Ethical development of innovative applications

Keenethics is a solution-oriented software engineering company, based in Lviv, Ukraine and locally represented in Leiden, Netherlands.

Since 2015, we have been assisting our customers to develop and implement software products by solving business challenges and providing excellent BA, design, development, and product support services.

In 2018 Clutch.co awarded Keenethics as Top Custom Software Development Company.

Expertise:

L'viv, Ukraine
  • Lytvynenka St, 3
    L'viv 79000
    Ukraine

Mid-size companies, small businesses, and startups who are willing to digitalize their business. Companies that don't have thier own huge IT department but need development and support partner. We have achieved some of our clients getting past the MVP stage to the investment and even a second round of investment. We have helped some other clients acquire more than 4000 users.

Software Development for Global Services Platform

"Keenethics delivers the required tasks within the time frame and at high quality."

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

Keenethics created a wide-ranging web platform as a software development partner. Their team also perform QA services. The platform is prepped for global launch.

Andreas Feller
COO and Co-Founder, WorldLabs

Keenethics provided necessary resources for developing the global platform. Their team’s approach was collaborative and proactive. Their software development expertise and dedication to the project are notable strengths of the company.

I’m the COO and co-founder of WorldLabs. It is a one-stop collaboration platform that simplifies how organizations engage with their members, while simultaneously tapping into a global community of innovators.

For what projects/services did your company hire Keenethics?

We are creating a comprehensive web platform with limited resources, so we needed to rely on a highly efficient yet small team.

We wanted a platform with quality code that is reliable and scalable with the specs we defined.

Keenethics completed our trial period. They were ideal as a software development partner, giving us the additional resources we needed.

Keenethics provides software development and QA services.

Their team includes a project manager, various developers, and a QA tester.

Keenethics is instrumental in the development and launch of our project providing all the resources we need.

Their dedicated project manager makes sure that all tasks are efficiently coordinated. The communication runs smoothly between our companies.

Keenethics delivers the required tasks within the time frame and at high quality. Their expertise in software development and their dedication to our company has helped WorldLabs launch a fully functional product. Keenethics’ cost-effective and hands-on approach was an integral part of our early growth.

There’s nothing to mention at this point.

Staff Augmentation for E-Learning Platform

"Their intermediate developers produced high-quality code and efficient scripts that emphasized the app’s performance."

Aug. - Oct. 2018

Keenethics helped develop an e-learning app in Node.js, Express.js, and Angular.js 5. They created features such as a student progress tracker, a system to track admin changes, and an expanded data dashboard.

Italy
Anton Mihlin
Technical Lead, Isapiens srl

Keenethics worked seamlessly alongside the internal team and produced fast, efficient code. They accommodated expanded work-hours to meet tight deadlines and responded quickly to inquiries. Customers can expect a highly productive team that delivers high-quality products at competitive rates.

I’m the technical lead at Isapiens srl, an e-learning company. We provide services to corporations in Italy.

What challenge were you trying to address with Keenethics?

Our one-developer team needed extra resources to meet three deadlines for building a software application.

We had a partially-developed application that collected information from a learning management system and displayed it in a dashboard for clients to read, modify, and extract reports from. Before Keenethics became involved, the app had back- and frontend basis, a small dashboard, and a project page. Keenethics added more features and pages. They built and helped launch a training progress page that shows each student’s progress and a general overview of Italy’s geographical regions. They also implemented a system to track how each administrator creates or modifies information.

Keenethics developed the application in Node.js. The backend—built on Express.js—functions as an API and is completed divided from the frontend—built on Angular.js 5. The app uses modules such as Passport.js for authentication among other functions.

We worked primarily with 2–3 developers depending on the project’s needs.

How did you come to work with Keenethics?

We found them by posting a job offer on Upwork. We narrowed 50–60 proposals down to four companies. Keenethics was close to our time zone, and their team of developers and project managers provided valuable insights into how the project should continue.

We spent about $24,000.

We worked together from August–October 2018.

The Keenethics team performed well alongside our internal team. Their intermediate developers produced high-quality code and efficient scripts that emphasized the app’s performance.

How did Keenethics perform from a project management standpoint?

The team was highly accessible and responded to any inquiries within 30 minutes. We communicated and held meetings via Skype.

Keenethics accommodated two weeks of 10–12-hour days to help us meet our strict deadlines. They truly invested themselves in the project.

They write clear code, but it could use more comments.

Because I had a technical background, I interfaced directly with developers rather than with the project manager. Keenethics made the process simple for me, but their project managers are excellent if you prefer a more traditional approach.

Overall Score The project came out perfectly.
    They charge very low rates for the quality of their work.

Node.js Dev & UI for Financial Ratings Platform

"I found their sophistication on technology & keen business judgment particularly impressive."

May 2017 - Ongoing

KeenEthics designed & developed a finance ratings platform for both web and mobile. A required key functionality was a comprehensive search, tag, & filtering system, & the ability to scale.

Atlanta, Georgia
Founder, BankerAdvisor

Due to their responsiveness & patience, the collaboration itself progressed smoothly from start to finish, resulting in a high quality product & ensuring their continued engagement. KeenEthics’ skillset was exactly what was needed, & despite a language difference, communications never suffered.

I am a founder of BankerAdvisor, which is a website and ratings platform aimed at the investment banking and banking industries that is in many ways similar to Clutch. We hope to be live within the next 30 days.

What challenge were you trying to address with KeenEthics?

I hired KeenEthics to create the platform that would function as the core part of our business. My background is in finance, and although I understood the company I wanted to build and the type of website and application I wanted, we needed additional technical resources.

BankerAdvisor is intended to be a comprehensive directory and review application for learning about investment banking and merger and acquisition advisory firms. At the beginning, I provided KeenEthics with a detailed specifications document from which they then worked. They managed the user interface design and branding, as well as the app development. One vital feature that we requested specifically was a multi-varied search capability, which needed to include the use of tags for industry sector experiences and the nature of services for search refining purposes. We also wanted a way to provide prioritization for premium app registrants versus basic registrants in the database. They did their work using Node.js on the backend and JavaScript and HTML5 on the frontend.

The project is not yet finished, although phase one is close to being complete. I have already written the specification document for phase two, to which I have added commercial banking and investment management to the initial minimum viable offering. The plan is to slowly expand our range of offerings as our user base grows, so we are currently planning ahead, and I intend to keep KeenEthics on board for this further work.

Our primary code team involved three people—Yura G., our primary full stack developer; Alina K.; and Vlad O.—and our UI team involved at least two designers at any given time.

How did you come to work with KeenEthics?

When I was ready to begin the project, I conducted a series of interviews with development shops and found the KeenEthics team. Since I did not want to deal with fielding responses from a wide variety of firms, I emailed them directly to ask if they had the requisite skills for which I had been searching. KeenEthics fit the skillset in the particular technology stack I wanted.

So far, we have invested US$30,000, but we plan on spending another US$10,000-20,000 depending on the progress of phase two.

We engaged their services in May of 2017 and the work is ongoing.

Since the project is not yet finished, we do not have any concrete metrics to demonstrate the impact. However, I am very pleased with both the site and the app’s functionality.

How did KeenEthics perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed extremely well in terms of communication and working with the project manager on invoicing and understanding changes as the work progressed. From my perspective, they did an excellent job of setting expectations. I was often to blame for scope expansion, and how they adjusted and responded to the changes was excellent. We communicated primarily through email correspondence, although we also used Skype for video conferencing and Google Docs. Our regular work schedule involved weekly appointments to touch base with KeenEthics, and in between they were very responsive through both email and Skype.

I found their sophistication on technology and keen business judgment particularly impressive, especially for a younger organization. The code itself has been very reliable, tight, and reflective of their knowledge of the technology stack and of coding best practices. They have been patient working with a non-product manager who is a domain expert but not a product management or product design expert. Additionally, their command of the English language truly blew me away. The language difference has been a complete non-issue in working with KeenEthics.

They are fairly understated in their skills versus their profile. Since I believe that this firm is going to grow, my recommendation to them would be to get the word out about themselves more effectively.

Writing a detailed specification about a project and boiling down precisely what you do will make it a lot easier for the development team and project manager to understand what your goals are for the collaboration.

Overall Score My experience with them has been outstanding.
    They hit the mark on every deadline.
    I am very pleased with what I have received for my investment.
    I plan on using them again immediately for phase two.
    I am extremely likely to recommend them.

Outsourced Dev for Tech Strategy Consultancy

"They did a nice job of taking interest and ownership of the work that they did."

Aug. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Keenethics supplemented additional resources for the MeteorJS framework, integrating a payment processing functionality into an app. The team also used HTML, CSS, NodeJS, and MongoDB technologies.

Manchester, New Hampshire
CTO

Keenethics was reliable in meeting tight deadlines, delivering high quality work on time and within budget. They offered a broad range of proficiency and skills as well as friendly, personable customer service. They had no difficulty in meeting requirements and provided additional support as needed.

I’m the chief technology officer (CTO) at a technology consulting and strategy firm. We develop custom software and implement custom solutions for our clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Keenethics?

We were looking for supplemental additional resources in the MeteorJS framework, which is a JavaScript web application framework.

Keenethics helped integrate Stripe, a payment processing application. Stripe was integrated to one of our applications that we were building to allow for customers to subscribe to paid software. They helped implement that functionality within our application

The technologies that Keenethics used were primarily MeatorJS, HTML, and CSS. There was also NodeJS and MongoDB.

I’ve interacted with a total of three individuals.

How did you come to work with Keenethics?

We found Keenethics through a third-party freelancer network. We were considering three companies in total before deciding on going with Keenethics.

We’ve invested between $10,000 to $50,000.

I’ve been working with Keenethics for off and on for just about a year. We started working August 2016 and the project was finished February 2017.

The quality of work was good. We relied on Keenethics to make sure that we were able to meet some of our tighter schedules. They were able to complete things on time and on budget which was good. The proficiency and skills that Keenethics has were good. I was overall pleased with everything that they did.

How did Keenethics perform from a project management standpoint?

It wasn’t really a complex large project that required heavy project management. We were able to give them the requirements and they were able to manage communication back to us. Any necessary follow-ups were completed using e-mail and Skype.

For an offshore resource, they were very friendly and personable. They did a nice job of taking interest and ownership of the work that they did. They also provided additional support when we have a few issues. Overall, Keenethics’ personal touch was a highlight for me.

Web Dev for E-commerce Marketing Platform

"This is what is really unique about them. They feel like a business partner."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Keenethics provided development and technical assistance using a combination of Meteor JS and React for an international price comparison website network.

Leiden, Netherlands
Founder

Keenethics’s is a young company that may need to hone its message but their high level of technical expertise, friendly staff, and cost-conscious approach stood out compared to the competition. They are thoughtful in their suggestions and feedback. They feel like a business partner.

Introduce your business or organization and what you do there.
I am the Owner and only employee of a young startup company based in the Netherlands. My company is an international network of localized price comparison websites. Each site specializes in a certain theme or subject.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Keenethics?
My project began really small, but my aim is to dominate the market and to be active all around the world. I want to have a specific website for every subject . Scalability is the first priority. In the past five years JavaScript’s functionalities have grown considerably, I searched for a company that was eager to try embracing JavaScript competencies and concepts and develops a really cool project. Because I don’t have a big company and my budget is limited, I needed to have a partner that was priced okay.

Keenethics only did development. Because of my experience as an online professional, I did the whole business strategy, the design, the interaction, and the marketing myself. They are purely involved just to take care of all the technical stuff. We decided to go for the ever more popular Meteor JS plus React combination and we’re now developing in these techniques.

How did you come to work with Keenethics?
I found Keenethics by Googling specialized Meteor agencies. I did a little tender with all kinds of agencies and Keenethics was the best choice. Besides their technical skills, they’re really nice people and they quickly become involved in your business ideas and want to produce a really cool product. In the end, Keenethics is great for little startups based on the quality they deliver and the cost they ask.

Between $10,000-$20,000.

We started working with them November 2016 and have been working together since.

It’s too early because we don’t have a first version of the product ready, but it looks really promising.

How did Keenethics perform from a project management standpoint?
I’m really into having control so I’m not a regular client for them. I’m an online project manager myself and I hired them only for development work. We had about 2 or 3 developers working on the project but the project management was in my hands. You can chat with them until they go to bed and they’re always available by Skype. We do a Scrum every month where we look at new features, what we want to add, what has priority, etc. Hopefully, they continue to be my partner in the future.

What distinguishes Keenethics from other providers?
The relationship, their own ambition and what they want to do in the future were really important to me. Normally, my experience with development companies is that their business strategy is based on selling hours and most of them see a chance to bill you some extra hours just to change stuff within the project. Keenethics just sticks to the hours they initially estimated. They know and understand that nobody is perfect and nobody can predict the future or have it all written on paper before you start. This is what is really unique about them. They feel like a business partner, not like an agency that just wants to sell more hours.

Is there anything Keenethics could have improved or done differently?
They are a young agency that’s only been in existence for 2 years. They’re growing fast and doing more projects and the whole identity of the business and the agency still has to be developed. They are still trying to figure out their view on how to complete projects and what their unique selling point is compared to other agencies. They started with a vision about how things should be done, but they need to go move a new phase where they become more professional so they can sell the things they believe in.

Overall Score These guys really think about finding solutions to the project you want to achieve.
    My project is, complex, and it’s impossible to have a secure timeline. They are behind, but I don’t blame them because I came with new things during the project.
    6, if I can.
    The quality they deliver is amazing, and they keep at something until it works 100%. They need to be a bit more professional and more punctual in their communication.

Web Dev for Strategic Management Consultancy

"[T]hey did great work in terms of the results, consulting, and providing options.."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Keenethics developed several web and iPad prototypes to offer digital solutions to various clients. The team also performed UI/UX design, database creation, and application QA.

Munich, Germany
Manager

The team was multi-cultural and able to address any communication challenges before they became a problem. Keenethics provided various solutions to problems and consulted on the benefits of each. They have a good network of resources and are able to bring in the best people for each job.

We are a strategic management consultancy with about 300 professionals. Our work is basically project-based work for clients in the topics of transformation, strategy, and giving advice in the digital space. I am a manager. I’m the lead of the project team and client projects.

What challenge were you trying to address with Keenethics?

We needed a prototype and to develop some kind of digital solutions for processes showing the client how it could be done or how to maintain some kind of software solutions.

Keenethics helped us to develop and to prototype several web and iPad applications to help our clients. We used a MEAN stack including MeteorJS as a framework on top of Node.js, AngularJS, MongoDB, D3.js for visualization and Cordova for the hybrid development of the web and iPad application.

How many resources were assigned to your project?

On the first project, we had 2 ½ if you count all the quality assurance and the designer. The second project had also a project manager attached to it, so I think it was two to three people.

How did you come to work with Keenethics?

We proposed our project on Upwork.com. We interviewed all of the applicants which included Keenethics. At first, we did choose another company because Keenethics said that they didn’t have the required employees available at the time. We were unsatisfied with our first choice, so I connected back to Keenethics after two months. They had the resources available at that time, and we continued with them because all the issues and challenges we had with the first company were solved by Keenethics.

How much have you invested with Keenethics?

We spent between $10,000 and $50,000.

We started searching for the company in October. Then, we had the two-month time frame with another company. We came back to Keenethics in December 2016. The first project was finished last week. The second project was running from March 2017 to July 2017.

This was a highly agile project environment where several clients were involved. The costs of the work were not that high for the amount of work. That’s why we didn’t need perfect project controlling and why we didn’t use any metrics on the project.

We did have a great full stack developer and he could do everything in terms of user interface, application development, and database design. That enabled us to have a low cost, high result in the end. As we were missing a user interface designer, we got a designer who created the design and worked perfectly well with the developer so that we didn’t have any overhead.

How did Keenethics perform from a project management standpoint?

From a project management point, we used some kind of Scrum methodology and Agile methodology. We had weekly planning and daily stand-ups directly with developers from Keenethics. Everything was solved during the weekly and daily standups.

My native language is German. Keenethcis’ native language is not English either, but we had a Russian speaker on our team whose English is also quite good. In terms of understanding and communicating, it was perfect. Also due to cultural challenges which we had with the first team, Keenethics was perfect in addressing challenges and bringing them up before it would become a problem. In terms of communication, I was happy during the course of the project. I was always informed and could derive my decisions out of the information I got.

What did you find most impressive about Keenethics?

From a technological standpoint, they did great work in terms of the results, consulting, and providing options. They have a great network. At some point, we needed a user interface designer so they could also help with this challenge and provided a good designer to the team immediately. On the other hand, communication is something I value a lot. For example, if an expert is missing, they communicated that perfectly up front so I could search for an expert for a specific small problem and therefore we didn’t have any roadblocks. They chose the right technology and implemented the solution in a very good, perfect way.

Are there any areas Keenethics could improve?

I was satisfied completely with the project. But, as a German, I always see things for improvement. They could be a little better in terms of documentation, but I don’t see that really as a downside. It wasn’t in our job description.

Overall Score I’m perfectly happy with the results and with how we worked together.
    We used a Scrum methodology and it was quite easy with scheduling and meeting the deadlines.
    The full stack developer enabled us to have a low cost, high results in the end.

The solution was perfectly received in our organization, and in the client’s organization. I’m proud that I could deliver a solution with the help of Keenethics.
    I did already, and also the team was happy with the results.