Web & Mobile solutions customised for enterprises

We create and maintain web/mobile applications for startups, agencies and tech teams. We specialize in top-tier development using Ruby on Rails, iOS, Android, Angular, ReactJS & React Native.

We build amazing, complex and challenging web and mobile apps using Agile and Lean methodologies. We’ve collaborated with entrepreneurs, industry leaders and public bodies to turn their exciting ideas into successful, user-friendly software.

We are a bunch of lively tech savvys yet a perfect mix of cultures and perspectives allied by a desire to continue delivering the best quality apps ever to the pleased clients and we believe that the customer experience is the next competitive battleground.

San Francisco, CA
  • 7 Hayter Place, Page
    Canberra, ACT 2614
    Australia
  • 34-XX, DHA Phase III Main, Khayaban-e-Iqbal
    Lahore 54700
    Pakistan

Some notable clients that we have worked with are Privatim.ioSkilledUp.comContentTools.coGetGuidance.comMaster-painter.comMaestrano.com and ClearCalcs.com

Pacecaster.com

Pacecaster is a DMS integrated tool that tracks dealership’s daily pace and accurately predicts month end sales and gross profit results! This is the first ever web-based tool for accessing your dealership’s pace from anywhere!. Square63 has done full-cycle product development, from scoping through production to deployment and support. Our team has also handled complete front-end and back-end development, QA, graphical and UI design.

Startupalerts.co

An application that allows you to see and get notified about the latest tech and startup events in your city

Master-painter.com

Master Painter is a website developed using Ruby on Rails and that gives you exclusive access to a directory of the very best tradesmen in your area. This project was developed for Jotun DXB the biggest paint retailer currently operating in Dubai.

One2Three.be

Online ordering & restaurant management platform built using AngularJS & Ruby on Rails along with native mobile apps for both iOS & Android.

Privatim.io

A SaaS product developed to be used by firms to professionals to store and share highly sensitive information with each other.

ContentTools.co

An interactive content marketing tool that allow publishers to create dynamic quizzes, polls, surveys and similar content and embed them onto their website.

GetGuidance.com

A web application that allows content managers to create dynamic informational calculators with results displayed as infographics and charts

Skilledup.com

SkilledUp curates the abundance of online and alternative education sources to give users access across the entire e-learning universe from a single site and allows searching of technology and skills courses all over the web from a single place.

Ruby on Rails Development for Cloud Developer Environment

"I think their strength is that they’re willing to do it."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Square63 provides API development and provided payment integrations in an effort to restore a broken IDE cloud service environment. The team is working on a DNS manager and drag-and-drop functionalities.

Nashville, Tennessee
Owner, IT Company

While the work could be done faster, Square63 provides quality work that is helping to overcome major hurdles. The team excels with simple tasks and completing one task at a time, but may struggle to cope with several priorities. Square63 is trustworthy, listens well, and asks questions.

I’m an owner and executive at CodeHelper, which is an online IDE cloud server, development environment for developers who want to develop in the cloud without having to spin up Sublime Text and push the code to Sublime. They can build straight from their web browser.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

We ran across issues integrating API information. We had a developer walk in and tear apart our system and basically shut down one of our servers. We lost everything, so we had to reset and start from square one. We had all the code, but we had to rebuild some assets and put it all back together.

Square63 provided API development, Stripe integration, and pay portal stuff when we shifted from Authorize to Stripe. They do Ruby on Rails work, HTML, backend, and frontend. They didn’t do server deployment, but they pulled the API information. We needed some DNS stuff figured out, so when a project is issued, the DNS propagates correctly under our cloud account.

Right now, they’re building a drag-and-drop into the web browser, so they can upload files straight to the server via the web browser, versus having to log into the server backend, then upload it via FTP. That’s pretty cool. It’s been a lot of bug fixes, little issues, like the SSL integration and stuff like that.

There’s been some intentional stuff. With this kind of development, you get up and running and then realize you have to fix the way it was done. So, it’s like restructuring the format or the frameworks of the code. A lot of the code was good. We just ran into situations when we switched the system. That’s been the majority of the work with Square63.

The DNS manager, where you can point project to a unique URL within one user’s account, was built by Square63. They have done some major overhauls and additions to the platform. By the end of the day tomorrow, they should be working on the ‘add a server’ function. Users will be able to add as many servers as they want. In the future, we’re going to have them build out team code.

We use one person full-time, and I’ve been in discussions to see if we can utilize another, just regarding timelines. We have a 12-hour time zone difference, and that’s the downside of the engagement, but they’re pretty good at communicating every day. I know we have one person full-time, and there’s a project manager and a person who does quality assurance.

How did you come to work with Square63?

We’ve used freelancer sites in the past, trying to find good and trustworthy developers. That is the most difficult thing I’ve come across. I just need someone to get it done. I don’t need someone who’s going to take on a job and learn on the go. I put out a bid on Upwork and stated the skill sets I was looking for. Baber [CEO & Co-Founder, Square63] said he could do it. I talked to him, and I liked that he started doing research, digging in to figure it out. He didn’t want to take the job unless they could do it.

How much have you invested with Square63?

We spend close to $1,000 a week.

The work started in January of 2017, and our relationship is ongoing.

We’re still in development, and we're trying to get the beta version of the platform up and running. We’ve been trying to get over a few major hurdles. I’m happy Suqare63 is doing the work. I’d like it to be done faster, but they are delivering good work. They speak good English, and we understand each other pretty well. I’m satisfied overall with their work. I think they deliver some good stuff, but my preference would be that it’s a little faster.

In trying to hit deadlines, you’ve got to work with them to communicate and keep them focused. They’re not doing anything wrong; they’re working hard and getting the job done.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

I assign tasks, and sometimes Suqare63's team has to understand, which takes time away from the original goal. When I give them a simple task, they’ll knock it out, but I can't give them five different things at once. If you start separating your assets or resources and keep adding stuff, then it gets to a point where they forget the priorities.

We’re using GitHub and Asana, which work well for us.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

Right off the bat, Baber greeted me with a smile, talked to me, and he listened. He was the point man, and then he assigned a developer to me. At the end of the day, I think their strength is that they’re willing to do it. They’re willing to hear you out, and they ask questions, which is helpful. You’re trying to get the job done, but also get it done right. You need them to ask you questions, investigate, and take a little ownership in the project. Square63 has done a good job of getting invested in the project and trying to make it a reality, rather than just treating it like just another day at the office.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

I think Square63 is doing a great job. I’d hire them again. I like to work with people who I can build a good rapport with. They’re very professional, kind, and nice. They know their stuff. They’ll get it done.

If you’re working with a third-party development firm, you know there will be challenges. Don’t expect them to know everything right off the bat. They don’t know your system or your code. Make sure you know what you’re asking them to do or have a plan. If you don’t have a plan, you’re putting it on them. They’re going to do what they want to do. If you go to them with clear intentions, they’ll knock it out.

Overall Score Square63 makes sure they can do the project before they agree. They actually investigate and look at the code. They put in the time beforehand to ensure they can do the job right. That’s a value and an asset that you want in any developer.
    Knowing your schedule is very important to allow them to hit your deadline. In my case, it’s hard because we’re still in that open development phase. There’s no full-on timeline.
    We’re paying Square63 a very fair rate. We’d only get junior level development for the same cost in the US. Sometimes it does take them longer on specific tasks, but that depends on the code and the systems you require. They’ll do other things quickly.
    Square63's team was on time, has good character, and is helpful.
    They’re good guys. You can tell they actually want to work. It’s hard to find people who are willing to work, and these guys are willing to do the job. They’re efficient and good.

iOS and Ruby on Rails Development for Startup

"We chose Square63 based on their references, responsiveness, and ability to deliver on time."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Square63 is transforming a community-based entrepreneurship app with UX/UI design and backend API development. Rebuilding the app from the ground up, the team provides iOS and Ruby on Rails services.

Denver, Colorado
CEO & Founder, StartupAlerts.co

The app now has over 450 users and the API has handled over 10,000 events. Square63’s work is well-received by users and test markets, who appreciate its interface and calendar integrations. The team understands the project and suggests improvements to the system.

Startup Alerts is an iOS app that connects entrepreneurs to events in their community based on their set preferences.

What is your role in the organization?

I am the founder and CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

At the time, we already had an app. However, we needed to pivot, which included a redesign of the app, UX/UI, and backend API. Our goal was to have the app built within the deadline and work well. I’m not a developer, so we needed to reach out to a partner.

Please describe the scope of the work and Square63’s involvement in greater detail.

Square63 provided a complete overhaul of the UI/UX and new designs. They basically rebuilt the app from the ground up. Their work also included the iOS development and Ruby on Rails API build.

They helped with planning the redesign, as well as restructuring the API. An example of a major feature was the ability to send notifications with custom timing based on geolocation.

How did you come to work with Square63?

We have spent $7,000 on the work so far.

The work began in November of 2015, and it is ongoing.

What are the results of the project, and are there any statistics or metrics you can share?

The app now has 450+ users, and the API has handled over 10,000 events. We also have a few thousand notifications sent. We now have a marketing tool that attracts users to events that they are interested in. We can also send targeted notifications to users based on the events that meet their interests.

The app was received well by the users and the test markets. They appreciated the simplified interface and ability to add things your calendar, which makes the app useful and reduced barriers to user engagement.

Users loved getting notifications of events that they were interested in and having the ability to favorite events. In our app, the ability to add an item to the calendar is smoother than in other apps.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

Square63 performs really well. They seek to understand your project and what you want and need, then they work to accomplish that. They also suggest better ways of doing something if they can.

In terms of deadlines and communication, they are excellent. They communicate on a regular basis and explain that they expect to accomplish the set objectives. They discuss any problems that arise and work to meet the deadline or give a reasonable timeframe to solve the problems.

To communicate, we use Slack, Trello, and email.

What distinguishes Square63 from other providers?

Square63 is distinguished by their speed, cost, and project management abilities. I appreciate their responsiveness and ability to solve problems.

Is there anything Square63 could have improved or done differently?

The team could start user testing with Apple’s TestFlight.

Overall Score Square63 is professional and proactive.
    The team always meets deadlines or reaches out before the deadline to explain any troubles that are occurring.
    The project came in at or under cost; they do an excellent job managing expectations.
    They are always on time. When problems arise, they communicate them immediately and ask for clarification.
    I already have and will again.

Backend Development for Fintech Company

"Square63 has a very good attitude towards work."

Aug. 2016 - Oct. 2016

Square63 provided an audit of a web platform architecture and implemented their recommendations in development. The platform was built using Ruby on Rails, which the team later used to update the code.

Nairobi, Kenya
Consultant, Financial Services Company

Internal testing of the platform had positive results. The audit, code quality, and stability of the platform were satisfactory. Square63 collaborated well and communicated actively. The team has perfected the development and project management processes.

I was a consultant for PesaZetu, which was established to do peer-to-peer lending for low-income borrowers in Kenya. Unfortunately, that project didn’t go forward. I’ve now moved on to a new company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

The goal was for Square63 to do an audit of a foundation that was built, and then provide recommendations for architecture and the product itself. With those recommendations, they would go ahead and build a better platform that was stable, reliable, and scalable. That’s where I saw them to be helpful, based on the past work they had done for me and the capacity of their team.

The developer previously working on that project was a one-man show, so he wasn’t able to do a very good job. I was looking for Square63 to provide capacity and then also to provide some sense of seriousness in a local project that we expected to grow.

Square63 did the audit, provided strategy, and did the development to upgrade the web platform. The key features for the web platform were on the backend side of things; the dashboard, managing loans, repayments, the borrower’s information, and the marketplace. We had access to reporting and managing the lifecycle of the loan, from disbursement to collections. The platform was built on Ruby on Rails, so JavaScript was part of it.

We didn’t get to the mobile app stage, but Square63 were meant to focus on an Android app. The project was terminated before we got to that point.

How did you come to work with Square63?

The CTO for my first startup was trying to find the right agency for a project, and he had already worked with Square63. He recommended them to us because we needed similar services.

How much have you invested with Square63?

This information is confidential.

We began the project in August of 2016, and the work was finished in October of that year.

The quality of the code, the project management, and the audit were all satisfactory. Also, the commitment and execution of Square63 were quite impressive. We tested internally, but we never got to launch the project, so it’s hard to evaluate. With the internal testing, everything was quite stable.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

Square63 had a very good structure. We used Pivotal Tracker and Skype for communication. They collaborated with our team and ensured that communication was as effective as possible. They did a very good job. They know how to go about the development process, ensuring that agility is maintained. I didn’t have any issues with deadlines.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

I would put Square63 on top due to their disciplined way of working and their capacity. Also, I think communication and project management are key to any project, and they have perfected the art of ensuring that whole ecosystem of development is complete and balanced. Many agencies have good developers, but they’re not good at managing themselves and using communication tools. I think Square63 is an all-around team. You can talk to a project manager who doubles as a software developer, so they understand both sides of the project. That's quite impressive.

Square63 has a very good attitude towards work. Even when they worked on a project that didn’t progress, they kept a positive attitude, which is very attractive to me.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

There could have been better documentation of things on a continuous basis after the audit was complete. Also, they could work on ensuring the communication process doesn’t break off, especially when they’re handling a project in another country.

There can be more effective ways that communication be implemented as part of their process if they know they are working with a partner from another country who may not have good infrastructure. That is one of the things I struggled with a lot. The internet connectivity was really bad, but I don’t know if that was on our side or theirs. So, I believe it’s important for Square63 to make sure that communication flows when it needs to happen.

Square63 was very clear on timelines. I’ve not seen them backtracking on the schedule. Even when there are delays, they communicated with me, and that was the most important thing.
    Square63 works really hard. Even when one team member is not there, you still feel you’re in the right hands. I think they handled the project in the right way.
    Quality is hard to measure, as there are a lot of factors to consider. I think there is room for improvement in quality. It’s aligned with ensuring that quality assurance with a clear checklist, continues to be implemented after too.
    Square63 is very good in what they do. They also have the capacity, which is one of the key challenges we face here in Kenya. I would bet a lot of my friends who are running businesses are facing the same challenge.

Ruby on Rails CMS Development for Mobile Software Company

"Square63 is a provider that we recommend to people."

2011 - Aug. 2016

Square63 provided multiple infrastructures and websites that function as control panels for apps. Their work focused on Ruby on Rails development, and the team provided initial frameworks as well as updates.

Scot Robinson
Partner, The APP Company

Square63 was responsive and personal. Their code was reviewed by additional developers and given high marks. The team set appropriate expectations, met deadlines, and did so at a reasonable cost. Whenever issues arose, they were immediately addressed.

The APP Company develops mobile apps. Most of our apps have an online cloud-based component where the clients can control and store data and control options in the app. I’m the co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

We have web apps which are platform-based where we’ll build a platform for a certain industry, and then we have clients that use that platform to meet a certain need. We also have one-off apps where clients will approach us to build a custom app. In the case of specific assignments, we’ve had specific needs and specific technologies on the cloud. Square63 developed online infrastructures and websites for us to control these apps. The reason we hired them the first time was that we needed a Ruby on Rails application.

Square63 helped us with two or three specific projects. For example, we have a platform called Gameday Platform which we sell and license to large universities. The platform helps them run a fan experience for an athletic program. We needed to develop a CMS [customer management system] to run this app platform, and Square63 supported us with that. They developed the initial framework, and we’ve re-engaged them multiple times to modify it as needs arose.

For these platforms, the app interacts with the backend through JSON APIs or the universities or our company manages the data. Customers do not interact with the website.

How did you come to work with Square63?

We were looking for someone who could develop in Ruby on Rails, and Square63 was recommended to us by a partner that had used them in the past. Whenever using an overseas developer, it’s important to make sure everything is in order. Square63 is responsible and meets deadlines. Communication is important for us regarding the English language and time zone. It’s great if they can be flexible with your work day. Making sure they write good code and do what they say they’re going to do are also things to be aware of. Square63 is a provider that we recommend to people, and we’ve used them multiple times ourselves because we enjoy working with them.

How much have you invested with Square63?

We spent around $100,000 over the course of our relationship.

We started working with Square63 in 2011 or 2012, and the most recent project was completed in August 2016. We don’t engage them actively anymore because we aren’t doing much Ruby on Rails but we continue to use them for the projects they helped us build.

We’ve been very happy with Square63, and we would use them again. They’re very responsive and personal. When Baber [Founder & CEO, Square63] was in the States on Election Day, I had lunch with him. They’re a pleasure to work with. Their code was reviewed by our internal developers, and they provided solid code for our projects.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Trello for our project management.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

Square63's communication is good, and they’re reliable. They don’t make unreasonable promises. Some companies do bait and switch. They start with certain developers on your project, and then they put more junior people on the project once you’re working with them. Square63 meets deadlines, writes good code, and their pricing is good.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

Nobody is perfect, but the important thing is Square63 keeps their promises, and if there are any issues, they address them.

Overall Score I’m very happy with Square63. Any opportunity I have to use their skill set, I will use them.
    Square63 meets deadlines.
    Square63 is very competitive. They’re not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.
    Square63 does a really good job, always delivers what they promised, and writes good code.
    I often recommend Square63 to other people.

Ruby on Rails Development for Wall Coverings Company

"They’re extremely reliable."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Square63 is working to complete a partially built Ruby on Rails B2B website. The team is restoring functionalities that were lost by a previous developer and streamline the site for faster performance.

Fairfield, New Jersey
Michael Popp
IT Project Manager, Phillip Jeffries

Square63 is currently four weeks ahead of schedule, and the site is significantly faster than before. The team is extremely thorough, efficient, and knowledgeable. They understand the needs of the project and anticipate next steps without needing a detailed description.

Phillip Jeffries sells high-end, luxury wall coverings, many of which are made from all-natural materials. Our company is B2B. I’m a project manager, and I primarily deal with our website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

We’re currently working on building a new version of our site. We already had something partially built, but we needed a significant amount of changes to the site. The performance wasn’t very good and the functionality wasn’t all there.

We had worked with another company last year to initially build the site, and it was not a complete success. We needed a complete overhaul. It’s an e-commerce site where you can order samples, memos, tip cards, as well as our products. Users can also see product specs and installation shots. In essence, the site is used for browsing as well as e-commerce. It’s also a utility for our sales people and partners around the world, letting them look at their active orders, completed orders, orders pending payment, and things of that sort. The site also has a lot of reporting by territory or area. Sales personnel can see their sales numbers and other metrics.

When we redid the site the first time, we lost a lot of the functionality. In an effort to improve what we had, we changed things to a level that didn’t work for our users efficiently. A lot of Square63’s work was to bring back our old functionality as well as streamline the site and make its performance significantly faster. By significantly, I mean it’s ten times faster for a lot of the pages.

We had a UX [user experience] designer work on all the designs for the site, which we then sent to Square63. There were certain parts I asked them to do a certain way without the designs, and they were very flexible and capable. The frontend of the site is on Ruby on Rails, and the backend is using a PHP API.

How did you come to work with Square63?

We found them on Upwork. We reached out to one of their previous clients, who gave them excellent reviews. That solidified a decision that was pretty much already made. We discussed things with the developers, specifically what approaches they thought would be best, and they were more than knowledgeable.

The development began January 16th of 2017, and the work is ongoing. It’s a six-month project, and we’ll probably have some changes in phase two after that. We will 100% continue working with Square63 as we have more additions or new features.

We scoped and planned the whole project in detail. Right now, we’re four weeks ahead of schedule, which is good. The site is significantly faster than before. Everything they do is extremely thorough, detailed, and exact. They are always prompter than we could be, and they work very fast and efficiently. They think of things to put in the requirements that I missed.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve been satisfied in terms of communications and deadlines. I meet with them twice a week, and we communicate via email or JIRA. I’ve never had an issue communicating with them.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

They’re extremely reliable. I’ve worked with a lot of developers in the past, and I usually have to watch their work closely to make sure they’re on track to hit deadlines and deliver the quality I need. Square63 understands all my requests thoroughly. They anticipate my needs before I even have to go into a detailed description.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

They’re providing everything I need. I couldn’t ask for more.

We’re ahead of schedule right now. If anything does fall behind, it’s not due to them. They’re never the ones holding up any tasks or phases.
    It’s a very competitive cost. Many times, when you pay this cost, you suffer in terms of quality, but we do not whatsoever.
    Their service is of good quality, and it’s timely.
    I would refer them first, before anyone else.

Ruby on Rails Development for Interactive Content Platform

"They’re very collaborative and open to communication."

2015 - Ongoing

Square63 provides Ruby on Rails software development from scratch based on wireframes and functionality requirements. The team works in Agile, and provides has delivered multiple platforms.

Louisville, Kentucky
Co-Founder, Content Platform

Square63 is efficient and deliver good quality at a good cost. After some hiccups in the early stages of the engagement, the team has adapted their processes and now deliver every project on time with all features requested. Their care for their customers is obvious.

I’m the COO of a software and service firm. We focus on lead generation for B2B companies selling things online.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

We needed a software platform. We were starting from scratch at the time.

We had wireframes and functionality requirements. Square63 architected the solution and wrote the technical requirements. We don’t define how things work technically; we define how they look functionally and what they should do. So, the first part of that has been entirely Square63’s responsibility, and the second part is what we do. The platform was built with Ruby on Rails, and then all kinds of open-source plugins were added. We used an Agile method to develop the platform. At any given time, we’re working with Square63 on multiple projects and different platforms, so there are anywhere from three to ten people assigned to our projects. All the development has involved Ruby on Rails.

How did you come to work with Square63?

We put out a request for proposal and they responded to it. The factors that made us choose Square63 were previous work, cost, and professionalism.

How much have you invested with Square63?

Our total investment with them over 10–15 projects is approaching six figures.

We began working with them in 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

I’ve worked with 20–30 freelance software vendors and they’ve been the best by far. They’re efficient, and they deliver a quality product at a good cost. In the early stages of our relationship, some hiccups occurred. However, as we developed processes, those things stopped happening. They delivered all the feature requirements we requested within the scope we had hoped for. Their work on all our projects has been better than anything else I’ve seen.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very collaborative and open to communication. We use Asana to track the work.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

I think they care about their customers. If there’s ever a discrepancy, they’ll usually err on the side of the client.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

They’ve already improved over the course of the relationship. I don’t think anything needs improvement at this point.

Based on interactions with other firms, Square63 provides the best value for the money spent.
    I give this rating due to their quality, speed, and cost.
    I’ve already referred them.

Ruby on Rails Development for Sports Hosting Company

"Square63 has been my savior during an unsatisfactory situation, and they always acted professionally."

Mar. 2016 - May 2016

Square63 developed a translation layer for a desktop application, integrating multiple sports league-hosting sites. Their work used Ruby on Rails and was based upon a preexisting Adobe Air application.

Tucson, Arizona
John Hall
Owner, Cactusware LLC

After stepping in to remedy a previous developers’ mistakes, Square63 was fantastic. Any bugs in the product were due to lapses in specifications, and the team was exceptional to work with. Many tasks had a one-day turnaround time, and the team excelled at communicating clearly about their progress.

My company is a one-man operation producing sports scheduling software. I have been in business since 1999. I am the owner, developer, and marketing person of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Square63?

I decided to rewrite the application in 2015, using a scripting language that was more conducive to modern standards.

It was Adobe Air at the time and had an issue with the fact that the desktop application was not allowed to talk directly to a web API. I needed to have a translation layer by which I would send information to a server and have direct communication with league hosting sites, for example.

I needed a competent partner who could develop in the Ruby on Rails language, which is what the preexisting code had been written in. I had hired another offshore developer who charged me $20,000 for what I considered to be an insufficient return on investment.

If someone uses my application for sports scheduling, I can export the information through the app made by Square63, and communicate directly with league hosting sites behind the scenes.

I needed to create client-side code which sent out fake JSON to the Heroku-hosted app. My desktop application communicates with that translation layer, which we call dsbabble. It is based on my original Adobe Air application. Square63 created scripts which directly talk to around three league-hosting sites. We work with 15 league-hosting in total, but we don't allow all of them to login directly through user accounts, but rather use temporary tokens for each session.

How did you come to work with Square63?

I looked at reviews, but I'm quite sure that I got Square63's name as a suggestion from the owner of a league site. They had used Square63 for Ruby development in the past. I contacted them, explained the scope of the work, and gave Square63 a first assignment of cleaning up some old codes. They were timely and surprisingly efficient in getting the deliverable up and running. Square63 was also extremely good at logging everything we worked on and sending it to me along with invoices.

Square63 appears to have a team of developers who work together in a congenial atmosphere, which means that their members can pick up the work of others, as opposed to my previous developer, who was a sole proprietor like myself.

How much have you invested with Square63?

The cost of Square63's work was around $5,000. They did work which was on par with that of my other developer, but for a third of the price.

I started working with Square63 in March 2016. The project duration was two months.

Anecdotally, all I can say is that Square63 has been fantastic to work with. The bugs I identified were all due to lapses in my specifications.

How did Square63 perform from a project management standpoint?

I have put Square63's team in touch with the engineers of the league-hosting sites, and they keep me in the loop as well. We work out any questions or issues, with a turnaround time of around one day for any task. Delays are usually due to the difference in time zones.

We communicate through email. Square63 has been very good at summarizing the objectives of what they were working on and explaining results in plain English, or at least in client-side terms that I could understand. They always invited me to test the deliverables and report any problems. I had a project manager type of relationship with Square63's contact.

What did you find most impressive about Square63?

Since all the developers from Square63's team are carbon copied on every email, their members are always up-to-date on any project and can step in at any time. It's reassuring for me to know that there are always several people able to take over the work, in case someone else is sick.

Are there any areas Square63 could improve?

I would be honest on this matter, but I don't have anything. Square63 has been my savior during an unsatisfactory situation, and they always acted professionally. I always felt that I was working with someone local, regarding English proficiency and responsiveness.

I'm not able to judge the code itself, but, functionality-wise, Square63's deliverables are perfect.

Custom Drupal and RAILS Development For Boutique IT Firm

"[T]hey will accommodate your circumstances because they want to work in partnership."

Square63 provides a range of Ruby on RAILS and Drupal services to a design and tech firm. They generally provide front- and back-end development and responsive theming work.

Toronto, Canada
Founding Partner, Boutique IT Firm

All of Square63's code shows excellent quality. Their fluid management completes projects quickly, while their collaborative approach builds strong connections with the internal team. A good communication strategy and dedicated work ethic lead to clear expectations and outstanding solutions.

Please describe your company.

We are a design and technology firm that specializes in Drupal and Ruby on RAILS frameworks in Canada. We are an international firm, so we have clients across the globe, and we deal with small, medium, and large corporations, nonprofits, and startups. We specialize in providing complete solutions to clients in design, marketing, business, and information technology.

I'm one of the founding partners.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached Square63?

At times, we do have a surplus in terms of the amount of work for demanding client projects, so we utilize Square63 in that capacity, just in terms of development components. We wouldn't have the bandwidth to accomplish some of them without the support of Square63.

Could you describe the actual scope of work assigned to them?

We have given them projects that they will complete independently, and one of our senior developers will review it at the end to make sure the deliverable was achieved. Some members of their development team are much better than ours. For example, they are fluid at working with the front-end theming of sites and doing responsive theming. We tend to give them a portion of that work to manage on their own completely. They're very proactive in their deliverables, and they have a good rhythm in place.

In the beginning, we were overlapping a bit, just to supervise them. Through the years, we've reached a point where we do not need to oversee. We know that they're going to do the job properly. We specialize in Ruby on RAILS and Drupal, and they do as well.

How did you come to choose Square63 as your partner?

One of our staff is from Pakistan, so he went to Pakistan to get married, and he came across Square63. He met them personally, and he found that their value system and the process that they follow in development is along the same lines as what we do. We didn't want to hire full-time staff because the volume of work we receive fluctuates, so outsourcing works well for us. We utilized them first just for our own website to try them out, and we found them to be proactive and diligent in their work, and they had very clean code. Since then, we have been soliciting their help with different projects depending on our workload.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they've done for you?

It has been $6,000 to $10,000 a year.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance or the success of this engagement?

The quality of work is top notch and the speed in which they have resolved issues is quite rapid. They're very proactive in the way that they achieve their deliverables. They have a very good system in the sense that they provide an iterative process, so they pair developers up and, if one person is not available, the other can keep working on the project. We do a double-pairing system, as well, and we know that it works very well. We've shared some of our processes with them so that they could implement and improve on their development. So, together, we've learned a lot from each other through the course of these couple of years. They've shared their practices with us and vice versa.

The amount of training and the level of quality that both of our teams have is very similar, and that was a huge reason we built the relationship with them. We see that they have the same sort of drive, quality, value, and dedication to the job as we have internally. They use best practices behind code, and we know the quality of work is great.

When working with Square63, is there anything that you would consider unique about their practice that distinguishes them from other vendors?

We had some poor experiences with agencies in the past because the way that they worked wasn't in line with our business values. However, as soon as we engaged Square63, we realized that we had a lot more synergies together. We have the same type of mentality in terms of the way that we execute projects, and the way that we respect our clients and follow up with them. We feel that, because they're in line with our value system, mentality, and dedication to quality, it was a perfect match.

If you give them something and they don't understand it, then they will come back and ask you to clarify. That's one good thing I love about them. I was concerned about the time difference in the beginning, but they've reorganized their structure so that they can accommodate our time-frame, and we work in an overlap way. When we start our day, we can check in with them. They're very flexible in the way that they do business, and they will accommodate your circumstances because they want to work in partnership.

In addition, because they're purely a development shop, they also refer clients to us for strategic consulting and design, which we are strong in. So, we actually have a lot of cross-business happening.

In retrospect, are there any areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

In the beginning, we had to do a little back and forth in terms of project management because we have a very solid project management system in place. So, we did a little bit of training to help them understand our business model and how we work. Once we established that, after the first couple of projects, it's been very fluid. They picked it up, and they respect our practice and try to follow it to continue building that partnership with us.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client of theirs?

None, really. We really love working with them, and they're reasonably priced and very proactive.