As a company, we’ve grown from a small vendor selling development “resources” to a highly-specialized software house offering Product Development as a Service (PDaaS), with Python (Django, Flask, Pyramid), Javascript (Angular, React, Backbone), iOS, Android and Agile methodology as our tools. This makes us a little different from your typical contract development companies.

What we do:

• We craft development teams and instill Agile best practices from the beginning.
  • We build working software sustainably and iteratively.
  • We set up open communication channels between development and product management.
  • We deliver according to your goals and timelines.
  • We continuously improve.

What we don't do:

• We don’t sell generic development resources.
  • We don’t predict 1-year deliverables.
  • We don’t stop development when your priorities change.
  • We don't insert needless management between you and our developers.

At STX we translate your ideas into successful digital products. Want to learn more? Contact us.

Founded:
12/5 Morawskiego Street
Poznań 60-239
Poland
+48 512 914 236

Coras, Hogarth Worldwide, Fusepump, Seerene, Vyze, StreetTeam, Retail inMotion, BetBright, KNMP, Paze, Decernis, Key Ingredient, T Dispatch, TB Seen  and more.

Client focus

Reviews of STX Next

Ongoing Python Dev for Financial Tech Company

Enterprise application development

STX Next developed a Python-based finance platform allowing users to explore and select possible corporate lenders. The engagement remains ongoing.

Key highlights include a clear commitment to quality assurance, well-organized project management, and the ability to brainstorm proactively with their clients. It was recommended that STX Next improve their use of tools like Jira.

"[They're] willing to learn and understand our business ... instead of just coding to our specs."

Sr. Engineering Manager

Austin, Texas

Average: 5 (1 vote)

I am the senior engineering manager of a financial technology company. We have a marketplace that ties together retailers and lenders. We empower folks to get finance at moments of need when they are shopping. We offer a full spectrum of lending to people from various financial backgrounds, including prime markets and ones with lesser ratings.

What challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

Our core API [application programming interface], as well as our financing application, have been written using the Python/Django technology stack. We wanted to increase our team, looking to find a cohesive group with a lot of expertise in these technologies. While we already had some outsourcing in place further East, it wasn't working very well. There was a lot of feature development that still needed to be done, including custom integrations with new retailers and lenders.

We wanted to create a way of waterfalling lenders into prime, secondary, and tertiary markets. STX Next built the service that enables this, which is called weighted distribution. In addition to layering, we can place multiple lenders at each level. Recently, STX Next has also worked on e-commerce functionalities, helping us create an offering in this space. Most of our original integrations were at a store level, but e-commerce has become a critical component of our growth. It's a browser-based functionality which can tie in online stores to our services. Our integrations were originally point-of-sale, requiring retailers to change their systems in order to integrate to our API. For light integrations in the case of partners who didn't want this expense, we offered a client-server browser app which users installed in the store. This app allowed clients to apply for financing without any of the existing systems being changed. STX Next helped us refactor this into our financing center using single-page architecture in order to build a browser-based app. It makes the store systems much more responsive. In addition, it has a much newer UI.

Rather than using them for set projects, STX Next acts as an extension of our team. The work is product-based. At peak capacity, we've used 10 resources from their team, including a Scrum master. We normally provide a description of what we want in terms of resources. Since we've worked on the same products, STX Next has been able to do most of the legwork for us. Our selection process is informal, with STX Next either recruiting people from the market or bringing existing resources in on a trial basis. So far, it's worked out very well. STX Next has more junior developers who want to gain experience so they would work on our project without charging us. After a new client comes in on their side, we retain the option to either keep them on a paid basis or let them move on. It's been a good model for the occasions when we needed extra capacity.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We needed a talented team with Python skillsets. Our VP of engineering at the time discovered STX Next. I wasn't working for the company at the time so I can't provide more details.

How much have you invested with STX Next?

I've only recently been exposed to financial information, so I can't provide an exact figure.

STX Next has been working with us for over 2 years.

Our e-commerce functionalities have been a success. It was a big challenge, consisting of a complete refactoring of the solution which had been built over the last few months. It required a significant amount of changes in order to support an upcoming activation. STX Next was tasked with the majority of this work and they delivered it in time. The system had a fixed completion date. It needed to be ready before the holiday season so that we could fully unleash the system. I can't disclose numbers, but there's been a significant amount of revenue for the company that depended on reaching the deadline.

One of our large lender customers delivered late, which caused a tough time on our side. It was easy to amass resources on STX Next's side on short notice and get the work done. It involved extra effort, but STX Next was accommodating to us. Hiring and recruiting has been smooth. STX Next has moved fast in its market and we've always been pleased with the people they brought on.

When I started working with them, STX Next was using the Scrum methodology. STX Next has been good at training staff on the Agile way, which has made my life a lot easier. We've also had some career progressions, with resources moving from QA to product ownership, or from junior to senior levels, for example.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

Because of the distance and the fact that we're an Agile company, collaboration is essential. Our work hours are minimal in terms of interaction times; we're limited to 4 hours early in the morning. Also, our engineers tend to come in late but don't want to go home late. Our Scrum meetings happen in the morning. We use collaboration tools such as Google Hangouts for daily conferences as well as Jira, Confluence, and Slack. These enable us to be offline and still track progress.

What did you find most impressive about STX Next?

STX Next’s team is passionate and has a great work ethic. They are willing to learn and understand our business. Instead of just coding to our specs, STX Next engages with us as a partner, wanting to understand, improve the code, and deliver better products. There is a lot of change in our industry in terms of the clients which we're able to sign. Even though this can be disruptive, STX Next has been flexible in changing directions with us. They have an Agile culture, plus they're stable, tech-savvy, and able to self-organize. STX Next works well as a team.

Are there any areas STX Next could improve?

We have a diverse tech stack, primarily using Python/Django. We've recently added another resource who has full-stack experience and who is also good at frontend technologies like Angular.JS and newer frameworks. We are trying to train the rest of the team for more full-stack abilities, which will allow us to swing projects better.

Another thing which we're continually trying to improve on is the Agile implementation process. We work with STX Next in trying to become more lean and nimble. Tools like Jira aren't used very well at the moment. I don't know if this is necessarily a problem for STX Next to solve, but it would be useful to have some additional expertise on this front.

COST: 4

Custom Development for Financial Services Firm

Web development

STX Next supplies on-demand Python resources to build custom features for a separately developed consumer financial solution.

One key highlight was their ability to take complete ownership over their work, paying close attention to each detail and always taking into account the end-user and the overall business goal.

"I was amazed at [their] ability to take ownership over the product roadmap."

CEO, paze

Average: 5 (1 vote)

paze is a financial services provider giving people access to their earned but not paid salaries throughout the month, for free. I am a co-founder and the chief executive officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

We needed the ability to scale fast and to onboard the right skill sets. We were about to launch the service and needed more resources for support and future development.

Our platform had already been developed when STX Next stepped in. We used them for developing the next phase of our technology. It is a Python-based system, so we needed a strong partner for this technology. We also use Amazon Web Services.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

I believe that STX Next sent me an initial e-mail, and I asked our COO [chief operating officer] to take a look at the company. He used to work with some of the best Russian development teams, for a different company. Back then, we didn't have a development team, so I wanted to see if we could work together.

We started working with STX Next at the end of July 2016. They're currently supporting all of our development activities and will continue to do so in the future.

A quantitative indicator would be the weekly call we have with STX Next, reporting on targets and achievements. Normally, they overachieve. This isn't because we set low thresholds or don't put enough pressure on the team. We're very pleased with STX Next.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

STX Next has been outstanding in this respect. We use a project management platform and are given full visibility into each and every task.

What did you find most impressive about STX Next?

I was initially skeptical about STX Next when our COO proposed them because I've had some bad experiences with previous suppliers. This is the 6th technology company I've started in my career, so I have a good benchmark for outsourcing partners. STX Next is the best company I've worked with, by far. I was amazed at STX Next's ability to take ownership over the product roadmap.

STX Next is an exceptional company within its industry, based on the quality of delivery and project management. The most important detail is that STX Next is a real partner for our company. The kind of support we saw and willingness to share risks have been outstanding.

Are there any areas STX Next could improve?

Not that I can think of. We haven't used STX Next's user experience design capabilities, so I can't speak on that front, and we've also only recently put an emphasis on testing. From what I've seen so far, STX Next's quality assurance services are in-line with their other work.

COST: 5
Our value for money deserves a perfect score, but don't know how well STX Next competes with other players.
Gilad Amir

Ongoing Development for Online Culinary Resource

Web development

STX Next supports and maintains an existing culinary website that helps users plan and prepare different meals.

Highlights include clear technical expertise, access to a sizable talent pool, and a knack for proactively finding ways to improve the working relationship with clients.

"[They] stand out through the passion shown for the business."

CEO

Seattle, Washington

Average: 3.5 (1 vote)

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Our company runs a recipe website. I am the chief executive officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

Our company has been around for 11 years and we have used STX Next as an ongoing development partner. I don't know if they built our website originally since I wasn't working for the company at the time, but they're responsible for it now and have been since my arrival. All of our technical needs are handled by their team, under our supervision.

STX Next is adding new features and maintaining our website on a continuous basis. We work in 2-week sprints using an Agile methodology for constant product releases. They plan out and deploy each sprint. STX Next works in collaboration with our internal product team in order to continually improve our site. We have a custom-built site.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

I don't have this information. They were our partner when I arrived and I chose to continue using them.

The company has been working with STX Next for 5 years. I've been collaborating with their team for the last year and a half. I'm very familiar with them and their leadership team.

We have a roadmap and have been fulfilling it. As we are reaching the end of 2016, we have seen a 200% growth year-over-year in website traffic. This increase is due to working with STX Next on implementing the right features and doing the proper cleanups on the backend.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

We use the Agile methodology, so there are expected meetings 3–4 times a week followed by deployments and retrospectives. We have ongoing conversations with STX Next which works well for us. We have been using Unbounce for project tracking and will be moving to Jira next week. It was a joint decision; both of our team have used the tool in the past. We also use Slack for continuous conversations and have Google Hangouts meetings at 6–7 AM most days of the week.

What did you find most impressive about STX Next?

I've worked with many vendors in my career for similar work. STX Next stands out through the passion showed for the business. This starts at the top, with their principal. STX Next has paid a lot of attention to customer details.

Also, I've appreciated STX Next's openness and honesty during our retrospectives. They've continually looked at ways in which we could improve the working relationship and the internal team. I have almost 15 years of experience working in the digital world, and our retrospectives with STX Next have been the most honest I've participated in.

Are there any areas STX Next could improve?

We're one of STX Next's only publishing-media clients at this time. Their overall understanding of technical SEO components isn't as great, due to a lack of expertise in working with DoubleClick, ad tags, and other tools associated with our line of business.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with STX Next?

I don't have anything specific. Clients are definitely in great hands with them.

COST: 3.5
I've worked with other offshore teams, as well as with internal ones. Pricing can be very different between the two.

Mobile Prototyping for Consumer App Startup

Mobile app development

This engagement began in response to limited technical staff and the high cost of local talent. STX Next first developed an iOS app and now supplies specialists on an ad hoc basis.

STX Next was recognized for their timeliness, technical aptitude, and the enthusiasm that their team brings to the table.

"STX Next delivered an excellent product, with good quality and timeliness. We also appreciated how passionate and engaged their team was."

Co-Founder & COO at Fizo Corp

Toronto Metro Area, Canada

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Our startup company has developed a mobile platform which is meant to deliver recruitment assistance for small and medium businesses. We are based in Toronto, Ontario. I'm a co-founder and the chief operating officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

We were presented with a significant business challenge in needing to recruit an outstanding software development team. More than just an outsourced team, we needed a partner that could assist us in developing the app in terms of both quality and time to market. Choosing STX Next was dependent on these 2 considerations. We also wanted to ensure that the team would meet and exceed our expectations, which was true for STX Next.

STX Next has been in charge of design and the initial ground-laying process for our application architecture, in preparation for the Agile team. We were not only able to cover this, but also had a fruitful partnership with STX Next in extending our understanding of market forces and constraints. This gave us significant clarity for the strategic planning process.

In total, we've used 5 resources from STX Next. The selection process was handled by them. We were confident that STX Next would deliver the right people for the project.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We considered 2 other companies before choosing STX Next. The recommendation for their company came through word-of-mouth to our Chief Executive Officer, who has acquired a wide network based on industry experience.

We started working with STX Next in April 2016 and work with them remains ongoing.

We had an amazing experience with STX Next. They were in charge of delivering the architecture and design of the product. We were very happy with both. The satisfaction level with our stakeholders was high as well. The performance speed of the system as a whole is entirely attributable to STX Next and the architecture they came up with. The user interface and workflow are expertly designed, too.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

STX Next delivered on-time and within the specified budget. There were no negative aspects of our collaboration. The only issues were with our understanding of how the product would respond to market constraints. STX Next helped us in this respect. STX Next used an internal project management software that we had access to.

What did you find most impressive about STX Next?

STX Next delivered an excellent product, with good quality and timeliness. We also appreciated how passionate and engaged their team was. We were looking for a partner that would care about the work, which proved to be outstanding from STX Next's side.

Are there any areas STX Next could improve?

No. The result has been perfect so far.

COST: 4.5
I rate STX Next based on industry costs. When looking at our possibilities for outsourcing the work, we could have chosen a less expensive option, but the balance between cost and the type of team that we could work with tipped in STX Next's favor.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
I haven't recommended STX Next yet, but I would definitely do it.

iOS Redevelopment for IT Startup

Mobile app development

The client is a startup developing a facial recognition solution for mobile devices. Limited resource availability and a poor experience with a previous vendor convinced the client to find a new partner capable of implementing the required features into their iOS prototype. STX Next was considered carefully and then contracted to resume development of the client's iOS application and prepare it for launch.

The client remains extremely satisfied with STX Next and their overall performance. While their iOS prototype is not yet prepared for launch, it was already noted that STX exceeded the client's expectations in terms of quality and reliability. STX Next was praised further for their project management approach. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with STX Next and recommends them highly.

"Apart from their quality of work and timeliness, it was important for us to have clear communication. STX Next met this expectation very well."

Mobile Development Lead

Tel Aviv, Israel

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We are a small startup comprised of five members based in Tel Aviv, Israel. We've developed an SDK [software development kit] for both iOS and Android, which serves as an authentication service for our clients, based on face recognition. It's aimed at replacing the normal user name and password method, making it easier for our clients' users to log in to their services.

I am the software lead in Android development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

We were looking for iOS developers who could help us to get from a version one of our SDK to a version two. We were looking for a month-long collaboration in order to include a few required features into our platform.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

At the time, we could only look one month into the future. We knew that specific features were missing from our product, and we needed help in order to get there. It was a very clear-cut project, which was the base for our collaboration.

Aside from their iOS resource, we've also contracted a couple of Android developers from STX Next as well as a quality assurance person. We're now beginning a consultation with a security expert from their team. It's not a full-fledged project yet, though.

As I've mentioned, we are developing face recognition technology. One of our main concerns is handling spoof attempts, namely people attempting authentications using a photo of the user. STX Next integrated a library, which was internally developed in Israel for that purpose. We call it Liveness. They helped integrate it into the iOS SDK and made it a part of the application's flow.

We usually worked with a one-person-team from STX Next. The work was handed off once or twice between different developers, but, looking at almost any single point in time, only one person was working on the iOS development. That person would typically be managed by a team leader.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We were working with a local company in Israel, which created the SDK as it was at the time, but we decided to stop working with them due to an unsatisfactory level of quality offered by them as well as their level of communication. We started looking for alternatives and were approached by STX Next with very good timing. They proposed a potential collaboration to our CEO on LinkedIn. We went through with an initial call and, from this, we already understood that this could be a potentially valuable collaboration. It was just that easy, and we kicked it off from there.

We've been working together for a month and a half. We are preparing to release the new version of the platform to our clients. The effort has not yet been completed since the product is not yet in the client's hands.

I could measure their performance mostly through the work done on the iOS part of our project. Testing is still fully internal. The initial initiative, as it was defined at the beginning of the project, was done successfully. We are finalizing other aspects of the product before it can be sent to clients.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

It was our impression that the quality of their work and their timeliness were very high. There were a few minor delays, but they were understandable. The requirements were not always fixed, and we occasionally changed specs as we went along. We were overall satisfied with STX Next's velocity and quality of work.

The main project management tool used was Atlassian JIRA. It was chosen at STX Next's suggestion, given that they are accustomed to the software. I didn't have specific requirements as long as something was in place. GitHub was used for hosting code and for collaborating. The code was already in place there, so it was the easiest path to take when starting our collaboration. We mainly used Skype for communication and tried to follow a somewhat scrum methodology, working with weekly sprints. It was a very short project, so this approach was appropriate. We had daily discussions and followed them up with weekly reviews.

What distinguishes STX Next from other providers?

Apart from their quality of work and timeliness, it was important for us to have clear communication. STX Next met this expectation very well. We had daily discussions. If a feature was a bit more complex, it would be discussed even a few times per day. I was very pleased with this aspect, especially given that they were an offshore firm, so we couldn't meet face to face. I feel that I can contact them at any time for questions, changes or clarifications. They are always very responsive.

WILLING TO REFER: 5
I have recommended STX Next to a friend in Israel who has started working with them.

Front-end Development for Investment Management Firm

Enterprise application development

STX Next was first approached to design the user interface of a separately developed data analytics tool. Their performance led to further dev and design work using Python and JavaScript.

Core strengths include great familiarity with Scrum best practices and unparalleled fluency in Python and JavaScript.

"Through my experience in the industry as a whole, I can say that STX Next has really stuck to the rulebook of scrum development, which has paid off well very."

Head of Core Technology

Average: 4 (1 vote)

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

I work for a hedge fund. We are a systematic hedge fund, meaning that we invest money on behalf of our clients using computer algorithms. We are proficient in coding within the company, given that all our transactions rely on technology. I'm the head of core platform technology. I manage a team of eight programmers. We are responsible for the Python technology being used day-to-day in the company for research purposes. ​

What business challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

One of our projects has consisted of providing an analytics portal for investment managers, whose job it is to run portfolios and strategies. They need to have a good overall image and see all of their numbers in one place. We have another tool that evaluates risk through profit and loss, as well as other types of data, within one page. It's a tool for drilling data and answering questions about it, identifying trends. We have built this product in collaboration with STX Next.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We've only worked on one project so far with STX Next. They've built the front end of the application from scratch for us. Some of its features include showing data in a rich, tabular format, and allowing users to see inline plots in charts, which can then be probed even further. Multiple data queries are possible and that data can be plotted in graphs so it's easier to find patterns. They've provided us with two full-time developers, one tester and a UX/UI [user experience/user interface] design resource.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We run a Python development shop in-house, but we lack web development skills. Our expertise lies in systems and back-end development. I have found it difficult to hire front-end JavaScript developers in London, so we began talking to STX Next because they could provide us some good JavaScript resources. We chose them because of their size and the breadth of technology they covered. Even though our immediate need is for JavaScript development, the fact that they also have a strong background in Python was good for us. It was a common language between our companies so, if we ever wanted to work on other projects in the future, it would be a good resource to have. Someone from STX Next contacted our company originally. The offer trickled down to me, and we ended up working with them.

The total development cost has been more than $50,000.

The project was started in September 2015 and is ongoing.

The web application is entirely internal to our company. We track its usage, which has grown constantly. It has replaced one or more of our older systems, including a previous web application. We have been able to migrate all of the users from that application onto our new one early on. It proved to be a success by reducing the number of platforms that we have to manage.

Working with their UX designer has been a very good experience as well. The ideas that he brought to the project in order to unify its look and feel, making the application discoverable to new users, was very positive and made the product look better than anything we've ever made before.

We've seen many new users. I was approached by one of them, a senior manager, who told me that he'd been able to perform a task through it that would probably not have been possible using our older systems.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

We are developers ourselves, so it's easy to gauge the quality of what STX Next is producing. Their processes are very similar to ours, so the collaboration has worked very well. They're easy to work with, despite working remotely. My team in London has been developing the back-end interface for our systems, whereas STX Next has been developing the front end. As a result, we've had daily and weekly interactions, working closely with their team.

We use the same agile methodologies as their company, which means that, when things take longer than expected, we will find out about it quickly and reprioritize. On a weekly basis, STX Next completes the work assigned to their team. Issues can sometimes be more difficult than anyone would have imagined but, because of agile practices, the information is shared early, allowing us to make the right decisions.

We use Atlassian JIRA as a primary project management tool and HipChat for communication. We also have daily video conferences.

What distinguishes STX Next from other providers?

I haven't worked on a project of this type in the past, so I couldn't compare them to competitors. Through my experience in the industry as a whole, I can say that STX Next has really stuck to the rulebook of scrum development, which has paid off well very. By the time they're picking up a task that had been in the planning stage, we can already assign tickets to them and have a sprint. At that point, there will be few questions about the work. They will have spent enough time beforehand making sure that the task is well specified and reasonably estimated. There are few surprises on either side, given that we follow every rule. This has been important to success, especially in overcoming our distance barriers.

Is there anything STX Next could have improved or done differently?

During our project, one of the developers assigned to us left the company. It took STX Next a while to fill that vacancy. Given that we only had two developers from the start, this limited the work that we could do. This problem is not unique to STX Next. The reason for continuing to work with them was that we found it difficult to hire London developers.

QUALITY: 4.5
They have top-notch developers that really know Python and JavaScript.
COST: 5
I couldn't have asked for better value.
SCHEDULING: 5
We were following the Scrum rulebook pretty consistently. No problems at all.
WILLING TO REFER: 4

Product Development for Startup

Application development

The client is a startup developing a custom automation solution for ticket-selling services. Limited technical expertise required that the client find a partner capable of supporting the development of their desktop and mobile prototypes. STX Next was considered carefully and then contracted to supply a team consisting of a project manager, several web and mobile developers, user interface/user experience designers, and quality assurance specialists.

The client remains extremely satisfied with STX Next and their overall performance. According to the client, STX Next has proven instrumental to the ongoing development and optimization of their flagship product. STX Next was praised further for their creative and proactive approach to feature additions. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with STX Next and recommends them to others without reservation.

"They have incredibly talented people at STX Next who have more than just a technical understanding of things. They've been able to make invaluable suggestions on several different occasions."

Founder & CEO

Ireland

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We've been in the ticketing business for nine years.

I'm the founder and chief executive officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

We've identified a particular problem in the market, particularly that there were many processes being embedded into ticketing before the arrival of the Internet. After this, the bad processes were automated instead of being eliminated in cases where they weren't beneficial.

Our client base consists of promoters and theater owners. We found out that they were spending 60 percent of their working week tied up with these processes. This was a considerable barrier in terms of scaling our existing ticketing business, so we decided to do something about it. We created a product called Coras, which is the Irish word for "system." We built an in-house prototype but, since we were already running a business, we wanted to get some outside help in the form of quality developers.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

STX Next has developed our solution in its entirety, from coding to testing, design, and everything else. The technologies used included Django and Python, the front end is an HTML5 responsive layout using Bootstrap and AngularJS, and we used MySQL on the database side of things. The mobile side of our product has been developed as native iOS and Android applications. Our platform is hosted on Amazon Web Services EC2. We use AWS OpsWorks configuration management and [Amazon] CloudFront as a content delivery network.

We plan to be moving more toward the mobile part in the future. STX Next has given us specific suggestions around the tools that are to be used for developing native apps. Previously, we'd built a mobile prototype that was a tool that allowed us to publish on multiple platforms like Windows, iOS, and Android. STX Next proposed building more concrete, native apps, walking us through the reasons for this. They've had some good chats with our CTO about the different tools and frameworks, which they use, plus the reasons behind each choice. Even though we're in our early days, the process seems to be thorough. We've been working with STX Next since November [2015] on the desktop design side of things.

We're involved with them on a daily basis. I keep in touch with their project manager for planning, management, design, and so on.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We tried different developers and had a number of unsuccessful outsourcing relationships. It took us some time to find STX Next, but, once we started working with them, we had a great relationship from day one.

They reached out to us a while ago. At the time, we'd always built our software in-house, without the use of outsourcing companies. We kept their name on file for a while and, when we started looking at outsourcing options, we started a collaboration on a trial basis. We tried two or three other companies for a month at a time. The whole vetting process took around five to six months.

We took on a developer from STX Next. There was an instant difference in the quality of work as compared to the others. Previously, there had been a lot of handholding involved in the process. The first person they assigned to us demonstrated huge initiative and brought much to the table themselves, instead of having a paint-by-numbers approach. They asked us questions and proposed directions for the development of our software. It felt more like having an added team member than an outsourced developer.

We decided to see if this was a fluke or not, so we started using a product manager from STX Next. That role had been fulfilled by us until that time. The person we worked with turned out to be even better. She asked us smart questions and brought things into discussion that we hadn't even thought of.

After this, we decided to meet them in person. There's a huge difference between having a remote outsourced relationship, even with tools like JIRA, HipChat and Slack, and meeting face to face. We had a two-and-a-half to three-day workshop with them, going through the product details. After that, we decided to progress to a full team.

The initial scope of the project has been set at around $400,000 to $450,000.

We started working together in November 2015.

Before starting out with STX Next, we had made demos of the prototype built by us. Last week [April 2016], we made updated demos for the same clients and had a very different reaction. I think that, when we initially showed people our product, they gave us a list of features that would determine them to be interested in the product, were they to be implemented. The general feedback right now is that, as soon as the app is ready, they will want to use it.

From the design side of things, in terms of the look and feel of the interface, the feedback has been entirely phenomenal.

The velocity, since adding new people to our team, has been increasing on a sprint-by-sprint basis. The per-person efficiency has been increasing as well. It's been great so far.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Atlassian JIRA as well as Slack as our main project tracking tools. We were using them already. From what I can tell, their team was comfortable using them as well. We'd built a prototype internally and were trying to scope out the overall size of the project. On top of this, we have daily calls with STX Next in order to deal with the current priorities. All feedback is entered into Slack and handled by the product manager, who will factor in our inputs into the backlog of issues.

We plan to have more workshops with STX Next in Poland because we consider face time to be very important. On our first run, we managed to get a lot done in our time together. Overall, working with their team feels like having a different office for our company, rather than working with a separate contractor.

What distinguishes STX Next from other providers?

As an example of STX Next's initiative, when we went to Poland, we were assigned a developer who hadn't worked on our project and knew little about it. He made some spot-on suggestions in terms of how our software could look based on simply talking to our team. They have incredibly talented people at STX who have more than a technical understanding of things. They've been able to make invaluable suggestions on several different occasions.

Is there anything STX Next could have improved or done differently?

The product isn't live yet, so I don't have a complete answer to that question. The only issue I've had so far is in terms of us being greedy and wanting access to more of their resources, particularly for design. Their designer is spread across a number of different projects. STX Next seems to have a high bar in terms of hiring people. If we could have had greater access to more of their design talent, we could do more, particularly in terms of front-end development. There haven't been any instances in which a particular item could have been done better; the closest example is our inability to get all the design resources we want.

The experience has been positive overall. Our company has been in the ticketing business for nine years and we've never outsourced successfully before. We spent six to nine months looking for viable outsourcing options and trying different people before settling on STX Next and deciding to scale up with them.

SCHEDULING: 4.5
It's hard to say because we're still figuring out the scope of the project. STX Next has been very good so far.

Custom Python Development for Financial Services Firm

Web development

The client was a financial services firm offering custom technology solutions. The client first contracted STX Next in order to have them support the custom development of several new modules within their proprietary solution. The success of that initial project resulted in greater involvement with STX Next during the course of a few years. [Analyst note: the client has since ceased business operations for reasons unrelated to STX Next and their involvement.]

The client expressed sincere appreciation for and satisfaction with the work completed by STX Next. While the client had a modest amount previous experience working with technology providers, they insisted that STX Next was one of the most valuable partners they contracted during their time in operation. STX Next received considerable praise for their technical talent and flexibility. The client recommends STX Next to others without reservation.

"They were quite modern. STX Next used tools that were flexible and very easy to implement. They moved quite fast once they committed to a project. They have teams dedicated to the specific project or specific issue."

Former Director of Product Development, Financial Services Firm

Warsaw, Poland

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We were partly a technology company and partly a nonbanking product distributor or agent, for items like insurance, investment funds, and mobile systems. The technological part of our activity was sub-contracting the IT [information technology] work of the banks and large financial institutions.

I was the product director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

There was a collaboration between the companies that STX Next was merged with. We have used them because they were a bit more flexible than the parent company of STX Next. A larger company owned STX Next, which was a bit heavy in terms of delivering business. That's why we decided to go with someone who is lighter and more flexible, and STX Next was our choice.

They did programming work for us, for portals and blogs that would engage our clients, involving them in discussions and in the information loop. We wanted to have more knowledge about their behavior and have more sales generated for our product. That was the main business idea for hiring them – to have them develop a solution from beginning to end, and provide maintenance. They did all back-end development, and they were not involved in the design work. We also worked with a few other developers and more worldwide companies.

I don't remember exactly how many developers were assigned to the project, I suppose around eight to 10 people, mainly Python programmers. It depended on the phase of the development. The project was managed both from our side and their side, with a project manager on each side. The work had to be coordinated locally, because our company has a complicated structure. We used an Agile method during the development as I remember it. I'm not the IT [information technology] guy, my perspective is just from the sales point of view. I'm not fully aware of all the IT issues and subjects that came up during their work. I can only give you my view on that.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

To be honest, I don't know. I wasn't in the committee, but usually how we do this is we have a two-step approach. We ask the company about pricing and delivery capabilities, and then we have some kind of cross-comparison with the pricing and with the possibility of delivery. But, I wasn't involved in this process, in this case. There was some kind of competition, I would say. It was a few years ago, in 2011 or 2012.

It was around $100,000.

The last time I worked with them, for myself, was in 2013-2014, so about one and a half years ago. The collaboration lasted from 2008 or 2009, until 2014. In 2014, the company was closing, so all the activity was put in frozen mode.

They delivered two or three different blogs, which are available on the Internet. They were quite okay, compared to other providers, in terms of time and budget, and they were very flexible. There was an increase in sales, maybe not too high – it was around 5 to 10 percent in certain activities, for example, in insurance. The blog served as a lead generation channel and brought us some new clients. It informed people on what we are doing and involved them with us. If the prospective customer became a client, for me it was good. The prospect may also go to the other banks, or the other providers.

What distinguishes STX Next from other providers?

I'm not an expert in IT technology, but they were quite modern. STX Next used tools that were flexible and very easy to implement. They moved quite fast once they committed to a project. They have teams dedicated to the specific project or specific issue; if necessary, the team can expand, hiring the experts in each particular case. When they are no longer needed, the team reverts to its initial structure. This kind of approach is not very popular, at least in this part of Europe, because the expert knowledge is much more expensive than the regular work.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

I don't know. I was not the project manager responsible for them, I just had them as results providers. I was the owner of the new business that was generated, not involved in the project phases all the time. I just put some measurements, "I want this, this, and this." It's hard for me to say what they need to improve.

OVERALL SCORE: 5
They were very positive and very professional.
QUALITY: 5
I received a blog with certain functionalities, a certain layout, and specific performance. For example, three milliseconds of reaction time. From my perspective, it was definitely exceptional.
COST: 5
It was an investment, a three-year investment cycle. We didn't invest so much, to be honest, and we observed some kind of increase in sales. That's fine for me. Their contribution was a component in the toolbox, so they were not the main drivers of the
SCHEDULING: 5
They are very flexible on that, and they are timekeepers. They do quite OK from my point of view.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
Yes, of course. Without any doubt. They delivered what they committed to, and they are project oriented and problem oriented. I would recommend them, of course.

Team Augmentation for Bespoke Software Development Firm

Enterprise application development

The client is a bespoke software development firm specializing in open source technologies. Due to limited internal bandwidth at the time, the client sought a qualified technology partner to support the development of a highly complex end-customer solution. STX Next was one of several potential vendors to receive a  request for proposal from the client, and they were chosen as the solution partner based on their demonstrated technical expertise and competitive pricing scheme. Once commissioned, STX Next supplied the client with several senior-level developers, a product manager and quality assurance specialists.

The client expressed great satisfaction with the work completed by STX Next. According to the client, STX Next was instrumental to the successful development and launch of several end-customer solutions. STX Next received considerable praise for their meticulous approach to Agile development and their exceptional approach to project management. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with STX Next and recommends them to others without hesitation.

"We are absolutely satisfied with their work and their project management approach... They're very committed and very diligent. They are devoted to their craft, and they want to be good at it, which is the most important thing."

Co-Founder & Director at Isotoma

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We are a technology agency. We are now 32 people. We do a lot of product design, software architecture, and a business change consultancy as well.

I am an owner and founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with STX Next?

We generally use STX because we get overloaded, and there is more work that our customer wants than we can do by ourselves. Thereby, we augment our existing development team with their people. Right now, STX and my company are joint suppliers for a company we are working with. They are supplying a team of ten for the project, and we are working very closely with them on this project.

This new project, which we've been working on for 18 months, now, uses a Python framework. The STX team is about the same size as the team that we have. We've effectively doubled the amount of people working on that project by bringing STX onboard. Because it's a large team, STX is managing much larger parts of the project themselves. They've got a product owner, a project manager, seven developers, and one QA [quality assurance] specialist. In all those developers, there's a mix of senior, mid-level, and junior.

How did you come to work with STX Next?

We actually worked with STX a long time ago, maybe five years ago [2010], on a project with Eli Lilly and Company, which is a global pharmaceutical company. We had a maximum of two or three people from STX working with us then. They were quite small at that time, and I think they were only 13 or 14 people back then. We worked with them for maybe 18 months or two years. We generally had at least one of their guys working with us.

We've probably put about £150,000 [approximately $235,000] ourselves through STX. For this current project, the customer is paying them directly probably £150,000. I would expect the project to keep running for a good year or so. By the time it's finished, it will be in excess of a £1 million [$1,565,000], quite possibly.

The service that we're working on right now is going live in about two weeks. It has passed its security testing, it is passing QA, and it's finished UAT [user acceptance testing] with our customer. That in itself is quite a great milestone, and it already has end-users in a sort of friends and family setting; they're VIP users who are already on the service. That's the most recent milestone.

We're just putting together a press release, which will have some quotes and testimonials from the customers then [July 2015]. Our personal qualitative view is that they've been great. Because we've been working on this project for a year, there is a fairly large code base, and the STX team has been very competent. We're very happy with their performance, so we're going to be bringing on their senior developers directly to get stuff ready for release. They've become normal members of our development team, which is something I'm very pleased about. I think that's the only way that this sort of project can work going forward. I needed to see that they were competent, and they clearly are. We're quite happy with them.

How did STX Next perform from a project management standpoint?

We are absolutely satisfied with their work and their project management approach, and that's why I recommended STX Next for this new engagement. They're very committed and very diligent. They are devoted to their craft, and they want to be good at it, which is the most important thing. Software development is a difficult business, and it does require some commitment in that respect. I'm quite happy that I did recommend them.

What distinguishes STX Next from other providers?

Their coverage of Python is extremely unusual. They've got a lot of people who can code proficiently in Python, which is valuable for us because we develop with Python almost exclusively. Python is not the most popular language, so the fact that they're committed to that is really good.

They are very committed to Agile development approaches, and not just in a buzzword way, but they are clearly very keen on using the approach for all of their solutions engineering, and are serious advocates of it.

Where I think they could expand their offerings is the front-end design because at the moment they are almost entirely software development and QA. The customers come along, and they need to specify the work pretty well, customers need to provide front-end designs and assets like that, and potentially software architectures as well. We've done that, and it's very useful to be able to provide that service alongside STX's development. That's an area where they could hopefully expand.

It's been really good.
COST: 5
They've been good. They're cheaper than we are.
They've done very well.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
I've already done it, so very willing.
Doug Winter

Custom Offshore Development Financial Technology Firm

Enterprise application development

The client offers a proven and robust financial technology platform with a full spectrum of financing options that connects retailers with multiple lenders. Due to limited internal bandwidth, the client sought a qualified technology partner to lend support during episodes of extremely high demand. STX Next was recommended to the client by a trusted business associate. Once commissioned, STX Next began collaborating with the client on their custom development initiatives.

The client remains very pleased with the work delivered by STX Next. According to the client, STX Next remains their exclusive and trusted technology partner for their large-scale and highly complex development projects. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with STX Next and plans to expand their responsibilities in the near future. STX Next comes highly recommended.

"They’ve consistently shown us that they can take more ownership and drive the project. They’ve demonstrated initiative and responsibility. From what we’ve seen, their team seems to know those practices very well, and they employ the approaches in our projects, too. It’s been very helpful."

VP of Engineering at NewComLink

Austin, Texas Area

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Could you describe your organization?

We’re a financial technology platform, and we connect retailers to lenders to provide credit for consumers.

I’m the vice president of engineering.

Could you describe the business challenges that you were trying to address when you first approached STX Next?

For us, the biggest thing is just scaling up our internal development team, to be able to bring resources onboard with the right skill set, who could hit the ground running and be able to execute on the strategy that’s been put forward. We needed qualified developers with extensive knowledge and previous experience.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement in greater detail?

Initially, they started out augmenting a small portion of the team that we had in place, and they started contributing to our custom code. They have since become the primary team on one of our products. They now take care of some of the biggest priorities and some of the high-level project management responsibilities on an ongoing basis.

How did you come to choose STX Next as your partner?

It came down to personal relationships. Their vice president of marketing was someone I had worked with before. She had approached us with a proposal to help us with the particular task at hand, and we basically started out with a couple resources to get things going. As we saw success, we grew the relationship from there.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular engagement?

We’re averaging about $25,000 a month. We’ve been working with them for about seven or eight months, so roughly $200,000 during the course of that time.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

What we’ve measured most closely is the productivity aspect, and we measure that based on the number of story points they finish during sprints. They’ve been able to bring the resource level down consistently while still maintaining the same level of productivity. This team seems to be very productive in terms of what they’re delivering. They’ve consistently shown us that they can take more ownership and drive the project. They’ve demonstrated initiative and responsibility.

When working with STX Next, is there anything that you would consider unique about their approach and/or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

They definitely have a lot of experience in agile methodologies. They’ve provided us with a lot of valuable input in that area. They’ve also offered services from an agile coaching perspective that we haven’t used yet, but that is something that we would look to in the future. So, from what we’ve seen, their team seems to know those practices very well, and they employ the approaches in our projects, too. It’s been very helpful.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client before approaching STX Next with a project?

If a client is new to working with offshore teams, there are things they have to think about from a communications perspective, building up processes and things of that nature. Take the time to establish an effective workflow with them and be very upfront about expectations and requirements.

QUALITY: 4
SCHEDULING: 4
Shams Chauthani

Coras

Based out of Dublin, a driven industry experts, Coras is
a disruptive start-up a new platform that automates the most time consuming processes of every ticket seller such as allocations, mark backs and tracking sales.

STX Next Delivered

Manage the mark back of tickets from one seller to the other for both general admission and seated events

Track ticket sales across all allocated sellers with a complete audit trail from allocation to sale

Create events and allocate tickets to ticketing agents or through user’s ticketing system

API that allows any ticketing system to integrate with Coras, helping to adjust the process to meet specific needs

BetBright

ABOUT

Based in Dublin and founded in 2012, BetBright is an online UK sports betting and gaming operator. BetBright takes an innovative and disruptive technology-based approach to winning on product, which delivers the very best user experience possible.

STX Next Delivered

Casino “Quick Deposit” allows users to continue to deposit money during the game without interruption

Mobile page redesign including Blog & Widgetisation allows BetBright customers to stay updated with current events

“Recall” adds personalised bet recommendations based on the customers’ bet history. (15+% conversion)

“Automated Bonus” feature potentially adds 10% to every new customer LTV

Live Casino for Mobile enables users to place bets using mobile devices

TBSeen

ABOUT

Featuring some of the UK’s favourite fashion and lifestyle retailers, TBSeen.com offers the smart shopper unique discounts on everything from style and beauty, groceries and home, health and travel, all the way through to utility bills.

STX Next Delivered

Manageable branded content landing pages

Ability to create and manage competition forms

New deal types (e.g. handling voucher codes)

Integration with new affiliates

Completely new Retailers space with easy searching & filtering

Completely new galleries & new promotional article types

Many admin tools improvements for content editors

Coras Mobile

ABOUT

Coras automates the most me consuming processes of ticket sellers (promoters and venues). STX Next delivered not only agreed features and functionality but real value for the client and for the end user.

Push notification

Integration with Coras.io main system

CI - Jenkins

Distribution Fabric.io

Paze.me Mobile

ABOUT

Paze is a next-generation consumer finance company that lets customers get the money they’ve already earned without waiting for payday. They do this by paying them their salary on a daily, weekly, or on-demand basis and collecting from the employer at the end of the month.

Instead of charging high interest rates we charge a low transaction fee, which helps people keep more of their pay at the end of the month.

Push notification

Integration with Coras.io main system

CI - Jenkins

Distribution Fabric.io

Key Ingredient Mobile

ABOUT

Key ingredient is a social networking application for cooking enthusiasts. The application contains over 2 million recipes, which users browse, share and collect into personalised cookbooks. Key Ingredient offers text recognition system for digitizing recipes as well as text to speech engine, allowing to list the recipes.

iOS and Android platforms

Text recognition system

Text-to-speech engine

Internal currency system (Key NotesTM)

Mobile ads platforms: Amazon Ads,

MoPub, TapJoy

Mobile payments: Google Play, Amazon, iOS In-App Purchases

STX AR

ABOUT

The STX Next Mobile Team created this application in order to improve skills in new technologies such as Augmented Reality and 3D graphics. The team used the Vuforia to place animated 3D models real life space. The application recognizes the STX Next logo and displays 3D objects chosen by the user. The user can interact with these objects.

Face detection functionality

Libraries: OpenCV, dlib

Mp4 with av-Foundation

Connections with Amazon S3

Realface

ABOUT

Realface is an A.I software that brings back human perception to digital process, bringing customers the technologies needed to connect with their consumers in the digital era. The software enables authentication, automated on-boarding & mobile conversion optimization using the most advanced deep learning methods, focusing on a frictionless user experience.

STX Next Delivered

Using the most advanced technologies in A.I, developed in-house, STX Next created a user centered authentication service. Meet the first anti-spoof application tailored for every day use on your device.

Face detection functionality

Libraries: OpenCV, dlib

Mp4 with av-Foundation

Connections with Amazon S3

Decernis

ABOUT

Based in Washington DC, Decernis provides regulatory expertise and systems to manage food, consumer, and industrial product safety compliance across more than 180 countries. Decernis gives clients the most complete regulatory intelligence on the market through unique, fully integrated, patented technology platforms covering over 80,000 regulations.

STX Next Delivered

Introduced RESTful web services, increasing overall scalability and modularity of the system

Live full-text search support for collection of millions of documents, growing every day

Rich document generation system, automating compliance certificate issuing

KNMP

ABOUT

KNMP (The Royal Dutch Pharmacists Association) is a Dutch umbrella organisation for both professional pharmacists and the pharmacy in general.

It promotes both the interests of its members and the interests of the pharmaceutical sector
 in the Netherlands.

STX Next Delivered

A custom Content Management System that allows the management of medicine shortages

An application design that enables the user to easily update content

A system that quickly notifies doctors, pharmacists and patients of the availability of a particular medicine

T Dispatch

ABOUT

T Dispatch is a progressive software development company, which has built a unique dispatch system for passenger trans- port fleets.

›  New search engine, over 10 times faster than previous one

›  Increased performance which eliminated system outages

›  Security improvements related to booking and payment processes

›  Integration with payment providers in 7 countries

Key Ingredient

ABOUT

Key Ingredient was founded in 2005 in Austin, Texas with the mission to help people succeed in cooking every day. By storing over 2 million recipes, it became the ultimate place for people with a passion for cooking who like to share and discover new interesting recipes.

STX Next Delivered

Site speed improvement (4-5x faster)

The highest SEO ratings due to front-end, back-end and sitemaps improvements

Streamlined technical stack by moving categories to elastic search (removing Oracle), moving pages to site (removing Unbounce)

Moved ad code to site for better targeting, and higher revenue (managing ads and vendor in Doubleclick)

4,5 TB of unused stored data cleaned

Secure https protocol, instead of previously used http

...