Digital Product Strategy, Design & Development

We're a digital studio that creates products people love to use, from mobile apps for iOS and Android, to AppleTV, Web Applications, and even complex technologies like Machine Learning / AI.

We engage with clients through a rigorous consulting approach that distills your product to its core emotional elements, this lets us understand your user in a way that is unique.

Great products don’t exist in a vacuum. This is why we like to engage with clients in each phase of product strategy, design and development. We listen closely and speak creativity and honestly, our processes are open, where you're involved in every step, and are part of our team.

Great products also make a difference, and this is our goal. Our apps are often in the top 10, and almost exclusively in the top 100 of their respective categories, this is because we not only build technology, but understand the business around it. We look at market, opportunity, and marketability when working with you to make product decisions.

So if you're looking to build a business, reach millions of users, or develop a new technology, please reach out.

New York, NY
Headquarters
  • SWARM
    16 West 22nd
    New York, NY 10010

Golfmatch App

Discover local golfers, share golfing experiences, and play more golf!

Admitted.ly

Getting into college should be just as fun as being there.

College Sports Gameday Live

A media-centric mobile application intended to keep you up-to-date with the latest content from your favorite college sports teams.

Emojiface

Turn your selfie into fun, custom emojis!

CBS Sports Apple TV App

Your one-stop sports app.

Blue Planet Environmental

Offers innovative, efficient, and scalable products and services to the most pressing water management challenges.

Quidd

Collect & Trade Stickers, Trading Cards, Emojis, Collectibles, and More!

Fresh EBT

Check your food stamps and cash balance instantly with FreshEBT!

Dev and Information Architecture for Social Media Platform

"It was a seamless, straightforward process, and I'm satisfied with SWARM."

Mar. - Oct. 2016

SWARM developed a personalized social media app from end-to-end for iOS. They provided a useful information architecture process, along with the design, upkeep, and quality assurance of the app.

Founder, Social Platform

The launched app has received five stars and positive user feedback in the App Store, along with positive media attention. SWARM was receptive to feedback at all stages of production, and all deadlines were met. Communication was open, and SWARM constantly provided progress updates.

We are a new social platform currently available on iOS. We provide a couple of new features which differentiate us from the other social platforms on the market. The main ones are that users can post in their own handwriting and create their own emojis. We're trying to add extreme personalization for our members.

I am the founder and CEO of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with SWARM?

We knew that the fundamentals of messaging could be done easily, but we didn't know whether the two unique differentiators we were trying to add were technologically feasible. They were able to answer an incredibly important question, product viability.

Our challenge hadn't been done before, but SWARM did a superb job of testing our platform over a quick one-month run. I've worked with overseas contractors, and there was not a lot of transparency upfront in terms of discovery processes. SWARM prioritized the most important part for us, which is viability.

The second phase was a general wireframing and information architecture process, during which we saw how all the pieces fit together. We went into a design and actual engineering phase, followed by quality assurance and upkeep, making sure that all features were working within industry standards. SWARM provided full services for the production of our app. Our platform is iOS-exclusive.

How did you come to work with SWARM?

I work in New York City and have been involved in past tech startups. I reached out to local connections and got some recommendations. SWARM was referred to me by a successful NYC tech startup founder.

How much have you invested with SWARM?

The full scope of the project was between $50,000 and $200,000.

We started working with SWARM in March 2016. The project was finalized in October of the same year.

The app has five stars on the App Store. We've received some brief write-ups in publications including Product Hunt, which is focused on new products, and reached the front page of Reddit. We've seen a mix of traditional media attention and generic user review feedback, which was also positive.

How did SWARM perform from a project management standpoint?

SWARM assigned a project manager for us and set up tools for keeping us up to date on the design and development progress. We were brought in for every stage and could post feedback on what we did and didn't like. We knew what our deadlines were for each task, and could communicate directly with each team member.

What did you find most impressive about SWARM?

SWARM was able to undergo a technological feasibility/discovery process. They have a lot of depth in terms of tech talent, and I don't believe that another firm would have been able to tackle many of our more technical questions.

Are there any areas SWARM could improve?

No. It was a seamless, straightforward process, and I'm satisfied with SWARM.

We met deadlines.
    SWARM was upfront about any scope changes, and explained why they occurred.
    In terms of design, SWARM was patient and open-minded to our changes. They constantly provided several versions of everything we were looking to build. Engineering-wise, there was some very fast turnaround, compared to my previous engagements.
    I've already recommended SWARM to two people.

Mobile App Design & Development for App Startup

"Their design is above and beyond anyone else I've seen in New York."

SWARM improved the design and development of an iOS app. They have already been selected to complete a new version of the app, and currently work on various one-off projects.

New York City, New York
Dan McLean
CEO, EmojiFace

Downloads of the app increased from 100,000 to 400,000. SWARM delivered exceptional project management and high quality work for a great price. They maintained efficient scheduling, response time, and communication.

EmojiFace is an app startup that allows users to take a photo of themselves and turn it into an emoji that looks like them. Users are able to send this emoji on any application.

I am the CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SWARM?

I needed help improving the app. What I had built was very basic and wanted to bring them in to design and build out a better version.

They did both design and development on iOS. I didn't want to do Android yet.

How did you come to work with SWARM?

I believe I found them on Clutch. I called and had a great conversation with the founder of SWARM. I had the most faith in them because they were high-end without being incredibly expensive. I felt it was the best deal for the price I was paying and the quality I could get out of it.

I spent about $50,000.

I'm working with them on one-off projects now. I'm currently in the process of raising money to build out a new version and will be using them when I have that money.

We had a lot of growth after we released their version. We were probably at 100,000 downloads before and now we're at 400,000.

How did SWARM perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great with regard to project management. SWARM was the best among any firm I've worked with. Their scheduling, response time, and general communication were all great.

What distinguishes SWARM from other providers?

Their design is above and beyond anyone else I've seen in New York. That's their strength.

Is there anything SWARM could have improved or done differently?

No. It was very smooth. I didn't have any issues.

Much more reasonable than the top app firm, but I think they're worth it. It's the same quality.
    They delivered on time, and I was happy with what came out.

Restaurant App Strategy and UX/UI

"We've worked with a couple agencies, and SWARM is the one that seems to care about the final product the most. The quality of service is good."

The client is Matchbook, an application startup located in New York City. The client was in need of a partner that could help improve their user retention rate and re-engage users. This client partners with SWARM for strategic application guidance and user experience/user interface design.

New York City Metro Area
Gustavo Saume
Lead Software Developer, Matchbook

The client is extremely satisfied with their partnership with SWARM. The client highly recommends SWARM for their interest in client success.

Our company is called Matchbook. We have an iOS app that lets users save restaurants – either restaurants they love or want to try. It's about closing the gap between the restaurant owner and the patrons.

I'm the lead software developer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SWARM?

We were having problems with user retention. We wanted to find ways to get users back into our app. SWARM has been really great and helpful in improving our retention rate.

SWARM provides mostly strategic guidance and a little bit of UX/UI [user experience/user interface] design help for us.

How did you come to work with SWARM?

We are actually based in a co-working space with SWARM. We both are in the same area. After talking with them, we were sure they could help us.

I don't have those numbers for you.

We are rolling out some emails to the users. We've been getting good responses. We actually submitted the second one yesterday. The first one we sent was around 20 percent. That was a month ago. We have more than 20 percent this time. It's improving already.

What distinguishes SWARM from other providers?

SWARM is a great small team. It's great to interact with them.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve or things you might do differently?

From the experience we had with them, we're happy.

It's always been perfect. We are in the same office.
    SWARM has been valuable. Our biggest pain point is getting users to stay and, after a few months with them, they have helped us to improve.

Mobile Development for College Admittance Application

"Their focus and expertise on UX/UI design is what really sticks out. As someone unfamiliar with the mobile world it was nice to have SWARM help guide our strategy"

The client is Jessica Brondo Davidoff founder of Admitted.ly. Admitted.ly is a platform focused on connecting high school students with colleges and universities that would be a good fit for them based on their interests and G.P.A. Admitted.ly was in need of a business partner who could help take their web-based platform and move it to mobile. This client interviewed mulitple service providers and found that SWARM best fit their budget and timeline. This project was completed on-time and under initial cost estimates. Jessica at Admitted.ly still looks to SWARM for all of their mobile needs and for guidance of their mobile strategy.

New York City Metro Area
Jessica Brondo Davidoff
Founder, Admitted.ly

This client is extremely satisfied with her partnership with SWARM.  This client highly recommends SWARM for their dual focus on backend development and exquisite attention to UX/UI design. This client also mentions that SWARM was a great partner to have as a client unfamiliar to the mobile world.