Connecting IT with Success

TEKConn specializes in providing business-focused IT consulting and IT support solutions for small to mid-sized organizations in the New York Tri-State Area. It's mission is to empower clients to be successful, by leveraging technology in order to help achieve their business goals.  TEKConn, has been named to the MSPmentor 200 and Inc. 5000 lists in the past three years.

"TEKConn's focus is on helping our clients succeed and achieve their goals by leveraging their investment in technology. Our commitment to them is to provide unrivaled customer service, to keep their people productive and their businesses ahead of the competition," said TEKConn Vice President Stephen Dike.

Across many industries, we are our clients' trusted, outsourced IT department.

2004
    New York, NY
    • 237 West 35th Street, Suite 701
      New York, NY 10001
    • 243 Tresser Boulevard, 17th Floor
      Stamford, CT 06901

We have a great niche in community healthcare, a strong presence in the New York financial world, and several clients in marketing / PR, non-profit, and professional services.

IT Managed Services for Staffing Firm

"I haven't lost a day's work due to problems that they can impact."

TEKConn manages the internal network of a staffing and management firm, including network stability and security. The work included initial assessment of the network and fixing configuration problems.

1- 10 Employees

CEO, Staffing Company

TEKConn is very responsive to issues and has ensured that the network is continuously monitored. The team is competent and professional, and has fixed problems that other companies created or were unable to solve.

We live in the space between staffing and management consulting. Investment banks, program managers, product managers, management consulting firms hire us when they have an implementation that exceeds their ability. I provide them with business analysts and project managers on a contract basis.

I am the CEO.

What was your goal for working with TEKConn?

We have been working on getting rid of most of our technology. They've been very helpful in setting up tools. It's mostly tools around that.

They manage my internal network – PCs, network, and network security.

What was your process for selecting TEKConn?

All of the companies in this space are terrible. My expectations were low because of past bad experiences. My criterion was someone who stunk less than the guy I had before. I think we just asked people in our network and looked online. I gave the task to someone else on my team to find a service.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

We have eight employees, and we have more than double that amount of PCs. The cost is confidential.

When was the work completed?

We started with them after Hurricane Sandy [2012]. That's when the other service got unmanageable.

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

The bottom line is that everything works.

Yes. Definitely.

What differentiates TEKConn from other partners?

The problems that we were having – there were configurations with our network where there would be problems that we would discover when we would come in on Monday morning to find out that our network would be down and no one knew about it. We'd have to get our MSP [managed services provider] team in the office.

That never happens with TEKConn. I get a call in the morning saying there's a problem and, at the worse, they have someone in at 8 a.m. fixing it. I haven't lost a day's work due to problems that they can impact.

Their people are competent and professional. When I personally call with a problem with my PC, they fix it. They're straight about it. I look at the bill and think why am I paying all this money. We don't have any problems with TEKConn. That is because they're doing their job.

What advice would you give to future clients of theirs?

I've worked with four companies, and I'm continually surprised at how good they are. My standards were not very high.

I bug my vendors to death. I want what they're providing and more for a lot less money. I'm looking forward to seeing how they improve.

IT Managed Services for Arts Nonprofit Organization

"I've been satisfied. I can't think of a time that we reached out to TEKConn with a problem that they couldn't solve."

TEKConn provides IT support for a non-profit, including software updates and server management. Most of the work is remote but has annual meetings in this 4-year long relationship.

Director of Finance, Arts Nonprofit Organization

TEKConn has built trust with a flat rate and well-maintained system management. The team has solved every problem that has been sent to them and has a great help desk that is always available to answer questions and respond to issues.

We're a public charity with a 501(c)3 status that supports artists and the emerging arts organization with a variety of programs providing resources to funding opportunities, administering grants, and fiscal sponsorship.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the director of finance

What was your goal for working with TEKConn?

It was for information technology support.

We have 25 full-time employees and three to four part-time employees. There's 30 workstations. Anytime we have issues with our PCs, TEKConn is who we go to. Usually they troubleshoot our problems remotely. Sometimes, they need to send people here to look at the issue. They keep our workstations and PCs in healthy status.

They also provide service to our servers. We have four servers in the office. On an annual basis, I sit down with one of the presidents there. I work directly with Steven Dyke. He gives me a consultation on the equipment. With our financial management system, we use a Blackboard product called Financial Edge. From time to time, they send up patches to update our system. TEKConn helps us with that.

What was your process for selecting TEKConn?

I've been with this organization a little past five years. After the first year, I realized we needed a different IT group. We put out an ad on our website. There were three or four bids we received. I liked their model of a flat monthly fee based on the amount of workstations.

The incentive is on them to keep our PCs working. From their perspective, if it's a flat fee, you don't want to be called 100 times a month. If that was the case, they're there for you. So, the incentive is for TEKConn to keep the PCs working appropriately.

It was from $30,000 to $40,000

When was the work completed?

It's ongoing. We've been with them four years [since 2011].

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

No, but our systems have been running smoothly. We haven't had any long instances of employee downtime.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

I've been satisfied. I can't think of a time that we reached out to TEKConn with a problem that they couldn't solve. There may have been times it took longer to solve, but there was never a time they couldn't find a solution. We have some old machines, and they were still able to keep them running until we replaced them.

What differentiates TEKConn from other partners?

They have a good help desk. They're always responsive. Most times, they try to work with you on the spot. If it's a more complicated issue, then they have to get back to you. Whenever we've had to deal with a third party, they've been willing to be on the call and help us along. It's comforting to know that you have someone there. I'm not a technology guy.

What advice would you give to future clients of theirs?

I've been satisfied, so it's hard to say be careful about anything. Keep the communication going on a more regular basis. You don't want to be caught by surprise. I've had a positive experience.

Rather than doing an annual meeting, it would be helpful to do twice a year. Then, there would not be budget surprises later on. That's partially my fault.

I've never really had them delay anything.
      I haven't done an evaluation in a while. I can't say there's someone out there that could do the same quality of work cheaper.

IT Managed Services for Accounting Firm

"TEKConn has a wide range of staff in diverse areas of technology."

TEKConn provides office IT and security management for a local accounting firm on an ongoing basis.

Office Manager, Accounting Firm

TEKConn has a wide expertise, meaning that they always have someone available to answer any question that comes up. The team demonstrates constant growth and development, so the service delivered and recommendations given are always getting better.

We are an accounting firm.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the office manager.

What was your goal for working with TEKConn?

The company we used before was not local, and we prefer to have someone local that could come in to do hands on work when necessary to improve our network and computers.

We needed someone capable of managing our IT [information technology] needs and security issues.

What was your process for selecting TEKConn?

Someone we worked with previously had worked with them. He came in and met with us.

It was from $10,000 to $50,000

When was the work completed?

We've been with them four or five years.

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

We have had few instances of technical problems or employee downtime because they have a strong record.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

Yes. We stick with them because we are completely satisfied.

What differentiates TEKConn from other partners?

They're responsive. TEKConn has a wide range of staff in diverse areas of technology. Typically, if we have a question about anything they will have someone on staff who can support our inquiry. It could be an operating system, equipment, or software.

They always seem to have someone available that can answer questions and give us recommendations. The company is growing. Their staff is not stagnant. They grow and change positions based on their current knowledge base. There's always growth within the company.

What advice would you give to future clients of theirs?

Listen to them. Take their suggestions to heart. As long as they have a clear understanding of what your needs are, they're very adept at being able to come up with a plan that will suit your needs.

No. They're very close to our office, so the turnaround and response time is always very good. If there's an issue with anything it's addressed immediately and taken care of. If something slips through the cracks, they respond quickly. That hasn't happened very often.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of the cost of a piece of hardware might have changed. Nothing they spike up the cost on. Even with projects, you can negotiate with them.