A Research-Based Creative Studio

WATSON CREATIVE, founded in 2008, is a Brand Strategy, Design and Digital Agency based in Portland. Our headquarters is nestled between the Pacific Ocean, the Columbia Gorge, some national forests, as well as a few volcanoes. Portland is the perfect catalyst for creativity and mischief; it’s a place to stretch our legs and develop original, evolving, and meaningful solutions for our clients.

2008
Portland, OR

New York Yankees Image

New York Yankees

When the New York Yankees, a storied team with a storied brand, needed a strategy to deepen and expand their already impressive fanbase, they turned to Watson Creative and our subsidiary Motiv8. This combination allowed the New York Yankees to leverage dynamic ‘shared’ storytelling and one of the most powerful motivation platforms on the market, engaging fans at every consumer touchpoint.We learned early on that fans very much

wanted to be part of something bigger than themselves, that they placed high value in being an “insider” and wanted a chance to demonstrate their dedication to the team. The result? Watson Creative created Legacy Club Rewards, a powerful, multi-tiered club experience for season ticket holders and loyal fans. With integrations directly into Yankee Stadium’s gates and point-of-sale systems, Watson created a fully-adaptable ecosystem, driving deep connections, immersive participation, and rewarding relationships.The team gained the ability to track and incentivize any number of high-value activities, from simple surveys to social behaviors to concession purchases to donating seats to charity. One of the highest value activities came in the form of issuing points for early attendance, a behavior that has driven a nearly 90% increase in early food and beverage purchases for other Watson clients.

How do you rebrand a 140 year old family business?

Carefully. We approached this project with a clear vision and one priority: don’t mess it up. The Chown family has been around since Portland was an upstart new city in the Pacific Northwest and our task was to revitalize the brand, highlight its strengths and tell a story that defined the company, its history and its future.

Taking the

Chown team through our Brand360 strategy sessions, one thing became clear: The legacy of Chown matriarch Eleanor Chown is what inspired and built the company as it is today. We went back and built that story from the ground up, highlighting the moments along the way that created the vibrant, modern Chown Hardware of today.
Washington County Sheriff's Office  Image

Washington County Sheriff's Office

WCSO came to Watson at a critical junction in time when over half of its force was at or near the age of retirement. This meant that recruitment was crucial to the continued expansion of the force serving Washington County in Oregon. Their previous site was complex and problematic with too much information. They needed a recruitment website that would attract new talent to the force.Our approach to creating an optimized website

first involved strategy workshop sessions to better understand the client. From there we were able to learn how to position WCSO as the premier law enforcement agency for prospective deputies in the NW and beyond. The Watson team employed captivating HD photography, dramatic color, and bold design to accomplish this.

As Kaiser Permanente expands its dental division into the largest dental service in the nation, they’ve partnered up with Watson Creative to solidify their brand strategy and content creation. Together we’ve created the ongoing animated series, “Thriving Heights.” From concept to script, original animation and custom music, the Watson team has brought a unique and creative approach to dental explainer videos, establishing

Kaiser Permanente Dental as a bold thought leader in their field.

But the characters of “Thriving Heights” didn’t stay in just dental for long — they made appearances in collateral displayed at the Portland Parkways and other community events and also branched off to other areas of Kaiser Permanente.

KingPins

In preparation for the grand opening of KingPins’ Beaverton location, Watson was tasked to design and build a new website to elevate the brand. Watson’s goal was to raise awareness of KingPins’ new state-of-the-art facility while driving audiences to the new website.

With polished and consistent branding, Watson was able to produce content that told the story of the transition of the beloved Sunset Lanes to

the grand opening of KingPins Beaverton. “Watson Creative is the single most important reason KingPins has been able to develop brand identity in our community in such a short period,” said KingPins proprietor, Tom Burke. “Their team brings expertise and passion that is so important to succeed in our industry. The KingPins grand opening event was a culmination of their hard work and they did not disappoint.”

After the success of their grand opening, KingPins’ next goal was to increase their email subscribers and Facebook followers. Watson deployed targeted Facebook ads incentivizing users to sign up for KingPins’ newsletter with an assortment of prizes. Watson began a Facebook “like” campaign targeted to their desired audience. Watson secured 113% over the desired newsletter subscribers goal, and 234% growth of Facebook likes. During these campaigns, KingPins’ averaged 4X the web traffic and users spent 74% more time on the website compared to data from 2018. Overall, both campaigns proved wildly successful, surpassing KingPins’ goals and securing them a wider audience to disseminate their messaging.

Slice of a City Image

Slice of a City

How do you fit a city in a box? Slice of a City was a new venture long-imagined by founder Carrie Young. A perfect gift for newcomers and natives alike, the inaugural box from Portland would feature curated items that encapsulates the culture of the Rose City. The launch of the new brand would require a comprehensive design from the ground up.

When launching a new brand, it’s important to lay the groundwork

for how it will be portrayed from the beginning. The Watson team orchestrated thorough brand strategy workshops to lock down Slice of a City’s identity. We conducted a full competitor analysis and identified target consumers as we began the design process.

The brand design needed to be fresh and modern to fit with the look and feel of future city boxes outside of Portland. We created a simple, overarching umbrella brand with sub-brands for each city that had a consistent look and feel, yet enough flexibility to ensure that each city was unique. The products in each box would embody three categories: Explore, Taste, Appreciate.

Slice of a City’s website launched in March of 2019. Within a few months, the Portland boxes were sold out. The success of the first Slice of a City box has paved the way for a successful future for the new brand beyond the Rose City. It’s not only a gift, it’s an adventure.

Website Design for Independent Business Consultant

"They hire talented people and get out their way, they let them do their work."

Mar. - Jun. 2015

Watson Creative designed and developed a WordPress website and provided branding including logo and business card design.

Jeff VandenHoek
Business Consultant, Intentionality

Users have praised the site for its visual design and intuitive navigation. Watson Creative provided attentive customer service. Their resources excel at working independently and aligning with client interests.

I’m self-employed, and my company does business consulting, leadership, and team development coaching.

As a disclaimer, I’m now providing Watson Creative with consulting services as they grow their team including coaching some of their executive leaders.

What challenge were you trying to address with Watson Creative?

We needed to build a website.

I think it’s a WordPress site, and it looks great. The process was very collaborative. The designer I was assigned was very responsive and professional. I had ideas, flavors, photos that I had envisioned. This was the first business I’d started on my own, so I needed that web development expertise. They asked a lot of good questions to guide us on what would work best for me. They didn’t push a template on me, which I really appreciated.

They also created business cards and a logo for me.

I worked with a designer, as well as the resource who did the backend. He helped me do some things where I could make a few changes myself.

How did you come to work with Watson Creative?

I know Matt (Founder, Watson Creative) from our time at the same university. He worked there, and I attended the school.

I spent around $10,000 with them.

We worked together from March until June 2015. I’m now in talks with them to trade services; I’ll offer them something and they’ll create a video for me for the website.

Satisfaction has been great. People have responded well to the site, saying it’s informative and attractive. They built in some information about me as well that tells my customers about my personality. The navigation is very smooth

How did Watson Creative perform from a project management standpoint?

The owner is great to work with. Through my relationship and reaching out to him, he partnered me with the right person to ensure there was good alignment from the beginning. They’re very collaborative as a small studio, which gets things done quickly. They stayed very engaged with me as a client to see how things were going. Project management was very good.

If I had to choose an agency in Portland, they’re one of the top ones for small designs firms. They’ve hired talented people and get out their way, they let them do their work.

They may not have communicated as well back in 2015 as they do now. The communication was good, but it could always be better.

Be transparent. Go in with your ideas and work with Watson. Be open to not being the expert. They’re a top-notch agency to collaborate with.

Teaching & Consulting for University Design Program

"I can attest not only to Matt's critical design thinking and problem-solving ability but also to his character."

Sept. 2008 - Ongoing

As part of an advisory board, Watson Creative contributes external consulting services to the design program at a business school. They mentor students for the workforce and advise faculty members.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Corvallis, Oregon
Andrea Marks
Design Management Professor, Oregon State University

Students are better informed about their prospects after meeting with the Watson Creative team. Being an alumnus himself, the CEO is committed to teaching and inspiring students at his alma matter, even hiring graduates.

I am a professor at Oregon State University in Design & Innovation Management. Matt Watson was a student of mine in the Graphic Design Program.

For what projects/services did your company hire Watson Creative?

Matt has been consulting with our design programs for the past 10+ years.

To have successful and influential alumni advise and mentor our faculty and students.

Matt Watson is an Oregon State alumni.

Matt sits on our Advisory Board for the Design Programs in the College of Business at OSU and also mentors students and hires our graduates.

Our students are much better informed after visiting Watson Creative and talking to Matt and his team at Watson Creative.

Excellent.

I have known Matt since he was an undergraduate student at Oregon State University in the graphic design program. Over the past 25 years, I’ve followed Matt’s post-graduate journey, starting at Lippincott in New York, moving to Nike, and finally starting his own agency, Watson Creative in Portland.

Over that time he has remained dedicated to his alma mater by teaching and inspiring students, working on our Advisory Board and hiring dozens of OSU grads. I can attest not only to Matt's critical design thinking and problem-solving ability but also to his character and to the people he hires.

I have enjoyed getting to know the team at Watson Creative and I highly recommend them.

None.

Overall Score A very high quality business all around.
    Matt and his team always make time to discuss with clients.
    Competitive with other high end agencies.
    All around excellent company in every way. Extremely creative and innovative.
    I have recommended Watson Creative to people over the years.

Brand Strategy & Design for Athletic Consulting Project

"They’re very responsive and open to dialogue."

Aug. 2019 - Ongoing

Watson Creative assisted with developing a brand identity. They provided design and marketing services, including graphics and copywriting.

Aaron Miller
Founder, Alpha Collective

The team at Watson Creative is thorough in its process and provides unique insight. They were responsive and easy to communicate with. Customers can expect creativity and strong organizational skills.

I’m the founder of my own consulting firms that is geared towards working with business executives.

What challenge were you trying to address with Watson Creative?

We wanted assistance with branding for a new business.

They assisted with brand strategy and design services. This included deck building, website design, graphics, and copywriting.

Matt (CEO & Executive Creative Director) is my main point of contact, but I also worked with Ian (VP of Communications).

How did you come to work with Watson Creative?

Matt was a former coworker of mine when we worked at Nike. We got together to discuss our new ventures, and I realized he would be a great fit for the project.

We’ve invested a bit less than $10,000 so far.

We started working together in August 2019, and the engagement is ongoing.

We haven’t launched the new brand yet. However, Matt has done a good job and been consistent with his point of view. He has a clear view of what the project will look like. His advice has helped move the project forward.

How did Watson Creative perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very responsive and open to dialogue. Even though the team is busy, they’ve remained easy to get in touch with.

Matt is a very stoic strategist. He thinks about the big picture and is creative in his work. He brings about a lot of unique ideas that I may not have considered.

I can’t say anything negative. Their business is growing and figuring out how to manage their workflow, but they’re doing a good job.

Be open to the strategies and ideas that they might bring.

Brand Dev for Consumer Electronics Company

"Their spirit to do it right and their passion for branding stood out."

Jan. 2018 - Mar. 2019

Watson Creative provided video production services along with graphic design with the aim of enhancing corporate and product brand identity. The content was distributed at trade shows along with other channels.

Loren Shaw
VP Marketing, InFocus

The brand material enhanced awareness among important partners, increasing the company's market share. Engagement with marketing emails also increased. The team worked hard to achieve anything stakeholders asked of them, and they maintained an efficient task management style.

VP of Marketing for one of Oregon’s 50 largest businesses,.

For what projects/services did your company hire Watson Creative?

Brand development, video production, graphic design.

Enhanced brand image. Ability to stand out in a crowd of competitors.

Based on trial of smaller projects. Communication, design competence, marketing acumen, brand understanding.

Multiple corporate and product brand development programs. Development of a strategy and related array of branded content for trade shows, web and other channels focused on building recognition and leadership position within industry and categories.

Account manager, videographer, junior and senior designers, digital experts, and Matt Watson himself.

High visibility to key partners. Increased email marketing open rates. Marketshare increase.

Efficient with a whatever it takes attitude.

Their spirit to do it right and their passion for branding stood out.

Communication for all sides can never be perfect, but they don't mind listening more if needed.

Branding & Website Design for Architecture Firm

"It’s because of them that our culture and brand are communicated the way we envisioned."

Apr. - Dec. 2015

Watson Creative ushered an architecture firm through a rebranding venture, helping the internal staff define their voice. They then conveyed that identity through a newly designed website.

James Lee
Former Marketing Director, Scott Edwards Architecture

Internal stakeholders lauded the website as a huge improvement, and it has aged well. Watson Creative was effective in overcoming setbacks during a transitional period for the client. But their commitment to and passion for the project ensured success.

At the time I worked with Watson I was the Marketing Director at Scott Edwards Architecture

For what projects/services did your company hire Watson Creative?

We hired Watson to take us through a branding exercise and design us a new website.

Our firm had recently undergone its first ownership transition. One founding partner had stepped down and five had stepped up to take the reigns with the remaining founding partner. Our vision remained the same, and we were excited to learn how our voice had changed and how we wanted to reemerge to the world with a refreshed brand illustrated through a new website.

We polled our peers and interviewed several well respected firms.

Once we selected Watson we had a kickoff meeting that led to several intensive workshops where the 13 person management team worked to distill who we were as a firm, our voice and how that would translate into our website. A smaller web design team then met with Watson weekly to work through the design details of the website through rollout.

Initially it was the 13 person management team from SEA and a team of 4 from Watson, including Matt Watson. Then as we figured out the higher-level branding and visioning the team became myself working directly with the Watson team and reporting progress back to the 6 person SEA ownership team.

The website was a huge improvement. And the process that we took to get there helped us come together as an organization at a time of transition. It has been 5+ years now and the website has held up well and we couldn't be more proud of it.

The workflow was very effective. We had obstacles and setbacks like any team, with staff turnover, trouble making decisions on the ownership side, etc. But we worked through them all with clear communication and a shared commitment excellence.

Matt and his team partnered with our architectural firm over 5 years ago and since then we’ve watched Watson become a trusted name in the AEC industry. I can clearly remember the passion behind Watson’s work and the expertise brought to every task – it’s because of them that our culture and brand are communicated the way we envisioned.

I was recently back at the Watson studio and was very impressed with the culture and the team/family environment. They’re just as kind and welcoming as they are talented!

The team was exceptional. I would work with them again and have remained friends with Matt over the years. The firm he has continued to build is exceptional.