Stability increased from 88% to 99%

❤️ 33 000 monthly active users

ArtKive on App Store: http://bit.ly/artkive-iOS

Freebird Rides

Freebird Rides app brings you to the best bars and restaurants in town.

✅ 98+% crash free users

⭐ 4.5+ App rating on App Store

⚡ 200+ successful rides/week

Freebird in App Store: http://bit.ly/freebird-app

Rivals

Every night is a game night: choose your rivals to play a game with ⚽⚡⚾

Advaice

Advaice is a marketing automation platform which uses AI algorithms to grow your business ✅

Mobile App Dev for Nightlife Promotion Platform

“All of their team members are straightforward, guiding us through each step of the project.”

May 2018 - Ongoing

UPTech Team completely rebuilt iOS and Android versions of an event promotion app. They successfully fixed all major bugs and continue to add updates, like a unique image feature and a ticket-selling tool.

Founder & CEO, Promotion App

With minimal marketing efforts, the app is gaining popularity. Users praise the platform for its design and performance. UPTech Team consistently meets expectations with their determined work ethic, technical competency, and responsive communication skills, delivering promising results.

I’m the founder and CEO of a nightlife promotional platform that allows representatives from clubs, bars, and lounges, party planners, musicians, and DJs to share their events. Other users can browse the app, find upcoming parties or performances in specific cities, and directly contact promotors to RSVP and request a place on VIP guest lists or bottle service.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

I worked with two different agencies before hiring UPTech Team; both promised to develop my apps from scratch. The first agency didn’t complete the Android version, prompting me to take legal action. The second completed the apps, but there was a major bug in the Android version that wouldn’t allow promoters to upload their events. Initially, the developer said that he’d fix the problems and make some updates within 30 days, but that soon turned into a full year. Following those negative experiences, I started looking for a new team to fix the previous mistakes.

UPTech Team completely rebuilt both the Android and iOS versions of our app. They redid the backend and fully optimized the design, prioritizing a seamless flow and a user-friendly interface. All bugs and performance issues are fixed, and we’ve rolled out several updates. Their team also set us up with a new server and administrative panel. The app itself is far from finished; we plan to continue adding new features with the UPTech Team.

Our platform offers a unique design functionality to help promotors. Because our users are scattered throughout a variety of areas, we programmed the app’s background image to match the city in which they’re looking for events. We also included a ticket-selling tool. Most platforms similar to ours just include a link, but our app creates a direct channel for promoters to sell tickets to their audiences.

We work with Dima (Co-Founder, UPTech Team), who acts as a team leader. He helped us analyze the old apps to scope out the work that needed to be done. We have an additional main point of contact that handles everything else, from questions to contracts. Farther into the project, I began speaking with members of their design team and one of their developers, Roman (iOS Developer, UPTech Team), who manages the technical work.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

I met Shervin at a meetup event for app development. I considered five other companies, but UPTech Team showed the most interest in my project, discussing its different elements. I was introduced to Dima and ultimately chose to work with his team.

Confidential.

We started working together in May 2018, and the project is ongoing.

With UPTech Team’s help, we launched the app, and it’s elicited unanimously positive feedback, both from our staff and our users. We haven’t done any marketing at all yet, but we’re still seeing great results. Recently, I attended a venue opening event hosted by a promotional company that uses the platform. They praised the app for its design and performance.

UPTech Team consistently offers high-quality services. In retrospect, it was a blessing to have worked with those previous developers because now, I can better appreciate UPTech Team’s professionalism and work ethic. We didn’t expect the app to be completed until around October, but they finished it early.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

Their staff is young, determined, and highly competent. I can email them with questions, problems, or feedback, and someone from their team responds immediately. With other developers, I wouldn’t hear back for days or weeks. Overall, UPTech team is a great agency.

Our level of communication is good. They deliver on their promises and don’t give us any false information. All of their team members are straightforward, guiding us through each step of the project.

I have no complaints; their service is on point.

I highly recommend them. If I had enough money to buy their team for myself, I’d do it. If they can complete my complex app from scratch, they can do anything.

I’ve recommended them to a couple of colleagues.

Mobile Development for On-Demand Delivery App

“The quality of their work is fantastic; I can’t say enough good things about their service.”

UPTech Team provides development services for a delivery app. They’ve completed a notification system, integrated payment and messaging gateways, and linked the app to the Google Maps API for order tracking.

Saudi Arabia
Mahmoud Haji
CEO, Sprent App

The app boasts 10,000 monthly active users and 100,000 completed orders. UPTech Team’s development work decreased crash rates significantly, improving the app’s performance. In the ongoing partnership, the team consistently shows strong communication skills and a dedicated work ethic.

I’m the CEO of Sprent, an on-demand delivery application that allows customers to order items from any story in our city and have it delivered within an hour. Founded in 2016, our business relies on freelancers to deliver the goods from stored to doorsteps.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

I was working with a different company to develop my app’s backend, admin panel, and both the customer- and deliverer-facing versions for iOS and Android devices. Once we finalized those dealings, we engaged UPTech Team to make some enhancements, handle maintenance, and continue to develop new features and fix bugs.

UPTech Team is involved in the entire development scope for our app, mainly providing front- and backend development. We provide a basic guide of the features we’re looking for; then they draft a UI/UX design and corresponding wireframes. So far, we’ve integrated multiple extensions, including implementing a one-click answering system for push notifications, integrating Twilio as a messaging gateway and HyperPay to manage payments, and linking the app to the Google Maps API.

The market feature is the core of our application. Once we receive an order, the app determines the location and assigns the delivery to the nearest freelancer. The system provides real-time status updates, allowing customers to track their products through Google Maps.

Our primary point of contact is our project manager, Dima (Co-Founder and Team Lead, UPTech Team).

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

While working with the previous company, we began looking for a new provider that offered a higher quality of service and better understood our business. We looked online for reputable companies that fell within our budget. We shortlisted 3­–4 companies, all located in Eastern Europe. After interviewing each, we determined that UPTech Team met our criteria best.

We spent around $30,000.

We started working with UPTech in January 2018, and it’s an ongoing collaboration.

Currently, we have a total of more than 10,000 monthly active users on both the Android and iOS apps, and we’ve completed more than 100,000 orders. Before partnering with UPTech Team, our crash-free rate fluctuated between 85%–90%. Now, our iOS app is 100% crash-free, and the Android rate has reached 97%. The quality of their work is fantastic; I can’t say enough good things about their service.

As we start another project, we’re considering asking UPTech Team to help with the development. I’m satisfied with their approach, focusing on the business itself, rather than just the development. They show a real interest in our vision and a commitment to meeting our expectations with each feature that they develop.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

I directly interact with both the project manager and their team of developers, mainly communicating via Slack. We share our status, milestones, detailed explanations, urgent issues, and our plans for each sprint. The entire team is responsive to all of my requests.

I am most impressed by how they develop a proper understanding of the business before writing any code. Also, they’re a friendly team with a great office environment. I spent two weeks in Ukraine, working with them in person.

They can improve in terms of UX/UI design. The team is a bit weak in that regard, but they’re improving.

Android & iOS Dev for Social Friend App

"We love working with them and are looking forward to a long-lasting relationship."

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

UPTech Team contributed to two development projects: Android bug fixes and UX/UI development for iOS. In the end, they launched a new version of the Android app and developed ad API’s for iOS.

Dan Flanegan
CEO, Butter

Bugs have decreased nearly 100% and user engagement has grown. UPTech Team continually produces top-quality work and is a key part of the product development process. They are eager to find innovative solutions and are an ideal partner for ongoing engagements.

I’m the CEO of Butter, a social app about making new friends.

For what projects/services did your company hire UPTech Team?

We needed them to help update our iOS app and design a brand-new UI/UX for our Android app.

We wanted to launch a new version of our Android app and integrate new API’s for ads into our iOS app.

They were recommended to us by a friend.

They worked with both Android and iOS, fixing bugs and developing new API's respectively. They also worked on UI/UX issues.

We worked with a great mix of design, development, and QA resources.

Android bug issues have decreased nearly 90% since the new version launched, and our engagement across both apps has increased.

It’s great and it continues to be an amazing relationship. We worked collaboratively, sharing our goals and managing the project through standard project management tools.

Their team has been great to work with consistently. Not only is their quality superb, but they’re always around to hunt down answers to our most pressing questions regarding product development. We love working with them and are looking forward to a long-lasting relationship.

There aren’t any that I can think of.

React Native Dev for Online Flight Subscription Platform

“They’re straightforward and honest.”

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Using React Native and Firebase, UPTech Team built a mobile application for Android and iOS for a flight subscription service featuring customizable push notifications. They continue on in a maintenance role.

Owner, Subscription Platform

As a result of UPTech Team’s high-quality work, both platforms garnered high rankings and positive user feedback. They delivered comprehensive services, managing all the details needed. The team offers thorough, professional, and dependable services.

I’m the founder of an online subscription website that gives people great deals on flights.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

I needed to build a mobile app for my users because we only had a web version.

We had an idea and they created the wireframes. They managed everything that had to do with the mobile app. They planned it out, did the user interface, user experience, design work, coding, and guided us through the process. The app sends push notifications to users whenever we announce flight deals. It allows them to change their settings that are integrated with the backend of our website. We used React Native and Firebase for the push notification features.

The project is complete, but they’re helping with upkeep. They add small features and fixes as needed. We’ll be working on more changes and bigger projects in the near future with them.

There were three developers and a project manager.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

Someone I knew worked with them before and recommended them. We chose to work with them because they’re straightforward and honest. I could tell they’re a good company. I chose them over lower bids.

The app cost $20,000.

We started working together in August 2017 and the work is ongoing.

In the U.K., we’re ranked as the second most-trending app on Google Play and have an average rating of 4.8. We're the fifth highest-grossing travel app in the App Store, and have a 4.7 average rating.

Anytime they see bugs, they take time to make sure they’re fixed.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. I’m sincerely happy with them. I’ll definitely work with them again on any projects that I’m working on in the future. We have ongoing communication with them. We use Slack and have met in person as well.

They’re a young team, but very professional. They adapted well to the way I do business and I was very impressed by that. They were well suited for my project.

I’ve already recommended them to quite a few people.

WordPress & CRM Dev for Physical Therapy Marketplace

"They always deliver everything we need the first time we ask for it."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

UPTech Team is building a landing page using WordPress and designing its UX/UI. Their team is also connecting a CRM system to the page and configuring the web hub and API to third-party services.

CEO, Physical Therapy Care

UPTech continues to deliver high-quality code and immediately addresses any bugs or errors. Their team’s rapid development, cost-effective work, and adherence to project requests are hallmarks of their work.

I am the founder of a company that provides a marketplace for physical therapy.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech Team?

We needed UPTech for backend development.

Using our wireframes and mockups, UPTech’s team is building our landing page using WordPress and designed the UX/UI. Their team connects our CRM system to that page and configures the web hub and API to third-party services.

Their work allows our content to be amassed on one main page and they utilize gravity forms to pull data—to connect to Facebook and AdWords.

My main point of contact is a project manager, who is also the lead developer. I also worked with one other developer.

How did you come to work with UPTech Team?

A colleague recommended them to me.

We invested $10,000–$50,000 so far.

We started working with them in December 2016 and the engagement is ongoing.

They deliver all projects on time without any crashes or bugs—addressing those immediately. We are very happy with the quality of their code so far.

How did UPTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate face-to-face sometimes, use Slack, and other management tools. They always deliver everything we need the first time we ask for it.

Their speed of delivery, high-quality work, and price point impressed us.

No, I don’t see anything yet.

Make sure to have a solid project already going. Nail down your wireframes upfront and it’ll eliminate a lot of mistakes.

There can always be improvements.

Development of Video Streaming Platform

Their work is reliable and professional.

June 2016 - Ongoing

UPTech delivered a custom video streaming platform built on a Wowza embeddable HTML5 media player. They developed the backend using Amazon ECUs. Ongoing support includes tweaks and adding new features.

CEO, Video Production Company

UPTech’s product features unbeatable video quality. Company revenue has tripled since implementing the service, which clients enthusiastically praise. The platform broke a competitor’s monopolistic hold on a market niche. Using a prompt and responsive project manager streamlined communication.

I’m the owner and founder of a video production business that specializes in market research.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech?

I wanted to create a custom-built live streaming platform and lacked the necessary programming capabilities in-house.

When I first hired UPTech, I described my initial idea of how the platform should look, feel, and function. After a couple of discussions, they put together a comprehensive proposal and began development. Since they built out the platform, we've had an open, ongoing dialogue to consistently tweak and improve the platform. In terms of specific technology, they used Amazon ECUs and a Wowza embeddable HTML5 media streaming player.

Live streaming has only recently become readily available. It's on the cusp of development. Especially in terms of programming, it's not the easiest technology to build. We’re always looking for the most cost-effective way to provide this service to my clients. I mainly work with large movie and video game companies. Our web-based platform is useful for virtually any company that conducts research. A different design agency worked on the frontend, which actually turned out quite similar to UPTech’s initial barebones backend design.

I had one point of contact and may have spoken to three resources total. I've noticed that three people are usually CC'ed on my emails. Our project manager relayed info to the rest of the team. Having all communications go through one person suits my personal preference.

How did you come to work with UPTech?

Initially, I was debating between building a custom platform myself or outsourcing the work to a developer. Certain companies offer live streaming services for $10,000 a year, compared to UPTech’s affordable, one-time cost. I found them through a personal reference. I researched examples of work they’d done for other clients. They definitely seemed able to get the job done, so I hired them.

I've spent around $20,000 on their services.

Our project began in June of 2016. As with most tech projects, it never really ends because there's always more to add. As more clients become interested in this service, they constantly request new functions I outsource to UPTech. I continually hire them to refine it. If we stopped working on it today, however, the product would still be fully functional.

Since we built this platform, I've been tripling my revenue metrics compared to last year. Their work is reliable and professional. I can control and tweak every aspect. The custom design is critical; if my clients are spending thousands of dollars for this service, it shouldn't have a generic logo at the bottom. The audio and visual quality outperforms my competitors in the live streaming market. It looks professional and functions as desired, which are my two most important criteria.

My clients are super happy. The current market leader in my particular niche had held a longtime monopoly and refused to innovate. They appreciate that there’s a better, more flexible alternative now. None of them seems to have any issues with the platform's development. When bugs pop up, UPTech solves them pretty quickly. The platform functions smoothly and is an awesome new piece of technology.

How did UPTech perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a good job. In any business relationship, it takes time to figure out response style and level of self-motivation. As a business owner, it's important to set a precedent for the level of communication you prefer. Once we found our flow, the project progressed really well. Initially, there were a couple of missed deadlines. Once we collectively stepped it up, we really started to see results. We mostly touched base through Skype or email, and occasionally used WhatsApp.

The quality of their work speaks for itself. That's what it comes down to. I ordered a project, and they delivered what I wanted. They took responsibility for any problems we encountered, and the final product is great.

My only qualm would be the amount of time it took. They could work on their timeliness and punctuality. Communication was very prompt, though. Every time I wrote an e-mail, it was quickly answered.

Touch base with UPTech weekly.

Website for Used Car Auction Platform

“Their quality, experience, and transparency were impressive.”

June - Dec. 2017

UPTech built an online platform for the trade of used cars. Featuring an auction feature, the platform was developed from scratch, first as a prototype, and then the final system.

Kiev, Ukraine
CMO, Offlease Hub

The platform is yet to launch, but was well received internally and the site’s design was particularly praised. The team provided excellent suggestions, with their recommendations significantly improving the final product, all while maintaining an open and transparent business partnership.

Offlease Hub is an online platform for selling and buying used cars. I’m the chief marketing officer, responsible for promotion, marketing, and sales.

What challenge were you trying to address with UPTech?

We wanted to create the platform and needed a team who could develop it for us.

We discussed the project with UPTech Team and they sent me questions about it. I described my vision and provided them with brief information, as well as several of our competitors’ sites. Based off that information, they developed a prototype from scratch. I then gave feedback about what I liked and disliked.

The website is an auction system focused on the B2B market, as most of our customers are dealers. All of our cars are from official dealers and pass certification so we can guarantee the quality of the car.

There were 5 or 6 people that I communicated with. I don’t know how many people worked on the backend but there was a team lead, a web designer, a tester, and a developer.

How did you come to work with UPTech?

Their office is in the same building as ours and I saw they were a big team. I did some research and found that they work a lot with the U.S. market. That was confirmation for me that they had the capability to take on a difficult project. Their price was average, but I decided to try them because I like how they communicated with me. They asked questions and provided ideas.

$15,000.

We started working together in June 2017 until December 2017.

Everyone in our company is satisfied with the work, including our co-founder, who liked the site and its design. We aren’t online yet but expect to launch in March. I don’t know if there are any bugs, but right now everything is working.

How did UPTech perform from a project management standpoint?

It was excellent. We used Messenger to communicate and all my questions were answered within 15–20 minutes. There were no problems with communication and I liked how they organized everything. I didn’t always know exactly what I wanted, so I liked that they gave me choices.

They’re very open and transparent. I was supposed to provide content for the website and didn’t make it in time, but they pushed me. They not only organized their work, but helped me to organize my tasks as well.

Their quality, experience, and transparency were impressive. They were eager to discuss any questions, were very organized, and never missed deadlines.

I don’t know anything they can improve. In my eyes, they did the job perfectly.

Believe in the team. If they suggest something, you should listen to them. They will help you to realize the project at the highest level. I’m very happy that I listened and did what they recommended.

Android & iOS App Development for Prometheus MOOC Platform

“UPTech challenged the existing prototypes and took them to a completely new level.”

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

UPTech Team helped launch mobile apps for an online learning platform.  Using provided prototypes, the team completed the apps and made several improvements, including re-coding a video playback functionality.

Ukraine
Ivan Primachenko
CEO, Prometheus

The app has received positive feedback since its launch and generated an increase in users. UPTech Team improved upon the existing products and delivered a solution that was stable and suitable for an audience of over 500,000 users. They are unafraid to question requests and offer better solutions.

Prometheus is a platform for free, massive, open online courses with 500,000 registered users. We are a non-governmental organization and our main goal is to spread online education in Ukraine. I'm the CEO of this organization.

For what projects/services did your company hire UPTech Team?

Our platform is built on the Open edX engine. We had updated the engine to the latest version and needed to launch mobile apps for it.

We wanted to create mobile apps for Android and iOS with the following features for our users:

• Stream class videos via Wi-Fi or cellular connection

• Download course videos to watch anytime

• Test your knowledge with basic quizzes and exams

• View course announcements and handouts

• Follow-along course videos with closed captions

We selected UPTech from the advice of two of our partners.

We gave UPTech the existing prototypes of the Android and iOS apps updated with the Open edX latest version. We reconfigured our servers to communicate with the apps. The rest of the technology was built by UPTech based on the provided prototypes and our technical specifications. We had very detailed requirements, but UPTech challenged the existing prototypes and took them to a completely new level. They could re-code video playback functionality in such a way that the apps could stream course videos directly from our servers. UPTech built a solution that ensured that our mobile apps are stable and suitable to be used by our large student audience. We have been working with UPTech since March 2017. We still need quite some time until we're done, since we have a massive stack of technology to carry out. We have no intention of canceling the collaboration with UPTech; we are very happy with our collaboration efforts.

We worked with one project manager and two developers.

Our mobile apps went live in the summer of 2017 and have already increased our audience. With the ability to “learn on the go,” more people have become interested in our platform and it's really due to what UPTech has built in a short timeframe. We have gotten very positive feedback from our students. Also, we have agreements in place that would not have been possible without UPTech's apps.

The project management is very well done. Their approach is clear and the lead on the project is both capable and committed, which is echoed by the team of subordinates. They have delivered everything faster than we expected.

I believe it's a part of UPTech's slogan, namely that “the customer isn't always right.” Their customer base appreciates that; you want a developer that can come up with a better solution. UPTech can do this much better than other companies, who simply build what they are told to and don't question requests when it's necessary to.

We are fully satisfied with the cooperation and have already recommended UPTech to our partners.

Android App Development for Shaving Brand

"I have nothing but positive things to say about working with UpTech."

n/a

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

UpTech provided Android app development services to Dollar Shave Club, a monthly subscription grooming product supplier, effectively integrating with their in-house team to create the end product.

Marina del Rey, California
Melissa Williams
Product Manager, Dollar Shave Club

Although their work elicited positive responses both in-house and within the user base, what stood out the most about UpTech’s work was their consistency and collaborative skills. They willingly shared expertise and were able to keep track of the many moving parts within a complex operation.

I am the mobile app product manager for a Dollar Shave Club.

What challenge were you trying to address with UpTech?

We have very active members and we wanted to give them a great, seamless way to maintain their subscription with us and keep them engaged beyond just the subscription itself. The best way for us to achieve those goals was through a mobile app, which would provide them with account management tools as well as additional content to encourage engagement.

Recruiting and maintaining talent in the mobile development space is hard. Our company initially was just a website, so moving into the mobile space was new territory for us. UpTech began work with us about a year before I came on board, so I can only speak to the time that we have overlapped. UpTech does our Android development, since we have an in-house team that takes care of the iOS app.

In terms of actual features that we develop and implement within the app, UpTech is part of the planning stage. We do not just give them running orders. They are highly collaborative, and we all meet frequently as a group—the engineers from UpTech, our design and UX team, and myself—to brainstorm and discuss features. Our UX team will then provide UpTech with designs and wireframes. As a group, we all estimate the level of effort required to implement those features and then break everything down into smaller tasks.

They began working with us back in October 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

The last I checked, our Android app rating in the Google Play store was around a 4.8 out of 5 stars, which is very high. We have a ton of great user reviews, and we get consistently excellent feedback from our customers.

How did UpTech perform from a project management standpoint?

For a while we used Trello for project management, but we recently moved over to Jira. The transition from one to the other with UpTech has been more or less seamless, and they caught on to the new system quickly. Our whole mobile app team has regular meetings, to which they regularly attend. We have a stand-up once a week and a morning check-in the other four days of the week. They have been good at giving advance notice when they have vacations or paid time off coming up. Because we have these regular meetings, our whole team—including UpTech—has become fairly adept at being able to estimate how much work we can get done in a two-week sprint.

Even though their scope is specifically Android, we have a lot of interaction between all of our teams; mobile apps, site, backend services and infrastructure. A lot of our work and updates require significant coordination with these different teams, and UpTech has been great about communicating consistently with everyone involved.

One thing I have really appreciated is that we have mostly been able to work with the same developers. I have worked with other contractors where you are constantly onboarding somebody new as developers move between projects. The consistency with UpTech has been really nice. They have integrated seamlessly with our in-house team, to the extent that we no longer see them as contracted resources, but as our Android developers. Although a time difference is often an issue in such types of partnerships, it has never been a problem for us. They adjusted their schedules to meet at times that were convenient for our office in Los Angeles. I have nothing but positive things to say about working with UpTech, and have genuinely enjoyed our collaboration, particularly in regards to seeking their advice. They have responded very well to us sharing our ideas and general goals with them.

Nothing that would speak to UpTech specifically. Any challenges that we have faced are the kind that you face with any team, whether it be a contractor or in-house. They have been a vital and vocal part of the process as we continue to improve our overall approach to mobile development.

Lean on their expertise in Android, seek out their thoughts and advice to ensure that you are designing and building the end product in a way that makes sense. Including them within the overall process is essential for an effective workflow and positive final result.

• N/A Cost

Augmented Mobile Development for Drone Piloting Apps

"They’re good, solid engineers who’ve helped us create a challenging, one-of-a-kind product."

July 2017 - Ongoing

UpTech provided staff augmentation to assist with the development of a drone piloting app. Available for both iOS and Android, the complex app connects phones to drones and transmits data to host servers.

Santa Monica, California
Co-Founder, Drone Services Co.

UpTech’s technical expertise introduced new solutions to the in-house team, ultimately creating a better product. Highly transparent, they communicate on a daily basis and monitor progress through project management tools. Solid engineers, they’ve helped craft a one-of-a-kind product.

I’m the CTO of a company that sells aerial photographs to a variety of customers, including real estate, construction, and insurance firms.

What challenge were you trying to address with UpTech Team?

We needed to augment our in-house engineering team to build our mobile apps.

While I realize it’s common for companies to outsource entire projects, we preferred to maintain the product’s specs and design in-house. We hired UpTech to support our senior engineer and integrated them as members of our team.

Together, they’ve designed a complex mobile app for iOS and Android. Intended for drone pilots, it allows users to see which drone missions are available and then connects the cellphone to the drone’s SDK for easy piloting.

The app also connects to our servers so we can receive data.

We hired four team members, two for iOS and two for Android.

Any team member went through a two-part process. I conducted an initial interview and passed their information to our senior engineer if I thought the individual was suitable. If the engineer approved, then they were added to the project.

How did you come to work with UpTech Team?

We have an in-house recruiter who stays in contact with other companies. One of his contacts recommended UpTech, so we reached out them and they began sending us résumés and setting up interviews.

Around $100,000.

We started working together in July 2017 and our relationship is ongoing. The iOS version has launched, with the Android version set to follow in the coming weeks.

Their Android engineers recommended moving to clean architecture when they first came on board, a proposal our in-house engineers hadn’t considered. UpTech’s engineers introduced the concept, explaining how it utilized different layers to create an organized, logical grouping, and this ended up being an effective way to structure the app.

How did UpTech Team perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very transparent. We stay organized through daily sendups wherein they communicate their status. We also rely on project management tools like Trello and Jira. In this way, each task is represented as a work item we can monitor.

I interviewed them myself, so I can speak to the technical depth of their team members. They’re good, solid engineers who’ve helped us create a challenging, one-of-a-kind product.

I can't think of anything.

I would recommend using our two-part interview process, which worked well for us. Keeping the product specs and design in-house also ensured we had ultimate control over the product’s quality.