Think Web, Think Smart

SmartSites is full service digital agency that specializes in website design, website development, search engine optimization, and pay per click management. SmartSites offers creative ways to plan, build, and promote businesses of all sizes, in various industries across the United States. The company was founded in 2011 and is based out of Paramus, New Jersey.

Paramus, NJ
  • SmartSites
    45 Eisenhower Drive
    Paramus, NJ 07652

Porsche

Google Adwords Management for Carpet Cleaner

“[They] struck a good balance of expertise and drawing upon different resources to meet our needs.”

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

SmartSites manages the advertising strategy and budget allocation for Google AdWords. They also provided additional assistance with SEO.

Glendale, New York
David Swidler
LONG ISLAND CARPET CLEANERS, INC.

Since working with SmartSites, AdWords campaigns have yielded more referral traffic and better-quality customer interactions, which in turn significantly improved employee effectiveness. Sales are also increasing, though not as quickly as anticipated.

I'm the vice president of Long Island Carpet Cleaners.

What challenge were you trying to address with SmartSites?

We were looking for someone to provide strategy and budgeting advice for Google AdWords. Our account was originally overseen in-house when I took over managing it, but it wasn't being handled effectively and we wanted to hire someone new. After our first third-party consultant got pulled away from us, we researched other options and found the SmartSites team.

We're trying to come up with different strategies to tweak our AdWords presence and maximize every dollar that we're spending, and they’ve also helped us with our SEO. It's been challenging, not because of SmartSites, but just because it's a competitive market.

They assigned a project manager who they thought would work well with us, and that's who we deal with directly, though they have other team members who occasionally assist.

How did you come to work with SmartSites?

My wife has a decade of agency experience and is familiar with the digital side, so I enlisted her to do some research. She found that they were one of several Google-trusted vendors in our area, so I interviewed those companies and came away feeling the most comfortable with the SmartSites team.

I really liked that they were humble about their expertise and were willing to bring in additional personnel to handle SEO, for example, instead of having the AdWords person try to manage it. That wasn't the model I saw at some of the other organizations we interviewed. We're a small business, so we needed reliable customer service with a hands-on approach, but a large organization was beyond our price range, and many of the small "one-stop shops" came across as disingenuous about their capabilities. SmartSites struck a good balance of expertise and drawing upon different resources to meet our needs.

Their services cost us about $500 a month.

We started working with them in October 2016 and they're still working with us.

The biggest benefit to me has been an unexpected one because we use the AdWords Click-to-Call feature, which automatically records any calls we get. I've been able to do a huge amount of business training with my staff as a result of that and it's impacted our ROI when we close sales. The ability to monitor calls daily instead of monthly helped me manage my team better and we've seen a huge impact.

Related to that, we've seen an increase in conversion rates and referral traffic. We're also getting more targeted calls. There are fewer, but the quality of them is better, which is more cost-effective for me because my staff isn't wasting their time fielding unnecessary calls.

My sales have also been improving, and we're moving in the right direction, but the results currently aren't as high as I'd like to see.

How did SmartSites perform from a project management standpoint?

We spoke much more often in the first few months, but once things were up and running we communicated a bit less. Now that we're approaching my slow season, I can spend a lot more time tweaking things and working with them to revamp our strategy so we're ready to go when we up our spending for our busy season.

I'm in touch with them probably every other week right now, and we mostly communicate via email. They do well enough, but I think they're spread a little thin at the moment. I don't know that I'm necessarily getting the full amount of attention that I'd prefer at this point.

As far as deadlines, they’re pretty good. I gave them one big, challenging request several weeks ago that I’m still waiting on, but I knew that might be difficult given their limited resources and my limited budget as a client.

I went to a conference that they hosted a few weeks ago, and I was really impressed by some of the projects that they've implemented for some of their other clients. They had one particular client with a similar business model to ours, and they did an amazing job at getting them off the ground. Now, their budget is 10 times larger than ours, so I understand why they allocated so many more resources to it, but I was very impressed with their ability to mobilize and solve this client's problem so quickly.

What advice do you have for clients with similar needs to yours?

Like many businesses, they're going to be more responsive to a large project than a much smaller one, so if you're only spending a few hundred dollars a month it might be challenging.

Overall Score I'm reasonably satisfied with how things are going, but there's always room for improvement.
    They do a very nice job. I'd save a 5 for "perfect."

Brand Awareness, SEO & Data Mining for Distillery

“I haven’t used anyone else besides SmartSites because they’ve done well by me every time.”

June 2014 - Ongoing

SmartSites used data mining and SEO to develop a Wordpress site that increased brand awareness and unique traffic. They currently create content, including images and articles.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Avi Aisenberg
CEO, South Florida Distillers

Prompt delivery, rigid project management, and constant communication makes SmartSites a valuable partner. Their SEO brings in new customers without having to engage in advertisement.

I’m the owner/president/CEO of South Florida Distillers, a craft rum distillery that also contracts liquor manufacturing for private brands. I’m also the proprietor, so I sign all the tax documents for the business.

What challenge were you trying to address with SmartSites?

We initially needed to drive attention to our website and let people know that we are physically in our area. It wasn’t so much about data gathering in the beginning, but about local awareness. We needed to associate our name with local restaurants using SEO.

The website needs an exact purpose, and I had an idea of what I wanted to achieve. I had a narrow-minded goal for the website at the beginning because of the laws our industry has to abide by.

Matt Prepis [Project Manager, SmartSites] talked with us about our goals and theme, which was nautical. I found websites I liked and showed those to them to initiate design, and then there was a collaborative effort between Matt and I. Afterwards, he had developers and graphic designers put together three samples which I selected from, and then they started development.

They obtained rights for images on a website I chose that made sense for our company, and then uploaded everything, including the content we wrote, onto the WordPress site. It took 6-8 weeks to develop.

They also associated the brand name of our rum, FWAYGO, with liquor so that when you search on Google, we come up. I’m now starting to add information to the site for contract manufacturing, and SmartSites continues to implement other things, like downloading pictures.

Were there certain features you asked for?

On the left side of WordPress, they made a cocktail section that allows me to load in simple recipes. They made it very easy to input this information, and created pop-ups on a certain page which has been very helpful for SEO. When you type in our name, you get cocktail pictures on our website, and then people want to see what they can make with our product.

I’m not sure, because I wasn’t in direct communication with the developers or graphic designers.

How did you come to work with SmartSites?

I called one of the guys from SmartSites who I met in college and asked him to do the website. I didn’t contact many people because I just didn’t have time. I do have a local friend who makes websites, but I always thought SmartSites’ were better.

I like and trust SmartSites, and they had built a website for a business I sold. The current website took the same amount of time as that one, and they delivered on my expectations, so I stuck with them.

I spent between $12,000-$13,00 total. I already had hosting for them, but that got the WordPress site live.

We started working with them in May or June 2014, and the relationship is ongoing.

We have 3,500 unique visitors per month, and every time someone visits, we ask how they found us, and it’s always because of the website. I don’t advertise at all other than on social media, and we don’t do sales through the website. Yet, we still have a lot of traffic and it’s performed well in terms of SEO. SmartSites delivers in an appropriate amount of time, and when they spec it, it doesn’t change design paradigms before they’re finished.

There’s only one company that ranks higher than us due to keyword phrases because they had the first license in the state, and they’re old. There are 30 distilleries in Florida, but because our name is South Florida Distillers, it helps with SEO. The rest of the success is because of the website.

Having people visit the website is important to me because we operate a production facility, and I don’t have a tasting room yet. However, people from all over the country still visit us, take tours of the facility, and purchase our products to take back to someone who loves our rum. Between Facebook and our website, our visitors know all about us.

How did SmartSites perform from a project management standpoint?

A lot of the work was done through a bug/development tracking system. My point of contact was Matt and he took care of everything. We communicated via Skype and it was easy to have constant communication. The first several weeks, I talked to him every day. After that, they were working on getting it done, and then, towards the end, we were refining the site and making changes.

They did a great job, and I would use them for my next website. You should always have someone else do your website for you, especially if you’re not familiar with the business, because you’ll miss out on factors important to SEO. I haven’t used anyone else besides SmartSites because they’ve done well by me every time.

Their speed is a huge plus. Right now, they’re supplying content, including images and articles, and they’re always open to feedback while maintaining a quick turnaround.

Knowing more of the team would be useful and make you feel more committed, because their team is big from what I understand.

Overall Score I have no reason to go anywhere else.
    I didn’t set a deadline.
    Every dollar was worth spending.
    They delivered everything they were supposed to, and I was completely satisfied.
    I recommend them all the time.