Real Receptionists. Machine Intelligence.

Bronze

Smith.ai is a superior receptionist service that specializes in converting new potential clients who call, text, or visit your website. Our professional receptionists do much more than answer calls and website chats -- they screen and intake clients, schedule appointments, take payments, and follow-up with online leads. And now our AI-backed live chat is available 24/7.

Palo Alto, CA
  • 425 Sherman Ave
    Palo Alto, CA 94306

Hacking Law Practice, Wondermint, Fagan Fagan & Davis, Merchbar, Watchman Monitoring, New Wave Financial Services, Nyman IP, Hamp Law, D'Orazio Peterson, CMIT Solutions of Upper Chesapeake

Find out how to set up your live chat in a few easy steps!

Smith.ai Live Chat offers real-time English-Spanish translation Image

Smith.ai Live Chat offers real-time English-Spanish translation

Businesses with a bilingual client base need website chat solutions that can respond to their clients in English and Spanish. Smith.ai delivers real-time responses in both languages using AI and natural-language processing (NLP) technology.

Attorney Regina Edwards relies on Smith.ai to handle all of her firm's calls Image

Attorney Regina Edwards relies on Smith.ai to handle all of her firm's calls

Regina Edwards, attorney and owner of Edwards Family Law in Atlanta, Georgia, recommends Smith.ai to "every attorney" she sees.

Business lawyer Kimberly Y. Bennett says Smith.ai Virtual Receptionists are "integral to a modern law firm." Image

Kimberly Y. Bennett, attorney, owner and founder of K Bennett Law, says, "Smith.ai is an extension of my team. I can be away from my office -- for a meeting or vacation -- and my clients know my virtual receptionists will always be there for them. My phones are answered and my appointments are booked. Smith.ai is flexible, friendly, and dependable. They are integral to a modern law firm."

D'Orazio Peterson implements recommended legal disclaimer in Smith.ai website chat widget Image

Scott Peterson of D'Orazio Peterson says, "Smith.ai's live chat has been an extension of our office. We sleep well knowing that they will handle things professionally, every time."

Hamp Law Reaps $31,000 in New Business with Smith.ai Chatbot Image

Hamp Law Reaps $31,000 in New Business with Smith.ai Chatbot

Shawn Hamp of HampLaw.com spent just $100 on Smith.ai's upgraded AI chatbot, allowing him to capture leads on his website that resulted in $31,000 in new business in just 3 months.

Call Center Services for Laundry Company

"People call and tell us how impressed they were with the agent who answered the call."

Smith.ai provides call center services on an ongoing basis. This includes managing spam inquiries, booking services for new clients, and answering questions.

Cathy Green
Co Owner, UpperCrust Laundry

Stakeholders are pleased with the partnership as it has generated many new clients. The vendor has a prompt, personable communication style; they ensure stakeholders are well-informed about the content of their calls. They have a highly efficient approach to problem-solving.

UpperCrust Laundry is a pick up/drop off company that handles laundry for businesses and private residences. I am the co-owner of the company.

For what projects/services did your company hire Smith.ai?

I hired Smith.ai to handle calls for our busy office. We have all types of clients calling us from businesses to private residential clients to people in hotels and B & B establishments.

My goal was to have a company that was equipped to handle our calls and to ensure that not one call or potential client was missed.

I found Smith.ai via a Google search.

They started handling our phone calls about 3 years ago and are ongoing. They deal with spam calls. They book us for new clients and they answer a ton of questions for potential and present clients. They are very fast in taking notes and sending me the results.

They have quite a few agents who answer the phones and each one is terrific. They all bring their own strengths and personalities.

I've gotten many new clients as a direct result of Smith.ai. People call and tell us how impressed they were with the agent who answered the call. Recently a man called and said that as a direct result of the agent who answered the phone he decided to use our company.

They answer my calls daily so the work flow is continuous unless there is a holiday.

What I find most impressive is the fact that when I share a concern, they immediately deal with it and get back to me on how they resolved it.

I'd love for their agents to not feel like they have to know the answer to every question a potential client throws at them. It's okay to simply take a message and let them know that a manager will return their call.

Overall Score They have been consistent and deserve 5 starts for excellence.
    No issues at all with scheduling.
    Compare to their competition, they are very reasonable.
    I've tried several companies. They are amongst the best.
    They have been supportive of my company for several years and I'm happy to refer them.

Call Center Services for Legal Firm

"Their commitment to customer service keeps me coming back."

June 2019 - Ongoing

Smith.ai provided virtual receptionist services for a legal firm. The team went on to answer all incoming calls, collect payments, and schedule consultations.

Athens, Georgia
Nicole Woolfork Hull
Managing Partner, The Hull Firm LLC

The engagement has saved time and increased the efficiency of the internal team. Smith.ai provides detailed call reports to ensure the customer never misses an important message. The team is organized, hard-working, and detail-oriented.

I am the Managing Partner of The Hull Firm LLC, a general law practice in Athens, Georiga.

For what projects/services did your company hire Smith.ai?

I initially hired Smith A.I. for the virtual receptionist services when I needed to expand without incurring the cost of a new employee. The service worked so well that look into the other services provided by Smith and switch my phone services to KeyPad.

I needed to make sure that as we expanded, we never missed a telephone call and the attorneys and paralegals were not tied up scheduling consultations instead of working on cases.

I heard reviews about Smith AI from other attorneys and decided to give them I try. I was not disappointed.

We expanded our practice by added practice areas and beginning an aggressive marketing campaign. I contracted with Smith to answer each incoming call, collect the payment, and schedule consultations.

They have endless paralegals who all seem like the work in our office.

Smith AI has been a tremendous time saver for my firm. The organization and description of each call also helps to make sure that we don't miss important message details.

Working with Smith A.I. has been amazing. Even though we are on different coasts, I've never had a problem getting someone on the phone to change workflows or instructions.

Their commitment to customer service keeps me coming back.

I wish they did everything so I can contract with them

They have been very accommodating with my schedule.
    SO much cheaper than hiring a receptionist.
    The quality has been great.
    I tell every attorney I know about Smith A.I.

Inbound Call Answering for Law Practice

"The ROI is astounding considering the amount of work they’ve brought in for me."

June 2018 - Ongoing

Smith.ai provides ongoing answering services for a law business. They handle incoming calls from potential and current clients, directing contact and conveying messages.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Louis DiLello
Owner & Attorney at Law, Chestnut Hill Legal

The support from Smith.ai has helped grow the business and led to a 50% conversion rate from potential clients. Their ability to satisfy requirements without heavy oversight makes them very valuable for the growing firm. Customers can expect an easy-to-work-with team that welcomes feedback.

I’m the owner and attorney at law for Chestnut Hill Legal.

What challenge were you trying to address with Smith.ai?

Since I’m a one-person business here, I hired them to handle incoming calls from potential and current clients.

To start, they sent me some targeted questions for me to answer. From that, they put together a script for these calls. They handle new client intake as well as routing my current clients' calls to me. They also take messages and send them to me, lessening the burden of having to take all the calls myself.

Around 5–10 different receptionists handle the calls.

How did you come to work with Smith.ai?

I was searching Google for this type of service. I evaluated several virtual receptionists and came across Smith.ai and liked their website. They also gave a good presentation.

I spend around $200 per month since I’m on a certain tier and am charged for additional calls.

We’ve been working together since June 2018 and our engagement is ongoing.

I get a lot of great feedback from clients about their interactions with Smith.ai. The conversion rate from potential clients is about 50%, which is really great and can be attributed to the good first impression their team leaves.

How did Smith.ai perform from a project management standpoint?

Whenever I’ve had a question or an issue, even though there have been few to speak of, they all take care of it right away. Typically different people are in contact with me, depending on who is available. All of the scheduling is done through Calendly, so the appointments appear on my calendar, which is great.

Unlike a lot of vendors, they don’t have a complicated online dashboard that I need to monitor. Whenever I need a change, I can go directly to Smith.ai so it’s entirely hands-off. The number of receptionists is great because they really get a sense of my business by handling multiple calls. The ROI is astounding considering the amount of work they’ve brought in for me.

Nothing springs to mind. I’m really happy with their services.

Be kind to the receptionists and give them feedback when they do well. Our positive relationship is partly due to the continuous feedback I give them. Their job is difficult, so be willing to be patient and open about your process with them—they’ll learn really well that way.

Overall Score It’s been a pleasure. I can do my work and they handle the calls.
    They’re great, especially because of their use of Calendly.
    The ROI is great.
    My own experience has been so good.

Staff Augmentation for Legacy Law Firm

"I was impressed with how easy this was to implement and how affordable their services are."

Dec. 2019 - Ongoing

Smith.ai answers telephones for internal stakeholders when they are busy or out of the office.

Crossville, Tennessee
Nina Whitehurst
Owner & Attorney, Cumberland Legacy Law

The vendor provides consistently reliable services. They gather important information during each call and treat the callers well. Their personable, responsive communication style is noteworthy.

I am the principal attorney of a small law firm.

For what projects/services did your company hire Smith.ai?

We use Smith.ai to answer our telephones when we are in meetings or out of the office.

We wanted callers to be treated courteously and have the comfort of speaking with a real person rather than leaving a voicemail message during business hours. We wanted the receptionists to gather certain minimum information during each call.

This vendor was referred by another attorney that I know who is a client of Smith.ai.

I spent very little time looking for a solution. The recommendation from another attorney who uses them was good enough for me.

We have coverage Monday through Friday until midnight during which time a live person answers the phones for us when we are not able to. They know which calls to immediately pass through or hold, what basic information we require.

We were assigned a point person to handle the onboarding process. After we were onboarded, we received a "drip" of successive emails providing helpful hints on getting started and how to obtain support in the future.

Now, calls are being answered on a timely basis and callers experience the sense that we have a full-time receptionist that often works late.

Calls are answered reliably and courteously. The information we need is always obtained. Callers do feel like they are speaking with our office, judging by comments I receive later such as, "As I mentioned to your secretary . . ."

I am glad. This is the effect that we wanted. It helps to be able to go into meetings or out of the office without having to worry about who will answer the telephones.

Super easy. They are very helpful and responsive. We can email them any time we have a special request, such as holding all calls without exception, or who should be on the exceptions list.

I was impressed with how easy this was to implement and how affordable their services are. I wish I had done this sooner. I had been worried about that the most before going down this path.

I can't think of any.

Overall Score We are very pleased.
    Never had any problems with scheduling.
    Very affordable.
    Reliable, friendly service.
    A colleague referred me and I would be happy to pay it forward if the opportunity presents itself.

Virtual Receptionist Services for Attorney

"They are very professional, well organized and provide excellent customer service."

Jan. 2018 - Jan. 2020

Smith.ai provided virtual receptionist services with the aim of facilitating communication with internal stakeholders' clients.

Atlanta, Georgia
CEO, Law Practice

The services have conserved internal resources. A reliable team, Smith.ai provided consistent, attentive services throughout the timeline. Their regular check-ins ensured stakeholders' needs were satisfied.

We are a trademark law firm that focuses on counseling business owners on how to protect their catchy business names, logos, and tag lines through trademark registrations.

Virtual receptionist services.

I wanted clients to be able to speak to a live person during business hours. I wanted to provide better customer service to my clients.

I researched and read online reviews of companies that provide this type of service.

Having a virtual receptionist has made my life easier and provides me with a sense of ease knowing I have someone there to assist my clients initially, whenever I am away from my desk.

They have excellent staff that provides 24/7 coverage.

It saves me a lot of time and money.

They connect with me directly via email at least once a week to see if my virtual receptionist needs are being met.

I cannot think of anything at this time.

Overall Score Excellent!
    Very easy to schedule with.
    Very competitive - worth every dollar spent!
    Quality services!
    Without a doubt will refer their services.

Call Center Services for Family Attorney

"Smith has done things better than I ever could do in-house."

Smith.ai served as phone operators to handle the large call volume of a family law firm. They deployed a rotating team of receptionists who were responsible for answering basic questions and screening clients.

Roanoke, Virginia
Firm Owner, Family Attorney

Smith.ai has afforded the client with compliments about the politeness of their receptionists. They've empowered the client to focus on their main business processes, freeing up time and resources. Their capacity to provide happy receptionists with good attitudes was quite remarkable.

I own a family law firm with a large number of callers daily.

For what projects/services did your company hire Smith.ai?

Smith answers the phones for us and they are our first contact with clients.

Increase client's access to our company and make them feel heard without having too many bodies in the office or having to manage schedules for others.

I spoke with a number of other services before hiring them and did substantial research. They were more readily able to operate within my workflow.

They answer the overwhelming majority of calls to my office and answer basic questions, as well as screen away non-ideal clients.

They have a rotating team of receptionists that answer the phone.

We sometimes get compliments on how nice the receptionists are. Smith also worked with me to create an ideal answering protocol that works for both of us.

Smith has done things better than I ever could do in-house.

I am amazed that they continue to stall my phones with happy people with a good attitude.

They are constantly improving. They have opportunities to expand services to more completely complement my practice and they are actively working on them- I talk to them occasionally about their pipeline projects and I am optimistic they will continue to grow in a direction that serves my firm.

Chatbot Solution for Legal Nonprofit

"They're easy to get in touch with and always there to answer questions!"

Jan. 2020 - Ongoing

Smith.ai developed a custom chatbot to deal with questions from the public and members.

Memphis, Tennessee
Lauren Hoemke-Gooch
Membership & CLE Director, Memphis Bar Association

Call volume has decreased significantly thanks to the chatbot. Smith.ai provided attentive customer service, and internal stakeholders are excited about expanding the solution’s capabilities with them in the future.

I am the Membership and CLE Director for the Memphis Bar Association.

For what projects/services did your company hire Smith.ai?

We do not have a full time receptionist and receive large amounts of calls from the public seeking legal advice. The Chatbot has significantly cut down on our call volume. In addition, the Chatbot has some excellent customizable features that are beneficial for our members too.

We initially started the relationship as an affinity partner for MBA members. Upon learning more about the product and receiving continual follow up and customer service, we decided to try it out for ourselves!

Describe the project in detail and what their cost structure looked like.

We were looking for a customizable solution to cut down on significant call volume from the public and a useful tool for members with simple questions.

How would you describe/assess the quality of their work?

The team has been great to work with! They're easy to get in touch with and always there to answer questions!

What impressed you about their services?

• Customer service
  • the product itself
  • feedback from our members

We are looking forward to the Chatbot being trained further to answer our members' questions.

Great for a bar associations!

Voice Services for Law Firm

“It’s been exciting to watch their team grow with mine and see the ways they continue to develop their service.”

Smith.ai provides ongoing call services for a law firm. They handle inbound and outbound calls, along with managing the chat tool and scheduling any consultations or calls.

1–10 Employees

Atlanta, Georgia
Kimberly Bennett
CEO, K Bennett Law LLC

Working with Smith.ai has enabled the business to scale its efforts and size. The feedback from clients speaking with the team has been very positive, praising their accommodating nature. Their ability to be flexible and reliable shows their dedication to client satisfaction.

I’m the founder and managing attorney of K Bennett Law LLC. we’re a virtual trademark and business strategy law firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Smith.ai?

I was growing my business and scaling my team, but I knew it was very important for my clients to be able to contact someone with their questions and needs. When I first started, I was a solo attorney so I hired Smith.ai. to help support and manage these needs.

I use them as an extension of my team, so they serve as a communication touchpoint, handling outbound and inbound calls along with our chat feature. We had an onboarding process and ran through the various parameters for the calls. We iterated on the drafts and ran some test calls before getting them started.

They handle the incoming calls to my business and follow-up as needed so we have a consistent brand across our communication with my clients. If I’m in meetings and can’t make it to the phone, they schedule a lot of my consultations and client calls, too.

I’ve met some of the core team at Smith.ai, but I’m not sure exactly how many people are working with us.

How did you come to work with Smith.ai?

Since I’m a huge supporter of building a tech-forward business, I started looking for providers I could delegate these tasks to. I considered a few other providers, but I had heard mixed reviews and didn’t like any of their business models. When I tested Smith.ai and I liked their value-based model, since I don’t do hourly billing, it was a great fit. Everything felt seamless, so I’ve been working with them ever since.

I estimate we’ve spent around a couple of thousand dollars. If I ever go over what’s part of my package, I know what the cost will be and I have no complaints about their pricing model.

We’ve been working together since January 2018 and our engagement is ongoing.

When a call is transferred to me, people always give very positive feedback about their experience speaking with the Smith.ai team. People have spoken about how accommodating and nice they are, which makes me feel good. It’s been very helpful in our scaling efforts.

How did Smith.ai perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is absolutely easy to communicate with, whenever I send an email, I know I’ll get a response quickly. There is a portal for me to view the call instructions and see how the team is utilizing them. They’ve been very flexible about adjusting call instructions whenever I need to. The team, overall, has always been looking to support us as a modern law firm, so we’ve had a really great relationship.

Their level of client service shows how much they care. At the core of their business, they have their clients in mind and their business model keeps them in that spot, so it’s a win-win. It’s been exciting to watch their team grow with mine and see the ways they continue to develop their service.

It would be nice to have a dedicated person, but I know our team structure is more unique and modern. As they continue to build their portal, I’m excited to see any additional technology improvements.

Ask questions. If you feel like you could be supporting your clients even more, bring on a team like Smith.ai that will bring that same level of support. Do a trial, since you won’t know until you try. If it works for you, keep going and it’ll be seamless.

Voice Services & Virtual Chat for IT Security Firm

"They’re just good at everything. The quality of their program, their training, their systems—all are impressive."

Sept. 2018 - Ongoing

A managed security services provider needed someone to manage their call volume and serve as their virtual office assistant while they were out in the field. Smith.ai now handles all their incoming calls and chat.

Bel Air, Maryland
Rick Staton
CEO, CMIT Solutions of Upper Chesapeake - Columbia

Smith.ai has been flawless since onboarding. Their systems are repeatable and scalable, and every aspect of their company is quality. All Smith.ai call takers are trained well and handle calls professionally, resulting in praise from customers and bringing in new business.

I am the CEO of CMIT Solutions of Upper Chesapeake – Columbia, a managed security services provider (MSSP).

What challenge were you trying to address with Smith.ai?

We hired Smith.ai to manage the flow of call volume coming in and out. We needed someone to coordinate that side of the business while we were out in the field and to serve as our virtual office assistant.

They act as our virtual receptionist. Their primary function is handling all our incoming calls, but if there’s a call drop they’ll reconnect and make outgoing calls. They’ve also integrated chat services to our website.

I’ve interacted with 5–6 people, but there’s a whole group of great people that answer the phones.

How did you come to work with Smith.ai?

They were at CompTIA, an industry trade show. Their table was across from ours, and we struck up a great conversation with them.

I invest about $1,800 a month, but the price fluctuates depending on call volume. I only pay for the calls that I want to take. Robocalls, sales spam, wrong numbers—I don’t pay for any of those calls.

They’ve been working with us since September 2018, and the relationship is ongoing. I found a partner for life with them.

The quality of their work is consistent. Regardless of who’s taking the call, I know they're trained well and can handle it professionally. I consistently receive high praise for Smith.ai from my customers and my prospects. I actually have gotten direct business because of the way they handle calls.

How did Smith.ai perform from a project management standpoint?

We have regular meetings and communicate daily, mostly through email. They’ve been wonderfully hands-on with me. I am project management certified, and I think they’ve been pretty spot on with their project management.

They’re just good at everything. The quality of their program, their training, their systems—all are impressive. The fact that their systems are repeatable and scalable is invaluable.

Initially, they relied on a lot of paperwork—giving us a form and telling us to fill it out. That leads to problems in this space. The onboarding process could be a little more personable. But after that little hump, they’ve been flawless.

Make sure you make constant tweaks to your call flow instructions. The only time we’ve had problems arise if when we neglected to update them.

Voice Services & Chatbot Integration for Law Firm

"Smith.ai gives prompt and personal attention to any questions about their services."

Feb. 2019 - Ongoing

Providing answering services at first, Smith.ai’s scope changed to setting up and maintaining a chatbot for a law firm. They built a playbook and integrated the tool with the client’s CRM to collect leads.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Shawn Hamp
CEO, Law Offices of Shawn B. Hamp

The chatbot has resulted leads that have generated $35,000 in revenue. Smith.ai’s work has streamlined business processes at a reasonable maintenance rate. Their expertise combined with their prompt communication and top-notch customer service makes for a smooth collaboration.

I am the founder and president of a criminal defense law firm in northern Arizona.

What challenge were you trying to address with Smith.ai?

We were looking for help with voice answering services and chatbot integration.

I started using Smith.ai for answering services last year. Their answering service integrates directly with my CRM, which was my favorite feature of that product. Eventually, we did bring a lot of that answering in-house with a dedicated employee to handle our call volume. However, if we had some overflow and needed more call capacity, they can do that pretty easily for us. We set it up with our phone tree so that if one of our operators couldn’t answer the phone or if we wanted to schedule it for after hours, the calls could go directly to Smith.ai.

We currently use Smith.ai to manage our chatbot. When a website visitor goes to our website, a pop-up window invites the website user to initiate an online chat with the chatbot. It will gather the name, phone number, and email for that contact. After that, the chatbot prompts the visitor to describe why they are contacting us and what legal problem they have. It helps qualify the leads to determine if they have an issue that we can help with or not. That information also integrates with our CRM through an API and captures all that contact information.

The chatbot also offers a screening feature where it will ask the potential lead some qualifying questions. If the lead answers negatively to some of those questions, the chatbot will gently inform them that it is not a case we can handle for them. If the lead responds positively to those questions, we still can decide what to prioritize and reach out to contacts with actions already in mind.

The tool uses a playbook, which is its workflow. It establishes how the chatbot responds to inquiries and what answers to give the website visitor to prompt them for information. A support specialist helped set that up for us. They made some suggestions and did some tweaks to get it right.

I’ve worked with Maddy (Head of Growth & Education, Smith.ai) the most. Other staff members can respond as well if I have a question. Another representative helped me establish the chatbot.

How did you come to work with Smith.ai?

I encountered Smith.ai in one of the network groups I am a member of. Maddy has also given some presentations and appeared on some podcasts I’ve listened to. A lot of companies compete in that niche to serve attorneys, but it became apparent that her company did work with law firms and had experience in handling legal consumers. There was also a lot of positive references from other users and networking groups.

We’ve spent less than $10,000.

We began working with them in February 2019, and they still provide support for the chatbot.

It is extremely labor and time-efficient to have this chatbot. That $300–$400 initial investment has generated about $35,000 in revenue from clients that signed up through the chatbot service.

I get about 3–5 leads a day with the service, but a vast majority are not qualified leads. A live operator service would charge anywhere between $20–$30 per lead that comes in. With a chatbot, depending on the pricing scheme, it ends up being effectively 50 cents to a dollar per lead. That is a huge cost saving.

How did Smith.ai perform from a project management standpoint?

My impression of Smith.ai is that they are a fairly small company. They are available by telephone, but most of the communication is done through email. I can direct emails to Maddy or their general support email and get a tailored and personal response promptly. If they require further research, I usually get an answer fairly quickly.

Smith.ai gives prompt and personal attention to any questions about their services. They address any questions or concerns about topics like billing really quickly. Their customer service reps, brand ambassadors, and community outreach people are very proactive. I think that is their strongest attribute.

They could benefit from creating some onboarding videos or sessions to demonstrate what the chatbot does. It’s not 100% intuitive and requires some thought to plan, design, and flesh it out. Someone from the company did follow up after we set it up and suggested some improvements to the playbook. I think Smith.ai should give some more sample playbooks or generic with templates to start with that customers can then tailor further.

Take advantage of their support to help them get set up. Give them as much feedback and ask as many questions as possible. I feel that Smith.ai is constantly trying to improve their company and the quality of their product and their services.

Bronze