Where visibility and transparency connect.

We're a digital marketing agency. No mysterious black box. No technical geek-speak. It's where visibility meets transparency. We only use reputable and repeatable strategies for lead generation, SEO, PPC, blogging and much more.

* Website Design & Development as a showpiece for an online presence

* Content Strategy & Creation to engage an audience

* Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Best Practices including keyword research

* Search Engine Marketing (aka PPC) to drive lead generation

* Online Sales Strategies to convert visitors into customers

Our approach is collaborative. We help our clients create a vision for their online marketing, develop a strategic plan based upon their revenue goals, and then seamlessly deliver. Bottom line, we leverage your brand and online presence to drive business and increase profitability.

San Jose, CA
  • 5142 Lapa Dr.
    San Jose, CA 95129

Digital Marketing for Water Treatment Group

“They’re at the forefront of a developing market.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group Online led a website redesign. Focusing on SEO and SEM, they overhauled the site and made it consistent with new branding materials. Their contributions include a revitalized frontend interface.

California
Manuel Chargualaf
Marketing Manager, Garratt Callahan

Spectrum Group Online delivered a high-quality website that captivates users. Their commitment to designing an intuitive UI/UX and polished web content helps generate sales. Executive-level engagement facilitates productive and positive collaboration. They’re industry-leading professionals.

I’m a marketing manager for Garratt Callahan. We’re a water treatment company that services the industrial needs of businesses.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

Our website was about five years old, so we wanted a reputable agency to help us rejuvenate it with updated visuals.

Spectrum Group Online started the engagement by performing an extensive audit of our website. They looked at our site’s frontend to evaluate the clarity of its UX. Then, they analyzed the backend’s ability to support SEO and SEM. By applying their knowledge of Google Analytics, they found a lot of areas in the site that could be improved to help us standout within an online marketplace.

Before we started the renovation process, Spectrum Group Online suggested that we implement a pop-up on the website that asks users what they’re looking for. It’s a small solution, but it quickly generated measurable results.

They’re a full-service digital marketing firm, so they completely redesigned our whole website. Once they understood where it could be improved, they started making changes systematically. Now that they’ve completed the site renovation and SEO upgrade, I work with them periodically to continually enhance the site. Whether it be related to web content or backend infrastructure, they support the site and make it more robust.

I work with Massimo (CEO, Spectrum Group Online) and Alyson (Principal of Marketing & Branding, Spectrum Group Online) directly. I also communicate with three other resources from their team regularly.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

They were recommended to us by web developer I’ve hired in the past. She wasn’t able to accept this project, but she highlighted Spectrum Group Online as a qualified digital marketing firm. After a brief conversation with them, I decided they’d be a good fit for this project.

We spend $2,500 a month for their services.

We started working together in June 2017, and the engagement is ongoing.

Some of the applications that they put onto our website track calls that come into the company. That allows us to track sales statistics generated from website visits or phone calls. The pop-up integration they suggested also converts web traffic into direct sales consistently. That contribution alone was worth what we paid for Spectrum Group Online’s services.

They’ve turned our Website around for the better. It functions better from both a business and a user standpoint. The new UI/UX attracts customers and keeps them engaged. Our analytics indicate that visitors are spending more time on our website than ever before.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

They're constantly keeping me updated about the project through progress reports and updates. They ask for input frequently and enjoy working as a team. If the site goes down or it experiences an error of some sort, their team addresses each problem proactively. They continually analyze the site and pitch additional UI/UX enhancements.

Spectrum Group Online had to learn what it means to operate a B2B water treatment company, so we appreciate their efforts. I see them as a part of my marketing team. We're a small company with limited resources, so having their skills at our disposal is great.

If they don’t understand something, they’ll ask questions instead of trying to fake it. But as a result, they’ve internalized our message and can communicate it effectively. They’re truly an asset to the business.

I don’t have any real criticism to offer. I wish we had the budget to have them onsite with us full-time.

Give them all the information they need to be successful. The more they’re given, the more they can help. Also, listen to their feedback. Since they’re a fresh pair of eyes, they’ll likely see things that others might have missed. For example, they brought to light a lot of things from the user’s point of view that our internal team hadn’t considered.

Overall Score They’re at the forefront of a developing market.
    They’re flexible and willing to work around my schedule.

Digital Marketing for Swimming Pool Remodeling Company

“They’ve done a great job for us and I appreciate their efforts.”

Apr. 2016 - Mar. 2018

Spectrum executed a digital marketing strategy by redesigning a website and establishing viable keyword lists for SEO. They created blog posts and managed social media accounts via Facebook and YouTube.

San Diego, California
Mark Feldstein
CFO, Gardener Pool & Remodeling

Spectrum diligently researched an unfamiliar industry to adapt and deliver on project expectations. The web redesign invigorated the brand and aided their digital marketing efforts to increase the site’s Google ranking. A talented SEO specialist led the project and produced great content.

I’m the CFO and sales manager for Gardener Pool & Remodeling. We’re a swimming pool remodeling company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

We needed a digital marketing agency to improve our website’s SEO.

Spectrum’s ultimate goal was to get us on the front page of Google within our market. To accomplish this, they implemented a multifaceted digital marketing strategy. They conducted a competitive analysis of our website compared to similar firms in our industry. Then, they helped redesign and develop our website. To forward the SEO effort, they conducted additional research to produce a keyword list. This enabled them to lead an AdWords campaign, create our blog, and produce other keyword-infused content throughout the site. Finally, they bolstered our online presence by creating and managing our Facebook and YouTube accounts.

I had weekly phone calls with Jen (SEO Specialist, Spectrum Group Online) and would speak with their CEO once a month.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

I worked with Jen when she was with another company. She started working for Spectrum, so we followed her.

We spent roughly $33,000 a year.

We started working together in April 2016. We terminated the engagement in March 2018 to work with an agency that specializes in our industry.

Spectrum created a lot of content and blog posts for us throughout the engagement. They were essential to the website’s redesign and helped us establish an aesthetically pleasing web presence. Their efforts have successfully increased our Google Ranking. I was very happy with their work and the time they put in to learn our industry.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated via phone, email, and also used Google Docs. They used other tools to track our process and regularly updated us on what’s being done and if we were hitting the targets we wanted. Jen particularly deserves a lot of praise.

Their SEO content is well-written and their communication skills are top-notch.

They accepted a client from an industry they’re not familiar with and still did a great job. We’d still be working together if I didn’t find company specifically well-versed in marketing our services.

Start the project off right by communicating an accurate analysis of where your business stands. Furthermore, projects like this require a lot of moving parts. If everyone isn’t on the same page, the whole project can be thrown off quickly. I required Spectrum to integrate a Google Docs solution that enabled everyone to see the project’s current deadlines and goals. New customers should hold Spectrum to that process to ensure an organized engagement.

Overall Score They’ve done a great job for us and I appreciate their efforts.
    They met all deadlines.
    The cost is competitive with industry standards.
    Their services were timely and of high-quality.
    I’d refer them to anyone.

SEO & SEM for Private Cloud Software

"We've started to create campaign categories to help us refine things more."

June 2017 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group Online provides SEM and message testing consultation services to establish baseline messages, call-to-actions, and marketing behaviors. They conduct two-week testing to evaluate an ad’s success.

California
VP of Marketing, Private Cloud Software

Spectrum Group Online’s rate of work has facilitated five rounds of ad testing over a 10-week period and doubled the number of impressions while keeping clicks at 1-2%. The team has embraced a methodology that meets the client’s intent but can continue to improve their communication and efficiency.

I’m the VP of marketing and business development. I run the standard outbound marketing tasks including PR, analyst relations, web messaging, sales tools, and demand generation. I have three people on my team.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

The problem with SEO and SEM is that there’s a lot of expertise that you need in terms of real-time learning because Google changes its algorithm. The best practices that worked a year ago may not work now. One of my theses of marketing is to outsource projects within a space that’s dynamic and changes a lot so that you’re getting that agency’s knowledge from hopefully five to 10 other companies. What you get back is advice that’s rooted in experience that’s relatively fresh. That’s why I searched for an agency.

We’re a series B company which means we’ve only had two rounds of investment. In a startup, when you’re early stage funding gauged in funding rounds, you tend to be more improvisational and anecdotal. You tend to look at the big picture like, how many meetings did I get? You don’t worry about MQL and SQL ratings because you’re just trying to get in front of people and try new ideas. We’re still very much in the experimental phase.

With Spectrum, I was trying to learn more about message testing. I want to have basic search engine marketing up. Rather than full-on optimum performance and SEO, I was trying to use SEM to figure out where are the honeypots and how can we at least make sure that we’re attracting qualified buyers to the site. We don’t even know what our buy messages are yet, so it’s a different use case.

Massimo [CEO, Spectrum Group Online] has a lot of pinch hitters. Massimo, by my observation, has cobbled together a company with two principals, him and Alyson, and they subcontract everybody else. I spend the most time with Massimo and Shanee. We’ve had a few people in to help do reporting, Yuan and Dan for example. but I’ve recently learned that I don’t need that reporting, so I’ve cut that out of the program to save some money.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

I worked with Massimo a few years back and gave them a call. What I wanted was somebody local, grounded, and hands-on. That’s the way I remembered Massimo.

We spend $3,000 per month. We’ve spent $12,000 or $13,000 so far.

We started working with them in June of 2017, and the relationship is ongoing.

Massimo’s team thought that we knew our message and they were there to help us fine-tune call to actions and behavior around that, but that’s not where we are. We’re still learning what our sales motion is, what door to open, what to say. I’ve been trying to get message testing into their brains, trying something for a week to see if I get enough impressions and clicks but not optimizing it yet. It took a while to understand what I wanted and come up with a methodology that was comfortable to them even though it was still pushing the limits.

Most people in SEM would want to test an ad for a month. I don’t have a month to sit and wait on a bad ad. I need to find out if it’s a bad ad in days or weeks, so we’ve agreed to do two-week testing. That gave us the ability to do about five rounds over the last 10 weeks and we’ve gone from 500 impressions per day to over 1,000 while keeping the clicks about 1% to 2%. We found some decent sandboxes to play in to refine further in the last 10 weeks. We’ve started to create campaign categories to help us refine things more.

If I was harder hitting in the beginning in telling them not to think the way they’re supposed to think and if Massimo’s team listened more or did more due diligence upfront about what I really wanted, we probably wouldn’t have spent four weeks getting to that place, but we finally got there.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

There’s room for improvement. It’s a delicate balance. If I over-communicate, then I get billed more. If they under-communicate, I don’t know if things have been done, and I think we’re still working on that and agreeing more than we did. What are we going to cover in the meeting we have every Monday? How are we going to make sure we do accurate testing where we change just enough to be sure with the test that changed? Did we do a clever and careful and clear AB test as an example without changing too many variables in the AB test?

In the last two or three weeks, we’ve arrived into a nice rhythm, but it took us a while to get there. Sometimes I still have to ask them to show me the ads. I’m still pushing to get refined, clear, simple communication, but compared to where it was 10 weeks ago, it’s much better. I’d say we’re B+ getting to A-.

That’s a hard one to judge.

It would have been better for us to dig deeper into what we want and how they do things. They were hung up on optimizing when I was asking, 'why optimize something when we don’t even know if it’s right or we could do 10 times better if we keep playing around?' I think using SEM for message testing is a bit odd. It’s not something everybody knows how to do or is comfortable with, or they want to take a more pragmatic approach. I have board pressure, fundraising pressure, and my boss’ pressure. For someone to say let’s let it sit for four weeks, that’s not a startup. We have to go faster. I pushed them beyond their comfort zone. That was good. I think if they have a client like me next time, they’ll know better and they’ll run faster.

Overall Score The last 12 weeks has been a learning curve. I’ve learned a lot from them. We’re trying to do something uncommon with SEM.
    I’m still paying more than I should. The learning curve that I went through and I’m going through helps to make sure that our bill is more reasonable.
    Initially it wasn’t going well, but it’s better now. That will potentially move to a better score over time.
    Not every agency is right for everybody. Having a contractor model on top of a boutique central team may not be acceptable for all companies.

AdWords & SEO for Delivery & Logistics Company

"They are really passionate about this. It’s like a hobby for them."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group provided SEO and AdWords consultation for a logistics company. They optimized site structure and content, advised on marketing strategies, and implemented user tracking tools.

Director of Marketing, Delivery & Logistics Company

Since the relationship began, the site saw consistent increases in web traffic and qualified leads while reducing conversion costs from $200 to $35. Spectrum Group impressed with their enthusiastic professionalism, thorough documentation, and willingness to adapt their methods to suit the project.

We’re a large manufacturing company with a global presence. We have 1500 team members and 1.5 million square feet. We primarily focus on creating logistics packaging and design. I’m our head of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

We needed help in running Google ads, understanding how search engine marketing and search engine optimization work. We also needed help structuring both our site’s architecture, content, changing our language, understanding user behavior in order to increase qualified traffic to our website. Specifically, with ads, we wanted to bring in qualified leads. I understood what I wanted to do, but it was more efficient for me to work with someone who is an expert in it.

They helped in the copy of the ads and understanding which ads were most effective in terms of delivering users. They have been great in helping me get very efficient in terms of cost. What I consider an acquisition, from their eyes is a person calls us for a quote or more information or they fill out a form. They have helped me drive down that cost considerably. They have helped me with the architecture of the site with things like meta tags, the language we use to set up the different elements of our website to bring in the users, to put software on my website, and some tracking what user behavior does. It’s inexpensive, lightweight software. I’m changing my site and I’m adapting it based on their recommendations.

The head is Massimo [CEO, Spectrum Group Online] and he oversees things. He has great insights in terms of Google. I also work with Alyson [Online Marketing, Spectrum Group Online] who is kind of a partner of his and is great at helping me understand the content of my website and what is appealing to my target audience. I work with Jen [SEO Specialist] whose specialty is Google Links and infrastructure. They also have another assistant who facilitates. I have about an hour meeting with them monthly and they send me reports in the interim.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

We decided to do an analysis with the agency I work with on my website. We knew there were things we needed to uncover. I did a website analysis with one woman and I wanted to start employing her recommendations. She referred us to their agency. We met with them in person and figured they were the right way to go. I didn’t look at any other companies because I knew what I wanted to do and they were a good fit.

Most of the money was up front. We now have a $5,000 ongoing retainer.

We started working together in November 2016 and the work is ongoing.

Every month our website traffic goes up consistently. Having them work for me has definitely facilitated that. I’ve reduced my cost for conversation. Let’s say it started at $200. Now it’s down to $35-$40 dollars.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very responsive and professional. They’d be better serving a bigger organization because they’re so good at following up and giving meeting notes. In some cases, it’s just me managing it, so I don’t need that level of professionalism that they’re providing.

They are really passionate about this. It’s like a hobby for them. They also teach this as a course at Berkeley Continuing Education. Being located in Silicon Valley, to have somebody so interested and it be essentially a hobby, as well as a professional pursuit, is the differentiating factor.

We initially had a start where they had to get to know my style as how they communicated. They’ve adapted to that. I wasn’t getting the reports I needed and I felt we were mixing signals, but they adapted to the way that worked best with me. At first I struggled, but now we’re through that.

Do you have any advice for potential clients looking to hire somebody in this field?

You should hire someone specifically to do the job. There are so many changes with Google. Even if you’re really sophisticated, I wouldn’t trust yourself to do it on your own. It’s better to hire someone who is also not embroiled in the day to day of your website. Get someone who can take a step back and look at it from a Google perspective. I wouldn’t try to do it on your own.

Overall Score We’re still not totally there, but I’m at fault in that, too.

Digital Marketing for Microwave Company

"They care about your website as much as you do. It's a pleasure to work with them."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group Online provides ongoing digital marketing services, including optimizing design elements, developing content, paid search, keyword analysis, and more.

Sunnyvale, California
President, Microwave Company

Spectrum Group Online delivers a personal touch and provides a service-oriented team that is easy to communicate with. Their work produces consistent traffic growth and high-quality leads, which lowers expenses. They even created a way to measure and track results when it couldn’t be done before.

I’m the president of a company that designs and manufactures microwave and millimeter wave components.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

We were trying to keep our brand relevant online. We're a leader in our space and a well-recognized brand in our industry. Our target market is global. We’ve done a lot of marketing over the years, including traditional marketing, event marketing, PR, and magazine advertising. We wanted to make sure that we were as strong and recognized online as we were offline.

The process was highly collaborative. We know our industry, and they know theirs, so we had a meeting to discuss the breadth of possible keywords as well as which ones to focus on. They brought us a lot of new opportunities and ideas, and we worked with them on some of the key terms that we thought define our product set.

We worked with them on our website as well. They helped us optimize our design — both from a usability and search perspective. Since then, we've engaged with them to develop the content on the site, expand our link profile, and manage our paid search efforts. They've also contributed to our resources and solution sections on the website, looking at technical notes as well as market specific solution information.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

I found them through a friend from a business group, and he is one of the sharpest programmers that I know. I figured that if anyone would know who's good out there, it would be him. You get bombarded with emails, and there are different levels of operators out there, so that recommendation really allowed us to cut through the clutter.

When I met Massimo, the CEO of Spectrum Group Online, I was immediately impressed with his technical credentials, personal approach, and customer service-oriented attitude. To us, this means that he knows what he's doing and that he and his team can give you a very high level of service. We saw in Spectrum Group Online a lot of the things that we see in our own company in terms of customer service, high performance, good reputation, and standing for quality.

How much have you invested with Spectrum Group Online?

I think they were very competitive. In terms of the hours and effort they put in, they can balance the ongoing program development and growth areas along with the unexpected problems and issues that come up. We’ve always had the feeling that we're been over-serviced just in terms of how responsive they are and how willing they are to dive in and work with you.​

​​​​​​What is the status of this engagement?

I started working with them in October 2014, and our collaboration is ongoing.

On the organic search side, we've seen more of our pages listed and our placement has improved. On the paid search side, they have improved our site quality score. It really helps you leverage your expenditures because you're getting more of a return on investment regarding where you place in the paid ad. They've also managed to deliver the audience share we want while still meeting our budget. They’ve optimized our expenditures on the paid site, which has resulted in a growth of traffic and higher quality leads.

We don't have an e-commerce site per se; we've got more of a quoting engine. Massimo helped us define a metric on that in terms of conversion. For the first time, we got something we can follow and measure, which has really helped. He also proposed other ways to capture that information in terms of phone-call monitoring and things like that. He’s delivered in the areas where we needed him to and has good ideas on other ways to measure and track.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

Very well. We have monthly calls and those have been the main form of communication. Via email, they’re very responsive and always available. Each person on the team has a different role. It's been great having access to the project manager, as well as being able to work directly with the people who are executing. It’s not like you got this massive, dispersed team. They're very focused and you know who's doing what. That's been really easy to interface with.​

​​​​​​What did you find most impressive about Spectrum Group Online?

They're great in so many different ways — the service element, communication, availability, responsiveness — but I think the main thing is the personal touch. They care about your website as much as you do. They're just nice people. It's a pleasure to work with them.​

​​​​​​Are there any areas Spectrum Group Online could improve?

Nothing stands out. I don't think we've ever been left waiting for a response or anything like that. I'm excited to see them grow, add more folks to the team, and broaden their skills. If there are any areas that they’re not experts in, they work with the right people to get it done, so I don't think there's ever been a gap.

Overall Score They’ve been phenomenal. I’m really happy.
    They're pretty timely.

SEO and SEM for Fruit Vendor

"[They] do an amazing job of educating people …. That really instilled confidence in us to move forward."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group replaced an existing SEO provider and augmented an internal marketing team by educating the team on best SEO practices. They also help with Google AdWords, keyword research, and social media ads.

Marketing Manager, Fruit Vendor

The team at Spectrum Group works well together, but what sets them apart is their willingness and ability to teach an internal team how to best do their job. Their availability and responsiveness are top-notch. They are reliable in meeting deadlines, and even improve accountability in their clients.

We deliver fruit to offices as a wellness benefit. Often what we’re doing is getting into the breakroom, delivering fruit to employees who want a healthier option instead of the junk food that’s normally in a breakroom. I’m the marketing manager, and I’ve been in this role for a couple years. I manage our marketing department, including our print and digital efforts.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

When I moved into my current role, we realized we weren’t doing enough in digital. We wanted to increase our presence in social media and ads. We did work with an SEO group. As part of my transition into this role, I did a bunch of classes and started learning more about the space. I met Massimo, the owner of Spectrum Group, through one of my classes. I instantly started learning from them, and I felt there was a need for us to transition from our current SEO provider to Massimo.

The first step was to educate us. Massimo and Spectrum are teachers at heart, so they educated us on the rules and principles to live by for quality SEO. From there, we developed a strategy, that we’re still continuing to implement, around how we can participate more heavily on improving our SEO standings, while keeping them good and healthy. Also, on the ad space, they’re helping us a bunch with our Google AdWords, which is more on the SEM side. They’re definitely helping us build out those creatives in respect to the ads.

They also help us to investigate and learn what our keywords are, and how to get the most and best bang for our buck. They constantly give me a checklist about what we can do to help navigate the SEO in the right direction. We have an internal social media person, but we are looking at whether we can have them help us with the ads for our social media.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

The initial meeting was in a class that I took through UC Berkeley. I took two separate classes with them, so I got to know them through the 12 weeks of the classes, and I learned a lot from them. I looked at some of the suggestions they gave us through the class, and how that correlated back to the business. Massimo and Alyson do an amazing job of educating people and really driving people to the statistics of what it means to be [search engine optimized]. That really instilled confidence in us to move forward.

The work began in October of 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

We’re a national brand, and we deliver nationwide; however, we do have a very local presence. We like to use local couriers and local fruit. Part of the strategy with Spectrum was around how we can be seen on the internet as a national brand that focuses locally. We developed landing pages that are focused on that, and built keywords that are focused on that national but local strategy.

We recently worked with Spectrum to identify some metatags and meta-descriptions that needed correction. They developed the standards of what those should be, and then also helped us identify some training for our own team around how to write that content. That helps dramatically with our click-through rates and our bounce rates, as it leads people in the right direction to find what they’re searching for.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re amazing. They’re super-responsive. I can rely on Massimo and Alyson specifically to respond within 24 hours of getting an email from me. I have a monthly call with them that’s a two-hour meeting, and they’re very willing to be available on whatever chat feature I’m using to ask them a quick question. Massimo and Alyson have visited our office several times. Their availability and responsiveness are top-notch. They meet all the deadlines, and they’ve actually helped us be more accountable in that area. They encourage our own deadlines for updating the blogs and articles on our sites.

What did you find most impressive about Spectrum Group Online?

They pair very well together as a team. Massimo is really data-driven, and he knows Google like the back of his hand, whereas Alyson is a content person. With those two things paired, they make a really nice duo. I feel they are educators at heart. They’re willing to do the work for you, but if you want to learn to do it yourself, they’re not afraid to teach you how to manage your own SEO and then back off. I think that really sets them apart.

Are there any areas Spectrum Group Online could improve?

They’ve done a great job at building their team up in the past couple months, but I think they probably need more support.

They do a great job meeting deadlines, but I feel like sometimes Massimo gets torn. He has to run the business and also be in the business.
    When we were looking to change SEO companies, we did some competitive shopping. They were right up our alley in terms of that.
    I’m part of a networking and marketing group. Massimo came to that group last week, free of charge, and did an educational seminar. I hope he gets some business out of that.

Digital Marketing Campaign for Mattress Company

"Spectrum has given us the right tools to figure out how to keep optimizing our website."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Spectrum Group Online provided a full suite of digital marketing services: PPC, SEO, social media, and Google Analytics. They conducted keyword research, then optimized ad buys, placement, and targeting.

Kaytea Petro
Marketing Manager, McRoskey Mattress Company

Spectrum Group has quadrupled site conversions and provided the right tools and guidance to constantly increase optimization. The team contains both results-driven, linear people and wonky data people; their project manager was the star of the show. They prioritize education and cooperation.

McRoskey Mattress Company makes the world’s best mattresses by hand. We're in San Francisco, and we have been doing this since 1899. I’m the marketing manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Spectrum Group Online?

Our company had previously done digital marketing, specifically pay per click ads, but not had a lot of success with it. Spectrum offered us a complete package. In addition to pay-per-click, ad creation, and management services, they offered SEO, Google Analytics, social... the whole digital package.

From a digital perspective, Spectrum did all the keyword research. We reviewed it, and then they managed and optimized the ad buys, placement, targeting, and all that stuff. For SEO, we went through a process about a year ago where they helped us improve SEO on our old website.

We recently redeveloped our website, and the new site was just launched. In that process, Spectrum was our SEO partner. As we created new pages, they optimized them for SEO. They also went back through the pages after we did some tweaks, to ensure proper keyword placement.

We did social ads with them, and we went through various types of targeting. It turned out that social doesn’t work very well for us because of the type of product we sell. However, through that process, they helped us figure out a lot of demographics. We learned that social only works for us with a special offer or promotion. They did a little content creation, but I like to keep that in-house.

How did you come to work with Spectrum Group Online?

Spectrum was hired before I started working for the company. When I started, I reviewed all the agencies of record we had. I eliminated almost all of them, except for Spectrum, because they were ineffective. The people at Spectrum are smart and competent.

How much have you invested with Spectrum Group Online?

It ranges between $1,500 and $6,500 monthly. [$18,000-78,000 for 12 months]

The work began in April of 2016, and our relationship is ongoing. They’re now working on a project for our sales department. They’re doing a deep dive with customers, to find out their motivations, as a way of driving our future acquisition strategy.

Spectrum has given us the right tools to figure out how to keep optimizing our website. We were doing a continuous test on optimization as we were building the new site, and they provided a lot of tools and guidance to help us with that. Since we relaunched the site, our conversion rate has increased. We’re a week out from launch, and the new site is a 4% conversion rate, whereas the old site was somewhere between 0.9% and 1.2%.

Internally, there’s a lot of questioning of the efficacy of digital marketing. There are two camps, and they both feel passionate. Because of our long sales process, it’s been very hard to build an attribution model to find out the details.

How did Spectrum Group Online perform from a project management standpoint?

Alyson is their project manager, and she is great. She is very good at herding all the captains in place and laying out the process. They’ve met all the project deadlines. They set a reasonable pace and reasonable expectations. The other key skill of a project manager is to be able to communicate with different types of people, with different comfort levels with technology. While I may be clear on why we’re doing what we’re doing, from a technology standpoint, there are a lot of conversations about why we’re doing certain things. Alyson is very good at that.

What did you find most impressive about Spectrum Group Online?

They go above and beyond for us. They are really interested in education, and they also teach at an MBA program. They do a very good job of partnering with you and educating people. The first thing they do is a workshop with everyone in the company, to teach them how to do certain things, so they could work better together.

Are there any areas Spectrum Group Online could improve?

Massimo is very smart and gets things done, but he is very easily distracted. Alyson is very linear and stays on task. So, in communicating with them, it’s the most efficacious to go through Alyson, unless you have something that’s about some weird, wonky, data thing. In general, she’s better at giving complete answers, and not just being in the weeds.

We had to move stuff around a bit. We’re chaotic around here as well, so I get it.
    I own an agency, and I know that services can be less expensive.
    I have referred them already.