Maine eCommerce & Shopify Experts

First Pier offers a holistic approach to eCommerce, a one-stop-shop for everything from product photography to site development to shipping, and everything in between. No website exists in a vacuum, internet standards change, platforms evolve, business ideas get refined. From site performance and SEO audits to monthly analytics and reporting, we work with clients to prioritize updates and future development.

We support your business every step of the way through easy communication, detailed onboarding, and project documentation. First Pier specializes in Shopify development because it presents clients with a stable, feature-rich platform built for selling. We don't just support your site, we support your business. We are Maine's first & only Shopify Experts, experienced with Shopify, Shopify Plus, and Shopify Point-of-Sale offerings.

PORTLAND, ME
  • 217 COMMERCIAL ST SUITE 300
    PORTLAND, ME 04101
  • 2 Main St., Bldg. #17-202
    Biddeford, ME 04005

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Tandem Coffee Roasters Bliss Boutiques Boutique Little Transparent Audio Sanita USA Becoming Jewelry Evan's Rockin' Hotsauce Little Red Cup Tea South Street Linen

E-Commerce & Marketing Strategy for Hot Sauce Brand

"First Pier finds important parts of my brand’s identity and translates them perfectly into visual language."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

First Pier implemented Shopify features and new branding elements to enhance the digital image of a hot sauce brand. They revamped the site’s backend and updates its font, copy, and iconography.

Portland, Maine
Evan Smith
President, Evan's Rockin' Hot Sauce

The website has seen 85%–100% improvements in revenue, leading to more work for First Pier. The team revamped the brand’s identity without reinventing it or spending a sizable budget. Their timeliness and eagerness to receive feedback make them a valuable partner.

I’m the President of Evan’s Rockin’ Hot Sauce. We’ve made hot sauce for three years.

What challenge were you trying to address with First Pier?

I had been managing my web tools and marketing by myself before I reached out to First Pier. I wanted help with the digital side of my business.

First Pier helped me with the full digital suite of my business, from developing our Shopify e-commerce system to aid. They adjusted my copy, typography, and iconography, among other things. They also trained me on how to use Shopify and implement it on my site so that people can easily order products online. Now I have access to many programs and creative possibilities to shape my website and identity.

Additionally, First Pier worked with me to simplify my backend set-up. In my DIY set-up, I had to keep track of so many moving parts and subscriptions. They helped me make fulfilling orders and implement marketing strategies easier.

We work with five people. Leanne (Accounts & Solutions Manager, First Pier) is my main point of contact.

How did you come to work with First Pier?

My wife manages a jewelry production company and has used First Pier for years to manage their website. Based on what I knew they were doing for that business and what I wanted for mine, I spoke them. Their creative ideas in terms of design blew me away from the get-go.

We’ve spent about $5,000.

We started working together in July 2019, and the project is ongoing.

By the time First Pier finished their work in mid-October, it was as if I had a brand new website. I’m doing way less work on the backend to fill orders and have seen my revenue grow by 85%–100%.

How did First Pier perform from a project management standpoint?

I love their style of project management. They break up each task into individual components. They make PDF presentations that guide through some pretty awesome meetings where they’d show us colors and icons. They ask for my input and feedback at each step, generate a bunch of different options, and then run with the one we choose. It makes me feel included in every single part of the process. We communicate either through email or in person.

First Pier finds important parts of my brand’s identity and translates them perfectly into visual language. Thorough and creative, they take pieces that I’ve made and show me them in a different way without generating a whole new identity. They’ve been a joy to work with.

No, I can’t think of anything. Any issues I can think of came from my end—I was slow in getting information back to them, which pushed back our rollout.

Make yourself available to First Pier. They’re thorough and quick to send you more to work on.

E-Commerce Dev & Marketing for Outdoor Retailer

“They’re always advancing—always looking at what’s coming down the pipeline—and trying new strategies.”

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

First Pier has helped an expanding e-commerce site by supporting rebranding efforts, shifting the platform from Magento to Shopify, adding new features, developing content, and upgrading outreach to Klaviyo.

Biddeford, Maine
Amy Kading
E-commerce Manager, Hyperlite Mountain Gear

With First Pier’s support and campaign efforts, the e-commerce site has seen significant growth. The team’s suggestions follow industry best-practices and are a huge upgrade. By working efficiently and communicating regularly, they’re a valuable asset when project requirements change.

I’m the e-commerce manager at Hyperlite Mountain Gear. We create ultralight backpacks, shelters, and accessories for any overnight backcountry adventure. Our fabric is lightweight, durable, and waterproof. It’s made entirely at our factory here in Maine, but we distribute globally through our wholesale website.

What challenge were you trying to address with First Pier?

We’ve been growing really rapidly, expanding our presence and product line, selling to more people around the world. First Pier helped with rebranding efforts and developing our new website.

They played a big part in the rebranding process, by supporting surveys, developing the new site, and of course, marketing. They’re primarily our web design agency and have handled everything that has to do with e-commerce. We went from a Magento platform to the new and improved version, to most recently, Shopify. As we’ve expanded our products, they’ve helped optimize the platform to improve conversion rates. We just launched a new mega menu and completely overhauled our shopping cart. So, they’ve been tackling a very long list of things for our website this holiday season.

They’ve also helped us upgrade from Mailchimp to Klaviyo to support our marketing efforts. Helping with PR, they’ve helped develop content and planned the logistics around posting. They also help with our holiday campaign efforts, particularly our 2017 campaign. Before we had an internal team, they managed Google Ads for us.

They have about ten team members working on our project, including Leanne (Accounts. Solutions Manager, First Pier), Claire (Public Relations & Strategic Communications Director, First Pier), Martin (Digital Director, First Pier), and Steve (Founder & Lead Strategist, First Pier).

How did you come to work with First Pier?

Our company began working with First Pier before I arrived.

We continue to work with them and improve our website.

Since our rebrand, our company continues to expand. In 2016, we saw 90% growth across the company. Our 2017 holiday campaign was beautiful and was a huge success—we saw a 50% growth for B2C. First Pier has operated on several different platforms, and they’ve made every transition absolutely seamless. They’ve definitely pushed us to try better industry practices because it would benefit us as a business.

The shift to Klaviyo paid for itself within the first few weeks of using it, while the mega menu we just launched is a huge upgrade.

Since they’re a pillar of creating our brand, they always do a great job of maintaining our tone and the story at the heart of everything we do. It can be difficult to balance marketing and tech, but they do a great job.

How did First Pier perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always flexible and willing to tackle new products. When we need to make changes, they react really quickly to help get everything in a row for a new launch. The team is great at staying on task and working efficiently.

They keep us on track, and I rely on them a lot for their organization and communication skills. I talk to them almost every day and see them a few times a month. We used to use Basecamp but have recently switched to Teamwork Projects.

They’re great for businesses like ours that aren’t just looking for e-commerce solutions, but are looking to grow. They’ve been a fantastic resource for supporting acquisition and conversion.

I really don’t think there’s anything they need to improve.

Everyone has their own ideas and strategies, but I would recommend being openminded to First Pier’s suggestions. They’re always advancing—always looking at what’s coming down the pipeline—and trying to new strategies. So, be receptive to their ideas because their expertise is very valuable.

Overall Score They’re vital to our growth. I can’t imagine achieving what we have, at the speed we have, without their support.
    They do a great job reacting to us. Since we can easily put off deadlines, they’re adaptive and can make changes quickly.
    They’re competitive and fair, though it’s not cheap.
    They always deliver quality work, and we’ve never had any issues.
    I think they’re a great agency. I’ve seen them grow over the last few years, and without a doubt, I would recommend them.

Branding, SEO, & E-Commerce Dev for Footwear Retailer

"Their timeline management and collaborative approach are impressive."

Oct. 2019 - Ongoing

First Pier provides a broad range of services to a wholesale footwear retailer, from e-commerce development to SEO and even branding. They've also integrated the solution with an ERP system.

Scarborough, Maine
President, Wholesale Footwear Retailer

The site has led to an immediate increase in profitable direct to consumer (D2C) sales. First Pier's account representative ensures that the engagement is seamless.

M. Leonard International Inc. is a wholesaler and retailer of footwear. I am the president and owner of the company.

For what projects/services did your company hire First Pier?

Launching a new website and maintaining that website in an ongoing manner.

To launch an e-commerce site that was both brand-forward and transactionally functional.

After interviewing many local web developers.

• Web design and development
  • SEO
  • Brand book
  • Maintenance
  • E-commerce integration with ERP

Designers, developers, account management reps, etc.

Immediate profitable D2C sales increases.

Via account rep; it was seamless.

Their timeline management and collaborative approach are impressive.