Communications for Creative Industries

Taylor & Company is a results-oriented boutique public relations, marketing, and communications firm that creates and implements pro-active public relations programs expressly for professionals, institutions, and organizations involved in architecture, design, landscape, furnishings, and the betterment of the built environment.

Founded in 1994 by Julie D. Taylor, Hon. AIA/LA, Taylor & Company has provided public relations, media relations, marketing advice, and communications services to some 70 clients, many maintaining long-term relationships spanning 10+ years. T&C is expert in positioning architecture and design firms advantageously in a variety of marketplaces. Our mission is to link good design to the public through effective communications based on the driving principles of creativity, quality, tenacity, and expertise.

Taylor has been professionally involved in design, public relations, marketing, and publishing since 1983. She started as a magazine editor, gaining first-hand knowledge of editors’ needs and processes, and is the author of three books on design, as well as numerous articles. She is the West Coast correspondent for ArchNewsNow.com. Taylor is the 2014-15 Public Director on the National Board of Directors of the American Institute of Architects.

1994

• Dan Brunn Architecture
  • Monterey Design Conference
  • McIntosh Poris Associates

PR for Architecture & Design Firm

"Thanks to Taylor & Company we've been featured in more than 100 publications. The owner understands our business and our industry very well, and she's connected in the business and the industry."

2001 - Ongoing

The client hired Taylor & Company for the goal of promoting their portfolio which required the agency to provide public relations services.

Detroit Metro Area
Michael Poris
Principal, McIntosh Poris Associates

Taylor & Company succeeds as the client’s partner by helping them achieve their goals; as a result of the agency’s efforts, the client has been featured in a variety of books and magazines. Taylor & Company is highly recommended to others.

McIntosh Poris Associates is an architecture and interior design firm in the Detroit area. We're located in Birmingham with an office in Detroit as well. Birmingham is a 19th century suburb of Detroit, right outside the city.

I am the principal of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Taylor & Company?

It was in the early 2000s. I think at the time, we had done a lot of good work, but we hadn't gotten it out there so we wanted to find a way to promote our portfolio.

How did you come to work with Taylor & Company?

I had met Julie [Taylor, principal at Taylor & Company] long before we started working together because she had done PR in for my graduate school. She was focused on design and architecture, which for me was a big deal because most PR firms didn't know the industry. I thought that was a good fit, and we had mutual friends and clients. That's how we started with her.

We started working with them in 2001 or 2002, and we are still working with them. There were a few years during the recession where we dropped it. We had to cut back, but we started back up this year.

Could you share any feedback from this engagement?

I can tell you, in the Detroit area, among the design community and people familiar with design and architecture, we're now known as one of the few local firms that has somewhat of a national presence. For instance, Dwell did their definitive list of architects and designers worldwide, and there are only two firms listed in Michigan, and we're one of them. For somewhere like California, it was probably 50, but Michigan is a different market. That really impresses people here.

We were published in Dwell a long time ago, in their second anniversary issue. We got work directly from that. A big multi-family developer in Chicago that saw that, and then hired us to work on Lafayette Park. That was a good, direct result of Julie and her team getting us published.

Thanks to Taylor & Company we've been featured in more than 100 publications. I do think it's helped with the perception. Getting published means something to people. It gives us credibility.

What distinguishes Taylor & Company from other providers?

The owner understands our business and our industry very well, and she's connected in the business and the industry. The editor of Interior Design magazine was coming to Detroit, and I got to give her a tour of Detroit. I spent a day with her. That's a big deal, and it helped that Julie knew her.

I get some of those relationships through her but, mostly, she's just constantly looking out. She has an idea of the work we're doing, and she's constantly looking for places to place it and how to get us out there. I think that helps a lot. We were able to build on some of that into better projects.

Is there anything Taylor & Company could have improved or done differently?

We've been published in a lot of books. There's a whole series about the 100 best houses in the world or the next 100 best houses, and we've been in most of those. We've been in books about the best bars and the best restaurants. I don't know how much those have done for us, I just don't know that the circulation of the books makes as big of an impact as magazines or the Internet. I think partly that's just because the industry has changed, so books and magazines are just not what they were, the Internet's kind of taking over.

Now that I've started back up with her, that's something that remains to be seen. How much actually is going out in social media and the Internet that can have a wider impact vs. magazines and books, which seem to have less unless they really have a presence online. That's an area that I just don't know yet. I'm curious to see how that's going.

They've always been really good at making deadlines. I don't think that they've really missed any. They're pretty fast. When things have to get turned around quickly, they've done it.
    I have a little more to spend on this, but I've always felt that, if I can get one good project from this a year, then it's going to more than pay for itself. I think there's definitely value. Getting this Dwell listing, was a big deal for us.
    I think sometimes it's hard because they're not here locally...I trust that they know what they're doing and who the market is they are writing for...it takes a little more effort to help them communicate the essence...but they do a great job.
    Absolutely. Very likely, I've done it before. They're specialized, and I think there are very few people like them. I've met many public relations people that just don't have the knowledge or the connections in the design industry that Julie has.

PR for Architect Firm

"Their team is incredible. ... Taylor & Company is a small boutique firm that really cares about you."

0.0

2013 - Ongoing

The client hired Taylor & Company to provide public relations services with the goal of increasing brand recognition. The agency is also tasked with making important media connections.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Dan Brunn
Owner, Dan Brunn Architecture and Design

Taylor & Company is a valuable partner. The agency connected the client with The New York Times and secured high profile speaking engagements. The client credits Taylor & Company with much of their success and recommends them to others.

Our company is Dan Brunn Architecture and Design. We do mostly architectural design work, both residential and commercial, with a mix of hospitality and product design. We're based in Los Angeles, and most of the work right now is here. We're a small office with just me and five other people.

I'm the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Taylor & Company?

The idea was to get my name more broadly known, to grow beyond just residential design, and to be seen more as a leader in the design world.

Please describe the nature of the work Taylor & Company has done for you.

They have done mostly public relations services as well as connecting me to various speaking engagements.

How did you come to work with Taylor & Company?

I originally used Google, and I looked to see what some other architects I admired were doing. I was able to find out who their publicists were, which turned out to be just a few. I had meetings with some of them and, to be honest, nothing felt right. I didn't feel like they understood what I was all about nor did I feel like they could make me grow into what I wanted to become.

I also wanted to work with a smaller office. Quite frankly, the minute I met the owner of Taylor & Company [Julie D. Taylor], everything fell into place. I just could tell that they would be my partner.

I believe we started working with them two years ago, and we are still working with them.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or other feedback from your work with Taylor & Company?

I'll give you a remarkable story. Within the first week of meeting us, the owner was able to get a house I had just finished in Venice into The New York Times. Literally, we met, she made a call, the person came over to see the house and, within a month, it was actually in the paper. We had a header at the top of the piece and two pages on the inside. That was all with a month's worth of work. It was just incredible.

I knew that I had a great product, but I just needed the connections to get it out there, and the owner has those connections. Julie knows the right people, and she knows what story will work where. She is very astute about knowing when to pitch what to whom in order to get the best results.

Also, she was able to get me a speaking engagement with Dwell on Design, and they actually set up a whole panel based on part of my design philosophy. That was just because of her introduction, and that actually led to one of my projects eventually being incorporated in the Dwell on Design architectural tour.

Taylor & Company also set up a speaking engagement for Interior Design magazine. She got me on a panel where everybody was probably 50 or 60 years old, and I was maybe 35 at the time. That was pretty impressive. Since then, we have been in numerous other magazines. Everything that I have been able to do in the last two years came from Taylor & Company.

What distinguishes Taylor & Company from other providers?

Everybody loves the owner – that's the bottom line. She knows people, people love her, and they respect her. I think they know that if she brings something to them, that means something. She has that kind of community respect. She's part of the American Institute of Architects, which is really impressive. She is very well respected in the field, is heavily involved in the profession,  and she knows all the players.

Is there anything Taylor & Company could have improved or done differently?

No. I actually think they've done everything perfectly. The only thing is whether they do social media. I don't know if it's part of their services. I don't think it is, but I am beginning to realize that it's a huge part of the world, and maybe that's the only resource that I would think could be added. For example, my social media network and Instagram are both stronger than theirs is, and I think that kind of support could be a little bit stronger on their end.

Overall Score Their team is incredible. Everybody really follows up on everything, and nothing gets lost in the work. The owner has a hands-on approach, just like I take in my own office. Taylor & Company is a small boutique firm that really cares about you.
  • N/A Cost
    That's a very hard one to judge...This is something for the long term...The rest is more about my name and people respecting it. Taylor & Company has made my name a lot more valuable, so people recognize me in my field...