Your brand is your foundation...

we believe… your brand is your foundation; we specialize in building your brand with a creatively strategic approach.

we are a team of fashion/graphic & technical designers; we work with emerging and existing designers to cultivate a brand worth creating, talking about and sharing with the rest of the world. we have to admit, the rewards are much greater on this side… we get the benefits of working with some of the most talented designers in the world.

Los Angeles, CA

A Modern Mess

Times Hemp Company

Adam Saaks

Product Design and Maunfacture for Restaurant Group

"Our staff say they love the aprons and are proud to wear them."

2.0

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

U & I brand consulting/ development worked on the design, development, and manufacture of a line of branded aprons.

Toronto, Canada
Vice President, Restaurant Group

The ongoing development and manufacture of the aprons has produced good results thus far, creating products that receive compliments and represent the brand effectively. They worked smoothly with the team and managed the project efficiently.

I’m VP of a restaurant and bakery group with locations in Toronto and Los Angeles. We focus on traditional Italian food.

For what projects/services did your company hire U & I brand consulting/ development?

We were looking to develop a line of front of house aprons so we needed help with the development and manufacture.

To replace our generic aprons with fashionable, functional ones.

Through recommendations from past and current clients.

They worked on the design, development, and manufacturing of a line of aprons that became our signature aprons for multiple locations.

Shelia (Founder, U & I brand consulting/ development) worked directly and exclusively with me throughout the development. Her partner was responsible for the technical aspects of the design.

The project is ongoing—we have some aprons in circulation and others still in the design phase. Our staff say they love the aprons and are proud to wear them. Many of them have received compliments from our patrons too.

We worked one-on-one, which was very efficient.

Shelia's attention to detail, expertize, and excellent designs.

Nothing comes to mind.

Brand Consulting & Design for Apparel Studio

"The samples turned out much better than where I've gotten them done in the past."

Jan. 2018 - April 2018

U & I brand consulting designed and iterated clothing samples to be used as prototypes for production.

Lakeshia Bryant
Owner, Auralite

The samples that U & I brand consulting designed were well-received. Their team's responsiveness and ability to turn constructive feedback into implementable, on-time deliverables were hallmarks of their work.

I have my own clothing line, specializing in women's contemporary fashion.

What challenge were you trying to address with U & I brand consulting?

I used them for development of product samples for my brand.

I started by choosing one of their package options. I chose the three-style package but they have many different package levels that you can choose from. Once I chose my package, they set up a production calendar. They put all of the key dates of the project on the calendar so that I knew when I needed to have my fabrics or trim to them. It laid out the entire process so that I know what to expect and when to expect it.

Next, I brought them my sketches and designs. They first did flat sketches, and then created tech packages and patterns for my first prototype. It only took about two weeks from the initial design meeting to my receiving the first samples. I made my revisions and changes, and then they produced the next round of samples. I was happy with the second prototypes and didn't need any others made, but the package came with another round of revisions if I needed it.

I primarily worked with Sheila (owner, U & I brand consulting), who led product management and development. I also worked with a pattern maker, three sewers, and a few interns.

How did you come to work with U & I brand consulting?

I’d previously used another company that wasn’t a good fit. I have a background in technical design, so I shopped around for a new vendor. A friend referred me to U & I brand consulting.

I spent between $3,000–$5,000.

We worked together from January–April 2018.

The samples turned out much better than where I've gotten them done in the past. The prototypes looked great. I was able to use them to do photo shoots for my website and my Instagram channel.

They also provided really good turnaround time. I didn't have to do extra rounds to get what I wanted. I lost time working with other sewers because of their poor workmanship and quality. It was really exciting to not have to keep redoing prototypes and getting samples remade.

How did U & I brand consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team was great. I like to be involved and know what's going on, but I didn't have to micromanage the process. They were in control of what was going on. They were also very good about communication. I never had any worries or anxiety about their work. I had faith that the project would turn out well. Most of our communication was through email. We only met in person for the initial design consultation and the final fitting.

The customer service provided by Sheila was amazing. Other places, you may get resistance or a negative attitude if you want to make any changes. Sheila is easy to talk to and quite knowledgeable. It was important for me to work with someone who understands the fashion industry. It’s clear she knows what she’s talking about, and wants to help her clients.

They’re a small team. My line is small, so it wasn't an issue for me. However, I can see them growing in the future and I think they will need a bigger team.

Make sure you have a clear vision and direction of where you want to go with your designs. One thing that helped me enormously was to bring reference garments in addition to inspirational photos. They will do whatever they can to bring your ideas to life, but having a tangible item helps them understand your vision.

Overall Score It was a really positive experience.
    Their production schedule was great.
    I've spent more at other places and been less satisfied. Great value.