Inspire Belief.

BrandExtract is a brand experience firm that creates new opportunities for companies, transforms them and grows their influence and value. Our firm is rooted in the creation of well-defined brand strategies that foster cultural alignment, create momentum to overcome market challenges and accelerate companies poised for growth.

2005
Houston, TX
  • 7026 Old Katy Road, Suite 210
    Houston, TX 77024

ABS Group | Anadarko | BodyBilt | Chemstations | Marathon Oil | Millar | Murphy USA | San Jacinto Museum | Simmons | Transocean

Branding for CPI Software Company

“I attribute a lot of our success over the past decade to BrandExtract’s work.”

May 2008 - Ongoing

BrandExtract provides ongoing brand consulting and analysis services, increasing market awareness and customer engagement. To support the rebranding initiatives, they’ve fully redesigned the company website.

Houston, Texas
Steve Brown
President, Chemstations, Inc.

Since the start of the partnership, both incoming revenue and traffic rates have increased. BrandExtract’s dedication to each project is admirable. The team eagerly dives into the complexities of the chemical industry, collecting the information necessary to formulate profitable outreach campaigns.

I’m the president, COO, and CEO of Chemstations, Inc., a software business that provides productivity tools for chemical engineers all over the globe. We’re a pure product provider—all software and no service. We do about 50% of our business overseas through a network of distributors. We target customers in the chemical process industry (CPI) like chemical companies and refineries, engineering companies, equipment manufacturers, and more.

What challenge were you trying to address with BrandExtract?

We’re a relatively small company in a market with one dominant, public player. In terms of brand positioning, we needed to not only increase market awareness but differentiate ourselves from our competitors. Before BrandExtract, we’d been working with local partners for graphic design and advertising, while relying on our instincts and analysis for major branding decisions. With that said, we’re not marketing specialists, so we didn't see results.

I started looking for a new partner—a firm that was not just an ad agency but also offered consulting and brand analysis services. I wanted to transition our core marketing strategies from print-based to a web-based media plan. We brought in BrandExtract to use our traditional CRM and in-house tools to assist with our branding efforts, helping us better connect with our existing clients and other professionals in the industry.

BrandExtract started by interviewing our staff to get a feel for our company and culture, then they spoke with existing customers, our competitors’ customers, and industry experts. They analyzed that data and formulated a description of our company and our product from the perspectives of our internal team, our customers, and the industry as a whole. Their report highlighted any noticeable gaps in our market awareness.

Then, we started the planning phase. We came up with strategies to close the obvious gaps in our branding strategies by driving awareness through customer engagement. BrandExtract’s second main deliverable was a marketing campaign plan, complete with a new logo and tagline. They did a total rebrand based on their findings from the first phase of the project.

Over a two-year period, we executed the plan. Since then, we’ve been tweaking and improving the strategy while working on a number of other projects. BrandExtract rebuilt our website during the execution process, and they’ve recently completed another update as well. On both occasions, the team reworked the site from the ground up implementing fresh design elements. Now, they’re hosting our website and providing assistance as necessary.

Our main point of contact is our project manager, Elizabeth (Brand Strategist, BrandExtract), but we still interact with multiple team members. They provide a web expert who assists with the occasional technical issue. Additionally, I have direct access to senior staff, including Bo (President and CEO, BrandExtract) who handles high-level issues.

Generally, I reach out to Elizabeth regarding any problems or questions, but I’ll email multiple team members in the case of an emergency. They have a reliable ticketing system for support, so my concerns are always answered and addressed.

How did you come to work with BrandExtract?

I reached out to my professional network with a note describing our issue and the kind of service we were looking for. I received recommendations for about five different vendors. A family friend recommended BrandExtract after having attended an executive program at Rice University with Bo.

After several phone calls, I immediately narrowed my shortlist down to two potential candidates who seemed the most capable. I asked each vendor for references and spoke with their past clients. Ultimately, they both showed a lot of potential and offered a good price, but I felt a stronger connection with BrandExtract.

I estimate that we’ve spent an average of $35,000 a year for the past ten years, which totals to about $350,000. Our last major project with them cost between $60,000–$65,000. As a medium-sized business, our partnership with BrandExtract represents a pretty big investment.

We started working with their team in May 2008, and we still have them on retainer.

Since the start of our partnership, our web traffic has improved, and incoming revenue has increased by approximately 50–60%. I attribute a lot of our success over the past decade to BrandExtract’s work. They’ve been extremely helpful.

How did BrandExtract perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a system, and it works. Elizabeth is my sole contact for every piece of our various projects—print, web content, e-media, banner ads, logos, and website metrics. She expertly manages each task, with no delays or mishaps. We have a weekly called scheduled every Thursday to touch base and prioritize the current workload.

We are a highly technical and specialized provider. It’s unlikely that we’ll ever be able to find a branding/marketing group with technical engineers on staff, so we really appreciate BrandExtract’s willingness to dive into the complexities of our industry. Since the beginning of the partnership, they’ve developed an understanding of our company and our product, expertly managing our branding and marketing campaigns.

This was a problem point for us in the past. We worked with companies who couldn’t fully comprehend the intricacies of our business. It was too big a mountain for them to climb. In comparison, BrandExtract goes the extra mile, researching our industry and asking questions to constantly build their knowledge. With their help, we’re more engaged with our customers.

Because we have an ongoing relationship beyond the large projects, we don’t often have a clear understanding of the scope and billing estimates for the smaller tasks. I must stay on top of quotes, updates, and bills to assure that they’re on the right track, and we are understanding each other.

Overall Score There’s been some turnover within their team, but it never caused any big issues. Otherwise, we’re very happy.
    Their estimates are on point and they’ve never missed a deadline.
    I feel that we’ve gotten a fantastic return on our investment over the years.
    Compared to my experiences with other vendors, BrandExtract’s deliverables are beautiful and concise.
    I recommend them to everybody.