Custom Web App Design and Development Services

Since 2013, Vaporware has designed, developed, and delivered over 50 iterations across 20 web apps for a variety of entrepreneur and intrapreneur clients. With a focus on simple user experiences and maximizing returns, Vaporware helps clients define their product visions through a lean approach to deliver the right product to end users -- without wasting time or money.

• Vaporware, Inc.

Property Management Software Startup, Compliance Cloud Hosting Company, Contractor Marketplace Startup, Local Business and Nonprofit Relationship Manager Startup, On-Demand Photographer Startup, Security Learning Platform Startup, Custom Fabric Design Platform

Application Dev for Entertainment Company

"Vaporware has been very forthright regarding feedback for our work. They have very good insight, so they've helped us stay on track."

2016 - Ongoing

Vaporware built a custom web application using Ruby on Rails, giving the client the ability to integrate it with WordPress and create their own pages.

Founding Partner, Imurj LLC

The client is overall pleased with the collaboration and appreciated Vaporware's honesty, their communication skills and ability to always deliver. The team was very forthright regarding feedback for the work. UX design was cited as an area for improvement.

Imurj is a collaborative art and music space opening in Downtown Raleigh. Imurj develops, promotes, educates, and empowers artists and musicians. I am a founding partner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Vaporware?

We needed to build a custom web application serving as a member directory and event calendar. We also wanted to build an online radio where local members could upload songs and have them curated by others.

Vaporware built our application using Ruby on Rails, also giving us the ability to integrate it with WordPress and create our own pages. There were 2 developers assigned to our project.

How did you come to work with Vaporware?

I had been through several developers and was having a hard time getting a result. We had tried building the platform using PHP initially, but the work was going nowhere. I am a member of the same co-working space as Vaporware. We have set hours during which we can talk about tech issues. I attended one of those sessions with Vaporware's principal, who seemed to know his stuff. We needed help, so we connected with Vaporware and had them work on our site.

How much have you invested with Vaporware?

The cost of Vaporware's work has been between $50,000 and $100,000.

We started working with Vaporware 6 months ago, in 2016. The project is ongoing. There is always more to do.

We are reaching the end of the development phase, and are getting ready to launch the test version in a couple of weeks. We're happy with what we've seen so far.

How did Vaporware perform from a project management standpoint?

Vaporware's team is communicative. They're using Asana and Slack in order to organize themselves, provide accurate project timelines, and have been good about completing the work. Vaporware is also using a wireframing tool, through which we can see the work before the coding is done. We're happy with Vaporware.

What did you find most impressive about Vaporware?

I appreciate Vaporware's honesty. Even though we could be willing to spend $10,000 on a feature, if Vaporware's team doesn't believe that it will benefit us, they will let us know. Even though it would be money going into their pocket, Vaporware has been very forthright regarding feedback for our work. They have very good insight, so they've helped us stay on track.

Are there any areas Vaporware could improve?

When programming something new, there will always be little bugs popping up. Vaporware has been good about fixing them, and, even though they're not very good at UX [user experience] design, they never claimed to be. It could benefit Vaporware to have a UX division, rather than having us use a consultant.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Vaporware?

Vaporware's team are backend programmers, not designers or UX people, so it's important to find those resources available for a project.

Vaporware always delivered on what they said they would do, which is rare for programmers.
    I don't know if I've had the opportunity to recommend Vaporware yet, but I would if I could.

App Development for Property Management Startup

"We have been very pleased with our experience with Vaporware."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Vaporware assigned two developers to help revive and salvage the client’s backend code using Ruby on Rails. They also developed a front-end mobile web platform which complemented their iOS app.​

CEO, Servus

Vaporware provided a great experience through the collaboration and did a ‘tremendous’ job developing customer-driven requirements, prototypes, and improvements based on feedback to deliver a nice, user-centric, and iterative solution.

SERVUS is an enterprise apartment and property management software-as-a-service platform aimed at optimizing on-site maintenance operations. I am the chief executive officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Vaporware?

We were trying to salvage a previously poorly-written piece of Ruby on Rails software, as well as all the APIs necessary for supporting an iOS app. We are a startup, so we have outsourced our product development to Vaporware in order to get an early prototype to market.

Vaporware helped revive our code, salvaging what we had on the backend, and also developing a front-end mobile web platform which complemented our iOS app. Vaporware assigned 2 developers to our project.

How did you come to work with Vaporware?

I ran into Vaporware at an entrepreneurial networking event in Rollins, North Carolina. We had a good conversation, and I met with Vaporware a couple of more times to discuss our projects and philosophy around lean prototyping and software development. We got to know Vaporware, liked their approach, and saw that they had references indicative of a good pedigree. We quickly established a level of trust and have been able to work together well.

How much have you invested with Vaporware?

The cost of Vaporware's services has been between $50,000 and $75,000.

We started working with Vaporware in April 2015. The project is mostly completed, but we are discussing adding on certain features with Vaporware. They are engaged on a weekly basis for maintenance of the platform.

We've had a great experience with Vaporware, and felt that they challenged us to take the work that was being done, bounce it off of our customers, and come back to them. This way they would have a full cycle of development, user feedback, and product improvement. Vaporware did a tremendous job with this approach, helping make our early prototypes better, to the point of having a nice, iterative solution which hits the mark with customers.

How did Vaporware perform from a project management standpoint?

Vaporware performed well. We've had a great cadence with how we worked together on a weekly basis. We used Asana and Slack for everyday communication and project tracking. We had an efficient communication and prioritization system in place.

What did you find most impressive about Vaporware?

Vaporware has a lean approach, and the team challenged us to consider whether features were customer-driven requirements, or simply something that we would have liked to see built into the software. It was a unique approach on Vaporware's side. We felt that instead of coding everything we wanted, they would rather try and help us prioritize based on our customers' needs. This helped us save a lot of money and get a more customer-driven product to market.

Are there any areas Vaporware could improve?

Our first experience with another local development firm was very bad. We have been very pleased with our experience with Vaporware.

Overall Score We have a very close relationship, and view Vaporware as an ongoing resource and subject-matter expert. Even after hiring internal developers, we will likely retain Vaporware for periodic consulting and development work.
    Vaporware was responsive, always available and impeccable in making sure they communicated well.
    The cost could have been lower, but Vaporware provided a high level of value and expertise for what we paid.
    Vaporware was responsive, always available, and impeccable in making sure they communicated well.
    I give them a 5 for all the already-stated reasons,. I have recommended Vaporware a few times.

Web Application for Cybersecurity Educational Platform

"I think they are very good at taking my requirements and turning that into an MVP."

Apr. 2016- Jul. 2016

Vaporware developed a security training delivery platform’s web application using Ruby on Rails. The application provides video and learner tracking through the learning experience.​

CEO, Security Journey

Vaporware’s team maintained good communication using tools like Google Hangouts and did a very good job at understanding the requirements and turning that into the truly bare things that were needed to launch the MVP application.​

My company is Security Journey, and I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Vaporware?

The project that they worked on for us was to create our initial web application.

The web app is a security training delivery platform. It provides video and all the tracking for a learner that goes through the security learning experience. The primary technology was Ruby on Rails. There was one primary developer assigned and an architect.

How did you come to work with Vaporware?

I was looking for someone in the local geographical region from where I live. They are one of the companies that are local here in the Raleigh, North Carolina area. I began to look at the different options that were available as far as app development providers. That’s how I got to them.

How much have you invested with Vaporware?

I have invested between $10,000 and $50,000.

I started talking to them in March 2016. The project finished in July 2016.

Because it was an MVP [minimum viable product] style development effort, I don’t have any metrics per se. The goal of this project was to prove the concept that the security training platform was actually viable.

How did Vaporware perform from a project management standpoint?

I thought there were very good. The gentleman who was acting more as an architect was also the primary project manager, so they used Asana boards to track all the activities and things for which I had full visual. I could see into that. They included me inside of that environment so I could see what was happening on a day-to-day basis from the development process. Even though we were local, we did use Google Hangouts to do a weekly status update. They were able to provide the details about what was happening. We did some additional design through that process as well.

What did you most impressive about Vaporware?

I think they are very good at taking my requirements and turning that into an MVP. Because as you probably know, the idea of an MVP is not to overdevelop everything, it’s to boil down to the basics that you need to actually launch the application and try it. So they did a great job of understanding the requirements and then turning that into truly the bare things that I needed to launch the app.

Are there any areas Vaporware could improve?

I don’t have any areas of improvement for them at this point. There’s nothing that stood out to me that I would say I want them to get better at.

I think they are certainly very good at what they do and at understanding the technology. I was not a Rails expert during this development process, but yet they were still able to translate what they were trying to do. I didn’t have to understand Rails to work with them. I think they did a great job at communicating even though I’m not a developer, explaining to me well enough so that I could help make the decisions of how I wanted something to work without having to be an expert.