Ruby on Rails Developmemt

Sloboda Studio is a team of over 40 people including Ruby on Rails & frontend developers along with project managers, QA and support staff. We work with a wide variety of clients from startups to major corporations from Western Europ and North America.

We gathered expertise in developing apps in following industries:
- Fin Tech (Finance news analytics, data science)
- Booking systems (taxi and real estate)
- E-commerce (Full featured CMS and self-made shopping platforms)
- Gambling Services (Resources for players, poker tools)
- Communities Sites (Sports, communities and media portals)

Technologies we use:
 - Backend: Ruby, Rails
 - Frontend: AngularJS, JavaScript, HTML5, CSS, SASS, HAML, SLIM, JQuery, Bootstrap
 - DB: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB

Lenina avenu 40/3
    KL
    Ukraine

FourWalls: production http://gofourwalls.com/

FourWalls is an E-commerce website that provides furniture and interior items.
The basic concept - sets of furniture for living room / bedroom for a small / medium / large rooms.

- Autoconversion currency and amount of the order
- Editor rooms with furniture, including preset options admin
- Designer Portal
- A system of roles and access

Technologies: Rails 4.2.1, Ruby 2.2.2, Postgresql db, Shoppe, Sidekiq, Devise, CanCanCan, third party API’s integration, JS, JSON, jQuery, interact.js

taxipixi: production http://www.taxipixi.com/

TaxiPixi is the first Indian’s multi-operator and, perhaps, fastest and easiest taxi-booking website - it takes less than 1 minute to book a cab. Working on queries optimization and performance, adding / editing analytics, charts, geo-location API connection.

The Main tasks:
- Implement online payments ability in multi-currency environment.
- Implement incentives and rewarding service for drivers by custom conditions.

Technologies: Ruby 2.1.2, Rails 3.2.13, CoffeeScript, Slim, MongoDB + moped +
mongoid, AWS SES, Google geo-location API, Sidekiq+Redis.

The world of Poker: production http://mirpokera.com/

MirPokera.com - Community for poker players. This platform contains tutorials, different videos and poker school that allows users to achieve success in poker world.

Main challengies:
- Upgrade rails from 3.1. to 4.1.
- Creation of banners with functional of gathering statistical data and processing of results
- Long-term support of the project with updating of functionality

Technologies: js, jQuery, API, JSON, elasticsearch, Ruby on Rails 4.1, Ruby 2.1, HyperComments

City-falcon: production http://www.cityfalcon.com/

City-falcon is a Real-time financial news and tweets for active traders and investors.
The startup collects and scans more than 200 leading financial publications. The project received recognition from Google and Twitter.

Main tasks:
- Complex data mining process
- search algorithm implementation
- db adjustments
- external API
- front-end
- legacy code support

Technologies for server-side: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis (Resque and his friends), Grape micro-framework, Twitter API, GNIP API

Shaken Cocktails: production https://www.shakencocktails.com/

Shaken Cocktails (https://www.shakencocktails.com/) is a resource for supply of ingredients for cocktails. Customer can order a box with unique and interesting spirits. The box will be delivered on a monthly subscription.

Main tasks:

- Refactoring of existing code and migration of DB structure for new Trailblazer architecture

- Implementation of the process of ordering and management of subscriptions

- Stripe setting and integration

- CloudFlare IP Geolocation setting

- Slack integration

Technologies: Rails 4.2.4.; Ruby 2.2.0.; Trailblazer (gem); Stripe; Guard; Bourbon/Bitters (SASS); ActiveAdmin; Slack-notifier

App Development for Online Intelligence Gaming Platform

"Sloboda Studio is a customer-minded company."

2016 - 2017

Sloboda Studio provided from-scratch development on an app for psychological testing, allowing simultaneous matching using multiple subjects. After deployment, they will assist with future updates.

Sweden
Founder, Gaming Platform

The completed engine currently supports experiments successfully and meets all requested specifications. Sloboda Studio’s problem-solving focus, cost-effective workflow, and expert feedback continue to ensure a viable final product.

I am a university researcher working on a side project. It is a platform for conducting psychological experiments with multiple subjects at the same time, which I plan to expand into a for-profit solution.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sloboda Studio?

I needed a matching engine which could group several individuals on a trading platform. I had used outsourcing companies which weren’t as good as I expected, and I was looking for someone who could solve the issue of matching potentially hundreds of individuals.

From a visual perspective, I had already made a basic design for the platform; it had been implemented already, but it had a poor engine. Sloboda Studio rebuilt it from scratch, using the same visual framework. The software was developed using Ruby on Rails and some Java.

How did you come to work with Sloboda Studio?

I shortlisted some companies on Upwork. I moved away from the idea of using single freelancers working on their own. I wanted to find companies that had multiple resources, as well as reputations which they couldn’t afford to lose, which I why I selected Sloboda Studio.

How much have you invested with Sloboda Studio?

The cost of Sloboda Studio’s work has been around 100,000 Danish Krone [$14,600] so far.

We started working with Sloboda Studio around a year ago. I have some further plans, but I’m using the system for my experiments at the moment. I will definitely use Sloboda Studio again.

Could you share any evidence that would demonstrate the productivity, quality of work, or impact of the engagement?

The quality of the work is great. From a service and project management perspective especially, Sloboda Studio is very good. I haven’t tested the engine’s limits, but it’s working within the agreed specs. I don’t expect it to handle many thousands of individuals at once, but it can do what I need it to do now.

How did Sloboda Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Sloboda Studio was referred to me by another one of their clients, who also told me about Slack, which is a great platform for these types of projects. We can communicate via different channels, and I was able to provide feedback and address questions as if Sloboda Studio’s team was working in the same office.

What did you find most impressive about Sloboda Studio?

Sloboda Studio is a customer-minded company. They are willing to go out of their way to understand and solve problems. Sloboda Studio was also easy to contact and always available.

Are there any areas Sloboda Studio could improve?

Our lead programmer was changed twice during the project, as was the project manager. I would have liked to continue using the same people.

Sloboda Studio was always on time.

ERP and Mobile App Development for Cell Phone Charging Device

"I really like their flexibility in terms of adapting to the customer's needs."

2015 - Ongoing

Sloboda Studio developed an internal ERP solution from scratch, operating as an extended part of the in-house team. They now apply their acquired React Native skills by creating a mobile app.

Zurich, Switzerland
Can Olcer
Co-Founder & CTO, Battere

In addition to delivering on-target solutions within the established timeline, Sloboda Studio also learned new skills to support the initial pilot project. Their flexibility in adapting to requirements and adherence to the workflow continue to promote a successful relationship.

I’m the co-founder and CTO of Battere. We’re a Switzerland-based company. We rent power packs in convenience stores for people who are on the go and run out of battery. Our rental batteries come pre-charged with solar power.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sloboda Studio?

We have two projects with Sloboda. The first one is a Ruby on Rails application that we use internally to track our production processes. The second one is a mobile application, where we used the React Native framework and Node.js.

The initial project was the internal ERP [enterprise resource planning] system, and then we started with the React Native project on top of that. The first project ran for the first year and a half, and the last six months have been spent on the second project. Both projects were built by Sloboda Studio from scratch.

How did you come to work with Sloboda Studio?

At my previous company, I was working with a different Ukraine-based agency which specialized in Python and Django. I had a good experience working with Ukrainians in general. A friend recommended Sloboda to me because I was looking for a React agency this time. We also contacted Russian and American agencies, especially for the React Native part, the frontend. At the time, Sloboda was not offering React Native as a service. In the end, we decided to go with Sloboda, and one of their JavaScript developers actually learned React Native on this project.

We had a pilot program with them, and it turned out well. I preferred to stay with Sloboda, rather than going to a more experienced agency in React Native because I know it’s hard to find a good agency, and I was happy with what I had. I was ready to take that risk.

How much have you invested with Sloboda Studio?

Sloboda works like an extended part of our team, so it’s not project-based. We have two developers from them, and they work as part of our internal team. It’s hard to say what the product costs are, but our total cost has been between $10,000–$50,000.

The project began in 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

We don’t have metrics, but I can say that the quality of the developers from Sloboda Studio is good. As a CTO, if I wasn’t happy with the quality, we wouldn’t have been working with them for almost two years. They met the expectations of the project regarding deliverables.

How did Sloboda Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m very happy with that. I don’t have any bad experiences in project management with Sloboda Studio.

What did you find most impressive about Sloboda Studio?

I really like their flexibility in terms of adapting to the customer's needs. I wanted to do a lot of my apps in React Native. Sloboda didn’t offer the service, but they agreed to start a pilot project, and now it’s a success. I think that was really cool. I didn’t have to resort to another agency.

Are there any areas Sloboda Studio could improve?

I have nothing to suggest. I’m really happy with the relationship.

I never had any delays.
    Of three developers from Sloboda Studio's team, two of them are a very good value for the money. One was a junior to mid-level developer, so it wasn’t a perfect result, but they're very good in general.
    There are some imperfections here and there, but they meet my expectations. Sloboda Studio's team listens to feedback and incorporates it into their daily work.
    I already did recommend Sloboda Studio twice.

Event Platform Development for IT Conference

"Sloboda's project manager is always there to help me."

2015 - Ongoing

Inspired by existing designs, Sloboda built an event management platform with e-commerce features using Ruby on Rails. A mobile version is also being developed.

Ukraine
Anastasiia Gordiievych
COO, Bright Outsource

The customized system is more reliable than similar products in the market, which is largely due to the quality of Slododa’s work. The assigned dev is knowledgeable and responsive, proactively suggesting improvements for the product.

We organize IT business conferences for executives as well as sales and business development managers in Ukraine and Belarus. We are also planning our first conference for the Polish market. We hold classes for sales and business education. I am the chief operations officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sloboda?

We were looking for a system that could give us the opportunity to manage the participants list, schedule, and staff. It should also let us sell tickets and handle other tasks during conferences. Our competitors typically use Red Payments for this task, but we were not willing to pay 7%–10% of a ticket's price for the operation. We decided to create our own system for processing payments, and it proved to be a good decision. A week before a big event, one of the biggest systems of this kind on the market crashed. It could have been catastrophic for us, so we've seen the importance of developing these solutions ourselves.

We had already designed two screens, and Sloboda created the rest of the interface based on the style of our initial work. They also worked on the development and provided consultation on what would be the most suitable choices for our platform. We are working on a mobile version of the site at the moment.

How did you come to work with Sloboda?

I also live in Kharkov, where Sloboda is located, so I'd heard a lot about the company. I had also met their CEO. It was important for me to start a project with someone I could trust.

How much have you invested with Sloboda?

The cost of Sloboda's work has been $70,000.

We started working with Sloboda 2 ½ ago. We are in preparation for the Poland conference in April 2017 and continue to work with Sloboda.

I am quite happy with the decision I've made, and I wouldn't want to work with anyone else. If I have a problem, I can write to my developer from Sloboda's team and know that he will address it even after hours.

How did Sloboda perform from a project management standpoint?

We are usually within budget. There have only been a couple of critical moments due to an update to the payment system. Sloboda's project manager is always there to help me. We communicate face to face and follow a Scrum process for setting up tasks. This is a comfortable approach for me.

What did you find most impressive about Sloboda?

Our developer is a very knowledgeable person and is able to propose additional or alternative features for our platform.

Are there any areas Sloboda could improve?

We could use more developers since the work can be too much for a single person.

We work through the same time zone and can contact Sloboda's team even on weekends and evenings. For example, I’ve raised an issue during the night and received a completion report by the next morning.
    If the person needed Ruby on Rails development, I would recommend Sloboda.

MVP Development for Digital Marketplace for Interpreters

"Sloboda Studio understood that we have a deadline, so they went above and beyond my expectations."

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

Sloboda Studio developed a website using Ruby on Rails and JQuery for the back and front-end and then integrated Google Analytics for tracking. The team was also in charge of QA and open-source projects.

Oslo, Norway
Gautam Chandna
CEO, Skiwo.com

Sloboda Studio has the ability to understand the project and take initiative. The team has excellent project management which helped in releasing projects on the right date. The language barrier and the front end work are their areas for improvement.

Skiwo stands for skilled workers. Our company was started 4 months ago, offering an open marketplace in which interpreters can create an account and receive assignments from anywhere in the world, allowing businesses to click a button and work with speakers of any language.

One of the main goals of our project is to help the refugee crisis. Many of the people coming here don't speak European languages, so clinics, hospitals, shops, police, and so on, can click a button on our app or website and have a direct video translation.

I am the Chief Executive Officer and a co-founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Sloboda Studio?

The business challenge was mostly economical; we couldn't afford to hire engineers in Oslo. I attempted to outsource in many different places, connecting to 29 different individuals in total in the last 4 months.

We've come to have a team of 10 employed consultants, 8 of them being from Sloboda Studio. During tight deadlines, we employed as many as 10 people from Sloboda Studio. The frontend and backend of our website has been entirely built by Sloboda Studio. They used Ruby on Rails, as well as jQuery on the frontend. Sloboda Studio used many third-party APIs like Google Analytics for tracking, which was integrated quite nicely. We use SendGrid for emails and we are deployed on Heroku, which Sloboda Studio managed as well. They're also in charge of quality assurance, using our specs for test coverage.

We have used Sloboda Studio for many other gems and open-source projects. In total, we have implemented 74 components, which is a normal figure for any open-source project.

Sloboda Studio built our initial minimum viable product and are now in charge of full development.

How did you come to work with Sloboda Studio?

I searched for Ruby on Rails booking system projects. I noticed that the quality of individual engineers on freelance websites was always questionable. They didn't always work alone, even though they presented themselves as individuals, instead working for companies. As such, I didn't have a guarantee of always working with the same person. Instead of looking for freelancers, I looked for existing projects based on my stack, found the companies responsible for them and contacted each one. One of those was Sloboda Studio. I initially decided to give each one smaller tasks requiring 10-20 hours of work, mostly on the frontend, so that there was a better chance of actually using their output, instead of throwing it away. I hired an individual from Sloboda in mid-February 2016 for 2 weeks. He worked fast and well. I liked his quality, so I decided to add 2 more people for the backend, growing our team slowly to 8 people.

We started working with Sloboda Studio in February 2016. We launched an internal prototype after 4 months of development, which we tested with interpreters and businesses. The public product was launched last week, after an additional 4 months of development. We plan to cater more towards improving the product in order to provide better onboarding and an improved experience after the launch. We have a continuing relationship with Sloboda Studio.

Sloboda Studio implemented tests for the work on their own, without being asked. I appreciated that this was brought up. Sloboda Studio also came up with many good ideas by themselves, having open discussions with me, weeding through the bad ideas. I missed this approach from other agencies. I like being told when something is right or wrong. I did work with another agency in Poland which simply couldn't see the big picture, coming to waste a number of hours. This hasn't been the case with Sloboda. They've been very open and have also worked overtime on weekends and during late hours, when necessary. Sloboda Studio understood that we have a deadline, so they went above and beyond my expectations.

How did Sloboda Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

I have only been working with one person from Sloboda Studio for project management. She has been very good, following up well and helping convert ideas into tasks and schedules. For any engineering project, the schedule will never be as accurate as it should. We never finished anything exactly in the number of hours predicted, but we've always been able to release on the right date, even if with extra hours. I'm a coder myself, so I've always been able to push the work ahead.

What distinguishes Sloboda Studio from other providers?

Comparing Sloboda Studio with other agencies I've worked with, I can say that they've been able to understand why we are working on this project.

I had our team from Sloboda Studio come to Oslo and spend 10 days on the project, which helped me explain our idea to them. They've come to understand the purpose behind our project and have come up with good ideas, helping me with planning and projections.

Is there anything Sloboda Studio could have improved or done differently?

Some of the members from Sloboda Studio could improve their English. They are taking classes, but this is still an issue. A bit more improvement on the frontend work would also be welcomed. This is partly due to the fact that we've prioritized backend tasks and only have one person working for frontend development.

Sloboda has met deadlines, but also overshot the number of work hours.
    Sloboda always informed me when the work would extend beyond our agreement. I always had a 1-2-week notice for any kind of overshooting, but things did get more expensive.
    Quality of work is not the best, but this has been because I've pushed on deadlines. I can see the corners that Sloboda Studio cut, and they have been justified.
    I have recommended Sloboda.