Ecommerce, Ruby Rails, React.JS, mobile, web

Founded in 2010, JetRuby counts more than 70 employees and comprises three offices worldwide: two Research & Development offices in Ukraine and Russia, and a client relations office in San Francisco, California.

With skilled teams specialized in development of SaaS applications, CRM, ERP and Ruby on Rails-based E-Commerce solutions of any complexity, and mobile applications, we have everything necessary to deliver high-quality expertise and services to our clients. In business, building long-term partner relationships has always been a primary goal for us. Our portfolio includes a wide range of projects for organizations of all sorts - from small startups to solid corporations like Financial Times (http://ft.com/) which we’ve been collaborating with for more than 3 years now.

Technologies

• JetRuby Agency LTD. Krasnodar
    Russia

Financial Times, Universum, GoPro

treStique

treStique is online beauty store which offers a wide range of easy-to-use makeup essentials.

PYRO

PYRO is one of the China's top platform for electronic dance music

OpenFT

OpenFT is a widget and watchlist for Financial Times NY

LinkSquares

LinkSquares is designed to facilitate document management, analysis and reporting processes

Cronycle

Cronycle is a high-load content aggregation and parsing service to create new content

SparksFly

SparksFly is aimed to integrate news from different social networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) into one feed

NameCoach

NameCoach is a service to record the right pronunciation of names. Widely used by large US Universities

Move

Move is designed to simplify gaining access to sport facilities

Mobile App Dev & Web App for Startup

“People look at [it] now and say, ‘How did you get this done for the budget that you are allotted?’”

Feb. 2016 - Apr. 2017

JetRuby developed a prototype for a college-market social safety iOS and web app. They coded in React and Objective-C. They also consulted to refine the app’s features, and integrated with a Bluetooth device.

Boston, Massachusetts
CEO, Startup

JetRuby’s price tag was significantly lower than other firms, but their deliverables were exceptional. They met sprint deadlines and exceeded the final deadline, and they were quick to address any requests. Personal communication with developers led to a sense of team accountability.

My company is a social safety application that keeps college students safe while making college campuses safer. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with JetRuby Agency?

When we were working with JetRuby, it was at a point when we were trying to develop our first rough MVP prototype of our mobile and web app as well as Bluetooth integration, which included firmware development between the mobile app and a Bluetooth-enabled device. We were also addressing specific user stories, all under a very tight budget. It wasn't just me going to them and saying, "I need to get this done," but more "What should I get done first?" Overall, it was a prototype creation process as well as development work.

We worked on developing the web app first. That's developed in React, and it was a live-updating web dashboard that receives signals from the API of the mobile apps—it's like an integrated server software solution. The mobile app was coded in Objective-C for iOS and had to communicate with the dashboard. Those were the two main rough prototypes that we put together. We focused on getting the systems integrated first. Then we developed admin databases and user experience into the mobile app and web dashboard. I worked with them to go through user stories and figure out what specific features I wanted first, and what I could fit within my budget. They were super helpful because they outlined what it would take to get to a certain feature or product, and we could go through an outline, specifically "must-haves" and "good-to-haves," and what would need to be included on the next project development sprint.

How did you come to work with JetRuby Agency?

I'm in the Northeastern Venture Accelerator Program, and JetRuby came highly recommended from another company called LinkSquare. I know that when I was going into outsourcing the prototype, I was very wary of entering a relationship at a point where the technical features were still not that thoroughly developed. I received a really great recommendation not just on the coding and the development work, but on the communication and relationship that JetRuby provides their customers. I reached out and started talking with Ivan [Linko], the CEO, about developing a relationship, and we started with the first development sprint. I was extremely happy with their work, and then we moved into a second one.

How much have you invested with JetRuby Agency?

It was less than $20,000.

We began budget creation in February 2016. The first development sprint wrapped up in October 2016, and then the second one in April 2017.

I came in having an idea and some mockups for an app. Now, less than a year later, I have a complete MVP of my network that I can demo, that I can data pilot, that's been approved by the App Store for me to launch on TestFlight, and for an unbelievable price that’s nothing like what I was quoted for in-house development or any other development firm. Also, it’s code that my CGO can work off of. It's not like we have to start from scratch—it's great quality code.

How did JetRuby Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

It was great. I experienced two project managers throughout my course with JetRuby. It was great because these people were the middlemen between me and the tech, and I had great communication with them. We worked with several trackers and had video calls to discuss development. I could email them. There was a time difference, which is one thing, but if the time zones lined up, I would get very quick responses, and bugs would be fixed post immediately. If it was taking more time to do something, I'd have visibility into everything that was happening with the app. Whenever I had a question, it would get answered, and whenever I wanted them to do something, they would do it.

I know I had at least three developers that I had a direct correspondence with who are the main leads who would troubleshoot the bugs for me, but the number of developers switched over from different development sprints. It would be great because then they would send me an email saying they fixed the bugs personally. It wouldn't be the project manager, but the exact developer.

They definitely met deadlines within those sprints. We went a little over budget in the second development sprint, but I felt that it was justified as everything came under the terms of our contract. Besides that, deadlines were very well set, and I knew what was taking longer or shorter than expected.

What did you find most impressive about JetRuby Agency?

The ability for me, a very early-stage venture, to come into a professional development agency to create a prototype under a very tight budget was a really important distinguisher. It's not just about delivering certain features; it’s about working together with JetRuby to know which user stories should and need to be included in an MVP. I only received very personal communication into what I should do first. It was almost like a guidance into how to create the best prototype for the best price. We really went into what it would take to develop prototypes that I wanted. A lot of development agencies don't really get into that; they just want a scope of work delivered to them right up front and don't really take the time to get into what should be done. They delivered that, which was vital to me, being a very early-stage venture. From there, it was really professional quality code that people look at now and say, "How did you get this done for the budget that you are allotted?" I think that's such a great situation for me to be in.

Are there any areas JetRuby Agency could improve?

I think they're already on this track, but standardizing the visibility into the actual specific tasks that are getting done every day. I'm not that much of a project manager and I didn't request that much visibility into the Pivotal Tracker. They did give me that, but in the first round, we didn't use it as much. In the second round, we used it more. For me, it was totally fine. I'm not sure exactly how they interact with their other clients, but having more visibility and a more standardized use of tools like Pivotal Tracker. If they want to scale to a more professional and later stage company for development, they're going to need that to be really well-developed. Then again, I don't know how they interacted with their later-stage clients, and it could have just been a situation for me that I was completely fine with

Overall Score Great experience. There's some more they have to do with standardization. Again, that could be very specific to my situation, but for what I was looking for, it was exactly what I needed.
    They delivered high-quality code within an amazing budget. They worked really well with the technical user story that I'd given them and created a very sustainable MVP.

Ruby on Rails Dev for Group Messaging App

"I’m impressed by their ability to meet those changes on very short notice while keeping with deadlines."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

They were hired to develop the backend of an app that suggests local events. They developed the backend using Ruby on Rails.

Park City, Utah
Tom Klein
Founder, Suggest It

The client is particularly happy with the quality of the projects that JetRuby has worked on - specifically the quality of the code. They manage communication between teams very well and meet all deadlines set for them.

I’m the founder of Suggest It, a group messaging application.

What challenge were you trying to address with JetRuby Agency?

At that time, we had a lack of internal resources.

They were developing the backend of an application that allows users to suggest events that are happening locally. It’s a social network forum application built on Ruby on Rails. They were able to build the product to our requirements with minimal bugs.

How did you come to work with JetRuby Agency?

Initially, we were working with another agency on our previous product. When we started building a new product, that agency referred us to JetRuby directly. Their backend developers had proven themselves to be competent on the first product, so we chose to keep them on for this product as well. We had also interviewed other agencies both onshore and offshore, but we knew JetRuby had expertise in Ruby on Rails.

How much have you invested with JetRuby Agency?

We will spend between $130,000 and $140,000 with JetRuby on this project.

We began working with them on the newest project in August 2016, and the work is ongoing.

Their work is impressive, both on this project and the previous project. Their execution of the requirements has been flawless. We have not found a company that’s been able to execute that quality of code with as few issues as they have.

How did JetRuby Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a project manager who works alongside their project manager. There is a clear line of communication between the teams. They have video meetings once a week, and their project manager is available most hours of the day via Slack. They’re able to meet deadlines to our expectations.

What did you find most impressive about JetRuby Agency?

We have a very iterative product that’s continuously changing. I’m impressed by their ability to meet those changes on very short notice while keeping with deadlines. We enjoy working with them.

Are there any areas JetRuby Agency could improve?

We’ve worked with many outsourced development teams, and communication has always been a challenge. JetRuby has to deal with the same challenges and make sure that when the scope changes, the whole team knows. The communication and processes surrounding those situations can always be improved with any agency.

As a company that’s in an iterative environment, JetRuby is always achieving the deadlines we’ve set.
    There are less expensive resources available for outsourced development. However, JetRuby exceeds value not based on hourly costs but based on deliverables.
    From design to execution, the quality of the code is always on point.
    The flexibility of the team and execution of the product make them an easy recommendation for us to give to someone else.

Ruby Dev, Social Media Management Solution Provider

"Quote."

Mar. 2013 - Ongoing

JetRuby Agency was hired to provide development in Ruby on Rails. Along with the proper developing, they provided some of the creative aspects of the product that was being built.

1–10 Employees

Palo Alto, California
David Bankston
CEO, Sparksfly Technologies, Inc.

The client receives over four million transactions per year and they have had no problems. They attribute part of this to the development work that JetRuby Agency provided. They particularly appreciated their ability to listen and work within the timelines the client provided.

The company is Sparksfly Technologies and we are developing a solution for businesses to help them manage their social media footprint across various networks. We’ve developed a platform that enables aggregation and management of the social media platforms into a company’s strategy.

What challenge were you trying to address with JetRuby Agency?

We were pulling together many different APIs and policies. We needed a team that had a good grasp of integration. We needed someone who had a strong background in Ruby on Rails, which was the platform we chose.

We needed to build the enterprise foundation on Ruby on Rails. In the ideation phase, everyone was involved including JetRuby Agency. They were an integral part of the team because when we looked at building the Sparksfly app in both iOS and Android, we had to always keep an eye on the design with respect to the limitations of what it’s going to take to pull all of this data from various networks and present it in one consistent, unified, effective presentation to the user. It required a lot of detailed work, caching, and advanced preparation. As we moved to deployment, the challenge was to build an administrative backend that managed everything and was scalable. From there on out, we were adding networks, so we needed a scalable platform with an infinite number of capabilities. There was a lot of thought given to the database management and structure, and the ability to keep things organized so that they would scale appropriately.

How did you come to work with JetRuby Agency?

I found them through a referral from a design company that I was working with. The design company was using JetRuby for their own hard backend development. We started the design of this project with this company, and then as we started to build, we were introduced to JetRuby. They had to prove themselves every step of the way and that’s what they did.

How much have you invested with JetRuby Agency?

This information is confidential.

We began working with them in March 2013, and the work is ongoing.

The solution has supported over four million transactions on an annual basis with no problems.

How did JetRuby Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

The key to success in any project management is that you have to build a relationship with the product team. Because we’ve had a long-standing relationship, we’ve very good at it. They are very good at listening and at working with your time frames. We have some amazing people on our team and it has been a wonderful experience.

What did you find most impressive about JetRuby Agency?

Overall, their price is very fair. Their CEO, Ivan, is a great guy and very reasonable to work with.

I don’t have anything.

Overall Score They’re a long-standing partner.
    Nobody’s perfect but they’re solid.
    They’re very reasonable.
    The quality always exceeds our expectations.
    I recommend them all the time.

Ruby on Rails Dev & Website Design for Inventory Solution

"They are experts in Ruby."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

JetRuby Agency was hired to develop a web application utilizing both Ruby on Rails and JavaScript. This website's intention was to be used in collaboration with thei iOS app.

Redwood City, California
Dhanush Balachandran
CEO, Sortly

The client has received great reviews from users of the new site. Along with the high reviews, the client is experiencing their highest level of revenue. They have appreciated the agency's knowledge and skill surrounding Ruby on Rails and their willingness to make improvements where necessary.

I’m the founder and CEO of Sortly, Inc, which offers an inventory solution for small businesses and consumers. It’s a very popular inventory app in the iOS store.

What challenge were you trying to address with JetRuby Agency?

There was no way for users to check their inventory on the web because we just had an iOS app. We needed to develop a web application.

They helped me design the UX [user experience] of the site, and then they helped me execute the frontend. Our backend is coded in Ruby on Rails and they suggested we use a JavaScript framework for the frontend. The project was a collaborative effort. One of the project managers was also a product manager who really understood our product. She made many decisions and helped the designer, which saved me time. They both made suggestions as to what would make the product better. We started with just one engineer and the designer, and have scaled up to five engineers now. We hope to use them to help us with the iOS app in the future.

How did you come to work with JetRuby Agency?

I posted a job on Upwork and did my due diligence to research the companies that applied for the job. After my conversation with the CEO of JetRuby, he seemed very intelligent and experienced. He knows what he’s talking about, and I was impressed. They are experts in Ruby.

How much have you invested with JetRuby Agency?

We’ve spent between $50,000 and $200,000 with them so far.

We started working with them in March 2016, and the work is ongoing.

The site is great and we’re getting rave reviews from our users. We hit our highest revenue last month; having a web presence has helped us grow. Until we hire someone in-house, JetRuby will be our go-to agency to run the engineering team.

How did JetRuby Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

I feel they need to master this area a bit more. The first PM [project manager] we had left the company and now we are on our third PM who is doing a good job. The engineers have been around and know the project well, but there’s been more turnover with the PM.

What did you find most impressive about JetRuby Agency?

They have very experienced developers when it comes to Ruby on Rails. With an inventory app, it’s absolutely critical that the backend system works reliably because of all the data going in and out. I was hesitant to hand the project off because of that, but now I don’t deal with it at all. The team handles it perfectly and they’re improving it.

Are there any areas JetRuby Agency could improve?

They need to set down a good process for what a project manager does. They still lack a full-time in-house design resource, so I believe they need to hire more designers to hone that skill.

It’s been great. It’s not a perfect score because I believe everyone can improve.

Rails Dev for SaaS Company

"The code quality is fantastic .... They’re definitely experts."

Aug. 2015 - Ongoing

JetRuby Agency came on to develop a web application with Ruby on Rails and React. Because their app is used by many different companies, it needed to be robust and highly functional.

Boston, Massachusetts
CEO, SaaS Software Company

The app has received positive feedback regarding its speed and functionality. The client feels that the agency was able to produce something great for the user and has allowed for 25% growth month over month. They had their own project manager that helped them meet their goals and plan for their next step.

The company is a SaaS [software-as-a-service] product for legal teams to search and report on their contracted people. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with JetRuby Agency?

We wanted to build a web application from scratch.

I wanted a Ruby on Rails web app and JetRuby Agency suggested we use React for our frontend. That was a great recommendation. We were able to partner together because I had some knowledge about Rails and front-end work. They were able to provide their opinion on what path I should take. I already had a design and JetRuby was able to start working from there. Our app services many companies and we continue to add features to make it better.

How did you come to work with JetRuby Agency?

I did a search online for outsourced development shops. I went through the process of finding freelance shops and conducted about 10 interviews. JetRuby was head and shoulders above every other firm I talked to as far as communication, experience, knowledge, and skills. I went through a pretty rigorous technical vetting process with them and they passed.

How much have you invested with JetRuby Agency?

We spend between $50,000 and $200,000 per year.

We began working with them in August 2015 and the work is ongoing.

We get great feedback about the app’s performance including the speed and functionality. I was able to use JetRuby’s help to produce a great user experience. We’ve been growing 25% month over month. We almost doubled up in the first couple of months of this year in terms of our revenue compared to last year. The user experience is everything to us.

How did JetRuby Agency perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a project manager to interface with. Depending on what you’re trying to build, you’re assigned developers that fill those requirements. I can usually work with the project manager weeks in advance to define my requirements before the next sprint, and they decide who will work on it.

I’ve had a few different project managers work with us over the course of the relationship. It’s nice to have a consistent team so that you’re not constantly rotating different team members who don’t know the code. All the code is reviewed and they have good engineering processes.

We are integrating in-house resources with JetRuby, and they have expressed that the way the code is written is as good, if not better, as what they had seen at their previous employers, based on US senior developer standards. The code quality is fantastic and it feels like we’re using a team from the US. We work in an Agile environment and we’ve put time into the scope. We put time into how we’re going to use it and there are always things that need to be fixed. We fix things as fast as we can and JetRuby is generally really good about any deadlines we have. They’re not so rigid that they can’t drop everything and fix the production environment.

What did you find most impressive about JetRuby Agency?

They’re definitely experts. If you’re going to hire anyone to do work you can’t do yourself, it’s nice to know that they’re experts. Through my time working with them and then bringing in developers here in the US, it’s really clear that they’re experts. A lot of people can build code, but when you architect the development of software, it’s a whole other thing. The extra DevOps support that they can provide is fantastic and I utilize that. They can set up, take down, and upgrade servers to keep the app alive. Generally, it’s unique that a company would be willing to do this in addition to being able to develop the code. They support the whole life cycle, and I think that it’s handy to have a team that has different skill sets.

Are there any areas JetRuby Agency could improve?

They do a great job of communicating, but at times, they could give more status updates proactively. They’re super responsive when I ask the status, so it depends on what your expectations are for a working environment and what rhetoric you want to have with them. Maybe some people don’t want to be bugged all the time. For customers like me, who want to be more involved in the app development, offering extra communication would be good.

Where a deadline is presented, they usually meet it. Sometimes, when it’s more fluid, it can slip a little bit. Some of that you can’t plan for.
    It’s a good value for the money for anyone trying to get their company off the ground.
    The work is top-notch and inspected by other developers. It’s beautifully written.
    I have recommended them probably 10 times already.