Strategize, Market, Grow

RSO Consulting is a full service, data-driven online advertising and marketing firm specializing in search engine optimization, paid search management, social media optimization and web analytics consulting. We are Google AdWords and Google Analytics Certified, and with offices in San Francisco and Spain, we provide customized services to a number of businesses around the globe.

Our firm combines tested strategies with the latest best practices to guide our client’s online marketing campaign to the next level For over 15 years, the employees of RSO Consulting have been providing their online advertising and marketing skills across multiple verticals and industries including healthcare, technology, retail, biotech and law, to name a few. Our team of dedicated client managers and online marketing professionals can speak multiple languages including Spanish, Chinese, French, Thai, Farsi, German and Korean. This benefit has allowed our clients to seamlessly advertise in different markets. Truth be told, RSO Consulting delivers all the benefits of an in-house online marketing team, but without the inherent overhead and staff management challenges. The success of our dynamic, specialized services are proven by our long track record of satisfied clients. Our clients choose us for our ability to combine effective online advertising and marketing services with the highest standard of personalized customer care.

2006
San Francisco, CA
  • 155 Sansome St. Suite 530
    San Francisco, CA 94104

The Coleman Company, Eucalyptus Systems, SkyHigh Networks, Helmetcity.com, FrontDeskAnywhere.com, Attune Foods

Full-Service Digital Marketing for Apartment Complex

"RSO Consulting knows how to enhance campaigns and provide useful insight."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

RSO Consulting provides full-service digital marketing support. They manage social media posts, including Facebook and LinkedIn campaigns, and implement other PPC efforts.

Illinois
Property Manager, Apartment Complex

So far, the engagement has fulfilled expectations and produced strong results for the business. The RSO Consulting team has been a dedicated partner during the multi-year collaboration. Their attentive nature and unique insights make them a valuable addition to the campaigns.

I’m the property manager for an apartment community.

What challenge were you trying to address with RSO Consulting?

We hired RSO Consulting to provide full-service digital marketing for our company.

RSO Consulting handles our social media presence. They provide suggestions for posts, create monthly plans, and publish content online for us. Their team manages our Google Ads and PPC campaigns. Their team runs our efforts on LinkedIn and Facebook, as well, to grow our site’s following.

Rob (Founder, RSO Consulting) was our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with RSO Consulting?

I wasn’t involved in the search process, but a member of our marketing department brought RSO Consulting on board.

We’ve been working with RSO Consulting since January 2016.

Working with RSO Consulting has helped grow online engagement with our business. We’re pleased with the results and will likely continue with these efforts because of the impact.

How did RSO Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

They excel in managing the work and communicating with our team, mainly through email. It’s great having a primary point of contact because Rob is always available for us and follows up personally. If I need anything, regardless of the time difference, I hear back from their team quickly. We have an ongoing to-do list that is used by both sides and keeps everyone up-to-date.

RSO Consulting knows how to enhance campaigns and provide useful insight. It’s wonderful that their team is available around the clock and communicative. They’re always ready when we need support.

There’s nothing I suggest they improve.

Let them know what you need and what your goals are. Take advantage of their advice and ability to improve your efforts.

Overall Score They’re the best.
    They work well within our budget.
    We’ve already recommended them.

Digital Marketing for Emotional Awareness Training Tool

“The whole team is dedicated to making everyone involved better by the end of each project.”

May 2016 - Ongoing

After initially coming onboard as a digital marketing consultant, RSO Consulting has expanded their role to SEO and paid advertising management. They track analytics and provide ongoing campaign support.

Business Director, Emotional Awareness Training Group

RSO Consulting’s data has been pivotal in guiding the site rebrand. Besides boasting a diverse skill set, the team works hard to educate internal stakeholders to make better business decisions. They produce quick turnarounds, even under tight deadlines, and offer critical marketing insights.

I’m the business director of a small company that runs an e-commerce training website. We provide public training tools and educational materials to promote emotional awareness. Our goal is to enhance people’s ability to accurately interpret facial expressions.

What challenge were you trying to address with RSO Consulting?

Prior to working with RSO Consulting, our website didn’t have any SEO strategies in place, and we hadn’t set up our Google Analytics. As a result, we didn’t have a lot of visibility and lacked insights about our audience. Rob (Founder, RSO Consulting) and his team partnered with us to set up our digital marketing efforts and continue to support us.

In general, Rob manages all of our SEO and paid advertising campaigns. Anytime we have a project, whether it’s a MailChimp blast, newsletter, or A/B testing for our site, he tracks all of our metrics and presents them to us in comprehensible ways. We then use his data points to further improve our business strategies.

His team also helps us with our digital marketing needs. This has ranged from updating our site to be more SEO-compliant to optimizing our blog content. Recently, they’ve supported us through a rebrand, and we now continue to use them for ongoing digital marketing services.

Rob is our go-to contact for most projects. He leads a team of specialists, bringing in different resources depending on the task. We’ve worked with one individual who helps us optimize our blogs, and there are others who handle site modifications. For A/B testing, they provide a dedicated team.

How did you come to work with RSO Consulting?

We wanted to become more informed about digital marketing practices so that we could make smarter business decisions regarding our website. After taking an SEO 101 course that Rob happened to teach, we ended up bringing him on as a consultant. Since then, he’s done far more than we’ve originally asked, but Rob ultimately makes sure that we have an SEO strategy in place and are monitoring it.

We’ve worked with them since May 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

RSO Consulting’s data has played a crucial role in our rebrand this past year. As part of the initiative, we decided to launch a new version of our website, changing the content and streamlining certain processes. Rob’s work drove many of our decisions. He broke down all of the digital marketing data that he’s collected from our campaigns to help us revamp our site. A great part of our current success can be directly attributed to his efforts. At the moment, we’re looking to set up additional A/B testing to push our numbers even higher.

How did RSO Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

It's incredibly easy to work with them. There have been cases when we’ve given them hard deadlines with almost no time to think about the project, and they’ve still met our schedules. To coordinate our projects, we use a combination of Slack for instant communication, email for sharing large files, and Notion as our project management hub.

Rob brings such a personal touch to the partnership. Not only is he invested in our company’s success, but he’s also a great teacher who cares about our professional growth. He’s more than happy to do what he can to educate us, even if that means we won’t necessarily need his help as much for certain projects. The whole team is dedicated to making everyone involved better by the end of each project.

No, there’s not much that I would change. Maybe it would be nice if we could communicate more with the other team members, but that might be too many cooks in the kitchen. In the end, I trust the processes that they have in place.

Be open-minded and flexible with your end goals because Rob and his team can probably magnify the results if given the chance.

Overall Score We have gone through quite a few changes since the initial engagement. Regardless, they’ve worked with us and always maintained a can-do attitude.
    We’ve had no major issues and have always been pleased with the results.
    As a small company, we have to be mindful of our spending habits. But, from my understanding, they’re incredibly affordable for the returns.
    There’s always room for improvement, but I’ve rarely (if even) been dissatisfied with their responsiveness and turnaround.
    They’ve impressed me wholly, and I have no problem recommending them.

Leading Outdoor Gear Manufacturer SEO

“They are very nimble, and we work with them very efficiently. That is one of the things I like about them.”

RSO Consulting improved SEO and performed PPC advertisement for an outdoor gear provider to increase online sales and build a marketing strategy.

Denver Metro Area
Global Director of Innovation, Outdoor Supplies Manufacturer

RSO Consulting succeeded in increasing conversions and driving more traffic to the site. The team is innovative and always puts forward new ideas. The team's small size is especially valuable because they are personable and efficient.

Please describe your company.

We are a very large provider of outdoor and camping gear.

What is your role and responsibilities?

My role is in [global direct innovation insights], and I also manage the Web business.

What was your goal for working with RSO Consulting?

The goal was using SEO [search engine optimization] to increase our online sales, as well as the PPC [pay-per-click] campaign. The overall goal was to drive revenue and build our SEO strategy.

RSO supported us with SEO. They provided management and an advisory role in the campaigns. We had some social media marketing as well, but it was mainly the execution.

What was your process for selecting RSO Consulting with which to work?

We used RSO as a vendor before this project.

That is confidential.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They helped us in driving traffic to the website. Traffic has increased, and they contributed to conversions as well.

I don’t consider them to be like the big-box agencies. They are very nimble, and we work with them very efficiently. That is one of the things I like about them.

They bring us new ideas and new ways to do things. I think that improving that process and being able to implement them quickly is something that I’m working through. This is mostly on our end and a little bit on their end.

I would highly recommend them. I have recommended them already.

Eucalyptus Software SEO Campaign

"They think like marketers, not just consultants."

RSO Consulting increases website traffic for a cloud-based software through SEO and SEM. The team also helps with social media ads and monitors the effectiveness of various advertising campaigns.

Boston Metro Area
Sr. Manager of Demand Generation, Eucalyptus Software

The team explains metrics in an easily-digestible way and is very proactive in cutting unsuccessful campaign elements. There has been an increase in website traffic and conversions as a result of RSO’s efforts. The team is organized, responsive, and goal-oriented.

Please describe your company.

Eucalyptus is a software company that makes open source, private cloud software that is compatible with Amazon Web Services. We allow any organization that creates software or does development and testing to create applications to create their own private cloud on premises behind their firewall. They can move that application to the public cloud, or vice versa if they want to.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am senior manager of demand generation. I handle everything from awareness to helping to create opportunities for the sales reps. That includes AdWords, PPC [pay-per-click], display, content marketing, and creation of blog content, as well as helping with the content creation of the website and other demand generation activities. That includes trade shows, conferences, meet-ups, and webinars.

What was your goal for working with RSO Consulting?

We wanted to take our SEO [search engine optimization] and SEM [search engine marketing] efforts to the next level to help increase website traffic and push people through our own buyer's journey. That helps familiarize them with Eucalyptus, downloading the software, and then turning them into paying customers.

They also helped us with social media ads. I still consider myself to be new to social media marketing. They helped provide structure and rigor to the ads I had created, and then monitored the effectiveness of those ads. They doubled down on channels and campaigns that were working. They eased up on the gas pedal on channels and campaigns that weren’t working. They definitely helped in that area. They provided us with a reference to a graphic designer that they use, and whom we now rely on quite a bit, because we don’t have in-house graphic design skills.

This is ongoing work. We plan to continue with RSO, and as we see the results of all the hard work that they are putting in, we hope to continue and even increase the time spent with RSO.

What was your process for selecting RSO Consulting with which to work?

We started with RSO based on a reference. At the time, our marketing VP had worked with RSO in the past and had nothing but praise for them.

We capped the work at a ceiling of $3,000 a month. Most of the work is a mix of SEO and social marketing, plus PPC. It's about 30 or so hours a month.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We have seen an increase in website traffic and conversions on the website through the forms.

Are you satisfied with their work?

What we like about them is that they are patient especially since I'm new to social marketing. Also, they always took the time to explain the "why" behind certain actions. Previous consultants just told us what to do, but they couldn’t explain why we needed to do it.

RSO took the time to say, "If you do this, you will see these results, and here is why we think you should do it." What I admire about RSO is that they think about the end results first. Most of the time, it's about driving quality conversions, or leads that will not only convert, but also turn into opportunities that our sales team can convert. They think like marketers, not just consultants.

They are very organized. Our account manager is very responsive and quick to put things into action. They are strategic. They know the levers and dials, and can also bring it up a level to tell us the direction we want to head.

RSO has a lot of experience, which combines intelligence with the guts to challenge a question. They will ask me why I want to do something and what the goal I’m trying to achieve is. They will walk me through the whole process to either uncover more questions or make me rethink why I’m doing something. At the end of the discussion, I will know that it's the right thing to do, or perhaps we should think about it a bit more before pursuing it.

I can’t think of anything. I had a steep learning curve and was trying to soak up everything. Even now, I have more of a hands-off attitude, and I let them manage the day-to-day work and report the results to me. Every week, we go through the KPIs [key performance indicators] that tell me whether the ship is being steered in the right direction. Thankfully, it is. Perhaps in the future, I'll take a more hands-on approach as I gain experience. What I needed, and what the company needed, ran on a modest budget and worked out perfectly.

If they ever go over budget, it's only because we’re throwing more work at them.
    I would definitely recommend RSO to anyone who is new to PPC or social media marketing, or even someone who is more experienced.

Frontdesk Anywhere Online Marketing

"I knew that their suggestions were good for us, not for themselves."

RSO Consulting performed SEO and SEM for a property management SAS for 2 years. The relationship has now shifted and the team works with an in-house marketing director to optimize AdWords and AdRoll.

Online Marketing Manager, Frontdeskanywhere.com

The team sends out status reports and suggestions every week based on current metrics and trends. RSO Consulting has improved website traffic by 40%. An extra team member was brought on to learn specifically about property management systems, which helped enormously and showed great dedication.

Please describe your company.

Frontdesk Anywhere is a property management system and an SAS [statistical analysis system] company that provides property management system software to hospitality properties like hotels, motels, and so on. As an SAS company, everything goes online. We have 20 employees and are located in San Francisco.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the online marketing manager, and I am responsible for everything regarding marketing. I am responsible for SEO [search engine optimization], SEM [search engine marketing], inbound marketing, social media marketing, and lead generation.

What was your goal for working with RSO Consulting?

I started working here toward the end of 2013, but RSO had been working here for two years already. We wanted to bring on someone to handle the search engine marketing in-house. I was hired to do that. RSO Consulting was very understanding and professional about that decision. Now that I’m also responsible for this, they are working together with us to optimize what we are spending on Google AdWords and several other networks including AdRoll for the retargeting campaign.

RSO's responsibilities are to manage all of our campaigns in Google AdWords and AdRoll and to reduce the cost per leads for them. They sent out status reports and suggestions every week based on their experience and knowledge.

Sometimes, they come to our office to join our discussions. They are part of the team, and they spend time here for advising or consulting work.

They are not responsible for SEO at all. Every two weeks, we meet and they talk about SEO. They have a suggestion list based on the keywords that they are targeting for SEM and based on the negative keywords that I give them. They find some themselves. We talk every day, and they really help us here.

What was your company's process for selecting RSO Consulting with which to work?

Our company's co-founder and CEO knew RSO's principal. They also interviewed other candidates as well.

Six months ago, they worked about five or six hours per month. Because the AdWords campaign was already running, we had two 30-minute meetings each month to discuss what was happening. They were optimizing it.

When I was hired here, that five hours went to about 10 or 12 hours a month. We talk about the AdWords campaign every day to optimize it.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They helped us improve by 40 percent. For the two years that they worked here, it was around the same number.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

It's not easy to work with a consulting company that doesn’t have the expertise that the company has. It’s not just about their team. It involves all consulting companies, and it is hard for them to understand. For a startup like us, we don't always know all the industry trends either.

The relationship was normal, like any other consulting company. After the first two years, we started to dig into the market. Therefore, we are very satisfied with what RSO did. They accepted what they didn’t know, which is a huge step. They learned about the patterns in our market and what was going on. They added another member to their team, and she was in contact with me every day and started to learn about what we were doing in our markets. That is the best way to do this. Even if a company knows about online marketing, they need to know about the specific market that they want to serve. They did this pretty well. They might know more about property management systems than I know myself.

They were very honest about what can work and what cannot work. Other companies I’ve worked with did not look long term. RSO does think about long-term goals, even if it might cost them in client fees. They really care about our work and doing the right thing.

I have seen things differently than RSO a few times, when we were talking about different strategies. I knew that their suggestions were good for us, not for themselves.

Perhaps they could have looked into our markets earlier. That is something that they changed. SEO and SEM are two different things. If you want to have an SEM campaign like Google AdWords or AdRoll, that team also needs to be responsible for SEO. Their opinion was even though they could take responsibility for SEO, they were two different things. I believe they could do a better job to focus on some integrated services that they could offer, such as SEO and SEM, as well as social media marketing. Integrating SEO in SEM could be one of their few weaknesses.

Motorcycle Helmet Retailer Online Marketing

"They really know what they’re doing in this space and are real experts in Google Analytics."

RSO Consulting helps an online motorcycle helmet retailer with PPC, social media, and marketing with the goal of creating more site traffic and increasing overall sales.

CEO, Motorcycle Helmet Online Retailer

There has been tremendous success with PPC and search engine campaigns, leading to a 100% increase. RSO Consulting understands the SEO space and produces good-quality work.

Please describe your company.

We are an online retailer and sell motorcycle helmets. We do a lot of online advertising. We’ve been in business since 1996 and online since 1997. We have one small retail location where we do our order processing, but we do very little retail there.

I’m the CEO.

What was your goal for working with RSO Consulting?

My goal was to gain new visitors to our website and ultimately have more sales. They really know what they’re doing in this space and are real experts in Google Analytics. They can figure out what’s going on with our company in a hurry, and they’re very good at establishing and meeting goals.

RSO Consulting helped us with PPC [pay-per-click], social media, remarketing, and any way to drive traffic in. We also have done conversion rate work with them.

What was your process for selecting RSO Consulting with which to work?

A few years ago, a friend who is a consultant and well connected in the IT [information technology] world, told me about them. He knew of RSO Consulting and said they were the real deal, and they really are. My friend was using them for another project, and they had a meeting with them. I was impressed with their knowledge. When you’ve been in business as long as I have, you’ve heard everything and you know quite a bit, but you don’t have time to manage everything. That is where RSO Consulting came in.

It varies, but they usually put in 40 to 50 man-hours a month. The work is ongoing. They are an important part of our business moving forward.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We have had tremendous success with PPC campaigns and Google paid campaigns. When RSO Consulting took over, we were using another company. Our previous vendor was much more expensive. RSO Consulting put a lot of energy into the campaigns, and they’re very efficient in what they do. We had a similar experience with the Bing ads, and they did a great job for us. We saw 100 percent increases in our PPC campaigns.

There are so many companies out there that make promises and that haven’t been in business that long. The team at RSO Consulting knows what’s going on in the SEO space. They are in touch with what Google is doing, and they know social media very well. They have high-level people on the team. They have all the right stuff. Their level of competence stands out to me. I feel like they’re always a step ahead of me, which I don’t feel about too many people. They are able to step back and look at the big picture more than I am because I’m in the trenches all day long. I appreciate that quality.

Not really. We’ve had a lot of changes in our industry and the market. We hired them in the middle of the recession. I don’t think anybody could have done any better.

I recommend them to anyone.

Skyhigh Networks Paid Search Campaign

"Even with my minimal investment, I still got the expertise and handling of someone who had a bigger budget."

RSO Consulting manages paid search engine marketing for a cloud security company, including SEO, marketing, AdWords, and PPC.

Demand Generation Manager, SkyHigh Networks

The team has increased conversions by 15-20 clients per month. RSO Consulting treats all clients with respect and professionalism, regardless of budget. The team is very knowledgeable and takes the time to educate clients about why one option is better than another.

Please describe your company.

At Skyhigh Networks, we work in the cloud security space. We are a cloud enablement and visibility company, a startup that came out of stealth mode in February of 2013.

What is your role and responsibilities, please?

I am the director of demand generation for Skyhigh Networks. I came on mid-July 2013 as part of the marketing efforts team they were beginning to ramp up.

What was your goal for working with RSO Consulting?

In November and December of 2013, I brought RSO Consulting on board to help manage our paid search engine marketing. Working with them resulted in more, qualified leads coming to our site.

In addition to paid SEO [search engine optimization] marketing, they also do AdWords, paid search by keywords. We are also starting to do PPC [pay-per-click] outreach through programs. We're beginning programs in LinkedIn. A lot of people will come to us, self-prescribed because of the Internet and websites. Seventy percent of their time is spent upfront researching before they’re even ready to talk to a vendor. Using analytics, paid search, and finding someone to find a narrow focus on keywords that map to our solution, and people that are in the mindset of shopping for solutions is their role.

What was your process for selecting RSO Consulting with which to work?

I used Rob at a previous startup for a short time because it was acquired very quickly. I had some initial experience with him and brought him to this startup.

Skyhigh had a vendor in place when I came on board. At that time, they were just driving eyes to Web pages, and there really wasn’t an eye to demand and there was no lead conversion. We didn’t have a large budget to put behind this channel like some larger companies. Because of our minimal investment, we weren’t getting as much love from the other agency.

We invested about $3,500 to $4,000 a month. That is about 20 billing hours per quarter.

The work is ongoing, and we're doing benchmarking work now. I haven’t increased our spend until we can make a case for the areas where we can double down. In the last quarter, we spent our budget getting back on track, making sure we have good landing page copy and calls to action that map to what people are searching for online. We’ve already started to see conversions from those activities, but we're getting a little more intelligence and refined information before we make further investments. We will continue and then expand if we see success.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We went from a zero acquisitions rate because we weren't getting any conversions based on the previous company's work, to about 15 to 20 average conversions a month. We are filling out the landing page. We are seeing a higher quality of person who fills out the form as we refine them. I was very pleased to see that while those numbers seem somewhat low, the quality was quite good. We were getting executive-level people filling out the forms off the page search.

How has RSO Consulting performed?

We are very satisfied. Rob [Sanders, founder of RSO Consulting] has a great expertise and knowledge with so many tools on the page searches, such as finding the dedicated targets online with customer or prospect acquisition.

Even with my minimal investment, I still got the expertise and handling of someone who had a bigger budget. They have an affinity and passion for what they do, and they want to share that knowledge. They want to invest in people's success, whether you’re a small company with a small budget or a big company with a big budget.

Is there anything unique about RSO Consulting that really makes them stand out, compared to other companies?

I think Rob's influence at the helm is a major factor. He is able to run a boutique-type agency versus some of the bigger agencies. He shares his expertise and is very knowledgeable, yet he can be very plain-spoken. At a startup, we all have to wear a lot of hats, and we're not able to put the time and attention into these programs. I rely on a team such as RSO Consulting.

Beyond that, Rob really takes the time to educate along the way, which helps me understand the metrics. He is able to do it in layman's terms, and he doesn’t come across as being condescending about his knowledge. He is able to show us where the progress is and make recommendations based on what we're learning. Even with my minimal investment, we work with his team members and have monthly calls for specific programs. I don’t think that Rob has missed a call yet. After a while, you might expect the top-level people to drop off in working with us day to day. Rob is always there to help monitor the success or any concerns or questions we may have.

It would be more on myself, to take more advantage of their knowledge and background, of being able to beef up budgets and take some of the learning away. I'm not tapping into them enough, versus any shortcomings on their side.

Overall Score I believe they sometimes give me more time than they bill me for, such as an email, quick question, or a keyword switch.
    I have nothing to ding them on. They’ve given us great service, and their follow-through in executing for us is great.