Cutting edge mobile and web solutions

AppUnite is a software development company that specializes in creating highly-usable mobile applications for Android, iOS and web apps in Phoenix Framework, Vue.js and AngularJS.

Our partners range from early stage startups to internationally recognized brands. We use the latest and the greatest technology in combination with an optimized agile approach to create applications that are being used by millions. We help our partners perfect and realize their visions of digital products!

Poznan, Poland

Zumba, AOL, fromAtoB, PETA, TechCrunch, Leo Burnett, Layer

Helium Health

Y Combinator 2017 top 50 - Nigeria’s electronic/data-driven healthcare system for healthcare facilities to go digital using simple and instant platform!

more at Helium

TechCrunch Disrupt

Native Android and iOS apps for TechCrunch Disrupt event attendees to connect with and message other attendees, view the agenda, get alerts, and more!

Read more at appunite.com

fromAtoB

FromAtoB lets you compare and book trips with free travel app, and choose from a vast number of train, bus, flight and carpooling providers. You can find surprisingly affordable offers, including special deals.

KingsChat

KingsChat is a fast, simple and personal smartphone messenger that allows you to send messages to everyone you love to talk to. Our role was to build the app from scratch. We were responsible for every stage of production from a design of layout through API, mobile clients, webapp, and devops, until publishing the app. Throughout the production process, we were working in a highly dynamic environment with many changes coming each week, but the outcome of almost 300 thousand users after just 1 year after the first release speaks for itself.

Check more of our work at appunite.com

Kidla

Kidla is the first polish app & service created for private sharing of valuable moments from your child’s life. The app allows relatives to participate in your child growing up each day, wherever they are.

Native Mobile App Dev for Cryptocurrency Trading Platform

“Their quality is excellent, and the project manager is always available to us.”

AppUnite is building native iOS and Android apps. They collaborated with the internal team to determine the project scope and have incorporated features such as security components and chart data.

Slovenia
CEO, Blocktrade

AppUnite works hard and makes good products. They communicate on a weekly basis, which creates a productive and effective working relationship. The project manager takes care of small details, simplifying the process. The internal team tested the apps, and they function well. They’ll go live soon.

I'm the CEO of Blocktrade, a crypto asset exchange company.

What challenge were you trying to address with AppUnite?

We needed help developing our mobile apps.

AppUnite is building native iOS and Android apps so that users can have better performance and UX. Together, we defined the scope of the project over numerous iterations; it took us a while to decide on exactly what we wanted. They helped us choose the best features and components of the app. Once the scope was complete, they began development, and we did internal testing, allowing us to provide weekly feedback on the products. They added security features to the apps and included sleek and modern charts.

We’ve had up to three developers, but we currently only have one. Our main point of contact is the project manager.

How did you come to work with AppUnite?

Our partner introduced us to three development firms. We interviewed them all and found AppUnite to be the best fit; they had past experience that lined up with the work we wanted to do.

We’ve spent between €40,000­– €50,000 (approximately $46,000–$57,500 USD).

We’ve been working together since January 2018. The app is currently running, but it isn’t live yet.

Our internal team tested all of AppUnite’s code, and everything looked good. The apps work well and don’t have any bugs.

How did AppUnite perform from a project management standpoint?

They have clear communication, and we hold weekly meetings to track updates. They have a project management tool, but we don’t use it often.

Their quality is excellent, and the project manager is always available to us.

Have a project manager because then they can decide on the smaller issues that you may not have time for.

Overall Score Their team is personable and communicative.
    They always meet deadlines.
    We had lower offers, but price is always linked to quality.
    Everything is working well, but we haven’t launched yet to get user feedback.
    The experience has been really good.

Native Mobile App Dev for Global Fitness Company

“They’re one of the best partners we’ve ever worked with.”

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

AppUnite transformed existing APIs into a fitness platform by developing native apps for both iOS and Android. The final product enables users to create workout playlists without being connected to Wi-Fi.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Miami, Florida
Natalie Barnes
Director of Products, Zumba Fitness

AppUnite delivered a polished product that’s well-known in the fitness industry. Their team of talented developers advised the app’s design and worked to produce a finished product that mirrors the original vision. Utilizing a meticulous approach ensures they address every detail and concern.

I’m the director of product management for Zumba Fitness. We’re a fitness provider with a network of instructors. We provide our instructors with benefits and access to an e-commerce store. The instructors work independently and teach classes to the Zumba community all over the world. My team is responsible for building software products and applications.

What challenge were you trying to address with AppUnite?

We provide instructors with new music and choreography each month through our website. While this service functions well, we wanted to develop a mobile app that could assist our instructors more conveniently. However, the project required more than building a mobile version of the existing software. A lot of instructors teach classes in remote areas where they don’t always have access to Wi-Fi. We hired AppUnite to develop a mobile solution that enables instructors to create and initiate class playlists without Wi-Fi.

We don’t have any app developers in-house, so my team came up with the app’s concept and worked with our web developers to design the initial wireframes. AppUnite provided a lot of useful feedback and helped us put together an app that works for both iOS and Android. We originally envisioned a hybrid app, but ultimately switched to using native functionalities per their advisement. Our in-house team handled most of the API development, and AppUnite built the app and implemented its code. They continue to support and maintain the platform on a monthly basis.

They allocated a project manager, a QA tester, and 4–6 developers.

How did you come to work with AppUnite?

We researched multiple vendors and noticed that AppUnite came highly recommended. I liked that they were affordable and had experience developing similar apps. We quickly developed a good rapport with them and that sealed the deal.

We’ve likely spent $200,000–$1 million.

We started working together in November 2016 and the engagement is ongoing.

AppUnite created our first widely used app. It’s a high-profile product for Zumba and customers are satisfied with the end result. They executed the project within our vision and pleased company stakeholders in the process.

How did AppUnite perform from a project management standpoint?

We hold weekly check-in meetings to address outstanding issues. We also communicate via Slack quite often. They adapted to using Jira as a project management tool because that’s our preferred software.

Their attention to detail is remarkable. The project manager communicates effectively and keeps everything organized. They’re one of the best partners we’ve ever worked with.

AppUnite approaches each project with a detail-oriented mindset and provides a lot of valuable insight. They ask a lot of questions at the start of a project, but the purpose of that is to help them deliver the best product possible.

Overall Score We worked through any challenges and the experience has been great.
    They’re very precise.

Mobile App Dev for Online Dating Platform

"I could see they were putting their heart and soul into the project, from their design ideas to the actual work done."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

AppUnite helped design and develop an iOS mobile app. They led efforts related to beta testing and launching in the App Store, and will soon continue to work on the Android version.

Owner, Dating Application

AppUnite reliably delivers high-quality work; the app has had no issues or crashes. Their work ethic makes them stand out, and while a single point of contact would’ve been helpful, they were accommodating and quick to address concerns. They executed brilliantly from design to testing.

I am the owner, director, and founder of a dating app which connects people looking for genuine long-term relationships.

What challenge were you trying to address with AppUnite?

The challenge was putting my idea into reality and producing a professional-looking end product. I needed the creative input from an outsider looking in, on how design elements and functionalities could be optimised.

AppUnite developed my app for iOS completely from scratch. It may be reproduced on Android in the future, and I do plan to continue working with them going forward on any tweaks, amendments, and further versions.

I had some firm ideas about the design, color scheme, and logo, around which they worked with me from the very start. As with most things, when the actual project started, other factors came into play and what I thought needed to be done changed along the way. AppUnite worked on the project from the initial idea right through to the end product, beta testing and releasing it to the App Store.

The app is self-explanatory in that it’s a dating app. Users swipe through a database looking for their match. The app has some nice touches, such as the logo appears as a watermark on the screen to signify a new match and this is also replicated in the “Matches” section.  There is also a time component as users have 48 hours to communicate with their match, and there is an hourglass timer, complete with sand, which dwindles down to zero.

We had a few initial conference calls in order to establish what my app focused on and the target market. I produced templates on how I wanted the screens to look and behave, detailing the key elements I wanted covered. I also gave AppUnite some free reign to input their ideas. At the end of the day, this is their area of expertise, and it’s why I employed them.

I would say there were between five and ten people from their side working on my app at any given point, all with different areas of expertise, from design framework to project management to actual front of house and backend developers. Overall, I would say I was in touch with almost everyone from AppUnite’s office.

How did you come to work with AppUnite?

They were recommended to me by a work colleague (I am also a lawyer). We were put in touch and got conversations underway in terms of what I wanted to achieve. I tried to determine whether they were a good fit, whether they understood the concept, and whether they agreed that there was a void in the market where my app could fit nicely and subsequently be successful.

I am based in London and had approached others, weighing up the costs and seeing how they would deal with the app itself.  I had to decide whether it would work best with a single company building it from start to finish, or whether some parts would be outsourced. My preference was to deal with a single company, not multiple.

We signed the contract in February 2017 and released to the store in early October. As mentioned, I plan to continue working with them.  We are on the brink of another release, which is currently in review with the App Store.

They have been brilliant from start to finish in terms of getting the work done. The app has been released to the store already, which happened fairly quickly considering that many apps take a year to a year and a half to complete. They worked fast, but still delivered a very professional end result.

I’m happy with the current user base, and there have been no crashes since release, which is brilliant for a product in its early stages. Of course we do expect some minor problems to present themselves, but AppUnite has always worked hard to address any issues like that when they do arise.

How did AppUnite perform from a project management standpoint?

Last weekend, I needed assistance as an advert going out in the Metro newspaper here in London. It was a substantial financial investment for us, and they worked throughout the weekend using two to three people from the team, even though this wasn’t their standard practice. I found this to be admirable. I can’t fault AppUnite for the work they’ve done, and hope that their strong work ethic continues going forward.

I had a single project manager as my go-to. They are based in Poland, while I am based in London, so there is potential for language barriers. I have not found any problems aside from having to explain myself more because of certain words or phrases which are difficult to translate.

Other than this, they’ve always executed what I needed. There have been very few issues or missed deadlines, and if something has been missed, they have addressed it straightaway when I have mentioned it. I find this to be rare for companies, especially bigger ones who will often push some clients to the side. AppUnite seems to have a wide spectrum covered.

Apple certainly seems to be temperamental in terms of if and when things are accepted, and how long it will take. They have their own timelines, which has led to some delays. This is, of course, out of AppUnite’s control.

Their strong work ethic was made apparent within the first weeks of working together. I could see they were putting their heart and soul into the project, from their design ideas to the actual work produced. Bigger companies often just see the paycheck, and are not that focused on the end product overall.

They have put “Handcrafted by AppUnite” on the bottom of my landing page, which shows their pride in the end product, appreciation for what the app does, and acknowledgment of what I’m trying to do in the market. There is a wide range of dating apps, some very questionable and some of poor quality. It’s great to see that AppUnite wanted their name attached to the app, and I was more than happy to allow this since I do think they did a great job. Without them, I wouldn’t actually have an app so it’s only fair that they get the recognition.

Throughout the whole transaction, from design to build and release, everything has been brilliant, and I can’t fault them. The only feedback I gave was for them to introduce someone who I could have as a go-to point for any tweaks and amendments within the first two or three months, just while the app is getting off the ground and I’m building a user base. People will come to me with issues and concerns which all need addressing promptly. I have suggested this because it wasn’t clear whom I should go to, as the team initially working on my app has obviously moved on to other projects.

AppUnite has put this into play already, and they were pleased to hear constructive criticism about their company. They are small in comparison to other developers, but there is always room for improvement like with anything.

Overall Score I was fortunate enough to have AppUnite recommended to me. I’ve liked and gotten along well with all of them.
    We’ve hit every single deadline aside from a handful of occasions related to App Store.
    Compared to the quotes I received in London, their cost was fair and reasonable.
    Their service is very good. I didn’t have a contact after the project ended, but they’ve addressed this.
    I have recommended them to a friend running his own business.

Java Development for German Startup

“I was generally surprised with the level of their engineers and project managers.”

Jun. 2016 - Ongoing

AppUnite was hired as an outsourced resource to work on two Android development projects using ReactiveX Java framework.

Startup

Berlin Area, Germany
CEO, German Startup

There were no real areas where AppUnite could improve, they worked as a strong partner and delivered high-quality work at a good value.

We are a German company working with startups as CTOs —heads of products and heads of service. Many new companies in our area lack this expertise, focusing more on business and marketing. We help them with product development from the kick-off, including conceptualizing, designing, and managing the production process until the first release. After that, we help them recruit internal teams to replace us.

What challenge were you trying to address with AppUnite?

We use companies like AppUnite as external partners for actually developing software for our clients

We have worked on 2 Android development projects with AppUnite, one of which is ongoing. One of our projects used the ReactiveX Java framework.

AppUnite has assigned 2 engineers for our first project. They can provide an internal project manager as needed, but we've mainly communicated with engineers directly. AppUnite has also assigned UI designers to our project.

How did you come to work with AppUnite?

I had some video calls with candidates in order to evaluate their language and communication level. I have experience in the interview process so I am able to filter out candidates from the initial discussion, minimizing the risk to a high degree.

How much have you invested with AppUnite?

The cost of our first project with AppUnite was between 6,000 and 8,000 euros. We had a fixed price. It was a simple Android app using a single API. AppUnite is also involved in the product development cycle for our second project. The development is ongoing and we're working on a time-and-materials basis, so it's hard to estimate the final cost.

We started working with AppUnite in June 2016 and our first project was finalized 2 months ago.

Our finalized app hasn't been published yet. The app we're currently developing with AppUnite has been launched to app stores. Both of them have been a success. AppUnite has a good team and I would continue to work with them in the future.

How did AppUnite perform from a project management standpoint?

We have handled project management for the more complex work and only involved AppUnite's project managers when needed. AppUnite can provide technically skilled project managers for our work and they have good continuous integration processes in place. AppUnite has been able to provide accurate estimates for our work. Their team also has good English skills. The frequency of information exchange and of the deliverables has been very good. We initially used Pivotal Tracker as a management tool, but have moved to our client's solution, GitHub.

What did you find most impressive about AppUnite?

For the price, the quality provided by AppUnite has been very good. I was generally surprised with the level of their engineers and project managers. I've since worked with 2 other Polish agencies and AppUnite has stuck out compared to them.

Are there any areas AppUnite could improve?

I wouldn't say so.

Overall Score I plan on continuing to work with AppUnite.

Development for Mobile Messaging Software Company

"They really tried to understand what we were doing and what we were looking for."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

AppUnite was hired to help develop and test an existing mobile messaging platform.

Montreal, Canada Area
VP Business Operations, Mobile Messaging Software Company

Overall, the client was happy with the work that AppUnite did. They proved to be cost-effective, intuitive and were able to successfully work with other parties the company was also outsourcing to.

My company is a mobile messaging and marketing platform software company. We developed a platform for brands and enterprises to engage with their audiences, and social users to engage with their friends and family.

My role is business operations and business development. I also focus on support in some of our recruiting, human resources, and staffing needs.

What challenge were you trying to address with AppUnite?

Originally, we had two levels. On a more tactical front, we had a specific problem with one of the features within our messaging platform and they were a company that had done historical work in that category. On a broader scale, we were looking to get resources on board quickly that would have a certain degree of support. We had a mix of staff that were independent contractors, mostly home-based developers, which goes either way - you get some very good, and you get some not so consistent people when you do that. AppUnite fit the need of really getting a developer on board within an environment that we knew was structured and also with having a background from a company that has shown some results in the area we are looking to get some help in.

We’ve taken a different approach with AppUnite, and that’s one reason why we like them. They were very flexible. So we have taken on board one Android developer specifically, and the purpose is that the role he plays is really as a developer, almost as if he’s part of our team. In the background, there’s a bit of support from AppUnite, and AppUnite has offered to do more but we have not engaged in a full turnkey solution with AppUnite at this point.

How much have you invested with AppUnite?

I think a good way to describe it is relative to what we were paying North American staff; it’s about less than half. It’s probably $10,000 to $50,000.

We started in August of this year.

I would say things turned out better than we expected originally because we were sort of looking for a mid-level developer but the developer from AppUnite is taking on a bit of a senior role. In terms of output, we have some complicated geo-location features within our app and he’s helped as part of the team, not on his own, to find solutions.

How did AppUnite perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re probably making it a bit difficult for them because we have one resource and we haven’t engaged a broader team there, but they’re still quite proactive. They do weekly or bi-weekly calls to check out and make sure everything is going well. The management people sort of want to be involved if there’s a problem, so they can help address it. We had some communication hiccups in the beginning which they jumped on right away and improved.

What did you find most impressive about AppUnite?

I think being more on the commercial side is what really drove this. They really tried to understand what we were doing and what we were looking for. When we started to expand our resource needs and gave them a chance, we needed them to meet a certain requirement in order to take a look at it, and they did. I thought they reacted quite well. I’m sure other agencies would do the same things, but maybe not as well. I thought their approach was very professional and now it continues to be. There is potential that we’re going to expand our agreement with them, but we have nothing firm at this point. We’re actually quite pleased that they’re effectively working with a competing agency but working with them very well.

Are there any areas AppUnite could improve?

I think the one thing I would probably look at is we had to sort of structure what we ultimately agreed on with them. We sort of pushed them into the direction of the agreement we have now. It would’ve helped if they had come to us with those options earlier. Truthfully, we may have engaged with them earlier had they done that. But in the end, we had to sort of form the model and say, “This is what we’re looking for. If you can meet this, this, and this, we can move forward or we can consider moving forward.” So it was after we gave them instructions that they turned it around.

Overall Score For the quality of their work, they’re pretty cost competitive.
    Only because they don’t independently own the timeline. They have to work in tandem with the other groups, which are outside of their control. So I think, overall, this sort of ad hoc team we have is at that level regarding performance.
    The reason is because they are the most cost effective out of the three parties we have and they are actually performing probably slightly better than the other partners.
    The reason is we do have other agencies to compare them with, and I think they’re falling short across the board. In terms of getting the deliverables done in a “fast enough” way, we consider 4 pretty good. But there’s definitely room to improve.
    With a similar project, definitely. For something in the messaging space, I think we would. It would be highly dependent on the project.