brand naming, taglines, and storytelling

River + Wolf is a New York City based naming and verbal identity firm that believes branding begins with words. Moreover, we think language is one of the most powerful means for building, organizing, and communicating a brand’s voice and vision.

Whether working with established brands or start-ups, our goal is always the same: to communicate your brand’s promise in language that informs, inspires, and activates.

New York, NY
  • River + Wolf
    605 West 113 Suite 2
    New York, NY 10025

We work nationally and internationally with clients of every size--from start-ups to Fortune 500s. River + Wolf also provides brand naming and storytelling services to branding, design, advertising, and media studios.

Naming for Nail Care & Spa Package Company

"The names were praised both internally and externally. We're very satisfied with the quality and speed of their work."

Mar. - July 2018

River + Wolf created a presentation of name options for a beauty shop and their 27 nail polish colors. Following a discovery meeting, they came up with over 100 potential names that aligned with the brand.

New Jersey
Head of Product Development, TUTTI

River + Wolf’s proposed names were well received by internal employees and clients. With a professional and time-oriented work ethic, the team showed their dedication to the project. They leveraged their expertise to accurately mirror the brand in their suggested names.

I’m the head of product development for a beauty and spa company. We privately own and operate 17 beauty styling stores on the east coast of the United States. Eleven of those stores are located inside luxury shopping malls.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We struggled to name our service and our nail polish, so we decided to look for a partner to help.

In an initial discovery meeting, we spoke with River + Wolf to discuss ideas for the name. A few weeks later, they came back with a PowerPoint presentation that included multiple names for our 27 nail polish shades and over 100 options for our shade names. Each idea was accompanied by a short explanation. They accounted for legal issues in each of the name options.

We worked with the founder of River + Wolf.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

We contacted several companies on Clutch. River + Wolf was kind, sincere, and enthusiastic, so we chose to partner with them.

In total, we spent $20,000.

We worked together from March 2018–July 2018.

The names were praised both internally and externally. We’re very satisfied with the quality and speed of their work.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

The founder managed the project extremely well. She was responsible, knowledgeable, and timely. Her guidance was valuable to our company. Additionally, River + Wolf was very responsive throughout the engagement.

They worked as part of our internal team. We really appreciated their patience and their willingness to share their own ideas.

It’s very easy to reach them and they always deliver on time.
    They worked a lot more than what we paid for.
    All of our employees are satisfied.
    I’d work with them and I’s recommend them to friends and coworkers.

Renaming for Medical Component Manufacturer

We've been pleased with what we received. It was a great value.”

May - July 2018

Helping an organization find a new name, River+Wolf took full charge of the renaming process, presenting the in-house team with the name that is now being trademarked.

Roanoke, Virginia
Lydia Brantingham-Payne
Marketing Communications Manager, Plastics One

The internal team and the leadership are impressed with the results. Great listeners, River+Wolf delivered the name that meets all requirements, while their responsiveness and flawless project management contributed to the positive experience.

I'm the marketing and communications manager at Plastics One. We're a medical component manufacturer.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We've been around for 80 years, but our name didn't really describe us. We were looking for a vendor to help us rename our organization.

We didn't know how to go about renaming. They had a few phone calls with us to discuss the direction we wanted to go in and then, they guided us through the entire process. We found the name we liked after one round, so we're currently working with a trademark lawyer to get it trademarked. They also recommended someone who is helping us with the logo.

We worked directly with Margaret (Owner, River+Wolf).

How did you come to work with them?

We found them through a Google search. We were impressed with their website, the reviews they had, and their responsiveness, so we chose them.

We spent between $15,000–$25,000.

We worked with them from May–July 2018.

Our CEO, our graphic designer, and myself were impressed with their accuracy and their response times. Margaret listened to us and found the name that we wanted.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very thorough with their processes and documentation. Also, they worked very quickly.

They have a fantastic team.

I can't think of anything.

We've been pleased with what we received. It was a great value.
    She always made sure we were comfortable with the deadlines and the schedule.
    They do a great job.

Naming Services for Travel Sleep System Product

"I had trouble picking a final name because they came up with so many creative options."

June - Aug. 2016

River + Wolf led a naming process for a new product, providing multiple rounds of brainstorming as well as research on trademark conflicts.

Michelle DuPre
CEO, Tandem Goods

Internal and external feedback to the name has been overwhelmingly positive. Expertise and responsiveness were hallmarks of their work. River + Wolf brought creative ideas to the table at an affordable cost, which made them a valuable partner.

I’m the CEO and founder of Tandem Goods, we make a 3-in-1 sleep system that allows you to take the best parts of your personal pillow with you when you travel.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

I needed help in coming up with a name for the pillow.

I met with Margaret (founder, River + Wolf) and showed her the product. I talked about how we were hoping to market and brand it, and who I thought was the main audience. She took all that information and within a week or so came back to me with the first round of names. We whittled down the list until we landed on Tandem. Part of the process was making sure that the names weren't trademarked yet. She referred me to an attorney to apply for a trademark, which I've since gotten registered.

I primarily worked with Margaret.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

I searched online for naming or branding companies in New York City. I reached out to a few different companies and they were the first to get back to me. They were also the nicest. I spoke to Margaret on the phone and I really liked the things that she had to say.

It was very affordable. I spent several thousand dollars on the naming process and a few thousand more for the trademark.

We worked together from June–August 2016.

We recently launched our campaign on Kickstarter. Everybody that I've pitched the product to loves the name. I had trouble picking a final name because they came up with so many creative options.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

The whole process was super easy. They’re extremely organized, which helps them work very quickly. Margaret was already starting to throw out some possible names in my initial meeting with her. Everything went really smoothly.

They have a real intimate feel as a company. It felt very supportive. Margaret has checked in with me over the years to see how we’re doing. She's even supported our Kickstarter campaign. She's been a real champion for my company, and I don't think bigger agencies would do that. The communication I had with other agencies felt really impersonal.

Overall Score They went above and beyond, providing more than I asked for.
    They came in early on the deadline.
    They were more affordable than other companies I considered.
    They were incredibly creative in coming up with names.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Product Naming for Smart Phone Carrier Company

"We were made to feel comfortable during the collaboration, and we felt we could trust River + Wolf."

Apr. - June 2018

River + Wolf developed a branding name and assisted with trademark registration for a product nearing introduction to the market. They researched and presented almost a thousand names before one was selected.

California
Linda Yin
Marketing Director, Foxx Development Inc.

The chosen product name has drawn praise for its creativity and usefulness. River + Wolf exhibited tremendous patience during the complex and tedious process. Their research was thorough, taking into consideration a name’s history and its potential for future success.

Foxx Development is focused on mobile phones, data cards, internet of things (IoT) solutions, and smart devices. Our business is based in the U.S., and our customers include major cell phone service providers. I am the marketing director of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We have a smartphone product that will launch in the American market soon. We have built our branding for the product launch to market and we needed a product name. We also hoped to develop our branding for the U.S. market in the near future and be welcomed by consumers.

I am new to brand name development and didn't have rich experience in terms of creating a very special brand name and image. River + Wolf did a lot of background work focusing on the new name. Together, we went through almost a thousand names and shortlisted 70–100. River + Wolf presented us with a PowerPoint slide with the logic, background, and meaning for each name. Through several rounds of deliberation, we cut the list to 50, 10, and eventually three names. It was a complex process that required patience and strong communication.

Once we made a decision, we started the trademark registration. This is a complex process involving lawyer participation. It was especially difficult for me as a non-native speaker. The lawyers needed to use precise and abstract language in their emails, but River + Wolf translated those into simple terms for me.

I interfaced with the founder, who also serves as the creative chief.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

We reviewed several firms—one from New York, one from Washington D.C. Our product needed to launch to the market soon, and we needed a branding name and marketing collateral. The firm from Washington told us that they wouldn’t have enough time to meet our requirements, but they recommended River + Wolf to us. I got in touch with them and vetted them. I was in contact with another company from New York at the time, but the River + Wolf founder was easygoing and willing to introduce and share with me a lot. Price was also a consideration and River + Wolf gave us a good offer.

The total cost of their work has been more than $20,000.

We started working with River + Wolf at the beginning of April 2018. The project was completed in mid-June.

Our company has liked the logo and brand name produced by them, and we have started to use them. My colleagues are quite pleased with me, and I owe this to River + Wolf’s willingness to educate me. They’ve also given us a lot of reference ideas for other company brands.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They were friendly and helpful throughout the entire process, which was quite lengthy and detailed. In addition to the naming suggestions, they were able to offer suggestions for how to develop our branding as well.

I was able to assign the full project to their founder and not worry about it. I trusted her and her team to deliver perfectly. She shared her ideas with us and guided us toward the correct approach. We were made to feel comfortable during the collaboration, and we felt we could trust River + Wolf. I’ve gotten a lot of praise from colleagues for the logo and brand name, but I know that it wasn’t actually my work. I simply had a good collaboration partner.

Overall Score It's been an amazing experience.
    We had a very tight deadline and asked them to expedite their work. They delivered early.
    We chose River + Wolf because of their reasonable pricing and communication.

Naming for Education Mentorship Nonprofit

"Naming a company is something most people think they can do themselves, but River + Wolf proved why they’re experts."

n/a

Mar. - Apr. 2018

River + Wolf developed an original name that would stand out in a crowded industry. They conducted research on the offered services and educational trends to find a unique and proper branding.

Joie Jager-Hyman
Co-Founder, College Prep 360

River + Wolf compiled nearly 50 options before helping narrow down the choices until one truly creative and original name remained. The moniker is representative of company goals and stands decidedly apart from others in the industry. River + Wolf was organized, dedicated, and thoughtful.

I am the co-founder of a startup that matches students with mentors at universities and academic nonprofits.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We needed a firm to help us find a proper name for our startup.

We were presented with several questionnaires about the brand, our products, and our services. After they studied our answers, they compiled a list of 40 or 50 different names and we whittled those down until we found one that we loved.

We worked with the founder, who also serves as the creative chief.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

My co-founder had worked with River + Wolf in the past and had a pleasant experience.

We worked together from March 2018 to April 2018.

We are fully satisfied with the name, and we are excited for our company to launch. We believe the name is creative and different without being elusive. We feel it is representative of who we are.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They were well organized and on time. The process did not take long at all, but they were efficient, creative, and original.

I had no idea how much work went into deciding a name, but they approached it from different angles and found something original.

They were easy to work with and had no issues meeting deadlines.
  • N/A Cost
    The name was fantastic and creative.

Brand Name Development for Handbag Manufacturer

"They are reliable, organized, trustworthy, and capable."

Oct. 2017 - Jan. 2018

After a comprehensive brand review, River + Wolf presented several potential names for a product line.

Taiwan
Wendy Shen
Owner, Synthesis Direct LLC

River + Wolf offered creative ideas and outstanding industry advice, connecting the in-house team with additional marketing partners. The agency's organized, innovative approach minimized delays while ensuring excellent results.

I’m the owner of Synthesis Direct LLC, a handbag manufacturer.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We needed help with brand name development to sell our products in the U.S.

They asked me several questions about the character of our products. They were trying to figure out what kind of product we have and identify our audience and target market. They came up with names for us to choose from.

I work with their chief creative.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

We shared our requirements with several different companies. We wanted River + Wolf because their website was very attractive.

We have spent $10,000.

We worked together from October 2017 until January 2018.

After we developed our brand name, they introduced me to other marketing teams and design companies. They helped support us while we launched the brand name and business.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They are reliable, organized, trustworthy, and capable of completing any project.

They’re very creative, and they have never delayed a project. We’re very happy to have found them.

They’re a small company. If they expanded a little and offered more comprehensive services, it would be good for their company and clients.

Overall Score They provided what we wante, gave suggestions and advice, and never failed to deliver our requests. Their service is always very comprehensive.
    It was fair.
    They’re reliable and trustworthy.

Naming for Healthcare Contract Supplier

"The naming exercise was extremely successful and we’re very happy with the outcome."

Sept. - Dec. 2017

River + Wolf led a naming exercise for a new healthcare company's product. They provided multiple rounds of naming and guided the company through the trademark registration process.

New Jersey
Marketing Director, RingmasterTech

The new name, lauded internally and externally, will play a key role in bringing the product to market. River + Wolf's responsiveness and professionalism not only enhanced the project creatively, but also set them up for a potential future engagement.

I'm in charge of marketing for a new company creating a quote-to-contract site for the healthcare industry. We haven't brought it to market yet, but the site will give clients the ability to shop for insurance, get a quote, sign contracts online, and have everything stored virtually. It makes for a quick and efficient process.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We used River + Wolf to help us figure out a perfect name for the product. We needed a name that would tell the market what we do in just one word, and be attractive to our target audience.

River + Wolf led three rounds of naming. They not only brought out the psychological aspects of the process but also opened our minds to what we were really trying to accomplish and the demographics of who we were trying to target. This helped us focus on who is going to be using our product. We don't want it to be disruptive; we want people that work on this every day to feel that the product is helpful and makes their job easier.

As the only woman working with a bunch of men, River + Wolf really helped me get them to embrace an "outside of the box” mentality. They did a great job honing in on exactly what we wanted our company to look like, not just on paper as a name but in the industry as well.

I only worked with Margaret (founder, River + Wolf).

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

My husband owned a healthcare company so he’d been through this process many times with companies in the metropolitan area. As a new company, we wanted to find someone that offered a personal touch. We interviewed a few companies by phone and it was Margaret's personality and intelligence that made me want to work with her.

I believe we’ve spent about $15,000. We're still going through the legal process of trademarking the name, so that number may go up.

We started in September 2017 and I got an email around Thanksgiving of 2017 that the name that we’d chosen was available.

The naming exercise was extremely successful and we’re very happy with the outcome. They helped us identify our main demographic which is people that actually sit at their desk every day and work on multiple files to search for revenue savings. The product’s name is something that makes them feel good about what they’re doing every day, and is also something that can actually help get their job done with speed and efficiency. So far, the name has been working very well attracting not only these people but also their bosses. We've gotten very good feedback across the board. In fact, we’re thinking of starting a new company and I've already reached out to Margaret to use River + Wolf again.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

Margaret is extremely organized and she kept us on track. She managed not only the project but all of the people involved as well. The project started slowly for us because we were going in different directions, and she was able to get us to hone in on the key issues. By focusing on who we want to be and what we want to sell, she helped us get a name that really worked. She’s phenomenal and she made it a really smooth, effortless process. She also worked at lightning speed; it only took a few months to complete the project from start to finish.

Their eagerness to help and their creativity are very impressive. They’re able to work with multiple personalities and really make them understand the importance of the naming process. Their professionalism, psychological viewpoints, and knowledge of the business made them an excellent partner for us. For example, they know how important a trademark is so they made sure that we submitted our name as soon as possible.

The only thing I can say is that they need more staff because they're so busy. I'm probably going to put my next project on hold in order to fit their timeline and availability.

Overall Score A very effortless and pleasurable experience.
    They kept us on target and got the job done.
    Their cost was right on target and fit to our budget.
    The service was exquisite.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Naming for Independent Marketing Agency

"They go above and beyond to make sure they conform to our expectations."

Nov. 2017 - Jan. 2018

River + Wolf conceptualized a unique name for a media agency that represented its growing client diversity.

Westport, Connecticut
EVP of Marketing & Insights, Media Services Agency

Internal feedback on the new name has been very positive. River + Wolf made a tremendous effort to ensure they met expectations and developed not only a fitting new name, but also rationale behind the name for effortless messaging.

I’m the EVP of marketing and insights at an independent marketing and media agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We were looking to rebrand our company’s name to reflect that while our company is women-centric, we also manage brands that focus on men and a dual audience.

We had an initial phone call to discuss our plan for the rebranding. River + Wolf then did some preliminary work before Margaret Wolfson [Founder and Chief Creative, River + Wolf] came to our offices where she and our CEO had a two-hour discussion about the project’s process and timeline. Margaret and her team then came up with a really great categorization process to develop different names we’d be interested in for our company. We went through several rounds of that.

Since settling on a name, River + Wolf continue to guide us through the rebranding process.

We’ve only worked with Margaret, though there are others on her team who are working on our project.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

I found them while searching online. I really liked their site, so I decided to reach out to them. We had great chemistry with Margaret, which is especially important if we expected to work well together creatively. We also admired their past work, so we decided to move forward with them.

We’ve spent about $15,000.

We began working with them in November 2017 and although we haven’t re-launched yet, we completed the rebranding work in January 2018.

Because we haven’t officially re-launched yet, we don’t have any data on external feedback, but internally, my management team is really excited about the new name. They feel it perfectly encompasses our company’s mission.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They go above and beyond to make sure they conform to our expectations. They worked so hard to ensure they found the perfect name for our company. They worked over the holiday to get everything done in a timely manner.

When you’re changing the name of an agency, you need to think about how you’re going to message it out. Margaret and her team gave such great rationales for the names they suggested, and it makes messaging so much easier.

I can’t think of anything — we’re very satisfied.

Naming for Mobile Gaming Company

"Margaret was very thorough, thoughtful, and she put a comprehensively creative touch on their process."

Aug. - Oct. 2017

River + Wolf brainstormed naming ideas for three online games and made recommendations based on branding, context, and goals.

Seattle, Washington
Ashley Davidson
Senior Marketing Manager, Big Fish Games

Their name ideas dominated the top-20 list that was later generated by focus groups and consumer research. River + Wolf was easy to reach, thoughtful, and very helpful.

I am a senior marketing manager at Big Fish Games and we publish free to play mobile games on devices.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

When it comes to new games, the effort and focus that it takes to come up with a good name was something that we were having trouble finding internally.

They provided us with what they call homework, which was essentially a worksheet that was very easy for us to complete, informing them on the brand behind the game, the key consumer benefits of the game, and what we were trying to achieve in the name. They took that information along with some visual reference and came up with a couple of ideas for directional themes to take their naming process in. We had a few follow-up conversations with them to be sure they were going down the right path and had everything that they needed to start brainstorming. And finally, they came back to us with a full presentation and their rationale for each one. They went through that process for three games.

Margaret Wolfson [Founder & Chief Creative, River + Wolf] was our main point of contact. There was one other person on some of the calls, but we didn't interface with him as much.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

We originally found them on your site, Clutch.co. A combination of the reviews and their area of expertise got us interested, and then when we did an RFP (request for proposal) with five different agencies, they were the most impressive.

We spent in the range of $20,000 to $50,000, but we benefited from the economies of scale of doing the three naming projects in a row.

The project began in August 2017 and was completed in about eight weeks, with 2-3 weeks needed for each game.

We did some focus group research, which generated a top-20 list of potential names, and about 80% of those names originated out of their brainstorming work.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. There's definitely a need to give them good information so that we would get good results. That due diligence, providing insights, branding, and context, is a necessary part of the process. With that said, it is a collaborative process, but they take ownership of the brainstorm and the presentation of ideas.

I really enjoyed working with Margaret. She was very thorough, thoughtful, and she put a comprehensively creative touch on their process. She really thought through the experience the end consumer will have with the name. She was also very responsive and asked us good questions.

I don't think so. They offered us more services, but we didn't have the budget for them.

They've followed through on every deadline they've set and honored our timing constraints.
    It's average pricing.

Naming for Travel Subscription-Based Company

"We’re excited about our relationship and the work they’ve done because we’re happy with the result."

June - July 2017

River + Wolf led two naming projects for a travel startup, the first involving the creation of their company's name, and another that launched months later involving the naming of their customer-only brand.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Jimmy Ezzell
President, Wonder 7 Global

The new names created by River + Wolf have already set up the startup for success as they look to expand and develop an international business. Working with River + Wolf is an enjoyable and educational experience as they walk you through the linguistics of what it means to make a quality name.

Wonder 7 Global is a travel subscription-based company, with a members-only travel website. We also have what’s called Wonder Escapes, which are curated trips unique to our members. I’m the president.

What challenge were you trying to address with River + Wolf?

We needed help naming our startup company.

We did two projects with Margaret [Founder, River + Wolf] and her team. The first was creating our name. She came up with Wonder 7 Global and helped us go through that process. Our chairman of the board, myself, and other major executives loved it. After that project was done, I came back to her for our customer-only program here in North America. She helped us create that name as well.

We spent some time going through different styles and what we were looking for. Margaret used a questionnaire that gave a good sense, a good feel, and even industry competitor names, as well as doing an extensive interview. The team then put together a presentation deck with names in different categories and styles. We narrowed those down to the next batch. After that, another gentleman did a pre-check for trademarks to see if there were any major problems. Once that went through and some of them got mocked up, we chose from a few finalists. We decided on the name we wanted, then worked with the trademark guys to move forward.

I worked with Margaret.

How did you come to work with River + Wolf?

I vetted out 3–5 top-rated marketing firms in different parts of the company and started interviewing them. It was close, but there was a connection with Margaret and the way she explained the process.

We've spent between $8,000–$10,000.

We started working together in June 2017 until July 2017.

It was a great process for us. We love both names. As we’re starting to prelaunch, I introduced the brand and the company to 75 of our top distributors who loved the name as well. We’ve created a nice brand and a logo with it. I told Margaret initially that the biggest thing for us was to make sure these names would be legacy names. We feel they’re both that way.

How did River + Wolf perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re phenomenal. I've dealt with many vendors, and Margaret was so pleasant to work with and so quick to respond, even on the weekends, since we’re an international, multi-national company. I have no issues or complaints with their project management.

I highly recommend them. We’re excited about our relationship and the work they’ve done because we’re happy with the result. We have two phenomenal brand names that we can build a massive company around. As a startup, we knew our brand and name were important, so we didn’t mind making the investment. We were impressed with Margaret's process, her responsiveness, and the way she handled her group coming up with the names. She empowered us and helped educate us from a linguistics standpoint, understanding how a name sounds, the syllables, and comparing it to other names and brands inside our space. She did an excellent job and helped us make good decisions.

We had such a good experience. That’s why I picked her again. I did a project with her less than two months later with our other brand. If I ever start another company, I’ll go to her and invest in the process again.

Overall Score We’re grateful for the relationship, the experience, and their expertise and knowledge in making sure we started our company in the right way.
    They’re prompt and execute the needed deadlines.
    The value of what we got was well worth the investment.
    Excellent quality and service.
    If anyone ever needed a referral, I would personally give them one.