Strategy Design & Development in Drupal & ReactJS

A focused service provider of Drupal site development, Drupal site support and management, and Drupal training. In a nutshell, SystemSeed is:

• Author of 30+ Drupal well used modules

Concern Worldwide

Bahamas

Jillians Michaels

Drupal Development for Nonprofit Organization

“SystemSeed is one of the best agencies I’ve worked with.”

Nov. - Dec. 2017

Based on a legacy site, SystemSeed designed and built a responsive landing page template and implemented APIs and third-party integrations. They continue to provide support services and they are currently developing the new global website.

Elena Sarmiento
Digital Communications Manager, Concern Worldwide UK

The new landing page has performed well, thanks to SystemSeed’s expertise. Their seamless project management, responsiveness, flexibility, and genuine interest led to positive results.

I’m the digital communications manager for the UK for Concern Worldwide, which runs programs around the world to support the poorest people in the poorest countries. I’m responsible for the digital strategy and the website development for the U.K. Even though we’re a global organization, digitally speaking we operate regionally.

What challenge were you trying to address with SystemSeed?

We wanted to develop a highly optimized landing page, with a distinctive look and feel from our individual giving program, Through to Two. Currently, our website is a copy of our parent organization in Dublin. It is a legacy website built on Drupal 7, so the original configuration was neither flexible nor optimized for marketing campaigns.

SystemSeed developed a landing page for our current website (Drupal 7), and they did it in a way that will be compatible with the new site architecture (Drupal 8) they themselves are developing for our global new website. They did frontend design and testing, and they made the landing page available as a template for both regions (UK and ROI). They also helped us liaise with our internal stakeholders so that the process went smoothly.

We’re working with a project manager and a series of developers.

How did you come to work with SystemSeed?

Our organization was already working with them when I came on board.

We’ve spent more than $50,000 on their services.

For the development, we worked together from November 2017 until December 2017. They continue to support our existing website and are currently developing our new website architecture in Drupal 8.

The landing page allowed us to be more autonomous and have a technical solution to scale that supported both marketing and fundraising efforts. The landing page they created is performing well, with a 20% increase in CTR.

They did more than development. They were so involved that they were helping me with my internal stakeholders. In the beginning, they met with key people and set expectations and goals for the project. Since everyone knew what the product was about, and goals were agreed in the kick off meeting, everyone was informed of the progress and I didn’t need to convince people at any point. Thanks to that approach, there were no delays or last-minute obstacles and we meet the deadline.

How did SystemSeed perform from a project management standpoint?

SystemSeed’s team is extremely available, as immediacy is a part of their service. There are no delays since they have an agile way of working. They are helpful and very transparent, giving accurate estimates of how long it would take to deliver a task.

We have a daily 15-minute call to discuss progress and a weekly support call to check our backlog and define the next sprint. We also communicate via Slack and Skype. During the landing page development, we had a weekly Scrum call with all key stakeholders involved from both regions.

During development, I could speak with the project manager, the UX designer or any of the developers at any time if needed.

SystemSeed is one of the best agencies I’ve worked with. They offer services beyond development, including UX, along with quite a bit of support to help your business. They’re very flexible, and they understand what we need as an organization and translate it into a technical solution.

I am very happy with their services so far, though they are perfectionists, and some projects could be approached in a less detailed manner.

If you’re managing a multibranded website or a multiregional platform, get in touch with SystemSeed. Let them do more than just development work.

I’ve recommended them to my previous manager since I believe they can help my previous organization with their website challenges.

Drupal Development for Collaboration Platform

"It just feels so good being in a partnership with them—we feel like we have struck gold with SystemSeed."

SystemSeed is developing a social learning platform from scratch using Headless Drupal and an agile methodology. Key features so far include a comment section with up voting and a personalized notebook.

Mankato, Minnesota
Hannah Burton
Project Manager, Krengeltech

Beta users have given positive feedback, specifically commenting on the platforms UI/UX. By using Headless Drupal, the team has been able to develop while users are on the platform without interruption. SystemSeed solves complications quickly, and clearly strives to add value wherever possible.

I am the project manager in the Anu division of Krengeltech. Kregeltech develops customized software solutions for a variety of different clients, and the Anu division is creating an online social learning platform

What challenge were you trying to address with SystemSeed?

SystemSeed was hired to help us develop our platform using Drupal. The platform is a social learning platform where learners can connect with other people in their company or industry.

SystemSeed has helped us build the platform from scratch using Headless Drupal. This allows for us to separate the front- and backend and gives us a lot of flexibility to develop while our end users can still use the platform without interruption. Using Headless Drupal meant we had to start the project over and build from the ground up, but it has been much more efficient.

The team also helped us develop a pretty robust roadmap with features such as a commenting system with up voting and a personalized notebook. They use an agile development strategy with scrum meetings, which has been a really valuable contribution.

I interact with their CTO and lead developer on a daily basis. We also work with their UX/UI frontend developer, and sometimes the company's CEO.

How did you come to work with SystemSeed?

Our in-house developer and SystemSeed’s lead developer are both based out of Minsk, Belarus, so we became connected through their relationship. We also knew a bit about them because they are very active in the Drupal community in terms of giving back and contributing to the Drupal core code.

About $30,000 a month. We are in a yearlong contract with them that will come out to around $360,000.

Our contract began in January 2018 and will run through the year’s end and possibly further.

We currently have around 300 end users piloting the platform in beta for one of our primary clients, and plan on rolling it out to many more clients this summer. So far we have received overwhelmingly positive feedback from the pilot users. They have commented on how great the look and feel is, especially compared to what we had before SystemSeed. I have also been pleasantly surprised about how many fewer emails I receive from users expressing confusion about the platform and where they should go to find specific content. I think that is truly a result of the easy navigation the SystemSeed team has created. A lot of people are really enjoying the platform and are able to simply login and know exactly where they need to go, which was our main goal.

Additionally, we have yet to have any bugs or crashes. We did have one security issue, but SystemSeed really helped us navigate out it. We were very pleased with how they responded and took ownership of the issue where it was needed.

How did SystemSeed perform from a project management standpoint?

They have been great. We most frequently communicate using Pivotal Tracker and Slack. We also have daily standups and weekly scrum meetings, as well as backlog grooming calls as needed.

Whenever I am talking to or about SystemSeed, I always say everyday feels like Christmas because each day more work has been done and they are always developing and improving. They are constantly looking for ways they can add value to what they are building, which means the world to us as we strive to provide excellent service for our clients. They are delivering better and better results on a consistent basis and it adds so much value to the products we can deliver. It just feels so good being in a partnership with them—we feel like we have struck gold with SystemSeed.

I could always use more UX/UI help. Their frontend UX/UI developer has added so much value to the team, but he just doesn’t have enough hours in the day to help us with everything. To be clear, I am really pleased with everything the developers do—I have never met a finer team—but we would love to have another frontend developer.

I would just give SystemSeed space to create. When this team puts their heads together and has a space free of pressure, they really come up with innovative and creative solutions that add value to whatever you are trying to create. They clearly love making people’s lives better by what they build. I think that if anyone working with them can provide their end users’ pain point, they will really want to tackle it to make the user’s life easier.

They are excellent at delivering what they say they will on time.
    They have added value in places we didn’t even think possible.
    They go above and beyond to make sure they are thinking of potential problems to solve ahead of time.
    I would refer them a million times over.

Custom Drupal Redesign & Development For International NGO

"I find them very honest, open, and flexible."

SystemSeed built a new website and CRM for a nonprofit. They provided data migration onto Pantheon, e-commerce integration, back-end development, testing, and information architecture.

Large Enterprise

Dublin, Ireland
Head of Digital, International NGO

With several years, the site has doubled online public contributions, boosted engagement by 300 percent, and improved search rankings. SystemSeed's wide business expertise and diverse talent pool allowed them to build a cohesive product. The team's work ethic and transparency set them apart.

Could you briefly describe your company?

Concern is an international NGO [non-governmental organization]. It was founded in Ireland more than 30 years ago, and currently works in 28 countries around the world. We work with the world’s poorest people to transform their lives. We work in three key areas: health, hunger, and emergencies.

I am the head of digital.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you initiated the relationship with SystemSeed?

We made a decision that we needed a new website. We had an outdated and functionally obsolete website. It didn’t have e-commerce capability or anything that we required. The design needed refreshing, too.

Tom Kirkpatrick [Founder of SystemSeed] came in to work with us on concern.net, which is our main corporate website. We had the design done with a separate agency, so he implemented all the design requirements and various elements that we needed through that content management system, and provided training and support to the team as well. He worked on campaign-specific websites for us, such as an event-driven campaign we run each year in Ireland, and another one of our fundraising sites called Show Your Concern.

Could you describe the scope of the project? For example, did it involve custom design, backend development, training, and ongoing support?

We have our own CRM system here, which is specifically used for fundraising. It’s a system used primarily in the U.K. We have a lot of data coming in that has to be incorporated into our CRM system. We asked them to look at security and how our hosting was, and to benchmark it. We’ve just moved to hosting with Pantheon in the States. These things required considerable backend development, data preparation and migration, system testing, information architecture, training, and support.

How did you select SystemSeed as your solution partner?

I wasn’t directly involved in the selection because I had a different role at the time. There had been a very thorough process, which I had been actually a part of as a stakeholder, where we distributed our RFP [request for proposal] to a few potential vendors. We received eight responses back. We evaluated and scored the proposals submitted and chose to introduce ourselves to four of the vendors. Our team went with an agency in the U.K., but their output was very disappointing. From what I recall as an observer, our team was running into project deadlines with entirely non-functional components. And much of what had actually been completed was of subpar quality. We were amidst a crisis because our campaigns were scheduled for launch and we’d already invested significant resources into the work. It was at that point that we terminated our contract with the other vendor and commissioned SystemSeed.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative in monetary terms?

The cost was €70,000 [approx. $95,000].

In terms of results, could you share any statistics or metrics that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they’ve delivered?

We’ve increased our digital reach significantly in Ireland, in the U.K., and some of those are content metrics. About 4 percent of an all-public income a few years ago would have come in through our site, whereas now we’re at hovering at 8 percent. Those numbers can reach 15 percent for certain humanitarian emergencies.

In terms of SEO, our search positioning has significantly improved. Engagement on our site has improved by 300 percent, too. And hosting costs for us have come down directly because of the work we’ve done with them – from hosting in Rackspace to moving to cloud servers, and then over to Pantheon.

When working with SystemSeed, is there anything you would consider unique or special about them compared to other vendors you’ve worked with?

I think they have great expertise. One of the things I like about SystemSeed is that you get access to a wide variety of expertise. Their team is well versed in technical areas and they also have very impressive business acumen. I find them very honest, open, and flexible.

In retrospect, are there areas that you think SystemSeed could improve upon, or are there things you might do differently as the client before approaching this type of project?

For us, and I don’t think that nonprofits are different from any business, since you’re always watching your bottom line. You can’t exceed the budget. Working harder to reduce the scope of our projects would be the only thing I’d do differently. There are times when at the end of a finished project you realize certain things, often expensive things, didn’t actually need to be done. That can be really frustrating when you’re working within the confines of a strict budget.

Excellent.

Drupal Maintenance and Support For Ministry of Tourism

"[T]hey take the time to understand whatever it is that you are asking them to do."

2013 - 2014

SystemSeed built a Drupal 7 site that handles travel and tourism planning. They provided performance and security audits, design, back-end development, bug fixes, maintenance, and training.

Midmarket

Bahamas
André Miller
Digital Media Manager, Ministry of Tourism

Drupal suits the organization's needs and provides a robust, flexible platform for users. SystemSeed typically responded to issues or requests within the day. Their team asked perceptive questions, precisely defined the project's objectives, and made valuable suggestions to improve the site.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

My organization is the marketing arm for the Islands of the Bahamas in terms of our number one industry, which is tourism. Our responsibilities vary in many different areas but, at the end of the day, our main objective is to increase stopover visitors or cruise visitors to the islands of the Bahamas via different means. My specific responsibility is focused on managing Bahamas.com, its email marketing, social media, and anything that relates to digital advertising.

My position is digital media manager.

The relationship with SystemSeed was initiated when we redesigned Bahamas.com. We had an agency of record at that time that did the redesign, and they were handling the website maintenance for us. When we severed ties, we found that SystemSeed had a much better position for us to partner with for the ongoing maintenance of Bahamas.com. That’s pretty much how they became our partner in terms of maintaining the site.

Is Bahamas.com operating on the Drupal content management system solution?

Yes. When we first brought them onboard, our site was running on Drupal 6. The website redesign was based on Drupal 7, and that's what they maintain for us now.

Could you describe the scope of the project? For instance, did it involve custom visual design, backend development, training, or support?

Pretty much all of the above. Just like any other website, we have certain things that we want to add so we can enhance the overall experience of using Bahamas.com. We work closely with them to create and deploy those enhancements. Also, they've been very efficient in troubleshooting and correcting anything that might be malfunctioning on the website. We really use them for an array of items, where it’s literally bug fixes, troubleshooting, exploration of new enhancements, and the best way to go about it to use the best industry standards within the Drupal ecosystem.

How did you select SystemSeed as your solution partner?

We went through a minor RFP [request for proposal] process where we selected individuals or companies that were vying for the business. Out of the companies that we had reviewed, SystemSeed was the one that won the account, and that was when the partnership was established.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative in monetary terms?

I couldn’t give you a historic number, but I can just tell you from an ongoing relationship perspective, our investment for the maintenance and what we do with SystemSeed is up into about $120,000 annually.

When was the project completed?

The most recent project completed with them was an audit of our new website, and it’s the acceptance of them to continue the maintenance of Bahamas.com, which was newly redesigned. They had to take a deep dive into the new site, how all the elements on the site work, integrate, and accurately assess how they would maintain the site moving forward.

They then conducted a performance audit and security audit. All of those were encapsulated or combined into one overall project. At that point, we moved forward with the work on our Drupal 7 site.

When was this project completed?

It began near the end of 2013 and was completed in early 2014.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they've delivered?

It’s kind of hard for me to give you a specific metric in terms of results, per se. What I can say is that their turnaround time is very efficient. Because we have this ticketing system that we use for these type of requests, whether it’s something that is a bug or an enhancement, they’re very responsive. Anything that’s submitted will get a response, definitely within the day. Depending on the issue and how critical it is, a lot of times things might be resolved within the same day or within a day or two. Things that are more complex take a little longer to resolve. But, at the end of the day, on average, I would say the majority of the items that we charge them with, they resolve with a sense of urgency.

Do you remain confident that Drupal meet your business needs currently and into the near future?

Yes. I do not have any lack of confidence within Drupal platform, especially because of how we are structured. I think we’ll have Drupal moving forward for a long period of time, unless something very impressive comes out that we feel is a much better fit for our organization.

When working with SystemSeed, is there anything you would consider unique or special about them compared to other vendors with which you’ve worked?

The thing that’s special about SystemSeed is that they take the time to understand whatever it is that you are asking them to do. They ask appropriate questions that ensure everything will be moving forward in the right way for the right reasons. They will offer insightful suggestions that could provide a better result. The point that I'm making is that they give us a justified query in some instances in order to make sure that it’s for the best interest of the website and also for the user experience. That kind of exchange is invaluable and healthy in our partnership.