From concept to code

In addition to being the "hired guns"​ who take an idea from concept to code, we help organizations integrate tools they already use (avoiding vendor lock-in and reducing costs), debug code written by others, modernize infrastructure by migrating to cloud services, and reduce time wasted in all phases of the development process. Let's chat? 518-466-4439.

As a company, we firmly believe in the ideas set forth in The Lean Startup (Eric Ries), Remote (David Heinemeier Hansson) and The Art of the Start (Guy Kawasaki), and are well versed in the themes in successful startups from books such as Founders at Work (Jessica Livingston). We wish to emphasize that software is a means to an end, and its function should be clear in the context of your business.

Tenex Developers is a US-based consulting firm focused on building compelling software solutions. While other firms constrain themselves to a small set of platforms, we believe in choosing the right tool for the job. We develop in a wide array of languages and frameworks, though some of our favorites are Ruby on Rails, Elixir, Angular, Python and Vue.

We would love to chat about your next project!

Medford, MA
  • 54 Lawrence St
    Medford, MA 02155
  • Albany, NY

Ruby on Rails Cloud Based EMR & Workflow Dev

"They met all expectations and then some, and were extremely easy to work with."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Tenex Developers constructed a cloud based, HIPAA compliant, Ruby on Rails EMR site, as well as an invoicing and auditing system for a government examination company.

Portland, Maine
Fred Fridman
CEO, ConsultExam.com

The end product has proven to be extremely effective and has significantly improved workflow. Tenex is communicative, prompt, and on budget, and shows great patience with those who may not be so familiar with IT.

The name of the company is Consults Exam.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tenex Developers?

I was looking to create a workflow-like site that would be cloud based and HIPAA compliant for specialized federal and state government examinations. I had originally envisioned this to use for myself, because I provide these services. I needed something that would automate the workflow and provide an electronic medical record.

There were some developers from India that I’d found on Upwork who attempted to design the site using PHP. When I had folks review what they’d made, it was the opposite of HIPAA compliant. There was no flexibility within the software, and it needed to be redone from the ground up.

Tenex joined the project and redid the entire site on Ruby on Rails. The only thing that was in place was a general design, so they pretty much started from scratch. Even then, the majority of that was reworked by them. One goal for the project was making sure the site was HIPAA compliant, and the second was to have an extremely speedy site that was reliable and cloud based. We had some other goals as well, like being able to scale and add features that would allow me to have a vast amount of billable users, which required an auditing and invoicing system. Tenex met those goals, and also currently helps with site design and optimization, which doesn’t have many features since it’s simply a workflow site.

My primary contact was Josh. I’m not sure how many other people were on the project.

How did you come to work with Tenex Developers?

I had used some other developers that didn’t work out, and eventually found Tenex on LinkedIn. I sent a proposal to six or seven companies, gave them a brief overview of the project and had them look at the site after speaking with them. Based off of reviews on LinkedIn and my interaction with Josh, I chose Tenex. He understood the vision and gave me a clear plan of what we needed to do to get there.

We started working with them in October 2016, and the relationship is ongoing.

I don’t have the resources to launch the business, but I use the product personally and it’s extremely effective. I created it to significantly improve the workflow for the work I do, and it’s fantastic. I can’t imagine not using it because it’s been game changing. It’s significantly decreased the amount of administrative work I do, which has freed me up to pursue other projects. It’s made it easier for my staff, and I have significantly less mistakes because of it as well.

How did Tenex Developers perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. I communicated with Josh a few times a week during active development using emails and phone calls. They communicated well, and everything was delivered on time and on budget.

What did you find most impressive about Tenex Developers?

They were able to communicate to me what they planned to do and managed my expectations. Josh is an excellent teacher for someone like me who’s a novice with IT. He was extremely patient, and was able to explain the process fairly well to me throughout our time working together.

Are there any areas Tenex Developers could improve?

No, the experience was phenomenal.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Tenex Developers?

I would recommend they spend time thinking about their own vision and exactly what they want out of their project. When it’s time to present the project, ask questions because Tenex doesn’t waste any time.

Overall Score They’ve been great to work with. It’s been an absolute pleasure. They’re very professional and I have a product I can use.
    They met all deadlines that they set and gave me reasonable timing.
    I don’t have anything to compare them to. They weren’t the cheapest available, but out of every other developer, they were the easiest to work with and they did what they said they would do. I thought it was excellent value.
    It was exactly what I had hoped for. They met all expectations and then some, and were extremely easy to work with.
    I already have.

Software Dev for Data Aggregate

"Tenex is really focused on asking questions and making sure you know what you want."

Jun. - Nov. 2016

Tenex Developers created an adaptable system for transforming data into an easily digestible layout involving PDF extraction in different formats. The team remains involved in other endeavors.

Founder, TruPrecisely

The success and revenue generated by the solution can be largely attributed to Tenex Developers. The team is very professional and honestly invested in client success rather than in making money, delivering well-defined solutions at a good price while providing valuable suggestions and feedback.

My current company is Paragon Intel. I’m the co-CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tenex Developers?

I used Tenex before for different businesses. The most significant one was a business that I started called TruPrecisely. The business model of TruPrecisely was to get public data that is generally in a horrible format and found within the government domain and then sell that to financial companies. I identified the data but I couldn’t access it easily, so I hired Tenex to find ways to get the data out of the government system and provide it to our clients easily. This was a Data-as-a-Service project; I used Tenex to get the data off of other web-based applications.

I am not a developer but I’ve worked with Tenex Developers for such a long time that I trust what they do. I usually give them a problem that only a full-stack architect can solve, and then they walk me through how they would solve the problem; I generally greenlight the project and they go for it. I don’t know what technology was used. They know different languages and focus on the right tools for the job. I’m working with them in weekly sprints. After a while, you get the cadence for things. Frankly, the level of trust we have with them built up to the point where the weekly check-ins were not necessary because we would be in more frequent communication aside from the formal retros and sprint set-up meetings.

The public data was saved in PDFs that were not normalized, and there were about 10,000 PDFs. Each PDF file was between 20 pages and a couple hundred pages. I needed to get the data out of every single PDF into an Excel file so I can do interesting things with it. That was a big pain point. I was able to identify one data source and show them how to jump from one PDF to the next PDF. After that, they were on their own to keep it up to date. On a quarterly basis, the structures might change, so I needed them to develop a system that was automatic enough to do that as well and to catch things that might be going wrong with the code. In addition to a new PDF file that’s uploaded or an older one which was taken down, the structure of the data itself might change so the requirement was that it needed to be adaptable for that.

How did you come to work with Tenex Developers?

I knew the CEO of Tenex for a while before I started doing business with them. I encouraged him to start his own company, and when he did, I was happy to use his services.

How much have you invested with Tenex Developers?

I would say that I invested a good amount and I think it’s worth the value, but I don’t feel comfortable telling people how much I gave them.

We started in June 2016, and the project was completed in November 2016. We would hash out certain ideas and I might go and try to build some stuff myself and go to them when I had a deeper problem. While they may not have been contracted for the whole entire time, they were certainly well aware of what was going on. There’s more than one sprint that they were getting processed for.

All the revenue I have generated from TruPrecisely would have been very difficult for me to achieve without Tenex Developers, and it’s a decent amount of revenue. I had a problem that was well scoped out. I gave it to them and I didn’t have to worry about it getting done. They were able to accomplish it. I don’t have exact metrics on that but it was a task that they completed very professionally. I’ve worked with them on other projects because of the success of this first project.

How did Tenex Developers perform from a project management standpoint?

Tenex is unique in comparison to some of the other consulting firms I’ve worked with. If they can find an efficient solution for a client’s pain point, even if it makes them less money, they make the recommendation. They’re interested in the client’s success as well as their own. There are other companies that are much bigger and much more well-known, that are much more expensive. I feel like Tenex had more of my interests in mind. Anyone can spend $100,000 or $500,000 dollars on an application, but Tenex is really focused on asking questions and making sure you know what you want. They gave suggestions to make things easier and faster. I trusted them to provide me that feedback and also to be aggressive with me and tell me when I was when I was not getting them what they needed.

They have a detailed process. I would email them about a problem and they would schedule a call with me. We may have to do that two more times to make sure everyone is understanding the problem and what the solution is going to be. They come back with a proposal that I sign off on and then execute the solution usually within the next week. After that, I checked in regularly to see the progress.

What did you find most impressive about Tenex Developers?

Working with both guys at Tenex, it’s pretty easy to not worry that much. If you have a well-defined problem, you get a well-defined solution for that problem. You really don’t have to worry about whether it can be executed. I’ve done a lot of work with them in the past, not just in our fields but with this weird quasi-intelligence community stuff too. If it’s possible to do, they can do it, and they can do it very professionally and usually at a decent price.

Are there any areas Tenex Developers could improve?

I think they’re busy. As a friend, I have encouraged them to turn away more business to focus on the higher level businesses and not the small little things.

You stay in touch with them even when you’re not working because there’s a lot of dividends to be paid even outside of the professional contract. I’m found the relationship very professional.

Overall Score I’m trying to get them more involved in the work I’m doing.
    I had no problem with scheduling.
    I’ve priced the work and it’s generally priced competitively compared to other people.
    Every single time I’ve given them something, they’ve delivered.
    I would absolutely refer them.

Software Dev for Utility Company

"You don’t really expect somebody to be good, fast, and cost-effective; they do all three."

Jan. - Aug. 2016

Tenex Developers extracted and converged disparate data streams, synchronizing complex processes across multiple systems into a cohesive software solution.

Boston, Massachusetts
Employee, Utility Comparison Company

Through Tenex Developers’ elegant engineering, the new system allowed the internal team to identify bottlenecks and reinvent inefficient data processes. Their reliability, scalable workflow, and innovative suggestions encouraged a productive collaboration.

I was the CMO of a utility comparison company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tenex Developers?

We had multiple data synchronization challenges and needed to build data repositories and business intelligence systems to answer important business questions that we couldn’t yet because we had too many different systems.

It was designed to answer questions about user behavior for advertising and user-experience optimization purposes. We had exact target integrations that needed to be done. There was definitely segmentation involved. Tenex Developers worked on several data pipelines that brought disparate data streams together. So, first of all, they were learning data. Then, they were figuring out how to extract the data and bring disparate sources together so that data were synchronized across systems. Finally, they were building processes so the data could be synchronized reliably. On top of that, they were working on the business intelligence and reporting pieces.

We were using several different database technologies that were all SQL-based like Domo, Redshift, SalesForce, and Localytics for data warehouse and business intelligence services.

How did you come to work with Tenex Developers?

There wasn’t an RFP. We had internal developers, but we needed help in scaling our development efforts and using resources that couldn’t do this elsewhere. We found them through a friend, a super great engineer who I was working with at the time. He knew Tenex Developers and said we should work with them because they have extra capacity. They were working on some operational app-level stuff with us, too, and I had a need. We got introduced to Tenex Developers and hit it off right away.

The founder calls himself a “no bulls**t software developer,” and basically he is. He’s really good at understanding what your requirements are, listening first, and then giving you good-quality solutions. He gives you options, lets you know how long it’ll take, and puts his money where his mouth is. That’s the most important thing: he can tell you how long it’s going to take to get done. He can tell if you’re going down a good path or a bad path. He won’t let you go down a bad path unless you insist (then, it’s on you at that point). I think they’re good partners as well as hardcore developers.

How much have you invested with Tenex Developers?

I believe it was between $50,000 and $100,000. When I invested in them, I invested again when the time was up. I was happy enough with what they did to give them additional work.

I worked with them on and off between January and August of 2016.

It’s hard to say that all the work that we did on the data warehouse could be attributed to Tenex Developers. But, before we did this project and before they started on this work, we didn’t have any truth for our data. This project allowed us to have a system of record that we could go to for user behavior and flow through the app. That allowed us to identify several problems like bottlenecks with the app that we were able to streamline to reinvent those processes. That’s what we wanted, and that’s what we got. We were doing some things we hadn’t tried before, and they were able to pick up the ball and run with it. At the end of the day, they were pretty solid with documentation and building processes so that people could take over. You don’t always get that.

How did Tenex Developers perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re stellar. They’re phenomenal on project management. They listen and provide you not only with team resources but also smart people with ideas. That’s pretty awesome. If things go in a manner that is unexpected, they bring it to the table quickly and let you know this isn’t exactly what we talked about due to a data issue. Usually, it’s a data issue that they didn’t know about because we didn’t know about it. They’ll give you several options to fix it and let you know how that affects the scope. Largely, they were pretty good about doing things on time and within budget. If they weren’t going to be able to do it on time and within budget, they bring you back to the table in time to allow you to make decisions.

What did you find most impressive about Tenex Developers?

If you’re like, “Good, fast, cheap—pick two,” they can often give you all three, which is strange. You don’t really expect somebody to be good, fast, and cost-effective; they do all three. Their skill is top-notch. Many times, when you talk to developers or designers, they promise a lot. Tenex Developers promise and deliver a lot. If they promise they can do it, they’ll do it. That’s pretty awesome.

Are there any areas Tenex could improve?

I have lunch with their founder often, and he asks me for that sort of stuff, so I always give it. For them, it’s growing responsibly and getting more people who are as good about culture and can be a part of essentially a technical SWAT team for the business. They’re special. It was really good to have something like that fall on our plate when needed because I didn’t expect it.

Don’t use them for stupid stuff. Use them for things that require technical horsepower where you need a problem to be solved elegantly. Pay them what they’re worth. They are top-notch pros. In this market, where it’s really hard to get good engineers, you could augment your good engineers with more good engineers who will do things the way that you want.

If you have a process that you work in or want to make sure that code gets documented, they do that. Often, when you get additional help, it’s not always the same caliber that you’re used to. These guys don’t cut corners. Let them know how you want things. If they have ideas for how you could do things better, listen to those ideas because they’re smart. They’re good dudes.

Overall Score It was really great. They’re top-notch consultants. The hardest thing with them is to say goodbye when you’re done. The only way we’d have a better experience would be getting them on the team for perpetuity.
    Whenever there’s a variable we didn’t consider, they were thoughtful about going back to the table and figuring out how to rejigger the schedule. They’re just top-class in making sure they get things done.
    It’s good to get money in there, and you’re going to get value out. They’re good and going to save you time. They’re going to give you high-quality code that’s not leaky.
    I couldn’t have been happier with the stuff they gave me, the way that they allowed me to scale, the way that they made sure I knew what I needed, and their general reliability.
    I recommend them for good code within a process, code that needs to live, or code that other developers are going to like. For a prototype or some throwaway code, you don’t need them. Let them do something that’s going to shake the world.

Custom Software Dev for Forensic Solutions Firm

"Tenex delivered a great solution quickly."

July - Aug. 2017

Tenex Developers repaired and re-implemented a bug-filled firmware component in a forensic hardware device, optimizing resource usage and reverse-engineering proprietary formats before an urgent deadline.

Ottawa, Canada
CEO & Founder, Forensic Solutions Company

The improved solution performed reliably, and all deliverables integrated seamlessly with the existing tool. Tenex Developers’ responsiveness, self-directed workflow, and rapid turnaround time helped make the partnership successful.

I’m the CEO and founder of a business that creates hardware and firmware for use by military, intelligence, and law-enforcement agencies. We offer a highly specialized tool that deals with digital forensics.

After being introduced to Tenex through a colleague, we hired them to re-implement a problematic firmware component in a hardware device. This task was both urgent and challenging, so we needed assistance to finish it quickly and correctly.

Within a week, the component was finished. In addition to resolving many bugs in the old version, Tenex also eliminated a large software dependency.

Since I was impressed by Tenex’s initial deliverables, we gave them additional requirements and sample data. In less than 3 weeks, they provided a working solution. The project spanned several skill sets, from reverse engineering of a proprietary binary file format to optimizing resource usage for embedded devices. We were able to work with a single engineer at Tenex, who handled all of these aspects.

Tenex delivered a great solution quickly, and the code quality was excellent. They required minimal direction, were responsive, and had no issues with changing the code as our requirements evolved. We easily integrated the solution into our product, which made deployment simple.

Throughout the project, Tenex stood out to me because of their sense of urgency and unusual depth and breadth of skills.

Overall Score They're outstanding.
    Everything finished on time.
    They're very affordable.
    They met or exceeded every requirement.
    I'd be happy to refer them.