Smart Design. Quality Research. Forward-Thinking.

We build custom WordPress websites that are responsive, clean, modern, and user focused. A web design project is broken up into four phases - strategy, design, development, and training. At Sayenko Design, our web design workflow typically follows a set series of processes:

1. Defined Business Objective

• Sayenko Design
    9757 NE Juanita Dr # 100
    Kirkland, WA 98034
    425.445.7111

LinkedIn, Brooks Running, Invention Development Fund at Intellectual Ventures, University of Washington, Bellevue College, and many more.

WordPress Design for Local Telecommunications Company

"They acknowledge phone calls and emails right away and were honest about when they could do something."

July 2015 - Ongoing

Sayenko redesigned a website, conducted market research, and helped create a digital strategy. They put a focus on user friendliness, mobile responsiveness and simplicity.

Brewster, Washington
John Whiteley
Senior Advisor, US Electrodynamics Inc.

Sayenko is a dynamic and flexible team. They can deliver under pressure, and their website has garnered positive feedback from the industry and customers. Their plan and communication is reliable and transparent, and though some minor mistakes appeared, they’re responsible and attentive to feedback.

US Electrodynamics Inc. is a unique service provider of satellite communications headquartered in Brewster, Washington. We provide B2B satellite and fiber connectivity so our users and customers can best service their consumer customers or government customers. I’m the senior advisor to the CEO and also a director on his board. I oversee the operations from a top level in strategy planning for the future and interfacing with customers. I review and provide assistance on our proposals to customers, review contractual agreements and oversee the company’s financial operations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

There aren’t a lot of other service providers like us, but the ones that are around are usually well-established and have significant websites. We had a website that was getting very old and needed to be revamped to meet the challenges going forward. Our users and customers are other businesses.

Since we are unique, it’s hard to understand what we do. They educated themselves on who we are, what we do, and what our objectives were. They asked us pointed questions and showed us some concepts and their ideas. They blended in their experience with other service provider companies that they’ve done website work for. We went through the process of several concepts and drafts and worked together to make the project mature. The website was a redesign but we wanted to carry on some of the attributes that we already had in our old website. Sayenko went to some of our major customers to make sure our message was supported and in concert with the messages on their website.

We did a lot of initial work and then I needed to provide a lot of content for the site. I was overcome by other priorities and slowed the project down. We did a few things with the site in the winter of 2016, and had a draft website. It wasn’t until January 2017 that our company provided me some additional help to keep the project moving forward. We let Sayenko know that our goal was to launch the website before a conference that we were attending in early March. We got to work and were able to launch in February. They host the site and take care of our security. They also helped train a new business development person that came onboard in-house. Mike trained us to be able to do some small things on the website ourselves including updating names, changing phone numbers, etc.

What are some of the updated features of the site?

We wanted the site to be fresh and uncomplicated. We wanted the right balance of color, user friendliness, and mobile friendliness, which our previous site was not. We had a very poor “Contact Us” page and they came up with a new one. When you first enter the website, there’s a fly-in of satellite dishes and our primary headquarters site, which gave the site some animation without overdoing it. I came in with some examples of other company’s sites that do the same thing we do. We went through what we liked about theirs and what we didn’t like. We took the best of the best websites.

How many resources have been assigned to your project?

They made reference to two other individuals that did some of the work, but I never personally met them.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I did a Google search for a local small website business. I looked at some of the work they’d done and met with the principal owner, and we hit it off. I wasn’t considering other providers.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We’ve spent between $5,000 and $10,000 with them. That includes the site, the research, hosting, and the retainer.

We started working with them in July 2015, and the site was launched in February 2017. The work is still ongoing. We keep them on a retainer so that if we need to change something, we can email or call them to get it done.

Everyone that we work with in the industry has seen the site, and we’ve gotten positive feedback. Our owner has a lot of close friends in the industry and they’ve commented on the site.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They are outstanding. We communicated through email and phone. We had two in-person working sessions which really helped understand who we were working with and gave us live feedback. It was clear where we were going with the project.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

They are customer-focused. They acknowledge phone calls and emails right away and were honest about when they could do something. We’re a small business too, so I respect that. Sometimes you just can’t do everything at the same time. They prioritized what we needed to have updated or changed. We worked together to make the deadline knowing that we could still make improvements after the site went live.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

Nothing goes completely perfectly. For corrections and updates, we thought we were pretty clear with them about what the words had to be and what it should look like. A couple of times, it didn’t come through that way. The communication was good, and they were open to our feedback.

WordPress Website for Children's Education Company

"The site is designed really well, and it’s beautiful to look at, which was important to me."

Sayenko Design provided web updates and SEO services to improve brand presence and convey a more professional look and feel, incorporating vibrant graphics and an attractive UX/UI.

Woodinville, Washington
Susan Naranjo
Founder, Grasshopper Enrichment

The new site has achieved higher Google rankings and attracted more visitors, many of whom praise its easy navigation and informative content. Sayenko Design’s proactive scheduling, creative vision, and personal investment in the engagement’s success left a favorable impression.

I’m the founder and director of Grasshopper Enrichment Education, which provides classes, workshops, and camps for elementary-age kids that are focused on empowering life tools. Our classes teach kids the skills that give them added opportunities in life and will help them stand out from the crowd such as public speaking, debate, leadership, manners, written communication, and science.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I had a website already, but it was outdated (mostly because I had insisted on certain design elements which I shouldn’t have). I wanted to completely redesign the website and work on the SEO but didn’t know how to do that myself.

We met with Mike [Founder, Sayenko Design] and showed him what we had. He asked about our company and what we wanted to figure out what needed to be done. He was very personal and professional in focusing on our needs and strategizing how to improve our brand. He put together some ideas of what the site would look like and made suggestions, even changing our logo slightly to make it better. He showed us options of the layout and kept in touch with us as he was making changes.

He asked us to write some of the text, which he changed to make it work better for SEO. We have banners, an email newsletter, contact page, registration forms, and a blog. We don’t run any processing through our website because we knew that would cost more. We have links to take us to those places. I love the way he did the pictures on our site. He changed the background and added some fun elements behind the images.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I met Mike at a BNI meeting. I was there as a guest, and he spoke. What he was saying struck me, and I knew I needed to talk to him.Sayenko Design's art background and previous work, along with their presentation and price seemed like a good fit.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We spent $5,000 on the site and SEO.

Our site has been up for 3 years. We haven’t done much with it since. Mike did some maintenance in the beginning, but when the contract ran out, I took over.

Now, the site gets lots of visits and comes up on Google more than it used to. People weren’t finding us before I worked with Sayenko. I’ve gotten a lot of feedback from customers saying the site is easy to navigate and very informative. It looks really professional. People think we’re a huge company, but we’re rather small, but growing steadily.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Mike did a great job. We had timelines, and he would touch base with us to explain different options. He met with us in person at times to show us what he had and allowed us to give feedback. He completed the project in a timely manner.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

Mike has an art background, and his knowledge spoke to me. I’m very creative and really wanted the graphics to look good. His background made me confident in what he was putting on the page. The site is designed really well, and it’s beautiful to look at, which was important to me.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

My partner and I are both women, and Mike would always call us “guys” in our communication over email. I thought that was funny. I would suggest not doing that to other clients.

Web Design for Chess-Based Educational Company

"I loved working with him from the aspect of integrity, openness, and communication."

Sayenko Design updated company branding and designed a new WordPress website, focusing on ease of use and driving users to registration. They also provided some input on SEO and Google Analytics.

Bellevue, Washington
Elliott Neff
CEO, Chess4Life

Sayenko Design can make complicated or overhaul projects seem easy through their careful workflow and reliable communication. The team can capture vision and mission in one or few iterations of web design, and implement feedback well. They are transparent and have an eye for customer experience.

Chess4Life is a company I founded in 2005. We teach life skills through chess primarily to elementary aged students. We’ve got the tools to empower others. Our goal is to reach one million kids a week learning life skills through chess. Our vision is to be the world’s leading provider of the tools necessary for developing these life skills through the game of chess. We’re part of Inc. 5,000 fastest growing firms. We have a short video on YouTube that shows what we mean by life skills through chess. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I’m a not a tech person and we needed a modern, mobile-friendly website to share our vision and mission. We needed a site that would be easy to use and update. We had an existing website but had moved to a backend platform to handle registration and we needed something that would interface to the backend.

What I liked most was Mike gave us a very clear process to follow that was very detailed. I was able to share my vision and then hand it off to a detailed member of our team who was able to fill out the specs required. The process went really well. Mike delivered the product very quickly. We really liked his methodology of asking what we wanted to accomplish with each page instead of just putting content on the site. We gave them the branding elements we had and an idea of what we wanted. Mike had also helped us to update our branding. Mike mocked up the direction to go and was able to get 80% of what we wanted in the first draft. There were a few iterations because we were in the process of rebranding at the same time.

Mike is an expert in WordPress and that’s what he recommended for us. We love it because it allows us the ability modify things very easily. Before this, we had a site where the user registered on the same site and was fully integrated. Now we’ve removed that complexity on the backend which allowed us to move toward an educational front. We now have the core programs, the educational marketing, the key pieces, etc. to drive the user to registration. We needed to build out the content to make it user friendly, educational and aesthetically pleasing. It was a fairly simple site overall.

When we first started working with Sayenko, they were a pretty small team and Mike would give some work to his contractors to help on the project. I think we had three people working on the project. One time we had a call with Mike and another person who was an expert in helping with the crafting of specific words for SEO.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I knew Mike already and had met him a few times. I had seen some of this work and felt he was a great person to talk to. I reached out to him for help with our project because I felt very confident in him and the integrity of his work.

We spent under $10,000.

The project was completed in six weeks during the year 2015.

I don’t have any metrics. We looked at Google Analytics and Mike worked with us on that. We’re seeing traffic from multiple sources but no direct metrics. We’ve had a lot of compliments about our site.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Our main point of contact was Mike. They had a very detailed, thorough process and followed through and were very good at listening to our feedback. I had a team member from our side handling the process and from what I heard, it was very smooth.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

He’s thorough, detailed and has a real eye for the customer experience. He understands what it takes to have the site be visible to be able to achieve the goals we have. I loved working with him from the aspect of integrity, openness, and communication. I still use them for updates and I’ve referred business to them so that says a lot about how much I like them.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I’m a big picture person so I don’t really want to dive into the details, whereas Mike loves the details. I learned very quickly to hand off the project.

Overall Score - I’m so big picture that once you get to the details, I need to jump past that. Be sure to have a detailed person manage the project.
    I don’t recall any issues.
    They’re not cheap and they’re not super expensive. It was good value for us. If you have a low budget, you might not want to go there, but if you want quality at a very reasonable price, they’re a great choice.
    Their openness and integrity in the process along with the end result matches up with your end goal.
    I have already been doing so.

Web Redesign for Building Maintenance Subsidiary

"[T]he redesign process with Sayenko was well ahead of the redesign we did with the corporate website."

July 2016 - Jan. 2017

Sayenko Design completely redesigned a subsidiary website to enhance both aesthetics and SEO. The team provided full-scale assistance from initial design suggestions to pre-launch keyword optimization.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Anchorage, Alaska
Communications Director, Facilities Management Company

Of the brand’s 13 associated websites, the site by Sayenko Design has earned the most compliments from internal and external visitors, contributing to a 7x increase in traffic. The project team’s dual UX and technical skill set ensured an attractive, modern final product.

I’m the communications director for a company, and the project we worked on with Sayenko was for one of our subsidiaries, a Hawaii-based facilities management company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We had a really dated website that lacked a positive user experience and was not search engine optimized. We had a lot of challenges, both aesthetically and technically, as far as driving traffic to the website and getting consumers and buyers to make a decision once they got there.

Sayenko did a full redesign of our old website. We went through an initial design phase where they came up with comps for what the site would look like based on surveys we’d completed. In the surveys, we outlined not only aesthetically what we were looking for but also what we were hoping to accomplish with the website, including who our target audience was, their profile, what kind of decisions we were looking for our customers to make once they got to the website, and how we could build the website to make sure that it was driving them to make those decisions or address that call to action.

Sayenko provided design comps that addressed some of those needs, and we reviewed them and provided feedback. They came back to us with revised comps, and then we got into the second phase, which was building the website. Sayenko created the website, and we did the copywriting on our end. We did have Sayenko do some SEO-specific copywriting on about 3 or 4 pages that we were looking to target for SEO. Sayenko made sure those pages were optimized with the appropriate keywords, and then we went into the final review and launch phase, which was more of an internal process.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

We reached out to several firms before choosing Sayenko. Our company is based in Anchorage, Alaska, and our corporate website was built by another Alaskan company. Just by the nature of being in Alaska, there’s a limited skill set and resources in web design and SEO specifically available here. Typically, when you look at website vendors, they’re either really good at SEO but not aesthetics, or they’re good at aesthetics but not the SEO.

We knew we wanted to look outside of Alaska to find someone that would be able to meet both of those needs. We looked at companies on the West Coast because we wanted someone who was closer to our time zone for working purposes, so we looked at several firms throughout Seattle and in the greater Washington area. I think we also looked at a couple in Oregon and California. Ultimately, we found Sayenko’s proposal to be closer to what we were looking for, and it was within the scope of our budget.

One of the main goals for the redesign of the subsidiary website was to drive traffic to the website and to leverage that as a marketing tool. Sayenko seemed to have a really strong skill set in that area; SEO seems to fall well into their wheelhouse.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I think we invested between $10,000 and $20,000 with Sayenko Design.

We probably started working with Sayenko in mid-2016, and we launched the website at the beginning of 2017. I would say the project was probably a 6-month process. I think Sayenko’s process is typically a little tighter. The end of the project was delayed on our end with getting loose ends tied up and making sure the content was reviewed, approved, and finalized. We also had some complementary projects, such as a video for the website, that were happening simultaneously that held it up a bit. Based on Sayenko’s process, the project probably would have taken about 3 or 4 months. Going forward, Sayenko will be our main design vendor, so we have a monthly contract with them where they’ll do updates to the website and the content management system and provide technical support as needed.

It’s still early for us to have hard metrics because the website was only launched in January. I think SEO stuff can take up to a year before you know where you sit. We checked the website about a month ago, and the traffic had gone up sevenfold. But, it’s hard to look critically at that because a lot of the traffic may be due to the fact that it’s new, we have employees visiting the site, etc. I wouldn't use that figure as a good benchmark, but at least it’s promising.

We have about 13 subsidiary companies, and this website is by far the best we have right now. We’ve received a lot of complimentary feedback from our other companies who are now looking to do something similar because of the quality of this project.

I don't think our team is leveraging the website as much as they could from a sales and an SEO standpoint, but that’s more of an internal issue than it is an issue with Sayenko. Our team does not have a dedicated website manager, so in terms of updating the blog and site, it could be a lot better. Again, we’ve gotten a lot of anecdotal feedback from other business leaders saying that they’ve been impressed with the website.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

I worked mainly with the owner, Mike, who is great, and another gentleman, Matt, I believe. I know they’re a relatively small team. Mike was the project manager and kind of our overarching point of contact. He drove the visuals and the strategic direction of the website, and then Matt did more of the technical work and helped us with some of the SEO copywriting. He also helped with uploading content and images as we finalized those on our end, and I believe he was also developing the pages.

Sayenko did really well from a project management standpoint. I think they struggle with some of the same limitations that any firm of their size does; because they’re a small team, there are always going to be little kinks or hiccups related to that. We did have to work through some of those challenges, but overall, they did a good job of managing the project and driving the process forward, and the product was great as well.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

We have the experience of redesigning both our corporate website and our subsidiary website, and the redesign process with Sayenko was well ahead of the redesign we did with the corporate website. The subsidiary website is much more user-friendly, including the content management system on the backend, which is focused for our organization’s workers. Our employees, who are not technical or IT-specific, are able to use it and manipulate graphics and text pretty easily, whereas we’ve had a number of issues with our corporate website. There’s a huge contrast between both websites.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

The only challenge we faced a couple of times throughout the project was regarding change orders, and I think that goes hand-in-hand with any IT-related project. With website design, particularly when you’re working with people who are not web designers, you don’t know what you don’t know. There were a few instances where our team ran into things that we knew we wanted, and Sayenko would come back and say, “That feature will cost you another $1,000.” We had assumed that we would be building a standard website. I think there was a little bit of a communication gap in the initial process, especially when you’re dealing with non-technical people who might not be flagging issues, such as a sticky menu bar that still shows no matter how far you scroll down the page. Things like that that you wouldn’t think to outline in an RFP [request for proposal] because you're not a website person, but when you get there, you realize, “Oh, we really do need that.” It might have been nicer to know some of those things up front that would be recommended to include on the site, rather than having to come back and do change orders down the road. But, I think that’s just a learning process for both sides.

Overall Score There are always going to be hiccups and issues, but overall we had a positive experience with Sayenko.
    I think there were a few instances where we ran behind on some things, in part due to miscommunications and not being able to meet face-to-face. Sayenko addressed those issues pretty quickly, and they were responsive when we needed something immediately.
    I think that websites can cost up to $100,000 nowadays when you're doing custom sites. For Sayenko to do something of this quality in the $10,000–$20,000 range is pretty remarkable.
    We had a couple of minor struggles with Sayenko that I think are standard with any project of this scope, but overall our experience was positive.
    I’ve recommended Sayenko to other companies within our family of businesses.

Responsive Site Design for Kayak Tourism Company

"Sayenko did great from a project management standpoint. We always knew where they were and what they were doing."

Jan. - Feb. 2017

Sayenko Design performed a complete redo of a kayak expedition website, providing a responsive look and feel to create a more professional image.

Gustavus, Alaska
Gary Carlson
President, Spirit Walker Expeditions

Through Sayenko Design’s efforts, the site’s mobile bounce rate decreased by nearly 25% after the update process. The team’s reasonable price point, clear communication, and proactive project management facilitated a great short-term collaboration.

I’m the president of Spirit Walker Expeditions. We offer guided sea kayaking trips in Glacier Bay, Alaska.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We had an 8- or 9-year-old website that was not responsive, and we needed to update it and turn it into a responsive site.

We had a limited budget, but we basically needed to redo our whole website. I talked to a number of different companies, and Sayenko was the only one that could do the project in our price range and appeared to have the capabilities to do it well. They had a thorough intake process, and we had a number of review processes and iterations that we collaborated with them on. That process went really well.

They built the site on WordPress, we populated it with content and photos, and then we launched it. The site is a pretty standard WordPress site. Given our budget and our needs, we didn't want anything too intricate. Sayenko also made it a lot easier for us to manage our calendar, which was great. I don't know how custom that was.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I got recommendations from friends, and I also looked for companies online. Sayenko was referred to me by another company that usually didn't do projects this small, but they knew that Sayenko often beat them on price for projects of this size. I thought that was a good recommendation.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I feel comfortable saying we spent less than $10,000.

We started working on the project in January of 2017 and ended in February of 2017. I assume that if we want to update the site or make changes, we’ll go back to Sayenko to do that. We don't have anything else planned right now.

One of the biggest things that drove us to make a responsive site was the bounce rate we saw from our mobile visitors. That bounce rate appears to have decreased by about 20% to 25%.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko did great from a project management standpoint. We always knew where they were and what they were doing. They let us know when they needed stuff from us. That worked well. We mostly used email to communicate. They used a prototyping tool to share designs with us and allow us to make comments. I don't know if that falls under the project management side, but that was the only bit of technology we used for communication other than email.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

We had a very tight budget. I would have liked to have had another $4,000 or $5,000 to do the work, but they took the project, even though it was small; they gave it their full attention and built a solid website for us that had a good visual design, which was more than I was expecting.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I don't know if this should have been in their service or not, but it would have been nice if they had helped us think a little bit more about transitioning from our old site to our new site in terms of maintaining URLs or doing redirects. I’m not sure that was necessarily part of their mandate, though, given the tight budget we had.

Overall Score It was great.
    Sayenko met all of their deadlines.
    Sayenko’s cost was great. They redid our site, and I couldn't find anyone else to do the work for this price.
    Sayenko did everything they said they were going to do, and it all works well.
    I certainly would recommend that folks consider Sayenko.

Web Design for Boutique Sports Management Company

"He’s very realistic on the timeline and he always delivers."

2013 - Ongoing

Sayenko Design created a WordPress website for a small sports management company to refine their professional image. They have created similar WordPress sites for multiple clients of the company, as well.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Merhawi Keflezighi
Founder, HAWI Management

Sayenko has a good eye for understanding the client's vision. The team is diligent in project management and communication, especially in implementing feedback. The sites and landing pages they have built are effective in achieving the end-goal of engagement.

HAWI Management is an athlete management company that represents track and field athletes as well as world-class triathlon athletes. I’m the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I wanted to have a more professional and vibrant website to make a good first impression on people we may not meet in person and it may be the first place they go when we give them a business card.

The site was built on WordPress and is pretty simple. The site looks professional and is mobile friendly and easy to navigate. It has some video incorporated into it and a very nice landing page. The website is hosted on their server.

I have worked with Sayenko on several other websites for some of my clients as well. One of them started out as a simple site but has grown over time to include e-commerce, social media, videos, photos, etc. I’ve worked with Mike to continue to update the site in terms of content, layout, and e-commerce. It’s been fun to watch the website grow.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I knew Mike Sayenko when he was an Olympic trials marathon qualifier. He was just getting his business started and I’ve seen it evolve into one of the best in the industry.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I’ve spent over $10,000 with them for both of the projects I mentioned.

We started working together in 2013, and the work is ongoing.

We also have a submission form on our website, so we get a lot of leads for speaking engagements and prospective sponsors for my client. We also have a specific outreach for anyone interested in having my client coach and consult with them to help improve their running. So those are inquiries that come to our inbox on a regular basis. That shows that people are coming to the website and navigating it in such a way that they’re getting to know who we are and are eager to interact with us.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko Designs under-promises and over-delivers. He lets you know what he’s capable of doing, what the timeline is, and what the costs are. I work directly with Mike and we communicate mainly through email and attached documents.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

I really like the process Sayenko has for identifying exactly what the client wants. Sometimes there is a misunderstanding between what the service provider can provide and what the client is looking for. Mike and his team do a good job of making sure there’s clear communication on what the expectations are from the client. Once the expectations are clear, in writing, and authorized, then they execute on that plan. He let me preview the site before launching it making sure I was satisfied with the results.

I know Mike does SEO really well but we haven’t utilized that as much because we’re not looking for tons of hits on our site. We just want to make sure that the people that find the website have a great experience. He’s a big advocate of SEO to make sure the website is a top hit for your industry, so we may utilize that more in the future. The timeliness has always been great and that’s been an issue with other firms I’ve used. He’s very realistic on the timeline and he always delivers.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

No. So far, everything has been good.

Overall Score I’ve really enjoyed working with Mike, learning from him, and having a system. Now that we’ve done a couple of websites together, I know what to expect and I’m better prepared to be a good partner to him and vice versa.
    They have always delivered on time. Sometimes when I have a sense of urgency and I need something done quickly, it may be unrealistic of me and I like that Mike and his team are able to give me a more realistic timeline.
    I’m not aware of the pricing of other firms. I know it’s expensive and sometimes I feel I’m paying a premium. At the same time, I would prefer to pay a premium for great service and meeting deadlines.
    The quality is great.
    I’ve referred him already and will continue to do so.

Sub-Domain Development for Theatre Association

"Sayenko Design was always clear and upfront."

Sayenko Design built a custom WordPress website to showcase a company’s services. They offered thoughtful solutions and successfully optimize the site’s potential.

Marketing, PNTA

Sayenko worked diligently and professionally to deliver a beautiful website at a good value. They were proactive about getting what they needed to do their job well.

I’m the head of marketing at a theatrical supply house that does event engagements, rentals, builds, and draperies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

Because our company does so many different types of business, one website didn't really reflect all of those different areas incredibly well. We'd received an enthusiastic recommendation for Sayenko Design from one of our business partners, so we engaged them to do a specialty subdomain for our event services group.

We contacted Sayenko Design and exchanged a few emails, and then they came to us to figure out who we are and what we’re about. We discussed the process and what the division of work might be, and then they gave us some options, which included everything from a bare-bones site to the dream site we could have with an unlimited budget.

Once we determined where we wanted to be on that spectrum, they used WordPress to build the site. One person worked on the site’s design and infrastructure. Another one really worked on keyword discovery and copy. They were really good at keeping on our case to provide them with customer testimonials, event images, and other content pieces that would make the site effective.

What event services does is provide the technical underpinnings of a successful live event. That means lighting, sound, video, and staging. Sayenko Design helped us figure out how to effectively communicate what event services is, and what our customers are getting when they hired us. Now, we have an incredibly visual website that is divided into appropriate event types and customer categories with keyword-ranked information about each event.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

We belong to an industry association that recommended Sayenko Design to us out of the blue. The people within the event services department had been pushing for a more robust and focused web presentation. I've launched a lot of websites in the course of my 15-year career, and when I spoke to the people at Sayenko Design, you could tell that they absolutely knew what they were doing. They knew best practices, and they had a keen grasp of effective workflow and project management. We didn't even bother bidding out the work. We received a strong recommendation and the initial interview went well, so we went forward with them.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I want to say we invested around $5,000 with Sayenko Design.

Unfortunately, around the same time that the new website was launched, our event services department experienced substantial personnel changes, so we really stepped back from promoting the site during that time of upheaval. The website is still active today, but I would have a difficult time giving you any hard metrics on it. The current people running the department have absolutely made use of it — not as much as we’d hope, but it has been updated to a certain extent. It’s being maintained appropriately; Sayenko Design and our team are occasionally adding content. The website continues to be a useful marketing tool that drives good leads.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko Design was always clear and upfront. We used emails and phone calls to stay in touch. They had no problems sticking to their deadlines, and they were good about prompting us to provide the content we had agreed to provide. I know the entire process would have been much faster had we been providing the assets requested of us in a more timely manner. At no point were things lagging because of Sayenko Design.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

Sayenko Design was professional and efficient, and they provided a fair value for the price. I wish our own internal issues had not gotten in the way of maximizing the value of the great new tool they had provided us; what they did provide was exactly what we needed.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I can’t think of any ways Sayenko Design could improve. They did a fantastic job.

WordPress Design for Magician

"The amount of clicks and the click to conversion rate I am getting far surpassed what I expected."

2016 - Ongoing

Sayenko Design created a website, designed branding materials, updated content, and ran SEO to establish a presence for a magician in a new market. They continue to work on enhancements to the site.

Sole Proprietor

Mark Schaefer
Owner, Mark Schaefer Magic

6 shows were booked within the first 10 days after launching the site. The client now has repeat customers and is constantly complimented on the professionalism of his materials. The level of personal attention and strategic suggestions from Sayenko Design distinguishes them from competitors.

I’m the owner of Mark Schaefer Magic Entertainment Company. I specialize in corporate magic.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I had just moved here to the Seattle market from Los Angeles. I had an outdated web presence and little to no social media. Back in Los Angeles, most of my business came from word-of-mouth. I really wanted to establish a cleaner, more corporate look because that’s my clientele. I also wanted help to establish a presence here in the Seattle area, given that I had no presence here before moving.

It started off with a call to make sure that we were a match for each other and then I really talked to him in-depth. They actually had a really good process that helped me extrapolate what I was trying to do in my words. Then they presented it back to me with how they envisioned it and how they thought the process should flow. They discussed everything, from persona creation, to what market I was trying to reach and the type of content that I wanted to put up there. Their work included search engine optimization, blogging, and some analytics around my website. They introduced me to targeted AdWords and how that process works, whether it’s Facebook or Google. From start to finish, they helped me not only create a new brand, look, and logo, but a complete refresh. Aside from my website and graphic content, they created my new logo, business cards, stationery, everything. The website was all done in WordPress. They added some plugins to WordPress for scripting such as MailChimp.

I also have an interactive portion that I do with my audience to drive them to my website. That was Mike’s idea. I took the creative side of the magic and he did the programmatic coding for the backend. We just launched that about 30 days ago. I used him recently for some analytics questions and tweaking that I needed. We also did an update of the content, videos, and pictures that we are going to be putting back up.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I found Mike via a referral from another friend in the industry. Initially, I reviewed 4 different companies. I like to support local businesses, but 2 of the agencies that I spoke to were not even in the state and the other one was very far away. Mike is local here. That was only 1 deciding factor, though. Mike had never worked with a magician before, so he was really eager to take on this challenge. He very quickly gave me his pitch. Once Mike took all my information, he walked through their methodology, how they would attack the project, their timing, and the duration. He did so in such detail that it really made me feel comfortable that he would deliver a product that I would enjoy.

We launched last year, so it’s been 10 to 12 months. We worked on it and then we put it on hold for a bit, and then we came back to it. We actually had a soft launch in the first weeks of January 2016 and we went live in February. I will absolutely continue to work with Mike for other engagements.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I spent $6,000 to $8,000 total for my project from start to finish.

Actually, it’s a perfect day to have this call with you. I got 2 really big contacts today commenting on my site and how they found me. Literally 20 to 30 minutes ago, I got a contact from a very large entertainment agency here in the Seattle area. They have a lot of interested people and wanted to know if I could be part of a 4-month show downtown in Seattle. They were commenting on the website, how fast it is, and how clean it is. This is the only brand I have in the Seattle area as far as imagery and such, and it’s been serving me well and driving people to my business.

Right away, I’ll say in the first 10 days of my side launching, I got 6 shows booked. I asked how they all found me and they said they found my website through a Google search. Even before I performed and signed contracts with these folks, I was getting comments about how the presence of my site looks exactly like the image that they would want from an entertainer. It’s clean, crisp, and corporate looking. The amount of clicks and the click to conversion rate I am getting far surpassed what I expected. The bounce rate is also very low compared to the industry average. Also, we added the ability to sign up for my newsletter. Within 2 weeks, I got several hundred people signed up. I was like “Wow. What magic is he working?” He also helped me to launch a Facebook ad.

I’ve done magic for all of the top 10 Seattle-based corporations on a repeat basis. I didn’t have that before launch. When I look at my competition in the area, with the exception of 1 person now, everyone has a pretty weak, outdated web presence. A lot of times, I don’t get to speak to a potential buyer. They see my website and that’s their first impression. I was really focused on having a strong, fast impression that conveyed who I am and why would it be beneficial to hire me. A lot of times, Mike challenged me to think differently and I think it’s paying off.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They actually are really good at that. They are very upfront about deadlines. They were chasing me down for things that they needed from me. I jokingly say it was a nightmare then because I was so busy, but they were trying to make sure they met their deadlines, which really paid off. Their process and follow-up pushed me to make sure that we kept the project moving forward. They fire off messages to me to review things and to follow up on requests for information, whether it’s keywords, imagery, or reference content. Any delay was always because of me. Mike literally—I don’t know how he does it as it’s a small company—gets back to me right away. I never wait more than 24 hours for a response.

What did you most impressive about Sayenko Design?

I would go back to one of the reasons I hired them. It’s not the cheapest solution or one of these inexpensive site creation promises. He really took the time to get to know me and to understand the business. The competitive analysis that they did for me at the beginning was amazing. I had just moved here and I didn’t know my competition in this area. His focus on detail and his passion around the call to action was great. He doesn’t just take any work—he really drives and wants a long-term partner, not a customer. He proactively will call me and say, “I noticed this month that your conversion is really high. What is it that you’re doing and how can we help you repeat it?” So I see Mike as kind of a business consultant to me, someone to bounce ideas off of. That’s something that people that work with him should know about. He is going to take time to really understand you and your business. It’s not just a short transaction and then off to the next customer. At least, that was my interaction with him.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

The only thing that I would say would be that he can’t scale. As his business continues to grow, he should make sure that he has people that are able to help him grow. A lot of times, people like myself need things really quickly. His success in business and the amount of customers coming to him probably make it tough for him sometimes. I work directly each time with Mike, but then he outsources it to somebody else and then they call me and then I call Mike back for the most part. Again, it’s not a weakness. I just think that as his business grows, hopefully, he will hire more people so that he can scale even more.

Overall Score Mike and his team want you to succeed. He’s been proactive about continuing to be a business partner to me. I don’t know how he does it with so few people, but he does it.
    They really hold the customer accountable. A lot of the times, the pressure they put on me was good and actually exposed that I was the one holding things up.
    The amount of money that I spent with him on the project immediately paid itself off. I covered my costs in the first 3 shows. Those shows were driven by people who found me on my website. I feel really good about what I spent.
    They exceeded my expectations. They were very able to deal with lots of little changes and questions I had the entire time, no matter how silly it may have seemed. They always made it feel like it was no problem.
    Very high. I just did yesterday.

Web Design for Care Package Startup

"I really liked that they were local, available, and that they're a small business."

Aug. - Nov. 2016

Sayenko Design created a WordPress site with e-commerce functionality to serve as an additional marketplace for the client, a food care package startup.

Owner, Care Package Startup

The site's design works well and there have been very few bugs. The client liked the personal touch and level of attention from Sayenko's team, though clarity in pricing is an area for improvement.

I’m the president of a company that sells care packages containing food products on the Internet. We mostly sell on Amazon as a third-party seller.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We wanted a website built for a new product line. Before Sayenko Design designed and built our e-commerce website, Amazon was the main way we sold our products.

We hired Sayenko Design to create our WordPress site because we wanted an additional external marketplace for purchases. We also wanted to increase our marketing and visibility to customers. After the site was launched, they helped troubleshoot issues with payments and orders so that everything ran smoothly. Sayenko Design also did a marketing review. We’re still paying them to host the site and provide some minor monthly maintenance support and updates.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I originally had reached out to 5 or 6 different web companies in the Seattle area, and Sayenko Design was one of them. I contacted some of his former clients and altogether he just seemed like the best option. He owns the company and he seemed like he was available, and I like working with people who are available. At the time, he seemed to be the best option for us.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We’ve paid around $20,000 for their services.

We started working together about 3 months before we launched the site, which was around the end of November. It was done by then or the most part, but there were definitely some kinks we had to work out a week or 2 after that.

It’s hard to quantify. Our customers haven’t had many issues with ordering, so in that sense, the site is effective at doing what it’s supposed to do. The design also works really well. I’ve had friends and family check out the website and they like it and think it works.

The traffic has been disappointing, but I wouldn't blame Sayenko Design for that. It’s probably more because of the reality of how people shop online. We do a lot of business on Amazon, and we thought we would be able to do well on our own website. I think SEO and marketing just need to be ramped up.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They did fine from a project management standpoint. Communication was tough sometimes, but overall I think they’re pretty responsive, especially the last week before the website launched. They definitely stepped up that week and worked really hard to make sure we got everything done. We mostly communicated via email, but there were a few phone calls and online conferences. There were a couple of different stages of the project where he was coming up with a lot of ideas and did a lot of the design work on his own. Toward the end, we were collaborating a lot to complete the finishing touches. Most of the work was done between Mike and a partner who’s more of a WordPress professional.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

I really liked that they were local, available, and that they're a small business. I’m a small business, so I appreciate that. A lot of the web firms around Seattle are big multi-million dollar firms, but I like to work with smaller companies, so that was nice.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

About midway through the process, I was a little worried the website wouldn't be done in time because he left for a vacation a week or 2 before we were supposed to launch the website. That being said, he did kick it into high gear when he got back and he met the deadline in the long run. But I had no idea he was going to do that. Sometimes when companies disappear on you, they don't come back.

WordPress Development for Federal IT Consultant

"[T]hey have a great way of walking people through a project."

May - Sept. 2015

Sayenko Design developed a simple, fixed-page WordPress website and designed PDF brochures for the client. They also provide hosting services.

Washington, DC
Richard Oestreich
Owner, Blackspoke

The client is extremely pleased with the final product and is grateful that Sayenko implemented their idea with little pushback. Aside from a minor hosting issue, there have been no problems.

I’m the owner and president of Blackspoke, a government contracting company. We are primarily IT consultants for the federal government.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We were trying to establish credibility by having a professional web presence for our company. We wanted a static one-page presence.

It was pretty straightforward. Sayenko did a WordPress template-based website design. It incorporated some custom photography that a local photographer did of the actual employees and myself. They did some PDF brochure design as well. It's a non-interactive static site that just provides information about the company. They did most of the technical implementation. I had a pretty well-formed idea of how I wanted it to look and the sites that I liked. We wrote all the content ourselves as it would have been challenging for someone else to write our content. Sayenko did do a little bit of tech editing and content editing, but that's about it.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I did a web search. We found a company that was a little too expensive for what we wanted because we didn't want anything too advanced. Fortunately, that company recommended Sayenko Design. I don't know if it's changed, but at that time they were taking on slightly smaller engagements like our website .

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We probably spent around $10,000 on the website.

We worked with Sayenko Design from May 2015 to August or September 2015. We pay them a monthly fee for hosting as well as updates to WordPress. We haven't had the need to do any updates but if we do, we have discussed a ballpark figure for it.

They did a great job. It's a great site with fixed pages, exactly what we wanted. We've had a lot of compliments on the site and it’s been well-received. I don't have any objective measure of how successful it's been. I'm very happy with the finished project.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

We're on the East Coast and they're on the West Coast, so we primarily used email for communicating everything and that was fine. We're a relatively small company and I took this project on directly as the owner. There wasn't a lot of bureaucracy on our side and I interfaced pretty much directly with Mike. It was easy to coordinate things because, at the time, both of us were relatively small companies.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

I think they were good. I know that they have a great way of walking people through a project. I'm probably a different use case because I had a really well-thought out idea of what I wanted. The one thing I will say is Mike did a really good job of implementing my vision, which is not always easy to do for people who have their own ideas and are good at their particular job. Sometimes it means saying, “I wouldn't do it that way but you're the customer.” He did a really good job of doing some things that weren't his. He would make recommendations about things. I appreciated their flexibility in implementing someone else's vision that's not necessarily what they would have chosen to do. It turned out well.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

They went through some struggles with their hosting provider that has since been resolved. We had a couple of issues with the site going down due to denial-of-service attacks, someone maliciously doing something so the provider shut down access to the site. That happened 6 or 8 months ago but it hasn't happened since. I know right around that time they switched to a new hosting provider, cloud provider. It's been resolved and I wouldn't necessarily consider it their issue anyway. Granted, they chose the provider. but it wasn't anything they could directly control.

They were great. If there were ever any problems, it was generally on our side.
    They offered the lowest price of the people we met with.
    The only deliverable we held them to was the website and we're very happy with it.
    We're happy with everything so far.