Creating Apps Since the App Store Started

Meet some big fish in app development. If you're looking for an expert mobile app development company, there's no need to conduct a fishing expedition. You've found one of the most talented and experienced iOS app development companies on earth. Blue Whale brings you a team of highly experienced professionals who have worked with the world's leading technology, advertising and design companies.

You can count on Blue Whale to collaborate with you at every stage of the app development project lifecycle—from concept to completion.

2006
    571-294-6158
    77 Water Street 8th Floor
    New York, NY 10005
    (561) 596-2757

Mead Johnson, NBC Universal, First Rate, Interactive One, Discovery Channel, Town Square Media.

Bekn

Bekn lets providers receive job offers from customers who wouldn’t have previously known to contact them. The app also allows greater work opportunity for the providers, and unrivaled convenience for the customers.

Get news feeds from the Black Planet Community

Join to find and make new friends on BlackPlanet. It's the largest Black community, online since '99. Socialize, meet new men & women for friendship, networking, dating. With over 20 Million members, BlackPlanet is the world's largest online niche community.

Pick&Click

Pic&click is a social polling and voting application that uses pictures, and text for you to gain free feedback from the world.

Creating these customizable polls will allow you to gain feedback for questions like what should I wear, or even for businesses looking to find out what the next big thing is. Our mission is to socially impact the world; every vote counts!

*** FEATURES ***

+ Login instantly using Facebook or create your own account with your email address
+ Ask questions and create a poll with or without photos
+ Follow your friends and vote on their polls
+ Use hashtags to see polls based on your favorite subjects or things
+ Search for friends and hashtags
+ See the most popular questions being asked, and most recently by everyone
+ Invite your friends using Facebook
+ Comment on a poll and receive unlimited feedback
+ Repost a poll you want to follow to your own feed
+...

Slide

Slide is a photo sharing app that enables you to share more than just one photo at a time. We believe photo sharing shouldn't be limited to just one photo. Post up to 10 photos at once and share more with the people you care about. We know how important sharing a life experience is. Slide empowers you to add more dimensions to your sharing capabilities, enabling you to share with more depth and creativity than ever before.

Features:

- Login with Facebook or create your own Slide account
- Share up to 10 photos at once, then gracefully slide through them
- Instantly share your photos to Facebook and Twitter
- Discover more of the world with #hashtag search
- Easily find Facebook friends
- Intuitive news feed and profile
- Unlimited uploads
- Interact with friends easily by liking or commenting
- Full functioning camera
- And much more!

Golf My Way

One of the best compilation of simple golf lessons for players of all levels.

Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way, the best-selling golf instructional series of all time, will be available for the first time as an iPhone and iPad Application. The teaching philosophy behind Golf My Way has inspired the likes of Greg Norman, Ernie Els, John Daly, K.J. Choi and 2009 PGA Championship winner Y.E. Yang, and today these timeless tips continue to impact golfers of all ages and skill levels, but now in digitally re-mastered footage. The enhanced quality of these golf lessons from the Golden Bear will allow golfers to enjoy improving at the game, no matter if they are beginners or touring professionals like Tiger Woods.

Playgifts

Create personalized game e-cards and be part of the latest social gifting revolution. Easy and fun to send, awesome to receive, play and solve.

Setting the newest trend in gaming, e-cards, and e-gifts, Play Gifts 365™ combines e-card sentiment with entertainment. The popular word game, Anagrams, is included for unlimited use, with in-app purchases available for additional games.

To create a card, the sender merely selects words, which describe the recipient, along with a game, a theme, and a short message. To receive a card, the recipient is notified that there are game cards waiting in their gift box.

WOD Challenge

WOD Challenge is an iPhone app for CrossFit athletes and boxes to send and receive workout challenges.
Challenge your friends, challenge boxes and see where you rank on the global WOD Challenge leaderboards!

+ Challenge friends and athletes to a WOD.
+ 60+ WODs to choose from.
+ Challenge other boxes to see who is the top box.
+ See where you rank on the leader board for WODs.
+ Earn virtual trophies for winning challenges.
+ Brag about wins to friends on Facebook and Twitter.
+ View leader boards by current location.
+ Complete a WOD by Rx or scaled option.
+ Receive a notification when a challenge is sent to you.
+ Browse athlete profiles and send a WOD Challenge!

Scoutpeek

ScoutPeek is a social video app that helps sport scouts, coaches and organizations find the most talented athletes in the world. ScoutPeek gives the talented athlete a chance to let his or her dreams come true by uploading short videos in the field during a game or practicing to be shared with scout, coaches, colleges and sports clubs. It’s extremely fast and free!

DraftValet Fantasy Q&A Specialist

The DraftValet Q & A Specialist is a free personal Expert consultant service offered to fantasy sports enthusiasts who want quick, direct, answers in the drafting and daily management of their teams. Submit a question any day, anytime and one of our nationally renowned fantasy sports experts will quickly respond and help guide your team to a championship!

+ Tap into the brain trust of the top fantasy sports minds in the country
+ Access DraftValet's proprietary realtime trending feature that continually updates the players and topics most important to fantasy sports teams
+ Prepare with one-on-one advice on trends and strategies heading into your league's draft day
+ Tap our 'follow up' feature to continue a dialogue thread with an Expert on a specific subject
+ Maintain a customized database of all your questions and Expert responses
...

SportsChatPlace

Native App for iPhone that allows users to register to receive information about sports picks.  Users have the ability to view a video of the day and browse picks for games that have been uploaded through a related web administration module.

The app also includes a "Shake Your Money Maker" feature that allows users to shake their phone to win picks.

ActIt

Act It takes all the laughs from a classic game of Charades and adds the power of your mobile video camera to create the ultimate social video game! We give you the Theme, you Act It, record it, and send it to a friend. Tired of Draw Something and Words With Friends? Want a more Social social game? Then Act It is just for you! Here’s how it works… We give you the choice of 3 Themes: Easy, Medium, and Hard. Pick the one you like and get ready to Act It! Next you record the video of yourself, a friend, or anything that will give your opponent the best chance of guessing the Theme. Feel free to use props and costumes… The videos are only limited by your imagination. JUST DON’T SAY THE THEME!!!!! Once you’ve recorded the video you can Review it, Re-record it, Share it to Facebook, Save it to your camera roll, and of course send it to your opponent. Your opponent will receive the video, which they can watch as many times as it takes to guess what the Theme was using a jumble of...

First Rate

First Rate Mobile™ is an iPad application that addresses the need for mobility when accessing and presenting investment portfolio performance information. Access up to the minute performance data dynamically in a streamlined mobile application Present a progressive image Provide a portal to view client statement packages in a mobile setting Add dimension and options to performance presentations Offer a fresh, exciting view into rates of returns, allocation and investment activity Adhere to data security through user authentication without storing sensitive client data

Speech Therapy for Apraxia-Words

Speech Therapy for Apraxia-Words is a convenient, effective tool for: • children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech/dyspraxia • adults with apraxia

ExpectingBaby

ExpectingBaby helps you track and share your amazing journey through all three stages of pregnancy—planning, delivery and announcing baby’s arrival.

Motion Doctor

Watch 60+ high quality videos that serve as a reference of exercises categorized by body part, activity, sport and occupation that will help everyday people of all ages maintain a healthy and pain free body. Awards... Chosen as a "Staff Favorite" by Apple October 2011 Motion Doctor reached #2 on Medical Charts! Featured in "Whats Hot" section by Apple Featured as "New and Noteworthy" by Apple

Chemical Reaction Game iPad App

Kids game

Boating Weather iPhone App

Simple utility that fetches the latest marine forecast. A must have for every boater!

HemoLog iPhone App

Medical app for hemopheliacs to keep track of their meds and injections.

radioPup

radioPup is a personalized radio app designed for the iPhone & iPod Touch featuring 220+ local radio stations streaming the best music and news available.

Photo Pooch

Dress up your Pooch with virtual hats, facial hair, glasses and teeth. Share hilarious photos with your friends and post to facebook.

Outdoor Application Development for Startup

"I think the best thing is just that Blue Whale Apps is very responsive with any question or need that I have."

Blue Whale developed an iOS app to promote outdoor safety, primarily among hunters. The key design element was a phone-based blaze orange effect. Blue Whale won the contract based on their trustworthiness.

Knoxville, TN
Mac Stevens
Owner, App Startup

The app was released after hunting season and before it was really ready, so initial adoption was slow. But after some more work, the app works just as hoped. Blue Whale was responsive and trustworthy. Always a pleasure to work with, Blue Whale earned the contract for the upcoming Android version.

My company is a startup focused on providing ways to be safer in the outdoors. One of the first concepts that I wanted to develop was the concept of a blaze orange effect using a smartphone. We named this concept Brother's Keeper, and that's what Blue Whale did for us.

I'm the founder.

As far as the development for the smartphone, is the app available on iOS, Android, both, or even on the web?

It's available on iOS right now, and the plan is ultimately to develop it for Android, but we haven't done that yet.

How did you come to work with Blue Whale Apps?

It's a tricky process, if you have an idea for an app, you don't want to give it away. Ultimately, I did a lot of online research and came up with a list of probably 10 companies and started reaching out to them. Some of those that were overseas I didn't feel comfortable with because I didn't know how to protect my idea when dealing with somebody overseas. Even when signing nondisclosure agreements, I wasn't sure how I would enforce them. I decided to deal only with domestic groups. Ultimately, it came down to a gut feeling in talking with Blue Whale. I received some cost comparisons with the ideas, and they were about the same. I have been very happy with my choice.

I believe it was about $45,000 to develop the app initially.

The app has been released and, unfortunately, from a marketing standpoint, I don't think we were quite ready. The focus again is really for hunters, although it could be used for anybody. We chose hunting as our focus. After development finished it got late into the hunting season. Now, hunting season is almost over, but I have actually used the app in practice, and it works very well.

What distinguishes Blue Whale Apps from other providers?

I think the best thing is just that Blue Whale Apps is very responsive with any question or need that I have. Sometimes, you deal with folks who are hard to get a hold of and hard to get responses from, but they've always been "Johnny on the spot" with every request that I've had. I've been very happy with that.

Not really.

iOS App Development for Oilfield Industry Workflow App

"Blue Whale Apps' insight into the iOS platform and how to adapt programs to the platform has been really helpful."

Blue Whale developed an iOS app to improve workflow in the oil Industry. The challenge was to move existing capabilities into the iOS platform, which meant adjusting content display.

Tennessee
Brandon Chandler
Head of Development, Software Development Company

Although they didn’t do enough research before beginning development, Blue Whale offered significant expertise in the iOS field. Beta testing indicates that the full launch will go quite well. Blue Whale is a trusted development partner.

We're a software development company and we build web-hosted apps, primarily for the oilfield service industry. We have 12 apps currently on the market. They touch every aspect of field service work and it creates a workflow for field service companies. It's usually used alongside an ERP [Enterprise Resource Planning] system, such as SAP or QuickBooks.

My role is Head of Development and Operations.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Whale?

We only do .NET-based development. We wanted to extend our platform to the iOS platform and that's where we use Blue Whale Apps.

Did they provide anything else other than iOS development?

iOS development was really it. The Blue Whale Apps project manager has been real helpful in the design and workflow more than I expected. We haven't had anything on the iOS platform, so when it comes to different screen sizes, and making them fit into a screen flow on the iPhone, they’ve been very supportive.

There' have been times where I've said “This screen will never fit a phone; it's impossible.” Their team comes back with some screenshots and it's broken up where it looks really nice. That's a big value add for me.

How did you come to work with Blue Whale Apps?

It's kind of interesting. We only tried one other app development agency. We're located in Central Tennessee and I actually have an office in Houston, Texas as well. I tried a local developer there in Houston and had a terrible experience. Then I went to Google and just searched for the number one app developer or companies, and Blue Whale Apps came up at the top of the list. We did one small pilot project with them and haven't looked back.

It's going to be $10,000 to $50,000.

Not to date. After this version gets published, I would be willing to bet that we're going to have some nice numbers. I've intentionally kept it to just my beta customers so far.

Is there anything Blue Whale Apps could have improved or done differently?

If anything, I would say it would be in the data gathering process upfront. In the first pilot project that we did with Blue Whale Apps, we had some issues that came about after development had begun and it was a combination of us not being familiar with the iOS platform, and Blue Whale taking for granted some things that we already knew, but not having developed on that platform before, we weren't aware of. Especially with first timers on the iOS platform, Blue Whale apps could gather a little more detail in their data collection upfront. That being said, after our first project, I came to know their expectations and we're good.

...a lot of time that aggravates our vendors because we like to move so fast and we'll push on them. The Blue Whale team has actually been the opposite. They push our schedule...so they can continue working faster. Spot on the schedule!
    They hit every estimate. He didn't come in below but he comes in right on. They have stuck to every estimate they’ve given me. I don't have a comparison to other developers because I don't think I've used anybody that would be their equivalent.

Sound Measuring App Development for Startup

"I wanted a team that would challenge my thoughts and offer suggestions on how to create a better app ... and Blue Whale Apps certainly met that challenge."

Blue Whale designed and developed an iOS app to measure ambient sound levels and help users filter locations by noise level. They also built the associated website and marketing materials.

Greg Farber
CEO, App Startup

Blue Whale didn’t just build the app: they were deeply involved in crafting the vision and bringing the app to life. Despite very minor communication issues, Blue Whale met the challenge and delivered a simple, elegant solution.

Soundprint is an app that measures the noise decibel levels of one's environment and creates a noise database where a user can find a quiet, medium, or loud venue, such as restaurant, bar, or coffee shop.

What role do you play there?

I'm the CEO and creator of the app.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Whale Apps?

Having no experience with any app and being deficient with various technologies, I needed help in designing and developing the vision I had for the app.

Blue Whale Apps designed the logo, app, and website. They also developed the app for the iOS platform.

For all the services combined, this was a $10,000 to $50,000 project.

What distinguishes Blue Whale Apps from other providers?

I wanted a team that would challenge my thoughts and offer suggestions on how to create a better app than the one I was envisioning, and Blue Whale Apps certainly met that challenge.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

Blue Whale Apps did a good job of recommending simplicity with the app development, and I thank them for that. I probably would have even it even simpler than I went forward with. There were some minor communication issues, but I think that had much to do with the fact that I had never done this type of work before and could have communicated certain things better.

I highly commend them for their punctuality and meeting deadlines. They are very strong in this field and during the interview phase. This was another quality that was apparent compared to other development shops.

Team Augmentation for App Startup

They're good. I'm sticking with them for the long haul with the results that they have been producing.

Blue Whale served as the development partner for an app startup. They contributed their strategic guidance and development expertise to turn a social network app into a reality.

New York City Metro Area
Nick Connelly
CEO, Lapis Sphere Technologies

Blue Whale researched the product idea and harnessed powerful project management methods to deliver a truly enjoyable app. With a keen eye for detail and strong strategic thinking, they were able to turn around a failed venture from another provider and make something extraordinary.

Lapis Sphere Technologies develops mobile apps. We've been through a couple iterations. We started with one app development company, and it didn't work out. Our current iteration is with Blue Whale Apps.

I'm the CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Blue Whale Apps?

My background is not in programming. Some people can develop something themselves. I had a great idea, but I needed other resources that could help me accomplish my dream. You can look at those who are freelancers that will do the programming for you. You can pick a company like Blue Whale Apps, people who have the expertise, knowledge, and expert programmers of different skill levels. They help you create your dream.

Partnering with someone like Blue Whale helped us align with what we should do especially because we weren't experienced in creating apps. They helped us drive a phenomenal product. I think aligning with someone that has more of a strategic focus is more cost-efficient.

Blue Whale Apps has only worked with us on this single product – a social app for iPhone.

How did you come to work with Blue Whale Apps?

The first company I had was local, and they were terrible. If you're doing this for the first time, you don't know what price points to expect. You can get taken advantage of. We did a nationwide search and restricted it to the East Coast. We started sampling companies, and Blue Whale Apps stood out because of their attention to detail. They looked at and downloaded our previous app, and they saw what we were doing. They asked so many questions which I loved, they wanted to know what our initial app was all about and what we wanted to accomplish. They showed us what they had done in the past, and it showed that knew what they were doing. Once they showed us their price point, we knew Blue Whale Apps was the way to go.

The partnership so far lands between $50,000 and $80,000.

Our partnership is ongoing.

Before Blue Whale Apps, we took the first app our team developed to South by Southwest and got horrible feedback from users. "It wasn't programmed right. It wasn't aesthetically pleasing." Once we had our beta round, we had such negative reviews so we knew we had to rethink our technology and work it a different way. We started working with Blue Whale and, when we launched our new app, the results right out of the gate were great. People said it was the real deal. They couldn't believe that it came from the same company that delivered our first app.

What distinguishes Blue Whale Apps from other providers?

Blue Whale Apps has a specific project management process. Right out of the gate, they assign a project manager and use some great project management tools. They use a tool called BaseCamp. The communication pathway through them is so easy because everything that's talked about is in a very easy database to access that we interface with every day. I'm stationed in upstate New York and they're in Florida. Having seamless communication across the nation is priceless. It's almost like they're right down the road. For them to give us that level of care where we have very quick turnaround was great.

I got taken advantage of with my first app developer, but Blue Whale Apps has made everything better. They're awesome.

Is there anything Blue Whale Apps could have improved or done differently?

Not at this moment. I think they're good. I'm sticking with them for the long haul with the results that they have been producing.

Cost could always be better.

Mobile App Development for Training School

"Blue Whale hit a home run for us. I was very impressed with everyone that I dealt with there."

Blue Whale Apps assisted the client by rebuilding their app from scratch and making it iOS 7 compliant. The agency also provided back-end development services.

New York Metro Area
IT Manager, Training School

Blue Whale Apps exceeded the client’s expectations by consistently delivering quality work and contributing to an extremely successful project. The client praises Blue Whale Apps for their excellent performance and highly recommends them to others.

Please describe your company.

Our company is [a] New York City-[based] training school that’s been in business for more than 20 years. We offer a weekend-long course for nurse anesthetists preparing to take a certifying exam to make them certified and registered as a nurse anesthetist.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I do IT [information technology] work for the parent company that owns [our company]. I have an IT, project management, and project development background. I was the point person working directly with Blue Whale. All communications flowed through me, and I was responsible for the data.

What was your goal for working with Blue Whale Apps?

We have about a dozen weekend-long courses that we offer around the United States. We add some study trials that we sell as well. Our main resource is Memory Master, which is a question-and-answer format, which comes in a printed book form, like a traditional flashcard. A couple of years ago, we rolled out the app version of the Memory Master. It's a collection of more than 4,000 questions and answers in a lot of categories identified by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. We adhere to their standards.

We have a lengthy database in place that we use to maintain the content and to output it to preproduction and design tools. We went live about two years ago with version 1 of an app, which was HTML5 implementation, it was clunky looking and got us out the door and into the app space.

We're trying to expand our digital offerings, and the app was the first thing we did.

I was in New York City at the time, and Blue Whale came up. We put feelers out to three companies, and two of them talked to us quickly. Blue Whale got back to us the same day, and we started talking to them about the project. We scoped out a project that would not only rebuild the app from scratch and make it iOS 7 compliant, but also allow us to move the back end database onto another platform and make it an integral part of the app. Before, there was a disconnect between our database and the app.

What we got from Blue Whale was not only a great-looking app, but the back end to maintain it and push out updates as frequently as we want to. We also got administrative capabilities to help support the print production side of this product.

What was your process for selecting Blue Whale Apps with which to work?

Two years into the work, we worked with a small, single-shop guy who produced a flashcard format app with different content. We leveraged what he had done before. We weren’t able to update it well, and it was clunky. We mutually agreed to part ways with that developer at the end of 2013.

We contracted with Blue Whale in March of 2014, and they put together a structured and well-defined process. We gave them some milestones along the way, and they hit every one of those milestones and then some. They were very proactive in communicating status, which was a serious problem that I had with the old developer.

In some ways, it's a fuzzy spec because there is a lot of old content that we’ve been dragging forward. I gave them the source files from our original system with an explanation, and they ran with it. They definitely hit it out of the park as far as not only creating a beautiful app, but also giving us a functioning back end that works.

The budget was between $60,000 to $70,000.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

The feedback along the way from our group was that Blue Whale produced the smoothest IT project we’ve ever done here. We’ve had some expensive projects that ended badly. We’ve been trying to improve on that. Part of it involved personnel and picking the right partner. Blue Whale hit a home run for us.

I was very impressed with everyone that I dealt with there, including the developer, designer, and project manager. The whole model and how they structured the project and produced an app along the way was outstanding.

We had some ill will with some customers of the previous app because it was so clunky and looked bad. They really cared about the content at the end of the day, so they were willing to overlook things like the fact that it wasn’t a native app, but once we went live with Blue Whale's app, our biggest complainers were thrilled with it. It's an important resource for them to pass this test, which allows them to double their income. It's a high-stakes, high-pressure test, so they look for every advantage that they can get to pass the exam. We want to be the people that provide that. Blue Whale did that and a whole lot more for us. We're going to continue to use them for updates to the app and some other app projects in the future. I would go back to them.

We didn’t want it to be a one-off project. It's an expensive app that you have to be able to update instead of rewriting from scratch every couple of years. We feel good about picking the right partner for this project, and they did a great job for us. We couldn’t be happier.

Updates on the project were frequent and we had regular communication. They did that by default. We were an integral part of the process, too, so when they needed collateral or other materials from us, they kept their eye on everything. When they needed to engage us, they did. When we took an issue to them, they did everything possible to address it. It would be hard to improve on the process that we had, especially knowing what I know now about the data that I handed to them. They made sense out of all of it and produced what we had imagined. The steps were sequential iterative, flowed well, and at certain points in the process, we knew what we were signing off on to move to the next step. Everything was clearly articulated and documented along the way.

We're a small company and don’t have unlimited resources like a large corporation with a big IT department. We have to make sure we have the right vendors and technology partners to help us. It's a big investment for us. The app will eventually pay for itself within a year or so through app sales, plus it gives us a platform going forward that we didn’t have before.

I love what they did for us, and I look forward to work with them in the future.

iPad Application for University Music Course

"They’re professional, they’re organized, and they appear to have a process that they follow."

June - Dec. 2013

Blue Whale designed and developed an iPad app to help music students compose and perform their own songs, and to allow their professor to give feedback on the same platform.

Midland, Texas
Dr. Dan Keast, Associate Professor & Director of Bands
University of Texas of the Permian Basin

Prepared and responsive, Blue Whale made the entire process feel seamless. They excelled in identifying the best solution for the problem, as well as education on how to maximize the app’s potential. They provided an immediate bug fix on an urgent matter, demonstrating their commitment to quality.

Could you provide a brief description of your company?

I am the chair of the music department at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin.

Could you describe the business challenges you were trying to address?

My research area as a faculty member is online music courses. I needed a way to interact with my students in a way that I could not interact with email and cellphones. I needed to give immediate feedback to the students in a very challenging activity, which is to write their own song. I envisioned this app. I didn’t know how to build it, so I had to call Gregg [Weiss, CEO and founder] at Blue Whale. He helped me wireframe, tell the story, and work out all the interaction with the students so that they came out successful every single time using this app to write the song and perform it as well. It records the song and sends me a copy of the song so that I can give the student a grade. It’s a very slick program, wonderfully done.

Were they responsible for delivering the full solution?

I floundered a little bit, trying to figure out how to write the code myself before I gave up. That’s where I contacted Blue Whale Apps and asked them if it was even possible. Gregg said it was totally possible. It’s going to be a little innovative, so we’re going to have to do some trial and error testing to figure out if this could work because we were trying to play a sound file as we were simultaneously recording. So, I knew the way I wanted it to lay out. The staff there were quite helpful in making that come true in a way that I was happy as a teacher. In fact, it came out better than what I had expected, so they did a great job.

What type of application is it?

It is an iPad only app. I hope to go back to Blue Whale soon and have it developed to the iPhone, which would require several more screens added, just so the user experience is as good of quality as the iPad is right now.

How long did the project take?

We were doing it over the summer with all kinds of financial year-end things here at the university, so it was a nightmare trying to get things done with my schedule. They probably could have had it done in 90 days. We ended up stretching it out to nearly six months, but they were very good about it.

I have to say that after we launched the app in December, we found a glitch that we didn’t catch in beta testing. It was a minor glitch, but it was something we needed to address right away. It was addressed and fixed in the iTunes store within days. It was just fabulous, the support I’ve gotten when I’ve had the problem with the app. I call them, and they re-create the crash or the problem, and fix it. Within a couple of days, it’s fresh in the iTunes store. It’s great.

Why did you choose them with which to work?

They didn’t have the lowest bid. The thing that attracted me to Blue Whale is that they came back with an exceptionally well-detailed outline, timelines, and everything. I said those are the people I want to work with. They’re professional, they’re organized, and they appear to have a process that they follow. People all along the way are specialists in each step of the process. I knew those were the people I needed to design this project, not just the lowest bidder on the totem pole, but somebody with definite experience and an idea of how to make this work.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they’ve delivered?

It is working wonderfully for my students using the app. I can assess my students easily now, using the results from this app. I am actually going to be doing a study on how much better the students are doing because of this app compared to the old way we used to do it. So, this is wonderful, and I can’t tell you how pleased I am with the product.

How would you describe Blue Whale Apps’ performance?

Their performance is wonderful. The delay in the timeline was my fault on our end. I had to record all the sound bites we needed for the app and send it them. They were great. They showed me how to use Dropbox to transfer the files. It was the slickest thing. They were so good, so handy, and so easy to work with, because they knew what they needed and they found a way to get it from me in the easiest process possible. That was a great thing.

When working them, is there anything you’d consider unique or special about them that distinguishes them from other vendors you’ve used?

I have not worked with any other software company, so this is new to me. I felt like they did a great job. They were prepared. They were experienced with the project. What I really liked from the beginning was that they had a process, and they had a professional at each step of the process. Then I had my go-to person in the entire way. It was always a great and seamless project, just because they had such good, professional staff working with me.

Is there any area that they could improve on or that you would do differently?

I was at a convention done by Blue Whale when I was in Florida, around November, near the end of the project. I actually went and saw them face to face. It was awesome. I loved working with them face to face, even more so than from West Texas to the East Coast to Florida. It’s so hard to tell somebody that’s not really a musician how to do something virtually. They had quite the task trying to decipher what I was trying to get them to understand. When I met with them face to face, we met in a nice conference room. I really had a great experience there, too. I felt really good all along the way.

Mobile Development for Fantasy Sports Company

"They [Blue Whale Apps] seem to communicate well with each other as an organization. I definitely would recommend them."

With the goal of being featured in the App Store, the client hired Blue Whale Apps to provide app development services. The agency also contributed to strategy elements.

New York Metro Area
Founder, Fantasy Sports Company

Blue Whale Apps succeeds as a partner by consistently delivering quality work. The agency is praised for their responsiveness. There was a small disagreement early on, but it was a learning experience and Blue Whale Apps is recommended to others.

Please describe your firm and your role.

We’re a fantasy sports content and event management company. There are two parts of the business. We run very high-end premium fantasy sports drafts that attempt to simulate for fantasy sports leagues the actual audience experience that they see on ESPN with the NFL draft at Radio City Music Hall. It’s very high-end venues with great technology and premium food.

On the content side, which is where Blue Whale comes in, we’re producing the first direct personalized fantasy sports content app where a fantasy sports player can be in contact with one of our national experts. These are people that know their fantasy sports.

We have a network of national experts that range from print journalists to radio show hosts to prominent bloggers [who] also compete in professional fantasy sports leagues. They’re our network so a novice can connect through our app and ask an expert a question. We connect them with a nationally renowned fantasy sports expert through the app to give them answers to their questions.

I am the founder.

What was your goal for the work with Blue Whale Apps?

We’re right now on the one-yard line with Apple waiting for approval from them on the app. Blue Whale has developed it right from the get-go.

Can you describe the scope of work in more detail?

App development was the main service, but they have also provided ideas relative to the business that we’ve implemented. It isn’t just app development. They understand the concept, the product, what our mission goal is. They’re pretty good within the confines and constructs of the app, very effective at coming up with ideas to make the app even better, which, of course,enhances the content.

I like that. No ego there. They’re a nice outfit.

How did you find and select them for the project?

One of our staff members found them, we gave her an assignment to put together a list of some good mobile app developers, particularly strong in iOS. We got a list and it came back to three names. It was recommended that we go with Blue Whale.

Can you give a sense of the size of that initiative with either a general cost range or just the amount of hours it took them to complete?

It’s been a six-month process. There were a lot of different iterations; going back to the drawing board and then moving along. It started from wireframes.

Are you satisfied with their work?

They’re easy to get a hold of. They stay on top of timeline management. They seem to communicate well with each other as an organization. The right hand knows what the left hand is doing there. There are no holes in their game, from their CEO to the point person that we’ve been dealing with and the designers. They’re a good outfit. It’s a little premature to put a ribbon on it but, at this point in time, I’d give them five stars.

Is there anything else unique or special about them that stands out for you as different from other developers?

They’re well integrated. Like I said, their design team knows what the programmers are doing. Management knows what the data programmers are doing or the developers are doing. I like the ubiquity of it.

Looking back on the work, is there anything that you think they could improve upon or something you might do differently?

Early on in the process, there were minor issues with the contract. We know the contract is never perfect in any relationship so we understand the disconnect. There was one element we were developing for the iPad, the issue was whether it would be in landscape mode or not. I had an assumption that it would not. The way it was designed was the opposite of what I thought it was going to be. I didn’t ask and they didn’t offer in the upfront contract negotiation to change.

I could be just as much as at fault as them, but I think from a vendor’s perspective, they might want to be a little more specific in some of the finer points. This isn't a criticism, but something I would change.

Blue Whale Apps isn't aware, but there are people that I’ve referred them to already. They’ll probably call them once the summer is over. I definitely would recommend them.

Development for Mobile App Startup

"They [Blue Whale Apps] always complete the projects on time. I’ve never had an issue."

The client hired Blue Whale Apps for assistance with creating their app. The agency provided mobile app development services.

Freelancer

Sacramento, CA
CEO, Mobile App Startup

Blue Whale Apps is a valuable and reliable partner. The agency is praised for their accessibility and ability to fulfill requests. The client has no complaints for Blue Whale Apps’ performance and recommends them to others for their great performance.

Please describe your company.

I started doing Internet marketing, and then I moved into mobile app development.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the only employee right now. I'm the founder.

What was your goal for working with Blue Whale Apps?

Blue Whale calls me a few times a week. If I have any questions, they usually get back to me the same day. They were a good fit for my vision of the app. When you first start out, you think about the overarching vision. I worked with Blue Whale and communicated what I wanted, and how things should work in reality because I don’t know the app space.

Over several months, we chiseled it down with ongoing development toward the end goal. We had clear communication, and I learned a lot. The development is still ongoing. I’m starting to market the app now, but there are always new things that I think of that I want, and they’re always happy to accommodate me.

Their main work is mobile application development, but it also pairs with a desktop site. The desktop site is fairly basic right now because I’m having them focus on the mobile app development. They are part of the future progress when we build out the desktop site.

The app is ready to go. I need to market it with my Internet marketing company. I expect to launch it by the end of July of 2014. I don’t see a plan to stop, since there will always be updates and new features to make it better. You never want to stop development because then you fall behind.

What was your process for selecting Blue Whale Apps with which to work?

I did a Google search for a lot of different companies and got a lot of quotes for the same proposals. Blue Whale ended up being the best fit and experience for me, and I started working with them. Instead of hiring developers to do that, Blue Whale is the perfect contractor for me right now.

So far, the cost has been close to $100,000. They put about 400 to 500 hours into the project. They did the initial proposal, and I signed up for a certain number of hours per month. If they don’t complete those hours, they roll over to the next month.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It is too early to track metrics.

Are you satisfied with Blue Whale Apps' performance?

Yes. I am very pleased. It's exactly what I wanted. It's a social app, so you can share photos that go on a slide show. Blue Whale figured out the logistics that I needed since I hadn’t planned that part.

I’m very satisfied. It's exactly what I had in mind. The app has a great design and great colors. I gave them the idea for the design, and they just knocked it out of the park. They created the app, and if there are any bugs, they use all the latest tools like Bug Tracker, Flurry, and have all the analytics. I didn’t know anything about those, so they got those going for me. The end product is very smooth and easy to use. I'm very pleased with it.

I haven’t worked with other developers, but Blue Whale is very accessible. They always make time. Other developers put you into a queue, working you around other big projects. Blue Whale is always easy to access. They get back to me the same day, even on weekends. I can Skype with them whenever I need to. They always complete the projects on time. I’ve never had an issue.

The only thing I could think of is if they were a bigger company, they could get things done faster. I don’t know if that's even possible because they had a few people working on it. I talked to some big companies, and they had the same timeline that Blue Whale had. They get their developments out within a week. They have some of the best programmers I’ve worked with. I can't think of anything actually.

Overall Score I got a lot of proposals, and they had the best one.
    They’re a great company to work with.

Mobile App Development for Sports Website

"I’ve worked with a lot of developers, and Blue Whale is in the top tier."

The client partnered with Blue Whale Apps to create an app. Blue Whale Apps provided iOS development services.

Chicago Metro Area
Owner, Sports Web Site

Blue Whale Apps performed well by fulfilling the client’s requests and delivering an app that functions as intended. The client has no complaints for Blue Whale Apps’ performance and highly recommends the agency to others.

Please describe your company.

We’re an Internet-based company that provides sports information.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the president of the company.

What was your goal for working with Blue Whale Apps?

We wanted them to create an app.

They provided mobile application development. The app was for iOS.

What was your process for selecting Blue Whale Apps with which to work?

I spoke to a few different app developers and got a few estimates. I spoke to them to see if they were a good fit as far as personality for the project. We started with a Google search.

The project was completed a few months ago after the tech issues were addressed. It's just the nature of the beast. I have a website, so I know how to manage IT [Information Technology] projects.

It cost about $40,000 to $50,000.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

The app is fine. The success or failure of the app is not based upon their work, it's based upon my effort. I don’t hold them accountable for my sales, only that the app is able to functionally process the traffic that I deliver to the app. Apps don’t market themselves. I have more than a million visitors to my site every month. That’s how I get traffic to my app. You can have the greatest app in the world, but if no one knows it exists, it's useless.

I’ve worked with a lot of developers, and Blue Whale is in the top tier. I’ve been in the business for six years, which is not a long time, but on the Internet, it's a lifetime. I’ve worked with my share of developers. During the process of doing technical work, there are always glitches. I’ve never had a project where they just turned it on, and everything just worked or I didn’t want to change something. Maybe I didn’t describe it well enough, or I wanted to change something after trying it.

Many times, developers will look for an out. The project all sounds good, and the first 90 percent is always on cruise control. Then, the launch comes in the final 10 percent. That 10 percent takes more work than the 90 percent. The developers know that. It's frustrating because you thought you were done, or close to it, and you might not be as close as you thought.

With Blue Whale Apps, the project did not go perfectly but they saw it through to the end to make sure it worked. I respect that highly. Most developers will say that you have 30 days when you're done for them to work on everything. Blue Whale gave us as long as it took. I know that they worked very long hours, so I paid them some extra money. They would have lost a lot of money on my app, but they saw it through to the end.

They didn’t abandon me, saying that they gave me what I paid for. I’ve gotten that from some developers in the past, and some of them have big egos, saying how could we not be happy with what they delivered. If it doesn’t work, I’m not happy.

There were some issues, and every app is different. Mine has an e-commerce piece, a video piece, [and] email functionality. There are a lot of different things going on, and something always slips through the cracks. Blue Whale saw it through to the end, and I think that's awesome.

I'll break even on the app at some point, which is a side project for me. I'm a Web pro and I know how to monetize the Internet. I’m learning about the apps, and they gave me the guidance about the app audience.

They did the project within my budget, and they didn’t push me to spend a lot more money.

Nobody's perfect, but it's so important to be able to trust people. I have nothing but good things to say about Blue Whale Apps.

If there were delays, they were my fault, especially if I changed something.
    I’ve recommended them to other people already. They stand behind their word, so I know they won't embarrass me.

Test Preparation iPad Application

Professionalism:

Blue Whale Apps developed an iPad test preparation app, as well as a console to manage a database of over 600,000 questions.

Small business

Monsey, New York
President, Mobile App Developer

Blue Whale Apps delivered high quality results. The project was completed on time and within budget.

Can you briefly describe your company?

We are an educational software company that creates test preparation software for students of all ages. We are located in South Florida.

What were your goals for the project?

We have developed software that allows students to create their own tests since 1984. The tests that students can create can be in any subject, and through the years we have developed a database of more than 600,000 questions for students to choose from. Since we first created the software, we have made it available on the various emerging computer systems that students use. As many schools are adopting iPads, we needed to find a development partner with experience developing iOS applications.

What technologies were used?

Blue Whale Apps developed an application for the iPad, as well as a console that allows us to manage the database of questions available for students using the iPad to choose from.

• N/A NPS
    I would recommend Blue Whale to other people looking for an iOS developer, and we will be using Blue Whale in the future.