We engineer world-class software for SMBs

Binary Studio is a seasoned software development firm with over 13 years of experience in building world-class software for small and medium-sized businesses.

Our greatest advantage among competitors is an incredibly thorough and competitive selection and training processes, which help us assemble effective teams from the top-level talent across Ukraine.

As one of the premier development firms in Lviv, we attract and train highly proficient engineers who are reliable, dependable, and invested in their work. We strive to be true partners to our clients and always seek to be a valued part of their team.

2005
Lviv, Ukraine
  • Klovskyi Uzviz
    Kyiv 01021
    Ukraine

Binary Studio mainly focuses on establishing strategic partnerships with SMBs. The projects we develop either have global impact on communities, or are used by hundred thousands users, or even by companies giants from the Fortune 500. Here we present a short list of our customers and some of the projects we’ve been working on recently.

MassageBook: America's leading management solution for massage practices

Technologies: PHP / Symfony / MySQL / Marionette.js

With 800k active users, MassageBook is the most popular management solution and marketplace in the USA for massage therapists and their clients.  The cooperation with Binary Studio has lasted for more than 5 years.

Being an extension of MassageBook's in-house team, Binary Studio engineers helped rebuild the

platform from scratch, while leading the entire development process. The main achievements include:
  • Planning and developing the application modules architecture.
  • Implementing business logic on the back-end.
  • Developing API services and front-end functionality.
  • Developing native applications for mobile devices.
  • Building modules to connect Massage Book with third-party services (Stripe, Google Calendar, Social Networks, etc.).
  • Solution Integrations for communication with hardware.

FanAngel: a crowdfunding platform for sport fans

Technologies: PHP / Laravel / MySQL / AngularJS

Binary Studio has played a key role in FanAngel's transformation from its initial version into a stable and secure high-performance platform that is able to serve more than 3000 users per second.

Being an extension of FanAngel's team, our engineers played a key role in refactoring and testing the system to reflect SOLID principles.

Other achievements include:
  • Rebuilding the RESTful API and extending it with new capabilities;
  • Re-designing the project architecture;
  • Conception of a module based database design for easy scalability and maintenance;
  • Performance tuning and query optimization;
  • Managing security and data integrity.

Dynamic Reservations: SaaS platform for travel agents

Technologies: PHP 7 / Laravel (Lumen) / MySQL / Beanstalkd / AWS / PHPUnit / DDD / Event Sourcing / Javascript ES2016 / React.js / Redux / SASS / CodeceptJS / CircleCI

An innovative SaaS solution that provides tools for quotation and itinerary generation, as well as a specialized CRM-system for managing their customers, connecting to reservation systems like hotels, flights and car rentals.

As a

part of Dynamic Reservations’ team, Binary Studio engineers were responsible for the entire frontend development, as well as building a complex architecture behind the platform. Main tasks include:
  • Implementation of internal APIs for the communication between backend services;
  • Integration of third-party APIs for booking systems and other external services;
  • Development of Access & Identity Management functionality;
  • Development of the user interface for itinerary compilation (hotels, flights, car rentals, leisure activities, etc.), including PDF export functionality;
  • Implementation of a basic CRM solution.
Hackolade: revolutionary tool for information technology industry Image

Hackolade: revolutionary tool for information technology industry

Technologies: JS / ReactJS / redux / Electron / MongoDB

A revolutionary data modeling software for NoSQL databases targeted at data analysts, solution architects, and developers. Hackolade allows users to create and maintain visual data models which can be exported as MongoDB schema validation scripts. Among Hackolade's users are: Booking.com, Ebay, Air France KLM, AXA

Equitable, Inditex, Nokia, Nike, Panasonic, Philip Morris, SAP, Western Union, and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Binary Studio engineers have developed the application from scratch, they were responsible for:

• Conception and management of adequate development and release processes that ensured the timely delivery of the MVP application;
  • Building a complex desktop application for Windows, macOS and Linux, using cutting-edge web technologies (ReactJS, Electron);
  • Implementation of a rich user interface for visual modeling tools compliant with JSON Schema;
  • Development of reverse engineering functionality to extract data models from existing MongoDB databases;
  • Integrations for different versions of MongoDB, including support for connections using advanced authentication mechanisms (LDAP, Kerberos, etc.).
Hummingbird: a cross-platform app for cryptocurrency trades Image

Hummingbird: a cross-platform app for cryptocurrency trades

Technologies: React Native / Java / Objective C / Redux / JS / ES2016

Hummingbird is a high-performance application for placing and tracking trades on cryptocurrency and forex markets. With ratings of 4.5 stars on Google Play and 5 stars on the iOS App Store, users have termed this app “revolutionary.”

The Binary Studio's role has been crucial to Hummingbird's

development. As an integral part of a remote team, our engineers managed to:
  • Update existing features to be more user-friendly;
  • Integrate the platform with Valutrade's brokerage system;
  • Enhance the UI and made it more accessible for end users;
  • Update the native parts of the application.
Snapnurse: a booking app for healthcare industry Image

Snapnurse: a booking app for healthcare industry

Technologies: React/Redux/PostgreSQL/Node.js/Feathers/ES6

An innovative platform that allows real-time booking of nurses to fill in urgent empty shifts at American hospitals at a much lower cost. At the MVP stage, the platform started with 1,500 nurses onboard and was used by dozens of hospitals across the USA.

Binary Studio engineers are responsible for the entire development

of the platform from scratch. The main tasks include:

Designing the application architecture;

Development of rich engineering functionality to match nurses and hospitals.

Creation of an engaging interface for the app to be more intuitive and easy-to-use;

Integrating the platform with 3rd parties

Planning of further development to make the platform a universal solution.

Quicket: the platform for event organisation industry Image

Quicket: the platform for event organisation industry

Technologies: Angular 6/ ASP.NET MVC Web API/ Entity Framework 6.x/ Azure Services/ MS SQL Server

Binary Studio is currently rewriting a big portion of the Quicket platform that has already become faster and much more accessible for end users. It provides rich functionality: selling tickets, promoting and planning events, managing clients database, reporting, integration with social

media, API and a payment system.

Binary Studio engineers are rebuilding an event ticket platform as well as suggesting improvements on existing features. Our key tasks include:

Rewriting a large part or the website with a MVC setup;

Server optimization according to the client's requirements;

Modifying and implementing new features for event organization;

Planning of payment integration.

Smartwebs: management suite for homeowner associations Image

Smartwebs: management suite for homeowner associations

Technologies: .NET / AngularJS / Xamarin / MS SQL / Entity Framework / ASP.NET / Bootstrap

The Smartwebs management suite (SmartViolations, SmartArchitecturals, SmartWorkOrders) is a software solution for Homeowner Associations. The platform allows users to automate many of the most common duties required of community associations, and is used by 297 large companies

with up to 600 associations serving 2m homes all over America.

As an integral part of Smartwebs' team, Binary Studio's engineers played a key role in putting together the Smartwebs management suite by:

Rewriting the original site from Webforms into AngularJS;

Building a an entirely new application to manage accounting;

Maintaining and updating the mobile application.

Perform Group: the betting platform for sport fans Image

Perform Group: the betting platform for sport fans

Technologies: JS / Backbone.js / Marionette.js / Node.js / socket.io

Perform Group's Content Score Board (CSB) provides statistics for sporting events, live data visualisation and a video player. 110,000+ events are analysed each year with this platform, used by millions people over the world.

To transform Perform Group's vision into a fully responsive solution,

Binary Studio's engineers performed the following tasks:

Designing the application architecture from scratch;

Integration of customizable ads based on geoinformation and game status;

Adaptation of the application to different sports;

Implementation of numerous highly-detailed views displaying complex data from various sources.

Dev Team Augmentation for School Fundraising Platform

"The developers from Binary consistently deliver excellent work."

2015 - Ongoing

A developer from Binary Studio built a web-based fundraising platform from scratch. They used PHP and MySQL for the backend and Angular for the frontend. The team provides ongoing maintenance and updates.

Park City, Utah
David Burton
Co-Founder & CEO, FanAngel

Internal stakeholders are pleased with the quality of Binary Studio's services. Dedicated and proactive, the team maintains seamless communication channels despite a significant time zone difference. Their willingness to go above and beyond for their client sets them apart from other providers.

I’m the co-founder and CEO of FanAngel, which is a donation platform. It’s similar to GoFundMe, but we focus on school sports teams. We support other groups as well, like specific classrooms, school bands, choirs, and other clubs. We’ve been around for about four years now, and we have almost 700 schools on the platform at the moment.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

I was looking for high-quality developers that I could hire at a reasonable price, which is hard to do as a startup. I also wanted someone who could support the platform over the long term. It takes a ton of time to find the right talent at the right price, and I wanted to outsource that process through Binary Studio.

They’ve provided consistent development talent from the outset. One of their developers helped me build the system from scratch. I don’t ask them to do project management or design work, but whenever I make an initial design, I’ll usually discuss it with the lead developer.

I have graphic designers that handle templates and aesthetic elements. Most of Binary’s work is on the backend. The product is a web application written in PHP and MySQL. We also run it through AWS.

The frontend is in Angular, with some HTML and CSS, as well. We also have third-party integrations for email and other tasks. The application is old, but we’re making updates and changes all the time. I have a developer from Binary working on it every day.

Right now, I only have one developer from Binary, because we’re done with the core development process. At one point, I had a team of five developers working on the product, two of which were from Binary.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

I reached out to some CEO friends of mine to ask about finding high-quality development resources. I was trying to replicate the level of work that I’d seen at my previous role but on a startup budget. Because of those constraints, I started looking overseas to try and cut the price in half.

One of my colleagues recommended Binary, and I added them to my shortlist. Then I did my due diligence. I wasn’t willing to compromise on quality. I gave coding tests, I did interviews—I tried to vet each company as best I could, and Binary stood out from the rest.

I spoke with Artem (CEO, Binary Studio) at the beginning. He knew I had specific needs and even admitted to not having the right resources at the time. What stuck out to me, though, is that he promised to find the right person for my project, even if it took a while.

We’ve spent around $130,000 at this point.

The partnership started back in 2015, and it’s ongoing.

I don’t have any discrete metrics, but I can say that the product is incredible. The developers from Binary consistently deliver excellent work.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

My first developer agreed to work according to my time zone. I know that’s atypical, and that made the process very easy. Now we overlap for a couple of hours each day. The time zone difference has never been a problem, and I’m used to working with remote staff.

We use standard project management tools like Jira and Confluence. We also communicate over Slack. We handle most of the work through Jira tickets. I try to sync up with my developer for at least an hour each day. They usually stay pretty late, which gives me a period of about three or four hours of reliable communication.

The quality of their developers is the most important piece for me. Artem has told me about their internal training approach, which seems to be effective, given the results that I’m seeing. As long as they keep performing at the same level, I’m happy.

They’ve also been great about handling issues with developers. I’ve only had one person who didn’t work out over these past four years, and Binary did backflips to make sure everything was right. They found this developer outside of their team because I asked them too. I was refunded the money that I paid for that person, and they found a new developer right away.

That kind of service builds loyalty among customers. It’s one of the many reasons why I’ve stayed with Binary over the years. With other developers, I need to provide quality assurance. That’s not the case with them. Aside from the one outlier, all of their developers have been fantastic.

I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. We have such a great working relationship. I know I’ve already said this, but I’m super happy right now.

The most important thing when you’re working with an outsourced team is that you need to have an in-house lead. Whether it be your CTO or an internal project manager, you need to have someone on your side that’s architecting and running the system.

If you do that, your project will go smoothly. The success rate goes way down if you outsource the project management. You need at least one technical lead on your team—and this applies to partnerships with anyone, not just Binary.

Overall Score Once again, I feel like I have the perfect ratio of development quality to price point. That’s what I’m looking for, and that’s what Binary delivers.
    I recognize that our deadlines are pretty hard to meet, but we haven’t heard any complaints from them. They’ve done an amazing amount of work for us.
    They’re more expensive than other shops, but their developers are better, so it’s worth it. I feel like I’m getting the right quality-to-price ratio.
    I'm super happy with the quality of the developers that they supply.
    I refer people to Binary all the time.

Data Management Platform for Staffing Software Company

"By every qualitative and quantitative metric, our developer has been great."

Apr. 2019 - Ongoing

Binary Studio provided a dedicated outsourced resource who developed a backend data management API in Node.js. The developer also worked on systems integration.

Atlanta, Georgia
Davin Green
CTO, StaffWRX

The developer has been productive as measured by burn rate tracking and reliable in terms of delivery and project management. Binary Studio offers highly specialized resources with an uncommon degree of training and expertise.

I’m the CTO of a staffing software business. We create software for large distribution centers or anyone who has a lot of variable or temporary staff, and we work with a staffing partner company. Our texting platform engages people who work in these positions through scheduling and other HR tasks.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

We needed them to build a backend API for data management.

They provided us with a dedicated developer who specializes in backend full-stack JavaScript development. The developer is working on a data management platform for our backend. It’s a Node.js API that manages employee data from our partnered companies. They’ve also worked on systems integration tasks.

We’ve worked remotely with Pavel (Web Developer, Binary Studio).

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

We found them through a Google search and we also evaluated them using review sites. We reached out to about 20 agencies in total. We were looking for experience and an effective onboarding and training process. Binary Studio stood out because their training is tied into their academy, which is a pretty intensive development program. Compared to others, their developers offered a much higher degree of experience.

We’ve spent around $40,000.

We started working together in April 2019 and the engagement is ongoing.

We conduct burn rate tracking on user story development. I’d say Pavel’s productivity has been above average compared to other developers I’ve worked with. He’s very experienced and easy to communicate with. For example, I took a three-week vacation and left him in charge of high-level tasks, and he did a great job with those. By every qualitative and quantitative metric, our developer has been great.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We follow a well-documented agile process and Pavel has followed all of the procedures and processes with no complaints. He’s been flexible in meeting our needs.

They worked with us on production, which was helpful to us as a small business. They’ve been transparent, letting us know ahead of time when our developer was up for a promotion and a higher rate, and they offered us a transition discount. Our point of contact is based in the US, which makes it easier for them to understand the company and communicate. That worked well when we were scoping the project and working out the contract.

No, nothing comes to mind. However, their developers are highly specialized, so we’ve gotten pushback from our developer with regard to any non-backend-related tasks.

Talk to them every single day and ensure that your project management process is very well-defined to make up for communication gaps and time differences.

They’re more focused on deadlines than we are.
    Their rates are a little high for their area, but they’ve been negotiable.
    I’ve worked with teams that were more productive, but they’re above average.

Development Team for Nurse Shift Booking Platform

"Despite being under a lot of pressure, they remain very professional."

n/a

Dec. 2017 - Ongoing

Binary Studio provided development for a custom nurse booking platform. Built with React and JavaScript, the system integrated time management and payment systems with a marketplace for nurses.

Atlanta, Georgia
Radhika Mitter
Senior Project Manager, SnapNurse

Binary Studio successfully built an MVP and quickly brought the product to launch. The system has been adopted by large hospitals and medical practices. Their team was smart, hard-working, and professionally executed an agile development structure.

I am a senior project manager at SnapNurse. We have an on-demand nurse shift booking platform. We're a small company, and I am responsible for many roles.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

We were looking for a consultant to provide development help for our platform.

Our company has many facets. When I started working with the company, we were trying to build a booking system between hospitals and nurses. We onboard the nurses, and then facility managers can go on to find nurses and book them on demand. They have developed the platform from the very beginning.

We integrated a time management system as well as a payment system into the booking platform. We're now able to use these two platforms separately as well. The payment feature runs with InstaPay. It's integrated with various banks and enables nurses and workers to be paid on demand. They can submit their time and if approved, they can get paid instantly.

We have used React, Node.js, and JavaScript as our main technology stack. Additionally, we have also used Heroku and other technologies.

We have three developers as well as two testers. We started off with one developer, and soon after we added an additional developer. Recently, we added a couple more people to the team and they are also performing very well.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

We had used resources from Binary Studio before and had been very pleased.

We began working with them in December 2017, and the work is still ongoing.

We have clients who are already using it, and clients in the pipeline who are going to be using the system as well. Currently, the platform is used by very well-known hospitals in the United States and many other small doctor’s offices.

Within two to three months, we were able to release an MVP for the platform which has allowed people to start looking into it and use it for booking. It was initially integrated with third-party software, but we were able to quickly make it independent. We're adding features to the platform every sprint. It's an ongoing process, but we're showing the results to management very quickly. Users are able to use the new features as we implement them.

I think we made a fantastic choice in choosing Binary Studio as our resource company.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We have adopted an agile methodology and perform development work in three-week sprints. I work with the developers on a daily basis through our CTO. We use the full suite of Atlassian products such as Jira, Confluence and many other tools.

I love them. They're smart, hard-working, and aware of the urgency of the situation. Despite being under a lot of pressure, they remain very professional. If need be, they are able to provide us with help late into the evenings or weekends; whenever we need it. The team very polite and humble while also being very smart and hard-working.

For now, it is mostly working well. We're a startup, so we do have a lot of pressure and work. Our business and leadership team is in Atlanta and California, but the dev team is in Ukraine and they do have a lot of holidays as opposed to the US. Out of the blue, every month or every other month, there is a national holiday and progress gets disrupted at that time. It can get a little edgy with management sometimes. I am not sure if it is doable or not, but it would be nice if they could be compliant with the holiday structure that we have so we're working as a team.

It seems like they have a very diligent hiring process, and they have a sharp team. I have not seen a single person who has been onboarded onto the team and is not able to help us right away. They are very easy and quick learners, and ready to jump into the production crunch within a month of them joining. I believe Binary does their due diligence on bringing in resources. I would be a good reference for them.

• N/A Cost

Development Team Augmentation for Tourist WebApp

"They’re very talented people and we’re happy with them."

Jun. 2019 - Ongoing

Binary Studio provided a team member to assist with backend and frontend development for a booking web application. The developer wrote server code and set up database interaction.

Dublin, Ireland
Andrew Kelly
CTO, TripAdmit

The developer from Binary Studio integrated well with the in-house team and began writing code within days of joining. They communicated well, worked hard, and were dedicated to meeting the needs of the project.

I’m the CTO of TripAdmit, a tourist web app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

I needed help with the development of our app.

We provide a solution for airlines, primarily to help boost their ancillary revenue. We have a portal through which customers can book tours and activities. For example, let’s say I’m going to Rome and want tickets to the Coliseum. I can go onto my airline sites and I’ll see a link to this portal where to book tickets to the Coliseum. Tourists can add tours and activities to their flights as well. They’re able to plan their holiday and add some activities while they’re on their flights.

We spoke with Edward (Engagement Manager, Binary Studio) and he helped us figure out what our needs might be. They started us out with one developer, as we had some other developers from local sources. The developer first helped with backend development and was responsible for writing a lot of our server codes and database interaction. He then started some frontend work as well. He was a great generalist.

We interacted with the API of a supplier, gathered information from there, and stored it in our database in accordance with our own models and how we wanted things to look. We also racked a lot of their functionality so we could access it easily from our own base. They built new UI features as well.

We’re using Node.js, React.js, MongoDB, and Linux servers for our responsive web app. We’re looking at building a mobile product, but for now, it’s a website and web app.

It’s just one developer right now. We plan to expand soon.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

My brother knew about Binary Studio through an engagement with a company he’d worked for. Everything about them sounded great to me. They seemed to be asking the right questions.

We’ve spent 10,000 euros (about $11,000 USD).

We started working together in June 2019 and the work is ongoing.

It’s going really well. Their developer is the type of developer everyone wants. He hit the ground running and is incredibly effective. It was amazing that after only a couple of days, he was writing code. His software knowledge is excellent.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re really good communicators. We use Trello for general project management and Discord for communication, which works well for a small team. Everything is ad hoc.

Our initial contact was really friendly, attentive, and dedicated to meeting our needs. It’s been great working with them. He offered us the best-suited developer and it’s been an effective process.

They’re very talented people and we’re happy with them. The only criticism I may have is they work too hard. We think employee well-being is really important.

They’re my top choice and I plan on spending more money with them. I found it easy to integrate with them. Just do it.

Overall Score It’s been incredible from onboarding all the way through delivery. They’ve been professional and flexible when needed.
    We met every deadline so far. We really set a gauntlet for them and they’ve exceeded what we’ve asked for.
    They’re very affordable for what we’ve received. Engineers of that quality locally would cost a considerable amount more.
    The work exceeded everything that I wanted in terms of code quality and timeliness.

Software Development for Construction ERP

“We've been fortunate enough to find a programmer who fits our needs remarkably well.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Binary Studio developed an AWS-based ERP that helps construction firms manage pavement projects. The solution also features integrated CRM capabilities. This review was updated by the client on May 1, 2019.

Virginia
Operator, Construction ERP Developer

Binary Studio helped meet the 2019 go-live date and now provide ongoing development services. While the team could be more flexible with their work hours, they have a strong grasp on project goals. Communicative and strategic, they’re able to anticipate how technical changes impact business needs.

I’m the operator of a construction software company. We’ve developed a paving, concrete, and asphalt project management software.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

Our in-house team developed a basic pavement software solution (PSS) but needed external resources to transform it into a cloud-based ERP. We hoped to market the final ERP solution to construction and pavement firms to help manage their projects.

Binary Studio worked closely with us to develop a cloud-based PSS with integrated CRM capabilities. While we handled the frontend of the website, they built the SaaS solution from scratch using our initial software as a base reference. The tech stack included Java and AWS.

In the beginning, we worked with two developers but have since scaled back to one. We’re also in touch with their owner who mostly serves as our billing contact.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio

One of the partners in our company had used them for another software project and referred us to them. He was satisfied with his experience, so we decided to try them out.

During the height of development, we spent about $150,000 per year with them. Now, we pay them about $75,000 per year.

Their work started in June 2017 and is ongoing.

Binary Studio’s support has allowed us to meet our January 2019 go-live date. We’re pleased that we’ve gotten so much done. We were able to onboard beta users all throughout 2018, finalized development, and are now doing well.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate with our main point of contact every day, and we use Trello to coordinate.

The lead programmer has been invaluable to our project. Not only does he have a solid understanding of development, but he’s also able to look at the project as a whole. I appreciate that he can evaluate how a technical change might trickle downstream and affect our overall business. When we’re working together, I can trust him to make certain decisions by himself.

One of my main concerns is that I mostly work with their lead developer, so I don’t feel like I get any value from their administrative or billing contacts.

Binary Studio’s programmers work only during their office hours in their time zone. So, if we encounter a technical problem after their hours, they won’t address the issue until the next day. This might be an unrealistic expectation on my part, but I’m used to vendors who work until the day’s job is done.

Try to speak with the programmer you’ll be working with early on to see if they’re the right fit. As with any company, a resource might specialize in one area whereas another is more talented elsewhere. We’ve been fortunate enough to find a programmer who fits our needs remarkably well.

Updated Review

This review was updated on May 1, 2019, by the client. The original star ratings were: Overall – 4, Quality – 4, Schedule – 4, Cost – 4, NPS – 5.

How did the team perform from a project management standpoint?

They handle project management very well. Communication is fairly streamlined.

We love the development team. They have impressive English skills and always look one step ahead in our project, which is very helpful.

We have faced the same challenges that most software companies encounter—namely understanding our project scope completely. Binary Studio guides the engagement by skillfully leveraging modern communication platforms.

Clients should spend time scoping out the project and meet with Binary Studio’s management and developers to understand their capacity fully.

I'd recommend them.

Ongoing Web Dev & Support for Software Company

“Binary Studio offers some of the finest talent in the industry; they have become an extension of our team.”

2016 - Ongoing

Binary Studio provides ongoing development and support to improve a software’s speed and agility. Following mockups and design specs, the team rewrote the code and implemented new technologies.

Texas
President, Software Company

They deliver top-tier work promptly. The qualified team meets or outpaces timelines and fulfills requirements, spurring continued engagement. Customers can expect a communicative and engaging offshore vendor that accommodates differences in time zones, languages, and business perceptions.

I’m the president of a software company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

We needed to extend our IT capabilities to improve the speed and agility of our software.

My team initially provided Binary Studio with design guidelines, mockups, and different artifacts. They rewrote our legacy code and implemented new technologies. The team developed reusable objects and components and implemented our design specs. Our work together is not project-based; instead, Binary Studio provides continuous development services. They use Angular for frontend development and deploy our framework, Empower, for backend development.

My team works with six team members from Binary Studio.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

I met a member of Binary Studio’s team at a recruiting event. I was hesitant to partner with an offshore vendor, but they offered two months of service at no charge to showcase their abilities. They provided us with one of their best developers, who showed a high level of competency.

Our work together began at the end of 2016, and it is ongoing.

Binary Studio can execute a development task in 2–4 days that would take my team two weeks to complete. Furthermore, their fast-paced work is higher-quality than what my team is capable of producing. We’ve sustained the partnership based on the competent, motivated, and high-quality developers that Binary Studio places us with.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning, we worked with one developer. Binary Studio has since provided more developers based on our needs. My team does most of the project management while they focus on the development work. Their team always follows through on deliverables and either meets or outpaces time estimates.

We communicate primarily through Slack. Our teams also use Teamprocess, Trello, and teleconferencing.

Binary Studio offers some of the finest talent in the industry; they have become an extension of our team. They understand our requirements without excessive guidance or explanation from my team. Unlike other offshore vendors I’ve worked with, Binary Studio has had no issues with the different time zones, languages, or business acumen.

Binary Studio placed one of their founders on our team, but he lacked necessary business understanding. However, all of the other Binary Studio team members have been great.

Treat them like they’re part of your team. They’ll produce very well for you.

Overall Score Speaking different languages has never been an issue. They are always available.
    They deliver what they say they’re going to.
    They’re a more costly offshore vendor, but they create value for cost.
    They produce high-quality software quickly.

QA Augmentation for Social Platform

“They allocated one of the smartest people I’ve worked with since starting this business.”

2013- Ongoing

Binary Studio provides a single resource to augment an existing QA team. The assigned resource specializes in automated testing and develops Selenium tests for an application.

Toronto, Canada
CEO, Social Platform

Binary Studio appointed a dedicated QA specialist to help complete a defined project scope. The resource works professionally and is capable of delivering complex assignments. Acting as part of an in-house team, daily communication is done through text, email, and Google Hangouts.

I’m the CEO of a social platform. We provide large companies with employee recognition and feedback tools.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

We needed to develop our QA program further. Therefore, we were looking to hire a QA resource that had experience with automated testing.

Binary Studio provided a QA resource to augment our existing team. We had a defined strategy in place but needed extra resources to execute the work. That person was responsible for developing the Selenium tests for our application. We wanted to get as much coverage as possible via automated testing. While we’ve gotten a lot accomplished together, we still have some work to do. It’s a big application, and we started it from scratch.

They assigned one QA resource dedicated to automated testing.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

I can’t remember exactly how we found them. I know we were looking for an experienced firm for some time. They were probably referred to us by a colleague.

We spend $60,000 a year for their services.

We started working together in 2013, and the engagement is ongoing.

We interact with our assigned resource directly, so she has become a part of our team. Her contributions to the app are fantastic. She’s also detail-oriented and conscientious.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Their QA resource assists our five-person QA department. Therefore, she has access to our intranet, attends stand-ups, and communicates with us daily. Since she works remotely, we interact via text, email, and Google Hangouts.

They allocated one of the smartest people I’ve worked with since starting this business. She’s professional, productive, and talented.

No. I can’t think of anything that needs to be addressed at this time.

Research who they are and establish a fair price from the start. Luckily, they’re flexible enough to work within certain limitations.

React Native Augmentation for Ship Inspecting App

“I appreciate their transparency, timeliness, and quality of work.”

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

Binary Studio used provided design and technical specs to create a set of native iOS/Android apps. These apps help users inspect ships, upload photos, and manage work orders.

Oslo, Norway
CEO & Founder, Ship Inspecting App

Internal stakeholders have praised Binary Studio for their well-executed code and problem-solving skills. The team is communicative, asking relevant questions without delaying production. Their strong performance has helped secure continued engagement.

I’m the co-founder and CEO for a software company. We’ve created a project management software to inspect, repair, and maintain large ships.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

We’d written up some of the initial design elements for our mobile inspection app but lacked the bandwidth to execute the project. Binary Studio augmented our development efforts, providing a technical resource to help build our app.

Using our documentation, Binary Studio created an app that allows users to inspect ships while on board and manage work orders. Key features include image uploading, comments, status updates, and progress reports. If there’s no internet connection, the app will store the information and automatically sync when online.

Binary Studio developed the app using React Native. We’ve released the Android version recently, but the iOS build is still pending in the App Store. Now, they continue to support us on our mobile efforts, working on future iterations.

Besides the main engineer, we’ve worked with a business developer and other staff members, but I’ve never contacted them directly.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

I found them through Google and reviewed their past work. During our initial discussions, they gave me a good impression, and I liked that they had an open approach. The team prepared realistic estimates and had strong inputs, so I felt confident that they knew what they were talking about.

Their work started in December 2018 and is ongoing. It only took about six weeks to go live.

We’ve only recently released the Android version, and the iOS build is still pending, so we don’t have any hard metrics yet. However, the quality of the code is great, and the functions are simple and easy to use.

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We coordinate with their engineer on Slack and GitLab. In general, he works remotely but will come on site to work with us for a week.

I appreciate their transparency, timeliness, and quality of work. I’ve never had to follow up with their engineer or push him for status updates. He’s always on top of things and delivers as expected. If he has any uncertainties, he always asks questions and tries to solve the problem.

No, not that I can think of.

It’s important to communicate whenever there are any doubts. That way, progress doesn’t stop if something comes up.

Backend & Frontend Dev for Event Ticketing Platform

"They took initiative, which was amazing, and worked autonomously. They’re really quite intelligent."

Mar. 2018 - Ongoing

Binary Studio is rebuilding a large portion of an event ticket platform with ASP.NET and an Angular MVC structure. They modified and implemented wireframes and are planning to introduce a payment integration.

Cape Town, South Africa
Technical Director, Ticketing Company

The system is now quicker and easier to navigate and is expected to improve conversion rates. Binary Studio has expertly handled a widening scope and a language barrier, with neither causing any delays. They contribute original ideas with the goal of product improvement and are highly accessible.

I’m the technical director of an online event ticketing company. Our main offering is an online event ticketing platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

There’s a shortage of developers in our country. All of the good ones are taken up by the large companies, so we’ve been struggling for ages to find decent developers to hire.

We offer a ticketing platform where anyone running an event can go online and create it with a nice, quick process. Binary is rewriting a big portion of the site in Angular with a model-view-controller (MVC) setup. We have an in-house UX person who made mockups for them, which they implemented after showing some initiative and making suggestions of their own. On the backend, they used ASP.NET Web API, and we’re also planning on doing a payment integration.

We have a two-person team over there with one front-end and one back-end developer.​​​​​​​

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

We found them on Clutch and they stood out from the rest when we talked to them. We liked their academy program where, every year, they train developers and then hire the best of the best straight away. They have a constant stream of talent coming through, which we found quite appealing, especially if we wanted to grow the team. We also chatted with some nice people, in the beginning—Edward and Max—and got a good feeling from them. They seemed to hold themselves to a high standard, which is what we were after.

We’ve spent $50,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since March 2018.

We don’t have any numbers on improved conversions yet since we just launched what they’ve completed a week or two ago, but all the feedback has been positive. It’s clean, it’s easier to create events and it's faster. We haven’t gotten any negative feedback.​

​​​​​​How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

When we first picked up the project internally, we didn’t realize how big it would be, so we were a little underprepared on our side. Binary took it all in stride and are more than willing to keep adding tasks and increasing the scope of the project.

We have them on Slack, so if there are any urgent issues we pop them a message and they’ll start working. We have daily stand-ups with them and there’s a lot of collaboration, so they feel like an in-house team. Every other day we video chat with them to catch up on where they are and what they’re doing. We have a lot of collaboration with them, so we didn’t just hand them a spec and then get a delivery six months later.

They produced an excellent product after dealing with a limited initial scope and a language barrier. They took initiative, which was amazing, and worked autonomously.​

​​​​​​Are there any areas they could improve?

Nothing has stood out so far that I would want to change. They’re really open to suggestions on improvement, but I haven’t had to give any of those so far.

This is the advice that I was given but didn’t follow: make sure that your specifications are well laid out because that helps avoid back and forth and confusion that might arise - however this is always the case with development, whether in-house or not.

We kept adding more and more to the scope, but they were pretty much always on time.
    That's purely based on knowing a lot of other people we spoke to were considerably more affordable. However, it's a quality factor.
    I'm a developer myself, and the code I've seen them do is great.

React Native Dev for Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform

“Even despite competitive prices, the quality of both Binary Studio’s teammates and coding is exceptionally high.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Binary Studio Forex developed and implemented a fintech trading app. Coded in JavaScript in a React Native library, it’s compatible with any mobile device.  The updated charts demanded complex coding.

Berlin, Germany
John Krehbiel
Co-Founder & CEO, Hummingbird Trading

Binary Studios ethically, reliably, and skillfully produced a flawless end-to-end deliverable. It currently has 70,500 installs, 5,000 active and thousands of paid monthly users. With ratings of 4.5 stars on Google Play and 5 stars on the iOS App Store, users have termed this app “revolutionary.”

I am a co-founder and the CEO of Hummingbird Trading, a Forex trading application and mobile exchange for cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Binary Studio?

Using React Native was definitely one of the best choices we've made for this particular business. It’s a library that Facebook initially set up for internal use, specifically for their advertising app. Since this library is so new, Binary Studio is one of the only engineers we found who knows how to develop with it.

My team in Berlin specified, designed, and defined the requirements prior. Afterward, we send the complete functional specs over to Binary Studio for development.  As a mobile-first trading application and company, we use React Native as our primary frontend technology to display our product on mobile phones. This unique technology allows us from one single code base to publish our app on Android, iOS, and even Windows phones.

They worked very hard on an updated financial trading chart for the first 2-3 months of 2018. We built the first iteration of Hummingbird in the native code for respective platforms because there weren't enough existing libraries and React Native. This complex new chart fluidly updates fluidly in real time and requires particular indicators. It's quite an impressive feature.

When it comes to code reviews, they address bug fixes as soon as we notice an issue. I'm pleased with our current full-time maintenance resource who also develops new add-ons. He follows our complete QA guide before he even sends me a build of the application for final sign-off.

Since I oversee all the work myself, we didn't need a project manager. Binary Studio first assigned us two developers, which we later scaled down to one after completing the heavy development.  They've also mentioned having an in-house designer, but I've never met or worked with that resource.

How did you come to work with Binary Studio?

My good friend had initially developed the first part of the frontend application. When I needed additional support, I searched for San Francisco based vendors who were experts at React Native. Since they're actually offshores, I found Binary Studio purely by accident via a link at the bottom of a website.

The main reason I hired them was their substantial JavaScript specialties, especially compared to other vendors. I'd already worked with lots of amazingly skilled, hardworking, and ethical Ukrainian outsourced coders, as well. Choosing to work with Binary Studio was a no-brainer, and offered me major benefits.

I've probably spent around $40,000–$50,000 on their work.

We signed a contract with Binary Studio in June or July of last year, 2017. They're still providing ongoing development work for us.  Our product has been live since January 2017.

We currently have a worldwide reach of over 70,500 installs to date. As of five minutes ago when I happened to check, we've been averaging around 5,000 monthly active users. Regarding paying customers, we're in the low thousands.

Binary Studio offers a much better value than expensive US developers or ones in Germany where I'm based. Furthermore, they provide better deliverables than cheaper firms in the Eastern hemisphere. Despite competitive prices, the quality of both Binary Studio’s teammates and coding is exceptionally high.

Our app has a 4.5-star rating on Google Play and a 5-star rating on the iOS App Store. Most of our user feedback is pretty good. Most negative feedback on either platform are complaints about financial trading loss, rather than the app's usability and technical side. Occasional bugs that slip through the QA process that get a negative response. Overall, though, the UX receives positive comments that indicate people seem to like the app. One comment that stood out was that it's "revolutionary."

How did Binary Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

My company is spread out across offices in New York and Europe plus contractors in Ukraine, India, and the Philippines. Since we're already a delocalized and decentralized team, we use Slack as our primary communications channel. The entire team is used to working far apart from each other, so adding Binary Studio to our correspondence was easy. My CTO is based in eastern Ukraine on the opposite end of the country from Binary Studio. Having similar linguistic and cultural connections makes the work much easier.

One advantage we found was that Binary Studio' time zone proximity to our backend development makes it easier for those teams to communicate during the working day. We've been using Trello to design and track progress on sprints and provide all the bug tracking tools like Bug Snag we have available. They take this process quite seriously and usually spend a few days up to a week checking for errors.

I like their salesman, who's such a nice guy. He flew me out along with some of my other developers internationally to meet the Binary Studio team. I had a great time getting to know them in person; they're very welcoming and a lot of fun. They go out of their way to make clients feel the developers at Binary Studio are part of your team.

I don't like their invoicing schedule, which is different than what my accountants are used to. They bill us before the next month's work, which frustrates my accountants because it adds more work for them. I've asked them to change it, but I assume they've been burned by unreliable customers in the past. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the process.

It's important to know how to manage these types of projects remotely. When outsourcing development, you need to be entirely in charge of all the preparatory work. Tasking a contractor with those responsibilities will likely end in disappointment.

Completing the processes from design through the specifications beforehand will yield a much better UX. It wouldn't be Binary Studio’s fault if the designs aren’t satisfactory since that's not their area of expertise.

My current resource is slower than my back-office developers, but that's likely due to budget and experience limits, not Binary as a whole.
    The quality of service is fantastic, I don't like their billing process.
    I've already recommended them several times.