Customized, expertly crafted technology solutions

Silver
Thinkship is a digital business consulting firm that provides strategic consulting, product design and software development to help small and medium business solve complex challenges. With offices in Chicago and Wuhan, Thinkship specializes in building solutions that deliver results and drive growth. Learn more at thinkship.io.

Chicago, IL

Ecommerce systems
Application platform
CRM functions
CRM solutions

SNAP! Courier, Tie Accounting, SynoPay, Eatful, Cloud Realty, Pabius, Option Technology Solutions, Global Health Experts, MatrixEx, Sparrow One, G&U Orthopedic

Merchant Management System for Payment Solutions Firm

“They demonstrated patience, professionalism, and an exceptionally high level of creativity and communication.”

Thinkship built a merchant onboarding management system for a payment solutions company that links US merchants with Chinese consumers. Features included a merchant tracking system and a secure document portal.

Nicole Nietfeldt
Director of Onboarding, SynoPay, Inc.

The new system has streamlined workflow while meeting critical security requirements. Not only were all deadlines met, Thinkship’s work also demonstrated a strong understanding of company goals while creating a simple, user-friendly system.

I’m the director of onboarding for SynoPay. We’re a payment solutions company that helps connect US merchants with Chinese consumers for cross-border payments. I qualify and onboard US merchants who use our payment solutions.

For what projects/services did your company hire Thinkship?

We hired them to develop an internal merchant management system to improve workflow.

Our first goal was to develop a platform that would track the merchant onboarding process. We also needed to create a secure document portal, which could be used to upload, transmit, and store confidential information. Finally, we required a payout platform for calculating commissions based on complex transactions.

They were referred to us.

Thinkship built our merchant management system from the ground up. After an initial meeting to discuss our business needs, their project management team determined the full scope of the work, then defined the project requirements and goals. They split the first phase of the work into three sprints and completed a full version of the system. Now that it’s complete, we’ve been following the same process to create enhancements for it.

We primarily worked with our project manager, Arsheen, and with Thinkship’s head of engineering, but a UX designer and several developers also worked on the project.

The new system has helped streamline our workflow and eliminate manual processes. They’ve integrated external e-signature systems with our internal system, which has increased efficiency. They also built a secure document portal for transmitting and storing highly sensitive data, which was a critical requirement of our project. Not only is the system secure, but it’s also very simple and user-friendly.

We had weekly in-person meetings with Arsheen. Having that level of one-to-one communication really helped us ensure that the project delivered everything we needed. She took the time to understand our business and effectively conveyed all of that information to the development team. They held true to their original timeline with very few delays. We were always able to email their team with questions and they responded promptly. They communicated effectively with us and with each other throughout the project.

No. They did an outstanding job and exceeded our expectations. It’s been a pleasure working with them and we continue to be impressed with the quality of their work.

Web Dev & Design for Medical Equipment Company

“[They] created [the website] in a timely manner, and with the professional look that I wanted.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Thinkship developed a website for a medical equipment company in order to establish their online presence. The website showcases the company’s products and provides information for the potential customers.

La Grange, Illinois
Gustavo Urbina
Owner, G&U Orthopedic

The completed website is modern, user friendly, and sends the message to the potential consumer that the business was looking for. Throughout the project, the work was managed effectively by a single manager who communicated well, put together designs in an efficient manner, and responded quickly.

G&U Orthopedic is a medical equipment company. I’m the owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thinkship?

We needed to create a website to gain an online presence.

They developed my website. We needed to be able to display all the products that we sell. We wanted a clean and direct message with a modern design that looked professional and was easy to use. We summarized information so the user could identify the products that we’re trying to sell.

I worked solely with the project manager.

How did you come to work with Thinkship?

They were highly recommended by a friend of mine who also used them for their website.

$3,300.

We started working together in April 2017 and the work is ongoing.

They helped me develop the website, created it in a timely manner, and with the professional look that I wanted.

How did Thinkship perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management was great. The communication was very timely. They responded quickly; my questions were answered very fast. We used conference calls and an application to screen share on the computer.

They were efficient. They understood what I wanted and presented different designs for me to choose from. All of them were within the spectrum of what I was looking for. They did it in a timely manner and with a reasonable price compared to other companies I talked to.

No, I can’t think of anything. They provided great service. They did everything I expected.

I can’t think of anything.

Overall Score It was good.

Web & e-Commerce Dev for Global Health Group

"They were very good at comprehending our business needs and translating them into technology."

July 2016 - May 2017

Thinkship built a patient and doctor portal platform, including UI/UX design and frontend website development. They also implemented backend payment, search filter, and appointment features.

Marketing Manager, Global Health Group

Users and partners alike are satisfied with the platform, and it’s easily expandable for future modifications. They’ve made it their mission to deliver technological solutions that provide a competitive advantage. Their know-how inspires trust that vision will be achieved expertly and under budget.

We are a global cross-border medical platform. We help patients from Asia find the best doctors in the United States.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thinkship?

We needed help building our platform.

The system Thinkship built is quite sophisticated. In addition to our website frontend, we have a backend client and doctor portal. This enables us to manage appointments. Clients can also search doctors based on their expertise, language, and other criteria. The platform allows providers to accept credit card, ACH, and TransUnion payments.

There were 4–5 developers. Xu [Founder/CEO, Thinkship] handled technology infrastructure. One of his developers worked on the frontend design, and another developed the backend system. They also had a UI/UX [user interface/user experience] designer.

How did you come to work with Thinkship?

We looked at multiple companies. We received bids from Russia and India, but we didn’t feel comfortable with them. A friend referred Thinkship, and particularly Xu [Founder/CEO, Thinkship] to us. His company was small and a startup at that time.

$50,000.

We started working together June last year. Their part on the platform is finished, and we are just taking care of some business aspects on our end before we roll it out. We are no longer in frequent contact with them, but they’re more than happy to make small fixes for us. They feel like the technology department of our company.

We’ve shown the website to multiple users and partners. They’re very satisfied. From a business perspective, their price is more than fair, and the outcome was very good.

Xu had told me the system was extendable, and any tech person could keep building on what they’d created. We ended up hiring a tech guy recently and he confirmed this. He said he can continue working on the system without needing to make changes. That’s pretty awesome.

How did Thinkship perform from a project management standpoint?

They were awesome. They were always ahead of schedule.

They actively and proactively communicated with us. Sometimes we didn’t know what we wanted, but they did. They constantly give us advice about what kind of information and functionality to use. They’re very good at comprehending our business needs and translating them into technology.

We used Asana and Trello, as well as frequent conference calls. We communicated at least 3 times a week. Xu was on-call all the time, including times we needed to fix something in the middle of the night. He is very dedicated.

They’re positioning themselves as more than a development company. It’s part of their vision and mission to give their clients a technological advantage over their competitors.

Xu is a fantastic developer, and the other developers are also very good at what they do. The backend they developed was sophisticated, and we appreciated the fact that they had a UI/UX designer as well. They were very dedicated to our project and very responsible.

They’re always thinking from the client’s perspective and are very proactive. I was very confident in them. I didn’t have to worry about the technology side; I could leave it to Thinkship, knowing they would handle it. All I had to do was make sure my business is thriving.

They did a fantastic job, and I don’t think they did anything wrong. They were perfect. The only thing I would change is their size. They were quite small when we began, with under 10 employees. They’ve since grown. If I’d had a larger project, I don’t know if they would’ve had enough resources. I’m sure they’d make it work.

Do you have any advice for future clients of Thinkship?

I realized in talking to Xu that I needed to explain what I wanted to achieve, not how to do it. Future clients can be very confident he’ll find the best solution and under budget.

Overall Score Working with them was absolutely enjoyable.
    Everyone wants a low price, but I’m confident they were worth the money I spent. We compared at least 5 companies for the same project.
    I referred one of our clients.

Mobile Solution for Referral Management Platform

"They are very flexible and accommodating in the face of moving targets or surprise events."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Thinkship proposed development of a mobile-responsive solution for their client’s referral platform – They built a demo version, handled testing, and built new features as an ongoing partner.

Ben Miley
COO, Pabius

The product’s demo version wowed initial users and won customers instantly. They’re quite agile with last-minute requests. Their high technical aptitude gives them a refreshing grasp of challenging concepts, and their work ethic and integrity inspires trust.

Pabius creates a Referral Management Platform for insurance brokers called the Pabius Platform.  Steven Caban is our CEO and I am the President and COO.

The platform is a first-of-its-kind product that provides exclusive, one-to-one referrals for new business. The referrals come from an incentivized Partner Network that anyone can join. We are replacing the traditional lead vendor model where a customer’s information is sold to agents on lead lists, which is a bad experience for everyone.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thinkship?

My co-founder, Steven, and I both have a strong entrepreneurial mindset, so we’re constantly sustaining the vision. We’re good at taking stock of where we are, and knowing where we’re headed, and when needed we find help with how planning and strategy integrate with development to make sure the vision is realized. It’s a challenge for everyone, I think.

We needed full-stack developers to build a robust architecture for a web app that would be responsive for mobile browsers and other platforms, and could later on be brought to native mobile platforms like iOS and Android.

After lots of research and planning, we took several days to write a detailed project scope. I wrote an executive summary that outlined what I wanted the relationship to be, what the product should be, and what the takeaways would be.

The bulk of the project was a fully functioning platform, but we wanted things like annotative code in the unlikely case that someone else has to pick up where they left off. The scope included user-facing websites for logging in and managing information, and suggestions for permission architecture in platform.

Angular is a big part of the technology we’re using. We wanted to make sure we can port the software over to an iPhone or Android app. Software is really a service these days and it should be mobile-first and responsive to different screen sizes, platforms, operating systems, etc. We wanted something that was pretty snappy upfront as far as page loading time. In fact, our pages don’t reload often, the data just appears in the UI at the correct moment. Thinkship has pretty top-of-the-line hardware. They easily leverage a couple-hundred different technologies, including diverse API’s, AWS [Amazon Web Services], and QuickBooks for accounting to name a few.

In our initial scope of work I tried to build in a 10%–15% flexibility margin for changes because of our entrepreneurial nature. In some senses, the platform is still a work in progress, even though we’ve rolled it out. It can be difficult to strike a balance between a budget and the features. The goal is to make it fair for everyone involved and build great, long-lasting relationships.

I work with Xu [Founder and CEO, Thinkship] who leads his team to achieve his vision for the project. Even though I don’t live in Illinois, I visit their office when I am in Chicago. They have a great working environment.

How did you come to work with Thinkship?

Thinkship was referred to us about a year and half ago, but unfortunately, we tried another avenue first. We ended up going with a recommendation from a $6 billion company.

That software development provider was based in South Carolina and turned out to be an absolute nightmare. They kept promising that features would go live the next week, or the next, but it became clear that these were all excuses. We ended up making several payments to them, but they would never deliver the work. What they did deliver was very poor. We did some digging and discovered that their founder had a criminal record for financial fraud. We finally terminated the relationship.

We went back to the original recommendation for Thinkship, which took us from the worst experience imaginable to the best in less than a week.

We have invested six figures in the development of the platform with Thinkship.

We started working with them in January 2017, and the work is ongoing. The relationship is still evolving. In the future, I see us keeping them on retainer, with a flexible give-and-take relationship built on honesty, ethics, and loyalty.

We’ve rolled out the software, but it’s always in development. We’re on-boarding customers and continually testing, but it’s still early.

Our demos to potential customers are getting most of our signups. We had previously given demos with the original developers’ work and it got very poor feedback—it didn’t really work. A few insurance agents got a demo of both products in the span of a few weeks. They were blown away by the difference. One broker with a small agency in Chicago was truly amazed. He said, “This is so frigging cool!” We signed him up that day.

How did Thinkship perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re working to establish a relationship where they can take ownership of projects with almost an executive decision-making ability.

I’ve found that often when a leader has a big personality, there can be friction in a team. Subordinates can look for the leader to make a mistake and capitalize on it. Steven and I make mistakes all the time, but Thinkship is very understanding and they understand the customer relationship and how the system works.

It’s a mutual relationship. We don’t abuse what they extend to us and we try to extend as much or more in return. They provide an incredible value to us.

Xu is the key man at Thinkship. I’m excited for the day when I can put a check for $1,000,000 on his desk. Xu’s a great guy, and he hires good people. We most definitely want them to be successful. They have done such a good job for us; I can’t imagine anything but success for Xu and his team.

I’ve worked with a number of developers in China, India, and the States. What really struck me about Thinkship is their architecture expertise. They take care with every aspect of the build. It’s clear to me that the success and failure of SaaS comes down to its architecture.

We were also impressed with their response to a sizeable change we requested last-minute. During a meeting with an agency in Texas, we sold them an enterprise product. So we had to build one pretty quickly.

It was great how fast Thinkship picked that up and ran with it. They are very flexible and accommodating in the face of moving targets or surprise events.

I would give them full marks across the board. I can see their work activity and can tell that Xu’s really there, often on weekends too. It’s so refreshing talking to someone with such high aptitude. He really gets what I’m trying to say, even if my explanation is partial or I’m in a rush. There’s absolutely no passive aggressiveness. He’s got real visionary potential.

I’m almost torn about giving them a good review, because I want them all to myself. I don’t want them to get so busy that they don’t have time for me!

There are always areas to improve but there is nothing that needs improvement apparent to me at this time.

Do you have any advice for potential clients?

The key to any successful development project is to have a clearly defined scope of work. Giving a thoughtful and well-planned scope to a talented development team with integrity ensures major success on a project. It’s hard to resist the entrepreneurial tendency to improvise as you go, but a clearly-defined working relationship is important. The margin developers build in for unforeseen changes can be as high as 40%–50%.

Real Estate Web Application for Cloud Office Firm

“Thinkship built the site to include every detail that I designed in Photoshop; it’s pretty much pixel perfect.”

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Using Angular and Laravel, Thinkship built a WordPress website to display real estate listings, properties, and a blog. They handled UI/UX design, Salesforce integration, and hosting.

Steven Caban
CMO, Cloud Realty

The new website matched mockups almost perfectly and boosted conversion rates by 3 percent. Thinkship impressed with their dedication, accessibility, and affordability. Their sensible resource allocation and enthusiasm for the project made them a valuable partner.

Cloud Realty is a real estate brokerage in Chicago. We do most of our business online. We have a searchable website of all MLS listings. We’ve been building a new style of real estate website where people can create an account, write their own offers, and have a central repository for all of the documents that they need. The site includes a cost calculator and other analysis tools.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thinkship?

We wanted to build a good real estate website. A lot of the existing turnkey solutions weren’t scalable enough. We knew we wanted to create our own database, website, and backend and integrate with our own CRM.

The first phase of the website had five elements. We needed a strong homepage, a real estate search filter page, a listings page, and a property details page. I created mock-ups in Photoshop of how I envisioned the design and asked them to build it. They provided input on the UX, registration forms, activation, etc. They used HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build it. For the frontend, they used Angular and for the backend, they used Laravel database.

They integrated my old WordPress website so I have one side of the website where I can create my own pages and blog posts. They also integrated the website with the CRM, which is Salesforce, and the marketing automation platform, Pardot. They also host the site on their own server so I don’t have to pay Amazon Web Services fees, which is nice.

We spent around $35,000.

We started working together a little over a year ago.

Thinkship built the site to include every detail that I designed in Photoshop; it’s pretty much pixel perfect. We’re happy with the product so far. The former website took too long to load, causing low conversion rates. I was aiming for a 5% conversion rate and we’re consistently getting an 8% conversion rate. That makes it a success.

How did Thinkship perform from a project management standpoint?

My two contacts are Ryan [COO, Thinkship] and Xu [Founder, Thinkship], who I interact with most. Ryan has experience building real estate websites and worked at fsbo.com. Xu is easy to talk to and always available. They have a team of developers in Chicago and China.

We used Trello to keep tabs on what’s going on, find bugs, create new requests, and stay organized. The mobile app is convenient to use and add ideas remotely.

Communications range from daily to weekly; we work in sprints.

They’re a young, growing company. As with any startup, they’re willing to work hard at a reasonable price because they’re trying to build up their portfolio. Sometimes they work around the clock if there’s something urgent that needs to be developed. It’s a good opportunity to work with some very talented people and get good value for your money. They understand the resources required to have a well-performing website that’s fast and can handle many simultaneous users. Thinkship has the resources and skill set to build an enterprise-level site from scratch at a reasonable price.

I’m a marketing person and do a lot of visual design. We have good chemistry because I do most of the design work. However, some people are not going to have that skill so they may need to find their own designer as Thinkship doesn’t have designers on board.

I would give them a six if I could.

Silver