Drive Results & Reach Goals

Metric Theory is a performance digital marketing agency with offices in San Francisco, New York City, Denver, and Orange County.

We've managed $500MM+ in ad spend for clients like GoFundMe, Carvana, Too Faced, Personal Capital, and more than 400 others. We work with companies of all shapes and sizes, and specialize in driving results for B2B technology companies, direct-to-consumer brands, consumer app companies, large ecommerce sites, and fast growing start-ups. Every client is paired with a specialized strategist familiar with their unique industry and business challenges. We speak your language.

We're numbers-obsessed, growth-obsessed, and we love working with clients and other digital marketers who are too.

San Francisco, CA
  • 85 Broad St, 17th Floor, Suite 127
    New York, NY 10004
  • 200 Spectrum Center Drive, Suite 300
    Irvine, CA 92618

GoFundMe, Zenefits, Optimizely, Tradesy, Getaround, Generation Tux, Too Faced, The Walking Company, Personal Capital, Carvana

SEM & Paid Social Advertising for Software Company

"I appreciate that everyone is an expert in their own lane, but they can all see the bigger picture together."

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

Metric Theory coordinates ongoing search engine marketing and paid social advertising campaigns for a software company. They’ve identified new target audiences and more efficient ways to operate.

Brianne Farrar
Director of Growth Marketing, Periscope Data

Metric Theory’s efforts have helped increase the quality of leads, decrease the cost per lead, and make more effective use of a large ad budget. They succeed at providing service line experts and bringing an inspiring outlook to the engagement. The team has proven to be skilled and reliable.

I am the director of growth marketing at Periscope Data. We are a business intelligence tool specializing in data visualization.

What challenge were you trying to address with Metric Theory?

When I was hired in September 2018, I decided that our incumbent digital agency was not providing the desired results. Our CPL (cost per lead) was too high, and we received low-quality leads that were not converting down the funnel.

We hired Metric Theory to manage our substantial budget for paid digital advertising. We wanted to spend our money more efficiently and find more qualified leads.

Metric Theory coordinated an overhaul of how our Google Ads were arranged. They also created new target audiences and standardized how we tracked our campaign effectiveness. Our reporting structure is more refined now, and we have a clearer path for how we map our customer journeys.

We rely on Metric Theory to manage our paid advertising presence on the Google Display Network, which includes display ads and search marketing. They also run our paid social media marketing (SMM) on LinkedIn and Facebook. Further, we are breaking into paid advertising on Bing and Reddit. We’ve introduced targeted ads because we hadn’t done those before. Metric Theory conducts A/B testing for certain ads, and I take those results to our creative team to help drive new versions when necessary.

We’ve recently converted to a marketing-qualified lead (MQL) model as opposed to a raw leads number goal. We’re a startup, and our strategy changes a lot, so everybody has to be nimble. When we made that change, Metric Theory didn’t flinch. They pivoted quickly with us, and they reorganized all of our programs to maximize the most efficient CPL.

We've worked with several members of their team in various capacities. Geneva (Senior Manager of Digital Strategy, Metric Theory) serves as our primary account lead. Zach (Senior Account Manager, Metric Theory) is our SEM channel manager, and Jeff (Account Manager, Metric Theory) handles our social channels. They've also assigned a number of support analysts across social and search channels. Finally, Brittany (Senior Director of Account Services) is our executive sponsor.

How did you come to work with Metric Theory?

Once I assumed my position, a colleague and I found Metric Theory through an online search and a vetting process of their reviews. We considered two other agencies, but it was clear through our research that Metric Theory was widely regarded as the top firm. During our interview with their team, we learned that we would have an expert assigned to each digital channel. We preferred that over scenarios offered by other vendors, which seemed to have jacks of all trades running the campaigns. Given how much money we were spending, we wanted a specialist in charge of each pipeline.

We spend around $20,000–$25,000 per month on their agency fee.

Our engagement began in October 2018 and remains ongoing.

Our channel efficiency has increased, and we’re spending our money smarter. We are much more sophisticated in the full customer journey that we’ve created in our paid advertising. For example, we were previously spending a lot of money on a display ad for a free trial offer. That ad received a lot of clicks, but it was mostly spam leads that didn’t convert. With Metric Theory, we’ve shifted most of that spend and put it into channels that we’ve identified as more profitable, such as paid search.

How did Metric Theory perform from a project management standpoint?

We have an hour-long call each week, and they send a detailed agenda before that meeting. It always runs smoothly, and they’re quick to reply to any thoughts we send their way afterward. I’ve never had a single issue.

They came to our office in January 2019 for a two-hour in-person meeting where they presented on what we’ve been doing, how we’ve changed, and how they see us growing in the future. They’re an inspiring team, they have great ideas, and they’re experts at what they do.

I appreciate that everyone is an expert in their own lane, but they can all see the bigger picture together. And they're very good at communicating that to me. Rarely do I understand the methods of paid ad agencies, but they explain all of the technical things in a very approachable way.

No, it’s been such a dream to have them. I would love more in-person meetings, but they’re not local, so I understand why we can’t do that.

Due to our company’s Salesforce restrictions, I can't give Metric Theory access to our system. I have to pull a report each week, but it’s not live data. I think Metric Theory would be even more valuable if I, or a prospective client, could give them access to Salesforce or their chosen reporting tool. That way, Metric Theory’s team can manipulate the data in real time and make changes on the fly.

PPC for Financial Services Firm

"I wouldn’t call myself an easy client, and I couldn’t be happier with the service we received."

July - Dec. 2018

Metric Theory organized PPC campaigns for a financial services firm. They took the reins of existing programs and sought to increase spend and promote scaling.

Miami, Florida
Jose Vera
Senior Director of Marketing, One Park Financial

Metric Theory managed to maintain profitability while growing the spend, mainly by identifying new areas to target. The team conducts thorough background research to become wholly familiar with new clients. Once the engagement begins, they provide personalized and committed customer service.

I am the senior director of marketing at One Park Financial. We provide funding for small businesses and help them connect with funders across the United States.

What challenge were you trying to address with Metric Theory?

In my role, I needed to build a team to handle our digital marketing strategy, particularly PPC. I knew I wasn't going to be able to find talent to bring in-house initially, so I reached out to Metric Theory.

Their objective was to take control of our existing PPC program and scale it into higher spend. They did a good job of restructuring our campaigns and getting us to a healthy level.

We worked exclusively with Joel (Director of Account Services, Metric Theory).

How did you come to work with Metric Theory?

I was familiar with Metric Theory from when I worked at a different company. We had productive conversations at that time, but we never got to work together. I reopened the discussion once I assumed my current role. They set themselves apart from other agencies I had been vetting by doing a tremendous amount of research on our company and industry. By the time we got started, they were already well-informed about our process.

We spent between $50,000–$200,000.

We worked together from July–December 2018.

They managed to grow our spend twofold while maintaining profitability. Joel did an impressive job of finding opportunities we had not yet explored. We scaled our spend very efficiently, and we scaled our business, in large part because of the spend they were managing.

How did Metric Theory perform from a project management standpoint?

Joel was incredible. We communicated every day through Slack, and we had a weekly phone call to discuss our reports. He was pretty immersed in our business. If it hadn’t been for Joel, I wouldn’t have a lot to say about Metric Theory. Joel made the difference.

The real-time customer service was very advantageous. If we needed changes in the morning or late at night, Joel would be there. He felt more like an employee as opposed to an external vendor.

We were lucky to have Joel, but I think he could have benefitted from having more resources on his end. He handled a lot of work by himself.

Be honest about the way you wish to work. We had that conversation early, and they assigned the proper account manager. I wouldn’t call myself an easy client, and I couldn’t be happier with the service we received.

Paid Advertising for Sports Group Management App

“They approach our analytics needs proactively, exemplifying their willingness to partner with us.”

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Metric Theory determines advertising strategy and monitors the return on ad spend. However, the team focuses heavily on analytics to create crossover campaigns for a customer and a business audience.

Colorado
Ken McDonald
Chief Growth Officer, TeamSnap

The paid advertising and analytics work Metric Theory provided led to an increase in B2B leads and AdWords mobile conversions year-over-year. The team’s enthusiastic approach enables them to interpret analytics to create successful B2B and B2C ad campaigns.

I’m the chief growth officer for a sports group management app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Metric Theory?

Many people are used to organizing their sports organization through email, so one of our biggest initial challenges was getting the word out about the app.

They do all the media buying and paid advertising strategy for us. We don't have someone internally on the team managing advertising, so we rely heavily on Metric Theory. They do everything from helping us figure out our ad strategy to monitoring the return on ad spend.

The biggest thing we've done with them is the analytics. We have a complex business: we have both B2B and B2C, and we have many crossover campaigns to reach both groups of customers. There’s a long conversion cycle, so it takes time to determine the value of each customer, but we always recalculate return on ad spend at a keyword or ad campaign level. Metric Theory did a lot of work to determine that calculation for us, so now we can better simultaneously target our B2B and B2C customers.

On our team, we have an Apple search expert, a YouTube expert, a Facebook expert, and our project manager, who does most of the Google and Bing work himself.

How did you come to work with Metric Theory?

We'd been working with a firm that had been recommended to us, and really liked working with the team there. When they left to start their own firm, we migrated to their new company.

We started working with them in March 2016, but we added paid social in January 2018.

Paid advertising allows us to initiate a viral cycle, and Metric’s work has significantly improved our performance. Year-over-year, we’ve seen a 300% increase in B2B leads, a 193% increase in direct YouTube B2B leads, and an 84% increase in AdWords mobile conversions.

How did Metric Theory perform from a project management standpoint?

Our account manager is superb; he does a nice job organizing people and our initiatives across our various channels. We have a real-time return on ad spend analytics with Facebook and Google to stay updated on metrics, and biweekly calls to discuss strategy and project overview.

We have a very complex analytics requirement and I know other agencies wouldn't invest the amount of time Metric does. They approach our analytics needs proactively, exemplifying their willingness to partner with us.

It can be difficult to provide the variety and quality of work we need without specializing in a particular area. Metric does a nice job of covering our paid social, and on search they go very deep, but that's the challenge of having a broad agency that covers lots of categories-- it's impossible to specialize in everything.

I've found the most important thing is to figure out at the outset of the project how you're going to measure success. If I were to start this again, I would choose to invest the time up front to figure out tracking, how to interpret metrics, and how to decide which campaigns work well.

SEM for Software Company

"They're constantly coming up with ideas for new keywords and new campaigns."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Metric Theory improves SEM for a software company. The team identifies keywords for targeting in various languages to generate more and higher-quality leads to the website.

San Francisco Bay Area
Senior Director of Digital Marketing and Operations, SaaS Company

All website leads and conversions have improved since Metric Theory came on board. The team works as an extension to the in-house team and is diligent in suggesting and implementing new keywords and campaign strategies. They employ an analysis-based approach to demonstrate improvements and competitor metrics.

I'm the senior director of digital marketing and marketing operations at a field service management software company. We sell solutions to help companies create revenue from their service organizations and optimize their field technicians to be more efficient. We operate primarily off of inbound leads. A good portion of our business comes from marketing and a good portion of our marketing pipeline comes from our website and online advertising.

My team is responsible for all online demand generation. This includes customer marketing strategy emails and customer support as well as operations, which involves routing scoring performance reports for the business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Metric Theory?

With Metric Theory, we have been building out our long tail keyword campaigns. Historically, we bid on-brand and on some core product capabilities. We had very limited exposure, and only in North America. Metric Theory helped expand our list of keywords in North America and in several other languages around the world: French, Spanish, Italian, German, and British English. In those regions, we've also expanded into industry keywords because we're now part of GE. GE sells into eight major industries that we're now selling into by proxy.

Finally, we’re working with Metric Theory on getting higher-quality leads. We moved upmarket at the end of 2015 and no longer sell to small businesses. We've been actively working on adjusting the messaging on the landing pages, copy, keywords, and negatives to highlight the fact that we only sell to enterprises and not small business.

Metric Theory focuses on paid search, so they've been doing a great deal of keyword research. We take our learnings from paid search and apply them to organic searches to see where the quality traffic is coming from and what we should be ranking for. Their work is focused on SEM, display remarketing, and YouTube. We're also branching into LinkedIn and other social advertising as well.

They're like an extension of our team as opposed to an agency that you meet with once a week and don't hear from again.

How did you come to work with Metric Theory?

I worked with Metric Theory at my previous company from 2014 onward. They were a smaller company then. We loved their focus on data analysis and digging into the numbers.

When I started in my current position, We were working with an agency that didn't have the same search marketing philosophy as me. We were spending a lot of money on LinkedIn - too much, I thought - and not very much on Google. We couldn't come to a consensus on how to make things work. So I brought in Metric Theory and they evaluated our account.

The collaboration is ongoing.

Metric Theory made improvements right away. They found a lot of areas to optimize and they had a good plan for how we could expand accounting and make it international, which everybody on the team loved.

We're seeing an improved percentage of traffic coming from online advertising. The sourced pipeline is the one that everybody looks at. If the website is our number one source for the pipeline, other kinds are number two or three, which it's never been before. We have 15 different lead sources, and it used to hover around 8 or 9.

In June, they ran an analysis and told us that 6 out of 10 web conversions originated from search engines. Whether or not they directly registered with an advertisement, they came back and they registered on the website, so the website is seeing a lift as well. That's what we were hoping, but it's a leap of faith when you expand the keywords as much as we have this year.

In addition, we've seen increased leads and high-quality leads, or HQLs.

How did Metric Theory perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a weekly standing meeting with the team where we communicate what’s happening and what we are seeing in terms of conversions. We also look at Salesforce data and see how things trickle down into high-quality leads and opportunities. If something's broken or doesn't look right and they're seeing a drop or a spike, they let us know within the day, either by calling or e-mailing us. Instead of just cost-per-lead or cost-per-click, we're looking at cost per-high-quality lead or cost-per-opportunity.

Their focus on data. Some agencies share the number of conversions and cost-per-click on a weekly basis, but don't tell you how competitors are doing week by week.

Metric Theory digs into the data and comes up with great analyses. It feels like they're only focused on our accounting. They're constantly coming up with ideas for new keywords and new campaigns as if they were looking at our website every day and trying to figure out what we could be ranking for but aren't. I haven't seen this constant focus and analysis from other agencies.

We were happy we made the jump over to Metric Theory and don't have any plans to change. We're even talking about expanding into some of the paid social channels.

Overall Score I'd say four and a half. The only thing they could do is help us with our landing page creation. They're trying to work with partners on that. Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with them.
    We haven't had any issues with account changes taking too long or missed deadlines. As far as pushing new ads or new keywords and campaigns, they're usually ahead of schedule.
    I would say 5. They were a lot less expensive than my previous agency, and I like their their cost structure. It's reasonable for the amount of work we get.
    They've done all we've asked them to and more. They're very proactive about providing feedback and options for us.
    I refer people to them all the time.