The User Experience Design Consultancy

We started Slide UX to support the product teams and marketers who want to be sure their sites & mobile applications are useful, usable, good-looking, and optimized.

Our focus is on user interface design - iterative wireframing, rapid prototyping, and visual design - but we often begin a lot earlier, with generative user research, persona development, requirements definition, experience mapping, and information architecture. And we hang around to clean up the job with tasks like pattern library development, usability testing, conversion optimization, and marketing.

Perhaps most importantly, our clients love us. Nothing makes us happier than making life easier for the busy product managers and marketing teams we support.

Get in touch! We'd love to talk: [email protected]

512.514.6010
  • Slide UX Boston, MA
  • Slide UX Brooklyn, NY
  • Slide UX Flagstaff, AZ

Indeed.com, Sysco Foods, A Place For Mom, the American Board of Radiology, Charles Schwab, RetailMeNot, Atlassian, CreditCards.com, Harman/JBL, RoosterTeeth, VMware, St. Edwards University, HID Global, Actian, Dimensional Fund Advisors, Perillo Tours, Wayne Fueling Systems, Ziften

Streamlined Design for Data Integration Application

"Personality-wise, they’re an ideal fit for our company."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Slide UX provides design and software requirements consultation for integration management products, prioritizing an intuitive customer experience. Deliverables include wireframes and user research analysis.

Palo Alto, California
UX Designer, Software Company

The new application has already attracted enthusiastic feedback from internal stakeholders, many of whom appreciate the product’s improved usability and simplicity. Slide UX’s thoughtful suggestions, consistent quality, and flexibility amidst a shifting scope continue to impress.

I’m the UX designer at a software company that focuses on building integration software on the cloud and on-premise software for our customers. Our primary users are developers, but we also target admins and people who may be managing integration.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

Building software for integration is quite complicated. Our goals include creating integration software that is simple and intuitive for our users and building out complicated integrations. With the next generation of our integration products, we wanted to focus on the usability and simplicity of our products, both on-premise and for the cloud.

We started with initial discovery. We were building out a new integration platform as a service that was our focus for the year. We weren’t sure how to tackle that objective from a UX perspective, so we brought in Slide UX fairly early to provide an integration platform as a service to our users. They were part of several of our design and requirement conversations, and they started building out wireframes and designs based on our discussions.

Over the past nine months, our requirements and delivery goals have constantly changed. Slide UX is flexible in making those changes and requirements. We’re still providing an integration platform as a service, but we’re more focused on a specific piece of that now: providing data-integration management tools versus all the other types of integrations that we offer. They’re working with us to navigate the requirements for that piece and strategizing how we can provide an intuitive experience for our integration customers.

We always had user research in the plans with Slide UX. Throughout the past nine months, they’ve done a lot of design work and wireframes for us. User research is the last thing that gets cut from our requirements, but more recently Slide UX did some basic surveys of our users. They put together a survey with about 30 questions, sent it out, and are in the process of analyzing that data to see what path we should take with some of the features of our product.

Early in the process, they provided a prototype of some of the designs they did. They’re constantly giving us updated design artifacts. I’m able to play with them and iterate over some of those designs. They’ve also put together a style guide to promote consistency for our development team as they’re creating the UI.

We’ve worked with probably five people, but we are consistently working with Erin [Founder & User Experience Architect, Slide UX] and Megan [UX Researcher, Slide UX]. They’ve brought in a few people with more experience or a specialty in certain areas. For example, when we were working on digital design concepts, they brought in somebody who specialized in putting together visual designs. When we were doing the survey, they brought in someone who specialized in user research and survey writing.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

We’d worked with Slide UX for another project about three years ago. I’m not sure how they were discovered for that project. We liked working together, so we approached them again for this bigger project. They had the background knowledge from the previous project, so they didn’t have to learn many concepts. Personality-wise, they’re an ideal fit for our company.

We’ve spent $100,000–$200,000.

We started working together in December 2016, and our collaboration is ongoing.

I don’t have data because we just launched the new application and don’t have any customers on it yet. We’ve shown the new web application to internal stakeholders who use the product constantly and received great feedback. They said that we’re resolving some of the complications and difficulties they faced with the previous product.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed well. I can’t think of an instance where we’ve had an issue. We meet every week, and they provide several different tools, including Basecamp, to coordinate the collaboration and project schedules.

We’ve had a positive experience with Slide UX. They’re easy to work with. Since we’ve constantly changed our requirements, I’m always a little nervous to tell them when we’re about to change the requirements again. But, they’ve always worked with us on that. They have other resources within their organization who can assist when we need them, which has been really helpful.

I can’t think of any ways they could improve. I’ve really enjoyed working with them.

Rapid Prototyping for Software Development Company

"I was really impressed by how much they got done in a short amount of time."

June - July 2017

Slide UX collaborated on ideation and development to demonstrate a key back office product line. The team completed three use case prototypes with app-quality UX simulation using static clicks.

VP, Backoffice Software Company

Slide UX deftly sifted complex information to highlight industry edge. While one designer’s innovation outshone the other’s, the prototypes played well to the target audience. The team’s asynchronous project management, receptivity to feedback, and clear communication simplified remote workflow.

Our company supplies back office software, technology and integration for agencies, authorities, and public entities around the world. I’m vice president of global product and strategy management for the back office solution.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We had an important product line that we needed a series of demonstrations for. Some of the functionality was under development or going to be under development shortly. We wanted some functional prototypes that would explicate our vision.

We did the ideation together. We described what we were trying to accomplish and what worked or hadn’t worked previously for us in our industry. They took that input and worked it through a couple of iterations.

Some of the use cases were easier than others. Some required three or four quick rounds of ideation and some one or two. Based on the ideation, they constructed clickable, functional prototypes for us, using static clicks and back office data. The prototypes simulated an app-quality user experience, but without the full functionality. One prototype was very complex and took most of the time. One involved medium complexity and one was really straightforward.

I had contact with the owner. There was also a project manager, a lead designer, and a second designer.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

I had certain criteria in looking for firms: I wanted a small, local firm. That’s partly because I’m based in Texas and a big portion of my team is in Argentina. We had a very short turnaround time of four or five weeks from the point of contact to the point of completion. I also wanted a firm that either wholly or mostly specialized in prototyping and design.

I considered three other providers, two in Buenas Aires, and one in Texas. The firms in Buenas Aires offered significantly lower rates than in the U.S. But they, along with the Texas firm, were more strictly web development firms that would want to come in and quickly complete our project. I felt that this approach wouldn’t yield the results and volume I was looking for or make use of the rapid prototyping tools available.

Only Slide UX met all of my criteria, especially with their design and prototyping focus.

I brought them in for an interview and had them engage with my team in Buenos Aires to make sure that they could work well with that team remotely, as well as in person with our Texas team. They demonstrated that capability. They also provided quality references that assured me they met obligations with a good turnaround time.

$30,000.

We started working together in June 2017 and completed the project in July 2017.

We wanted to produce something that our pod audience would be interested in seeing. The demos worked well and did exactly what we wanted them to do. I was very pleased.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Basecamp to communicate, and it went well. Their asynchronous setup was a good fit for the project and for our geographically dispersed team. I really appreciated the fact that they were intentional about the asynchronous approach, rather than it being an afterthought. They clearly know how to operate that way, which can be very difficult.

Their project manager was approachable and a clear communicator. With a timeline of only four-and-a-half weeks, it’s easy for there to be misunderstandings and different ideas of how things should work out. She was very receptive to changes and ensured that things stayed on track with what I wanted. I really appreciated her.

The way things worked out, there really were very few resources assigned to our project—I had one designer working on one thing at any given time. We didn’t have a large team coordinating work. Having a project manager who had direct responsibility for this was a good move on their part.

They did a great job of discerning what they needed to learn in order to deliver what we wanted. They limited their focus to what would directly impact the project. We couldn’t give them a crash course on our complex industry, but I pointed out some focus areas that would differentiate us from our competition. They drilled down on these, and the resulting prototypes highlighted that edge with a nice, usable design.

They were also extraordinarily receptive to feedback. We made a few changes because, from my perspective, things weren’t quite correct. They were very open to this and gave helpful feedback themselves when asked for their opinion.

I was really impressed by how much they got done in a short amount of time. Our goal was to complete at least two kinds of use cases, with a stretch goal of four. That we completed three in the time allowed was pretty amazing.

There was a large ability gap between their senior designer and the other designer on our project. I would grade the senior designer, who is a firm partner, as an A, and the other designer as a B or B-.

They switched the senior designer for the other designer in the middle of the project, which was fine. The second designer’s work was good and exactly what I would’ve expected, although I’m not a UI expert. However, I would’ve preferred to continue working with the senior designer, who had more novel and interesting takes on our designs while still fitting within our paradigm and with less back-and-forth.

Overall Score There’s always room for improvement.
    They met all of the deadlines, which wasn’t easy. They were clearly committed.
    This was a pricey endeavor, but we needed it done, and they were upfront with costs. They delivered what we expected at a good value.
    A longer timeframe would’ve allowed for higher quality.
    They did a really good job.

Rebranding & UI Redesign for Senior Care Provider

"They’re a full-service marketing firm. It seems like they’re good at everything."

2015 - 2017

Slide UX conducted a cohesive rebrand to provide a more modern look and feel. They conducted market research, iterated the new logo and color schemes, redesigned the website's UX, and optimized for SEO.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Seattle, Washington
Barry Mayer
Sr. Account Executive, You've Got Leads

Slide UX is engaged and transparent throughout the entire process. Friendly and detail-driven, the team uses cutting-edge productivity tools to stay on track. The stunning marketing collateral and website have had a huge impact on the brand’s position.

You’ve Got Leads is a is a division of A Place for Mom. A Place for Mom, our parent organization, is the largest elder care referral network in the country. You’ve Got Leads is the software division and, more specifically, it’s a customer relationship management program for the senior care/housing industry. I’m the senior account executive. I sell and marketing You’ve Got Leads to the senior care industry and I manage one other full-time sales employee on the team and also help manage support as well. I also have significant responsibility when it comes to marketing the product itself and features and functionality that go into You’ve Got Leads as a program.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

You’ve Got Leads itself really hadn’t ever had a rebrand or a refresh. The business challenge was that it had become a bit antiquated in branding and its logo. A Place for Mom had gone through a rebrand itself and had left behind the similar logo that You’ve Got Leads was using so there was a disconnect there meaning it just looked even more outdated to somebody that’s a prospect or customer. We needed to decide if we needed to do a complete rebrand and a renaming of the product or should we do a refresh and keep the name and potentially come up with a new logo and maybe some new colors, look and feel.

Slide UX helped us through the process with surveying existing customers, prospects in the industry, even people outside the industry. We somewhat predicted the response regarding the name You’ve Got Leads, or YGL as most users refer to it as. The response was overwhelming that we should keep the name. Based on that feedback, we moved forward with basically a refresh rather than a complete rebrand. We needed to come up with a great logo.

The progression was initially understanding more about what You’ve Got Leads is and who we are in this industry and who our audience is. What does the user look like that uses You’ve Got Leads on a day to day basis? Slide UX put together a full presentation of that and wrote it up in a section as if they were the marketer which was awesome. They shared that with us to make sure that we knew that they knew exactly the challenges our users face and why You’ve Got Leads is so valuable and critical.

In between the actual work and coming up with iterations of a new logo, we also did the surveys and everything else and they helped with that and they wrote surveys for us and just helped us every step of the way through that process and analyzing the results. Then we got into the refresh of the logo. We went through several rounds of logos and gave them feedback. We narrowed it down from five different categories with at least seven or ten logos in each category to one category that we really liked. Then we took a couple of logos from that category and narrowed that down further. All this time they’re just giving us more iterations of the logo with color and so on. That whole process was great and very collaborative. I love our logo. It’s incredible. It’s so much better now and people have nothing but positive things to say about it. It is incredibly versatile. I’ve been around this industry for a while and know how easy it is to mess that up.

After the first project was completed, we went back to them for another project. I know they’re a full-service marketing firm. It seems like they’re good at everything. We wanted to redo the user-experience, user-interface, what the actual pages looked like. This was an awesome experience for us because truth be told, we really hadn’t had a professional look at You’ve Got Leads as far as the screens themselves and what the user experiences when they click on something or the look in the field. We hadn’t ever had a full on UI professional take a look and mock up the sections and pages. In the beginning, there were some programmers that redid some pages, but this was the first time someone helped us with optimization. They know what users respond to, and they helped us with our dashboard and optimizing it for a mobile site. They also helped on optimizing the other main sections for leads and lead tracking in the program which includes the activities page for the lead and also the master record for a lead and lead search. When you log into our program and you have 1,000 leads, what does the page look like where you have to filter down and search for people that you’re looking for? They helped us specifically with the mobile dashboard, the desktop dashboard, the lead search page, and the activities page for a lead.

We had at least four or five resources from Slide UX dedicated to different areas of our projects. Erin [Young, Founder] and Lindsay [Winters, Interactive & User Design] were there every call, and there were others as well. Chad [Currie, Creative Director] was the head designer.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

My boss and another senior VP knows Slide UX. We have offices in Austin, Texas, where they are located. They worked with other divisions of A Place for Mom and some projects that we’re working on for the homecare industry. We usually reach out to them to submit a quote for these types of smaller jobs and other things.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

We spent between $15,000 and $20,000 over the course of our relationship.

We began working with them in the summer of 2015. The UI project was in the first quarter of 2017. All of our projects have been completed. We are now doing the coding of the pages ourselves.

We’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback from our client base and customers themselves, and even prospects and other industry professionals. We get great feedback at shows -- we started to go to trade shows and exhibits, and we have some new materials and booth display. We haven’t launched the redesign yet so I don’t have any metrics. It hasn’t been experienced by any user at this point. We will have beta testers on the new redesign in June. We’ve had some growth in the division itself and so that’s been great. I don’t know if you can attribute it to a new logo, but it has certainly allowed us to put ourselves at the forefront again of the industry. A lot of times it’s intangible what consistent branding and marketing does for you. It’s hard to put your finger on a value number, but it’s been great for marketing and for real materials for our trade shows and conferences.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

On a scale of one to ten, I’d give them a ten, ten being the highest and best performing. They were very detail-oriented and thorough which is great. They didn’t leave anything by the wayside or brushing over certain critical details. When you’re going through features, functionality, look and feel of software, it is quite easy to miss things and so you have to be very deliberate and conscientious with every piece and function. They approached our project that way and it wasn’t just verbalizing it on calls, it was using good tools. They would show us the mockups so we could see exactly what they did and how they got there. They explained why they chose to do certain things and asked for our feedback. It was a collaboration.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

They’re incredibly friendly, professional, and wonderful people to work with. That is something that you desire right off the bat. Are they a great communicator? Do I enjoy the calls that we have and the time that we spend together working towards a common goal, which is to make our product better?

Getting down to their actual process, it’s very detail-oriented. They start from the ground up and work with you every step of the way. I think that’s one thing that sets them apart is their ability to share their initial thoughts and the work. Some companies won’t do that. They would prefer to share with you the end result, not so much any of the details on how they got there. Slide seems to be very open about that. They show us a drawing or a sketch that maybe Lindsay or Erin did. I really appreciate that, because it gives you full insight and visibility into their entire process.

The quality of work is top-notch as well. I think they’re also on the cutting edge of the tools at their disposal. I’m not an expert in what tools are out there to communicate to clients if you’re a marketing professional or a user experience professional. Slide introduced a couple of neat and pretty awesome tools like Zeplin for one. I had no clue about that program and it’s just a mock-up type application software. I appreciate that they stay up on useful applications within their industry to help them do a better job for you.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

Nothing stands out. I really wish we could find budget to work with them ongoing. As we get more budget, we would definitely welcome them back to iterate on more of the sections in You’ve Got Leads.

Overall Score They’re just wonderful to work with. They provide great quality. I look forward to working with Erin and her team again.
    They met all our deadlines and took care of the scheduling. They were the ones that stayed on top of our monthly meetings for sure and then oftentimes we would have multiple meetings in a month.
    They delivered great work to us which we’re using. We used every stitch of their work and suggestions.
    They delivered on everything they promised and the quality is right at the top. I couldn’t find any issue with their quality.
    I would refer them to any business colleague or friend with no hesitation.

UX Redesign for Ticket Vending Company

"Their people are their strength."

Nov. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Slide UX redesigned a price comparison tool to be more dynamic, exciting, and effective. Beginning with in-depth research into the system, they made features more intuitive and customized each page.

Caroline Gibbs
CPO, TicketCity

Although the redesign hasn’t yet been implemented, preliminary screenshots are quite strong. Slide UX was communicative, responsive and managed the project efficiently. Each team member was an asset to the project, supplying expert ideas and solutions.

The company is TicketCity, and we have a second division of our company called 360 Access. TicketCity is a marketplace for resales for concerts and sporting event tickets across the country. 360 Access is an inventory division that owns, procures, and distributes the inventory, whereas the marketplace is just an exchange. I am the chief purchasing officer and I’ve been with the company for 19 years.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

360 Access has a pricing tool called Axis. It’s the hub of our whole business where we log in, price our inventory, and compare it to other parts of our industry so that we’re priced competitively. My challenge was that it was built a long time ago in data tables and it was not user-friendly—even the color scheme was not friendly. I approached Slide UX to make it a more usable, workable, exciting tool that was more visually appealing, but also more dynamic and effective.

Phase one was them listening and understanding our business, diving into how we use our tool and what steps we take to get to what we need on each page. They took a lot of notes on what we’re looking for. They did research on our users and industry. We also gave them access to our tool so that they could poke around and look at it before we met. We met at least three or four times over the course of five months. Three people were on the project, with it mainly being Brant [Young, Partner & UX Architect], Hanna [O'Brien, Senior Producer], and sometimes Erin [Young, Founder & UX Architect.]

Then I prioritized which pages were the most important to me. They came back with their feedback and ideas. Afterward, they started the visual design of putting together screenshots that I either approved or made changes on. We started with our main page. For example, you log in and type “US Open.” The next page pulls up the event where you pick the day. Then it takes you to another page. We wanted to combine that initial first search process into something more user-friendly, so they completely changed the front home page where it’s now customized by each individual user. Now we can have events that we follow. For events that we are pricing, I can assign them to specific people on my team. We made it better in its usability. We added features as well, so you’re not just digging around. It’s all right there when you get on that home page.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

The president of our company either met with them before (Erin, in particular) or they had done work for us before. He told me I should meet with them. They were already familiar with our company. We’re an Austin-based business like they are, so they already knew the main gist of what we do. I really liked them and we hit it off, so I decided to go with them.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

It ended up being a little over $20,000.

We started in November 2016, and we just finished right at the end of April 2017. Some of that stalling was on me because I was traveling for the Super Bowl and Masters. Unfortunately, they were sometimes waiting on me for answers to stuff, and I was underwater.

Not yet. I’m waiting for my developer now to do the implementation of their work into our pricing tool, so we haven’t actually started using it yet.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an amazing job. The communication was spot-on. Every step of the way, I knew exactly what was happening. They have really good project management tools and websites where you can log in and see the screenshots of the progress of the project. I thought that was really cool.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

Their people are their strength. I really enjoyed my time with Brant, Hanna and Erin. From the couple of times that I met with her, I felt like she was really listening and understanding, and didn’t just do what I thought. They came up with suggestions, too. I took that as their understanding of what I wanted as an end result. Another strength of theirs was the communication and having those tools to reference.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

I told Hannah once there’s maybe a few too many resources at my disposal because I got a lot of emails on daily updates. That was a lot for me. I’m not a tech person and don’t do these projects all the time, so it may be that I’m not used to that. That would be my only complaint.

Honestly, I don’t know. I really don’t have much to compare it to, but it seems fair for what I got.
    I’m very happy with their finished project, and I wish my CFO would let me do more.
    I would be very likely to recommend.

UX Design for Medical Organization

"We’ve been so happy with Slide UX that I can’t think of anything that they could have done better."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Slide UX is developing a new website to improve user navigation and information access. The team has created wireframes, a revamped logo, multiple design iterations, and a template set for implementation.

Communications Director, Medical Organization

The board of governors and board of trustees expressed appreciation for the planned site. Slide UX quickly mastered the learning curve of meeting a complex organization’s needs, demonstrating patience, professionalism, and flexibility during transitions.

Our company is a non-profit, and our primary mission is providing certifications in the medical field through offering examinations. I am the director of communications.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We had a website that wasn’t meeting the needs of our users. We wanted to create a new website to improve their experience and better convey the information our users need. It was a challenge for people to find the information they were looking for. We also wanted to update the design and look of our website.

After Slide UX had been chosen, they sent a group of their team to our office so we could meet face-to-face. We held a meeting with a fairly large group of staff members and our executive director. The meeting was about a day and a half, and it was very productive. It helped us get an idea of what Slide UX could do and also gave them a good idea of how they would handle the project. The next step they took was interviewing more than a dozen people from various disciplines and roles who use our website. They conducted one-hour interviews with those people and assembled a list of the main problems they felt should be addressed for the project.

Slide UX provided a thorough outline of approaching the project with wireframes. The main challenge was the user navigation: people being able to find the information they were looking for. After the wireframes, they created a design that went through several iterations and was approved by our management.

Slide UX then provided a group of 10–12 templates that we are now using to implement their design. We are editing the content and migrating it from the old site to fit within the new specifications. We have a very thorough site map that Slide UX also provided.

Another project that was added later was the design of a new logo. It hasn’t been as extensive of a project as the website. Slide UX did a good job, giving us several choices and going through many steps to get to the final logo. That project has been completed.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

We sent out an RFP [request for proposal] to several companies and then held phone interviews. I was working with the IT director to decide which company to hire, and Slide UX definitely provided the most thorough proposal. We felt they were the best qualified to accomplish what we needed. Slide UX had definitely done their homework in answering the questions in the proposal.

Our engagement has lasted about nine months. Slide UX has completed their part of it, but they are still available to answer any questions that we have as we move through the process of implementing their design. Because their first meeting was so thorough and they got more information than they thought they would, we were able to skip one of the steps in the process and came in under budget. They could have walked us through the process and done everything as they had originally planned. Instead, they said, "We don’t think you need to do this part, and you can use that budget somewhere else.” To me, that showed professional ethics and integrity. If we find that we need more templates or further assistance from them, we have extra money in our budget that we can use.

Slide UX is now working on another project for us with a different group of people. I believe one reason they were hired to for that project was because they did such a good job designing our website.

Our executive management really loves the look of the website and what we’re planning. I can’t give feedback from our main audience yet since we haven’t officially launched the site, but I anticipate it’s going to be very good.

We were all blown away with how quickly Slide UX understood what we were trying to do and the different ins and outs of everything that we have to communicate through our website. It’s a steep learning curve because our work is very specialized. It’s not like your typical company that’s selling something; we’re a nonprofit organization. Slide UX jumped right in there and grasped everything. The questions they asked were amazing, and we were very impressed.

Another thing that happened midway through the project was that our IT director left to take another position, and a new IT director was appointed. Slide UX was very professional and patient throughout this transition. The transition added a couple of weeks to the project, but they handled all of that well.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management was also handled very well. We had weekly meetings with Slide UX by conference call, and at that point, it was a smaller group than the original meeting. Slide UX stayed on schedule, keeping us apprised and running things by us, as well as making changes we suggested.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

I think the two main things that stand out are Slide UX's intelligence and how they handled something unexpected that happened in the middle of the project. Their approach to the project was very well-organized, and the design of the final product that they produced for us is very professional.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

I honestly can’t think of any area of improvement. We’ve been so happy with Slide UX that I can’t think of anything that they could have done better.

Overall Score It’s been a really good experience.
    Slide UX had to work with us to revise our schedule in the middle of the project.
    Slide UX came in under budget.
    I don’t think I could have been more pleased with what Slide UX provided.
    I would definitely refer Slide UX to someone else.

Application UX for IT Services Firm

"We didn’t present them a design challenge they couldn’t solve."

May - June 2016

The client approached Slide UX to modernize the user interface and experience of their management application.

Matt Pavlovich
Co-Founder, Media Driver

Slide UX delivered on time, within budget, and developed unique, high-quality designs. Their professionalism and technical knowledge differentiated them from their competitors. The client looks forward to working with them again in the future.

Media Driver provides consulting services, and we have a web-based management tool for enterprise middleware application systems. My position is one of the co-founders and I head up the technical practice.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We approached them about modernizing the UI [user interface] and some of the UX [user experience] aspects of our middleware management application. We were releasing a v3.0 that had a lot of new features, and we wanted to just modernize our UI look and feel as well as address some UX challenges we had. Also, we had a deadline for a conference. We wanted the new look in time for a conference that was just a few weeks out when we approached Slide UX.

When we met with them, we asked to understand their approach. They shared how they work and their service offerings. We wanted to line that up with what we needed and then also manage that against our short timeframe. We were just really happy with the way that all came together.

They started off by providing us a number of UI look and feel options, and then we went through a process of reviewing the UI components within our application. We picked the top UI components that we needed them to help address from a design perspective, and then we went through multiple iterations where they would deliver us first just the design, look, and feel. We were able to go and start applying that from a developer perspective, applying a content style, colors, spacing, and just some of the basic structural things. Then, as they completed different UI components, we would review them, go through a feedback loop where we would work with them to address things based on how we thought users were using it, and just have a real constructive dialogue back and forth with their experts on what they felt worked really well with their understanding users and then complemented that with how we understood users used our application, which has a very technical nature. There’s just a lot of information and data on the screen, and so they were really helpful with us to accommodate these uncommon UI/UX challenges.

We worked in an iterative model, and they would deliver a number of UI components. We would start working them into our application, and it worked out really well that way because we were able to provide feedback that informed the phase two and phase three of the additional UI components that they needed. We were able to make our deadline for the conference, and it was really well received. I couldn’t be happier with the way it went.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

We did some research. We were based in Austin as well, and we wanted somebody local because we felt like for this initial read, we wanted to have some insight meetings. We researched top rated UI/UX groups within the area. Part of the evaluation process was that we screened and asked them to pitch how they operated, budgeted, and ran projects, and felt like Slide UX just had the most professional approach, met our budget, and was also available to work within our timeframe. From that perspective, it worked out really well.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

We have spent $10,000 to $50,000.

May 2016 – June 2016.

From a metrics perspective, the number one was that they met the timeline. Two: they met the budget. Three: they delivered the quality we were looking for in the components. In UI, you might have a table or a little panel or detail view; these kinds of things that we called components. They were able to provide a new and modern look and feel for every component that we gave them. We didn’t present them a design challenge they couldn’t solve. Those are my big three: timing, cost, and delivery. In my mind, they really hit it out of the park.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

I thought it was good. They provided us a dedicated resource to track the tasks and help coordinate meetings. We had a couple of in-person meetings. We had the meetings where they would deliver us the screens and the component looks, and we’d have review sessions. They provided us follow-up as well as budget and hours tracking, so I thought they performed well from a project management perspective.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

I think the main thing that really distinguished them was when we were doing our initial evaluation, just the professional approach they had to it. Being in the creative space, sometimes that’s not married up with the business and the professional side of things, so we were just really pleased with how they made it a package. The delivery of the whole solution was packaged from project management, cost management, timing, all that kind of stuff, in addition to the great creative work they did. Just making it a really professional experience from their end, I felt really differentiated from the other folks we were talking to. That was our big deciding factor to go with them, and then they were able to deliver on it.

They’ve got excellent UI and UX talent that’s very knowledgeable in the space and understands the technical challenge. It’s one thing for a designer to come up with a good design, but to also be aware of the needs of the developer and how to make it technically plug into an application, was one of the things that we really needed. We couldn’t just have a really pretty picture if it wasn’t something that we could technically make work in an application; it wasn’t going to work for us.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

I don’t think so. We communicated really well. Whenever we had questions, they were very responsive. It was just well done. The other side of our business is services, so we’re delivering similar technical services to other companies but not in the creative space. We’re pretty critical because we know how critical we are to ourselves, and there really just wasn’t anything that stood out to me that I feel like I wanted them to do differently. We’re looking to do more work with them as we add new features.

They met all of our deadlines. We had a really aggressive schedule for our conference, so we needed them to be done a number of weeks before the conference so we could do the technical work. They were able to meet our time requirements.
    We knew they were a little bit more expensive than other agencies, but I think we knew we wanted to pay a little bit more to get everything we wanted in the time we wanted. There was value in how they executed the project.
    They were able to bridge the gap between really pretty designs and make it technically work within the limitations of building web applications.
    Very likely. We had a number of things that went back to them for making updates and changes; they were able to make all that.

User Research for Client of Advertising Agency

"Their [Slide UX] project management was excellent and they were incredibly flexible."

June - Sept. 2016

The client needed to migrate content and optimize the user experience of a website. Slide UX conducted user testing, created a guide, worked on a prototype and delivered a report.

Carol Gibson
Interactive Producer, Sherry Matthews

Slide UX demonstrated strong project management skills, was easy to communicate with, and were solution-oriented. They were very professional and approachable throughout the project.

Sherry Matthews Inc. is an advertising and marketing agency. I am the senior interactive producer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We were doing content migration to an umbrella site for our client. Our main challenge was making sure that we were incorporating content in a way that made sense. It should still be easy for users to find and access content.

Slide UX helped us identify the type of UX testing that we needed to do. There are a number of different ways to do UX testing: moderated and unmoderated. Once we settled on that, they created a guide. They also worked on a prototype to use as the testing stimuli. They conducted the tests and provided a pretty comprehensive report afterward.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

They were recommended to me by one of my co-workers. I wanted to open up our pool of resources. We do have other partners who would’ve also done a great job, but we took a chance with Slide UX.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

We spent $48,500 in total. That included a change order, too.

The engagement ended a couple of weeks ago and lasted for about 2 ½ months. It was meant to be a 1-month project, but we had a bit of a moving target so ended up extending the deadline. Slide UX worked with us as the project evolved and our client changed the scope.

I don’t have metrics because it’s more of a content thing, but the client was very pleased. It was nice to know that the client was receptive to their feedback. Most of my suspicions were validated, so that felt good to me. The changes Slide UX recommended were achievable. They emphasized the things that could be done instead of proposing that they completely redo things. Slide UX worked with what we had, which was a much more appealing option.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management was excellent and they were incredibly flexible. Slide UX followed up and arranged timelines well. This was very clear when we had to make changes in the order. They knew why we had to do it and what those changes entailed. They were very solution-oriented. Each time we encountered an obstacle, Slide UX would provide solutions, usually by letting us choose between 2 options.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

I felt they explained their reasoning for recommendations really well. Even a layperson like our client could follow their reasoning. They spelled out why a choice would be more appealing to users or why a certain change would be more effective. I thought that was great. I also found that their style and delivery was professional without being cold. They’re really easy to work with and to talk to. I’m fortunate that we have really good providers.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

Our client had very specific needs. There was one point where Slide UX would charge forward on something and I had to say, “No, we need to do it this way. Look, I know that a lot of your clients do it this way, but we have these restrictions.” I felt like I had to hammer that into them a bit harder. For example, we had to use certain words for legal reasons. I just can’t make content changes willy-nilly, so I had to ask them to redo some of their work.

I know there was one point where there was a little miscommunication. I wanted to have a call to let them know about the type of users they were going to have. Again, they needed to watch out for some user traits and situations that we had run into in the past. We didn’t have that kickoff. I don’t know if I made my request clear that I wanted to have a call. The call didn’t happen, but everything still worked out okay. We’re really talking about the difference between an A-plus and an A here.

Overall Score They were responsive. They were so solution-oriented. We threw so many challenges at them, and they just ducked and weaved and made it happen. They deserve a 5.
    They were excellent, and they stuck to what they suggested.
    It was fine. They’re not inexpensive, but they’re not overly expensive.
    Particularly in the presentation, it was just very clear, very easy for a layperson. It didn’t go too technical, but I felt like if I wanted them to go technical, they could. It was very complete.
    Definitely.

UX Design for Advertising Agency

"They not only kept to our timelines and our budget, they went the extra mile and provided great recommendations."

Oct. 2015 - May 2016

Slide UX was hired to update the design and user experience of the client's customer-facing dashboard. They were involved in the strategy phase and provided wireframes for the development team.

Portland, Oregon
Project Manager, Advertising Agency

The client is pleased with the outcome of the designs and appreciated Slide UX's recommendations throughout the engagement. They were accessible and stayed within budget and timelines.

I am a technical project manager of an advertising agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We were working on a project to upgrade our client-facing results dashboard. It’s a web-based application that hooks into a proprietary database. Not only did we want a design refresh, we wanted to take a fresh look at how we were displaying data to our users.

Slide UX provided user experience design and best practices related to data visualization. They provided input about the best way and level of granularity for giving people data. We also determined the default and how deep we should go from both a performance and usability standpoint. This was external-facing in the sense that our clients log onto our platform. However, it is not consumer-facing because it’s not a product that is sold to the public. Slide UX was incredibly involved from the very beginning of the project. They were involved in the overall strategy, wireframes, design, and the hand-off for development. Another company took over the development phase.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

Someone in our company had previously worked with Erin Young at Slide UX. That’s how we heard about them. She’d had a good experience with Erin before so we brought this project to them. We’re pleased with the outcome.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

We have spent $10,000 to $50,000 on this project.

The project lasted from October 2015 through May 2016.

I don’t have any metrics. I have nothing that’s measurable from a wireframe and a design. All I have are anecdotal comments internally as well as feedback from clients who have used the new dashboard. Everyone’s very impressed by the design.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent and they met all of their deadlines. The project came in on time and on budget. They helped us lay out a schedule and then we just kept to it. It was a small enough project that they basically connected us directly to the UX designer who did the visual design and the user experience. We basically worked directly with him. Slide UX did assign someone to our account and that person probably worked in the background. I’m sure they were helping maintain the workflow on their side, which shows by their ability to meet the target dates and costs. I have no complaints about their accessibility. I felt like I was always able to get a hold of somebody in a timely manner about a question.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

Slide UX came in and served as a real partner for us on this project. I’ve worked with a lot of companies where you engage with someone and then they strictly take your requirements and run with them. While that’s fine, sometimes we were in a position where we were looking for someone to advise us on best practices of data visualization. Because of that, we needed somebody who was going to take our requirements and knew how to make them even better. Slide UX was willing to introduce things that we had not thought of. I feel like they went above and beyond. They not only kept to our timelines and our budget, they went the extra mile and provided great recommendations. The care and detail with which they executed the work were just amazing. It made it so much easier to hand it off to development because we didn’t have to pick up any slack in between. They were really good and I liked them.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

Not really. There’s always something that could be done better in every circumstance. They introduced a bunch of new platforms to us for reviewing the designs. I guess the only thing I would say is handing out a package to give to everybody involved would probably have been good. That way, we would have all the information about where to go and get the assets when the project was wrapped.

Overall Score It was wonderful and a pleasure to work with them. Everyone was very easy to work with. They were super reliable, did a great job, and viewed the project as though it was their own.
    They were within the range of a couple other estimates I got. We chose them not because they were cheaper but because we had a personal contact that could vouch for the quality of the work.
    I felt like everything was excellent. I really had no complaints.
    I would very likely recommend them.

UX Design for Security Company

"From the minute we first sat down with them [Slide UX], they were real people trying to solve our problems."

Aug. 2015 - Feb. 2016

The client hired Slide UX to streamline their highly technical platform. They provided user personas, information architecture mapping, wireframes, and a new design.

Mike Hamilton
SVP Product, Ziften Technologies

A customer panel unanimously chose the client's new design over their competitors' in a side by side comparison. The client was impressed by Slide UX's organization and personal attention.

I’m the SVP of products for Ziften. We provide endpoint protection and visibility for laptops, desktops, and servers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

Our business is highly technical and there's a lot of acronyms. It’s a difficult market to understand and it’s hard to know what the users are doing. Our customers face the usual challenges of being overworked and underpaid. They have too much work to do and too many things to look at. What we needed was a better understanding of how to streamline their day-to-day workflow. A lot of our customers have multiple tools, not necessarily just ours, and they have to move back and forth among these different tools. They have to get information out of our product as fast as possible so they can move on to the next task.

Slide UX spent a lot of time with us to understand what our product does and how it looks. The first thing we did was go through our customer and user personas. They have different job functions. Slide UX spent time learning about our space in endpoint security and network security. They did a ton of research on what incident response was as well as security operations. Slide UX came back with one of the user personas and what their day-to-day jobs look like. Based on that persona, they did a full information architecture mapping on the existing product. Then they started to talk about the ideal workflows through the product. They obviously spent a lot of time with us going through that. They went through the wireframing of what the new pages would look like, a totally new information architecture. We went through an extensive wireframe review mock-up and gave our comments.

Slide UX then came up with mock-ups of the actual design along with a color scheme. They put together an interactive, clickable demo which we presented to selected customers. We ended up doing 6 customer interviews that lasted for 1 hour each. Many of the customers got so excited that they went way over the time limit. Based on their feedback, Slide UX put together extensive notes about the design and how it worked with our clients’ daily jobs. In turn, we gave another round of recommendations for modifying the workflows, wireframes, and layout. Their findings influenced our design when we started rebuilding our product.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

Initially, we found 10 or 12 companies that had portfolios that were relevant to what we did and fit our requirements. Then I interviewed 8 or 9 and got formal proposals from about 5 of them. We chose Slide UX based on our budget and the fact that they were in Austin, which was convenient for me. When I met them in person, I sort of fell in love with Erin and her team. I felt like they could take care of us. That’s how we ended up working with Slide UX.

How much have you invested with Slide UX?

To give you a ballpark figure, we spent about $75,000 on this project.

We really started about August of last year and the project ended in February. About 97% of that time was spent waiting for me and my team. Officially, we scoped it on an hourly perspective. It was a 3-month project that stretched out to 6 or 7 just because of other things our team had going on. There are a couple of projects we’ll be working on in the next 6 months. I’ve got a limited budget and when those projects push through, we will go right back to Slide UX.

The biggest tangible proof was the customer interviews we did at the very end. We wanted to get an idea of how our customers perceived us with respect to our competitors. At the very end, Slide UX  did quick visual comparisons of the new version of our product with the UI/UX redo versus our competitors. They were compared based on these questions: “What’s the most visually appealing? Which one looks the most professional? Which one looks like a company you’d want to do business with?” Ultimately, we wanted to know which product the clients would want to invest your money in. Of the 6 or 7 customer reviews we did, every single one of them rated their work above all of our competitors. Frankly, that’s the only thing I care about. That was our metric. We also tracked the number of clicks, but that’s a bad comparison. Our previous UI was so terrible they would have looked stellar regardless. That’s the best answer I can give you.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

Slide UX gave us constant updates and they were sensitive to the budget. They kept me informed about what they were doing behind the scenes. I also knew how that was coming out of the original hour estimates, thanks to their updated Gantt chart. As a product manager, you would think I would like that, but for some reason, I hate Gantt charts. They kept me well apprised of everything and were always on top of it. I thought they did a fantastic job.

What did you find most impressive about Slide UX?

From the minute we first sat down with them, they were real people trying to solve our problems. Location was certainly a factor for me. There were a couple of firms in Austin that were larger and had a big budget and all that. Slide UX made me feel like I mattered to them even at my tiny, “barely pay half of one person’s salary for a year” project. I felt just as important as their bigger customers. They treated me like I actually mattered even when I really don’t in the grand scheme of things.

Are there any areas Slide UX could improve?

I’m sure there are probably some but that would be nitpicking. I’m not sure I could think of any off the top of my head.

UX Consulting for St. Edward's University

"They're a small team with big results and big ideas."

Slide UX provided several UX solutions and recommendations for the client's site, in areas such as global considerations, high priority considerations, and design.

Rick Ramos
Creative Director & Brand Manager, St. Edward's University

The client is still implementing Slide UX's recommendations, but was very pleased with the partnership. Slide UX was adaptable, easy to work with, and extremely knowledgeable about their specialty.

The organization is St. Edward’s University in Austin.

I am the Creative Director and Brand Manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Slide UX?

We launched a new, responsive website in August of 2015, which is a combination of three of our older sites. Since our new website was attracting a different audience, we knew we needed to rethink the navigation and content on the pages. After a few months of living with the new site and working with the content, our team was running into a few user experience challenges. In looking at the analytics, we could see that our users were also having difficulty finding information, and they weren’t experiencing the site in a way that was beneficial for conversion. Our end goal is all about getting users to apply, schedule a visit, or request more information.

My Assistant Vice President and I took it upon ourselves to find an agency that we could partner with for a very brief time to identify the areas that were a challenge for users and make recommendations.

We only worked with Slide UX for a few weeks. They looked at our site and came back in about three weeks with global considerations and high priority considerations, as well as some areas that we should look at where users may be frustrated by the design. From the beginning, we didn’t share too much information with them because we wanted to see if they were reaching the same conclusions that we were, and we were pleased to find that they did. The recommendations they brought back were very specific and helpful for the user path, and more specifically for navigation on mobile devices. They were ordered in terms of prioritization and accompanied by clear next steps that we should take.

How did you come to work with Slide UX?

We were looking for someone that was local to Austin and knew St. Edward’s University and brand. We looked at a couple of agencies here in town, but I liked that Slide UX was a smaller team. We knew that we wanted something done very quickly and we wanted to be able to meet face to face. We needed an agile team that could really be an addition to our staff for a short time.

Total spend was under $10,000.

The engagement lasted about five weeks in early 2016.

We are still implementing Slide UX’s recommendations among our team of 20. Our first set of changes will be completed within the next couple of weeks, and we expect to have results by August.

How did Slide UX perform from a project management standpoint?

Once I talked with Erin [Principal of Slide UX] and a few of her team members, I could tell that they understood what we were trying to accomplish and what was important to us. They were very well-versed, easy to work with, and adaptable to our tight timeframe. They even taught some people here about user experience, which was helpful.

Our audiences can vary greatly, from 16 and 17 year olds in high school looking for a university, to their parents, to grad students, and returning adult students. It was important for us to be able to make improvements that would affect all of our users. Erin and her team provided us with results and action items that we could use right away.

What distinguishes Slide UX from other providers?

Even though Erin and her team knew going into this that it was going to be a very short project, they still brought back presentations and results that were representative of a larger scale project. They’re just that type of team that delivers to the best of their abilities no matter the size of the project. Other agencies I’ve worked with will make something feel small budget and quick if they know I have a small budget and short timeline. By no means do I feel that Slide UX did that. They provided recommendations in the areas that they saw opportunities, not only where we asked them to look.

As I’ve recommended them to others, I say that they’re a small team with big results and big ideas. They are always willing to have an additional conversation on the phone or via email, and they always go the extra mile. I’ve gotten the same feeling from Erin and the three or four other people on her team that I’ve interacted with. User experience is Slide UX's thing, and they really do make it a priority to get the results that their clients are hoping for.

Is there anything Slide UX could have improved or done differently?

No, I felt like even before our initial meeting, they had done their research. They knew who we were and spent time on our site finding out about St. Edward’s University and how we differ. They came prepared and ready to make things happen.

Overall Score – We’re looking forward to opportunities in the future when we can work with them again.
    – They met every one of their deadlines.
    – We got even more than we had expected.
    – I can’t think of anything they could improve on. They exceeded our expectations.
    – I already have recommended them.