World-class Python and Django web development team

* Top Rated at Upwork
* Among top at Clutch.co
* Authored Python/Django book for Beginners
* Our Portfolio

Our world-class Python and Django developers craft tools, apps and websites for clients around the world, from established companies to budding entrepreneurs.

What we do?

We develop custom web applications, but our main focus and passion lay within these 3 niches:

* Social Media marketing, monitoring, and analytics tools for Digital Agencies and Startups
* Online Marketplaces for Leisure, Art, and Music industries
* CRMs for Healthcare industry

How we do it?

* Agile ideology + Scrum methodology
* Code review, unit testing, documentation and Continuous Integration practices
* Develop fast, release often

Our Team

* 14 employees with 10 developers, started back in 2011
* Full-stack Python web developers with 2-10+ years of experience, using AngularJS for front-end side
* OpenSource lovers and contributors: https://github.com/softformance

Our 3 Core Principles

* Focus on high-level Client's Business Needs
* Shipping beats Perfection
* Team-Client communication is of the same importance as Code Quality

Does it resonate with you? Then contact us to help you out with your project!

Lviv, Ukraine

SocialInsight - Instagram Analytics Tool

Our client wanted Instagram Analytics and Marketing tool to provide to end-users as SaaS web application.

We developed backend and front-end side for bunch of new critical service features.

Technical Stack we used:

• Python/Flask
  • AngularJS
  • Instagram API
  • MongoDB/PostgreSQL

Fotografen365 - Online Marketplace for Photographers

Client wanted an online marketplace that would enable users to find local photographers based on categories. Once found, they would contact them and order photo services.

We developed both server and front-end side on this project. Technical stack used:

• Python/Django
  • PostgreSQL/PostGIS
  • jQuery and tons of visual jQuery plugins

At the end we've quickly got first happy beta users on our marketplace.

IoT Web App for Development Company

“My clients are very happy, and they like that their app is on the cutting edge of current technology.”

2015 - Ongoing

Using Django Channels, SoftFormance consulted and led the development of an IoT web application for a development company. The system has the ability to transfer data over the web app and informs the client.

Zürich, Switzerland
Vladimir Kuzma
CEO, Byteful GmbH

SoftFormance delivered the app and assistance as specified. They offer an excellent partnership with their sincere interest in the business. They offered their consultation as a complimentary part of their services, setting them apart from their competition. They deliver high-quality results.

I’m the owner and founder of Byteful. We’re new in the market with just a designer and me. We do small and mid-size websites and are moving over to doing types of web apps like IoT, fintech, or general business.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

IoT was a new field for us and a new technology in our framework. I didn’t have much experience. I needed someone with more experience in certain fields. I also needed someone to review my code that I was developing.

They took the technical lead on the IoT web app. They’re doing the whole architecture and deciding on the technologies. I provided them with wireframes and technical mock-ups ahead of time. They also developed some of their own. They chose how to solve it. They also do maintenance. They’re involved deeply in the project.

They used Django Channels. The server pushes information to the client, and he gets updated immediately. Since it’s an IoT app, a machine drives around and sends signals. We can immediately see this in the web app. That’s one of the coolest features they did, which is one of the reasons I hired them because they were already experienced with that.

There were two people actively working on the project. One is a developer and the other person manages everything including the communication to do updates. They had a third person if needed.

I found them on Upwork.

We’ve spent $40,000.

We started working together in 2015 and the work is ongoing.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

They have one person taking care of the management. They’ve done very well. We use mostly email and their own project management tool. If it’s more complicated, we have a call over Skype.

They try to understand my business. They’re not just interested in coding but are also interested in the business side, developing a concept and consulting before we even start working together. They don’t charge me for that part. They only charge for real work. This really stands out compared to the other companies I’ve worked with.

They could improve how they fix bugs and small tasks. They’re already working on the only problem I noticed with them.

They never miss any deadlines even if they’re tight deadlines.
    Since I’m in Switzerland, it’s significantly less expensive than here, even if I had a junior developer here.
    Compared to other developers, they’re really good. It’s been good from the beginning.
    I’ve already recommended them to others.

Web App Dev for Instagram Marketing Platform

"SoftFormance is organized—it’s easy to see what they’re working on and how it’s being prioritized."

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

SoftFormance built the front-end of a web app that provides social media analytics tools. They developed features using Python and designed a RESTful API for posting automation.

Mesa, Arizona
Ethan Sigmon
CEO, Social Insight LLC

The app boasted over 6,000 users, who appreciated its clean designs and solid performance. SoftFormance impressed with their capable project management, deep talent pool, and consistent communication style. The team addressed any issues quickly and thoroughly.

I am the founder of a website called SocialInsight.io. We’re a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) company which provides Instagram analytics and marketing tools for small-to-medium-sized businesses.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

We needed to expand our development team faster, and were looking for some developers who were competent and capable of helping us.

SoftFormance was brought in after one of our secondary developers left for another project. They helped one of our primary developers build out more of the web-based app’s frontend. As time went on, we continued to use them for expanding the development team. If we needed another coder, we would contact SoftFormance and add them to the team.

Everything we have is custom-built. I will typically outline one of the features we want and provide SoftFormance with examples and mockups, after which, they will break those down into actual tasks. I will review those and then the features will be built. Everything is done using Python.

We have a RESTful API and a frontend app for which SoftFormance provided features like post-scheduling for Instagram, allowing users to schedule posts on their Instagram accounts, and have them posted automatically at the dates specified. Other apps require approval, so it’s not really an automated scheduled post. With the help of SoftFormance, we were able to figure out a way for making fully-automated scheduled posts for Instagram accounts.

Their team is managed by our CTO. We are running two separate projects with them. For Social Insight, we have one dedicated developer and two more for another project.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

We put out a job on Upwork and Vitaliy [CEO, SoftFormance] applied for it. We interviewed him, hired the team for a job, and expanded from there. Vitaliy is our main point of contact.

The total cost of their services has been $60,000 to $100,000.

We started working with SoftFormance around February or March in 2016. The relationship is ongoing.

On SocialInsight.io, we have over 6,000 users. They think that the app looks clean and good. As with any new software, there will be bugs, but we’re good at addressing them. We can get back to SoftFormance’s developers with issues, and correct them.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a very good project management system. SoftFormance is organized—it’s easy to see what they’re working on and how it’s being prioritized. They have a project management tool where I can make notes and add specific features through it. Outside of that, for general communication and questions, we use Slack. SoftFormance provides high-quality work, and they’re fairly consistent with schedules.

One of the things they do well is to hire good programmers. Vitaliy is a good programmer, and because of that, he is able to source other talented people since he knows what that looks like. This ends up translating into a good experience for us and the end-user.

This isn’t something they can really change, but the large time difference between us and SoftFormance has been the hardest challenge. Their communication is good, but it would be nice to be in closer time zones.

Overall Score Great development company.
    They have great communication, and are good with deadlines.
    Very affordable for the quality of programmers we’re getting.
    The quality of work is high.
    I have referred Vitaliy to many friends and colleagues.

Front-end Web Dev for Internet Company

"The communication is quick and simple, and their knowledge is solid."

July - Sept. 2016

SoftFormance assisted in backend development and enhancement of a Django CMS platform. The focused on improving the filtering, algorithms, and supplier forms of a directory connecting clients and suppliers.

Rapperswil, Switzerland
Ralf Sonderegger
IT Admin, GRYPS Offertenportal AG

SoftFormance understood goals quickly and managed the project well. In the last year, traffic more than doubled and the site garnered new leads. They suggested improvements of internal processes, were generous with their knowledge, and their communication was reliable and straightforward.

I am the IT administrator of GRYPS Offertenportal AG. I am in charge of IT in general, as well as website projects. Our service consists of connecting clients with suppliers.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

They have been helping us develop new projects for our website. We had a supplier directory for which we wanted a better user experience and more functions, allowing clients to search for suppliers based on their region, and have better matching.

SoftFormance reworked our old directory, and everything related to it on the backend, including the supplier forms, the filters, and the algorithm. Clients can now be matched with suppliers in their city. We are using a Django CMS [content management system], on which this directory was implemented.

We worked with 2-3 people from SoftFormance’s side.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

We searched for developers on Upwork, had an interview, and initially gave SoftFormance a small project. We then started bigger ones, like the directory.

The cost of the project was between $100,000 and $200,000.

We started working with SoftFormance in July 2016. The project had some delays on our side, because of server issues. It was completed in September of that year.

They understood the project quickly, and asked questions when it was needed. SoftFormance also made improvements over some of our processes, and generally managed the process well. There were no delays on their side, only on ours.

In addition, our page views have increased significantly after the deployment in April. In the last year, the amount of traffic has more than doubled, and we went from receiving no leads to 15 leads.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

The communication was done using email and their ticketing system. I had access to the full task list.

They’ve been very helpful whenever we had any problems outside of the project. The communication is quick and simple, and their knowledge is solid.

There were some small parts which I initially thought would look different, but I never specified them, so SoftFormance built them their way, basically. The final result was okay, so I have no criticisms.

SoftFormance met the timelines set, most of the time, but there were some delays.
    The value we got for the cost was very good.
    There were small delays at times.

Plone Website Redesign for Travel Booking Site

"He really thought about our problem, analyzed it, and gave us a better solution than we asked for."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

SoftFormance took on the redesign and redevelopment of a travel website, with special attention given to site performance and search engine optimization.

Spain
Nicholle Tan
Co-founder, iHoppers

The client has been very pleased with the quality of the improvements and how the main point of contact has delivered thoughtful enhancements that exceed expectations. She hopes the quality does not suffer as a result of their growth.

iHoppers.com is an online booking platform for holiday/leisure activities. It's pretty much like GetYourGuide, but of course, we are smaller in terms of scale and number of staff. It was a small business we started about six years ago, part-time, and now we are doing it full-time. I am a co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

I found SoftFormance on LinkedIn two or three years back, and they have helped me with some fixes on my old website. This year, we contracted SoftFormance again for the redesigning of our website. It's a Python website. We used to have some local IT person to help us with the website, but we were not very happy with them; they were really slow. Since it was built using Python, I decided to look on LinkedIn to see who else can help us with the website. I was quite lucky that I found them.

I think that when we had our old website, it was done very badly. Vitaliy [Podoba], who is the CEO of SoftFormance, stepped in and helped us fix a lot of the bugs that affected the speed and searchability of our website. As a result, we have more visitors, and the website works better with fewer bugs. Of course, there are always going to be some bugs, but he fixed a lot of the stuff. That's why we contacted him again earlier this year to help us with the redesign of our website. We want a different look and structure for our business. We were very worried about the SEO [search engine optimization] and if a drastic change was going to affect it, but everything seems good at the moment. We're still getting the same number of visitors, if not more. We're very happy with his work and his team.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

I found SoftFormance on LinkedIn. We are based in Spain, and they are based in Ukraine. We haven't really met, but I requested a Skype call. That's how we get the face-to-face chats. We told them our problems, and they seem to be very fluent with responses. Vitaliy didn't take things as they were. Rather, he really thought about our problem, analyzed it, and gave us a better solution than we asked for.

How much have you invested with SoftFormance?

We have invested $25,000 to $50,000.

We started in January [2016] and are currently still working on maintenance of the site.

Because the redesign just finished in May 2016, which was a few months ago, I wouldn't be able to provide very quantified measures of success. Part of our work here is SEO-like, so whether or not we are going to get penalized by Google for changing so many things on the website, I would say things have been good. At the beginning, it dropped a little bit, but Vitaliy has helped us look at whatever SEO errors we have, and we fixed that. The site is running very well and faster than before. Obviously, we have improved the look of the website, as well. Before we had high bounce rates because our website looked dated.

What did you find most impressive about SoftFormance?

Their attention to detail is impressive. Vitaliy is very analytical. If I said, “Please do XYZ”, he'd think about it, come back to us, and say, “Why would you like to do XYZ? Maybe you can try ABC.” He does give his point of view and experience from other clients. He gave quite constructive suggestions. He doesn't just follow what we say, and that's what I like about him. He does challenge certain things that we wanted to do, and many times he has a point.

Are there any areas SoftFormance could improve?

I think SoftFormance has accumulated more clients throughout the year, so I would personally hope that Vitaliy is the one who's doing all the coding. I think he started to delegate some of the work to his staff, which is not as perfect as him. He does step in and supervise everything to make sure everything's okay. I think that's one of the things; I'd like him to do everything for me, but obviously they have to grow.

I think it's okay.
    I always think 5 means there's nothing to improve. I want them to know they're very good, but there's always things they can do better, even though I think they're doing pretty well.
    I would definitely recommend them, especially for small/medium enterprises. For companies that can't afford a full-time IT person, I think they're very good. They are very skillful in terms of Python.

Python-Django Website for Photographer Marketplace

"I paid more to another team before I hired SoftFormance, and the other team wasn't half as good."

May 2016 - Ongoing

SoftFormance was brought into to make a scalable web platform for connecting photographers with prospective customers.

Frankfurt, Germany
Founder, Fotografen365.com

The client was impressed by the turnaround time SoftFormance had for various requests. He also appreciated that because of their strong project management skills, he was able to receive the same high level of service from any one of his five points of contact.

We are a marketing company for photographers. We identify the right photographers for both private individuals and businesses. For example, if you are looking to sell your house and you’re looking to find the right architecture photographer, you can find them on our site. I’m the founder and managing director of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

SoftFormance built the entire IT infrastructure for this project.

I gave them a briefing of what I wanted, and then we built the basic platform to see if the model would digest the amount of images and number of users that I was planning to have. Then from there, we built it up and added all kinds of features to make it look very nice and perform well. In a nutshell, they built the entire IT architecture for us based on our specifications. It was important that obviously, the front-end is also suitable for mobile devices, but we haven’t yet created a mobile app. It’s just a website for the moment, but it also works on iPad and of course on iPhone. It’s not a content management system; it’s a custom-made application based on Django and Python.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

I found them through their website, really. Also, SoftFormance has a presence on Facebook. I was looking for Django programmers, and that’s how I found them. The funny thing was I had never worked with a Ukrainian firm before, so I wasn’t quite sure what we were getting into. We did a video conference with Vitaliy [Podoba], the Head of SoftFormance, and my impression was that he was just as professional as the US firms that I had worked with in the past. His appearance made a very good impression because he understood what we wanted and he was asking the right questions. I must say we hit it off fairly quickly because I was very surprised. Maybe he even has some English-speaking background in the programming area because it very much reminded of all the other programmers that I worked with an Angular background. They’re very professional; that’s what I liked the most.

It was very American; they promised something and then they kept to it. I have worked with Russian programmers in the past, but they weren’t as reliable regarding timing, I must say. Vitaliy and his team were much better.

How much have you invested with SoftFormance?

It has been in the range of $30,000 to $40,000.

Since April or May 2016 and its ongoing.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

I don’t know how many employees they have, but I had contact with five of them. It always seemed to me that any of them was up to date with what the project was about and what the current issues were, so their internal communication works very well. If I had a problem, even if somebody was out of the office or not available, I could just talk to somebody else, and he knew exactly what I wanted. I found that extremely helpful.

We had a Redmine task management system, and that’s basically the backbone of how we’ve been managing the project. I would enter tasks and issues into Redmine, and they would estimate the amount of work that was needed for that task. Then I would approve that task, and they would get going on it. That has worked very well, I must say. Obviously, I was able to assign priorities to it.

What did you find most impressive about SoftFormance?

Their IT solutions were remarkable. There were several times when I’d set up a task which I thought would take more than a few hours, but they were able to solve it quite quickly and do it with little effort. That I found quite impressive, and I do understand quite a bit about IT, so I was surprised about their solutions. They really know Django.

Are there any areas SoftFormance could improve?

Vitaliy asked me the same question. No, I wouldn’t know anything. He told me before that they are not design people, although I must say that the solutions they have come up were fully in line with what I would’ve expected from a design point of view, so that was perfectly fine with me. No, I’m very happy with them.

Overall Score I was very happy with their work.
    That was some of the best experiences compared to others. They promised something for a particular time and date, and it was done by then. You always have the occasional bug here and there, but they kept to that timeline.
    If I needed something and the person was not available, I could talk to anybody else. Through their internal communication system, everybody was up to speed on issues and able to help. That, I found extremely helpful.
    Definitely. They are so good, and I have actually recommended them to others already.

Python Development Resources for Custom CMS

"I’ve never really had an experience with them where they couldn't deliver."

2009 - Ongoing

SoftFormance was tapped to provide regular PHP and Python coding resources to a group that has a custom built content management system.

Founder, Help Service

Pros include good business ethics, expertise in Python and Javascript, and strong project management. A stronger outsourced CTO approach would be appreciated by the client.

Our organization provides information online for people with addiction problems and their loved ones. We also give access to treatment, including access to rehab clinics or individual coaches and counselors. I am the founder of the organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormace?

Initially, I was looking for a developer who could work with Python and PHP.

SoftFormace has been providing Python programming as well as some server admin for our CMS, which is Python-based. We have milestones and that's been the case for years.

They have 1 to 3 developers on our projects. Usually, one developer is permanently assigned to our project. An HTML/CSS guy would come in when needed, plus another database guy when needed, and so on.

How did you come to work with SoftFormace?

I found Vitaly [Podoba, Founder] back in 2009 on Freelancer.com. I had a piece of PHP code that I put out there as a test for some people and asked them to convert it into Python. This test would basically give me a developer in both languages. Vitaly did it without me having to pay for it. His turnaround was instant.

How much have you invested with SoftFormace?

In total, we’ve paid $50,000 to $200,000 for their services.

We started working with them in 2009 before they became SoftFormace. We started with Vitaly and then he brought some more people into the team. They brought together their clients as well, and that's how it has developed. Our work is ongoing.

We've always accomplished what we set out to do, which I guess is all you want. I don't know if that was a wise thing to do, but what we chose to do was sometimes up to me. It was up to me what should have been programmed in the first place. That said, I’ve never really had an experience with them where they couldn't deliver.

How did SoftFormace perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management deserves an A+.  It's very well managed, otherwise I wouldn't have been working with them for 7 years. It's really almost as if I have to keep up with them in terms of their updates as opposed to the other way around. I don't have to wait for them. It's always the other way around; they have to wait for me to proceed. They provide estimates on all projects before they set out to do them.

I've always led project management from my side. We're mainly using Redmine to communicate. GitHub is another option but we're not using that at the moment. The communication always goes, “if we add this to it, or if we have to solve that issue, then it will push us over our estimate, are you cool with that or not?”

What did you find most impressive about SoftFormace?

They have a certain sense of ethics that I really like. They have optimized the code space. They are very good in what they do, which is Python and Javascript mainly. They run tests for all code and address bugs without markup, so I don't have to pay for bugs. When I say something is urgent, they will get to it within 24 hours usually.

What also definitely adds to the value that they bring is they know all our source code, our code base inside and out. Whenever there was a new developer coming on board, they made sure this developer is brought up to speed so I never have to worry about that. That is another reason why I stuck with them.

Are there any areas SoftFormace could improve?

It’s just that there is not much that they don't charge for, unless there were bugs; sometimes that was necessary. I wish I wouldn't have to pay for certain activities that are not directly coding-related. There was an issue at some point that I had to pay for team meetings that they were having, and there was just no way to attribute those costs to any specific codes. We've changed that now, though. They just add in some buffer.

Sometimes, I wish I would have more of an outsourced CTO experience with them, which is not necessarily the case. I still need to have a CTO to take on that role of leading the project forward. It's not that it's totally outsourced. I'm sure they outsource solutions and sometimes they would approach a project task creatively.

Overall Score They're very good and very ethical.
    Sometimes, I have a developer for 3 days in a week when 5 days a week would have got me there quicker. That was a bit of an issue sometimes. I guess it depends on their internal workload.
    Their rates are fairly low compared with many others and the value is exceptional.
    The deliverables have always been great and the code is very solid. Project management is tight. They are also very responsive.
    My needs aside, I'd highly recommend them.

White Label Python Development for ISP

"SoftFormance was very well-organized and handled through the whole process; deliverables, the knowledge, they knew exactly what was going on."

2014 - 2016

An ISP no longer had the skills in-house to support a customer using a legacy Python-based framework and outsourced work and support for it to SoftFormance, leading to a multi-year partnership.

Spring Hill, Florida
Bryan Rodriguez
Lead Technical Architect, Gozooko

SoftFormance crafted code that the client perceived as good value, despite being a bit pricier than other outsourcing alternatives. They especially appreciated the thoroughness with which scoping and delivery were communicated.

I help customers build applications, put them together, and get them working on the web. We are an ISP [internet service provider], and we have a bunch of different customers, from mom-and-pop to large organizations. We maintain their applications out on the internet, from the bare minimum up to cloud infrastructure, it doesn't matter, whatever it is. I am the Lead Technical Architect.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

In this case, we needed some improvements done for a particular customer. We no longer had the in-house skills, and we looked outward to hiring a third-party to help us out. It revolved around a local framework. It's a Python-based framework. It's an older set-up but, they were able to tackle it.

A customer needed some improvements on the old framework, and they did dedicate a particular resource in the process. We worked with both the owner and one of his resources directly over the contract. They were able to fix all the problems and also maintain a bit of support after they were deployed.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

Originally, we put a job out on Elance before it was bought. They did a bid. They weren't the cheapest, but based on how they presented themselves and answered the questions; I felt like they had the skills to do the job. We did a few more Elance jobs together and then, from that point on, we've been working with them directly.

How much have you invested with SoftFormance?

It has been between $10,000 and $15,000.

We're in contact. There is a bid for another job, but our customer takes a long time to execute. It started in 2014.

When driving the scope, they were able to deliver exactly what we needed. SoftFormance was very well-organized and handled through the whole process; deliverables, the knowledge, they knew exactly what was going on. It was never a pause in the request or on what was taking place.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

They provided a job-tracking tool. We didn't have set rules all the time. I let them do what they needed to do. When they were done, we would validate it and then run the results and send it back, not very much interaction was needed. We didn't have weekly SCRUM meetings or anything.

What did you find most impressive about SoftFormance?

A lot of the Elancers we've worked with in the past were third-party outsourcing work. SoftFormance is very professional. They would scope out the task ahead and present it to you. There were no questions about what was going to be done. It wasn't vague. I think being straightforward was a very good thing.

No, nothing yet.

Overall Score Overall, it was only the distance thing, and they could do nothing about it. Other than that, very nice dealings.
    They would describe what their deliverables were and when they would do it, and they would always deliver. I believe there was one time where they didn't make a delivery, but they just communicated and extended it, which is still good.
    The quality of work was there. For that same quality of work, you want to hire somebody stateside or something, so you pay more. They're not the cheapest compared to the other Elancers, but still, the quality is definitely there. It's very valuable.
    I really liked the way they worked, all the detail I got, and the craftsmanship of the code. The reason for that is that it is remote. When working with someone in a different country, there are hours of delay. That's something that we can work with.
    I would easily recommend them.

Python CMS Integration for Research Agency

"Every time I discuss requirements, we can iterate and communicate what is best for me, even though we don’t know the end result, yet."

2014 - Ongoing

The client is very experienced with a particular Python based tool for managing a large amount of academic research for his organization, but he needed a firm with even greater expertise to integrate some more complex modules.

1001 - 5000 employees

Taipei City, Taipei
TsungWei Hu
Researcher, Humanities Research

The upside for the client included the quality of the deliverable and the responsiveness of the team to changing requirements. The client would have wanted the service to be more affordable and felt nickeled and dimed at times.

GIS Center is in Academia Sinica. It’s a research center for humanity and social sciences. I am a research assistant.

What challenge were you trying to address with SoftFormance?

Because my project is almost based on Plone CMS, including some GIS spatial modules and based on the CMS [content management system] we tried to implement and include some useful modules and packages into the project. Some of them are throughout the site and some of them are the project-based technical integrations.

The CMS is a Python based software called Plone CMS. I’m also a Plone integrator. So I use this as a base to deploy on our projects. I needed a developer to help us implement some extra packages. They are all based on Python language. On our team, I am the most technical one and we have another colleague for digital design and requirement analysis. SoftFormance provided one to three people to help on our project.

How did you come to work with SoftFormance?

I found Vitalia on oDesk. He told me about a group of developers in his company. He told me their name is SoftFormance.

More than $10,000.

We’ve been working with them three years. We still work with them occasionally. Sometimes I can deal with the projects on my own. If the project size is bigger than I can handle, I will contract more tasks to SoftFormance.

My experience isn’t much about recruiting the developer on oDesk. I find that Vitalia is one of the best developers I’ve ever met. Not only is the quality good, but the documentation is also good. That’s also important. We work together but separated. We communicate completely via email and documentation. Vitalia and his team are very responsive. The first version took one week. If the result is not perfect, that’s OK because we can do improvements. That’s what I want.

How did SoftFormance perform from a project management standpoint?

We use a program to track the progress of our requirements and also the local developers' time working. So when it’s done, we can calculate the working hours and track the rate. We can clearly find out the result and its corresponding working hour. Sometimes there are some small parts, so we can track them on the issue tracker. Sometimes I pay the money one or two months later, so the project management issue tracker is very important for us to track the project details.

What did you find most impressive about SoftFormance?

The responsiveness and the quality. I compare it with my other experiences. I find that Vitalia and his team will do what they say. Sometimes he’s busy and can’t deliver the work, but he will respond and we can reschedule. Every time I discuss requirements, we can iterate and communicate what is best for me, even though we don’t know the end result, yet.

Are there any areas SoftFormance could improve?

It’s not a problem, but SoftFormance is growing. The team members are paid by the hour, so they lose some flexibility. It’s a common situation for companies. For me, I need to make sure the project is on budget. For example, one time a project was in its early stages and so the budget was not predetermined. I thought he would maybe not charge for this requirement gathering stage, but he did. It’s OK. However, it’s not a common thing in our country. We had to pay for time spent gathering requirements. That was my first time experiencing that.

Sometimes my task is not urgent, and they are busy, so they end up being two or three days behind. I will get the report about three or four days later, which is one day behind my expectation.
    My experience compares with another Eastern European developer. His quality is at least the same, but his rate is lower. He’s an individual developer. I compare it with that.