Digital Marketing Agency - Own What's Next.

REQ is an award-winning digital marketing and brand management agency. We outpace changes in today’s rapidly evolving media landscape by bringing reputation, advocacy, brand, and business results to new heights. Offering a comprehensive suite of solutions and technologies that define, connect, and protect brands, REQ serves global companies and leaders in technology, real estate, entertainment, government, hospitality, retail, and finance.

The company has been named to both the Inc. 500 and Deloitte Fast 500 lists as one of the fastest growing companies in America, as well as Inc.’s Best Workplaces. Founded in Washington, DC in 2008, REQ has offices and employees in New York, Boston, and San Francisco.

2008
Washington, DC
  • 1211 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 400
    Washington, DC 20036
  • 79 Madison Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York , NY 10016

Technology:  Waymo, eBay, StubHub, PayPal, Red Hat, Lenovo, General Dynamics//

Associations & Nonprofits: PhRMA, National Association of Broadcasters, American Chemistry Society, UNICEF, API//

Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals: Bayer, J&J, Lilly, GSK, Pfizer, Merck//

Fast Casual, Hospitality & Real Estate: Sweetgreen, Cava, Chopt, Bibigo, Skanska, Empire State Building, The Jefferson Washington DC, Saul Urban, Miami Design District //

Brand and Marketing Partnership with Government Contractor

“REQ has the rare ability to make their unconventional ideas palatable to the corporate world.”

July 2016 - Nov. 2018

REQ provided a mix of branding and web development services. Using stakeholder interviews for inspiration, they developed a new brand identity with an accompanying tagline, brand pillars, and corporate website.

DC Metro Area
Former Head of Comms & Marketing, IT Contractor

REQ’s brand development efforts transformed the obscure brand into a highly profitable acquisition target. Their unorthodox ideas set new standards within the industry. Although their work pace was inconsistent, they were a reliable source for high-quality work.

At the time of the project, I was the head of marketing for a federal contractor that specializes in IT.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We had just merged with another company, so we wanted to reposition the brand in a way that reflected our internal changes.

We didn’t have a brand identity in the marketplace, so REQ helped us define our brand. They interviewed our stakeholders to get a sense of the image that we wanted to take on. After the discovery stage was finished, they developed a tagline and brand pillars. They also coached our marketing team so that we would be able to incorporate their brand strategy into future messaging. We later asked to work on other projects, including building a new website and producing a commercial.

The size of their team depended on the size of the task, but their CCO was involved with most projects. We also interacted with a senior account executive and a brand strategist.

How did you come to work with REQ?

We wanted to differentiate ourselves from other IT companies, so we decided to work with REQ rather than the more traditional firms that we reached out to. REQ presented us with the creative and fresh ideas that we needed to generate a buzz.

We spent between $500,000 - $1 million on their services.

Our rebranding project began in July 2016 and ended in December 2016. Our last engagement ended in December 2018.

REQ’s ingenious brand initiatives allowed us to differentiate ourselves in the marketplace. Their work also made our company a desirable acquisition target; we were eventually able to sell the company for about $10 billion, largely due to REQ’s guidance.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

To be frank, we did have a few pace-related issues. Sometimes we weren’t moving fast enough for them, and other times they weren’t producing deliverables as quickly as we expected. However, they were very easy to work with and responsive to our needs.

REQ has the rare ability to make their unconventional ideas palatable to the corporate world. It also helped that they had a good understanding of the messaging that resonated within our industry.

REQ should try to get a deeper understanding of their clients. Our partnership might have been stronger if we had more meetings with their account executive.

Branding & Marketing for US Government Contractor

"I feel that they understand us, and it’s truly a joy to work with them."

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

After conducting an initial evaluation, REQ delivered branding services and developed a website. The team delivered a brand position statement, a set of brand pillars, and a visual brand identity style guide.

Arlington, Virginia
Regina Galvin
VP Marketing & Communications, PAE

The amount of time that visitors spend on the website increased dramatically, and internal stakeholders grew to admire the impact of REQ’s services. Their team harnessed a depth of industry knowledge and delivered key market insights while retaining an amiable and collegial partnership.

I’m the vice president of marketing and communications at PAE, a global provider of business process outsourcing, intelligence analysis, and operational management services for government and commercial clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We hired REQ initially for a brand update. We were pleased with the team and the ease of collaboration, so we expanded the scope of work to include a relaunch of our website.

REQ started the engagement with an initial assessment of our business that included client, stakeholder, and leadership interviews. The team then came up with a brand position statement and a set of brand pillars using their findings from the assessment. We quickly adopted the brand pillars, and from there, they created a style guide to help us relaunch our visual brand identity.

In the second stage of the expanded project, we worked with their team to design the look and feel of our website to build and launch the new and improved pae.com. Their team has also worked with us to reposition our brand using our newly minted and refreshed branding. They’re currently working on a corporate video and several other projects for us.

Katie (SVP of Client Services, REQ) served as my primary point of contact. I also worked with Steven (Senior Brand Strategist, REQ), Katy (Project Manager, REQ), Kevin (Marketing Manager, REQ) and Liviu (Art Director, REQ).

How did you come to work with REQ?

I worked with REQ while I was at a previous employer. I remembered their professionalism and the high caliber of their work, so I decided to bring them on to partner with my current company.

We started working with REQ in February 2018, and the website launched in February 2019. Though we've finished development of the site, we have a dynamic relationship with them, and I actively seek out other opportunities to partner with their team. Our work with REQ will likely never come to an end.

Visitors to our site stay for an average of two minutes, which is much higher than the industry average. Also, our leadership team has been historically reluctant to invest in outside marketing services, and our experience with REQ has driven a cultural shift in our organization.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve worked with many other digital marketing companies, and I would rank them number one in terms of project management. We typically communicate through conference calls and in-person meetings at either of our offices. They’re also very responsive to any follow-up questions we may have.

At times, we’ve used video chat software, Skype, and messenger applications. I’ve also given them my personal cellphone number, which is a testament to the relationship I’ve built with them.

I feel that they understand us, and it’s truly a joy to work with them. They’re very respectful of our budget and the dynamics of our industry, including external and internal political factors. They’re also an experienced team that’s familiar with our competition and our position within our industry.

I’ve worked with other vendors that focus on pushing their perspective and ideas, and I’ve never experienced that with REQ. It’s very rare that you have the sense that a vendor cares about you, and I’ve felt an almost familial connection with their team. I get the sense that we’re all in this together, which is a priceless feeling.

The team is also smart and innovative. I know that we’re dealing with the cream of the crop in terms of talent and experience, and it’s evident that REQ is particular in terms of who they bring on board. We’ve greatly benefitted from the caliber of the individuals on their team.

For this reason and all the others that I’ve stated, REQ has my loyalty.

They could clone themselves. I know that they will continue to evolve with the industry and expand their services as needed.

Don’t be afraid to show your vulnerabilities. REQ needs to understand your weakness so that they can turn them into strengths. It’s tempting for a client to put on a protective face, but in every case, a client reaches out to a vendor because they need help in some area.

Be candid with REQ about your marketing weaknesses, they won’t make you feel inadequate. Their goal is to understand why you came to them in the first place, so be as open as possible.

I found them to be extremely fair in their pricing.

Website Re-design for National Trade Association

"They were a dream partner to work with."

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

REQ migrated a website into Drupal and provided strategy to revamp its branding. The site now includes an informative landing page and custom illustrations. They work on smaller assignments on an ongoing basis.

Emily Magram
Manager of Marketing Communications, Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America

The new site received enthusiastic feedback from its users. The REQ team was resourceful, patient, and had a secure grasp on the work necessary to execute the project. Their ability to simplify the technical process into laymen’s terms and work around customer schedules makes REQ a standout vendor.

I’m the manager of marketing and communications at Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of A­­­merica. We educate regulators on the impact of our members’ businesses on the American economy. I run the marketing and branding for our convention.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

Our last website had outlived its shelf-life and didn’t serve our marketing purposes. We decided to overhaul our approach to better tell our story to important stakeholders (e.g. members of Congress, regulators, consumers, other members of the industry). We wanted more than just a branding facelift; we wanted a partner in helping us rethink our communication strategy and give our tool a holistic revamp.

REQ completely redesigned our website using Drupal. It was a large project because we offer several resources on our site. They evaluated which platform would best suit our flexible needs. They also created an entirely new landing page with an industry tab which defined who we are, who our members are, and how our industry runs. I found their custom illustrations for our website very useful since our story is difficult to tell using ordinary pictures.

I communicated with Carly (Project Manager, REQ), Melissa (Account Manager, REQ), and Phenola (Senior Account Director, REQ).

Although I haven’t checked the actual site analytics since our launch, I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback from our members.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

They were a dream partner to work with. The way they translated the technical side of rebuilding a website to something I could consume and understand was very useful. They were transparent with timelines and were flexible with my schedule.

I appreciate that they brought a fresh sense of creativity to our project.

No, it was as smooth as I could’ve hoped for.

Web Development for Global Technology Company

"Their agility, patience, and penchant for creative solutions make for an effortless collaboration."

2005 - Ongoing

REQ built and now maintains two websites for a global online marketplace to house its policy advocacy networks. They provide updates, assist in grassroots campaigns, and run six social media channels.

Sr. Director, Global Technology Company

The long engagement has met all requirements. REQ reliably delivers high-quality products against tight timelines and limited budgets. They comply with strict internal policies and can scale resources as needed. Customers can expect a highly innovative team able to manage a complex portfolio.

I am the senior director of government relations for a global online marketplace.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We engaged REQ to develop and maintain two websites for our global grassroots action networks. The sites needed to display our stances on policies relating to e-commerce.

REQ built and now provides support and updates to our websites, which have multilingual and country-specific iterations such as in Australia and France. The team also helps maintain the communities that have grown on each platform. They oversee our six social media platforms and assist us with grassroots campaigns, which sometimes have as little as 24–48 hours notice. Throughout each stage, REQ accommodates our extensive vetting process that requires coordinating with our technology, InfoSec, and communications departments.

We work primarily with Eric (Chief Client Officer, REQ) who leads a larger team behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with REQ?

I’ve worked with them on past projects. They performed quality work and demonstrated integrity, so we felt they were the best partner for this project.

We started working together in 2005, and the partnership is ongoing.

REQ regularly meets all requirements. The team offers low-cost innovative solutions within their budget or the scope of their retainer contract without prompting. Even when cutbacks occur, they never try to upsell me or surprise me with costs. They scale their resources and workload appropriately without sacrificing quality or timeliness.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

The REQ team manages our relationship effectively and with flexibility. They devote extra resources to our project as needed and are willing to work weekends. They also train each incoming team member to keep them up-to-date on our project needs; that way, each person is ready to react at a moment’s notice.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Be honest and transparent about your expectations, your budget, and your flexibility. Communication is the key to a successful partnership with any vendor.

I’ve done so many, many times.

Digital Transformation for Fast Casual Restaurant Chain

"They were articulate, knowledgeable, and creative."

Mar. - Nov. 2017

REQ executed multiple content creation projects for a website and mobile application. The team identified user journeys to create new messaging and storytelling around marketed collateral.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Switzerland
Simon Joseph
Global Head of Expansion, B.GOOD Restaurants

The team streamlined the website’s navigation and leveraged backend functionalities to maximize engagement. The app now has nearly 300,000 users and user-friendly features. REQ’s communicated in a direct manner and provided valuable insight. These traits helped maximize results for branding.

I’m the global head of expansion at B.GOOD Restaurants.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We had three business challenges. First, we wanted a digital transformation to enhance our outdated web presence, which wasn’t disruptive at all. Although our company had a solid presence in New England, we wanted locations outside the region to achieve more investment from external partners. Consequently, we hired REQ to manage our digital transformation via SEO and social media platforms. Second, we wanted REQ to upgrade our locations’ physical presence, marketing, branding, innovation, and menus. Thirdly, we didn’t manage in-store customers’ journeys well. Our team needed more information and content to communicate at the store level.

We did a few projects that focused on digital and social content creation. This content described our core values around food, people, and community. At a later point, we came up with a five-point plan for improved communication and storytelling. Given the collateral that accompanied our broad menu—menu boards, external branding, and advertising—we appeared as a quick serve restaurant, as opposed to fast casual. REQ introduced new bowls, seasonal menus, and limited edition items to improve our messaging. The team then did a full-immersion into the restaurant to ascertain the customer journey. As a result, storytelling emphasized our food ethos around our four main offerings: smoothies, burgers, bowls, and salads.

Dan (Vice President, Strategy & Analytics, REQ) was our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with REQ?

B.GOOD Restaurants hired REQ before I joined the company. We reached out because they had done great work for our competitors.

We spent $200,000.

We worked together from March–November 2017.

REQ improved navigation dramatically. The backend gave us more insights into user behavior. When people came on to the site, they first looked at the menus before checking locations, our philosophy, and finally the nutritional values. Our app—which has a Google Maps integration—now has 270,000 users and has received positive feedback for its user-friendly functionalities.

Also, REQ expanded our automated messaging. Automation enabled us to respond to users within two hours, as opposed to 24. They improved our branding as well, particularly for awareness and nutritional value.

The team’s overall success was an improvement over their initial performance. At first, they were too close to our industry to bring a fresh perspective. However, their contributions were valuable and the team remained at the core of our effort.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

We had 30-minute phone calls every weekday to review progress. The team could multitask, but not everyone could move as quickly as others. They were also upfront about delays and communicated directly via phone.

We weren’t the most functional client. We were dysfunctional because there were too many stakeholders and everybody had an opinion. We had to contain that internally; that process took nearly seven months. It wasn’t supposed to take that long, but we slowed down because what was supposed to be an interim site became its own a project. REQ was ready to accommodate us, but we made an educated decision to slow things down.

Phenola (Senior Account Director, REQ) led the five-point plan. She was very articulate and took feedback well. Moreover, the team’s subsequent adjustments reflected their open approach. Their immersion in our brand experience and food demonstrated the team’s commitment.

I was used to working with large agencies on retainer. However, I appreciated REQ’s flexibility and agile approach as a smaller firm. They were articulate, knowledgeable, and creative. The team provided great content and cloud-based services. Overall, they gave us more than what we paid for.

We expected more creativity surrounding the site. Although REQ distinguished us from our competitors, the visuals could still have been more creative.

Website Design & SEO for Corporate Social Responsibility Platform

“Their team is very collaborative and responsive. … I can reach them anytime I need them.”

2015 - Ongoing

Helping increase brand visibility, REQ designed a website and provided SEO services. They also assist with writing blog posts and creating backlinks.

Virginia
Robert Sobhani
Founder and CEO, Sparo and Caspian Group Holdings

The website makes the brand stand out among competitors and the investors appreciate the user experience REQ has created. Working collaboratively with the in-house team, REQ helped accomplish all goals, while their expertise and exceptional customer service earned them trust.

I'm the founder and CEO of Sparo. We're a platform that leverages corporate social responsibility.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We wanted more people to know about our brand, so we were looking for a company to design our website and help us with branding.

We wanted to have a user-friendly and modern website that would appeal to a broad audience, but mostly millennials. We also wanted to convey the message about how companies could leverage corporate social responsibility into a double bottom line. In addition to designing our website, REQ managed SEO for it and helped us with branding. It was a very collaborative process and they accomplished all of our goals. They also write blog posts for us and create backlinks to our website.

We mostly work through a project manager.

How did you come to work with REQ?

I had a previous relationship with one of their partners.

We've spent about $60,000.

We started working with them in 2015 and the relationship is ongoing.

The website distinguishes us from our competitors and we’re happy with its look and feel. REQ was able to create exceptional user experience, which our investors like very much. We're a startup and have a limited budget, but we're hoping to raise money so that we can continue working with REQ.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is very collaborative and responsive. It was a smooth process and they met our deadlines.

They’re very creative. Also, they're timely and I can reach them anytime I need them.

I can't think of anything.

Sometimes there were delays, but we expected that.
    I'd definitely recommend them to other people.

Digital Strategy for Broadcast Trade Association

“REQ has helped us significantly expand our growth by upwards of 1,000%.”

September 2015 - Ongoing

REQ provides digital strategies and web design support to share policy information with a larger audience. They also assist with events and social media.

Michelle Lehman
Executive Vice President of Marketing, National Association of Broadcasters

REQ implements effective, creative solutions that have proven to significantly grow membership rates and overall online engagement. They've also made the website a lot more modern and user-friendly. Highly proactive, driven, and timely in their approach, they're great to work with.

I'm the executive vice president of marketing for the National Association of Broadcasters.

What challenge were you trying to address with REQ?

We hadn't seen significant engagement from our previous digital and grassroots strategy, so we reached out to REQ to help us form a coalition of like-minded individuals to promote a policy objective more effectively.

REQ helped us expand and manage a coalition that included a diverse group of people, reaching more types of listeners and viewers to help them better understand a complex policy issue and motivate them to take action with their members of Congress. In the process, REQ designed a web platform and managed it, and worked with us on live events to improve our membership and grassroots efforts. They also manage some of our social media accounts and content.

We work with four people on their staff primarily.

How did you come to work with REQ?

It's a bit unusual that we considered REQ, because we receive so many pitches from various companies each month. However, their proposal stood out to our head of digital, so we decided to engage them. It was immediately clear after meeting with them that they had some great ideas for a better digital strategy, so we were eager to work with them.

We've invested between $200,000–$250,000 thus far.

We've been working with them since September 2015.

REQ has helped us significantly expand our growth by upwards of 1,000%. They've implemented a lot of great ideas that have helped us reach more people and increase membership across digital platforms, including social media.

They've done a great job in providing an additional voice for the people in the policy debate. They've transformed our website, making it much more modern, user-friendly, and appealing overall. Encouraging us to think more creatively, they've also helped us reach new audiences.

How did REQ perform from a project management standpoint?

They're great at taking the lead and driving projects forward. Not only do they provide extra hands to help implement strategies, but they also keep us on track and are in constant communication with us to ensure timelines are met. They're also good about staying within set budgets.

They bring a lot of creativity to the table, are energetic, and driven. They take ownership in their work and keep us updated on our metrics, so we know where we stand in achieving our goals. I look forward to our meetings with their team, because they make the whole process a lot of fun.

I can't think of anything at the moment; we've been very happy with their level of service and communications.

Be upfront about business objectives, goals, and deadlines. Make the time to communicate and collaborate with REQ as needed, so they can better meet those needs.