Madison Avenue Smarts, Virginia Highland Soul

We’re Tailfin.

An agency designed to steer, propel and basically make your brand soar. A creative, branding powerhouse hidden in the heart of a cool historic neighborhood. We’re made up of big thinkers , tiny egos and huge ideas that will make you stop and say “wooooaaaah momma!”.

We’re smallish and nimble – like a badass ninja without the creepy mask. We’ve earned our blackbelts at the big shops and we’ve got what it takes to handle whatever comes along.

1999
Atlanta, GA
headquaters
  • Tailfin
    1246 Virginia Ave. NE
    Atlanta, GA 30306
    404.872.9798

Advertising for Fortune 500 Company

"Tailfin is a small but mighty group, and I find them incredibly easy to work with."

Jan. 2007 - Ongoing

Tailfin provides creative services, including brand advertising, video, and infographics to support traffic to the client’s site. The videos created were featured online and used on television.

10,001 + Employees

Greater Atlanta Area
Advertising Manager, Fortune 500 Company

Tailfin’s campaign was successful in website referrals, and the client is above industry standard for click-through rate in display advertising. Their work is unique, and the team is approachable. The client can put Tailfin’s lead directly in touch with the company’s CEO [chief executive officer].

We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Atlanta. We are the parent company of multiple subsidiaries. I manage advertising including digital, print, TV, etc. for our parent company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tailfin?

Over the years, we’ve had many challenges that Tailfin has been able to solve. They’ve helped us with internal communication. The biggest project was a brand advertising campaign where they created our television piece that’s currently running. That project triggered a full advertising campaign that was released on our website and as well as digital display advertising.

The bulk of the work I’ve worked with Tailfin on has been around the creative production of the video, artwork, design, layouts, and display pieces. Tailfin is a full-service agency, but we’ve use them mostly on the creative side. In 2015, they worked on a television commercial for us that aired nationally. I have worked with them on the creation of infographics for our website and email campaigns. My first project with them was a physical display/timeline that was 90 feet long. They have also worked on a series of web videos.

How did you come to work with Tailfin?

My colleague originally found them. When she left the company, I inherited her project that was underway, and I’ve worked with them on a variety of communications-related work since then. For the web videos project, they were selected through a request for proposal process where we had five other agencies competing. Tailfin’s concept was a clear winner, and it was a successful campaign.

How much have you invested with Tailfin?

I prefer not to disclose.

The relationship had started before I was brought into my current position. I’ve been working with them since January 2007, and we continue to work together.

The series of web videos was very successful in terms of click-through rates and referrals to our website. Tailfin’s videos ran between 14 and 16 months and they consistently performed above the industry standard for click-through rate and display advertising. The projects have been well received internally, and we’ve been happy with their work. When the infographics were posted on the website, I received calls from internal employees who want to get copies of the infographics so they could display them in their business areas or use them with clients.

How did Tailfin perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very approachable. Tailfin is a small but mighty group, and I find them incredibly easy to work with. They’ve been able to meet deadlines and budget. To do so, they use a variety of file sharing tools like Dropbox, etc.

What did you find most impressive about Tailfin?

Tailfin is a very strong and fresh creative marketing agency. I like their ability to have a unique characteristic or quirkiness to their work, but when humor isn’t appropriate, their work is completely professional too. They do a very good job of understanding our business, and they are prepared and knowledgeable when they meet with us. I’ve put Greg, the Director and Co-owner of Tailfin, on projects where he’s interviewed our CEO because I feel that confident in him. There are not a lot of vendors I work with that I would put face to face with our CEO. Also, their art director is incredibly talented and has been at Tailfin long term. I like the longevity of their staff.

Are there any areas Tailfin could improve?

Their slogan says they’re “Your neighborhood marketing agency” and I feel that’s what they are. They’re very flexible instead of being rigid, and that’s a benefit in my opinion. If someone is looking for a more formal, “by-the-book” company, they might not be the perfect fit.

The projects we’ve worked on have been done on time, but the process sometimes feels a little loose; it could be more rigid at times.
    Compared to work that we do with other agencies that are our size or larger, Tailfin has been very reasonable and competitive.
    I enjoy working with them because of their style, flexibility, and the personal aspect of their business.

Advertising and App Development for Medical Device Company

"Tailfin is always looking for solutions that make sense for us and help us reach our goals."

June 2013 - Ongoing

Tailfin has worked on 35 projects to differentiate communication pieces and awareness across several brands. Their support has included traditional advertising, marketing, branding, and web development.

Vice President of Marketing, Syneron-Candela

Tailfin’s work has supported sales efforts and traffic to the client’s website. The project management is stellar, with weekly calls and a solution-orientation to work with their client. The team offers high-quality support, is passionate about their work, and are veterans in the company.

Syneron-Candela is a global leader in the manufacturing and marketing of 13 energy-based devices for dermatology and plastic surgery. Our products are also used in obstetrics, gynecology, and internal medicine. Our target audience is women between the ages of 25 to 60 with household incomes of $100,000 to $150,000. These women are located in and around major metropolitan areas where our physicians are. In general, our key markets for B2B are dermatologists, plastic surgeons, obstetricians, pediatricians, internal medicine, and medical spas.

I am the vice president of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tailfin?

We were looking for ways in which we could differentiate our sales tools and our external communication pieces. We wanted to make consumers aware of our products so that they would go back to their physicians’ offices and ask for our products by name.

We work with Tailfin on a number of projects across our products. Right now, we’re running around 35 projects with them and that will expand globally. The Tailfin team is an extension of our internal marketing team. They have the ability to see challenges and patient objections in the same way our internal marketing team would. Tailfin helps us position our products and refine our existing messaging, whether it’s to physicians or to patients. They provide support in branding and communication with different medical specialties, pushing content out to our sales people in North America and worldwide.

Tailfin helps us create digital ads for B2B lead generation. Their team also assists our B2C efforts by creating assets for billboards, radio ads, and print programs. They work on print publications, sales tools, brochures, and electronic communications. They’ve purchased media for us. We work closely on building out our annual media plans with key print publications. Tailfin has also built and customized our existing website, as well as an iPad app from scratch. The team provides learning tools and video resources for our products. Most recently, they worked on a training tool for our sales people and clinical trainers. They designed, developed, and executed marketing programs that help our physicians market these products in the practice, including presentations.

How much have you invested with Tailfin?

The cost of the relationship so far is between $300,000 and $400,000.

We’ve been working with Tailfin for 2 ½ years.

The work has been extremely well-received by our sales teams. All the content that Tailfin has created has helped support our sales efforts. Tailfin is always looking for solutions that make sense for us and help us reach our goals. They’re very metric and cost-conscience. I wouldn’t be able to function without Suzanne, who is our account director. There’s very good usage of the apps and people are reordering brochures. We’ve had a 6% increase of people coming to our website.

How did Tailfin perform from a project management standpoint?

They are unbelievable. We have weekly status calls. They’re always delivering on time or ahead of time, and they deliver on budget or under budget. If anything might possibly go over budget, they let us know and come up with solutions to help us come in under budget or at budget.

What did you find most impressive about Tailfin?

They have an extremely high quality of support and they’re fully personalized. They’re very passionate about what they do and they’re really good people. With Tailfin, you’re getting people that have been with the same group for over 10 years. We’ve had the same people working with us throughout our relationship with them.

Are there any areas Tailfin could improve?

None.

Overall Score When companies have an engagement at the scale we do with Tailfin, it becomes more of a relationship. Tailfin values the relationship we have.
    They have never been delayed on a project, even when we’re behind on our end. Also, they’ve been available on short notice.
    I feel like we’re getting very big agency work at a fraction of the price.
    They’re very responsive and their work is always very well thought out.