We guide founders from concept to growth.

Upright is a tight-knit collective of entrepreneurs who understand that the strength of an idea begins with its foundation. Ideas stand alone without a framework for success.

We specialize in building your company from the ground up. Services include:

• Business & financial modeling

New York, NY
  • 25 Broadway
    New York, NY 10004

Web Development for Social Services Startup

“I’ve worked with several different development companies and this one is by far the easiest to work with.”

July 2017 - Ongoing

Members of the Upright team have worked with a social services startup since before Upright’s inception as a company. They provide web support, design, modeling, and editing ahead of a new site launch.

Margarita Soto
Co-Founder, Kanduit

Though they are a new company, Upright maintains accountability, transparency, and easy accessibility. The project is still ongoing, but response is positive to other completed sites. Their diverse team responds positively to shifting needs and addresses questions respectfully.

I am co-founder of a social services startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with Upright?

We developed a website and needed to make some significant changes to it.

The project has migrated. When we first started with them we worked on development and took a deep dive into the business model. We reassessed everything and almost started over at square one. We settled on some best practices before starting design and follow-up work. We’ve since started prototyping to see how we want to change and shift. We’re partway through the process.

I’ve worked with everyone there. I primarily work with Danielle (Product Lead, Upright) but have worked with Paul (Financial Direction, Upright) on modeling, Jordan (Director of Business Development, Upright) on modeling, and Emma on copy editing issues. I believe all the members of their New York team share equity as co-founders. I have also worked with Mariusz (Operation Manager PL, Upright) & Witold on their Polish team.

How did you come to work with Upright?

I’ve known Danielle since before she started at Upright. She brought us in as an early client and I trust her judgement. I’ve worked with several different development companies and this one is by far the easiest to work with.

I’ve spent about $4,500 so far. I anticipate paying them more as we go into future sprints.

We started working together around July 2017 and the collaboration is ongoing.

We don’t have statistics or results for our project yet. I referred them to my husband’s company and they’ve already completed and launched their site. We’ve had strong feedback on the launch there.

How did Upright perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re strong. They’re a new company, however, and they did change the project management tools they were using. In spite of that, they’re accountable, transparent, and fairly easy to reach at any time. They don’t overcharge for their services.

It’s quite a diverse team with strong women entrepreneurs. I’m not a developer. In the past, I’ve been frustrated by the attitude and runaround of other shops. With them, I can be candid if I don’t understand something, without any risk of condescension. Sometimes I push back fairly aggressively on ideas and they respond in a good way. It’s a nice working relationship.

They’re a startup too. We’ve definitely shifted what we’re doing, but using them was a risk I was willing to take. I refer them frequently, especially to other female entrepreneurs.

Overall Score Any weaknesses matched what we expected from our budget and the time their team has worked together.
    They’re very accessible. Any deadline problems were due to mutual fault.
    They are very cost efficient and transparent.
    Some things aren’t as high quality because they are very sensitive to client pricing needs. They offer solutions that fit the budget.
    I have recommended them many times.