Make your app smarter

We're a product development firm that caters the demands of high-growth startups and forward-thinking companies aiming to build transformational, mobile-first software products.

We follow a lightweight process guided by agile principles to foster collaboration and flexibility. Our team is distributed between San Francisco, Los Angeles and Montevideo.

We embrace an Open Source ethos and our technology stack includes iOS, Android, Ruby & JavaScript.

Montevideo, Uruguay

Nobly

Cipherhealth

Chefsfeed

Web Development for Freelancer Platform

"They will execute on all specifications and do so fairly quickly—that’s what makes a developer special to me."

2012 - Ongoing

Xmartlabs developed a freelance job platform using Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, jQuery, and AWS. Post-launch, the team identifies and troubleshoots all issues while providing software updates as necessary.

CEO, Free & Willing

The platform has not experienced any substantial problems since its launch, a product of Xmartlabs’ quality code and careful approach. During an extensive engagement, the team has proven to be communicative, reliable, and efficient, making them valuable offshore development partners.

I am the founder of Free & Willing, a freelance job platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

Xmartlabs helped me develop, launch, and evolve the platform.

While initially developing the website, I provided Xmartlabs with designs and content, and I relied on their team to build the backend. The website utilizes AWS and is coded with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and jQuery. Over time, I improved my own coding skills, but Xmartlabs cleaned up much of my work. Since the site was completed and launched, I have relied on Xmartlabs to provide updates as necessary.

The team usually consists of a project manager and a developer, but a technical lead is sometimes involved depending on how junior or senior the developer is.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

I began working with Xmartlabs about six years ago when I approached them about a proof of concept. I appreciated their strong communication. Even though they are remote, we operate in the same time zone, and I preferred to work with them over a developer in Asia or Europe.

I engaged them originally in 2012, but this current project began in 2014 and remains ongoing.

Throughout the development and post-launch, Xmartlabs has proven to be efficient and reliable. My website has experienced no major issues because Xmartlabs prioritizes both functionality and a strong UX.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

I can sleep well at night knowing that they’re on my team. We collaborate well through Slack for day-to-day tasks. We only use email when discussing financial terms.

Their written English is strong, but their spoken English could be improved. Still, it’s nothing that prevents us from working together.

We have had very few issues.
    They offer a competitive price.
    I frequently recommend them.

Staff Augmentation for B2B Analytics Software Provider

"... they go above and beyond to understand our product and the product evolution."

Mar. 2018 - Ongoing

Xmartlabs uses Java, MySQL, Ebean, Framework, and React to work alongside an in-house team on various development projects.

CEO, B2B Software Provider

The in-house team is impressed with the quality of their work. Becoming part of an internal team, Xmartlabs has met all expectations, while their expertise, rigor, and commitment made them a reliable partner.

I'm the CEO of a B2B software provider.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We needed additional development resources that would become part of our development team.

They've done a number of development projects for us using mainly Java. They've also used MySQL, Ebean, Framework, and React. We made them part of our development team, so I don't see our collaboration as outsourcing–even though they're based in Latin America.

We work with three of their developers.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

They were recommended to me by a colleague who had worked with them previously.

We started working with them in March 2018 and the relationship is ongoing.

They've met all of our expectations, and they've done all the work we assigned to them with rigor and diligence. We see them as part of our team, and they're acting that way. I can give them any kind of work at this point.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been using our internal project management tools, such as Pivotal Tracker and Slack.

They've blended in with the rest of our team rather than being a separate team. Also, they go above and beyond to understand our product and the product evolution.

Nothing comes to mind.

Product Design & Development for Restaurant Jobs Board

"My product wouldn’t be where it is without Xmartlabs."

Xmartlabs is providing backend development for an online job board, primarily by helping to write algorithms. They're also assisting with the design.

Denver, Colorado
CEO, Restaurant Jobs Board

Communicating clearly from the start, Xmartlabs’s expert team inspires confidence throughout the project. Their understanding of the technology helps them meet or beat deadlines, as well as offer useful tactical advice about the product.

I'm the CEO of a company that provides job boards for the food service industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

I needed help with backend development.

I don’t want to get in to specifics, but they’re helping me write some algorithms. I’m also working with them on design.

I work with 3–4 members of their team.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

They were recommended by our frontend developed. I trust them so I decided to rely on their recommendation.

Our work together started in January 2018 and the engagement is ongoing.

My product wouldn’t be where it is without Xmartlabs. They have the expertise to actually bring my idea to life. I'm not a technical expert, so they explain everything to me and really guide me through the more complex parts.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m totally content. They’ve never missed a deadline. We communicate using Trello, Slack, and daily stand-ups.

They’re pretty amazing. They’ve gone out of their way to learn about my project, and make sure the right people are working on it. They’re based in Uruguay. I moved down there to build the software, and they treat me like family. I've gained a lot of insight from them about my product. They ask good questions, and challenge me to use my knowledge.

Not really.

They always hit deadlines, or even come in ahead of schedule.
    They’re cost effective compared to American firms, and deliver excellent ROI.
    They guide the project forward, and are always on top of their game.

Mobile Wallet App Dev for Digital Identity Platform

"Since this app was an unfulfilled goal, I consider seeing it in the App Store to be a marker of success."

Nov. 2016 - 2017

Xmartlabs developed a mobile application on native iOS and Android platforms. The app supported pre-existing APIs and UIs. The iOS version is now live in the App Store.

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Former VP, Digital Identity Platform

The team’s expert knowledge helped them manage workflows and unfamiliar development concepts. They were communicative, insightful and organized. The partnership was smooth due to active participation on both sides.

I was the VP of engineering for a digital identity platform. We worked to simplify how individuals could securely prove their identity online.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We had built APIs and UIs, but didn’t have a mobile presence. We wanted a mobile application to introduce ourselves to that market, but didn’t have the in-house resources to build one.

Xmartlabs developed a mobile wallet app for iOS and Android with support from our in-house design team. The solution enabled users to redeem benefits and verify their identity at our partner websites. Users would create an account and then store and manage their various identifications—whether student or military—in the app. Xmartlabs built the solution on native platforms and released the iOS version into the App Store in late 2017.

Enrique (Co-Founder, Xmartlabs) served as the project manager. The team included a technical architect, and a full-time engineer for each mobile platform.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

Another vendor that we knew and trusted recommended Xmartlabs. As a result, they were high on our list when we evaluated different firms.

We started working together in November 2016. I left the company in September 2017 and the partnership ended a few months after that.

Since this app was an unfulfilled goal, I consider seeing it in the App Store to be a marker of success. Overall, the team was insightful and provided intimate knowledge about native app development. We completely relied on them to finish the app.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

Communication was consistent. They did phone calls, daily stand-ups, and weekly sprints on a regular basis. The team excelled at backlog management and always kept us in the loop.

Some of our concepts were in the identity space and weren't common in typical app development projects. The team leveraged their expertise to learn new things quickly. They were also helpful with the overall process and sprint planning.

The language barrier caused some confusion. We communicated over Slack and asked for a few clarifications. While it was the only thing that came up, it wasn’t a real issue.

Don’t treat technology vendors like another black box that will figure everything out. Be involved in the process to have a successful product at the end. Results require work on both sides.

Web App Dev for Group Tracking Tool

“Their developers are highly skilled and responsive.”

Apr. 2018 - Aug. 2018

Using the technical requirements that were provided to them, Xmartlabs developed a React Native frontend for a web app.

New Jersey
Founder, Xapnik

The internal team is impressed with the high quality of their code. Reliable and transparent, Xmartlabs became a true partner, while using an agile methodology helped them establish an effective process from the beginning.

I'm the founder of Xapnik. Xapnik is a tracking tool for small groups that allows people to follow each other and engage in activity on social media.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

I had a prototype of the app, which I built in Angular, but it wasn't good enough to launch with. I was looking for a company to help me rewrite it in React Native and update it to ensure it's a progressive web app.

I provided them with the full write-up of the technical and business requirements. After that, they came back to me with a detailed proposal that included the timeline and the cost. Then, they developed a React frontend, while I wrote the backend. I'm also planning to do phase 2 with them.

I worked with one full-time developer and a project manager.

How did you come to work with them?

They were a recommendation from a friend who had used them for smaller React Native projects and was happy with their work. When you hire an offshore company, there are usually concerns about the quality of work and a language barrier, but Xmartlabs has a very professional team that speaks perfect English. I also liked the fact that they used agile methodology, so I hired them.

I spent about $30,000.

I worked with them between April–August 2018.

They produced a high-quality code. Initially, I had to do everything myself, so they were a tremendous help. They treated me like a member of their team rather than a customer, which was extremely valuable to me.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They broke down their work in daily tasks, so I could see their day-to-day progress. We also used Trello and Slack for project management. They were very transparent and stayed on schedule. It was a pleasure to work with them.

Their developers are highly skilled and responsive.

I can't think of anything. I was really happy with them.

iOS App Dev for Housing Platform

"They finished the application and accomplished everything we needed."

Xmartlabs developed a native iOS app for a real estate company to better serve its customers. Their UI interacts with an existing API and allows renters to better manage money and utilities within a household.

CEO, Housing App

The completed app met all requirements. Xmartlabs offered ideas for improvement and guidance for product testing. They performed well beyond the original scope, a credit to their communicative and bright team of developers.

I was the co-founder of a real estate app that allows renters to manage their apartments and bills.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We had them work on a native iOS application with a user interface that interacted with the API that our team had already built.

They designed the application that allows users to better manage their money as it pertains to their homes or apartments. Users can split bills with roommates and set up accounts for gas, electric, internet, and renter’s insurance.

We worked with two to three Uruguay-based developers.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

They had worked on some open-source projects we had used before. We reached out to them because many of the components we were using in our application were elements their team had built.

We paid them $2,500 per developer per week. I do not have an exact total.

We contracted with them for very specific features, and they delivered them. They finished the application and accomplished everything we needed.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Trello and Slack to stay in communication. They were quick to respond and complete certain features. More or less, they met the project’s deadlines. We all had to adjust to the time difference—we only had a couple hours in the morning to overlap schedules, but overall it was smooth.

If something was outside the scope of the product, like a build tool that would help us speed up our development or a test we needed to integrate, they seemed to be very on top of the best practices, and they worked well with our existing engineering team on integrating those things.

No, none come to mind.

iOS App Dev for Point-of-Sale Solutions Company

“They were invested in our company and wanted to see the product succeed.”

Aug. 2014 - Sep. 2015

Xmartlabs took over the app dev when the previous firm was unable to dedicate enough time to the project. They built the entire app and integrated it with multiple hardware such as printers.

Montevideo, Uruguay
CTO, Nobly POS

Xmartlab built exactly what was required and consistently met deadlines. Their team was responsive and attentive, solving even some of the most complex problems. They didn’t do project management, but worked in tandem with the in-house team.

I’m the technical co-founder and current CTO of Nobly POS, an iPad-based point of sale system.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We had a minimum viable product for our app, but our contractor didn’t have enough time to dedicate to our project. We needed a partner who could develop the iPad app, which is the main app our merchants use in their stores.

Xmartlabs built the iOS app for our POS system. They initially worked in Objective-C but eventually switched over to Swift. They integrated the product with various different hardware, such as printers and payment providers.

They operated as an essential part of our team and even interacted with customers and helped market the product.

They provided a designer and three developers.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

A friend referred me to Xmartlabs. They were in the right time zone, could speak English well, and had a good value for cost.

We spent around $60,000.

We worked together from August 2014–September 2015.

We were incredibly happy with their work.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were available when we needed them, even on weekends and late at night. We used Slack and Jira to communicate, although I did all the project management. We had daily meetings and worked on production issues together.

Xmartlabs solved a lot of difficult problems with our platform. They put their best workers on our project, including one of their founders who’s incredibly talented. They were invested in our company and wanted to see the product succeed.

We didn’t have any problems.

They met every reasonable deadline.
    They would probably hit 5 if we managed our end better.
    I've referred them many times.

Platform Dev for Petcare Marketing Automation Company

Xmartlabs is able to adapt to our industry, and it’s been phenomenal. Their skillsets are incredibly diverse.”

2015 - Ongoing

Xmartlabs is the sole technical resource, providing dev, testing, etc. The team has worked on numerous projects, and quality work leads to a continual partnership.

San Diego, California
Co-Founder, Petcare Marketing Automation Company

Xmartlabs is both transparent and professional. They clearly communicate any workflow issues, and their work is high-quality. Adaptability and flexibility are strong team characteristics.

I’m the cofounder of SwiftPet, a marketing automation tool for the pet care industry. We provide pet businesses with the necessary tools to attract, engage, and retain customers through our marketing tools.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We didn’t have any in-house technical resources, so we needed an external team.

I did the designs with another company, but our platform was built by Xmartlabs in Ruby on Rails. The backend hosting is a combination between Linode and AWS. We use CircleCI for continuous integration and GitHub for our repository and our code.

There were three people involved in our team, including one project manager.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

I’d worked with them before and have known them for seven years. They were suggested to me by a company advisor, and we had a great relationship from the start. We looked at their portfolio and gave them a few test projects, and then we hired them full-time.

The last project was between $20,000–$100,000.

I started working with them on the SwiftPet project in 2015. We completed phase one in early 2017, and we continue to work with them.

We’re actively working on quite a few items, and we plan to launch in January. Xmartlabs does quality work, and I have full access to all the continuous integration and code tests (pass or fail). When I’ve done demos for clients and the early adopters, the app’s worked perfectly. We signed up over 270 beta users in the last two months, and these results continue to prove why I work with Xmartlabs. I don’t see a need for an in-house team because of the quality Xmartlabs produces.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

I don’t have any complaints about project management. When I need to communicate, Slack makes us all more efficient. I get a response almost instantaneously when I post a comment or question. We also use Trello and Pivotal Tracker. I count on Xmartlabs to give me solid feedback, and I trust them to tell me when something should be pushed back. It’s been a collaborative experience.

I’ve met with one of the team members in LA or San Francisco on several occasions. He makes a point to see me when he’s in town.

The pet industry is pretty archaic, so there’s not a lot of marketing automation tools available, but Xmartlabs is able to adapt to our industry, and it’s been phenomenal. Their skillsets are incredibly diverse.

Sometimes there are communication barriers due to language differences. They now have U.S. based support, though, and that makes it easier.

There could be more frequent updates about what’s going on or any issues they run into.

Be patient with the language barrier and understand that they’re experts. Their quality of work speaks for itself. If you don’t trust that, let them do it for you. Give them some tests so you can build a relationship with them. Just know that when you hire them, you’re hiring a team with talent.

Mobile App Dev for Contract Development Company

“They collaborate with us, the designers, and the customer to consistently satisfy our user base.”

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Due to their expertise in Java, Swift, and Objective-C, Xmartlabs took on mobile app dev for our leave management software. They’re fully integrated with the in-house dev team and continue to work on other projects.

Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Jim Czekner
CEO, Meta Section, LLC

Already downloaded 12,000 times, the app is high-quality and well-maintained. Xmartlab is knowledgeable and creative, resulting in a team that provides unique solutions and insightful feedback. They’re responsive and expertly use Atlassian tools to manage their workload and communication.

I’m the CEO of Meta Section, a contract development company. We provide CTO service engagements, due diligence research into potential acquisitions and investments, and custom engineering work usually in the payment space. We also invest in our own startups and technologies that we then sell off.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

We don't have in-house Java Android or iOS Swift developers, and we had acquired a top-ranking app that was written in Objective-C. We don’t have experience with those languages, so we started the search for a firm that provided services in those areas.

We purchased the app, which helps track time off and began learning as much as we could about leave management techniques and services. We received feedback on how the program should work, and then we built a commercial SaaS platform to manage it.
Xmartlabs is engaged in all the mobile work, and they’re fully integrated with our in-house dev team.

We work mainly with Agustin [CEO, Xmartlabs] on our business issues, high-level objectives, and design components, and Enrique [COO, Xmartlabs] on logistical issues, billing concerns, and new project establishment. We also work with about 8–10 developers and the Xmartlabs designers.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

We performed an extensive amount of research into different firms that provided the specific skill set that we needed. We talked to a few of our past vendors and then went to market, looking at apps that had similar components and design aspects that we wanted ours to have. We also looked in the open source space to see who was providing some of that technology, and Xmartlabs had quite a presence there. Because it was open source, we were able to go in and examine their code quality, revisions, and feedback on the implementation. When we finally engaged with Xmartlabs, they brought in designers to make the app more customer-friendly, so we hired them.

[Confidetial]

We started working together in October 2015 and it’s ongoing.

They work in sprints, so we received deliverables every week, which helped us stay focused and on track. We did about 15 sprints, and we were satisfied with their work. The app has been downloaded about 12,000 times, and our customers are consistently giving positive feedback and suggestions.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

Xmartlabs always communicates and is open to us. They’re on our Slack channels, and they respond even if we’re not running a current sprint. We use Atlassian tools like Bitbucket, Jira, and Confluence to manage tasks, and perform document sharing via Google.

They’re incredibly polite, competent, nimble, and their code is high-quality and maintainable. We’ve been pleased with all their work, and they’re committed to our project and want to see us succeed. As technologists, they’re exceptional. Combine that with their creativity, and their results often exceed our expectations. They collaborate with us, the designers, and the customer to consistently satisfy our user base. Most other agencies provide partial solutions or products, but Xmartlabs engages holistically to give you the best results possible.

Over the past couple of years, Xmartlab has continually improved, so I have nothing to complain about.

Allow Xmartlabs some flexibility to be creative and they’ll come back with potential changes or solutions that you didn’t even think about.

Overall Score We've recommended them numerous times.
    They've never had any timeline problems.
    Their price is a strong value proposition.
    They've met all the deliverables and expectations.

Web & App Development for Food Media Platform

“We’re seeing increases in our web and Android traffic and higher retention and engagement of those users.”

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Xmartlabs developers work full-time as an essential part of the development team. They work on the website, the Android app, the server and infrastructure, and design mockups, and more. The work is ongoing.

Tom Bash
Founder/CEO, ChefsFeed

The team’s work contributed to increases in traffic and higher user interest and attention. The team shows steady dedication as though they were employees, but they bring a contractor’s broad level of expertise, sometimes improving the implementation processes.

ChefsFeed is a chef powered food media company. We produce different types of content in conjunction with chefs including videos, stories, guides, and restaurant and dish reviews. We distribute this content to users via our native iOS and Android apps, website, Apple TV app, social media, and the social property of our chefs. We also syndicate that content to a premium culinary network. My role is GM of product, so I oversee in-house and contract development teams and all of our products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Xmartlabs?

Originally, they were retained to redo the website, but we liked the work that they did, so we’ve expanded their role. We have somebody working on the website on an ongoing basis. We have one developer working full-time on our Android app. Since we have a homegrown CMS, we have another developer who works full-time on the server and infrastructure. They also have some designers in-house that we utilize for design mockups, etc. They’re a core part of our development team.

They’ve focused on our website which is Ruby on Rails. Our whole stack on the server side is built on Heroku. On the web, it’s Ruby on Rails and JavaScript. We work with every modern software company with many third parties, so we have advertising via GFP integrated into our videos and products. On Android, the app is native.

How did you come to work with Xmartlabs?

They were retained before I came on board.

I’ve been doing product management for the last 8 years, most of it managing remote development teams in Ukraine, India, and Western Europe. This was my first time working with a team in South America, which I like a lot. The time zone difference is a lot easier to work with. On the west coast, it’s only 4 hours difference.

Culturally, I think South America is closer to North America too. Generally, there are less cultural and language barriers, and the people there are brought up speaking English and went to European type schools. Our lead developer is based in Buenos Aries, Argentina. Those are some of the factors that played into hiring them at the time. I did a review of everything when I came on, and for these reasons, I chose to keep them on and expand their role.

[Confidential]

We started working with them in January of this year, and the relationship is ongoing.

This year, a lot of results have come from Xmartlabs, as they comprise 50%–60% of our development resources. We’re seeing increases in our web and Android traffic and higher retention and engagement of those users. This could reasonably be attributed with the work that they have done in conjunction with the product side, the features they’re implementing, how they look, etc.

How did Xmartlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They are fully integrated into our tools, so we communicate with them regularly in Slack, JIRA, Confluence, and GitHub. We’re in those tools all day. We run Agile development, and they’re full participants in all of the standard meetings that we have. We have daily standups, sprint reviews, planning meetings, and sprint retrospectives. We’re in constant communication with them throughout the day.

Regarding deadlines, despite being contractors, they have pulled several all-nighters, and they don’t bill for overtime, as we have hard external deadlines around feature releases or new operating system updates from Apple, etc. They have a sense of commitment to meeting deadlines, even if it requires working after hours or weekends.

Culturally, they are more similar to developers you would hire in the U.S., which is great. They don’t blindly do what you ask them to implement. I don’t always have time to exhaustively think through, test, and spec out the best way to implement new features. They proactively make suggestions if they think there is a better way to do something, and they bring that up in an amicable way, and we discuss it. Often times, we end up changing the implementation based on their recommendations.

Being contractors, they’ve worked on a lot of different projects. They’ve seen a lot of different code bases and challenges, so that’s been useful. In addition to the people we have full-time, Enrique [Co-Founder and COO, Xmartlabs] oversees and does some project managing of the team. He joins high-level meetings or technology strategy meetings to provide insight that you’d gain from working with a lot of different clients over the years. It’s useful to get that outside, diverse perspective on some things.

Hiring developers full-time is a huge issue. It takes forever, and it’s expensive. They have scheduled their resources, but with a little upfront planning, like a month or so, we can bring on new developers without having to go through the huge cost of interviewing because they’ve done the vetting for us, and we trust that. Although there is disparity, of course, in how good all the developers are, which would be expected, there is some minimum level of competency that anyone they bring on has.

Try to make them as much a part of your organization as you can. You want them to feel like they’re part of the team, and you want to get to know them. To help them get motivated and committed to it, help them understand the context and the business case for the work that they’re doing.

Despite being contractors, they’ve worked all night or long hours to hit deadlines.
    They’re on the upper end of the cost of South American developers. The value is there, but it is higher cost. You can find less expensive developers in South America.
    I’ve worked with 50 remote individual developers over the years, and I find the work that they do to be as quality and reliable as any as I’ve encountered.
    I haven’t yet but would welcome the opportunity to if it came up.

Company response