Rock-Solid Digital Solutions

We design, develop and operate unique web services and mobile apps. Our open-minded approach helps us to create strong partnerships with every customer we engage with - and to combine their existing ideas and concepts with our strong expertise in planning, designing and creating user-friendly web and mobile solutions.

Many of the services we have developed for our customers include interactive elements, such as location-based services and fast connections to 3rd party hardware and back-end systems. We use the latest web and mobile technologies to enhance the core processes of our clients and our results look great on all devices.

• 222/54 Maliwan Road Tambon BanPed
    Amphoe Mueang Khonkaen
    Thailand
  • Abu Dhabi
    United Arab Emirates
  • Ho Chi Minh City
    Vietnam

Likennevirta Oy/Virta Ltd (https://virta.global/), Talokeskus Oy (http://www.talokeskus.fi/), Rakennustieto Oy (https://www.rakennustieto.fi/), Goland Group Oy (http://goland.fi/ / http://tiloja.fi/) or Epecci Oy (http://www.ecocity.fi/).

Other smaller customers (incl startups) are Flioz, SpotDigger (award winning app in 2013), Uplause, NappiNaapuri or Pelastakaa Lapset Ry

Talokeskus Oy (part I) - Tampuuri ERP solution for real estate industry

Talokeskus Yhtiöt offers services and products for the Finnish real estate businesses for all phases during the property lifecycle from planning and construction management to energy management and building maintenance consultancy and services.

Talokeskus’ Tampuuri ERP solution is the most widely used real estate software product in Finland with 1.9M inhabitants living in a home managed by Tampuuri. IWA has been

working together with Talokeskus since December 2014 developing its Tampuuri Tablet iOS and Android apps.

The new digital rescue plan service 'Turvakohde.fi’ from Talokeskus, as described in "Talokeskus Oy (part II), has been seamlessly integrated in the real estate ERP system Tampuuri.

Rakennustieto - promoting good and sound building and property management practises

Rakennustieto, Building Information Group, is a publishing house and the leading provider of construction-related information and literature in Finland. Together with its parent organization, Rakennustietosäätiö RTS, and their predecessors, they have been promoting good and sound building and property management practices since the beginning of the 20th century.

IWA has been working with Rakennustieto since early

2013, when Rakennustieto started gearing up development efforts to digitalise their online services. Since then IWA has delivered series of successful projects to both Rakennustieto and Rakennustietosäätiö RTS.

The latest fruits of the cooperation can be seen across the recently launched new generation of Rakennustieto’s core online services. Their user interfaces are based on Rakennustieto’s new proprietary user interface library, which, in turn, is based on the Bootstrap framework, and developed and maintained by IWA.

Another recent example of the successful cooperation is Rakennustieto’s new RT Tietoväylä, which provides the Rakennustieto’s end users with a single unified channel to access all of Rakennustieto’s service offering. The new RT Tietoväylä, also based on Rakennustieto’s new user interface library, can be found at rt.rakennustieto.fi.

Flioz - making investment in stock market easy and fun!

Flioz is Helsinki, Finland based FinTech startup founded by a team of experienced finance professionals dedicated to make investing in stock markets profitable, easy and fun. By teaming up with IWA, Flioz found a likeminded technology provider fuelled with startup spirit to turn their vision into reality.

The cooperation with Flioz started with a small UX design project where IWA identified the planned app’s core

features and designed the initial user flow with wireframes. In order to build the app as native iOS mobile app IWA used Ruby on Rails backend system for handling the 3rd party stock market data. A management web-dashboard for managing the app’s editorial content and sellable portfolios has been built in as well.

As a part of the development IWA also included several analytics and advertising SDKs into the app and gave Flioz founders an introduction to lean analytics methodology and key startup metrics. The app was launched in April 2016 is now helping scores of people interested in stock market investing in finding winning portfolio strategies in today’s heavily fluctuating stock markets.

The initial version of the Flioz mobile app for the iOS platform was launched after 8 months of development in April 2016. This achievement was made possible by effective co-operation of a truly multidisciplinary project team, combining expertise of both Flioz and IWA personnel. Agile prototyping and quick build-test cycles allowed Flioz to refine and develop the app’s concept even when the development work was already ongoing.

Talokeskus Oy (part II) - making legally obliged rescue plans available online

Turvakohde.fi is Talokeskus’ new digital rescue plan service, which has been seamlessly integrated with its real estate ERP system Tampuuri, as describe in

"Talokeskus Oy (part I). The service allows both private and commercial properties to publish their legally obligated rescue plans online to allow easy and instant access for tenants and other stakeholders.

Talokeskus selected IWA to develop the service in the in the summer of 2016. As the core of the solution, open source Ruby on Rails backend framework was chosen, as it is IWA’s preferred backend software development approach for functional online services.

Alongside the consumer-facing rescue plan features, Turvakohde.fi includes comprehensive administration functionalities, including tools for adding new rescue plans and conducting property-specific safety audits.

The development work of Turvakohde.fi was completed using iterative Scrum agile project model.

Goland Group Oy - How to digitalise real estate marketing

Goland Group is the leading provider of online marketing solutions for the real estate industry in Finland. Operating its own flagship commercial real estate portal Tiloja.fi and tens of customer and property specific portals and marketing sites, Goland serves more than 50 real estate investors, developers and brokers in the Nordic countries. Since 2010, IWA has been Goland’s key partner in digitalization of

commercial real estate marketing.

In addition of taking full responsibility of technical development and operations of all Goland Group’s online services, IWA is also providing service strategy and design consultation.

VIRTA eCar Charging App

Virta is an e-car charging station service for its registered members. Users can use the Virta card and mobile app to find and reserve charging stations within Europe and pay with only few steps directly at Virta charging stations. Virta service can now also be used for international eRoaming in select European markets.

IWA has developed the native apps for iOs, Android and Windows phones focusing on

simplifying the user experience in few steps only. Because IWA´s strong experience in building location based services they have improved the map service and added the possibility to rate charging stations.

Web Dev for Guitar Lesson Platform

“I felt happy and it was good value.”

Aug, 2017 – Ongoing

IWA rebuilt a website from scratch and developed a custom CMS. They made the new site responsive and created a user login dashboard that allows users to save their progress, favorite songs and lessons.

Justin Sandercoe
Justin Guitar Ltd.

Tremendously positive user feedback indicates that IWA’s work was a success. The innovative team contributed helpful ideas that added value to the site. They accurately estimated the costs and schedule and demonstrated strong enthusiasm and concern for the success of the project.

I’m the owner and director of Justin Guitar. I teach guitar to people online.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd?

I was looking for a web developer to remake my website. I created the previous site. I do a little bit of coding with HTML and basic PHP. I’d been doing it for 10 years, but I couldn’t deal with things like responsive websites. I needed a custom CMS.

I worked with another developer to build a framework, and most of the UX was already done. I had a good, tight brief for them, which changed slightly during the project. We decided to go with a custom CMS. Their team of developers built the site from scratch.

We did it in a few phases. Phase one was to build a framework that was roughly the same as the old website and import all the data but make it responsive. Then, I started working on the data while they were working on phase two, which was incorporating a user dashboard and ability for users to sign in. Phase three was to make sure everything was right and responded well, tweaking the UX. We’re currently working on phase four, which is incorporating new features for the users.

The big part was making a user dashboard. When a user signs in, they can save favorite lessons for later. On the dashboard, they can find where they were on their guitar learning journey easily, whether it was in progress or completed, and find the songs that they like. The dashboard also tracks if they made donations to the site or if they purchased anything through the site.

I had one main lead developer. There were at least 5–6 people involved who I didn’t communicate with directly.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd?

I’d worked with the owner of IWA on another project for another company in the guitar sector. He was the first person I seriously thought about employing to do the job.

We started working together in August 2017 and the work is ongoing.

Loads of positive feedback indicate that everybody loves the website. In guitar land, there are a lot of internet nerds and programmers that seem to like the guitar as well. I get a lot of strong, opinionated feedback, and it was overwhelmingly positive for the new site. The few people who didn’t like it were older people that didn’t like change and found it confusing.

How did IWA Ltd perform from a project management standpoint?

They were exceptionally flexible. I change my mind if I think of a better way of doing things. They’re great at dealing with me doing that because it’s probably a frustrating thing for a developer. They had positive ideas and concepts that I hadn’t thought of that turned out to be excellent.

They were on budget and on schedule. A lot of things were finished sooner than we thought, which was great. The budgeting was spot on. It was a fair price and wasn’t biased one way or another. They gave me a quote on the initial agreement of the project. There were some additional charges for things I added that were way off target. I felt happy and it was good value.

I had a Skype conversation with the lead developer every week, and sometimes, twice a week. We chatted and explored ideas through Skype. We also used Asana, which was the best way to communicate things to make sure everyone had a clear understanding.

They’re nice people. They really cared compared to other developers I’ve worked with. They cared about it being a successful project. It’s possibly the best guitar resource for anybody wanting to learn guitar. It’s the best you can get, but it’s free. They embraced that and made sure to give me a good value because they liked the concept.

There were some communication problems with the DevOps doing the hosting and technical stuff. They were sometimes a bit slow when I needed results right away. I was a little frustrated with the developers hoping things were going to get done sooner, mainly when we got to the testing stage. It wasn’t a big deal and was resolved quickly.

Overall Score They struck me as good people, and that counts a lot in my book.
    It was expensive but fair.

Property Management System Architecture Design for Real Estate Firm

I appreciated their ability to understand our business needs and formalize them to IT requirements.”

Sept. - Dec. 2017

IWA designed a systems architecture for a property management platform as well as a development roadmap, including the work and cost quotes.

Investment Director, Real Estate Firm

IWA’s in-depth understanding of the business allowed the team to translate the desired needs into a comprehensive roadmap for the system. Their communication skills proved crucial in conveying the technical needs and potential difficulties.

I’m the investment director at a real estate investment company based in Finland.

For what projects/services did your company hire IWA Ltd?

We’re currently in the process of setting up a new hotel and apartment business, so we needed resources to develop a property management system.

We wanted to define the system’s functionality and design architecture.

A colleague referred them to us.

The project involved three phases: first, they collaborated with us to understand our business’s functionality needs. They then designed the architecture for the system. Finally, they defined a roadmap for the development, providing both work and cost estimates.

They assigned a senior architect/developer and a UI developer.

IWA performed really well over the project. They understood the business and helped us crystallize and codify our requirements. Furthermore, they were very good at putting all of this down on paper and defining a plan to develop the system.

Their team managed the engagement in a hands-on way. We worked through weekly or bi-weekly sessions, and we communicated over Slack. Overall, this worked very well.

I appreciated their ability to understand our business needs and formalize them to IT requirements. They excel at communicating the system’s needs and the limitations and development challenges caused by them.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Responsive Web Dev for Religious Institution

"They were professional and genuinely interested in the project."

May - Oct. 2017

IWA developed a responsive website and updated an older version that wasn’t mobile-friendly.

Finland
Web Content Specialist, Religious Institution

The new site provided an intuitive and efficient experience. Likewise, the version’s enhanced navigation received positive user feedback. The team was friendly and accessible, but could’ve been more responsive. Overall, they were professional and amiable partners.

I’m the web content specialist for a religious institution in Finland. I produce content for our websites, plan new web services, and organize social media services.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd?

We wanted to provide a service for adults that didn’t finish confirmation school as teenagers. We wanted to offer course completion materials via a computer, smartphone, or iPad. We needed them to make a new version of this service to replace an older version which they completed in 2011.

We planned the upgrade from scratch with IWA. They developed and designed a responsive website that’s compatible with any device. Since they provided the old service, they had the background knowledge, which was helpful. We spent a lot of time talking about our idea and the service, making sure we weren't going to make mistakes. I appreciate that they wanted to deeply understand the idea.

The team included the project manager and a designer.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd?

We had already worked together; they knew our needs.

We spent €34,000 ($41,876 USD).

We worked with them between May–October 2017.

The improved services received positive feedback for improved accessibility and navigation. Users found the new system more intuitive and efficient.

How did IWA Ltd perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager was friendly, open-minded, and responsive. We met nearly 10 times during the engagement. Otherwise, we communicated via email and digital project management platforms.

They were professional and genuinely interested in the project.

The team could’ve responded faster to some situations. But they tried their best to juggle simultaneous projects. Overall, they were a pleasure to engage.

App Dev for Education Marketplace

"I was most impressed with their performance."

Apr. - Oct. 2017

IWA led the design and development of a native tutoring app for both Android and iOS platforms. Tasks included logo design, color selection, and implementation.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Partner, Education Platform

While only in a soft-launch phase, the app received acquisition requests, which speaks to the quality that IWA delivered. The team was punctual, helpful, and accommodating with change requests. They could only improve by growing their team and selling themselves better.

I’m a partner at an education marketplace where our goal is to match up tutors with students who are looking for private sessions. It’s especially focused on teaching second languages.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd?

We wanted a mobile app that could match supply and demand in an organized way, where tutors could set the time that they want to work and students can choose one of those set times.

They designed and developed a native app for iOS and Android; it was a full-stack engagement. I worked alongside IWA in the implementation of the app, as well as with the logo, design, and the color palette selection.

Our main contact was the project manager but there was also a developer and a product manager involved.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd?

I explored freelance and company-based options and chose IWA due to the experience and knowledge they offered.

We invested $15,000.

We worked together from April to October 2017.

We’ve had a soft launch with a small group to gather feedback. One of the suppliers asked to acquire the app.

How did IWA Ltd perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great in this regard. It was a remote engagement so we mainly used Skype to communicate. They delivered quality work on time, all the while being very supportive and cooperative whenever we asked for changes.

I was most impressed with their performance.

They need to expand their team and market themselves more.

WordPress Dev for Performing Arts Site

“They were able to provide good business advice, not just technical knowledge.”

Aug. 2015 - Jan. 2016

IWA built a talent booking site based on an existing WordPress theme. They focused on creating wireframes, PHP coding, and integrating payment features.

Sami Koskela
Co-Founder, BookTheArtists

The site received favorable feedback from artists, which demonstrates the quality of IWA’s coding. They provided valuable business advice in addition to development work, which helped the project progress quickly.

I am a co-founder of BookTheArtists.com.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA?

The challenge was building our website.

IWA developed our website using the Listify WordPress theme. We chose the platform and had a clear vision for going forward, so what we needed from IWA was some PHP coding. The task was not that difficult since the Listify WordPress platform already delivered 80% of the functionalities. The whole service was built on top of the CMS [content management system]. There was some tweaking involved with the payment functionality, WooCommerce.

We didn’t provide wireframes in the classic sense, but we did have sketches, a full description of the process in bullet points, and examples of similar logic from other companies. Based on our input, IWA created our wireframes. Since one of our co-founders is a graphic designer, they didn’t handle graphic design, except for some tweaking. IWA handled the user experience, user journey, and interface development. They also built a calendar functionality.

We were in touch with three people from IWA, but only one was doing software development. I don’t remember that person’s name because we only talked a couple of times, but I remember that he was based in Thailand. Another person from IWA acted as the project owner.

How did you come to work with IWA?

Before we worked with IWA, we’d hired some staff through Upwork, Codable, and other platforms. I looked at Finish IT software companies and noticed IWA. They mentioned human-centric digital solutions, which was the first indication that I would want to work with them. We had a meeting with the founder of IWA, Rami Korhonen. It was a happy coincidence that we came from the same neighborhood.

I checked a few other options, but IWA was slightly smaller than other companies, similar to the one I was working for myself. It made them an obvious choice. When we met with Rami, it was clear that they were not just software developers—they actually understood the business model and logic behind the service.

The cost of their work was $6,000–$7,000. We had a very good deal.

We started working with IWA in August 2015. The service was launched at the beginning of 2016, around January. It was a fast delivery of a minimum viable product, taking into account that my team and I had other full-time jobs at that time. The site is live, but we are not doing anything actively with it because we ran out of money.

We collected feedback constantly from artists and clients alike to determine what was doable. The feedback from artists and customers was positive. They found the site easy to use and liked the design. People wondered why no one else had done something similar before since it made booking live performances for weddings or company parties so much easier. Many of the artists told us that the site allowed them not to keep a band website anymore.

How did IWA perform from a project management standpoint?

We had monthly or biweekly 30-minute meetings with Rami, but the communication was mainly done via email. As they are software developers, they implemented and gave us access to Trello, which works similarly to Slack. However, I don’t like those platforms, so I mostly used email.

We worked with a junior project manager who did very well, in my opinion. We gave him a good LinkedIn recommendation based on his work.

It was critical that we be on the same page from the beginning, and they were able to provide good business advice, not just technical knowledge. Fortunately, we had a fruitful start. Based on my discussions with other IT or tech people, this is not typical. Rami understood the business side as well, which was nice. We had an initial chat with him, looking to see how his company could help, and he understood what we were after immediately. He lived in the US and understood what was happening in Silicon Valley, so he brought value from that point of view.

As with any smaller software company, it’s understandable that there will be some prioritization in favor of bigger projects.

There were a couple of delays, which was understandable.
    IWA did a good job at a nice price point.
    We were quite happy because we got what we ordered. We also got additional development ideas from a business perspective.

iOS & Android Dev for Youth Safety Communication

“They stood out by really understanding our needs and by delivering good products.”

July 2015 - Feb. 2017

IWA Ltd. developed an iOS and Android compatible application, including integration of a chat functionality through Ninchat and scheduling through Google Calendar.

Anniina Lundvall
Advisor, Save The Children - Finland

IWA Ltd.’s team is easygoing and adaptable, and they really dedicated themselves to understanding the customer POV. Ninchat feedback is 70% positive, and users have praised it for its ability to truly help them in tough situations.

I am an Advisor of the Children and Digital Media Team at Save the Children Finland.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd.?

We wanted to reach out to young people to provide them simple online help and support from police officers, social workers, and crime-victim support personnel. There were multiple professionals with the same problem, which was finding young people who needed help. We got together and determined we needed some kind of mobile app, then decided to build it with IWA.

We initially built an Android version of the app, and then built an iOS version. We didn’t have a design, but I did bring in a clear idea of how the app should work. We had to make some fixes to IWA’s work later on, but not many.

There is a WhatsApp-style communication functionality on the app where a young person can send a message, then it’s taken in to identify the problem. It’s either then replied to by us or forwarded to the appropriate support, such as a police officer. This functionality was bought separately from a Finnish service called Ninchat, and IWA embedded the tool.

There is a schedule that details which online services, for young people, are currently open. Users can click on a particular service and go directly to it, and it’s an easy way of finding online counseling. It works based off of the Google Calendar system, which is embedded in the app. The other functionalities were built from scratch by IWA Ltd.

In addition, there are some informational pages about, for example, what to do in the event of cyber-bullying. We can also embed some videos there, and it functions as a self-help tool that provides easily accessible knowledge for people who are in trouble online or offline.

The heavy work was done around the message board system, through which all messages are delivered to us and other members involved (police and victim support professionals). They can see the same questions and can forward them to appropriate people. We can see replies and further progress for each question through a log, which was tricky to build and was something we’ve worked on since the beginning.

We faced the problem of not being able to see questions being addressed to police officers because of Finnish law, which caused us to have to build another version. After making this correction, police officers could see all the posts, but we couldn’t see the messages intended for the officers.

All details, from graphic design to general look, were done together with their team. We had frequent online and face-to-face meetings at their office in Helsinki. I met IWA at least 3 times before going on maternity leave. We had a close collaboration with their design team, as well as with the people responsible for the technology and coding work.

There was one project manager assigned to us from IWA’s side who coordinated a group of developers from Thailand. He was located there, more or less.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd.?

We were doing some benchmarking through other NGOs, as well as conducting Google searches and asking colleagues about developers who were creating similar apps successfully. When we met IWA, it was a match made in heaven. They understood what we wanted and were open to collaborating, as well as rethinking our concept. IWA pushed us to reconsider some of our hopes and wishes, and it was easy to work with them from the beginning. We met some other companies as well, but it was not really successful.

The cost of their work was approximately €80,000 [$95,000].

We started working with IWA in July 2015. The iOS app was published in February 2017, which ended the main part of the work. The project is still ongoing, and we’re able to contact them for support concerning any bugs or technical issues.

The download count has been in the hundreds. We’ve had some problems with the police force where they haven’t been able to use the app as much as we’d hoped. We haven’t been marketing the app very much in 2017 since we’ve been waiting for the police force.

We’ve had both excellent and subpar feedback. Most of the negative comments have revolved around a phone number issue. If someone wants to chat with the police, they have to enter their phone number, and young people are not keen on providing this to the police. When they’ve done it and received help, they usually leave positive feedback and mention how the app helped them. They tell us how great it is to have people available that will help them and answer questions.

The Ninchat tool has an embedded rating system, and around 70% of the feedback is positive. After a young person chats with one of our professionals, they can then rate the app.

How did IWA perform from a project management standpoint?

The development project went well, and I was responsible for designing the mobile app until I went on maternity leave. Someone else then took over the project, but I learned that it was successful and that it was easy to work with IWA.

Things were delivered on schedule, and it was budgeted well, so it was a good project from an economic perspective. The amount of money we invested was well spent, and the product was useful.

I’m not sure what the organization or roadmap approach was initially, but for the iOS version, we used Trello to communicate. It was a good tool for assessing the project situation, what needed to be done, and what IWA needed to know. We also used Slack, had weekly online meetings, and one face-to-face meeting with the project team in the beginning. We already knew each other, and the current app was based on the Android version, so it was a matter of redoing something we already had. It was easy work, from my perspective as local project manager.

I’ve worked on other technology projects, and they tend to require too much time, energy, and money. The collaboration with IWA was nice, and not at all painful.

With previous IT projects, I’ve never had the feeling of being listened to. IWA has tried to understand the customer’s POV and keep their promise of offering support. I’ve mentioned them to other NGOs who inquired about our app. They stood out by really understanding our needs and by delivering good products. It was easy to work with them, and they have a pleasant customer service attitude.

From the project reports, there seems to have been no negative feedback. IWA's team did their best.

I have no negative comments at all. IWA Ltd. was always on time and prepared.
    The cost could always be lower, but the product is good, and it was not the most expensive project in the world.
    They have an excellent service attitude, which I hadn’t seen before. IWA Ltd. replied to our messages within one minute, so it’s easy to be their customer.
    I have done it already.

iOS Dev for Investors

"They were always eager to get our feedback and make things smoother and smoother."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

IWA acted as the development team for a startup developing a native iOS app. They handled frontend, backend, and delivered the MVP based on in-house designs and wireframes. They also helped launch the app.

CEO, Flioz Ltd.

Even without any serious marketing, the app has garnered positive feedback and has a steady flow of downloads. IWA was reliable and communicative despite time zone challenges, and they proved scalable and efficient. They were eager for feedback and essential to helping the project run smoothly.

I am the CEO and founder of Flioz. We are a small startup based in Finland, developing an iOS app for private investors.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA?

We made a revision on our product and service, and needed an outsourced technical developer for the task. We’d had a previous collaboration with a small team, but needed to change them. We came up with IWA, and started working with them.

We discussed different technical options with IWA. I am not a technical person, and neither are my colleagues, so we relied on their judgment around the backend and frontend solution. We built the app natively for iOS, using Swift code. From the backend perspective, it was more their proposal, and it’s been working well.

The graphic design was done more or less in-house, so the project was more about fine-tuning the concept and creating a live version. We needed help with technical development and some launch activities.

The app is a service for private investors. We aim to help them find profitable ventures, benchmark their current investment performances, and develop better ways to invest. We have a variety of investment portfolios which are provided for free, and there is also some premium content. Investors can create their own portfolios from scratch, as well as compare and benchmark their investment performance with our preferred portfolios.

We worked with 4 main contacts, including one of the founders of the company. We also had a dedicated project manager, a main frontend developer, and a second one who helped during the project. We had 1 lead backend developer, and a service and operations person. Overall, there were around 6 people helping us out.

How did you come to work with IWA?

I googled companies with experience in the finance capital area, and came up with 5 options. I knew some of the companies beforehand, but IWA was new to me. I met with several of the groups, and found that I had a similar background to IWA’s founders, and had worked on similar projects in the early 2000s. I understood their previous work, and knew that they had some good experience in the area. They also offered us a good proposal.

IWA worked on the minimal viable product [MVP] version of our app. We had a high-level architecture and wireframes which had been developed in-house by our designer. Based on those, IWA carried out a short initial concepting project, creating a more detailed wireframe. Based on that result, we went forward with the development.

The investment has been around $50,000.

We started working with IWA in September or October 2015. We had a first version and some updates completed a year ago. We did some additional updates later on. I’ve been in contact them a lot regarding some certificates. We’ve maintained constant communication, but the main development was done in 2016. The relationship is on-and-off; if we need technical help, IWA is still our main contact.

The performance and feedback after launch were quite good. We made an online survey within the app, and also held some interviews in the U.S. People like the approach, and the ability to have modified portfolios which they can compare and benchmark. We have a steady flow of downloads, but we haven’t put any money into this, so it’s quite flat. The general feedback has been good, with hardly any negative comments.

How did IWA perform from a project management standpoint?

It was quite a long relationship, 6-8 months altogether. We’ve had some updates, and their performance was pretty good. There were some challenges in the beginning, in terms of communication, until we were up-and-running. After we came to know each other, it went quite smoothly.

In general, the communication has been good all the time, with hardly any challenges. However, there will always be challenges when working across different time zones. We are based in Europe, but also have activities in other countries. Our data was coming from the U.S. exchange, which put some extra challenges on the project, but, in general, it was quite good.

We had weekly face-to-face meetings in the beginning, since we are situated close to each other. We also used Slack, Trello, and email. We tried to formalize our communication, in order to be on top of activities and see the latest developments.

The project teams didn’t have too much experience in the financial sector before our project, but they were fast to learn and became familiar with the topic. The project ran smoothly in general, in terms of collaboration and communication. If there were minor challenges with the schedule, IWA was willing to assign an extra person on their end, so that they could deliver. This has been good to see.

Even though there were some challenges now and then, the project ran fine. IWA was growing fast as a company during the project. They doubled their personnel, and I can understand what this is like, having worked in startups. When we started, IWA was a reasonably small company, but they’ve come to grow significantly, and have developed their processes quite well. They were always eager to get our feedback and make things smoother and smoother. I have no particular topics to address.

There were some technical challenges which came, in part, from our data. We could have done better.
    We had some project estimates, and worked on a fixed price. The cost was pretty much in line.
    There were some challenges, but only minor ones.

UI & Design for Building Info Firm

"IWA has been able to understand our needs and business logic quickly."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

IWA Ltd. provides strategic consultation while developing a cohesive UI for a digital distribution channel, highlighting new informational products through engaging designs and consistent implementation.

Jukka Usmi
General Manager, Rakennustieto

Through IWA Ltd.’s close collaboration, third-party clients report satisfaction with the improved service. The team’s reliable performance, transparent documentation, reasonable pricing, and attentiveness continue to drive success.

I’m the development manager for Rakennustieto, which provides building instructions and knowledge material for all members of the Finnish building industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd.?

We were developing a digital distribution channel for our customers. Our informational products came initially in printed form, but they are now PDFs.

IWA provided consultation and developed the user interface [UI] for our service. They have been our main strategic partner in creating the current digital UI. IWA helped with both design and execution on 3–4 digital-service projects for us, overall.

We've used several research methods. The development has been running for about a year, during which time we’ve collected user feedback and used third-party UI designers. The final version was done in collaboration with our company and IWA.

The size of the team has varied, and I would estimate up to 5 people are currently assigned to the project.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd.?

Our company was collaborating with IWA before I came onboard.

We started working with IWA around 3 years ago. The start date for this project was March 2015. We have a couple of ongoing projects with IWA, including our distribution service.

We’ve had a close collaboration with their team. IWA has been able to understand our needs and business logic quickly, and we’ve discussed development challenges. So far, our clients have been happy with what we’ve created.

How did IWA Ltd. perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a great project manager and know each other very well. We have face-to-face meetings every 2 weeks and communicate via emails and phone calls.

They are reliable, and we enjoy a close collaboration.

I don’t think so. I’m very happy with IWA.

They’ve been consistent.
    Their prices are reasonable, and the reported hours are within the planned range. We were never surprised.
    I’m quite happy with IWA. They delivered what they promised.
    I trust that IWA will deliver what they promise.

App Dev for Energy Services Firm

“They are able to do whatever we need, when we need it.”

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

IWA is a reliable partner for mobile development, creating apps that supplement electric vehicles and similar products. Recently, the team redesigned an app used by drivers to locate charging stations.

CTO, Energy Services Firm

The launched app has thousands of downloads and positive feedback, which is partly attributed to IWA’s user-friendly design. The team can swiftly adapt to changing requirements, and this flexibility makes IWA an invaluable partner in a dynamic industry.

We do software for electric vehicle charging stations. As the chief technical officer, I'm responsible for technology services and product development.

One of our products is an app used by people who have electric vehicles. The app is native and available for Android and iOS. It displays city maps with the locations of charging spaces for electric vehicles. You can use the app to check the prices offered at each the station and pay for charging. The app shows connector information and pictures of the stations. You can also see the status of a station — if it’s free, in use, or broken.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd?

We hired IWA to help us develop different mobile applications. We had some initial projects with other companies, but we wanted to make improvements on our product.

The app is native, and it’s available for Android and iOS. We had an initial version of the app, but the current version has been rebuilt completely. We’re not using the original app that much anymore. We had some ideas for the app, and then IWA helped us do the final design.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd?

Initially, we talked to 3–4 companies. We did small pilot projects with a couple of them so we could get an idea of how they worked and if they would be good partners for us. IWA seemed like the best option for us, so we chose them.

How much have you invested with IWA Ltd?

We’ve invested about $250,000–$350,000.

We started working around March 2015, and our work together is ongoing.

I don't have the actual numbers, but I would guess we’ve had 3,000–5,000 downloads. We’ve had good feedback about the app, both from users and the companies we’ve been working with. People are saying the app is easy to use, and they like using it. There are always areas to improve, but the general feedback has been good.

How did IWA Ltd perform from a project management standpoint?

In this case, I guess the project management has been more on our side. We mainly use Slack, chat, and Skype calls. They are located near our office, so we also have meetings in person at our premises.

What did you find most impressive about IWA Ltd?

One thing we were looking for when we chose IWA was a flexible partner. Our business is in a new area, so things move and change quickly. Whatever we think we’ll do next month will probably change. We were looking for partners who could adapt quickly and work in a flexible manner with us. That was one of the reasons we chose IWA, and they’ve been good for us. They are able to do whatever we need, when we need it.

Are there any areas IWA Ltd could improve?

There are small things. It took us a while to get a person who had the exact qualities that we needed. I guess that’s the only thing I can think of: get the right people from the start when you're working on projects.

We have had individual problems with schedules, and some things were a bit late. Overall, it has been quite good — not perfect, but good.
    I'm really happy about the value they offer.
    I have been happy with IWA. They’re not perfect, so that’s why I wouldn't give them a higher score, but they’re better than others I’ve seen.
    I have been happy with IWA, and I have referred them to other companies for that reason.

Software Web Dev for Real Estate Rescue Plans

“They're technically skilled people who are easy to communicate with.”

2015 - Ongoing

IWA is developing a custom platform that helps users comply with real estate legal requirements and conduct audits. The team is also building a solution that is intended for house inspections.

Juha Raitanen
Vice President, Talokeskus

The launched real estate software has received positive feedback, thanks to IWA’s technical expertise. IWA’s timely delivery and communication also ensure a smooth collaboration.

I’m the VP of Talokeskus, a service company in Finland that works in the real estate business. We have our own system, the Tampuuri ERP [enterprise resource planning] solution. It’s widely used here in Finland for real estate. Approximately 1.9 million inhabitants are living in homes that are managed by our software.

What challenge were you trying to address with IWA Ltd?

We were developing a digital real estate rescue plan system. In Finland, we’re legally required to have rescue plans on real estate, so there was a demand for this service.

IWA developed the software from scratch. The core of the solution was developed on a Ruby on Rails backend framework. It includes comprehensive administration functionalities, including tools for adding new rescue plans and conducting specific safety audits properly. It's web-based, so it can be used on any device. It can also be integrated into a customer's website. We're doing the marketing for the software, not IWA. We also use Google Analytics and have our own user logs.

Previously, IWA did another mobile development project for us, an app for household inspections. That app is currently in production.

How did you come to work with IWA Ltd?

After interviewing a few companies, IWA seemed to be the best provider for our needs.

How much have you invested with IWA Ltd?

We’ve spent between €100,000 [$116,516] and €200,000 [$233,031].

We first started working with them in 2015. The rescue plan project started in 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

Dozens of organizations are currently using the software for hundreds of real estate properties. For example, we are working with a company that is the largest private household real estate investor in Finland. They use our service to make real estate plans. Our customers all love the software, and there are plenty of positive comments about it. The quality was good all the time, and I didn’t see any problems.

How did IWA Ltd perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management was good, and everything was done on schedule. Our deal with them was arranged so that we didn’t go beyond the timeframe.

We’ve worked with 5–10 people from IWA. For communication, we use email and Skype around once a week. Sometimes, we also meet face-to-face.

What did you find most impressive about IWA Ltd?

They're technically skilled people who are easy to communicate with. The project went smoothly.

Are there any areas IWA Ltd could improve?

Of course, there is always room for improvement. For example, they could have given more information about where we're going in some of their emails. But on average, everything is good.

Overall Score It was very pleasant to work with IWA.
    I’d say they are close to the best when it comes to meeting deadlines.
    This product is necessary to our customers, so it’s important to offer good value.
    They deliver good quality, but there's always something to improve.
    I would definitely recommend this company to other people.