Building the Digital Future

Zibtek offers Full stack development, Web design, and Digital marketing. Our experts serve Fortune 500 to midsize businesses and startups. Our agile methodologies enable us to effectively handle software projects of any scale and complexity, quickly and cost effectively. Our 250 + experienced engineers, managers, and technology professionals collaborate between our 3 global locations and serve our clients throughout the entire software development lifecycle.

Services Include:

Draper, UT
  • Zibtek
    P.O.Box 1535
    Draper, UT 84020

Adobe, Gameplan, Princeton Review, Zinch, Chegg, Orabrush, RE-volv, Gandysoft, Finworx.

CRM Development for Major Education Company

“Their response times have been impressive, which has made for a smooth development process.”

n/a

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Zibtek is managing development in building a custom CRM tool from scratch. They provide suggestions and feedback on features to improve overall functionality.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Director of Operations, Education Company

The tool is for internal use and has already allowed for more strategic client management. The Zibtek team has been very attentive in addressing bugs and feature requests. Consistent communication via meetings and a ticketing system has been crucial to the project’s success.

I’m the director of operations at an educational company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We were looking to build out a client relationship management (CRM) tool to help us with data tracking.

Zibtek built the CRM tool from scratch. The tool is for internal use, and our management team uses it to keep track of their clients, track task progress, and check relevant timelines. I now work closely with their team when bugs arise or new features are needed. I don’t have a technical background, so they often provide suggestions when the bug is particularly complex or when the feature we’re looking to add could be improved.

We work with a project manager and two part-time developers.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

I started in my current position after the project was completed, so I wasn’t involved in the selection process or initial stages. Since then, I’ve helped manage their team in providing ongoing maintenance and adding new features as necessary.

They started working with our company in 2015, and the work is ongoing.

The CRM tool that Zibtek built allows us to be more strategic in the number of clients we take on.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

I typically have brief Skype meetings with a project manager and a developer twice a week, but we also communicate daily on their ticketing system. The developer usually provides us with updates on progress, so their project manager’s role is actually fairly limited as far a direct communication with us.

I’ve had to be especially detail-oriented when laying out a project plan to avoid misinterpretation. This is fairly standard for developers, but things that seem obvious need to be explicitly outlined for them to get done.

The meetings and ticketing system have been crucial to the success of the project. Initially, we were only doing the meetings, but the addition of the ticketing system has been extremely helpful for us in tracking projects and keeping the process efficient.

• N/A Cost
    Not involved in payment process

Web Dev for Tech Communications Company

"An almost 18-month long engagement speaks for itself."

Jul. 2016 - Oct. 2017

Zibtek developed the integration platform for a new, large-scale, email management product. They managed both front– and back–end construction, ran code review, and did QA. The engagement lasted 18-months.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Scott Pagodin
Director of Product Dev, Lirio

Zibtek fulfilled expectations. Their professional, organized management and accessible communication, especially during emergencies, led to a long partnership. The high value they place on relationship building is evidenced by their work ethic and dedication to project success.

I’m the Director of Product Development at Lirio Inc. We are a technology and communications company that specializes in industry-specific approaches to client communications. Our platform is primarily web-developed software that specializes in communications at scale.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We needed development services to help with stand-ups of several versions of an MVP.

Zibtek helped develop the integration platform for our new email management product. They provided both front– and back–end services, managed the technology stack, ran code reviews and did QA. They also offered us marketing and design services, which we seriously considered accepting, but ultimately declined.

We worked with a U.S.–based project manager and a development team in India. That group was made up of front– and back–end developers and a QA resource. We were fortunate to have the same team throughout the engagement.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

Zibtek was one of vendors we found through online reviews. After our evaluation process, we felt that they were the best bet for us. Their U.S.–based project manager, as well as the cultural fit between their team and ours, made them the right choice.

We’ve spent between $250,000–$400,000.

We started in July 2016 and ended in October 2017.

I don’t have any quantitative measures, but an almost 18–month long engagement speaks for itself. They were open and responsive, and as a part of that, they were willing to learn, and met our expectations fully.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

We used JIRA for task management and transitioned to GitHub for issue management. Additionally, we used a code repository and our own management suite. They were open to and familiar with using both tools.

We used the standard Scrub methodology, so development velocity was a primary measure of our progress. As we settled into the partnership, we saw increased efficiency, and therefore velocity, over time.

We had daily communication and they were always available during any emergencies or outages. There was a little time difference, but we did our daily stand-up’s during an overlap in the morning. When deadlines were approaching, the team was willing to put in extra time if necessary.

They were an extension of our team and our family. It didn’t feel like a typical engagement with an offshore partner. I felt that they had a vested interest in our success that extended beyond contractual terms. They showed true care and stewardship of our organization and our goals.

I’d be hard pressed to find any at this point.

We had constant communication with the entire team; from project management, all the way to the tech-lead in India.
    5. That was largely a deciding factor in us using Zibtek.
    They certainly had a large impact on our achievements.

Web Development for Branding Agency

"They’ve done a great job. It’s why we continue to work with them."

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Zibtek developed a website using web-based coding. The site, which had an integrated database element, was based on user interface and wireframe provided to them.

Washington, D.C.
Founder & Managing Director, Branding Agency

Zibtek has gone above and beyond to produce high-quality code within particularly stringent deadlines. They’re extremely collaborative and, despite being an offshore firm, remain very accessible and responsive to all needs.

I’m the founder and managing partner of a branding agency that handles a wide range of digital, print, and social media branding engagements.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We needed a team of experienced developers to assist us in building a website for one of our clients.

We started by giving Zibtek an idea of what we were trying to accomplish. We then discussed how many people were needed on the project to complete it within our deadline. After deciding on that, we provided them with all of the designs and user interface, as well as specifications on how we wanted the site to operate.

They then built out the site using web-based coding; it was a bit more intricate, given the website had an integrated database element. After they built a fully responsive site, they ran it through their QA system and we ran it through ours. They’ve also created a web repositories system that allows them to store scripts that can be accessed by developers later if needed.

For the last few months of the project, we’ve been iterating the development process based on feedback given to us by our client.

We work with a project manager, a technical lead, and about two or three developers from their team.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

They reached out to me a couple times via email and offered their services. We happened to be looking for an offshore company to work with, so we checked out their site and it seemed legitimate and professional. We then had a brief call with one of their account reps to discuss their experience in conjunction with our company’s needs.

The call went well, but before deciding to work with them, we talked to three companies that had worked with them on similar projects. They had nothing but great things to say, so we felt comfortable partnering with them.

When the project is completed, we’ll likely have invested over $50,000.

We began partnering with them in November 2017, and our work with them is ongoing.

Qualitatively, both our clients and I feel very positively about the work they’ve done. Though I am not a developer, I can say their code is clean and well-structured.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve done a great job. It’s why we continue to work with them. They understand that our deadlines are also our clients’ deadlines and aren’t particularly flexible. As such, they work extremely hard and will go above and beyond to meet them.

We typically have two calls per week with their project manager and lead developer to discuss our needs, time-sensitive tasks, and any upcoming project milestones. We use Slack for day-to-day interaction and Zoom for calls. Despite them being an offshore agency, they’re more flexible with their hours than other agencies we’ve worked with. There’s been more overlap with our timezone, which we greatly appreciate.

It’s been an extremely collaborative relationship. We’re kept apprised of everything happening within the project, and they’re very responsive to our needs, questions, and concerns regardless of the method we use to reach out to them.

No, I can’t think of any. So far, our partnership has been great.

I’ll give the advice that was given to me when I spoke with Zibtek’s references: Have a very clear idea of what you want to accomplish before development begins. Costs begin adding up immediately, so any slowdown in production due to you being unsure of what you want will create unnecessary expenses.

They’ve done a great job at meeting deadlines.
    Cheaper is always nice, but they give good value for the cost.
    They’ve delivered on everything we’ve expected.
    I would recommend them.

Platform Development for Live Stream Company

"They're very professional and understand my needs. I have a high level of confidence in them."

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Zibtek created wireframes and then built a platform for live streaming sports events. They developed a unique feature that allows subscribers to choose between fixed camera streaming and feed from other users.

Dallas, Texas
Derek Cotton
CEO, Lionstream Media

The platform is live and got favorable feedback from the people who saw it. Exceptionally skilled and professional, they delivered a high-quality product on time. The agile methodology that they use, coupled with their excellent comunication skills, contributed to the seamless process.

I'm the CEO of Lionstream Media. We live stream amateur athletic events so that parents, coaches, and fans can watch the games when they can't attend them in person.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

I had an idea to develop a real-time platform to live stream content, but I needed a developer to help me bring my ideas to life.

I met with one of their sales representatives and we discussed the scope of work. Then, they introduced me to their software development team and my project manager and we began developing wireframes. We did the mock-ups and worked collaboratively throughout the whole process.

My website is a mix between Twitch and YouTube. We focus on amateur athletics, specifically, indoor sports (we're planning to grow and stream outdoor sports as well). We're located in Dallas, Texas, where college sports and club teams are very popular, so parents invest a lot of money into their kids being able to play these extracurricular sports. The platform we're creating will allow kids to record all of their games, so that they have a repository they can use when applying for colleges. I also wanted to give parents, grandparents, and friends an opportunity to watch the kids create those memories.

Everything we do is in HD. For every sports event, there is a number of static cameras that are streaming 24/7. In addition to that, our subscribed users can record the event with their cell phones, turning their mobile devices into another camera. Then, our subscribers can choose to watch the feed from other users or the fixed camera streaming.

They used node.js and some other technology to do both the backend and the frontend development for the initial phase. Now they're doing the maintenance and we're starting to develop the  features for phase 2.

I worked with a project manager, iOS and Android developers, and a website developer.

How did you come to work with them?

Initially, I considered hiring in-house developers. I was also looking at third-party companies who had worked on similar projects. As I was going through that process, I came across Zibtek. They made a very good impression on me and I decided to give them a chance.

We've spent between $10,000–$50,000.

We started working with them in October 2017 and the relationship is ongoing.

The platform is live, but it's still in a very early stage and we don't have any customers signed onto the platform. The feedback from the people who saw the app has been very positive and some of them say they would definitely subscribe if the app was available in their area.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They were exceptional. They use agile methodology and touch base with us regularly about what they've completed, where they are, and what objectives they have for the week ahead. They communicate clearly and I've never had a question about where the project was going. We use Zoom and Google hangouts to keep in touch, but they also send me emails and we meet at least three times a week. In addition, the developers use Bitbucket, which is a shared repository for coders, for project management on their end.

If I had my way, I would have wanted to finish the project a little faster, but it's not something they could control – it was a complex process. They did an exceptional job in terms of development and communication.

The reason my project was so successful is because I was very precise and clear about the scope of work. I wasn't relying on them to bring ideas to the table, but rather expected them to execute what we discussed. However, I was open to their suggestions if they knew how to do something better.

Overall Score I've been very pleased with them.
    They met all the deadlines.
    Their prices are somewhere in the middle, but you get what you pay for. I wouldn't go for a less expensive option after I'd worked with them.
    They exceeded my expectations.
    I'd absolutely recommend them.

Custom Dev for HR Outsourcing Company

"Every project we give Zibtek is completed in a timely manner, which makes them a great partner."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Zibtek serves an outsourced IT support role as well as writing code to build a custom software HR onboarding platform. Features include DocuSign and E-Verify technology for time stamps and signatures.

Phoenix, Arizona
Eric Tope
Business Consultant, Creative Business Resources

Thanks to Zibtek’s skilled incorporation of complex features, the platform anticipates a positive reception and rapid traction post-launch. Beyond immediately addressing any issue, the team’s consistent communication, firm adherence to timelines, and uncompromising quality continue to impress.

Creative Business Resources (CBR) is an HR outsourcing company. I previously served as the point person overseeing the implementation of new software and now I’ve transitioned into a sales role.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We were unhappy with the service of our previous IT/software company. We wanted to find a new company to outsource our IT needs that could also help us with internal software development projects.

The first project Zibtek worked on was fixing the issues and patching the holes the other company left behind. Once that was done, they started building a human capital management and onboarding platform. We handle the onboarding needs (i.e., new hire paperwork) for the companies we manage. The tool we were using wasn’t cutting it, so we decided to build our own platform.

We had many discussions with Zibtek to map out exactly the custom features we want. They took point on building the platform including writing the code. They incorporated DocuSign technology for time stamps and signatures as well as E-Verify so forms will be accepted by the government. We have weekly calls to discuss the roadmap, how we can hit our goals, and work out any issues or kinks that come up. They also provide customer support if there's an issue with the onboarding platform.

I mainly interact with our project manager, who is based in Utah. He coordinates with the programmers based in either Utah or India.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

Zibtek reached out to our owner and he asked me to lead the vetting and screening process. I’d spoken with three other companies but Zibtek stood out as the best choice for the project. We sent over a detailed description of the code we use and luckily they’re able to work with it, making them a perfect fit.

We’ve spent around $150,000.

We started working together in April 2016 and the engagement is ongoing.

Our HR team is extremely excited about the onboarding tool. I’ve shared updates on the new features and functionality as well as how it will help streamline their work. The tool is on track to be done this week and will soon be in full use by everyone in the HR department.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

Their teams in Utah and India are always available and in constant communication. In addition to weekly calls, the project manager sends over daily progress reports of what they’re working on and deadlines for completion. They immediately jump on any issue that pops up and get it taken care of very quickly. Every project we give Zibtek is completed in a timely manner, which makes them a great partner.

We never knew what we’d get with the previous software company. There was no communication, projects were pieced together at the last minute, and we never felt like a priority. What I truly enjoy about Zibtek is having a project manager that I've gotten to know on a business and a personal level. We have a good relationship as well as a strong partnership. Their communication is great and they put our needs on a priority list, which helps them get things done in a timely manner.

The only area they could improve would be the small language barrier from the India team to us. There have been times where items/tasks can get lost in translation and can sometimes take extra effort to come to a clear understanding.

When working on a software project, it's good to have a roadmap of what the finished project is going to look like. Then it's best to stay the course and keep the programmers focused on that one goal and hitting your timeline. You can always go back and make changes or adjustments once it’s complete.

Stick to your original plan and don’t distract them by adding other features.

iOS Development for Business Consumer Platform

They seemed genuinely excited to help us create all the products we envisioned.”

Aug. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Zibtek built a private photo and video messaging app catered to small groups and one-on-one contact. Prompts and questions facilitate thoughtful and intimate discussions with long distance friends and family.

Salt Lake City, Utah
CEO, IT Company

Zibtek successfully launched a version one product in the App Store. The team delivered on time and within budget. Notable strengths included reliability, strong communication, and affordable prices. When faced with ambiguity, resources were honest about their capabilities and kept promises.

We have multiple businesses, but our lab company specifically partnered with Zibtek.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We needed additional iOS developers who could quickly start working on our project. Hiring new permanent staff members would have required a lengthy interview, hiring, and onboarding process.

Zibtek developed our social networking app for small group and individual private messaging. Our product is targeted towards individual consumers rather than businesses. It lets users send photo and video messages that they wouldn’t want to share on more public forms of social media.

One notable feature is a series of questions and prompts that encourage users to share stories, ideas, and experiences. It’s perfect for staying in touch with long distance friends and family, or reconnecting after being out of touch. This environment facilitates sharing more personal information than one would post on Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat.

In the beginning, Cash [CEO and Founder, Zibtek] helped facilitate the project. As it progressed, our dedicated project manager took the lead. We started out with a team of three developers and ramped down to two resources towards the end.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

I was familiar with Zibtek from our previous work together a while back. We selected them based on my longstanding relationship with Cash [CEO and Founder, Zibtek]. We met 4-5 years ago through mutual friends and I'd gotten to know and like him. When it came time to pick a solution for this project, he was at the top of our list.

The project cost approximately $40,000.

We started working with Zibtek in August 2017 and finished this project in late January 2018. They helped us launch our version one in the app store. Right now, we're working on marketing and publicity. We want to establish more users before starting further development. Seeing how the initial version performs will guide our future investment decisions.

Zibtek did a good job for us and built a quality app. We launched in the app store very recently. Currently, we’re testing the product with small groups of people we know. We only have about 150 users right now. We had to fix a few bugs, but that's nearly inevitable with any development team. The significant amount of development they completed would have been much more expensive in any other circumstance.

We appreciated the team’s positive attitude. They seemed genuinely excited to help us create all the products we envisioned. The developers they provided were nice, happy, and easy to work with. They secured a positive outcome in light of our goals.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

The team participated in daily standup calls with our in-house developers. We included them in our existing Pivotal Tracker account for design documentation. Our local developer used this tool to assign tasks for aspects like stories. We included their resources in our Slack channels to facilitate daily communication. The project manager was located nearby us in Utah and facilitated contact with the rest of his team. Meeting face-to-face to brainstorm and whiteboard concepts mitigated communication problems.

Zibtek managed the project well and delivered close to the original estimate. They were straightforward and honest whenever they lacked experience in a certain area or faced ambiguity with timelines. We appreciated that they didn't over-promise and under-deliver. They were good about keeping their promises from a timing perspective.

Zibtek’s best asset was their reliability. They kept all the promises they made and consistently followed through. The team got things done within the timing we agreed to.

The only feedback I ever gave Cash [CEO and Founder, Zibtek] was related to the design parameters. We had to be extremely explicit about the deliverable we wanted. We gave them exact pixel designs for the build. When we gave them clear instructions, they efficiently completed the work very well.

I encourage them to train their developers in UX design to a degree. Even if they're not a full-time designer, this would help them understand best practices while coding. It would be great to have had them generate new ideas independently. That's the only place they lack some skill.

You will have much more success with any outsourced development team if your documentation is thorough. I suggest building flow diagrams, wireframes, and sketches for the exact UX specs. A detailed design document should explain how the app should function, why, and what you're trying to help the user accomplish. Using this method generated significant success with the Zibtek team. We struggled more when we were ill prepared and had missing documentation or unclear ideas.

They delivered on the deadlines we discussed.
    They're a great value for what we pay.
    We occasionally had bugs and UI problems, but our team was somewhat responsible. We had to be explicit about our desired specs.
    I don't know if outsourced development is the best idea for every company and scenario. It depends on specific situations.

Software Dev. for Student-Athlete Development Platform

"They’re not a traditional outsourcing agent because they try to help grow your company."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Zibtek handles all of the product requirements related to development for a Java-based software platform. They fill the technology and development gaps within the client’s team.

Greenville, North Carolina
CEO, Student-Athlete Development Platform

Zibtek’s development work resulted in increased customer satisfaction and use; users have taken 60,000 courses on the platform. Their team seamlessly embeds with the client’s team, offering constant communication and support. They offer expertise, efficiency, and effective management.

I’m the CEO of a business that provides a software platform to athletics organizations, which helps with athlete development and preparation for life after athletic involvement. We have two kinds of customers: athletic organizations and employers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We don’t have a technology lead in-house. We were looking for someone that would be able to fulfill this need. We previously worked with different in-house and external technology resources, but we really needed to manage these resources better.

I’m the product lead while they are the development lead for our software platform. They handle all the product requirements associated with development. The software is a multi-user, Java-based platform that has a learning management system that combines virtual career services with mentorship.

Think of an athletics organization as the central buyer, so they have an administrative function. Their athletes are the student users and they are using our system for assessments and learning courses. These courses are all assigned randomly through their administration. The platform is centralized to the learning management system, and it provides career opportunities with different employers that are interested in hiring them. Any individuals considered to be alumni stay engaged in the platform through virtual mentorship, which is another point of engagement for a current student.

They are essentially our full-time development staff. We’ve had the same project manager and the same development team throughout the course of our engagement. We have fluctuated between having two or four full-time developers; this changes on a monthly basis.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

A friend introduced us to them.

We spent over $200,000 last year, but this year we should spend around $150,000.

We started working together in January 2017 and the work is ongoing.

Customer satisfaction and use have increased significantly. In 2017, we had 16,000 courses taken. To date, we’ve had 60,000 courses taken, which is an extremely positive indicator for platform use.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

During our prior collaborations with third-party teams similar to Zibtek, they lacked effective project management. Zibtek combines first-class developers with a strong project management team to create a fantastic work experience. Their developers are not only efficient but also offer expertise. Their project management and development operations allow us to make the most of our investment, time, and resources.

We regularly use Slack, typically meeting every hour. We have conference calls several times a week, which involve the project management team and our development team overseas. We also use email to communicate. I get daily updates that provide insight into what the team has accomplished that day. These updates highlight needs and blockers that we have to address, and highlight the work required to finish the sprint we’re working on.

Even though they’re an outsourced development team, they are ingrained in our team and work culture. For example, the lead project manager from their team executed a product demo during its development phase to prepare our sales team for impending updates. Everyone knows who they are, and they get back to our team members. In contrast to our previous parochial and rigid engagements, they are involved and engaged. They really focus on their customers. They work relentlessly on any bugs or issues to make sure things get fixed.

Their CEO is very intelligent and knows what it takes to establish a successful startup company. We’ve talked about what it takes to thrive in the startup world, which is what attracted me to work with them. They’re not a traditional outsourcing agent because they try to help grow your company.

No, but I don’t know their full range of capabilities. They probably have more product management capabilities than they are sharing with us, so we could learn a little more about what they have to offer.

Don’t get scared away if you aren’t technically minded. I’m not the most technically minded individual, but they don’t shy away from working with people who aren’t as technologically inclined. You’ll be better off if you engage in deeper conversations with them sooner rather than later.

They are very cost effective.

Development for Web-Based Software Solutions Company

"They’ve been good to work with.”

n/a

2017 - Ongoing

Zibtek developed a web-based software solution using a model-view-controller architectural pattern. Working on the design and development of the product, they ensured it was browser and mobile friendly.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Project Manager, Software Company

Developing the solution based on the provided requirements, the team works conscientiously and professionally. They are always able to deliver and solve any problems promptly and reliably, while maintaining effective daily communication.

We’re a software development company, dealing in software related to the drug testing industry for regulated and non-regulated drug tests. I’m a project manager of a back-office solution we have.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We have some client facing software needs in a web browser. We needed someone to help engineer a client facing site for our product.

We needed the product to be web-based and suitable for handheld devices. We began with the original requirements and some basic designs. They provided design and solutions for the end product. It’s now in production and we’re working on enhancements.

One requirement was to make the interface compatible with both a standard browser and with a handheld device. We had to be able to pass authorization forms by email and text to handheld devices. They used MVC [model-view-controller] for the project.

They provided a designer, a project manager, and—when necessary—technical input for some special needs that we had.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

I wasn’t involved in that decision.

We started working together in 2017 and the work is ongoing.

We gave them a number of requirements and they worked through those. They’ve always been timely on their deliveries and when we’ve needed estimates or requirements, they’re always able to deliver. If we have difficulties, they pull people in and work over the weekend in order to resolve any critical issues. They’ve been good to work with.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

We get a daily update from their project manager with a synopsis of what was accomplished and what wasn’t completed yet. We do a status call once a week too and, in general, the communication is really good. We use wireframe documents and email.

I like their documentation and their daily communication. They communicate well.

No. It’s been a good working relationship.

Make sure you have your pre-designs ready with documentation about what you’re going to do. It makes it more efficient when you hand that off to another entity to do coding.

Five stars belong to people you’ve had a longer relationship with than just a year.
  • N/A Cost
    I don’t work on that side but it must be acceptable because we still work with them.
    It’s been a good experience for us. We’d recommend them.

Additional Dev Resources for Leasing Company

"I was impressed with the speed they got into my codebase."

Oct. 2012 - Oct. 2014

Using a Scrum methodology, Zibtek assisted with backend/frontend coding, added new features to a custom-built CRM, and resolved bug issues.

Draper, Utah
Al Wild
Former CTO, Crest Financial

Within a week, the number of completed tasks doubled and productivity skyrocketed. Experienced with Microsoft MVC, C#, and SQL Server stack, their developers quickly got up to speed with the project, becoming part of the team and meeting all their deadlines.

When I worked with Zibtek, I was the CTO at Crest  Financial.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We had a custom-built CRM that we used to manage our lease portfolio, and the number of our customers grew to the point where we needed more resources. We were looking for a company to help us with development work.

It was a standard Scrum process and they were working directly in my codebase, so I could easily review their work. They supplied Microsoft full-stack developers, who helped me with everything: coding on the backend and frontend, adding new features to the custom-built CRM, and fixing bugs. They used a standard Microsoft MVC, C#, SQL Server stack. I had a backlog of hundreds of issues, so they got down to work as soon as we added them to the team.

At first we had two developers, but eventually there were four developers working on our project.

How did you come to work with them?

Their owner and I used to work together at Crest Financial, so when I needed developers, I naturally thought of them.

We paid $4,500 per developer per month, so the total was about $200,000.

We started working with them in October 2012 and we stopped using Zibtek in October 2014, when we hired in-house developers.

We tracked their commits, the tickets they completed, the number of bugs they fixed, and the number of cycles between them and the QA. They integrated with the rest of my team, so it was easy to distribute work to them. A week after our initial phone call, it was as if my team doubled in size and the productivity skyrocketed.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

I did the project management myself. I interfaced with them daily via a Skype channel that was constantly open so I could give them feedback instantly. We also used Jira, email, and weekly calls to communicate.

I was impressed with the speed they got into my codebase.

Communicating across the ocean was sometimes difficult, even with Skype and phone calls. We were one of their first clients, so they probably refined their process by now.

Don't separate them from your team. Let them be another member of your team and they'll do great work for you.

Overall Score I'm considering using them for another project that is coming up.
    They never missed a deadline.
    We got full-time developers and excellent project management.
    Sometimes it took a couple of cycles to find the developers that I liked.
    I've recommended them to several places already.

Backend Dev for Social Media Software Tool

“They were the most enthusiastic employees we could have hired.”

June 2015 - Ongoing

Zibtek provided staff augmentation to support social media API documentation and data analytics, cleansing, and storage. The team provided full stack programming with a focus on backend systems.

Director of Customer Analytics, LiftMetrix

Zibtek’s engineers worked as a diligent and enthusiastic extension of the in-house programming team. As they worked on three simultaneous projects, they used Slack and Jira to clearly communicate and establish project requirements, easily mitigating problems related to time zone differences.

My prior company, LiftMetrix, was acquired by the social media management software tool HootSuite. We help small and large companies publish their social media. When LiftMetrix worked with Zibtek, it was an analytics company focused on social data.

What challenge were you trying to address with Zibtek?

We had been short on engineers. While in the process of hiring, we thought we could fill that gap with staff from an outsourced firm.

The team completed the job from start to finish, optimizing along the way. After Zibtek pulled data from social networks, they cleansed, stored, and packaged it for use on the frontend. They build a lot of backend systems for us to digitize as well. Developers did full end-to-end coding for the frontend and backend with a focus on the latter. They understood how to optimize API calls, write that efficiently into a server, and make it usable to us at scale. After reading the documentation, they asked us which programming language to write it in. They found the best way to reduce the number of API calls and store that data in the backend server.

Jared Cambra was our business and project management point of contact for three simultaneous projects. He worked with a development team, and assigned a specific engineer for each project. When we got into the technical information, our team spoke directly with their engineers.

How did you come to work with Zibtek?

Zibtek reached out with a cold email, which we don't often respond to. They had a good pitch and had found us in a time of need. First, they did a short two-week test to demonstrate their capability. The monthly results were good, so we kept them on. Though we ended up hiring more engineers in-house, we liked having outsourced developers who we didn't have to necessarily manage. We found special and new projects for them to maintain, and continued our engagement for almost three years. That was a much longer relationship more than we ever expected.

We started working together in mid 2015, and they're still on retainer.

The best thing about Zibtek is their communication. It doesn't feel as outsourced when our engineers speak directly to theirs. They function as an extension of our team and we direct them on a daily basis. This dynamic allows us to manage them as if they were in our office. Secondly, they're diligent about getting things done. They work off hours from us, but accommodated the overlapping hours we requested. It always seems like they're working more than we necessarily pay for. Either they're very skilled and efficient coders, or they're going above and beyond to put in extra time for us. We typically find that they finish projects or short-term timelines more quickly than we'd expect.

How did Zibtek perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Slack for daily standup and communications, and assigned tickets through Jira. They handle everything related to that and consistently hit deadlines. Jira also works as a communication tool, since it allows us to set our expectations.

Their general attitude and communication were their strongest assets. The team was consistently motivated and seemed excited to work with us each day. It felt like having an employee who came in every morning enthusiastic to learn and crush their work. Their attitude yielded really good timelines, deliveries, and communication. We never had any problems arise from working in different countries and time zones. They were the most enthusiastic employees we could have hired.

I wish they’d expressed stronger opinions at times. They looked to us for most project management and tech decisions, including due dates and what coding language to use. We often move quickly, so I'd love for them to tell us their ideas and be more assertive.

It’s best to open up a communication dialogue directly with the engineers and to work through Slack. They are as communicative as any in-house employee, and can act as an extension of your team.

We have recommended them in the past.