Rent tech talent from top software agencies

YouTeam is a curated B2B marketplace for tech talent that matches businesses with engineers available within software companies around the globe.

With 5 jobs per candidate hiring software developers is a major challenge.
At the same time hundreds of thousands great engineers employed at software agencies remain outside of the global market.

Finally, the losses associated with underloaded and idle tech staff amount to an average of 10% of a typical software agency costs.

YouTeam solves both sides of the equation by allowing businesses to rent engineers from the carefully vetted pool of software agencies. The customers can handpick developers for their team before engaging the company that employs them. YouTeam also provides tools that address key risks of IT outsourcing, such as payment and code escrow and independent verification of skills.

The platform is free for customers and invitation-only for vendors that have to pass a thorough due-diligence procedure.

Headquarters
  • YouTeam
    6 floor, Aldgate Tower, 2 Leman Street
    London
    +44 020 358 91 385

Tide, Elements, Candesic, SuperCarers, Integro

Platform Development for Online Book Retailer

"As soon as I started talking to them, YouTeam adopted a hands-on approach. Project plans were put together before we were charged any costs."

YouTeam developed an online bookstore's website from scratch and helped the London-based founder execute his vision.

Piers Karpinski
Founder & CEO at Areobooks, Ltd.

The client got along really well with YouTeam, even meeting in relaxed settings just to catch up. A minor issue was that update calls occurred often but not on at a recurring interval, making scheduling difficult. All in all the client was happy with design and development processes.

Areobooks is an online bookstore. I am the owner of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with YouTeam?

We needed to build a company website from scratch. At that stage, the company was more of a seed in my mind, so YouTeam didn't have many details on which to base their work.

YouTeam built my website from scratch. I also worked with YouTeam in the first quarter of 2016 on updating my website, based on customer feedback and our own usage of it. We wanted to make a few tweaks to it, most of them cosmetic. We focused on making the homepage and blog more interactive and interesting. It was a small, discrete project, but the benefit that we got from it came from the level of understanding that YouTeam acquired for the Areobooks website. This made the process easier.

Our website was built using Python and Django. The templates have been posted on GitHub, so I can evaluate YouTeam's work at any time. Their expertise is much greater than mine, so I don't have a need to do it.

We have various online repositories where information and workflows are pulled. YouTeam posts queries which I can answer directly. We used InVision for sharing designs. YouTeam's designers created wireframes which I could comment on. I found this to be a good way of finalizing designs.

We have worked with a project manager from YouTeam. He acted as the conduit between me and the actual designers and developers. Typically, we've worked with 2 frontend and 2 backend developers simultaneously.

Our latest project only had one designer, one frontend and one backend developer, as well as a project manager.

How did you come to work with YouTeam?

I got in touch with 2-3 London-based vendors for quotes. I picked YouTeam mostly because they were much more enthusiastic about the project. As soon as I started talking to them, YouTeam adopted a hands-on approach. Project plans were put together before we were charged any costs, just to create a scope that could help me get a better idea of YouTeam's capabilities and pricing. Compared to the 2 other vendors, YouTeam was much more impressive, convincing me to choose them. I think that I was one of the earliest clients of YouTeam, so they didn't have the same depth of references that they have now. The decision to use YouTeam was made by comparing them directly to the other candidates.

How much have you invested with YouTeam?

Our first project with YouTeam had a cost of $32,000, [25,000 GBP] while the second one was $7,000 [5,000 GBP].

We started building the scope of the project with YouTeam at the end of January, 2015. We've moved into a slightly different phase. YouTeam's primary market consists of startups, so they've provided a bit of advice on our business trajectory, acting as more than web developers.

We updated our landing page earlier in 2016. The changes were more cosmetic and I provided guidance in terms of how everything should look, with considerable support from YouTeam. We've had a lot of positive feedback for the new page. Given its importance for the whole website, it made a huge difference.

How did YouTeam perform from a project management standpoint?

Our first project was slightly larger and ended up going slightly over budget and taking a bit longer than anticipated. This was in large part due to changes made to the scope. We didn't make large modifications but, because we were building something from scratch, the outsets couldn't be anticipated. For our second project with YouTeam, we actually came in under budget. It was nice to see that this is actually possible. Time-wise, YouTeam also performed well.

Besides using a project management tool, we had update calls with YouTeam on a regular basis. Depending on how busy we were at each stage of the project, we had team calls once every fortnight. Any discrete queries were communicated through Skype.

What did you find most impressive about YouTeam?

I got along with the team really well. Because YouTeam has a London office, we went out for beers a number of times, in order to catch up. On one hand, we pay them as professionals to provide a service, but it's great to be able to go out, have a beer and relax. It made our relationship with YouTeam so much nicer.

Are there any areas YouTeam could improve?

YouTeam could consider being more regimented in terms of updates. If a project is running for 3-4 months, having a weekly diary that everyone sticks to, making sure that things don't slip, would be important. We had update calls, but we didn't have a weekly timeslot, which meant that we had to synchronize everyone involved every time. It's a minor point, which didn't cause any lapses, though.

Overall Score The fact that YouTeam was so enthusiastic and we had such a good relationship made a big difference.
    We hit all deadlines, but I would have appreciated more feed-back from YouTeam.
    YouTeam provided high-quality service, but what really made them stand out was the enthusiasm shown by the team. YouTeam jumped at the idea and even made me more enthusiastic about the whole process.