Complex Web & Mobile Solutions. Chatbot Apps

SumatoSoft is a software development company specializing in development of rather challenging and complex web, mobile and chatbot projects.

Since 2012, we’ve delivered compelling solutions for such companies as Toyota & Lexus, Evolv, Nectarin, MyMediAds, Sous Kitchen, Boxforward and others.

We offer full cycle software development, starting from raw ideas analysis and resulting in end-to-end business systems fully adjusted to customer needs and ready to work.

We build our development process on the Agile principles of transparency and collaboration with our clients. We strongly believe that our clients should have a heavy hand in the product development from the very outset to the fully-functioning piece of software.

SumatoSoft mission is to enhance the clients' businesses by designing, developing, implementing and maintaining highly efficient and quality software solutions.

Minsk, Belarus
Headquarters
  • SumatoSoft
    Kuprevicha str. 1/5, 301
    Minsk
    Belarus
    +375 (29)6255178

Toyota Custom ERP/CRM System

Scalex is an ERP system developed for the Business Car Group, the largest car dealer, representing such brands as Toyota and Lexus in Russia. The company has lots of sales and maintenance centers across the country.

To automate the work with clients, we have developed the most popular module - CRM. The module includes virtual desktops for each employee role interacting with the dealer's clients. The desktop includes the a set of tasks concerning customer support. For services and documents circulation automation we have developed such modules as "Service", "Spares", "Accounting".

After the implementation of the CRM module many company's processes of selling and servicing cars were automated, the company has reduced the operational costs, hastened sales cycles and improved customers retention rates.

Mediatron

Mediatron is a web service developed for Nectarin, one of the leading digital agencies in Russia. It is a professional web service for digital marketers who want to increase online advertising effectiveness and automate daily routine of ppc campaigns management.

Mediatron service gathers all possible data from 3 main systems: Google Analytics, Google Adwords and Yandex Direct.

Moreover, thanks to the Mediatron's autobidding strategies users have a possibility to optimize and improve ad campaigns performance.

Mediatron should help our client to increase its current market share and to gain additional competitive advantage.

MyMediAds - Social Network for Digital Marketers

MyMediAds is a web platform for finding online marketing partners and posting jobs in online marketing sphere.

Sous Kitchen – Making Food Delivery Business Effective

Sous Kitchen is a popular online service of homemade food delivery in the USA. The company works in California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington and Utah.

We have recently deployed a new version of the application with functionality outstripping the old solution and corresponding to all modern trends in e-commerce.

The company plans to increase the business profitability thanks to the improvements in customer retention (gift, bonuses) and attraction of new clients. Moreover, the new system will allow reducing operating costs and improving operational efficiency.

Adresok - Real Estate Web Service Development

AdresOK is a web service for search of property for rent and sale. The service developed for both individuals and entities.

Boxforward Freight Forwarding Logistics Web Service

Boxforward (former NYCMSK) is a freight forwarding logistics web-service. Using this service, customers outside the US can order various goods on a par with the US citizens, form a single parcel and send it by any transport means.

Shop And Ship LLC has released the updated version of its service. Thanks to the work done by SumatoSoft, the Client observes the following improvements in the application:
- The service performance has increased;
- Better work on high load;
- The service usability has been improved;
- Transactions are secured and meet all modern requirements to
online payment systems;
- The system can be easily extended with new functionality in future.

HAUZ: Interior Portal and E-Commerce Platform

HAUZ  is an interactive web portal and e-commerce platform allowing users to find inspirational ideas for interior design, buy furnishings and find specialists who would help them to realize the ideas.

One of the main features of the web service is the possibility to snap objects in the photos to real goods and services in interactive mode.

We have built a web portal which divides all service functionality among the following types of users: sale managers, specialists and visitors.

Simplawyer–Legal DMS and E-Commerce Platform

Simplawyer is a web-based service enabling small and midsized companies to create single-type documents by means of native UI.solution, the Client managed to find and take the market niche, to reduce operating costs of users’ businesses and, consequently, to increase its own income. Introducing new features and modules, the company gaines additional revenue streams and increases regular customers’ loyalty.

Human Resource Management System Development

The Client (NDA) is a startup from the USA, which has successful experience of implementing and selling SaaS systems. This time the company aimed to develop a fully functional HRM system.

As a result, the company extended its SaaS services line with an HRM system which allowed the Client to enter the market of HRM service providers and to increase sales per customer by offering the service to the clients using other solutions of the company.

The product is successfully put on the US market. At this stage, the Client is undertaking extensive marketing activities and planning new functionality implementation.

Evolv: Facebook Profiles Analyzer

Evolv (today Cornerstone OnDemand), one of leading companies in Big Data arrays analysis and human resources management, studies the employees' effectiveness at all stages, from hiring to dismissal in big corporations.

The project has successfully been released and now it is undergoing the hypothesis check by the customer's experts. The system has already analyzed thousands of Facebook profiles. Data about users' interactions in Facebook are gathered automatically and stored in the form convenient for the analysis.

Thanks to the system, the company plans to gain additional revenue stream, get competitive advantage, and increase of the market share by providing unique service for human resource managers.

CRM System Testing

Our Client (NDA) is a startup owning several SaaS systems, including a big CRM system written on .Net. The Client faced the necessity to adjust automatic testing process.

The measures taken by the developers after the stress testing allowed improving data integrity in the system and increasing the peak load up to 42% without the infrastructure change.

As a result, the client managed to reduce costs on the system maintenance, increase customers loyalty and increase its market share.

Selfiest – Mobile Back-end Development of Instagram Competitor

Jean Baptiste Fort is a European fashion and advertising photographer. He has worked with such clients as Vogue, Elle, Hola, Fhm, L'officiel, etc.

Jean has decided to make an Instagram-like mobile application, which would allow making, editing and sharing selfies-photos and getting a very detailed statistics about the popularity of these photos.

Born to Be Young – Turning Online Shop into Social Network

Born to Be Young is an online shop for selling clothes for children. Born to Be Young had all the features typical of modern online shops. However, the owner wanted to get a competitive advantage by developing a unique social network for buyers and integrating the service with existing popular social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc)

The client received a collateral e-commerce application with rich functionality, including elements of a social network (commenting, voting, subscription, chat, etc), making Born to Be Young a fully functional shop different from the competitors'.

E-Commerce Platform with WeChat Social Network Integration

The client's aim was to develop an e-commerce platform that could be integrated with WeChat, a popular social network is Asia. WeChat allows integrating all the functionality of online magazines into the social network.

The customer received a sophisticated e-commerce application with rich functionality and deep integration with the WeChat social network.

The client is planning to launch the solution to the market in near future.

Custom Rails Development for P2P Marketplace Startup

"It felt like [they were] working next door because their project manager was always keeping me updated."

July 2016 - Feb. 2017

SumatoSoft first developed an e-commerce platform according to detailed specs supplied by SellBig and then added a custom blog to it.

Sacramento, California
Benjamin Dorsinvil
Founder & CEO, SellBig

Since its 2016 launch, the site has grown to support 46 stores with over 14,000 products. Users have not reported any crashes, bugs, or other functional defects and they regularly compliment the new design.

I’m the founder and CEO of SellBig, an e-commerce platform that allows people to post individual products for sale or create an online store where they can sell their products. Our platform is similar to Etsy, Amazon, or eBay.

What challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

I was looking for a company that could help me build an e-commerce platform.

SumatoSoft custom designed the backend of the website using Ruby on Rails, and they used HTML5 and JavaScript to build the frontend. We knew what we wanted the website to look like, but we didn't have anything built for it. I sent SumatoSoft documents that described the look I was going for, and they were able to design and build the website based on my notes. I did a lot of research into what features I wanted on the homepage and the inside pages of the website.

I talked to the project manager—who was my main point of contact throughout the process—and she assembled a team. Once the designer finished a preview of the website, they sent it to me, I approved it, and then they began coding and building the platform. The website is the only project SumatoSoft has done for me, although I’ve hired them twice. The first time I hired them to build the website, and the second time I hired them to add more features, such as blog functionality.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

I searched nationally and internationally for companies that could complete the project. SumatoSoft was able to work for me at an affordable price, which was one of the reasons I chose them.

How much have you invested with SumatoSoft?

I think I have invested $40,000–$60,000 with SumatoSoft.

I worked with SumatoSoft for at least 6 months. We started working together in July or August 2016. The first version of the website was launched in November 2016. I then asked them to build a blog in January, and they finished that in February. We’re not working together at this time.

The website launched on November 21, 2016. It’s new, but so far we have 46 stores on the website and over 14,000 products listed. Sales are a little low, but they’re slowly increasing. I’m working on improving the sales aspect of the website, but I would say the range of sales is between $500 and $1,000.

We haven't received any fix requests from the website’s users. Most of the requests I receive are about adding more categories so the users can add more items. We have not had any bug issues, crashes, or issues with the website since we launched it, and I’ve received a lot of compliments about the website’s design.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m not sure how many people from SumatoSoft worked on my project, but their communication was wonderful. We used Skype and email, and I mostly spoke with their project manager—a great person who worked with me throughout the process. She was always looking for ways to cut costs because I had a small budget. We had a meeting once a week, and she sent me an email almost every day to keep me up-to-date on everything that was going on with the project. Even though they were located overseas, it never felt like it. It felt like they were in the United States because of the constant communication.

What did you find most impressive about SumatoSoft?

I was impressed by SumatoSoft’s prices, especially for the project I wanted to do and in comparison to the quotes I received from a lot of other companies. Also, their communication skills were great; it never felt like a long-distance project. It felt like SumatoSoft was working next door because their project manager was always keeping me updated. Initially, I was afraid of going with an overseas company because they don't have to abide by US law, but I had a good project manager who made it seem like they weren’t an overseas company.

Are there any areas SumatoSoft could improve?

I honestly can't think of any way SumatoSoft could improve.

I called a lot of companies in the US to ask them how much a project of this magnitude would cost, and they quoted me $100,000 or $200,000. SumatoSoft was able to do the project for $40,000. I thought that was pretty good on their part.
    I would absolutely recommend SumatoSoft.

Prototyped Platform for Advertising Technology Firm

"They’ll propose new solutions or better ways of doing things, which is great."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

SumatoSoft developed an MVP and then transformed it into a full-fledged platform that lets businesses design custom banner ads and track key performance metrics.

Singapore
Co-Founder, Ad Tech Firm

SumatoSoft delivered a viable solution in an aggressive 2-month timeframe thanks to their organized approach and technical expertise. The assigned project team was professional, communicative, and contributed proactively wherever appropriate.

I’m the founder of a start-up that is working on an advertising technology platform that allows advertisers and agencies to create banner ads in the fastest ways without any design knowledge. Right now, it’s just me and my partner, so we have a small team.

What challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

I was looking for help with the architecture of my website. We don't have those skills, so it was necessary to find outsourced help.

I had my requirements established when I began working with SumatoSoft, so they went straight into the development. Based on the user stories, they came up with the first MVP [minimum viable product]. Our site includes an admin model; one that allows users to create their own banner ads and an engine tool to record impressions and clicks of the banner. The SumatoSoft team was composed of 3 people: 1 project lead and 2 developers. The CEO sometimes got involved as well, but the project lead had pretty good technical skills. I was mostly in contact with just the team lead, and I liked it that way. It made the conversation easier. They are still involved with me. After the MVP, they continued doing development work, albeit with a smaller team.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

I looked into SumatoSoft to help with our website. I looked at a few of their reviews on the internet and shortlisted 4–5 vendors I might want to work with. I can’t afford to hire my own people, so I needed to outsource people to help with the architecture ad so forth. From looking at reviews, pricing, and quality of deliverables, they had the best potential out of the other companies I looked into.

How much have you invested with SumatoSoft?

I cannot give that information.

We’ve been working together since early or mid-2016 and the work is ongoing.

The solution is live right now, and we already have a few clients. I still need help marketing it, but it’s live and it works. It took about two months to build, and it was delivered on time and within the specified budget.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

We used JIRA to collaborate during the project. We also have Google Docs and things like that.

What did you find most impressive about SumatoSoft?

They're very customer-oriented. They’ll propose new solutions or better ways of doing things, which is great.

Are there any areas SumatoSoft could improve?

Since we moved into the maintenance status, I’m paying them an hourly rate. That makes it hard to determine the scope and the cost involved.

API Integration & Ongoing Support for Online Cruise Scheduling Tool

"They’re willing to admit when they make a mistake and then they fix it, which is rare nowadays."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

SumatoSoft's engineers help the company maintain and enhance a digital distribution platform that lets its paying users create and access original content.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
IT Coordinator

SumatoSoft brings uncompromising responsiveness and transparency to the table.

Widgety is a content provider for the tourism, cruise, and travel sectors. It’s a new way of marketing your content in detail to have it advertised on other websites. We have companies that have attractions and cruise operators put their content on our system and then we allow other websites in search of content to tap into it. I’m the main IT coordinator with the developers.

What challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

We needed help upgrading and adding features to our existing system.

SumatoSoft is our full-time IT company. We have 3 full-time developers from SumatoSoft. They maintain our website, and if any bugs come up, they can investigate and fix them. They provide any new development we want to be done in Ruby on Rails. The first project was the rebuild in Chameleon of one of our old websites, using a full integration of the API from our main platform. That’s what we used to test SumatoSoft to see if we could work with them, and it worked great, so we expanded the scope. They developed new fields and new features on the platform. We worked on a bulk uploader so people could bulk upload events and promotions, so it’s easier to use.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

We tried another company that one of our partners had used but they didn’t work out. I feel that SumatoSoft does a better investigation of what we’re asking for. They tell us how they plan to do a task and ask if that works for us. We chose them because their method worked with us. We could add on new developers as we needed.

How much have you invested with SumatoSoft?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000 with them so far.

We began working with them in November 2015 the work is ongoing.

I don’t have any specific metrics. We have more clients because our platform is constantly evolving, so people are more interested. We have fewer people contacting us about issues that our previous developer wasn’t willing to fix.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

At first, I was just working with one senior developer, but then as we ramped up, they started taking care of project management. We have daily Skype calls to support project flow. They use JIRA for project management and are able to send very detailed invoices. We also use Trello on our side and they’re able to move tasks to JIRA so it’s easier for them to manage.

What did you find most impressive about SumatoSoft?

We have more of a dialog than with our previous developer who was just a freelancer. SumatoSoft is willing to explain things and it helps that we’re working with them full-time. It’s like they’re an employee. They’re willing to admit when they make a mistake and then they fix it, which is rare nowadays.

I don’t think so.

Overall Score Project management is key with so many people working on the same project. They’re great about their work and they deal with issues.
    We had an issue with one of the projects, but it was one of the biggest ones. We should have put the deadline further to make it easier for them.
    Even if it doesn’t work, they’re quick to fix it.
    We have already recommended them.

Ruby Development for Marketing Software Startup

"The level of quality for our product has skyrocketed since [they've] come on board."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

SumatoSoft acts as an engineering partner by providing development services using the Ruby on Rails coding language. The agency sets up back-end infrastructure, specifically.

Germany
Co-Founder, Marketing Software Startup

SumatoSoft succeeds as a partner by offering creative solutions and raising the quality of product offered. Particular praise is awarded to SumatoSoft’s team, which is described as talented and personable. The agency’s excellent performance ensures an ongoing partnership.

Our company is based in Germany and specializes in developing a software-as-a-service solution that monitors a company's competitors, specifically their social media and content marketing output.

I am the chief technology officer of the company. I am in charge of directing the development of the product as well as coming up with a vision and strategy for our product development team.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

SumatoSoft acts as our entire engineering team, aside from me and our front-end developer.

SumatoSoft is developing our back-end system using Ruby on Rails. Specifically, they are in charge of setting up infrastructure, coming up with proposals for implementing faster database queries and everything in between. We engage strictly in development work with SumatoSoft.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

My cofounder and I called up numerous companies in Belarus, Ukraine, and Bulgaria, which offered development services, SumatoSoft being one of them. We found most of those companies through Google searches. SumatoSoft had had high reviews and their engineers seemed to be smart, respectable, and decent people. They've done a fantastic job since we hired them.

The annual cost of their services is estimated to be $120,000.

There is no end-date to our collaboration. We feel that SumatoSoft is a part of our team. They work 40 hours per week for us and are included in all of our team-wide standup meetings. We started working together in the middle of January 2016.

It has been a very successful move on our part. We hired SumatoSoft for a few reasons, the main one being that we knew we needed more engineering muscle, and we needed to obtain it fast. It was important to me that we didn't compromise the company culture. Whomever we hired needed to be cooperative with other departments and generally pleasant to be around and to speak with as well as to have a concern for the team. SumatoSoft ticked all of our boxes, and I'm very happy that we chose them.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

The level of quality for our product has skyrocketed since SumatoSoft has come onboard. They brought a lot of experience and expertise, at the same time finding creative solutions for us. We encountered the need of having quickly accessible numerical data. I had my own ideas about this, but I asked SumatoSoft for their opinion, which proved to be the best route. I've been very happy with their output. The feeling of quality and polish in our product is beyond quantifiable metrics.

What distinguishes SumatoSoft from other providers?

I never discussed this with the head of SumatoSoft, but I've had the impression that he makes an effort to select good, pleasant resources for us. In the software development world, it's easy to find cowboys and generally arrogant people, but SumatoSoft has a very humble team, and they've been very compatible with our company.

I'm very impressed with SumatoSoft's ability to recruit talent. From what I've determined, they don't have a giant pool of engineers. They're very selective in terms of who they bring onboard, which reflects in the quality of their work and how they collaborate with each other. They want to do a great job and working with SumatoSoft has been an absolutely positive experience.

Is there anything SumatoSoft could have improved or done differently?

I can't think of anything. My relationship with SumatoSoft is maintained through the three resources we have there. They've all been great, along with the head of their company.

Overall Score I'm hesitant to give a perfect score to anyone, unless they've been absolutely on point. I've been very happy with the business relationship we have with SumatoSoft. They've helped us a lot in moving our product and company forward.
    On Monday, I put together the specs for a project that was supposed to be completed the following Tuesday. Approximately 90 percent of the work is already completed, so SumatoSoft has been on top of the job.
    Given the level of skill, energy and passion that they've shown, I doubt that we'd be able to find a similar company to SumatoSoft on the Berlin market.
    I'm hesitant to give a perfect score, but SumatoSoft has constantly delivered high-quality, elegant code to us. I'm a stickler for this, but they've not disappointed me.
    I would not hesitate to recommend them to a noncompetitor.

Web Development for Entrepreneurial Startup

"I think they were great advisors early on when we weren't ready with a fully fleshed idea that could go to market."

SumatoSoft acted as an expert agile web development partner by building out a platform and ensuring that it was robust, reliable, and scalable with ample functionality.

New York City Metro Area
Co-Founders, Crowdfunding Startup

SumatoSoft exceeded expectations by delivering high quality work and effectively contributing to the business concept. The agency displayed comprehensive knowledge of the industry and startup scene that enabled them to offer actionable advice and inspire confidence.

We have a crowdfunding startup that connects entrepreneurs and allows them to help each other get funding. We want to improve the world of small business. Crowdfunding is becoming more popular and regulations and developments in the community are fluid.

The two founders of the company are trying to build the company with a technology team's help. The core of the company is the web platform that must be monitored 24/7.

We needed an expert agile web development team from any geographic location to support us and build out the platform. We needed something that was robust, reliable, and would scale. We needed to interview teams and make sure we were confident in their abilities. I also need to mention that we need tons of functionality to do financial transactions and connect people socially.

We had a rigorous process to interview firms around the globe. We used Clutch because it had fantastic independent reviews that we could trust. I want to mention that we used the Clutch review process, and it was spot on to pick SumatoSoft out of a list of five short-listed companies.

We loved the SumatoSoft leadership team and trust their honesty and good values completely. They are a great technical team that handles agile development and many languages in fantastic fashion. We trust them fully and want them to build out our platform for years.

Sumatosoft is great in every regard including costs, professionalism, transparency, and willingness to guide. I think they were great advisors early on when we weren't ready with a fully fleshed idea that could go to market. They know the business and startup scene as well globally.

They did a great job hitting cost estimates and are a bargain for quality. They also helped our business concept greatly. We are confident in our plan and future in the hands of SumatoSoft.

Rails Developed Solution for Internet Startup

"They really know what they're doing."

Sumatosoft developed custom software for a pre-existing site using Ruby on Rails. They are currently developing additional features.

Vadim Baltman
Co-Founder, MyMediAds

The upgraded website received positive feedback from users, and site traffic has doubled. Sumatosoft’s project management was outstanding, and they consistently delivered work on time. Though the project is still underway, the team has met all expectations and delivered clean code.

We are a professional social network for online marketers. We're similar to LinkedIn, but are a more exclusive community, aimed at specific professionals.

I am the co-founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

We needed development work for our site, which we could not do alone because we don’t have the technical skills. We wanted to find a cost-effective solution so we decided to find an offshore provider.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

SumatoSoft developed custom software for us using Ruby on Rails, working on both design and coding. They based their work on our specific requirements and the beta version of the site, which had been developed by a different firm.

We've worked together on a single project. It is a complex task with many functions.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

I searched for development companies and made comparisons between different options in the US, Great Britain and so on. SumatoSoft was far less expensive than most other alternatives and they seemed to offer great value for the price.

The total cost of the project so far has been $35,000.

The first stage of development has been completed. The site is online, and we're continuing to add features.

The website is working well at this moment. Since launching the new version of the site, the traffic has doubled. Our users haven't experienced any technical issues and are generally satisfied with the website.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

Delivering on time is important to me, and SumatoSoft has been great in this respect.

What distinguishes SumatoSoft from other providers?

Our previous development collaboration was a disaster, but working with SumatoSoft has been completely opposite. They really know what they're doing.

I've already recommended them.

Rails Developed Add-on Features for IT Startup

"I would recommend SumatoSoft to people looking for good developers outside the U.S."

Sumatosoft was initially contracted to upgrade existing features for a Ruby on Rails e-commerce site. The project's successful completion led to of development of additional features.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Founder & CEO, SalesBump, Inc.

Sumatosoft’s involvement has created a much more stable system, and the new features have better positioned the site to generate revenue. Sumatosoft’s communication and talent has been so effective, there was no need for a code review. Their quick response to emergency helped keep the site running smoothly.

My company is an e-commerce content marketing platform.

I'm the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SumatoSoft?

We hired SumatoSoft to perform specific feature upgrades to our site.

Our e-commerce site is built with Ruby on Rails. We had to look at existing code, retest, recheck, and do a whole bunch of QA [quality assurance] for it. We first had to improve the reliability of the existing features. Once we felt comfortable with them doing that, we requested that they add some features that we needed, and that has turned out reasonably well so far.

How did you come to work with SumatoSoft?

We have been working with a bunch of U.S. developers, but we found that they are way too expensive and not that good. I interviewed companies in Hungary, Poland, Ukraine, and India. SumatoSoft was part of that mix, and we decided to give them a try. The other company wanted two months of code review, which didn't make a lot of sense to me.

We're in the range of $10,000 to $50,000.

The most recent milestone completed was last night [August 2015], and we're still working with them.

I don't have any real statistics to share with you. The system is much more stable now that we are working with SumatoSoft. We've added a bunch of new features that we really needed, and we're now in a much better position to generate revenue.

How did SumatoSoft perform from a project management standpoint?

For the most part, the work has been reasonably good. I am doing a lot of the QA right now, just because it's the only way to see how good they are. We've had a few hiccups but, for the most part, it's been reasonably OK. When we did have an emergency, they responded within an hour. The system is something that has to be up and running 24/7 because it's running ads, and I'm hoping that they can provide emergency support going forward. We haven't talked about that with them yet.

What distinguishes SumatoSoft from other providers?

SumatoSoft was the only company that listened to me and didn't think it was necessary to do a code review. They put a reasonably good engineer on our project, whose English is very good.

Is there anything SumatoSoft could have improved or done differently?

The only issue I'm having right now is I'm up 24/7 because they start working at 1 o'clock a.m. my time. I also wished they did a little more QA. They're reasonably good at QA, but who doesn't want their code to be perfect?

Overall Score So far, so good. We're in the process of trying to figure out what else they will be able to do for us right now, but it's going to take a little bit of work to massage that and get it right.

Home Improvement Web Portal Development

"They keep their word and they care about the results."

Unhappy with their current service provide, the client hired SumatoSoft for Web services and development of an application. SumatoSoft developed and launched the basic version of a portal MVP and is working on the next version.

Belarus
Founder & CEO, IT Firm

The client is pleased with the app's performance. SumatoSoft took a personal approach to the project, providing detailed information and feedback to ensure the client chose the right platform and was confident in their decision.

Please briefly describe your organization?

[We are] a Web startup from Belarus, Minsk. [Our company] is a directory of ideas, goods, and services for home improvement and repair. Our service gathers a wide range of goods and service providers in one place to save time and money of users looking for new ideas and opportunities for their realization.

I’m a founder and CEO.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached SumatoSoft?

When we started working with SumatoSoft, we had already had a working prototype of the website developed by another company. However, we were not satisfied with the quality of Web services they provided and with the quality of the application we were developing. So, we decided to change a service provider.

The application should be convenient in use for people looking for inspirational ideas for their house design and the easiest and fastest way to find goods and service providers for these ideas realization.

How did you come to choose SumatoSoft as your partner?

We made a list of Web development companies. Choosing our vendor was based on a number of criteria, including development experience with similar projects, their approach and development methodology, and price rates.

When we reached out to SumatoSoft, their attention, deep understanding of our business needs and professional approach to our project made the choice of service provider obvious.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement in greater detail?

First, we released the basic version of the portal [MVP] to prove the viability of the business idea. SumatoSoft team was responsible for development, testing and support of the application.

Today our UX/UI [user experience/user interface] designer has made a new design. SumatoSoft is working on the next version of the portal, implementing new design and extending its functionality.

What specific technologies were used?

When we were looking for a Web development team, we did not know for sure which technology to use. SumatoSoft specialists showed us that Ruby on Rails would allow us to develop the portal faster and at a lower cost. Moreover, it would be easier to maintain and expand it later.

Do you maintain an ongoing relationship with them?

How is the software or technology performing? Where is it meeting or not meeting expectations?

It is performing just the way it should and we expected it to. As I mentioned before, we don’t regret choosing Ruby on Rails as the basis for our portal development. It works fast, it is easier and cheaper to extend the functionality, and we work with a great team, which know how to get the maximum from Ruby.

What advice would you give someone else considering this software or technology?

When we were choosing a service provider, SumatoSoft experts explained all pros and cons of using Ruby on Rails for our project as well as all pros and cons of alternative technologies. They showed us that technology should be chosen taking into account the explicit needs of business and the main objectives. So, we made a choice we never regretted.

Did they cover the agreed scope and deliverables in the agreed schedule and budget?

Yes, they did. That’s one of the reasons why I can call SumatoSoft a reliable partner.

Is there anything unique or special about their service?

They really keep their word. They internalize their clients’ problems as their own, they do keep their word, and they do care about the results. That’s what I call a truly personal approach, and it really helps build trust.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

I can’t really think of anything off the top of my head. The whole working process was smooth and logical. Even if problems appeared, we worked on their solutions as one team having one goal. We've been very impressed with their work.

Very likely.

Software Development for Russian Digital Agency

"They are unique because they help the client reach their long-term goals with great advice. "

SumatoSoft provided software development services. The purpose of the partnership was to create software capable of managing all ads from one interface.

Russia
Department Manager, Russian Digital Agency

SumatoSoft built Web-based software that proved capable of efficiently managing Adwords, Google Analytics, and Yandex Direct from one interface. The agency delivered quality work and exceeded expectations by also providing valuable education.

Our company is an advertising company in Russia that specializes in digital marketing. We provide online advertising services for our business clients. We are primarily using Google AdWords and Yandex Direct search engine marketing. We have about 100 employees.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the head of the optimization department.

What was your goal for working with SumatoSoft?

We want to create Web-based software that can connect API [application programming interface] to Google AdWords, Google Analytics, and Yandex Direct. The software should accumulate all information from these three systems into one interface. The goal was to create software to manage all ads in one interface.

They do software development for us. The project team included three people from SumatoSoft and two people from our company.

What was your process for selecting SumatoSoft with which to work?

We asked many companies to do a presentation. There were two well-known Moscow companies who bid, but didn't beat out SumatoSoft. We chose SumatoSoft because they wanted to understand our goals more than the others. They created a proposal with very good details, and we could tell that they really cared about the project and were excited to create something new for us. We started to work with two other companies at an earlier stage but SumatoSoft is the best vendor we found.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative in dollar terms or a personnel work-hour figure?

It was around $100,000

When was the work completed?

The work is finished and the system is in production. We continue developing the software. It was developed during a seven-month period.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

Yes. We are absolutely satisfied.

Is there anything unique or special about SumatoSoft that really makes them stand out compared to other online marketing companies?

They are unique because they help the client reach their long-term goals with great advice. They have a proactive development team that offers regular suggestions. They gave us advice on how to do things better. They also helped our developers learn new methods. It was very good for our team. We understand better now how to develop software.

Not really. It was my first big project. I would have done things differently on our side as far as prototyping and testing.

App Development for Workforce Development Company

"[T]hey have the kind of team I can work with. They were upfront about everything that needed to be done."

SumatoSoft provided development and project management services. The agency’s task involved building a system to collect data and implement workflows using the Ruby on Rails coding language.

San Francisco Bay Area
Senior Director of Engineering at Workforce Development Company

SumatoSoft succeeded by delivering an effective project that worked as intended. The agency was praised for the quality of their staff and the directness of their communication. SumatoSoft also displayed integrity and proactivity by finishing under budget and offering valuable advice.

Please describe your company.

We do workforce development and collect data from external data sources, or we provide surveys for applicants and employees to fill out. Based on that data, we provide insights or suggestions on what people can do based on responses when you take a survey.

We suggest that clients hire or don't hire a particular individual, or potentially collect data to hypothesize whether they want to make the individual a manager or to determine if there’s a chance that this individual will quit sooner or later.

It's a very popular tool. A lot of companies are trying to do this type of analytics for HR [human resources] purposes. We're in Silicon Valley.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am a senior engineer. I operate in two areas. One is selection, the other is insight, and I'm responsible for the selection piece.

What was your goal for working with SumatoSoft?

We needed to develop a project that allows us to collect certain public data. In this particular case, we don’t use it because we need to go through the legal hurdles. We have to provide it to some of our science specialists that specialize in industrial psychology. We needed a wall that protects the company from not acquiring data that people don’t want you to acquire.

We need the same workflow that a real person would go through when collecting data. However, we need it in a more automated way, where someone who works in a psychology department can say that they want to collect the data from certain individuals. I want them all to say yes, that it's OK to collect that data. They get a link to go to the project that SumatoSoft developed for us, which says that we are about to collect someone's Facebook data from you if you do two things.

The first is providing me with the information I can use, so we have that information stored. Two, you have to log into your Facebook or give me a link to your public page. This way, we can collect the data from Facebook and we can present it to the scientist psychologist in a much more constructive way than just a Facebook page. The images in the background don't mean anything to me, but they mean something to a person with a Ph.D. in industrial psychology. Therefore, we need to collect that information and provide it in a more visible, easy-to-manage way.

That was the project. They collected the data for us, and they put the workflow in place. The reason we did not develop it with our internal resources is because we were a startup and didn’t have all the resources. Also, this project came in from a different budget, so it wasn’t an engineering resource.

SumatoSoft developed the system for us. It was a pure development project. As an engineering lead, I didn’t have time to be caught between the industrial psychologist and the developers. SumatoSoft took care of that completely and acted as a product manager. They got the complete specs, developed it, and it's in use now.

What was your process for selecting SumatoSoft with which to work?

I had worked with SumatoSoft and was aware of them already. A friend whom I work with, and whom I regard highly, suggested that they would be fast. This was the preferred way to go because it was quick with the development, and we could quickly go with the launch. That is why we outsourced the project.

It took about two months of work. We invested less than $10,000.

When was the project completed?

The project was completed in summer of 2013.

Are you satisfied with the results?

Yes. I am very satisfied with the results and the way it went. I would definitely work with SumatoSoft again. We are a complete Java shop, and SumatoSoft specializes in Ruby on Rails.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

I don’t know since I’m not the end user for the project. SumatoSoft built it for a science team. I was more of a coordinator of the project and made sure everybody understood it. The project works very well, and we're very happy with their work.

Is there anything unique about them that really makes them stand out, compared to other developers?

They are very sharp and have a high-quality team. I expect quality from people, and they have the kind of team I can work with. They were upfront about everything that needed to be done.

I appreciated that the cost of the project turned out to be smaller than what we expected because they made some very good suggestions. They are very pleasant to work with.

No. They were good.

Very likely. I have recommended them to people.