Dedicated Teams for Software & Data Engineering

V.I.Tech is a technology company specializing in Big Data, Data Science, and Analytics, and a recognized problem-solver in the Health Technology space.

Since 2008, our skills and our ideas have been shaping innovation in Healthcare across the globe. Today, top medical technology brands use V.I.Tech services to empower their solutions with healthcare data analytics and prevent health issues for over 60 million people.

• Software Engineering
  • Big Data & Analytics
  • Requirement analysis and management
  • Architecture design
  • Complex solution development
  • Quality assurance and post-release maintenance
  • Architecture & process audit

Application platform
BI & big data focus
BI & big data solutions
Artificial Intelligence Focus

World largest HealthTech companies and start-ups

Patient Analytics Systems

We have build the next generation patient analytics platform that provides faster and more reliable data analysis to accelerate decision-making in the area of preventive medicine. It is designed for pluggable extensions (Calculators and Dimensions), and has integration capabilities for expansion into other businesses.

The key advantages that V.I.Tech designed into the system architecture

include:
  • real-time friendly functionality
  • supporting complex queries consisting of a large number of clinical rules, and requesting data of different type / level
  • supporting custom combinations of clinical rules and date ranges
  • pluggable extensions with new clinical rules and aggregation types
  • categorizing the population stratification by certain criteria
  • faster and more reliable data analysis of patients database
  • facilitating and accelerating decision-making by doctors/clinics in the area of preventive medicine

To conclude, the platform effectively solves the customer’s business challenge and is an important step forward towards the market leadership in population analysis.

Read customer interview →

Software Architecture Analysis for Clinical Research Company

EMWATCH ALGORITHM FOR EMOTION LABS

Client Background

The Ukrainian startup Emotion Labs specializes in smart wearable technologies and devices for health tracking. They utilize statistics and reliable medical information to contribute to the new generation of smart trackers that can help to reduce stress in everyday life.

Business Challenge

The market offers a variety of smartwatches and trackers, yet they have limited

functionality that measures only physical activity and some major bodily changes, such as pulse. Emotion Labs asked V.I.Tech to create an algorithm that would allow them to turn a smartwatch into a personal health assistant capable of measuring blood pressure and stress level.

This smartwatch is a mass market product for everyday use, so it was necessary to eliminate the impact of external factors and user movements on the final results. The goal of the algorithm was to differentiate a typical rate from the rate influenced by noises based on the data. To ensure the accurate measurements, all possible noises and signal distractions had to be taken into account. This required a unique approach that combined expertise in statistics and a deep understanding of some basic medical concepts. In addition, the required algorithm had to be flexible and easily adjustable for future EMwatch modifications.

3 Perspectives on V.I.Tech

Solution Assessment for Clinical Research Company

“V.I.TECH continuously works to refine their breadth of technical expertise.”

Nov. - Dec. 2019

V.I.TECH conducted an end-to-end analysis of a digital platform and technology stack. They assessed the existing architecture, code, and data models from both the technical and business standpoints.

Austin Metro Area
CTO, Health Tech Company

V.I.TECH produced a valuable deliverable in the form of a final report highlighting the actionable outcomes and insights from their assessment. Their support has enhanced both the caliber and pace of the in-house team’s output. Intelligent and skilled, they add value through expert consultation.

I'm the CITO at a research institution. Our mission is to enable more patients and physicians to participate in clinical research. We partner with healthcare practices around the U.S. by contributing technology, tools, and study coordinators to help make research easy.

What challenge were you trying to address with V.I.TECH?

Our company is building a proprietary technology platform to support clinical research processes. We had already started the development process and reached out to V.I.TECH to assess our platform.

V.I.TECH provided a full assessment of our technology stacks. They analyzed all the code, architecture, and data models from both a technical and risk perspective. The main deliverable they produced was a final assessment report.

We had a high level of collaboration with them throughout the process. V.I.TECH shared updates regularly. At the end of the project, they formally presented the full findings and recommended solutions. We also worked together to implement some of the resolutions.

At first, we worked with a business development representative and the CTO to get all our ideas together and determine what we needed to do. Both of them were loosely involved throughout the process after we got started.

V.I.TECH assigned two senior engineer and architects to our project. We didn't have an official project manager because one wasn’t necessary.

How did you come to work with V.I.TECH?

An investor in our company referred us to V.I.TECH. One of their portfolio companies had used them in the past.

Specifically, the assessment cost about $20,000.

We started working together in November 2018. The engagement was estimated to take 4–6 weeks, and V.I.TECH finished within five. We also partnered with them to work on the resolution, which is still ongoing.

One of the decisions we made based on the assessment was to switch to a different development partner; our previous one had caused the problems that prompted this engagement.

V.I.TECH validated many of our concerns. Our partnership has been very successful. Our velocity and quality of work have improved since we've moved forward with V.I.TECH’s insight.

V.I.TECH was extremely helpful as we classified, categorized our goals for this year.  Prioritizing tasks made identifying tasks with the most significant risk and ROI much easier for my team and their resources who were supporting us. Knowing what to resolve first helped us get through our roadmap very fast.

How did V.I.TECH perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was one of the factors that impressed us the most about V.I.TECH.  Despite the time zone and cultural differences between our teams, we didn't experience any communication issues like timing or a language barrier. They have always been extremely responsive.

V.I.TECH has an impressive depth of knowledge and level of technical skill that differentiates them from comparable vendors we've used in the past. They're always able to find resources to answer our questions.

Secondly, they're an extremely bright team of fast learners who quickly caught onto what we wanted to accomplish from a business and technological perspective. The team's dual levels of understanding made their assessment even more valuable.

No, I don't have any recommendations for improvement. We couldn't think of anything when we conducted an internal survey, either.  V.I.TECH continuously works to refine their breadth of technical expertise.

The technique we used for our assessment might not work for every client, but it was a win-win for us. We both received a deliverable for our payment and V.I.TECH also showed us how quickly they learn and their specific technical capabilities so we could collaborate better. I enjoyed the approach of starting with a short project to make sure we were a good fit before jumping into a larger one.

Dev Partnership with Healthcare Platform

“They want us to succeed together.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Jan. 2008 – Ongoing

V.I.Tech started out by developing a demo for an analytics platform, which evolved into development of the full product. They helped to build the architecture using MySQL and Hadoop and implemented the system.

Atlanta Metro Area
Co-Founder, Patient Analytics Company

V.I.Tech delivered the platform with such success that it became the impetus for an ongoing relationship of over 10 years. Their speedy, agile, and collaborative project management helps support the emergent industry’s needs. The team’s expertise and personable teamwork make them a perfect partner.

I’m the chief solutions officer and a co-founder of a patient analytics platform for healthcare industry handling billions of medical records and providing data analysis to accelerate decision-making in the area of preventive medicine. Our company was created as a health management entity to sit between providers/health systems and the payers.

What challenge were you trying to address with V.I.Tech?

When my partner and I started the company, we needed to pitch a customer before we had the product, and we needed a demo. After we won the business, we needed them to help to build the system.

We first engaged with V.I.Tech to create a demo and walkthrough to help us sell the product. The demo product was a series of pages to click through.

That led to the development of our enterprise software platform using Hadoop, which sat on a big data cluster. All the frontend UI and apps were Java-based, using JBoss at the time. From a database structure standpoint, we were bifurcated into a clustered MySQL and Hadoop for the big data cluster. The BI or reporting side of it had dashboards created with a D3.js visualization library. In conjunction with our team of architects and developers, V.I.Tech built the entire architecture and implemented the system.

In total, the team built up to 80–90 people, but we didn’t start that high. We initially had a smaller team and a product manager working with our requirements people. We had QA on both sides. We had a Scrum master on their side working with a development manager on ours. We formed Scrum teams based on domain so we had an interfacing team, a QA team, a reporting/analytics team, etc.

How did you come to work with V.I.Tech?

They came highly recommended from a colleague in the industry. I chose them because of their domain expertise around data aggregation and healthcare.

Their development approach was also more collaborative than what I’d experienced in the past. From the beginning, they had a deep understanding of the problems, they asked the right questions, and collaborated with us on choosing different approaches. That was refreshing, and it ultimately led to a much higher-quality product, which hit the nail on the head.

We’ve spent between $1 million–$10 million over the past 10 years.

We started working with V.I.Tech in January 2008. Their experience on the demo was so great that it won us the business. We started a second engagement, and we’ve been working with them ever since.

We started in an emerging industry, and V.I.Tech’s agile development processes and speed allow us to keep up with customer requirements in an extremely fast-paced industry. We help define that industry as we build the product and make changes. I can’t imagine doing that with another development firm. V.I.Tech matches our speed and keeps deadlines, going way past their bedtimes. They want us to succeed together.

How did V.I.Tech perform from a project management standpoint?

We evolved into the agile process. V.I.Tech adjusted their team’s hours so we could have a daily stand-up and so we’d all be on the same page. I’ve traveled quarterly to Ukraine, and they send people to us, just to meet with our team and build a relationship.

Their team structure helps facilitate project management. They’ve been thoughtful about how we structured the US side, making sure product development was matched with a Scrum master and that we were disciplined in terms of stand-ups. What we put into it was what we got out of it, and that team structure and forethought helped. They don’t like having requirements slid under the door; they’d rather have conversations and collaborate, which improves our communication.

One of the best things about V.I.Tech is their thirst for the domain and their truly collaborative spirit. This is why we’ve been with them for over 10 years. They’re different culturally in the sense that they truly collaborate and they care about the work they do. They want to understand the why, not just the what.

Their backgrounds and discipline are unbelievable. Everyone has a PhD in math and computer science. Their talent pool is extremely rich, and their culture matches ours well. We enjoy going over there and spending a week together with them. It’s a warm relationship, rather than a transactional, sterile exchange of requirements.

V.I.Tech should keep growing its staff. They’re always working on being an attractive employer.

Spend the time to have the team understand the why of what you’re trying to achieve. This will unlock their potential. As the engagement grows, I highly recommend team bonding activities, either having the team come to you or vice versa.

I’ve never worked with a team that delivered a flawless rating in this area.
    We’re buying expertise in that specific domain, and we don’t want to use a low-quality provider.

Marketing Data Project for Software Company

“With an extensive background in working with a variety of customers, they’re prepared to work with sensitive data.”

Apr. 2016 - Sept. 2016

V.I. Tech led a marketing data project improves a software company’s ability to attract new users. They analyzed industry data to develop marketing algorithms that predict customer engagement.

Ukraine
Ivan Kuziv
Web Marketing Team Lead, MacPaw

V.I. Tech created effective data modules that consistently deliver predictive algorithms. Their research and development efforts have translated into increased sales and a quicker user acquisition process. An experienced team ensures a transparent and collaborative project.

I’m the web marketing team lead for MacPaw. We’re an independent development company that specializes in building Mac software using the latest OS X technologies.

What challenge were you trying to address with V.I. Tech?

Our main product and revenue driver was becoming dated, so we wanted to understand how to reach and convert new customers. The initiative required us to tweak our product so it could deliver more value and provide users with a personalized experience.

First, we collected a lot of non-personalized data on how customers and potential customers were using our product and website. The primary challenge was to build a model that could identify if a customer was likely to convert. Some customers accept new products at launch, while others wait until shortly after launch. There’s often a third group of users that eventually adopt a new platform months after it becomes an established entity within the marketplace. The stratified user-base made it difficult to gather reliable marketing data, but we managed to do it after multiple attempts.

We sent all that data to V.I. Tech and started working with one of their managers the following day. Our analyst team worked with theirs, so we understood each other perfectly from day one. That was a pleasant surprise.

For the first week or two, they analyzed our data and tried to apply some models to it. The idea was to find out what features could reliably convert trial users into paying customers. After a month of work, research, and reviewing the results of the models, they developed algorithms to show which features in the set were the most important. We had our own predictions about it, but they could prove their findings through the model mathematically. From there, we utilized all the knowledge we’ve gained about the market to make meaningful changes to our platform. It was a massive relief for the marketing team.

They assigned a product manager, a dedicated analyst, and two other resources that helped out as needed.

How did you come to work with V.I. Tech?

We met V.I. Tech at an annual IT conference and started chatting about what each of us did. They had different experiences than us, but I thought we could use that difference as a possible synergy. I figured that applying their knowledge to our field could be valuable. As a result, we decided to hire them.

We spent around $20,000 in total.

We worked with V.I. Tech from April–September 2016.

V.I. Tech’s work helped us determine if the business was feasible. Their analyst team started improving the algorithms and prediction model and eventually created a much better version. We now run prediction models with every new product launch. That approach allows us to predict audience variables with 89% accuracy. As a result, we’ve sped up our user acquisition process and can purchase efficient media ads.

We’ve also launched email campaigns specifically for the customer segments we identified as more inclined to buy. The marketing data enabled us to develop and launch different campaigns for the people who were undecided. By showing audiences the value of our product, we’ve increased conversion rates across the board.

How did V.I. Tech perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything was handled without delay from day one. They put together a team that communicates well, asks the right questions, and provides actionable solutions. There were no deadline issues, and the only miscommunications came from our side.

We can trust them. With an extensive background in working with a variety of customers, they’re prepared to work with sensitive data.

Understanding their client’s business from the onset will give them more chances to succeed.

No matter what the client wants, V.I. Tech can improve the time-to-market of the solution.