We design products that people love to use

Webabstract is a Budapest-based, continuously growing User Experience (UX) company. Being a leading Hungarian UX consultancy, Webabstract has a strong B2B business profile, providing UX research, design and consulting services to domestic and international companies that want to enhance their online presence. We design products that people will love to use.

Among other things, the team of Webabstract has created an applicant tracking system for Ericcson, redesigned one of Hungary’s biggest news portals, doubled the ARPDAU (Average Revenue per Daily Active User) of one of the most downloaded (+60 million) entertainment mobile apps in the Google Store, and helped several big domestic companies and startups to adopt a user-centered thinking and a UX-based product development. All of these projects and the insights we have amassed led us to create Blueprint, our unique, professional UX methodology. Blueprint reflects our fundamental vision to bring customers and companies creating products for them closer to each other. As a result, companies learn how to think with their customer's mind and build products that serve their target audience.

headquaters
  • Webabstract
    Szemere street 19.
    Budapest 1054
    Hungary
    +36 30 6262 966

Ericsson, Erste, FoxTransfer, PhotoWarp, HVG

UX Design for Scheduling Software Company

"They helped us prioritize our goals in a thoughtful manner."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Webabstract created a functional product structure for web and mobile apps, offering valuable business clarification via workshops and user research. They now provide UX design and will start development soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Co-Founder, Scheduling Software Company

Thanks to Webabstract’s insightful suggestions, the redirected project focus has streamlined business objectives and expedited product evolution. The team’s outstanding customer service, responsiveness, and attention to detail continue to drive success.

I’m a co-founder and chief marketing officer of a tennis program management and scheduling software provider. We offer a full management solution for tennis programs that enables owners and club directors to schedule lessons, book new clients, allow clients to schedule lessons, deal with the ecosystem, and bring some much-needed structure to a complicated process.

What challenge were you trying to address with Webabstract?

The tennis industry is complicated in terms of booking lessons. The system is 30 years behind, and everything is done by pencil and paper. Nothing is automated, and it’s hard to reach coaches when trying to book a lesson in a short timeframe. We wanted to remove all of those headaches by building a product for mass-market use.

There are 4 user roles within the platform and 4 different UIs for each of those roles, all of which are connected to each other. What we see as “owner” is completely different to what users see as “director” or “coach” when they log in. Making sense of this process is ridiculous, and it’s challenging to maintain enough flexibility in order for the system to be customized.

We had a couple of Skype conversations with Webabstract’s principal to talk about the product. He was spot-on in his assessments from the beginning. I’ve worked with junior UX people in the past, and I have a few designer friends, but I hadn’t met anyone of his caliber. Typically, designers work within parameters, but we were actually looking to Webabstract to create a functional structure for us.

We had some designs in place before starting the project, but they were basic, consisting of a calendar with some restrictions. I showed these items to Webabstract, and we explained our goals. They recommended that we go through a workshop, so I flew to Budapest for 2 days. I liked the fact that they dug deep into the business issues, and I respected their level of acumen. We were primarily concerned about getting customers to use these functions, but we also wanted to know which features needed to be in place at early stages of the business and which could be built later. They helped us prioritize our goals in a thoughtful manner.

We went through user research and user testing, and Webabstract even involved a former tennis player who now does mobile UX. He leveraged his understanding of both the product side and the game of tennis. We gained several unexpected insights through this process, thanks to Webabstract’s efforts.

Development hasn’t started yet, but I know that Webabstract’s team is looking at using React Native. We have 2 or 3 full-time people now, and I believe that we will have 2 more developers involved later. Like any other agency, people will jump in at different times, as needed.

How did you come to work with Webabstract?

My partner and I talked to an investor and then tried to locate the best UI designer in order to tackle this challenge. I’ve recently moved from Arlington, Virginia to Zurich, Switzerland. My wife is from Budapest, and I considered living there, so I started looking for the best design team from Switzerland to Hungary. I found a few good teams in Switzerland, but compared to Webabstract, they didn’t have the full package.

I looked through Behance and Dribbble for freelancers initially. I contacted a few of them, and I realized that 2 of the 3 people I spoke to were working for Webabstract. I decided to call the company, but they actually reached out to me before I did. We set up a call and went from there.

How much have you invested with Webabstract?

The cost of their design work will be around $20,000.

We started working with Webabstract in April of 2017. The project is ongoing.

We don’t have any metrics yet. Webabstract provided valuable insights that helped clarify some business assumptions we’d made. From a user behavior standpoint, our focus was shifted elsewhere. Users wouldn’t be spending the time to edit all their information while they were on the court, so we needed to make the process easier for them. Webabstract made it easy to answer these questions and shifted our focus to the mobile platform. We were originally going to design a web app with different interfaces, but instead we will start both versions at the same time.

How did Webabstract perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re extremely organized, detailed, clear, and responsive. From my experience, it’s hard to find designers who are experienced in their work but don’t have a huge ego. Webabstract’s team is friendly and humble. They’re customer-service-oriented, but they won’t just say what we want to hear. They posed some tough questions during the workshop, which made me reconsider how I was handling my business. We discussed the issue and figured out a sensible solution. They challenge us, but great results come from our interactions.

What did you find most impressive about Webabstract?

We especially appreciate their customer service and responsiveness. The price is also outstanding, from a US standpoint. I needed to build 4 different UIs across 4 different roles for web and mobile platforms. Doing all of this for $20,000, at the level we achieved, was incredible. I have a friend who worked on a similar platform using an agency in DC, and he paid a ridiculous amount for the work.

Are there any areas Webabstract could improve?

The biggest challenge for Webabstract is that even though they’re great at working remotely, we have to be in the same location in order to work together at certain points. It would be great if Webabstract had a presence in at least 3 other countries, but I think they’ll get there in time.

It’s expensive to build a great product using local firms, without a ton of funding.
    I’d give them a higher score if I could.
    I’ve been in touch with other entrepreneurs in the DC area, and I absolutely will recommend Webabstract’s services. Based on my work with Webabstract, I want them to do well.

Custom Software Dev for Telecom HR

"We had the imagination, and they had the information. It was really great."

Jan. - Apr. 2016

Webabstract built a productivity software tool to expedite recruitment processes and activities for a large telecom company’s HR department.

Talent Acquisition Lead, Telecommunications Firm

With this faster tool, internal staff’s ability to fill positions increased significantly. Webabstract’s relationship-focused team presented a long-term solution to address specific departmental struggles, ensuring a speedy system with built-in reporting functions and a simplified workflow.

We are a telecommunications company in Hungary. I work in the HR department as an acquisition lead.

What challenge were you trying to address with Webabstract?

The main challenge we faced is that we used a tool that was not 100% covering all of our requirements within recruitment processes and activities. For that tool, we were required to use spreadsheets instead of any other tool, creating a massive amount of administration and lots of wasted hours. We were looking for a solution to optimize administration tasks and minimize the time that we spend on it.

They provided the development and building of the tool that we imagined. It’s a candidate tracking system for internal use. This is a tool where we keep all candidate data that we have about our candidates, such as technical test results, personality test results, previous applications, current applications, manager comments, and recruiter comments. Our recruitment team brainstormed together with their team, building the whole tool based on our requirements. The technicality behind the tool and its framework was discussed between Webabstract and one of our IT specialists. We came up with an idea of what we would require and what the tool would be needed for. Together, we developed from scratch the features, colors, columns, and necessary actions; we also determined what is and isn’t automated and which field can be added manually or using built-in features. The most important thing for us is that it contains a live status of the candidate where we have various status examples that we can use, and we can track and even filter answers back on those statuses. We had the imagination, and they had the information. It was really great.

They gave us designers, developers, and a project manager. The greatest thing was that we always had one person who was our contact, and it was really important and really smart of them to keep that. I think it’s really important for everybody to know the key person to turn to within that company since that person would know it’s the designer or the developer who has to fix something or make the changes.

In the development phase, our key contact person was the developer. We had the chance to meet face-to-face with the person who we are actually working with or the person who is working on our tool at that phase. We were able to see adjustments and discuss right away what changes are required, and they conveyed back how is it possible or not possible and what they can do. In the designing phase, the designer came with our main contact person and had the chance to meet and talk to the person who is doing that phase. We were always kept up to date and informed with who is working on the tools and what phase are we in.

How did you come to work with Webabstract?

HR is a pretty small community. In HR events, we are meeting with other recruiters, recruitment agencies, and companies. Webabstract came up in a personal relationship. We had a partner and a friend who was using a similar tool designed for them and recommended Webabstract to us. We had meetings with other companies as well, but the flexibility and creativity from Webabstract really differentiated them from the others. This is why we chose them. Also, their price was reasonable.

It was under $10,000.

We started our discussions and meetings in the first quarter of 2016. The whole tool launched in April 2016.

There have been four big lasting benefits that we have received since using the tool. The first is the work time that we saved. It’s a faster registration, faster tracking of candidate status, easier access to candidate data and contact information, and easier search of candidate history. We also have a built-in reporting function; apart from keeping the candidate data, it does live reporting with one click. We are able to create reports and presentations much faster than it was previously done when manually added. It is obviously saving us time.

It is now a simplified workflow because a lot of statuses and other information is automated in the tool. If we answer one data point, it brings another with it, which saves time. Within our internal organization, anybody can access data when HR provides access. Managers can access the tool and have their information. It is obviously so much faster for everybody to check that than to go and find someone in HR or recruitment, ask for the data, and wait for their replies.

We can say that the candidates’ and hiring managers’ experience has developed since we started using the tool because everything is so much faster; the faster it can go back to the candidate, the faster we can fill the position. These are the main results from using the tool.

How did Webabstract perform from a project management standpoint?

They are smart, accurate, and up to date. We always had access to the information when we needed it. Our contact person was always fast on replies. We have kept our regular meetings to keep things going smoothly. If there were any miscommunications or misunderstandings about what we had requested, or if we didn’t give the information accurately enough, they were fast at correcting small or even big changes. It was really smart of them not to bring everybody but just the person who is responsible for that phase during the development of the tool.

What did you find most impressive about Webabstract?

What’s unique is they build the tool around the customers instead of having one product that they would like to sell. They personalize it for the need and for the purpose that’s required. That was the thing that really stood out when we were doing our research.

Are there any areas Webabstract could improve?

This is not a fault but a fact that’s currently happening which they can look into—namely, developing relationships or incorporating with bigger companies. As a client, we work with bigger, global tools that cannot be changed easily. It would be nice if we had the option to link our tool to that. That was the only thing that we couldn’t find a solution for.

Overall Score The product was implemented quickly and works well. The small adjustments we’re making are based on new ideas that require changes. The tool has been live for almost a year now, and they are always helpful and reachable, ready to answer all our questions.
    This was a matter of missing deadlines, but it wasn’t like they didn’t deliver and we were waiting. They informed us of issues way before the deadline. We always knew what was going on if there was a problem, but there were times when we were delayed.
    I would recommend them. Actually, I’m recommending them currently to everyone when I hear they have a similar problem.

App UI/UX for Photography Company

"Everything went very smoothly."

Webabstract updated the UI and UX design of a mobile app to make it look more modern.

Project Manager, App Development Company

Time spent on the app has increased by more than 8% and daily users have more than doubled. Webabstract's precision, organization, and flexibility stood out.

We’re an app development company that creates entertainment apps for Android. Our flagship app has more than 60 million downloads. My role is project manager, so I’m managing the portfolio of our apps.

What challenge were you trying to address with Webabstract?

The original goal was to update the UX [user experience] and UI [user interface] of the application. I was hired about a year ago to manage this project, and in the two-and-a-half years before that it wasn’t really updated or managed at all. We wanted a more modern look and feel for the app.

We had four or five milestones set up, which we had to modify during the project. We went at a much quicker rate than originally expected. Webabstract was pretty flexible on this, and they were a perfect partner through that process. We reconsidered the original goal of the application and how it fits into the user’s life. We looked at the most common use cases and performed all the necessary analyzing in advance.

Webabstract provided us a couple of versions of their ideas from a UX perspective. We agreed which one to take further, and then they submitted a couple of versions of UI designs. We chose one, and the implementation was very well executed.

The app was built for Android only. We had planned to release an iOS version, but that’s been postponed for now due to limited resources. The application is written in C++.

How did you come to work with Webabstract?

Initially, two of their partners reached out to us. Although it didn’t work out at the time, we’ve since worked with Webabstract on multiple projects.

How much have you invested with Webabstract?

We’ve spent under $10,000.

Our first project together was about 18 months ago. The most recent project started in September of 2016 and was completed in November. We are still collaborating with Webabstract to address some small issues and updates.

The time spent in the application has increased by 8-10%. That’s an important metric for us, as we are monetizing via ads. Our average daily active user statistic has grown 220% since the beginning. Our application is the only customer-facing app that has ever achieved the top 500 in any market from Hungary. Currently, we are in the top 150, so we’re pretty huge.

How did Webabstract perform from a project management standpoint?

Webabstract was very flexible on different issues, questions, and goals that we addressed with them. We received their deliverables via email and using Invision. Everything went very smoothly.

What did you find most impressive about Webabstract?

Webabstract was super precise. The design that Webabstract delivered was nicely organized, which I’ve not experienced before when working with independent contractors.

Are there any areas Webabstract could improve?

They should've been more pushy with their opinions and be less respectful with ours. The amount of their contribution was really outstanding.

It was a good value.
    Our numbers have grown, but we may have grown even more if Webabstract had contributed more in the early stages.