Content First, Then Design

Tangible Words is a Sales Support Growth Agency focused on Inbound Marketing & Growth-Driven Design Websites. Our customers have seen shorter sales cycles ($600K of new business in 5 months), better quality leads, and have increased website sales by 340%.

Ottawa, Canada

Ontario East Economic Development Commission, Ontario Agri-Food Venture Centre, MDB Insight, Haliburton Forest, Area9 Lyceum

Website Design for Private Land Stewardship Company

“They’ve created some outstanding blog content for us, and the call to action graphics they made are visually stunning.”

Apr. – Dec. 2017

Tangible Words built a new website and booking platform for a forest and wildlife reserve with accommodations. Then, they developed blogs and promoted the company digitally through social media marketing.

Tegan Legge
General Manager, Tourism and Recreation, Haliburton Forest

Tangible Words’ work resulted in a greatly increased number of bookings as well as increased efficiencies and decreased operating costs. The team is persistent and uses organization effectively to keep the strategy on track. They delivered innovative ideas that enhance the strength of their plan.

I’m the general manager for the tourism and recreation side of Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Reserve. We have two divisions, which complement each other: tourism and forestry. We have a wolf center on site, and we run dogsledding during the winter. We have accommodations on site including a restaurant and lodging.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tangible Words?

We’ve had challenges in the past using various marketing companies that promised results but didn’t deliver. We were one of the best-kept secrets in all of Ontario, Canada. We weren’t great at marketing ourselves and doing it consistently. Our shareholders wanted to see growth.

Our relationship with Tangible Words had multiple tiers to it. The first thing that they did was to develop a new company website. It allowed us to have more up-to-date content and pictures, and it brought us into the digital age of online booking. It was a challenge to find an online system that would work for such a diverse company, but they found one that matches what we need almost entirely. Tangible Words built the site from scratch, including the backend system. They had to decrease the content we had while ensuring that the new one covered everything we offer.

We were so pleased with the website and technology that they brought us, that we decided to sign on with them afterward for the development of blogs, social media posts, and more. We started focusing on how to draw traffic to our site and get more bookings. They use HubSpot for our social media.

They saw a hole outside of the scope of the contract in how we marketed ourselves. We had all these pieces, but we never connected them to make it easy for customers to book. Tangible has recently created packages with us encompassing all the add-on pieces. Instead of just booking accommodations, customers can also get family fun passes. The aim was to earn more revenue from customers who were already coming to our reserve. We’re looking forward to seeing how this will perform.

How did you come to work with Tangible Words?

I met Alysha (Founder and CEO, Tangible Words) during the Ontario Highlands Tourism Summitt (OH! Summit). I did a workshop with Alysha, and I was quite impressed with what she had to say. I knew that the stakeholders at my organization wanted exactly what she was talking about. I appreciated the meetings she held with us to explain the process before signing on the dotted line and paying. It gave us the confidence to move forward with them.

Their monthly fee is just above $3,000. Their services for the year cost $75,000, including the technology they hooked us up to—HubSpot and Checkfront.

We started the relationship in the spring of 2017 and launched the website in December 2017.

The fact that Tangible Words put our system together and made it look professional definitely helped. It hasn’t just saved us time and operating expenses, but it’s increased our bookings. Campsite bookings were a 100% phone-based system, and now they’re 80–90% online. Campsites that would’ve likely been empty are now full for the whole summer. This is the first time I’ve seen this in my nine years with the organization. The biggest benefits we’ve seen up to this point are online bookings and driving people to those bookings.

How did Tangible Words perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a great system in place, featuring reminders and constant emailing. They’ve been patient and professional and kept us organized. A huge hurdle on both sides was maintaining constant communication. They didn’t give up on us after not answering their emails.

We used to be inconsistent at maintaining our blog and social media, but now they have us well organized with the technologies and their team. They’ve created some outstanding blog content for us, and the call to action graphics they made are visually stunning.

Tangible Words’ strongest point is that they are a well-organized group. They use great tools, which make our work so much easier. They’ve trained me on these new technologies so I can use them in my everyday work as well. It’s easy for me to edit, approve, and move forward with projects.

I’m truly pleased with Tangible Words. They always hit the mark when they promise something. It’s outstanding to see the financial rewards of the work given that we’re not even a year into the project. Our name is getting out there, and people are booking. Our expectation was to increase our sales by $100,000 this year. The goal isn’t that high, and I think they’ll reach it.

I have a hard time with their social media posts when it comes to Facebook. Facebook seems to fall flat for us. This is partly because they’re using HubSpot, which doesn’t allow videos or multiple pictures; it’s confined to one picture per post. This said, the posts from the last week or two have driven quite a bit of traffic for us. We can communicate with them when we’re not happy about something.

The whole idea behind hiring Tangible Words was to decrease my workload, but I feel that the opposite is true because we’re at the beginning of the relationship and I have to feed them a lot of information. I hope that in the next year or two, they’ll be able to do things without me, and I’ll simply approve the work.

Clients should be prepared for a tight, quick turnaround. It’s a matter of 1–2 weeks to get the ball rolling. If you’re going to jump on with Tangible Words, be ready for the ride; it’s going to go crazy, but in a good way.

Content Marketing for Economic Development Organization

“We're very pleased with the results we're getting from them.”

Dec. 2012 - Ongoing

Assisting with marketing efforts, Tangible Words develops strategy and produces content for a website/social media and local media stations.

Chris King
CEO, Quinte Economic Development Commission

The traffic to the website has increased and social media engagement is on the rise. Tangible Words goes above and beyond to meet all expectations, while their professionalism and expertise help them deliver top notch content in a timely manner.

I'm the CEO of Quinte Economic. We're a regional economic development office, working on attracting new industries to our region and supporting our existing industrial base. We focus on the industrial food processing and technology sectors.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tangible Words?

We were looking for a company to help us with strategy development and content marketing for our website and social media platforms.

First, they assessed our customer base and the audience we were trying to target. Then, they developed a strategy and started producing content and other promotional items that we can use for our website, social media, blog, or give to the local media stations. We have regular meetings with them where we discuss the messages that we want to get out and work collaboratively to identify the topics and the local companies that showcase why investors should consider our region. We introduce Tangible Words to those companies when needed and they take over from there.

How did you come to work with them?

We met them at an economic conference where Alysha (Co-founder, Sales and Communications Specialist, Tangible Words) was speaking about content. I attended her workshop and many of the things she said resonated with my idea of content development. After several follow-up meetings, we realized that they would be a good match for our needs. We also bring them in for the projects that go beyond the scope of their work. For example, they helped us with a large labor market project for which we were doing a detailed report.

We spend around $15,000 a year, but that varies from year to year.

We started working with them in December 2012 and the relationship is ongoing.

They produce very strong content that is driving more traffic to our website, while our social media feed gets more hits. They did a lot of research to make sure they understand our industry and the sectors we focus on, so we were very pleased with that.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They're doing an excellent job and keep the information flowing. Sometimes, we're slow on our end, so Tangible Words has effectively helped us manage the workflow. They've provided us with an access to an online system where we can quickly make edits or leave our comments. We also get reminders through this system.

We appreciate that they help us get a strategy in place and give us fantastic content.

No. We're very pleased with the results we're getting from them.

Overall Score They're very professional and fun people to work with.
    If there is a delay, it's always on our end.
    We're happy with what they're doing for us.
    I've given dozens of referrals for them already.

Marketing Strategy for Economic Development Consulting Firm

“I can tell that they’re 100% committed to our success and are doing all that they can to ensure it.”

Tangible Words is pioneering an inbound marketing campaign to promote a new line of consulting services. They’re currently solidifying the sales pipeline, from identifying a target market to closing leads.

Toronto, Canada
Executive Vice President, Consulting Firm

Since implementing their campaign, Tangible Words has generated a remarkable number of prospective leads. They’re result-driven, offering strategic suggestions on pursuing opportunities. If there are any concerns, they’re able to accommodate the feedback and adapt their approach.

I’m the executive VP at a consultancy that specializes in economic development. We primarily work with municipalities, regions, provinces, and states to identify ways to improve their economies. In particular, we help them position themselves to be attractive to new business investments.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tangible Words?

We’ve developed four tools that are packaged solutions for our clients. By collecting unique local market intelligence on our clients’ behalf, we can use it to provide discrete services. This was our first foray into selling a packaged product that wasn’t a consulting service, so we needed a way to inform people about our new tools. As such, we approached Tangible Words to lead our inbound marketing campaign.

From a strategic perspective, they helped us clarify our target markets by developing personas. These personas broke down our target market’s needs and showed us how well our tools addressed those needs. In essence, they’d helped us identify our competitive advantage and cemented our sales proposition.

In terms of execution, they’re helping us build a sales pipeline. It’s no longer a question of identifying leads; rather, it’s about following up appropriately. When we started the project, we didn’t have an internal sales structure and lacked a process to be proactive in the marketplace. Traditionally, we won work by reacting to calls for proposal, so we weren’t used to dealing with inbound marketing campaigns. Now, they’re working with us to improve our internal workflows so that we can respond to new opportunities. They also develop communications for our social media channels to reach our contact base.

I work with their two co-founders who specialize in sales/communications and inbound HubSpot campaigns respectively.

How did you come to work with Tangible Words?

I’ve known one of the co-founders for a number of years through our mutual network in economic development. I’ve seen her at conferences and know people who’ve worked with her company. Once we decided to pursue inbound marketing, I knew that I needed to talk to her.

So far, we’ve spent about $4,514–$5,266 per month.

Their work began in January 2018 and is ongoing.

We’re currently receiving a huge uptick in opportunities thanks to their marketing strategies. From their efforts, they’ve noticed a strong interest in our services and tools. As such, we’ve targeted that market and have quickly gotten to the point where we have to manage the number of incoming leads. It’s now our responsibility to close them.

How did Tangible Words perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve recognized some of the challenges that we’ve had and are working to make sure that we’re not missing out on opportunities. I communicate with their co-founders on a daily basis, and we have a good relationship.

I can tell that they’re 100% committed to our success and are doing all that they can to ensure it. Even when the process doesn’t run as smoothly as we expect, they’re reactive to all of our concerns. No business relationship will ever go perfectly all the time, so it’s important to address problems as they come up. Tangible Words is responsive, and we always get the attention we need.

We’ve had a couple of concerns about some of the content they’ve written, but they’re dealing with that. We’ve been satisfied with their response to our issues over the past few months, so I wouldn’t highlight this as a negative. Rather, it’s part of the learning process when working with a client.

Overall Score There’s always room for improvement.
    It’s excellent.
    I’ve already recommended them.