Smart Design. Quality Research. Forward-Thinking.

We build custom WordPress websites that are responsive, clean, modern, and user focused. A web design project is broken up into four phases - strategy, design, development, and training. At Sayenko Design, our web design workflow typically follows a set series of processes:

1. Defined Business Objective

• Sayenko Design
    9757 NE Juanita Dr # 100
    Kirkland, WA 98034
    425.445.7111

LinkedIn, Brooks Running, Invention Development Fund at Intellectual Ventures, University of Washington, Bellevue College, and many more.

Strategy, Design & WordPress Development

B2C – Strategy, Design & WordPress Development

Nonprofit – Strategy, Design & WordPress Development

America’s Foundation for Chess

User Focused Strategy & Web Design

Strategy, Design & WordPress Development

Strategy, Design & WooCommerce Development

WordPress Website for Russian Legal Services Firm

"There were bumps here and there, but it was a good overall experience."

May - Aug. 2017

Chosen for their proficiency in Russian, Sayenko Design built a WordPress website from scratch to replace an outdated one. They provided branding and design elements as well, such as logos, flyers, and more.

Partner, Law Firm

The team was easy to interact with and have great design skills which gave the website a modern and westernized look that the board members really appreciate. Improvement is needed though regarding better documentation on how the website works and clearer project management processes.

I’m associated with a legal services firm in Russia.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

The firm had an old website which I developed myself, but it needed a professional facelift and content to make it more modern. We also wanted to find a simplified way to upload articles and news to the website, making sure it was all trilingual—for Russian, English, and Italian. I didn’t want to translate everything manually.

We contracted Sayenko Design to build the WordPress website from scratch and to do some design work such as updating the logo, letterheads, business cards, and flyers. I initially filled out a questionnaire regarding what our needs were as well as our existing resources. Then, we had an on-premises meeting where Mike, the owner and chief designer, went through a presentation—half of it was a sales pitch and the other half was regarding the technology they would use and how the site would look.

The contract was broken up into three stages including the website, marketing, and design components. During the first stage, they created a skeleton of the website and showed me the general structure of how it would look. The same applied to logos and other design work. They required additional input from me in terms of filling in the content to be used on the website. The second stage was the actual development work and the third stage was for final touches.

In terms of the logo design and other marketing materials, the primary language is Russian and I contacted Mike specifically because he speaks a little bit of Russian, so there would be no language barrier. They did some copywriting work on the English version of the site where they came up with slogans, but I decided not to use any of them as it is a challenge to do this correctly with Russian being the native language. All the slogans ended up sounding too cheesy and a little too templated, so we decided to do this ourselves instead. The work was essentially more about the functionality of being able to translate, as opposed translating the content specifically.

The project wasn’t an end-to-end development—we asked them to create a structured template and the front pages, totaling five pages in total. It was up to us to fill in all the content, including blogs, contact information, our PayPal page, and translating certain pages into English and Italian, which we’re still working on.

The site is up and running, however, the official launch will be next year after we test everything out.

I worked with three people: Mike, who took care of the design work; Kyle [Web Developer, Sayenko Design], who took care of the technical aspect; and another team member who started to work on search engine optimization and copy but we decided to stop those efforts.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I was searching for a local firm in the Seattle area because I wanted to be able to personally contact them. As it is a site for a Russian company, I needed someone who had a basic comprehension of Russian so that they could read the existing site and see its structure. After I started looking for firms with those two criteria, I came across Sayenko Design.

We invested approximately $12,000.

We started working together in May 2017 and the work was completed in late July or August of the same year. If I ever need their help in the future, it will be more on a consultation basis.

The board partners like the site. It is modern and westernized, which is a very important cultural point and one of the reasons why I wanted to go with either an American or Western European company. As we expand, we need visual cultural cues on the website.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Since I’m a software engineer, the whole process was a bit hectic for me as it was mostly chats and email exchange, and we spent a lot of time communicating about the same thing multiple times. I would‘ve preferred to have a big spreadsheet with checkboxes to show what was done and the follow-ups on bug issues.

All in all, the work was great. They were prompt with their responses but when it came to follow-up, I was always trying to figure out what was done and what wasn’t, and asked myself if I was getting what I was paying for when payment was due. I had to go back and take a look at what they promised to deliver and went through my own list. It would be much better if this information could be shared somehow.

They are good in the design aspect, as well as answering technical questions.

They could improve the project management organization aspect, as well as a few technical things. As an engineer, I told them that at the end of the project, I needed to be able to understand the whole thing because I was going to support it from that point on. When they uploaded the site, I had to follow up with questions about how to do certain things and it would’ve been good if they had some sort of electronic form that contained detailed technical documentation.

Overall Score There were bumps here and there, but it was a good overall experience.
    It was a bit expensive. We initially agreed on $10,000, but the project ran over an extra $2,000.
    They are approachable and I can easily work and interact with them.
    I would refer them depending on the project.

WordPress Website for Local Law Firm

“Sayenko gave me a site that’s worth twice the amount they charged.”

Aug. - Nov. 2015

Sayenko designed an original website that focuses on user experience and provides features like menus, video libraries, and scrolling. They also augmented some SEO work.

Partner, Law Firm

Responsiveness, assertiveness, and innovation sets them apart from competitors. Website conversion has increased, and feedback has been unanimously positive. Their expertise allows them to be confident in their work, and ultimately aids in their high-quality delivery.

I’m the owner of a law firm and a member of the LLC. I’m also a solo practitioner insurance attorney for policyholder side claims.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We were getting traffic on the Adobe Muse site I’d designed myself, but we wanted a brand new website in order to further increase our traffic and customer retention.

Mike [Owner and Chief Designer, Sayenko Design] created an original website that is professionally designed and has some really nice features. It’s not only more organized, but it looks more polished and works the way it’s supposed to. I drafted my own content for the site.

They created a menu which displays all of our practice areas that is used in multiple places on the landing page, and they also created a video library. Many law firms don’t offer these types of features. We also have a ‘contact’ and ‘about us’ page, along with typical law practice website components.

They provided some feedback for the content regarding SEO, even though that’s not why we hired them. We had planned on waiting until our budget allowed for it. We mainly just wanted people that came to our website through other sources to be impressed enough to contact us.

Mike was our primary contact, and he also had an engineer working with him.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

We contacted designers of other attractive law firm websites, but their prices were too high. We had a smaller project than what these companies were used to, so they suggested five different companies to us. After looking at these companies’ websites, we contacted them and discussed what their approaches would be. We ultimately decided Sayenko was the best fit.

We’ve spent about $10,000.

We worked together from August 2015 until November 2015.

I don’t have specific figures, but I do know we’ve started seeing more conversions. We’ve also received good feedback from people concerning the look-and-feel of the site. I’m very pleased with the finished product.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Mike provided us with editorial latitude regarding color schemes and structure. Sometimes, our opinions differed, but he always respected our opinion. He had some really great ideas and techniques he implemented throughout the process that were relatively innovative. The graphics and content were both placed well, and the scrolling improved the user experience. These were all things we’d never even considered, so we were very pleased. His communication was very prompt if we had any questions, and he always delivered on time.

Sayenko gave me a site that’s worth twice the amount they charged. It’s a great site that’s comparable to some that the more expensive companies designed.

Mike is good at his job, but I can’t say he is the most polite and charismatic person via email. However, it’s still tolerable. If future clients of his are seeking someone to adulate them, they’re in the wrong place. He knows what he’s doing, and he’s not afraid to be assertive about it.

I’d give them a seven.
    I received way more product than what I paid for.
    I’ve recommended them several times.

Web Dev & Digital Marketing for Accounting Services Startup

"[T]he website came together really well and looks good."

2016 - 2017

Sayenko Designs fully developed a streamlined website, including a digital marketing strategy and SEO. They also assisted with logo, stationery design, and more, all within a 2–3 month period.

Co-Founder, Accounting Services Startup

Sayenko Designs delivered a robust website, even including SEO best practices guidelines as an extra. They provide high quality, sticking to deadlines and responding no later than 24 hours. Their value is also exceptional compared to what other vendors offer.

I’m a co-founder of an accounting services startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Designs?

We wanted help with branding and figuring out effective design strategies to put us ahead of the competition. We work in a niche vertical in the accounting services field.

We wanted to design a strategy to help us promote ourselves as the specialists in our local market. We have no development capabilities in-house, so we needed to outsource the work.

They helped us with full website design, stationery design, logo, copywriting framework, etc. They also helped a lot with SEO [search engine optimization]. They built the website from scratch using WordPress. When they made the wireframes, they used Envision to present it to us. We wanted a site that was simple and streamlined — we don’t have any special features or functionality at this point.

They provided us with an SEO best practices document that included strategies we could try. They also gave us an Excel spreadsheet of all the keywords, cost per click, etc. They offered to do more copywriting, but we decided to pursue that ourselves.

I worked with Mike [Owner and Chief Designer, Sayenko Designs] and Matt [Web Strategist] the most. There were 1–2 other people who were working in the background.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Designs?

We did an online search and someone I had previously worked with had worked with them. I liked the website they did for their company, so we reached out to Sayenko. I looked at 2 other local agencies and Sayenko’s price was better, so we went with them.

We have incorporated the keywords, but it’s so recent that we don’t have any results yet.

We spent $15,000 on the project.

We started working with them in the fourth quarter of 2016 and they had everything ready to go in 2–3 months. There were a couple of times we caused delays by not getting content to them in time. The site was launched at the beginning of August 2017.

I’ve tested all the links, and the site is pretty solid.

How did Sayenko Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

They got back to us the same day or within a day. They hit all project deadlines, and if there was a delay, it was because of us.

Mike did a good job — he delivered what he said he would. I thought the website came together really well and looks great.  Sayenko designed a fresh and contemporary website that allows us to stand out from our competitors.

I can’t think of anything.

I know other firms charge twice as much.
    For the price, the quality is good. We’re happy with it.

WordPress Design for Local Telecommunications Company

"They acknowledge phone calls and emails right away and were honest about when they could do something."

July 2015 - Ongoing

Sayenko redesigned a website, conducted market research, and helped create a digital strategy. They put a focus on user friendliness, mobile responsiveness and simplicity.

Brewster, Washington
John Whiteley
Senior Advisor, US Electrodynamics Inc.

Sayenko is a dynamic and flexible team. They can deliver under pressure, and their website has garnered positive feedback from the industry and customers. Their plan and communication is reliable and transparent, and though some minor mistakes appeared, they’re responsible and attentive to feedback.

US Electrodynamics Inc. is a unique service provider of satellite communications headquartered in Brewster, Washington. We provide B2B satellite and fiber connectivity so our users and customers can best service their consumer customers or government customers. I’m the senior advisor to the CEO and also a director on his board. I oversee the operations from a top level in strategy planning for the future and interfacing with customers. I review and provide assistance on our proposals to customers, review contractual agreements and oversee the company’s financial operations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

There aren’t a lot of other service providers like us, but the ones that are around are usually well-established and have significant websites. We had a website that was getting very old and needed to be revamped to meet the challenges going forward. Our users and customers are other businesses.

Since we are unique, it’s hard to understand what we do. They educated themselves on who we are, what we do, and what our objectives were. They asked us pointed questions and showed us some concepts and their ideas. They blended in their experience with other service provider companies that they’ve done website work for. We went through the process of several concepts and drafts and worked together to make the project mature. The website was a redesign but we wanted to carry on some of the attributes that we already had in our old website. Sayenko went to some of our major customers to make sure our message was supported and in concert with the messages on their website.

We did a lot of initial work and then I needed to provide a lot of content for the site. I was overcome by other priorities and slowed the project down. We did a few things with the site in the winter of 2016, and had a draft website. It wasn’t until January 2017 that our company provided me some additional help to keep the project moving forward. We let Sayenko know that our goal was to launch the website before a conference that we were attending in early March. We got to work and were able to launch in February. They host the site and take care of our security. They also helped train a new business development person that came onboard in-house. Mike trained us to be able to do some small things on the website ourselves including updating names, changing phone numbers, etc.

What are some of the updated features of the site?

We wanted the site to be fresh and uncomplicated. We wanted the right balance of color, user friendliness, and mobile friendliness, which our previous site was not. We had a very poor “Contact Us” page and they came up with a new one. When you first enter the website, there’s a fly-in of satellite dishes and our primary headquarters site, which gave the site some animation without overdoing it. I came in with some examples of other company’s sites that do the same thing we do. We went through what we liked about theirs and what we didn’t like. We took the best of the best websites.

How many resources have been assigned to your project?

They made reference to two other individuals that did some of the work, but I never personally met them.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I did a Google search for a local small website business. I looked at some of the work they’d done and met with the principal owner, and we hit it off. I wasn’t considering other providers.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We’ve spent between $5,000 and $10,000 with them. That includes the site, the research, hosting, and the retainer.

We started working with them in July 2015, and the site was launched in February 2017. The work is still ongoing. We keep them on a retainer so that if we need to change something, we can email or call them to get it done.

Everyone that we work with in the industry has seen the site, and we’ve gotten positive feedback. Our owner has a lot of close friends in the industry and they’ve commented on the site.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They are outstanding. We communicated through email and phone. We had two in-person working sessions which really helped understand who we were working with and gave us live feedback. It was clear where we were going with the project.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

They are customer-focused. They acknowledge phone calls and emails right away and were honest about when they could do something. We’re a small business too, so I respect that. Sometimes you just can’t do everything at the same time. They prioritized what we needed to have updated or changed. We worked together to make the deadline knowing that we could still make improvements after the site went live.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

Nothing goes completely perfectly. For corrections and updates, we thought we were pretty clear with them about what the words had to be and what it should look like. A couple of times, it didn’t come through that way. The communication was good, and they were open to our feedback.

WordPress Website for Children's Education Company

"The site is designed really well, and it’s beautiful to look at, which was important to me."

Sayenko Design provided web updates and SEO services to improve brand presence and convey a more professional look and feel, incorporating vibrant graphics and an attractive UX/UI.

Woodinville, Washington
Susan Naranjo
Founder, Grasshopper Enrichment

The new site has achieved higher Google rankings and attracted more visitors, many of whom praise its easy navigation and informative content. Sayenko Design’s proactive scheduling, creative vision, and personal investment in the engagement’s success left a favorable impression.

I’m the founder and director of Grasshopper Enrichment Education, which provides classes, workshops, and camps for elementary-age kids that are focused on empowering life tools. Our classes teach kids the skills that give them added opportunities in life and will help them stand out from the crowd such as public speaking, debate, leadership, manners, written communication, and science.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I had a website already, but it was outdated (mostly because I had insisted on certain design elements which I shouldn’t have). I wanted to completely redesign the website and work on the SEO but didn’t know how to do that myself.

We met with Mike [Founder, Sayenko Design] and showed him what we had. He asked about our company and what we wanted to figure out what needed to be done. He was very personal and professional in focusing on our needs and strategizing how to improve our brand. He put together some ideas of what the site would look like and made suggestions, even changing our logo slightly to make it better. He showed us options of the layout and kept in touch with us as he was making changes.

He asked us to write some of the text, which he changed to make it work better for SEO. We have banners, an email newsletter, contact page, registration forms, and a blog. We don’t run any processing through our website because we knew that would cost more. We have links to take us to those places. I love the way he did the pictures on our site. He changed the background and added some fun elements behind the images.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I met Mike at a BNI meeting. I was there as a guest, and he spoke. What he was saying struck me, and I knew I needed to talk to him.Sayenko Design's art background and previous work, along with their presentation and price seemed like a good fit.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

We spent $5,000 on the site and SEO.

Our site has been up for 3 years. We haven’t done much with it since. Mike did some maintenance in the beginning, but when the contract ran out, I took over.

Now, the site gets lots of visits and comes up on Google more than it used to. People weren’t finding us before I worked with Sayenko. I’ve gotten a lot of feedback from customers saying the site is easy to navigate and very informative. It looks really professional. People think we’re a huge company, but we’re rather small, but growing steadily.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Mike did a great job. We had timelines, and he would touch base with us to explain different options. He met with us in person at times to show us what he had and allowed us to give feedback. He completed the project in a timely manner.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

Mike has an art background, and his knowledge spoke to me. I’m very creative and really wanted the graphics to look good. His background made me confident in what he was putting on the page. The site is designed really well, and it’s beautiful to look at, which was important to me.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

My partner and I are both women, and Mike would always call us “guys” in our communication over email. I thought that was funny. I would suggest not doing that to other clients.

Web Design for Chess-Based Educational Company

"I loved working with him from the aspect of integrity, openness, and communication."

Sayenko Design updated company branding and designed a new WordPress website, focusing on ease of use and driving users to registration. They also provided some input on SEO and Google Analytics.

Bellevue, Washington
Elliott Neff
CEO, Chess4Life

Sayenko Design can make complicated or overhaul projects seem easy through their careful workflow and reliable communication. The team can capture vision and mission in one or few iterations of web design, and implement feedback well. They are transparent and have an eye for customer experience.

Chess4Life is a company I founded in 2005. We teach life skills through chess primarily to elementary aged students. We’ve got the tools to empower others. Our goal is to reach one million kids a week learning life skills through chess. Our vision is to be the world’s leading provider of the tools necessary for developing these life skills through the game of chess. We’re part of Inc. 5,000 fastest growing firms. We have a short video on YouTube that shows what we mean by life skills through chess. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I’m a not a tech person and we needed a modern, mobile-friendly website to share our vision and mission. We needed a site that would be easy to use and update. We had an existing website but had moved to a backend platform to handle registration and we needed something that would interface to the backend.

What I liked most was Mike gave us a very clear process to follow that was very detailed. I was able to share my vision and then hand it off to a detailed member of our team who was able to fill out the specs required. The process went really well. Mike delivered the product very quickly. We really liked his methodology of asking what we wanted to accomplish with each page instead of just putting content on the site. We gave them the branding elements we had and an idea of what we wanted. Mike had also helped us to update our branding. Mike mocked up the direction to go and was able to get 80% of what we wanted in the first draft. There were a few iterations because we were in the process of rebranding at the same time.

Mike is an expert in WordPress and that’s what he recommended for us. We love it because it allows us the ability modify things very easily. Before this, we had a site where the user registered on the same site and was fully integrated. Now we’ve removed that complexity on the backend which allowed us to move toward an educational front. We now have the core programs, the educational marketing, the key pieces, etc. to drive the user to registration. We needed to build out the content to make it user friendly, educational and aesthetically pleasing. It was a fairly simple site overall.

When we first started working with Sayenko, they were a pretty small team and Mike would give some work to his contractors to help on the project. I think we had three people working on the project. One time we had a call with Mike and another person who was an expert in helping with the crafting of specific words for SEO.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I knew Mike already and had met him a few times. I had seen some of this work and felt he was a great person to talk to. I reached out to him for help with our project because I felt very confident in him and the integrity of his work.

We spent under $10,000.

The project was completed in six weeks during the year 2015.

I don’t have any metrics. We looked at Google Analytics and Mike worked with us on that. We’re seeing traffic from multiple sources but no direct metrics. We’ve had a lot of compliments about our site.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Our main point of contact was Mike. They had a very detailed, thorough process and followed through and were very good at listening to our feedback. I had a team member from our side handling the process and from what I heard, it was very smooth.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

He’s thorough, detailed and has a real eye for the customer experience. He understands what it takes to have the site be visible to be able to achieve the goals we have. I loved working with him from the aspect of integrity, openness, and communication. I still use them for updates and I’ve referred business to them so that says a lot about how much I like them.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I’m a big picture person so I don’t really want to dive into the details, whereas Mike loves the details. I learned very quickly to hand off the project.

Overall Score - I’m so big picture that once you get to the details, I need to jump past that. Be sure to have a detailed person manage the project.
    I don’t recall any issues.
    They’re not cheap and they’re not super expensive. It was good value for us. If you have a low budget, you might not want to go there, but if you want quality at a very reasonable price, they’re a great choice.
    Their openness and integrity in the process along with the end result matches up with your end goal.
    I have already been doing so.

Web Redesign for Building Maintenance Subsidiary

"[T]he redesign process with Sayenko was well ahead of the redesign we did with the corporate website."

July 2016 - Jan. 2017

Sayenko Design completely redesigned a subsidiary website to enhance both aesthetics and SEO. The team provided full-scale assistance from initial design suggestions to pre-launch keyword optimization.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Anchorage, Alaska
Communications Director, Facilities Management Company

Of the brand’s 13 associated websites, the site by Sayenko Design has earned the most compliments from internal and external visitors, contributing to a 7x increase in traffic. The project team’s dual UX and technical skill set ensured an attractive, modern final product.

I’m the communications director for a company, and the project we worked on with Sayenko was for one of our subsidiaries, a Hawaii-based facilities management company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We had a really dated website that lacked a positive user experience and was not search engine optimized. We had a lot of challenges, both aesthetically and technically, as far as driving traffic to the website and getting consumers and buyers to make a decision once they got there.

Sayenko did a full redesign of our old website. We went through an initial design phase where they came up with comps for what the site would look like based on surveys we’d completed. In the surveys, we outlined not only aesthetically what we were looking for but also what we were hoping to accomplish with the website, including who our target audience was, their profile, what kind of decisions we were looking for our customers to make once they got to the website, and how we could build the website to make sure that it was driving them to make those decisions or address that call to action.

Sayenko provided design comps that addressed some of those needs, and we reviewed them and provided feedback. They came back to us with revised comps, and then we got into the second phase, which was building the website. Sayenko created the website, and we did the copywriting on our end. We did have Sayenko do some SEO-specific copywriting on about 3 or 4 pages that we were looking to target for SEO. Sayenko made sure those pages were optimized with the appropriate keywords, and then we went into the final review and launch phase, which was more of an internal process.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

We reached out to several firms before choosing Sayenko. Our company is based in Anchorage, Alaska, and our corporate website was built by another Alaskan company. Just by the nature of being in Alaska, there’s a limited skill set and resources in web design and SEO specifically available here. Typically, when you look at website vendors, they’re either really good at SEO but not aesthetics, or they’re good at aesthetics but not the SEO.

We knew we wanted to look outside of Alaska to find someone that would be able to meet both of those needs. We looked at companies on the West Coast because we wanted someone who was closer to our time zone for working purposes, so we looked at several firms throughout Seattle and in the greater Washington area. I think we also looked at a couple in Oregon and California. Ultimately, we found Sayenko’s proposal to be closer to what we were looking for, and it was within the scope of our budget.

One of the main goals for the redesign of the subsidiary website was to drive traffic to the website and to leverage that as a marketing tool. Sayenko seemed to have a really strong skill set in that area; SEO seems to fall well into their wheelhouse.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I think we invested between $10,000 and $20,000 with Sayenko Design.

We probably started working with Sayenko in mid-2016, and we launched the website at the beginning of 2017. I would say the project was probably a 6-month process. I think Sayenko’s process is typically a little tighter. The end of the project was delayed on our end with getting loose ends tied up and making sure the content was reviewed, approved, and finalized. We also had some complementary projects, such as a video for the website, that were happening simultaneously that held it up a bit. Based on Sayenko’s process, the project probably would have taken about 3 or 4 months. Going forward, Sayenko will be our main design vendor, so we have a monthly contract with them where they’ll do updates to the website and the content management system and provide technical support as needed.

It’s still early for us to have hard metrics because the website was only launched in January. I think SEO stuff can take up to a year before you know where you sit. We checked the website about a month ago, and the traffic had gone up sevenfold. But, it’s hard to look critically at that because a lot of the traffic may be due to the fact that it’s new, we have employees visiting the site, etc. I wouldn't use that figure as a good benchmark, but at least it’s promising.

We have about 13 subsidiary companies, and this website is by far the best we have right now. We’ve received a lot of complimentary feedback from our other companies who are now looking to do something similar because of the quality of this project.

I don't think our team is leveraging the website as much as they could from a sales and an SEO standpoint, but that’s more of an internal issue than it is an issue with Sayenko. Our team does not have a dedicated website manager, so in terms of updating the blog and site, it could be a lot better. Again, we’ve gotten a lot of anecdotal feedback from other business leaders saying that they’ve been impressed with the website.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

I worked mainly with the owner, Mike, who is great, and another gentleman, Matt, I believe. I know they’re a relatively small team. Mike was the project manager and kind of our overarching point of contact. He drove the visuals and the strategic direction of the website, and then Matt did more of the technical work and helped us with some of the SEO copywriting. He also helped with uploading content and images as we finalized those on our end, and I believe he was also developing the pages.

Sayenko did really well from a project management standpoint. I think they struggle with some of the same limitations that any firm of their size does; because they’re a small team, there are always going to be little kinks or hiccups related to that. We did have to work through some of those challenges, but overall, they did a good job of managing the project and driving the process forward, and the product was great as well.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

We have the experience of redesigning both our corporate website and our subsidiary website, and the redesign process with Sayenko was well ahead of the redesign we did with the corporate website. The subsidiary website is much more user-friendly, including the content management system on the backend, which is focused for our organization’s workers. Our employees, who are not technical or IT-specific, are able to use it and manipulate graphics and text pretty easily, whereas we’ve had a number of issues with our corporate website. There’s a huge contrast between both websites.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

The only challenge we faced a couple of times throughout the project was regarding change orders, and I think that goes hand-in-hand with any IT-related project. With website design, particularly when you’re working with people who are not web designers, you don’t know what you don’t know. There were a few instances where our team ran into things that we knew we wanted, and Sayenko would come back and say, “That feature will cost you another $1,000.” We had assumed that we would be building a standard website. I think there was a little bit of a communication gap in the initial process, especially when you’re dealing with non-technical people who might not be flagging issues, such as a sticky menu bar that still shows no matter how far you scroll down the page. Things like that that you wouldn’t think to outline in an RFP [request for proposal] because you're not a website person, but when you get there, you realize, “Oh, we really do need that.” It might have been nicer to know some of those things up front that would be recommended to include on the site, rather than having to come back and do change orders down the road. But, I think that’s just a learning process for both sides.

Overall Score There are always going to be hiccups and issues, but overall we had a positive experience with Sayenko.
    I think there were a few instances where we ran behind on some things, in part due to miscommunications and not being able to meet face-to-face. Sayenko addressed those issues pretty quickly, and they were responsive when we needed something immediately.
    I think that websites can cost up to $100,000 nowadays when you're doing custom sites. For Sayenko to do something of this quality in the $10,000–$20,000 range is pretty remarkable.
    We had a couple of minor struggles with Sayenko that I think are standard with any project of this scope, but overall our experience was positive.
    I’ve recommended Sayenko to other companies within our family of businesses.

Responsive Site Design for Kayak Tourism Company

"Sayenko did great from a project management standpoint. We always knew where they were and what they were doing."

Jan. - Feb. 2017

Sayenko Design performed a complete redo of a kayak expedition website, providing a responsive look and feel to create a more professional image.

Gustavus, Alaska
Gary Carlson
President, Spirit Walker Expeditions

Through Sayenko Design’s efforts, the site’s mobile bounce rate decreased by nearly 25% after the update process. The team’s reasonable price point, clear communication, and proactive project management facilitated a great short-term collaboration.

I’m the president of Spirit Walker Expeditions. We offer guided sea kayaking trips in Glacier Bay, Alaska.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

We had an 8- or 9-year-old website that was not responsive, and we needed to update it and turn it into a responsive site.

We had a limited budget, but we basically needed to redo our whole website. I talked to a number of different companies, and Sayenko was the only one that could do the project in our price range and appeared to have the capabilities to do it well. They had a thorough intake process, and we had a number of review processes and iterations that we collaborated with them on. That process went really well.

They built the site on WordPress, we populated it with content and photos, and then we launched it. The site is a pretty standard WordPress site. Given our budget and our needs, we didn't want anything too intricate. Sayenko also made it a lot easier for us to manage our calendar, which was great. I don't know how custom that was.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I got recommendations from friends, and I also looked for companies online. Sayenko was referred to me by another company that usually didn't do projects this small, but they knew that Sayenko often beat them on price for projects of this size. I thought that was a good recommendation.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I feel comfortable saying we spent less than $10,000.

We started working on the project in January of 2017 and ended in February of 2017. I assume that if we want to update the site or make changes, we’ll go back to Sayenko to do that. We don't have anything else planned right now.

One of the biggest things that drove us to make a responsive site was the bounce rate we saw from our mobile visitors. That bounce rate appears to have decreased by about 20% to 25%.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko did great from a project management standpoint. We always knew where they were and what they were doing. They let us know when they needed stuff from us. That worked well. We mostly used email to communicate. They used a prototyping tool to share designs with us and allow us to make comments. I don't know if that falls under the project management side, but that was the only bit of technology we used for communication other than email.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

We had a very tight budget. I would have liked to have had another $4,000 or $5,000 to do the work, but they took the project, even though it was small; they gave it their full attention and built a solid website for us that had a good visual design, which was more than I was expecting.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I don't know if this should have been in their service or not, but it would have been nice if they had helped us think a little bit more about transitioning from our old site to our new site in terms of maintaining URLs or doing redirects. I’m not sure that was necessarily part of their mandate, though, given the tight budget we had.

Overall Score It was great.
    Sayenko met all of their deadlines.
    Sayenko’s cost was great. They redid our site, and I couldn't find anyone else to do the work for this price.
    Sayenko did everything they said they were going to do, and it all works well.
    I certainly would recommend that folks consider Sayenko.

Web Design for Boutique Sports Management Company

"He’s very realistic on the timeline and he always delivers."

2013 - Ongoing

Sayenko Design created a WordPress website for a small sports management company to refine their professional image. They have created similar WordPress sites for multiple clients of the company, as well.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Merhawi Keflezighi
Founder, HAWI Management

Sayenko has a good eye for understanding the client's vision. The team is diligent in project management and communication, especially in implementing feedback. The sites and landing pages they have built are effective in achieving the end-goal of engagement.

HAWI Management is an athlete management company that represents track and field athletes as well as world-class triathlon athletes. I’m the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

I wanted to have a more professional and vibrant website to make a good first impression on people we may not meet in person and it may be the first place they go when we give them a business card.

The site was built on WordPress and is pretty simple. The site looks professional and is mobile friendly and easy to navigate. It has some video incorporated into it and a very nice landing page. The website is hosted on their server.

I have worked with Sayenko on several other websites for some of my clients as well. One of them started out as a simple site but has grown over time to include e-commerce, social media, videos, photos, etc. I’ve worked with Mike to continue to update the site in terms of content, layout, and e-commerce. It’s been fun to watch the website grow.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

I knew Mike Sayenko when he was an Olympic trials marathon qualifier. He was just getting his business started and I’ve seen it evolve into one of the best in the industry.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I’ve spent over $10,000 with them for both of the projects I mentioned.

We started working together in 2013, and the work is ongoing.

We also have a submission form on our website, so we get a lot of leads for speaking engagements and prospective sponsors for my client. We also have a specific outreach for anyone interested in having my client coach and consult with them to help improve their running. So those are inquiries that come to our inbox on a regular basis. That shows that people are coming to the website and navigating it in such a way that they’re getting to know who we are and are eager to interact with us.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko Designs under-promises and over-delivers. He lets you know what he’s capable of doing, what the timeline is, and what the costs are. I work directly with Mike and we communicate mainly through email and attached documents.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

I really like the process Sayenko has for identifying exactly what the client wants. Sometimes there is a misunderstanding between what the service provider can provide and what the client is looking for. Mike and his team do a good job of making sure there’s clear communication on what the expectations are from the client. Once the expectations are clear, in writing, and authorized, then they execute on that plan. He let me preview the site before launching it making sure I was satisfied with the results.

I know Mike does SEO really well but we haven’t utilized that as much because we’re not looking for tons of hits on our site. We just want to make sure that the people that find the website have a great experience. He’s a big advocate of SEO to make sure the website is a top hit for your industry, so we may utilize that more in the future. The timeliness has always been great and that’s been an issue with other firms I’ve used. He’s very realistic on the timeline and he always delivers.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

No. So far, everything has been good.

Overall Score I’ve really enjoyed working with Mike, learning from him, and having a system. Now that we’ve done a couple of websites together, I know what to expect and I’m better prepared to be a good partner to him and vice versa.
    They have always delivered on time. Sometimes when I have a sense of urgency and I need something done quickly, it may be unrealistic of me and I like that Mike and his team are able to give me a more realistic timeline.
    I’m not aware of the pricing of other firms. I know it’s expensive and sometimes I feel I’m paying a premium. At the same time, I would prefer to pay a premium for great service and meeting deadlines.
    The quality is great.
    I’ve referred him already and will continue to do so.

Sub-Domain Development for Theatre Association

"Sayenko Design was always clear and upfront."

Sayenko Design built a custom WordPress website to showcase a company’s services. They offered thoughtful solutions and successfully optimize the site’s potential.

Marketing, PNTA

Sayenko worked diligently and professionally to deliver a beautiful website at a good value. They were proactive about getting what they needed to do their job well.

I’m the head of marketing at a theatrical supply house that does event engagements, rentals, builds, and draperies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sayenko Design?

Because our company does so many different types of business, one website didn't really reflect all of those different areas incredibly well. We'd received an enthusiastic recommendation for Sayenko Design from one of our business partners, so we engaged them to do a specialty subdomain for our event services group.

We contacted Sayenko Design and exchanged a few emails, and then they came to us to figure out who we are and what we’re about. We discussed the process and what the division of work might be, and then they gave us some options, which included everything from a bare-bones site to the dream site we could have with an unlimited budget.

Once we determined where we wanted to be on that spectrum, they used WordPress to build the site. One person worked on the site’s design and infrastructure. Another one really worked on keyword discovery and copy. They were really good at keeping on our case to provide them with customer testimonials, event images, and other content pieces that would make the site effective.

What event services does is provide the technical underpinnings of a successful live event. That means lighting, sound, video, and staging. Sayenko Design helped us figure out how to effectively communicate what event services is, and what our customers are getting when they hired us. Now, we have an incredibly visual website that is divided into appropriate event types and customer categories with keyword-ranked information about each event.

How did you come to work with Sayenko Design?

We belong to an industry association that recommended Sayenko Design to us out of the blue. The people within the event services department had been pushing for a more robust and focused web presentation. I've launched a lot of websites in the course of my 15-year career, and when I spoke to the people at Sayenko Design, you could tell that they absolutely knew what they were doing. They knew best practices, and they had a keen grasp of effective workflow and project management. We didn't even bother bidding out the work. We received a strong recommendation and the initial interview went well, so we went forward with them.

How much have you invested with Sayenko Design?

I want to say we invested around $5,000 with Sayenko Design.

Unfortunately, around the same time that the new website was launched, our event services department experienced substantial personnel changes, so we really stepped back from promoting the site during that time of upheaval. The website is still active today, but I would have a difficult time giving you any hard metrics on it. The current people running the department have absolutely made use of it — not as much as we’d hope, but it has been updated to a certain extent. It’s being maintained appropriately; Sayenko Design and our team are occasionally adding content. The website continues to be a useful marketing tool that drives good leads.

How did Sayenko Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Sayenko Design was always clear and upfront. We used emails and phone calls to stay in touch. They had no problems sticking to their deadlines, and they were good about prompting us to provide the content we had agreed to provide. I know the entire process would have been much faster had we been providing the assets requested of us in a more timely manner. At no point were things lagging because of Sayenko Design.

What did you find most impressive about Sayenko Design?

Sayenko Design was professional and efficient, and they provided a fair value for the price. I wish our own internal issues had not gotten in the way of maximizing the value of the great new tool they had provided us; what they did provide was exactly what we needed.

Are there any areas Sayenko Design could improve?

I can’t think of any ways Sayenko Design could improve. They did a fantastic job.