iOS, Android, nodejs development for startups

TechMagic is a development studio that helps established companies and startups in creating dedicated nearshore teams. Thanks to our strong focus on native mobile development (iOS and Android) and web development with JavaScript stack we can create teams that can be a great extension for your existing team as well as create an R&D center from 0 to 10 in just a few months.

Our experienced team will pre-interview candidates based on established requirements and will provide you a list of top matches for an interview. While we will be taking care of all administration (accounting, legal, office, etc) you can retain full control over product development as well as manage your team directly.

Lviv, Ukraine
    12 Heath Hill, Chestnut Hill
    Boston, MA MA 02445
    +1-617-669-9100

The workplace culture fit app that raised $10M+ fundings

Good.Co is a discovery-network for those seeking greater meaning in their careers. It helps individuals understand themselves, leverage their community to realize where they’ll thrive, make better job matches for both candidates and companies, and ultimately help companies update their employment brand and create better work experiences. TechMagic team developed web version on Angular.js and iOS app.

• Technology stack: iOS, Web (Angular.js)

SQORD - mobile app that raised 4mln+ funds.

Sqord tracks all sorts of movement and converts it into points that connect to Awards inside the App. App connects with hardware by bluetooth low energy and has complex dynamic UI.

Technology stack: iOS, Android.

Marketplace for graphical designers and illustrators

Platform for illustrators and surface pattern designers. We made integration with hardware as well as integration with payment systems. In app we created users profile, shopping cart, search by color and tags.

Technology stack: iOS, WEB (Node.JS, Angular.JS, MySQL)

Forq - social network for sharing recipes

Social network for Foodies of every generation to enjoy, learn, share, cherish and remember. TechMagic team developed iOS version from scratch with back-end based on Parse.

• Technology stack: iOS,  back-end (Parse)

THE MARKETPLACE FOR CREATIVE PEOPLE

We developed marketplace for people who love fashion. In application we connected payment systems and created user profiles, chat for communication, moreover, we integrated social media.

Technology stack: iOS, WEB (Node.js, MySQL)

MentionMyBiz - Winner of Kickstarter campaign. Successfully raised $30,075 USD

Mention My Biz is a social platform where users earn rewards by sharing customer experiences and referring their favorite businesses. We created platform, where user can refere their favourite business and earn a reward.

Technology stack: iOS, Android, WEB (Node.js)

HAGTAP - mobile app for event exploring

HAGTAP (Have A Great Time And Party) is a New-York based app for event discovery. It has Social Media integration, location tracker, feedbacks and the admin page where event organizer can collect analytics.

• Technology stack: iOS, Android, back-end (Node.js, Angular.js, MongoDB)

Hagtap admin page

Admin panel for venues and event providers with Yelp integration, that allows to add and edit events, upload media files and track user behaviour.

• Technology stack: Node.js, Angular.js, MongoDB, AWS

Startup with patent-pending technology, which raised $9.3M Funds in 3 Rounds from 5 Investors.

We built upon patent-pending technology to protect the privacy of members and corporate data residing in the public cloud.

Technology stack: Android, Parse, Dropbox, GoogleDrive.

MENYOOO - Uber for cooking

Menyooo gives users the chance to open their own food/catering business online. TechMagic team developed the web version on JavaScript (Node.js, Angular.js) with Stripe payment system.

• Technology stack: Node.js, Angular.js, Stripe

Azymuth - project based on iBeacons

Azymuth is our R&D project based on iBeacon. Implemented features: geolocation, indoor navigation, range updates, iBeacons technology etc.

Technology stack: iOS, Android, Back-End (Node.Js, MongoDB)

Hi - R&D Geolocation app

An app that tracks your friends location and send you push-notifications when they appear nearby.

Technology stack: Android, Parse

HappyScan admin page

Venue panel which collects user database and tracks their behaviour. Implemented features: push notifications,​ feedbacks system,​ analytics by gender, age, visit frequency, time of visit etc.,​ payment system,​ social media integration.

• Technology stack: Node.js, Angular.js, MongoDB, Heroku

Areobooks - an ebook store

Areobooks is a platform for individual authors for selling books. It puts authors in control of their ebooks and which encourages authors and readers to connect. TechMagic team developed the web version on Phyton.

• Technology stack: Python, Django, Postgresql, Redis

Clubbook - social app for clubbers

Clubbook is a location-based social network for clubbers. We track users micro-location by GPS and enable real-time communication. We developed iOS, Android, Back-End (Node.js) from scratch.

• Technology stack: iOS, Android, back-end (Node.js, MongoDB)

HappyScan - gamified loyalty app

Gamified loyalty app for restaurants: scan QR-code, scratch to win instant deals, find nearby restaurants, redeem mobile coupons, receive welcome back push notifications with special offers and discounts.

• Technology stack: iOS, Android, back-end (Node.js, MongoDB)

EventInArea - global event-finder

EventInArea is an event-based app that allows users to search for events in their local area sorted by distance/preferences/popularity. Users rate events and we show you what’s trendy tonight in every particular part of the city.

• Technology stack: Android, back-end (Node.js, MongoDB)

Cleaning Firm's iOS and Android Mobile Development

"I can say that they are extremely skilled and the best of four Ukrainian development companies I've used."

Nov 2015 - April 2016

TechMagic built a mobile and web application from scratch to help a residential cleaning business book more home cleaning appointments.

11- 50 employees

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
CEO, Residential Cleaning Business

TechMagic has great development skill but had to outsource design, which added time and cost to the project. They have a good team and are recommended.

We are a residential cleaning business for the Dubai market, based in Dubai. I am the CEO.

We needed web and mobile apps to book residential cleaning appointments. TechMagic did it from scratch. We wanted to use technology to reach more customers and book more appointments for our cleaning teams.

We used their services for web front-end and back end development and iOS and Android mobile development. They outsourced design but handled development internally. They are more expensive than most Ukrainian firms but offer a good team of developers. I chose them because they seem qualified with good skills.

My only suggestion to TechMagic would be to set up their own design team. Outsourcing design to other agencies just adds time, budget, and complexity. They outsourced to designers, which cost us time and delayed the launch. They also went above the original estimates.

I can say that they are extremely skilled and the best of four Ukrainian development companies I've used. I am satisfied and would recommend them to others, although it wasn't perfect.

App Development for Digital Health Company

"TechMagic is a strong partner who supports us along the various phases of our work together."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

TechMagic helped create a fully mobile experience by updating the client's existing app to include functionalities such as full registration, login, and account features.

Seattle, Washington
Coleman Greene
Co-Founder/VP, Sqord

The client is very pleased with the app built by TechMagic, which was launched in time for their autumn customer push. TechMagic was praised for good communication as well as being a strong partner who supported the client throughout the whole process.

Sqord is a digital health company that encourages kids to stay active via a wearable accelerometer. It tracks activity for points, gift cards, and other forms of online entertainment. I am one of the co-founders. Currently, I’m also the vice president responsible for business development, product, and sales.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

We did not have in-house mobile talent, so we needed to partner with a group that could move quickly while maintaining quality.

TechMagic helped us launch our first fully mobile experience. Their work allowed our existing mobile app to evolve beyond just syncing. They added full registration, login, and account feature functionalities.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

They were a referral from a Techstars company. We had proposals from 3 other vendors before selecting TechMagic.

How much have you invested with TechMagic?

I would estimate that we paid $150,000 to $200,000 for their services.

We started working with them in October or November 2015. We continue to be customers of TechMagic.

We've launched the updated app in time for our autumn consumer push. TechMagic does it all for an affordable price.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

TechMagic is diligent in meeting with our team weekly. We also have good communication on issues and progress.

What did you find most impressive about TechMagic?

TechMagic is a strong partner who supports us along the various phases of our work together. They did not just get a project done by the specs.

Are there any areas TechMagic could improve?

There were some times when we had a disconnect in expectations around the type of experience we were aiming for in the app. That caused some delays, but otherwise, our experience with them was okay.

Web Development for IT Services Startup

"TechMagic has a very good balance of … knowing when to take pragmatic decisions, and when to ask me about an issue."

June 2015 - Ongoing

TechMagic helped the client quickly scale a development team for an initial version of a product, but this will be a long-term engagement with TechMagic as the ongoing developer.

Adrian King
Founder/CTO/COO, Q9 Elements

TechMagic recruited 12 team members, built a solid product the client feels confident keeping in place for the next decade, and helped grow the user base quickly. The client views TechMagic as a long-term partner and not just a third-party developer.

Q9 Elements is a software-as-a-service startup providing and building a process knowledge cloud application. Our main target is the Salesforce marketplace, allowing admins to perform business analysis before Salesforce implementations. We're a US-based company with offices in the UK.

I am the chief technology officer and chief operations officer for the company, in charge of both software development and business management.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

The challenge was being able to quickly scale a team while having no infrastructure of our own. Keeping a sensible cost was also an issue. We considered building a team in the UK or North America, contracting a UK-based outsourcing organization, or going offshore. Based on my experience and our need for rapid scaling without an HR infrastructure, and the cost involved, choosing a nearshore option (possibly in the Ukraine) made the most sense.

Because we had been running a tech company for 15 years developing the same type of product, we knew exactly what we wanted to build. We approached TechMagic in order to get an initial version of our product to market in a reasonable amount of time. This will be a long-term engagement with no end-date. We're looking for TechMagic to provide an ongoing development team for the foreseeable time. In the future, we might consider building our own team in the UK and bringing all development in-house or running a mixed mode. Given that we already know what the initial product will look like, the main goal now is to obtain a user base as quickly as possible.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

I had used offshore development resources in the Ukraine, so when I needed to do it again, I looked for a company in that area and found TechMagic. I used a UK company that provides access to a range of development resources in Eastern Europe and had a discussion with them about the project. TechMagic was suggested to us by the broker. I had a look at their background and also met TechMagic's team in Ukraine. We didn't have any checklists, but it was important to gauge how comfortable we felt with the organization. I've run development groups for almost 30 years and have a reasonably good feel for whether or not I like an organization, or if they're technically competent, able to scale, have a good culture, good English language skills, and so on. If we were to engage TechMagic, I would have to visit Ukraine regularly, which was something to consider. My colleague and co-founder, who is responsible for customer success and sales, and I came away from the visit thinking that we could make the collaboration work.

How much have you invested with TechMagic?

The cost of TechMagic's services has been above $450,000 over the course of 18 months.

We started working with TechMagic in June 2015. We've been building out the team since then, reaching 12 members by April 2016. There's been a bit of resource churning, but the number has stayed the same to this day. It was nothing unusual or damaging, but along with our tech lead, I decided we needed a slightly different skill profile on a couple of people. TechMagic has recruited for our project specifically, and they've given us a stable core team.

We reached a release-to-market product after 9 months, which is roughly what I expected. We have been adding additional functionalities on a regular basis. I particularly like the fact that we've been able to change key bits of the architecture, as we learned more about the behavior of our application. As an organization, TechMagic worked alongside me, ensuring that we're building the product which we want to have for the next 10 years. I view TechMagic as my development group, rather than a third-party resource; they simply happen to be based in Ukraine.

We had a strategic review 2 weeks ago, discussing the engineering function of our business. The view was that there was no need or desire to bring the development effort onshore to the UK for the moment. We're extremely happy with the way in which TechMagic is delivering and scaling. The most important metric is that, for the next strategic period, we've decided to use TechMagic exclusively.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

I keep contact with TechMagic up to 10 times per day, either with junior developers or with the tech lead, who is also an owner of the company. We run an Agile 2-week sprint system, and I'm deeply involved as a product owner, deciding what will be built and when. We've matured our process, creating 3 distinct teams, each with a team leader responsible for their particular sprints. I have excellent visibility of the work going on. As with all projects, I do wish that the work would complete faster at times and reach the market, but that's not realistic.

I've done work with third-party developers in the past and never felt as integrated with a company as with TechMagic. There are no barriers in talking to anyone there. TechMagic is simply my team. The most junior testers can ping me on Slack or Skype for a quick call any day. If the project management was failing at this point, it would probably be my fault, not TechMagic's.

What did you find most impressive about TechMagic?

Their pragmatic, technical decision-making. I feel comfortable that, when issues come up, sensible decisions will be taken by TechMagic. They know when to make one themselves and when to engage me in the process, which gives me enormous confidence.

I've worked with other companies, particularly Indian developers, who all built to the spec. From my experience, the spec is rarely right, and this can be very frustrating. Others did decide that the spec couldn't be right and built their own solutions, but without understanding the whole context; this is just as bad. TechMagic has a very good balance of understanding our goals, knowing when to take pragmatic decisions, and when to ask me about an issue. TechMagic has also made good suggestions when possible.

Are there any areas TechMagic could improve?

There's constant improvement in our process of working together with TechMagic in order to make things smoother. There have been no major issues, mainly because I can talk to TechMagic about any concerns with the staff or anything else. The fact that TechMagic is a third-party organization has had almost zero impact on how we work as a group. The language barrier is remarkably unobtrusive, and I haven't had to modify the way in which I speak in order to compensate for the fact that I'm talking to a team in Ukraine.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with TechMagic?

I don't know how TechMagic would work with a more hands-off client, but I advise everyone to work closely with the developer. I go to the Ukraine every 2-3 weeks and spend a few days there, even going out with the rest of the team. TechMagic is very open to working in this way and incredibly hospitable. I even have my own desk there.

App Development for Webmail Service

"Their resources have perfect backgrounds in all aspects of development."

May 2015 - Nov. 2015

TechMagic created iOS and Android mobile versions of a webmail service that emphasizes user security. The team worked on client-side encryption, and all standard mail functions.

Kiev, Ukraine
CEO at Web Services Company

The team provided quality work quickly. Both application versions are good quality, and any issues were corrected quickly. TechMagic created a flawless client-side encryption service. They have great resources and are able to perform a wide range of tasks.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

Our company, which is located in Kiev, Ukraine, creates secure web services that help users communicate in a simple and secure way. One of our main products is a web mail service—similar to Gmail—but with a much stronger security component. This service is targeted to users who need to communicate by email, but want to be sure that their correspondence is protected. I am the Chief Executive Officer, and I am responsible for all strategic questions related to our products.

What challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

Our main challenge was to create a convenient and secure email service for all users, not just for computer geeks and techies. We understood that to create something useful, we needed to develop both a website and mobile apps. To solve the mobile app challenge, we chose TechMagic to create mobile apps for iOS and Android.

They needed to develop iOS and Android applications from scratch for our email service, although we developed the user interface design. The main feature of the apps was client-side encryption. TechMagic created the two applications that we needed. They implemented all the functionality—standard functions for mail clients using IMAP, SMTP, labels, filters, and so forth—but most importantly they correctly developed the client-side encryption.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

One of our colleagues suggested them. Prior to that time, we had looked at two or three other companies similar to TechMagic but found that they were not a good fit for us.

How much have you invested with TechMagic?

We have spent somewhere between $10,000 and $50,000 working with TechMagic.

The project took from the end of May to the fall of 2015.

Could you share any evidence that would demonstrate the productivity, quality of work or the impact of the engagement?

As a consequence of the work of TechMagic, we received two working applications for Android and iOS, which our own developers polished and made ready for production.

What did you find most impressive about TechMagic?

We were impressed by both their speed and quality. When we decided to develop the mobile apps we thought we would need at least six to eight months, but TechMagic surprised us and finished the work much quicker.

The quality of both applications was good. The few bugs that did show up were corrected very quickly by TechMagic. We thought that we would run into problems implementing the client-side encryption, but we didn’t. Like all of their tasks, everything was solved, which was a pleasant surprise for us. Their resources have perfect backgrounds in all aspects of development, which was crucial in their excellent implementation of the project.

No, I don’t think so.

App Development for Consumer Goods Marketplace

"Money and time to market are crucial. TechMagic knows that."

TechMagic completed the backend coding for a complex two-sided marketplace mobile app.

Startup

Groningen, Netherlands
Merlijn Witteveen
Founder, Yealie

The app is performing well and was completed within budget. TechMagic was complimented for their personality, customer service, and awareness of what a company needs to improve.

We are a small company with a big passion for print, customer services, marketplaces, and people. We wanted to build a new kind of 2-sided, easy to use, mobile first marketplace around fashion, jewelry, and handmade items.

We were looking for a team that had the same passion as ours in the tech space, understood the technical needs very well and brought in space and room for us as founders to participate in the development process from start to end.

Our mobile app taps into a huge market worldwide of people selling new and pre-owned items. Our app is doing as expected. Building a 2-sided marketplace is very complex and time-consuming.

I used a freelancer to find the right partner and I knew exactly what I needed. I found some good reviews of TechMagic but not for freelancers that I could have hired. I had to choose between five-star reviews and an unknown freelancer. I did my research and found that they fit all the criteria I needed to build my app; people who understand all parts of what I wanted to build.

I did the UI [user interface] designs and worked closely with an iOS developer to build the app, so the backend engineers knew exactly what to build.

As a founder, money and time to market are crucial. TechMagic knows that and gives a clear path of the time to develop. You, as a founder, can always interfere and do changes on the fly. Budget-wise it was perfect.

TechMagic brings personality, customer service and eye for the needs of the founder to a new level. For me personally, I see them as friends that do their best to build my dream, and I want to challenge them with new innovations to keep both sides happy.

Overall Score Best team; with a lot of personality and knowledge to build your founder's dreams.
    They never skipped a set deadline in my project.
    Price quality is very good.
    Very high quality on all levels of development.
    I've already sent them another startup client.

Development for Digital Product Design Agency

"[We] have found TechMagic to be one of the most reliable and high-quality development houses out of all our partners."

June 2014 - Ongoing

TechMagic partners with a digital design and management company, providing software development and consultation services.

Managing Partner, YouTeam

TechMagic’s work has received great feedback from clients. They produce reliable and high-quality development and have good project management skills. Senior managers are involved in each project, which helps for continuity.

We are a London-based digital product development agency, specializing in startup and small-to-medium enterprise structures, handling product design and management.

I am the managing partner of the company, responsible for our collaborations with remote teams.

What business challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

We rely on other companies for software development. TechMagic is one of the vendors which we use.

TechMagic has provided consultation and managerial services, aside from software engineering.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

One of TechMagic's founders had been a team lead for my own startup 5 years ago. At that time, he was working for a big company which acted as a contractor for my project. I later found out that he was running his own agency and gave him a similar project to what we'd worked on in the past.

The costs for our projects with TechMagic have been between $220,000 and $900,000. [150,000 to 600,000 GBP] We are currently running 2 very large projects. Our teams are growing, so the overall cost for the largest project could exceed 1 million dollars.

We have been working with TechMagic for 2 years. We have an ongoing partnership with no plans to stop. We have 2 ongoing projects with TechMagic, as well as 3 others which have been successfully launched and are now in the support stage.

We have been more than satisfied with TechMagic, and our end-clients have also given good feedback. We have successfully delivered 3 projects with the assistance of TechMagic. Our clients have remained in touch with us for support. We run regular satisfaction surveys with them and have found TechMagic to be one of the most reliable and high-quality development houses out of all our partners.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

TechMagic's project management skills are very high-level. In particular, we've appreciated the level of involvement from the senior company managers. Our biggest account with TechMagic had their founder as team lead. They saw us as an important client and were keen to deliver work of the highest quality. In most cases, we haven't been able to count on the involvement of the senior management. It may not be optimal from TechMagic's point of view, given that a Chief Technology Officer will have other responsibilities, but it has been beneficial for us, as a client.

What distinguishes TechMagic from other providers?

As a company that relies on outsourcing for development, we've worked with more than 20 different houses. Comparing our experience with TechMagic to that with other companies, I can say that it has definitely been better. TechMagic is more reliable and they deliver high-quality products. They have good communication as well.

Nothing major.

Overall Score TechMagic is the highest quality and most reliable partner across our network.
    We never had any problems in this regard, which is quite uncommon for time-and-materials projects. Deadlines aren't always met, but this was never the case with TechMagic.
    Our assessment of a vendor's quality of work comes from comparing it to that of others. TechMagic delivers top-level outcomes which are almost always better than those of our other partners.

Development Projects for Design Studio

"They are fully transparent and our collaboration has shown better results, compared to previous partners."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

TechMagic provides development resources for a digital design agency on various projects. The team was brought on to help specifically with architecture and QA.

Ukraine
Founder and CEO, Creative Studio

The team excels at fast delivery of high-quality products. TechMagic has shown good project management and communication compared with other venders. They are very knowledgeable, innovative, and are constantly improving by attracting new talent.

We are a small digital design agency based in Ukraine. We have some development competencies as well. Our company is comprised of 25 people.

I am the Chief Executive Officer and founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

We needed development resources for various projects. I wanted to work with an agency that could excel with the architecture. We would provide the design expertise. A partnership would help both agencies get more clients and larger projects.

We collaborate with TechMagic on user experience and user interface design projects, as well as prototyping and related services. TechMagic develops and delivers final results, including testing. Our focus is on design, while theirs is production. We have a very good collaboration.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

They are a local firm that I knew in the industry. They came recommended to me, and because of their reputation, it was an easy choice.

The cost will vary depending on the size of each project. The average budget for a project with TechMagic ranges from $15,000 to $50,000.

We have been working with TechMagic for one year and a half. We have no plans to stop.

As an example, TechMagic gave us an estimate of 3 months' development time for a specific project. They delivered the minimum viable product in only 2 and a half months.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

We used to work with different software developers. TechMagic has shown better performance in terms of project management and communication. They are fully transparent and our collaboration has shown better results, compared to previous partners.

What distinguishes TechMagic from other providers?

TechMagic has a very talented team. They attract good resources to their company through open tech events, during which TechMagic describes different technologies used within the company and their general approach. They have created a community around them which has been interesting for us to visit. As a result, we have found better ways of merging technology stacks with the user experience. It's easy for TechMagic to provide optimal solutions and implement technology into user experience and design parts.

Is there anything TechMagic could have improved or done differently?

Any company will have minor issues, but I can't think of anything in particular for TechMagic. The reason for working with them was the fact that they didn't present any major issues.

They are great at hitting project schedules and deadlines.
    Their work isn’t perfect and I am tough on them, but it’s still very good overall.
    I am very pleased with their competence and management approach.

Social Referral Mobile App Development

"TechMagic is the best technology partner I've worked with in 13 years in the industry."

TechMagic initially repaired the code and node development of the client's app, then completed the web development. They have been retained for a second web project, as well as a second version of the app.

Freelancer

Los Angeles Metro Area
CEO & Founder, Technical Startup

TechMagic provided exceptionally strong coders and were proactive throughout the project. They have good communication skills and adhered to the client's timeline and budget.

I am the founder and CEO of a startup. I don't want to share my idea or industry, but I have a technical background with well more than a dozen years leading technology projects.

I am new to outsourcing development projects and was burned during my first foray into the market by another offshore firm. I had to replace a disastrous vendor and fix their code. The main challenge was that I was short on time and funds after making a terrible hiring decision to start.

I found TechMagic on the former Elance website [now Upwork] through a traditional RFP [request for proposal] process. I narrowed my initial short list to 40 firms globally and then three shops. TechMagic won my project from their stellar client interviews. I chose them because they work with MongoDB.

TechMagic started by cleaning up code and did node development. After I began to trust them, I let them work on my web development project. They earned my trust and did well with that technology.

The technologies used so far are Node.js, MongoDB, and angularJS. I will start a second project with them in the middle of 2016, which will involve more web development than before. The first project is completely finished, and version 1 of the app was great. We will start on version 2 soon.

TechMagic has strong coders. They fixed poor code, hit deadlines, and kept on budget. Our project was fixed price and fixed time. They kept to their word and were active participants that suggested improvements throughout the work.

TechMagic is the best technology partner I've worked with in 13 years in the industry. Their communication and English are perfect. They will do regular meetings with all team members. They always do stand ups and demos. I can't recommend TechMagic enough.

Mobile Development for Security Software Firm

"They don’t make business mistakes because they are professional and they value their people."

TechMagic helped to extend a pre-existing cloud security software, scaling the solution to include additional cloud providers. The team provided mobile app development and QA services.

Boston Metro Area
Co-founder and CTO, Security Software Company

The team was very responsive, especially when it came to project changes. TechMagic is very young and energetic, but also knowledgeable. They make an effort to keep good developers and resources, which has resulted in a strong and stable team.

We are a security company. We protect data stored in the cloud and work with cloud providers like DropBox and Google Drive. We provide a security layer on top of applications for different platforms like Android and iOS.

I’m founder and chief technology officer [CTO].

What business challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

We had our application already developed and built in the US. The firm that did that job just didn’t have enough resources, so I reached out to TechMagic to help us extend our application to be able to support more cloud providers.

We used some services from TechMagic to help us with mobile applications. They did quality assurance [QA] as well. The structure of the project required them to find a developer for us, since they didn’t have a developer at the time.

When I gave them the project, they found resources pretty quickly. They have great technical abilities and followed instructions and specifications perfectly. They have a strong QA team to test each and every deliverable. Our team did the last step of the project, so it was a success with TechMagic's help.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

I am from Ukraine and I have some contacts that referred them. I had mutual acquaintances that trusted their leaders.

The cost of the work with the main project stands between $10,000 and $50,000.

The main project is finished which took about six to eight months. It was an Android app to begin with and then we added iOS.

Since I work for a security company, I don’t want to do any offshore development. But if it’s going to be a necessity and it will not expose any privacy, I’m happy to use TechMagic again. As of right now, there’s no project they’re doing for us.

I cannot disclose metrics due to privacy concerns.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

I am satisfied. They were very quick to respond, and if we weren’t satisfied, they were quick at fixing it. They had a good QA team and the engineers were quite knowledgeable.

What distinguishes TechMagic from other providers?

They are not a big company, so the turnaround is quite impressive. They are young and energetic guys. I know them and trust their character. I went to their office in Ukraine and met with them before I gave them a project. They’re very knowledgeable.

It doesn’t seem to be a tough company that hires people for one project and then gets rid of them. They select people very carefully. When they discover talent, they’re doing a lot to keep resources. They don’t make business mistakes because they are professional and they value their people.

Is there anything TechMagic could have improved or done differently?

Not really. We all dealt with normal development issues. If they come up with something and we don’t like it, they change it. In general, I don’t have any negative feedback.

Mobile Development for Nightlife Application

"Great work. I can't say really anything bad about them [TechMagic]."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

The client hired TechMagic to build mobile apps for both iOS and Android platforms, develop a management system, and assist with UI/UX.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Alexander Romero
UI/UX Designer, HAGTAP

TechMagic produced two high-quality apps for the client and continues to work on more projects with them. The client advises TechMagic to work on their pitch but recognizes them for their coding expertise, responsiveness, and ability to meet deadlines.

HAGTAP was born out of a need for finding new places to spend a night out. The same old spot is always a good fall back, but what if you're feeling extra adventurous that night? That's where HAGTAP comes in. Information on bars, specials, and happy hours coalesced into one place for your knowledge. Access the app and immediately get a feel for what's happening in the area.

As a UI/UX designer at HAGTAP, I have worked with TechMagic closely throughout every iteration of the app. I am responsible for providing interactive mock-ups that need to get developed.

What business challenge were you trying to address with TechMagic?

The application we're working on is basically a local events application. The idea is, when you're in the city, whether it be your hometown or you're going right into college, and you're looking to figure out what the happy hours are, where the live bands are, and when the town has a festival. The thing is we are trying to build this system based off maps and based off information that doesn't exist. You can't find happy hours in a directory for the entire United States.

We have interns that come in here from time to time, help us manage all this data. Nightlife is a huge industry, but heavily divided. Hence, why there hasn't been any tech leaders. What we're trying to become is like Netflix. Similar to how Netflix first hosted other people's licensed content, and then they started developing their original content. We're going around the same idea at first. We're putting in a lot of time on finding out everything that's happening in a particular area. Right now, we're working in New York and New Jersey, and we're spending time figuring out all the happy hours and every single event. Then, within the upcoming year, we're going to be throwing our own events.

The good thing is that they follow a lean methodology. We're all on the same page when it comes to, none of us really know what's going to go on, so the best thing we can do is iterate it as fast as possible. That makes it very easy to work with them as opposed to working on a final product. We're always working on developing the product, and it's very hard to get a team to understand that concept.

What they helped build out is the iOS and Android apps, the entire management system – a CMS [content management system] on the back-end – a way for us to work with permissions and remote workers. They also helped us with UI/UX, and they also have a project manager there that's been helping us and making sure we hit the deadlines. We have used Node.js, MongoDB, Objective C, and Android to develop our consumer products. We believe in agile development and wanted to use a tech stack that lets us iterate quickly.

How did you come to work with TechMagic?

We found them on Elance. I code and program for a living. I do UI/UX also. That's my role right now. Because I know how to code, I wanted to make sure that we had test projects, like "Here, build this simple program for me" to see the quality of the code. The back-end is done in Node, and it's using a MongoDB database, but now we're using the AWS [Amazon Web Services] for our server. I interviewed more than 100 different firms on what they can do.

Each of these agencies would respond to my questions. I would measure them on how fast would they respond, in what detail, were they trying to sell me something, what was the portfolio looking like. Surprisingly, TechMagic was one of the two I was interested in. It was a lot of work to get them on board.

That's the problem with Elance – you have a lot of great talent there. They were probably the 76th person to apply to our bid. Being the 76th person, I can only imagine that most people would never go with them. A lot of people who go on Elance just pick the first five bids and negotiate with them. It was really interesting.

It is between $50,000 and $200,000. We're almost running past $200,000 within these two upcoming months. Within the full year, it will be more than $200,000.

We've been working with them since October, and the relationship is ongoing. The application has been launched. The third version has been launched, and we're working on the fourth right now. That should be launched in September.

In terms of apps we developed with them, we've already developed two different apps. Both have similar focus, but one for the venues, in which the venues are paying to record information and post. They've also build out the iOS and Android apps for the consumers. Great work. I can't say really anything bad about them.

How did TechMagic perform from a project management standpoint?

It's great. I would say they work really well, and if you give them an eight-week scrum cycle, they always tend to meet that deadline. We have been hitting all our set milestones and constantly focusing on growing our key performance indicators.

What distinguishes TechMagic from other providers?

What they helped build out is the iOS and Android apps, the entire management system – a CMS on the back-end – a way for us to work with permissions and remote workers. They also helped us with UI/UX, and they also have a project manager there who has been helping us and making sure we hit the deadlines.

Is there anything TechMagic could have improved or done differently?

I guess in the beginning, at the onboarding process and being able to sell themselves. That's about it. As a salesman, I was looking for code quality. But, in my mind, I can only imagine the average person who's not technically savvy would be looking for someone to sell themselves. That has nothing to do with my project. But, for the help of their own industry, if they can just make sure that they can pitch better.