Smart Solutions in the Cloud

Smart Rockstars Team provides full cycle software development: business analysis, front-end, back-end and mobile development, DevOps and QA services.

Our clients strive to make the world a better place, and we are happy to help them along the way. Together we work in a way that is Simple flow, Sharp tech and Human team.

We have advanced domain-specific expertise in:

• Financial industry, Fintech products and solutions
  • Healthcare, Pharmaceutical industry
  • Energy sector

Lviv, Ukraine

Data Monitoring Solution for Oil & Gas Industry

Our Texas-based client is a leading technology company in the oil and gas analyzer market. Following a successful launch of their field-deployable optical analyzer, they required advanced software solutions to meet internal and customer needs.

Through our effective collaboration at every stage of software development, we designed a software product that was configured in such a flexible way, enabling features and functionalities not even envisioned before. The client reports that time on task has decreased by a factor of 10 and new analyses, business channels, and products are now available.

• Lab data summary
  • Data view
  • Reports and Charts
  • Configurable dashboards

Technologies: Java, Angular, MySQL, Leaflet, Swift, iCharts.

Data Analytics for Key Opinion Leaders Identification in Healthcare

Our customer, a leader in cloud-based software for the global healthcare industry has approached us with the need for an analytical KOL identification solution.

In a very short timespan, our team managed to develop an engine for KOL identification utilizing various data mining and natural language processing techniques, including named-entity recognition, semantic graph analysis and clustering.

• Data loaders
  • Entity recognition
  • Frequency analysis
  • KOLs representation
  • System integration

Technologies: Java, Node.js, Clojure, PostgreSQL, AWS, MongoDB, Angular 4.

Global Product Launch Solution for Pharmaceutical Industry

Our client provides a set of services and solutions for the global life sciences industry. In the attempt to protect their market share and to deliver new products and features faster, they started to collaborate with us.

The aim encompassed redesigning the existing platform which was a product launch management plan for the pharmaceutical industry, including adjusted templates and guidance, reports on different levels and overall progress status.

• Hierarchical project management tool
  • Detailed reports and charts
  • Configurable user interface layouts
  • Single sign-on security

Technologies: Java, Oracle, ExtJS, PostgreSQL, Highcharts.

Management and Reporting Solution for Internet Marketing

Our customer from Denmark desired to automate their business processes and required an analytical solution for the internet service companies in order to track and manage the network of numerous websites.

We managed to create the complex software by consolidating data from multiple sources into several analytical dashboards. As a result of the productive partnership, our client has significantly increased their profit and we’re happy to be part of the remarkable success.

Key features:

• Business processes overview in real time
  • Advanced Security
  • Resource management capabilities

Technologies: Java, Clojure, PostgreSQL, JavaScript, Highcharts.

Big Data Management Tool for Pharmaceutical Industry

Web service for importing and working with huge data sets. The tool allows to simplify data analytics process for medical and pharmaceutical studies.

• Big data import
  • Datasets editing, merging
  • Flexible filtering options
  • Analytical plugins
  • Data export

Technologies: Java, PHP, PostgreSQL, React.

Real-time Calculation Solution for Financial Market

Our client already had a solution, providing their customers with information about financial products, however, the functionality was limited. Our aim was to enrich the user experience and provide more dynamic features to the end user.

Our long-term and mutually beneficial partnership helped the client strengthen their technological competency and expand their presence in financial service market by winning new customers. The formulas, used for calculation were our client’s major asset and we maintained their easy extension and modification.

• Сalculation engine
  • Product list
  • Formula builder

Technologies: Java, Clojure, Storm, Redis, PostgreSQL, Angular.

Outsourced Software Dev for Client of Pharmaceutical Company

“[The client] was happy with the results, and I was happy with the collaboration."

July 2016 - Mar. 2017

Smart Rockstars did outsourced software development for a third party client, developing a platform for daily operations. They worked on a LAMP stack and customized the software to specific functionalities.

Germany
Jan Hargens
CEO, Hargens Business Analytics

The completed platform met expectations and is currently in use. The developer who handled the project oversaw its management effectively, collaborating well with both the client and the third party. They were flexible, accommodating, and dedicated, taking initiative to drive the project forward.

I am an independent consultant.

What challenge were you trying to address with Smart Rockstars?

At the time, I was developing a platform for managing pharmacies’ operations and daily business. I needed some assistance with software development, in terms of programming capacity. The overall aim was to fulfill the client’s specific wishes and needs.

Smart Rockstars worked with me on the platform using the LAMP stack—standard web technologies. The software was customized to the individual client’s request. They wanted to have some very specific functionalities.

They assigned a single developer, who worked closely with me on the software. We didn’t use a project manager.

How did you come to work with Smart Rockstars?

I chose them based on our personal relationship so I didn’t look at other teams. I had worked with some of their developers on other jobs a couple of years ago.

It cost between $30,000 and $40,000.

We started working with Smart in July 2016. The project took nine months to complete. There were some delays caused by the client, in terms of changing specifications.

The client didn’t differentiate between me—as the primary provider—and Smart Rockstars. They were happy with the results, and I was happy with the collaboration I had. We delivered a nice product, which is currently being used by the client. There were no unresolved issues with it.

How did Smart Rockstars perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a close collaboration. I was part of the development, along with Smart Rockstars’ resource. That person did a good job in terms of self-management. All the tasks were done in a timely and precise manner. The communication with the end-client was handled by me.

They have a very generalist approach, providing not only a programmer, but also setting up the infrastructure, and performing administration tasks on the machines. I appreciated the flexibility offered when moving from pure development to setting up systems. It was good to have everything provided from a single point of contact.

No, they worked well for me.

The advice would be specific to the client’s purpose and the skills they’re looking for. I cannot provide any general comments.

CRM Platform Dev for Affiliate Marketing Company

"They took a leap in faith in me. They’ve always been very good to work with."

Feb. 2015 - Ongoing

Smart Rockstars developed a web-based, JavaScript-driven CRM from the ground up, incorporating API calls and data crawlers.

Denmark
President, Affiliate Marketing Company

The CRM creates a competitive advantage for users. Smart’s team is communicative; flexible enough to suggest alternatives and also follow precise directions; and always learning. Adherence to project timelines could be better, but the quality of the solution largely outweighs this concern.

We’re an online marketing company that does affiliate marketing, AdWords, and media buying.

What challenges were you trying to address with Smart Rockstars?

We needed a CRM built from scratch.

The project was small, but it evolved over the years. I went to them with specs I’d drawn on a piece of paper, then they built a web-based platform in JavaScript. It serves as the back office of my company, so I can see all the APIs and data from different web crawlers, including earning from sites, each campaign, and work hours. Any number you can imagine is in there.

There are at least 10 people working on various aspects of the project: server, frontend, Java, etc.

How did you come to work with Smart Rockstars?

My wife is from the town they are from in Ukraine. Through a couple of subsequent connections, I was referred to Smart’s CTO, who then was with a different company. Meanwhile, I got three quotes (including theirs) and they were the ones who came with the most price friendly quote. They also took a big risk because if their first test wasn’t good, I wasn’t risking much.

I worked with the CTO’s team until he and a few others split off to form Smart, at which point I went with them. They took a leap in faith in me. They’ve always been very good to work with.

I’ve spent between $100,000–$150,000.

We started working together in February 2015 and the work is ongoing.

The CRM is live. The original plan was to make it a subscription service so other online companies could use. I know most online affiliates who have a similar business like me don’t keep track of anything. I decided to keep it to myself, however, to maintain a competitive edge.

How did Smart Rockstars perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a good relationship and communicate well with them. They’re easy to get on Skype. We have a group chat with the Smart team. If it’s a critical issue, I’ll write it there. Otherwise, I have my own project management system and their team members have an account there. They follow my instructions with feedback, labeling, clearing, and moving it from one folder to another. If you’re a client that knows project management, they really follow your instructions. If you don’t, it might be difficult.

Sometimes, you might sit there wondering how you’re going to fix a problem or even put into words what it is that you want. They’re able to help us to explain what I mean. They give us ideas, but they also follow directions (including design requests) to a T. They tell us what the fastest and best way is. It’s very good especially if you don’t have a CTO in house.

In terms of handling data through API calls, they learned it along the way working with me. Now, they can work out many different APIs and documentations across many years and many of my partners. They’re quick to assess when something is slow and why it’s slow, but give me the space to decide whether I want to invest the time and money to upgrade. Even though I’m not a big-money client, I get the services and people I need.

They can keep deadlines better. They said I’m the only client that’s billing hours. Their other clients have full-time employees and it’s easier for them to track time. They kept me because we worked so long together. When I say deadlines, they might come back and say there wouldn’t be a problem with deadlines if you hired a person full-time.

I would recommend them.

Outsourced Web Software Dev Projects for Independent Consultant

"I'm a very pleased client; they're a pleasure to work with."

May 2015 - Ongoing

Smart Rockstars does BI for web-based solutions and app development on iOS and Android. Projects encompass both LAMP and Windows-based stacks. Analysis is performed on Python, SQL, and Query, and others.

Austin, Texas
Independant Consultant

High-quality mobile apps reflect development processes defined by accessibility, and expert technical skill. While mostly consistent, timeliness does fluctuate, but responsiveness is exceptional. Customers can expect affordable rates for even the most complex services.

I’m an executive at a health analytics company, but have also worked with Smart Rockstars when I was at an oil and gas company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Smart Rockstars?

The first engagement occurred when the people at Smart Rockstars worked under another company name. That project focused on processing non-structured medical data. Another project involved customizing web-based software and services for a highly-demanding pharmaceutical company.

I’ve worked with them on several different projects. For health analytics, we partnered on business intelligence for marketing pharmaceutical clients’ applications. They had to identify and address the following: opinion leaders and key organizations in each medical field, and the physicians working on specific diseases.

They developed both iOS and Android apps for the oil and gas company that was under my direction. For one project, the key challenge was building a state-of-the-art BI system for a large data source that was constantly streaming into the organization.

In total, the team did analysis using Python, SQL, and Big Query, which is a Google platform. They’ve worked on both LAMP stack and Windows-based stacks. In other engagements, they also used MySQL, BigQuery, PHP, and Apache.

That first group I worked with was approximately 40 people. About 10 or 15 members from that team then formed Smart RockStars. At this point, I’ve likely worked with everyone there.

How did you come to work with Smart Rockstars?

I engaged the same group under a different company name when I was promoted to manage overseas development at another firm. Subsequently, I moved to the oil and gas company, where we needed additional resources for web development and BI. I hired them – then as Smart Rockstars – due to past experience. I stayed with them when I moved to the medical analysis company.

Counting all the engagements and companies, I would estimate I have spent around $300,000 working with Smart RockStars. I continue to work with them now.

I started working with Smart Rockstars in May 2015 and the partnership is on-going.

Their quality and timeliness stands out among other groups. We’re particularly happy with their work on mobile apps. For example, I submitted a bug fix last night at midnight and woke up this morning to find it resolved. That happens regularly.  Whether it is a bug or an action item - they take care of it very fast.

Their rates are very good. American firms charge much more for even the simplest services. This team is much cheaper, even for difficult coding.

How did Smart Rockstars perform from a project management standpoint?

Recently, the team completed an Android app by November 25 when the deadline was the 30th. They hit the mark despite the already aggressive schedule. But overall it fluctuates. Usually, they’re a week ahead. If they are late, it isn't more than a week late.

The team is very accessible. I can call them or Skype whenever I have a question or request for a new feature. That convenience is awesome.

I’ve worked with 3 other groups on web-based solutions. There’s no comparison between them and the other 2. Not only does Smart Rockstars perform better, but they’re a whole order of magnitude cheaper. I’ve never had a bad experience with them.

Overall Score I'm a very pleased client; they're a pleasure to work with.
    Value for cost is off-the-charts high.
    I recommend them every chance I get.