Web Apps & Automations

We build custom web apps, eCommerce, SaaS, ERP solutions and business automations.

• 20 ppl in the team
  • 45 custom web apps and 150+ automations
  • 100+ excellent feedbacks
  • 15 000+ billed hours
  • 80% repeat clients

We work with clients from all over the world and have references from USA, UK, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland and Australia.

Contact us to get a free quote!

Novosibirsk, Russia

API Development for Product Distributor

"I’ve worked with three other vendors on similar projects, and Zimalab has shown the greatest initiative..."

June 2018 - Feb. 2019

Zimalab developed a RESTful API, replacing a legacy solution based on established business logic. They constructed a product model, clarified use cases, and delivered a foundation for new feature development.

Lewiston, Maine.
Evan Smith
Web Architect, Geiger

Internal developers are excited about the adaptability the API will provide and the software updates it will enable. Transparent and smooth, Zimalab provided access to a management web app and introduced new resources when necessary. Customers can expect a proactive and open-minded partner.

I’m a web architect for Geiger, a family-owned, promotional products distributor. We provide expert advice, support, and services to our clients, solving their marketing, promotional, and motivation challenges.

For what projects/services did your company hire Zimalab?

Our existing API didn’t follow common REST principles and contained fragmented data based on business-logic conventions, which confused both internal and external developers. As a result, it took several hours to update our entire product catalog. We brought Zimalab on to develop a well-structured RESTful API.

We needed a new API to improve the agility and time-to-market of various e-commerce and sales initiatives and update our product inventory faster. It had to be as fast as the previous one and be easy for developers to understand and use.

We posted a job on Upwork and Zimalab responded. They were interested in the work and had the necessary technical experience, work history, and ratings. After meeting with them on Skype, I felt like I could trust them as a development partner. I also chose to pay hourly to reduce the cost of terminating the agreement early if they ended up not being a good fit.

We provided them with everything they needed including the existing application, API specification, ERD diagrams, and a data mapping document. This gave them a good understanding of our requirements, constraints, and overall objective. Before starting development, they went through a Q&A session with our product team to fill in any blanks.

We needed to de-normalize the structure of our PIM system's proprietary data export, parse the business rules, create a valid and structured product model, and deliver a range of features for developers to utilize. Zimalab helped us understand the use cases, prioritize features, and deliver a working application that met specifications.

The project kicked off with myself and their CEO discussing requirements. I was assigned a project manager who worked with a dedicated developer, and their CTO was brought on briefly to communicate architectural strategy and database modeling.

We have only recently started to integrate the new API, but developer feedback has been very positive. The new application has positioned us to not only survive a PIM system replacement but also to develop this product further as a replacement for our current PIM. Finally, Zimalab sped up our catalog update by more than five times our target goal.

Once a project manager was assigned, we worked through a project management web application to post messages. At first, I had to repeat myself or remind the project manager about what was discussed, but things improved over a couple of weeks. We eventually moved over to a Skype group and communication became a lot easier. Throughout, Zimalab has been great about communicating the status of the project.

I was also able to work and communicate directly with the developer halfway through the project. The transition of people entering and leaving the project was fluid; the right people were talking to each other at the right time without anyone wasting time or waiting on anything.

I’ve worked with three other vendors on similar projects, and Zimalab has shown the greatest initiative and understanding of our business conventions of any of them. They’re highly analytical and competent.

I can't think of anything Zimalab could do to improve. They’re adaptable, receptive, and extremely capable. If something isn't working well for us, they respond. If they think something isn't working well for us, they adapt anyway to make it better.

Overall Score So far, this has been the best experience I've had working with a development partner.
    It was very affordable, especially considering the quality of work.
    The code is readable and maintainable and the developer interface is intuitive and usable.
    Project managers and our executive team are already asking if we can work with Zimalab again on upcoming projects.

Data Management Solution Dev for Software Company

“They're always proactive, available, and helpful. Our communication is absolutely wonderful.”

June - Dec. 2016

Zimalab provided staff augmentation to support the build of a data management directory software built on Symfony in PHP. Ever since, they’ve taken on full development ownership for the product.

11- 50 Employees

Rockville, Maryland
CTO, Software Company

Following a successful and timely delivery, Zimalab has continually demonstrated a vested interest in the product’s success and improvement. Beyond the value of their focused expertise in leveraging complex technology, they proactively contribute useful advice and innovative ideas to pursue.

I'm the CTO of a technology company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zimalab?

We hired Zimalab to help us deal with a complex development project. Our company was creating new software and needed specialized technical expertise.

Zimalab assisted our in-house team with developing a sophisticated directory software. As a tool, it solves a common data management problem for marketing and PR professionals. Starting as an auxiliary basis, they provided expert resources who could work with the highly specific operation of the Symfony framework we use.

Even though they joined later on in the process, they jumped right in to pick up the project mid-development. From the time were introduced to the product launch, Zimalab never missed a beat. At this point, we've transitioned them to our exclusive team for this product. We've completely phased out the involvement of a different local vendor we used to engage. For more than three years now, Zimalab has had exclusive responsibility for this product development.

Our three-person team from Zimalab included an account representative and a couple of developers. Katherina (Account Manager, Zimalab) is a great point of contact. I've also interacted with the owner, Evgeny (CEO, Zimalab).

How did you come to work with Zimalab?

I looked for a team that included specialists for Symfony, the particular framework we'd used to develop the product. We needed a flexible team who could augment our existing capabilities. It can be hard to bring someone on when you don't know how well they'll work, but Zimalab has been a great partner since we hired them. We trust them enough to task them with taking over the product completely.

We've spent tens of thousands of dollars.

We began working together in June 2016. They Spent six months augmenting our in-house team. Starting in January 2017, they took over full time.

Zimalab has completed the major part of the product's release. Now that we're in the maintenance phase, they're continuing to tweak it for improvement. We've seen great results so far.

Remarkably, Zimalab goes beyond simply building our request for features. They are very keen on proposing unique solutions and offering informed suggestions. We often follow their advice, but even when we don't, it shows that they're very engaged and interested. I consider Zimalab part of the part of the team and value their input.

How did Zimalab perform from a project management standpoint?

Zimalab's project management style is excellent. They're always proactive, available, and helpful. Our communication is absolutely wonderful. We haven't had a single issue or complaint.

I speak with our account manager at least three times a week. Our frequency of communication depends on where we are in the software development process and the type of work we're doing.

Responsiveness and their expertise made the strongest impression on me. I've greatly valued Zimalab’s engagement and the level of interest they've shown in our project's success. These are very important characteristics to have in an augmented team.

No, I’m perfectly happy with Zimalab. I don't see any problems.

I highly encourage potential future clients to work on a product with Zimalab. I trust them completely.

Overall Score Our overall experience with Zimalab was excellent. I consider them part of our team.
    They provided accurate estimates, stuck to them, and adhered to our deadlines. Scheduling has been great.
    They offer a very good value for the prices they charge.
    They're diligent, responsive, and committed to the project.
    I would give them my highest recommendation without hesitation.

Shop Management Software for Software Company

"They deliver software products properly and with the fewest bugs that I've ever seen."

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Zimalab is developing and iterating a shop management software, using PHP on the backend and a JavaScript template on the frontend.

San Diego, California
Afshin Shaybani
Owner, Avicen Corp.

While still in development, the working software has received positive feedback from key stakeholders. Zimalab’s ability to adapt to and communicate about ever-evolving specifications helps make their code relatively bug-free. Their understanding of project requirements make them a valuable partner.

I'm the owner of a software business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zimalab?

I needed an external resource to write a shop management software for one of my customers.

I defined the project for them and then they started developing the software. Zimalab is using cloud-based PHP software on the backend. They connected it to an SQL database. We bought a JavaScript template that they use on the frontend. It also has a responsive design so it can be used on any mobile app platform as well.

There’s been different phases to the project and they’ve created multiple iterations. The process continues to be that we define the software and give them requirements, and they do the development. There’s no specific launch date. As it becomes available, we launch and test it. It’s an ongoing process.

I only interface with a project manager. I don't know how many people work on our project.

How did you come to work with Zimalab?

I found them on what’s now called Upwork. I looked at the profiles of hundreds of candidates but they are the only one I picked. I thought they’d be the best for the job.

We started working together in October 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

Zimalab has created a very successful management software. It helps our customer manage their shops. They don't have to physically go to the shop to find out how they're doing. They can click on a button and know exactly how they're doing and see an estimate of how they will be doing next month. If something has gone wrong they can easily nip it in the bud. It helps with managing and controlling the environment of the shop. It saves time by automating processes that would otherwise require phone calls and paperwork. It’s efficient because they have access to all their data on their phone.

How did Zimalab perform from a project management standpoint?

They perform well. I communicate with my project manager every day. I've worked with two project managers and they’ve both been on top of things. They knew what they had to do. I only need to tell them something once and they get it. They're very good at understanding the requirements and then going ahead with the implementation.

They deliver software products properly and with the fewest bugs that I've ever seen. No software is delivered 100% bug free, but Zimalab has the fewest issues once the code is dropped.

Not really. I've been quite happy.

My advice is to go for it because they're a good partner.

Overall Score I'm still working with them so that's testament enough.
    They always deliver on time.
    I couldn't find anybody with better rates.
    They produce software with the fewest bugs.
    I've already recommended them and I'm very likely to do so again.

Custom HTML CSS Website for Online Wishlist

"I always knew the project’s status, every phase went as planned, and we met our launch deadline."

Oct. 2017 - Feb. 2018

Using HTML and CSS, Zimalab developed a bookmarklet script that pulls product details from online retailers to create a conglomerate, web-based gift list.

Founder, Online Gift Shop

With strong communication and understanding of the requirements, Zimalab delivered a functional and user-friendly site. The project was managed well from start to finish with the Zimalab leads clearly defining the design and development stages through to go-live.

I’m the founder of a website that allows users to create a gift list by adding items from any online store.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zimalab?

We needed an agency that could complete the design of our site and develop it together with a functioning script to something that would function seamlessly and be aesthetically pleasing to users.

We began the project with meetings to clarify the requirements and plan the different iterative phases. A graphic designer had already created the design templates that we wanted to use, so Zimalab began with a design phase, and then had a development phase, and finally the launch.

In the design phase, they replicated the existing templates to create a website prototype in InVision so that we could work with it and make sure it met the requirements before going into the development stage. In that stage, they built the script that can grab prices, images, and product details from other retailer’s sites. There are still a few websites that the script doesn’t work with, but we have launched and are making improvements.

They also built a backend admin panel that allows us to see and manage user accounts, gift list creation and gift purchases.

There were two main points of contact throughout the project, and each was a project manager during different phases: one during the design stage and one during the development and launch stage. I never spoke directly with any of the developers.

How did you come to work with Zimalab?

I was searching for freelancers on Upwork and narrowed my search to vendors that had 90% and above job success score and had worked at least 10,000 hours on Upwork. I interviewed a few agencies and most seemed to not understand the requirements and asked questions that weren’t relevant to the scope. So I was excited when Zimalab appeared to understand the requirements quickly without much explanation. That made the decision of who to go with fairly easy for me.

We’ve spent about $9,000.

We began working together in October 2017, the site went live in February 2018, and I have been working with them on improving and maintaining the site since then.

Zimalab delivered a beautiful functioning website and importantly the script that is currently integral to the usability of the site also works. The script does not work on all sites, however this limitation was made clear to us by Zimalab. We have maintained a relationship with Zimalab to fix any bugs that have been found since go-live and of course build additional functionality.

How did Zimalab perform from a project management standpoint?

I communicated with the project managers a minimum of twice a week, and that was via email, Skype, or Wrike. I always knew the project’s status, every phase went as planned, and we met our launch deadline.

Their communication is what impressed me the most. The project manager we worked with during the development and launch stages was especially responsive.

Although we engaged in a lot of discussion with Zimalab at the start of the project, we feel there could have made more suggestions about how the site functionality from a management perspective could be better. For example, suggesting some sort of CMS system to manage text and/or images in key parts of the site.

Additionally, I think their testing phase could be more vigorous. There were bugs or issues that I found that I considered obvious and should have been spotted by the Project Manager during testing.

Clear articulation of requirements is crucial. We would also discuss with Zimalab if any additional features/requirements should be included in scope. It is worthwhile hearing what ideas they have as they are an extremely skilled and well experienced agency that can definitely improve on your original requirements.

They met the majority of our established deadlines.
    I’m pleased with our end product, but we could have saved time and money had they caught bugs or issues before sending the product to me for review.
    I’m happy with the final script—though there are still some issues to sort out—but I wish they were more proactive in suggesting additional features.
    They had the skill and ability to deliver what I wanted, but still need to improve on some of the peripheral aspects of the work.

Smyfony Web App Dev for Hotel Booking Company

“Zimalab delivered our products in just two weeks without any mistakes, which is quite a success story.”

Sept. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Zimalab designed and developed a booking platform that automates a 10% discount for every user. They programmed three interfaces to connect with channel managers that pull data from hotel reservation systems.

Breda, Netherlands
Rob Langermans
Co-Founder, POWERNAPP

Deftly using a variety of programming languages, Zimalab rapidly delivered a flawless end product that seamlessly integrates with compatible systems. A skilled lead organized the project methodically and leased with a robust team of resources. Communication was strong and occurred on a daily basis.

I'm a co-founder of POWERNAPP. Our online booking platform clusters one-night hotel stays for small to medium-sized enterprises (SME) to purchase at a lower price point. Buying a high volume of rooms annually positions us to negotiate discounts at locations across the Netherlands that individual companies couldn't access.

When a business joins our platform, they uniformly receive a 10% discount on the daily hotel rate. Using this system means we're always more affordable than our larger competitors. Our product also solves problems for the hotels we partner with nationwide. Regarding sales and acquisitions, it reduces the time they spend on contracting and account management for smaller clients and lets them focus on more profitable key accounts.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zimalab?

We were searching for a third party to help us design and develop our online booking platform. Offering discounted rates made it a particularly complex product to build. In particular, we needed a team who could work with different programming languages.

Initially, we proposed a scope we’d formed in-house and held discussions to prioritize and plan next steps. Zimalab helped us design each phase of development for the online booking portal. Our system is a web application built on Symfony. They pinpointed which features needed to be active in the first phase of development. Throughout the project, we added new functionalities to the platform.

Zimalab created three interfaces for channel manager systems to ensure we offer a consistent 10% discount compared to major competitors. A hotel's reservation system generates rates and tracks inventory, then sends this data through a channel manager to platforms like ours. This system offers equal access to room availability and pricing metrics. Our product also involves calculating a 10% discount, which requires a slightly different connection than for our competitors. Each one involves a different programming language, so they worked on them one by one.

Zimalab wrote the code in different technical languages for all the functionalities in our booking process. They designed a reporting tool within our system that shows an SME company their total annual spend on hotel rooms. As they created user stories, the team considered the most efficient way to book a hotel room from landing on our site and selecting a location to the next steps in the booking process.

Zimalab’s team includes three developers, two designers, a project manager, and the CEO.  We started this project with the managing director. Afterward, they assigned us one point of contact. Our project manager was the project lead. She liaised with the rest of the team on our behalf.

How did you come to work with Zimalab?

We found 15 freelance developers from around the world on Upwork.com and held the first round of interviews on Skype.  After shortlisting five teams, we had one of our friends who works as a developer join the second-round calls. He asked the right technical questions to determine how well each candidate could develop the type of portal we needed.

After passing our technical check, we chose Zimalab for their strong communication skills including English fluency. We preferred their team of developers to the risk of working with a single freelancer. If that one person gets ill or stops the project, we wouldn’t have a backup. They offer competitive prices compared to teams in the Netherlands and an excellent value.

At this point, we've invested $30,000.

We began working with Zimalab in September of 2016. The first version of our platform launched in April 2017.

Zimalab is a trustworthy party to work with. They built all three connections with channel managers that are critical to facilitate our business. If we couldn't connect with these systems, it would be impossible to connect with hotel reservation systems at all.

Based on my work experience, I know that building these complex interfaces is usually a lengthy and challenging process. Zimalab delivered in just two weeks without any mistakes, which is quite a success story. Developing these side projects in different programming languages is an impressive feat.

How did Zimalab perform from a project management standpoint?

The team’s communication around timelines was quite good. They completed four out of five tasks within the given time frame. Since each side project was clustered within the same timeframe, we made sure to ask how long the team needed to develop each feature well beforehand.

They were entirely on top of things during development. We’re their largest client at the moment, so they knew this was going to be a significant project. Our system is now finished, so there’s not much development to do besides adding small new functionalities. From a business perspective, they’ve been less organized in our current maintenance phase. We have to make sure they stay on schedule. There was a difference in their enthusiasm at the beginning of the project and now.

Aside from developing our product, they also considered our entire system as a whole. As Zimalab designed user stories, they carefully thought through every aspect of how clients will use our platform. We were enthusiastic about building a lot of fancy features. Zimalab encouraged us to minimize some elements to make sure users accept the system as-is. They preempted us from creating too much at once, yet still produced a fantastic UX.

It feels like they have more projects going on now and that they aren't as on top of project management. As their biggest client, I still feel important. They should keep up the original level of oversight and focus on each project, though.

Communication with Zimalab is strong and occurs on a daily basis. Ask for insight on the number of hours they need to complete individual tasks. Requesting a thorough overview, as well. Otherwise, you’ll get lost in the number of hours allocated to specific functionalities. I strongly recommend them because they're skilled at the work they deliver.