YOUR IDEA, OUR TEAM, A NEW PRODUCT IN 90 DAYS

TechSparq helps Fortune 500 companies maximize their revenues and build customer loyalty by ensuring their platforms are highly secure, protected against damaging BOT attacks and doesn't fail under peak loads.

Our software development team has worked with companies large and small, across a wide range of industries. Our work samples include mobile applications, custom software, e-commerce development, and custom application modernization.

At TechSparq we help you save money, improve customer interaction, and recognize ROI sooner.

2007

2. Raymond James Financial
  3. AIG
  4. eBay

Dev of B2B ordering System for Multinational Co

"They’re super motivated and easily assimilate into the environment they’re working in."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

2006 - 2012

TechSparq developed a global sales website on PHP that manages claims, returns, order management, and POS. The team also collaborated to rewrite infrastructure software to support a new technology.

USA
Expert Project Manager, Global Consumer Goods Copmany

TechSparq delivered several million-dollar projects on time and within budget. They often accomplished duties above and beyond the original scope by finding efficient ways to implement solutions. Their boutique-style approach allowed them to integrate seamlessly and quickly escalate as needed.

I am the Program Director responsible for managing complex, cross functional Global programs and projects at a global consumer good company.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechSparq?

We hired TechSparq to work on new capabilities in our $14-billion e-commerce platform. They were able to bring in more resources and expertise to help us bridge  gaps we had in skill sets.

The platform is on PHP and they helped us rewrite foundational infrastructure software in support of  new technology that we were rolling out. We were implementing brand new technology for our B2B partners. The platform is our global sales website where our partners have access to all of our products. It also manages claims and returns along with order management, POS, etc. All the integration across the entire landscape of our company downstream used SAP.  We redid the software in a technology called JBoss. TechSparq was very instrumental in rewriting all of the additional projects for our capabilities.

They’ve worked on the project separately from our team, but with oversight. They’ve also worked with our application engineers, data architects, and portfolio management teams on creating new capabilities,  solution designs, and aligning with stakeholders on our functional requirements.

On the isolated project, they had their own project manager, Dedrick [Co-founder and Principal]. He interfaced with me as well as the rest of the management team in global sales. They had other team members that reported with various project managers at the organization. TechSparq's developers had deliverables and accountability similar to our own full-time resources.

How did you come to work with TechSparq?

I’m very familiar with Dedrick and his team and the work they do. I found them originally when I was asked by a colleague to participate in a survey to provide feedback about service offerings and performance.

We spent between $500,000 and $1M per year.

We’ve worked with them from 2006 to 2012.

TechSparq delivered  several million-dollar projects on time and budget. They went above and beyond and did more scope than we originally outlined in the contract because they were able to find efficient ways to help us implement the solution. We got a greater value from them than we had originally planned.

How did TechSparq perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very interactive and we had great communication. They gave us timely updates on issues and escalated quickly where needed.

They have a boutique style. They’re not a big vendor like we sometimes use. I think that lends itself nicely to be able to integrate within company cultures. They could hit the ground running and could bring people up to speed a lot easier because they have people that have worked in this environment before. We leverage tons of consulting companies. A lot of times they’re not competitive with pricing and we end up paying more than what we would pay a company like TechSparq.  They’re super motivated and easily assimilate into the environment they’re working in. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

I encourage them to continue to stay connected in the digital space given the changing dynamic that we’re living with today with more consumption coming through online channels. They should stay current in the digital landscape and the direct to consumer landscape so they can be competitive.

They never missed a date, and they would put in extra hours on their own time to get back on track if they were behind.
    They’re extremely competitive, and they bring the resources that are amicable to the fees that they charge for their services.
    We never had any issues with their quality or delivery
    I’ve already recommended them to several other teams in our organization.

App & Web Development for Mobile Cryptocurrency Platform

“Some of our other partners were flaky, but TechSparq's people were very reliable and good at communication.”

July – Dec. 2015

Subcontracted engineers from TechSparq helped build a mobile app and its accompanying website for a cryptocurrency solution. Key features include online payments and social networking.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Oregon
Manager, Cloud Computing Company

TechSparq delivered a quality product that was free from issues. Aside from excellent technical skills, TechSparq's people were reliable and highly professional. They worked on-site and sent daily updates, which helped keep the project on track.

I was working for a software solutions company. One of our clients was a Bitcoin derivative Chinese startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechSparq?

Our client was trying to build a multi-level marketing mobile app and website for a Bitcoin cryptocurrency alternative. We ended up subcontracting some of the work out to TechSparq and used their resources for the project.

TechSparq was building the mobile app to support the product. This included everything, from the social aspect of creating friends and managing your Bitcoin wallet to being able to purchase products from the website.

A lot of the development was on REST web services, which allowed communication between the web page and mobile app for the backend wallet management. The wallet, in this case, meaning the public key for users. Users could add to their wallet, pay for things with their wallet, and transfer funds from 1 wallet to another wallet.

We contracted 3 resources from TechSparq to run the project for us and be our guys on the ground. A project manager and 2 developers were working at our client’s office. TechSparq assigned a tech lead resource and a more senior consultant resource. We worked with them on a day-to-day basis. We used to have a project manager from our side who was touching base, but we no longer have any consultants working directly with TechSparq.

How did you come to work with TechSparq?

I actually worked together with Dedrick Boyd, one of the founders of TechSparq, directly on some projects several years ago. That’s how I was aware of him. When I started working for my current company, we were looking for partners to work with some of our projects, which we would then finish internally. I knew of Dedrick and the quality of his work. I assumed the quality of the resources he would hire would be similar or better, so I reached out to him to see if he was available.

How much have you invested with TechSparq?

For the duration, we paid more than $90,000 or $100,000.

I believe the project was from July to December 2015.

From a project tracking standpoint, they were using an Agile approach. Stories were created every 1–2 weeks, and the team would complete these stories. Since the project was so long ago, I can’t share the number of stories completed. There weren't really that many metrics for measuring the success of the project.

How did TechSparq perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management on their side was fine and on-site with the client. They were keeping track of everything that was going on. We had regular updates from TechSparq to make sure that we were in the loop on what was happening daily. The client was happy with the communication, and we were happy with the management and outcome as well.

What did you find most impressive about TechSparq?

They had good technical skills, which we see in a lot of partners. They also had a high level of professionalism. Some of our other partners were flaky, but TechSparq's people were very reliable and good at communication.

Are there any areas TechSparq could improve?

I can't think of anything that popped up. I know Dedrick pretty well, so I had pretty good communication with him at all times. If there were any issues, I can't remember there being any. And if there was, I had a direct line to the senior manager, so it wasn’t a problem.

Overall Score I’d need to be blown away a little more to give the top rating.
    We told them what our expectations were. They were traveling every week or every other week, Monday through Thursday, to the client's site. This was our standard travel schedule, and they had no problems with it.
    Their cost was right on par with what we were looking for. The value of the delivery was good for the price.
    To give a perfect score, I'd expect a rock star to come in and just blow me away. That’s very rare. But other than that, there were no problems with them.
    I've actually done that multiple times.

Long Term Dev Engagement with Athletic Retailer

"[They] understand how to build a high-capacity, high-performing technology organization."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Oct. 2013 - Oct. 2015

TechSparq recruited high performing coders & engineers to become embedded into a sporting good store’s agile process. TechSparq brought the new employees into the organization and coached and developed the entire team on site.

USA
Fmr. Engineering Director, Multinational Company

Resourceful and scrappy, TechSparq rolled up their sleeves and used a flexible approach, putting in the hours necessary but not overcommitting themselves. Well versed in code quality and the agile process, little to no oversight was needed and expected commitments were met without question.

I was the director of engineering for the scalable APIs team of about 50 people that powered a lot of our consumer facing, mobile, and web applications.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechSparq ?
When I joined, we had a lot of low performing contractors, and TechSparq stepped in to help me transition the organization and bring on more high performing coders and engineers, rather than MIS/enterprise IT people. I run a pretty flat organization, no matter where I am, and I wanted people embedded on the team who were part of the agile process and worked with the full-time engineers.

It was soup to nuts. I worked with them [TechSparq] in a general consulting role. They helped source high-caliber talent and brought them into the organization and then coached and developed them off site. If we needed a Scrum team with a certain skill set, TechSparq helped me craft what that team would look like. They provided that level of expertise as a partner and then helped source the talent.

One of the things that really impressed me was their strong pitch to some recruits who were with other firms, either not getting paid much or without benefits. They captured a lot of people from these other firms, brought them in to us, and then helped develop their skills on the side. They customized their coaching for what I needed and where I was going.

It was all about career development with their people, so TechSparq gave them the option to convert to full-time employees as long as I gave 90 days notice. If I had the headcount, I could convert these people to full-time, which I did for several of them.

All in all, we had 7 TechSparq contractors plus 1 of the heads of TechSparq embedded on my team.

How much have you invested with TechSparq?
The yearly budget I probably paid them was about $1.2 million.

I used them from October 2013–October 2014, and then I hired them again from February–October 2015.

Although I did keep sprint metrics, I can't tell you exactly what those metrics were because this was years ago. I can tell you for a fact that because of the higher caliber developers TechSparq sourced, their story point, closure rate, and ticket resolution rate, was, generally speaking, much higher than other contractors sourced from other firms on the team.

They were extremely resourceful and scrappy. They roll up their sleeves. If you work with other firms, they have a thousand rules: you can't convert our people, you have to give us notice on this, you have to follow our methodology, or we can't put them on site so they have to work remotely at our office. TechSparq was completely flexible. For staff augmentation, they asked me, "How do you see the world?" and then provided their input. But whatever I decided on, they worked with me.

I worked with 7 vendors for staff augmentation, and TechSparq was the best along with one other. Honestly, I always favored TechSparq. They treat their employees very well, and I could tell the engineers were much happier being on the TechSparq team.

How did TechSparq perform from a project management standpoint?
My goal is to minimize project management because there comes a point where there's just so much communication overhead. Because they were embedded on my team and physically with the agile team in the headquarters office, we didn't have to pay for a project manager. The existing project managers already on our team as full-time employees worked with them, so I don't have any opinion either way as far as their project management ability goes because we used our own.

What did you find most impressive about TechSparq?
The founder, Dedrick, is a remarkably talented engineer. When you talk to a lot of these firms, you often talk to the business managers or the business development people. They really have no idea what you're talking about. They take a few buzzwords you tell them, and then they go and search on LinkedIn and try and match up those words, trying to recruit whoever has the highest match.

Dedrick already has a network. He personally vets every single engineer hired by TechSparq, so he knows how to build high-caliber teams. He knows what goes into a great engineer, and he understands what a culture fit is. I think that's what sets them apart: you are working directly with somebody who understands how to build a high-capacity, high-performing technology organization. I felt like I spoke the same language when I talked to him.

Are there any areas TechSparq could improve?
No. I was very pleased with them. The only issue I might see is that they're headquartered in Atlanta and Portland, which are decent tech cities but they’re not San Francisco, New York, or Seattle. Maybe the available talent pool to them is not as deep, but that just happens to be where they're located.

That's one of the things I liked most about them. The contractors did what it took, put in the hours necessary, and didn't overcommit.
    I don't remember ever hearing any red flags. If a contractor tells me X and it ends up being 3X, I'll remember that. They met their commitments. No question.
    They were all well versed in code quality and the agile process. You didn't have to do a constant double take on their deliverables.
    Whenever people come to me, I always recommend TechSparq and one other firm. Saying that they are one of two is pretty special.