Human-centered branding & design studio

SILVER VERIFIED

Skidmore is a strategic creative studio (like an agency, but more agile and specialized) that helps organizations grow through expert branding and design. Our team of writers, strategists, and designers knows how to craft brands that get today’s consumers excited about products on shelves, online, and in their everyday lives.

We’re obsessed with two things: 1) branding and 2) brands that bring people joy. Our portfolio reflects these obsessions, featuring an eclectic mix of food, lifestyle, and just-plain-fun products, organizations, and experiences. It’s an interesting little niche we’ve created for ourselves, that we simply refer to as “food & fun.”

Our studio practices human-centered branding and design, with a unique creative approach honed over six decades in the creative services biz. We go deep quickly, working collaboratively with our clients and their customers to craft beautiful, compelling, effective branding that wins consumers and meets real business goals.

1959
Detroit, MI
  • 1265 Griswold Street #6
    Detroit, MI 48226

Xenith, Inspired Organics, Dave & Busters, AmRock, Belle Tire, Halo Burger, Bon Bon Bon, Motor City Pizza Co., Universal Orlando, Ellis Island Tea, ZingTrain, Michigan Farm to Freezer, Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre

Amrock Brand Identity Image

Amrock Brand Identity

Amrock recognized the need to revitalize their brand to compete in the growing “fintech” space and sought our expertise in creating a fresh, fully realized brand that balanced their vibrant internal culture with their whip-smart expertise.

Inspired Organics Brand Identity & Packaging Design Image

Inspired Organics Brand Identity & Packaging Design

To compete in the booming organics market, the team behind Inspired Organics (iO) asked for a brand that would stand out to the everyday organic shopper. Our strategy and design work shaped the brand into an eye-catching, store-wide line of products that are flying off shelves in small- to mid-sized groceries across the Midwest.

"iO sales results were nearly double what was projected in the first year. We never would

have gotten those kinds of results on our own."

—Joyce Saranathan, VP of Business Development

ScoreSide Brand Identity Image

ScoreSide Brand Identity

ScoreSide is a micro-donation app platform that harnesses the passion of rivalry to inspire engagement. Users wager small amounts on teams, players, or specific outcomes of a game and any winnings are automatically donated to the players’ charity of choice. We were tasked with creating a mark that had all the energy of its flag-waving, do-gooder audience.

“Skidmore is such a knowledgable, adaptive partner that truly set

us up for success. Our leadership team is 100% united in our love for the new brand. A great experience getting to great results is a rare thing.”

–Ben Bakken, CEO of ScoreSide

Xenith Rebrand & Launch Image

Xenith Rebrand & Launch

Founded in 2006, Xenith made a name for itself with brand new football helmet technology that gave athletes superior protection and a customizable fit. But Xenith’s brand couldn’t support their expanding line of forward-thinking protective gear, so it was time to evolve.

After an intensive discovery and strategy process, Skidmore delivered a comprehensive brand overhaul aimed at the customer who matters most:

competitive high-school athletes.

The new identity separates the brand from its aging, entrenched competitors and readies the company to expand their product line to include new cutting-edge gear in 2018 and beyond.

Halo Burger Brand Identity, Menu, and Website Image

Halo Burger Brand Identity, Menu, and Website

Halo Burger is on a path to become Michigan’s premier QSR brand. But change can be hard, especially for an almost-100-year-old brand with deep roots in a tightly knit community. The Halo team tapped us to bring freshness and scalability to the iconic chain while keeping its nostalgic, mom-and-pop feel intact.

Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre Brand Identity Image

Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre Brand Identity

Formerly known as Chene Park, Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre is a Detroit institution. Set on the bank of the Detroit River, the outdoor music venue invites local and international artists to its stage all summer long. It’s a beautiful place to catch a show on a warm evening, especially with the venue’s iconic blue drink in hand. We helped The Aretha team create a logo and identity worthy of its rename—and its namesake.

Cohesive Branding Style Guide & Toolkit for LED Manufacturer

“Our team loved the new brand for the upcoming year. They gasped when they saw the catalog”

Sep. 2018 - Ongoing

Skidmore Studio created a new brand for an LED lighting manufacturer. In addition to developing a brand style guide, they’ve designed branded packaging and created a new look for a product catalog.

Ottawa Lake, Michigan
Director of Marketing, LED Manufacturer

Internal stakeholders have been overwhelmingly thrilled with the final deliverables. Skidmore Studio delivered a branding strategy that will freshen things up and be used for a long time to come. As a result, they’re a key partner in helping this brand grow.

I’m the marketing director of a family-owned and operated company that creates LED lighting for bikes, outdoor experiences, and equipment.

We’re a B2B business in that we sell to mass retailers, but we also have a B2C element.

What challenge were you trying to address with Skidmore Studio?

Initially, we engaged with Skidmore Studio to create a cohesive brand style guide and tool kit for our packaging.

They determined everything from photography to the style and color of each box. They created a strategy for packaging across all of our different product lines.

They addressed how all of our products could come together to represent our brand as a cohesive unit.

Recently, we’ve been working with them on our 2020–2021 product catalog, which introduced new branding that will take us to the next level. They came up with a new brand direction.

I’ve worked with Drew, producer Amanda, and sean, our graphic designer.

How did you come to work with Skidmore Studio?

When our COO was looking, he received a couple of recommendations from individuals in the area. Then we did some research on vendors, and Skidmore Studio’s expertise working with brands of all sizes really appealed to us. We chose them over others because of their strategic insight and their focus on building brands over time.

When I was brought on, it was clear that they could help us grow and become a nationally recognizable brand.

The product catalog alone was $15,000 and we’ve spent more on excel sheets and the style guide. I believe it’s less than $50,000.

The project started in September 2018 and it’s ongoing.

Our team loved the new brand for the upcoming year. They gasped when they saw the catalog. So far, we’ve received good feedback from our representatives in the field. Our materials are fresh and attention-grabbing.

They did a sensational job, taking different feedback, and brought their own creativity and expertise to fully develop that style guide. They’re poised to freshen things up and evolve nicely with us.

I set a high bar for agencies, and Skidmore Studio delivers at the level I expect from them.

How did Skidmore Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re communicative and transparent. We converse over email and phone calls.

Their creativity is unmatched. They take cockamamie client ideas and turn them into strategic, measurable deliverables that make sense and can evolve with our brand rather than having a short shelf life.

They’re also flexible and can easily pivot when needed.

The only thing I could say would be to do one last proofreading of the final deliverable. It’s a fairly minor thing. Overall, they do proof their work, though, and they deliver based on the scope of work.

I found that developing a creative brief for myself was very helpful while working with Skidmore Studio. By outlining my goals and objectives before I talk to them, they’re able to bring more of their own creativity to the scope of work. We’ve always been happy with the results.

Full-Service Branding & Strategy for Restaurant Group

“Skidmore has been very helpful in broadening my thinking and giving me another perspective.”

Jan. 2020 - Ongoing

Skidmore Studio is helping a restaurant group revamp their branding and strategy. Deliverables include a company overview, a new logo, revamped marketing collateral and product packaging, signage, and graphics.

Joe Spencer
President, Lcg Foods Inc

Skidmore Studio is laying the foundation for the city-wide restaurant group to expand across the state and become more corporate. The flexible and creative team has proven capable of translating business goals into tangible deliverables. They’re diligent about incorporating the client’s feedback.

Lcg Foods is a restaurant business in Michigan. We have a couple of revenue streams and business entities under the Lcg banner, including the Louisiana Creole Gumbo restaurants, food trucks, and food service. I’m the president of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Skidmore Studio?

We were trying to grow from what we termed a ‘mom and pop operation’ to a corporate one. We have plans to grow from a city business to a regional one across Michigan over the next 3–4 years, and we were looking at how we might smarten up our branding and develop new strategies.

Skidmore Studio did a pretty in-depth interview with us about where we were and how we saw ourselves. They looked at how the public saw us and our operations, trying to see where we were and where we wanted to go. We talked that through, and when we were done, they provided some feedback.

They helped us redefine and redesign our logo, which we’re starting to implement now. Skidmore also looked at our collateral, including product packaging, and came up with some design ideas for that. They helped us develop some slogans and product statements that we could use in our marketing. They put together a statement overview of who we are, along with a description of our products that we can use in public statements and marketing.

They’re helping us define the look of our third restaurant in terms of its interior, signage, and graphics.

I’ve worked with Drew (CEO & President) and their design lead. We’ve had conferences with five people from their side, and we’ve interacted with 3–4 of them, both design and content people. Drew has always been there to see what was going on and to give his input.

How did you come to work with Skidmore Studio?

I attended the 10,000 Small Businesses training program, which is sponsored by Goldman Sachs. They have local entities that train small businesses on growth development. I was there around 2014, and I met Drew as a result of that program. I had some familiarity with Skidmore, remembering them from when I was working in broadcasting. They were involved in some automotive work we did back then, and I had a pretty positive image of the level of work Skidmore does and the kind of company they are.

When I was facing this growth challenge for my business, I thought about Drew and decided to reach out. We had a formal discussion about the project, and we came up with some ideas about how we’d work together and what he might be able to do for us. We engaged him for the service based on that.

We’ve paid them around $35,000.

The project kicked off in January 2020, and we have an agreement to work with Skidmore through to the end of the year.

We’re just getting to the point of actually implementing the deliverables and doing some of the things we want to with our marketing. We spent the first six months working on the design and discussing our company. We’ll set up some metrics as we move forward, and we expect to see some results by the end of 2020.

How did Skidmore Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Communication has been good. They’ve been very flexible in terms of accommodating our schedule and incorporating our feedback into their work.

They listen in order to see how they can serve. They have a creative team that’s able to translate what they understand about our business into something that’s usable.

The pandemic has really put a damper on what we’re doing because we’ve had to do things through Zoom meetings since March. That’s a lot different than sitting across the table from them and writing things on a whiteboard. We’ve been successfully moving forward, but the pandemic has changed the way we’re working.

I’m learning as I’m going, so I don’t want to come out sounding like an expert. As a small company, we needed someone that could bring a vision of what the broader world would accept. Many times, we’re in a bubble as a small company, and we won’t see beyond the day-to-day context. Skidmore has been very helpful in broadening my thinking and giving me another perspective. I can’t give advice to someone getting ready to face this challenge, because I’m working through it myself.

Overall Score It’s been a good experience.
    I’m not disappointed in any way.
    I’m still learning about them and formulating my opinion on the results of their work.

Branding for Leadership Development Consulting Firm

"Their team has a powerful gift of taking a lot of information about a brand and putting it into four words or less."

Oct. - Dec. 2019

Skidmore Studio developed a brand identity for a leadership development consulting firm. They directed a naming process and curated a brand aesthetic including colors. They created a logo and style sheets.

Novi, Michigan
Steve Dion
Founder & CEO, Dion Leadership

Skidmore Studio produced satisfying deliverables that enabled a successful brand launch. The team provided a detailed project timeline and managed the project effectively to meet deadlines consistently. They offered industry expertise and unique skills that facilitated a productive partnership.

I’m the founder and CEO of a leadership development consulting firm called Dion Leadership.

What challenge were you trying to address with Skidmore Studio?

I broke off a consulting partnership with another organization. I hired Skidmore Studio to help us with the strategic launch of our new company and brand.

Skidmore Studio strategized around how to market a new brand. Their team helped me to create a new proposition with a set of consulting services to be crystal-clear in the marketplace. They did a competitive analysis of the market place and then provided us with a brand message and tone. Their team led us through a naming process and developed the brand colors and look. They provided style sheets and a customized logo.

There’s a core team of three people from Skidmore Studio. Behind the scenes, I worked with five other people.

How did you come to work with Skidmore Studio?

I briefly interacted with Skidmore Studio as a referral relationship through a mutual client. I was impressed with their organization, so I called them. I got a couple of quotes from a couple of different firms. After looking at the different quotes, I thought that they’d be the best fit for us.

It was a flat fee project of $25,000.

We started working together in October 2019 and the project concluded in December. After a while, I may bring them in again to refresh the brand.

The success of the project comes from meeting the timeline and us being satisfied with the output. We looked to launch a brand to my satisfaction, which they did.

How did Skidmore Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Skidmore Studio was responsive. They dedicated a project manager who worked with us throughout the project. In the beginning, they laid out milestones that we put on the calendar. Every time their team had a date, they met it.  Their team was open to feedback. Even at the end of the project, the executive on the team asked for a meeting to receive feedback.

Their creative team has an uncanny way of hearing the common themes from various interviews and articulating those into a clear brand. Their team has a powerful gift of taking a lot of information about a brand and putting it into four words or less. Skidmore Studio brings a depth of knowledge and experience. They were perfectly spot on.

They’ve done a lot of projects with consumer brands. Their team didn’t have historical projects in our space. If they get more clients like us, they could gain more perspective on B2B consulting brands. That being said, Skidmore Studio was a quick study and understood our business space in short order.

Dedicate the time to do your homework and come in with a clear point of view. This work comes from the subject matter experts at the company. Their team can give a better output if you can articulate your marketplace and history.

I gave them a tall order and they rose to the occasion.
    They’re not the cheapest but they bring a depth of experience.

Branding for Sports Engagement Platform

"Their team was incredibly talented and easy to work with."

Dec. 2019 - Feb. 2020

Skidmore helped a sports engagement platform rebrand itself after a name change. The team endeavored to deliver a brand identity that would demonstrate its mission and goals in a creative way.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Benjamin Bakken
CEO & Founder, Scoreside

Skidmore Studio delivered a brand identity that's greatly increased user and partner engagement. Thanks to their work, multiple parties have reached out to give great feedback. They were able to execute within a tight deadline and the workflow was incredibly seamless. They're truly able to deliver.

CauseLine Labs are the makers of ScoreSide, a consumer engagement platform for sports fans and charitable givers, teams, sponsors and other entities. I am a founder and CEO

For what projects/services did your company hire Skidmore Studio?

We used Skidmore to redesign our brand and identity after a name change.

Our goals were to have an identity and brand that demonstrate our mission, personality, and goals.

We found Skidmore through personal recommendations and vetting

The project was a very quick-turn around in order to be present in a version 2 of our mobile platform. We needed a logo and UI personality that we could start from that would work for mobile, web, print, and broadcast.

We needed to work with only a few options (so, whatever was presented needed to be a choice, but not a long exploration or search for validation) and we needed exceptionally fast turnaround.

Our team was immediately given an account rep, two designers, and a production manager. The president worked directly with us as the account rep to manage the tight timeline and to make sure we felt valued.

With our new brand and identity, we have greatly increased user engagement as well as partner engagement. We have had multiple parties reach out specifically to comment on the new logo and identity.

With the very tight timeline, the workflow was incredibly handled. The skidmore team was willing to dig deep and take time when we needed it and were also able to take our initial input and feedback and return results within days

Skidmore's ability to get what we actually wanted sometimes because of and sometimes despite what we actually said was very impressive. Their team was incredibly talented and easy to work with.

We were very happy with the outcome.

Overall Score Completely effective, great results, no pointless energy or attention required
    We knew when and what they needed from us and vice versa.
    Skidmore understood our budget and over-delivered
    Our experience with Skidmore was the experience you want but rarely get.
    We could do so much more if all our partner relationships worked like this

Rebranding Strategy & Assets for Agricultural Business

"We found a group of incredibly passionate individuals who shared our joy for good food and new opportunity."

Jan. 2019 - Jan. 2020

Skidmore Studio executed a rebranding initiative for a small-batch fruit and vegetable manufacturer. After presenting a competitor and market trend analysis, they focused on crafting a visual look and identity.

Brandon Seng
Owner, Michigan Farm to Freezer

Skidmore Studio's team understood the company's passion and translated that into a solid brand. Since launching the new branding assets (e.g., packaging, label, website), the manufacturer has retained a 100% win rate for securing grocers to partner with them. Revenue has also grown by more than 30%.

Michigan Farm to Freezer is a small batch manufacturer of Michigan grown fruits and vegetables. We focus on season extension for specialty crops grown in our state in abundance, during a short growing season. I am the owner and operator of the company.

For what projects/services did your company hire Skidmore Studio?

Like many small businesses, our brand, website and strategy was created bit by bit over a period of time through the engagement of our staff, friends and a few contractors. The opportunity arose for us to move our business to Detroit from Northern Michigan, at which point we decided it best to undergo a re-branding in an attempt to enter a new market with a cohesive and quality look.

We wanted to increase our distribution in Southeast Michigan through the engagement of 30 new independent grocers and 85 corporate stores, which would nearly double our revenue and volume. We wanted a better way to tell our story of Michigan's bounty and season extension.

We spoke with a few network leaders and heros in Southeast Michigan's food economy. Skidmore's name continued to rise to the top as a company that we should engage in our process. Their experience in Detroit, and experience with other emerging brands made the choice a simple one.

We had several discovery meetings with Skidmore, and they brought their team out to our facility for a tour and understanding of our operations. We talked through how we've grown our business to the point that it was, what we were most excited about in the future, and what barriers we saw in the market.

After initial discovery, we were presented with a competitor analysis, market trend analysis, and a brief on our competitive advantages as a brand. As we worked through brand strategy and visual identity, we had regular meetings with their team to provide feedback, gain input and craft a brand that was truly representative of us, and the movement that we are a part of.

Their team brought a ton of energy, ideas and passion to this process, allowing us to step out of our current reality, and look from a high level at who we are, and why our business is critical in the food system. As materials were developed, we were provided opportunity to engage in feedback loops and share perspective that shaped the work.

In the end, we landed with a brand that speaks as well to our effort as we do directly.

We worked with an account lead who coordinated engagement across a diverse and talented team. We engaged regularly with Skidmore's Creative Director, several designers, copywriters and editors. There's was an approach that pulled different talent from within the agency as we needed it for specific portions of the project.

Through this effort we launched a completely new packaging design, label, website and go to market strategy for our target customers in Southeast Michigan. We have retained a 100% rate in securing the grocers on our list of ideal prospects, and have revenues in by over 30%, and grown gross profitability by over 50% in the same period.

They were flexible in meeting the demands of our fast moving, growing company, while maintaining professionalism and driving outcomes. Skidmore was a joy to work with in this regard. Their copywriters would jump in and take measurements of merchandising freezers when on site, to ensure that we had what we needed to grow. They were comfortable and successful in the fluid approach that we needed.

We found a group of incredibly passionate individuals who shared our joy for good food and new opportunity. When we speak about Michigan agriculture, it is often met with sideways glances in industries that aren't directly engaged in growing or creating food.

For us, this passion and energy is ingrained in our DNA. We believe that a perfectly ripe strawberry is a gift pulled from the earth to be celebrated and shared. At Skidmore, we found a group of foodies that were energized by our focus and passion, and capable of using our drive to brand our product in a way that reflects that.

None.

Overall Score wonderful, talented company.
    We worked through many meetings, calls and email exchanges, and scheduling was never an issue.
    For a small firm, the expense was large, but the outcomes created produced incredible value.
    This was our first experience with a professional agency like Skidmore, and were blown away by the outcomes they produced.
    We have referred several colleagues to Skidmore already.

Branding for Employment Initiative

"Working with the Skidmore team was a super smooth process."

Jan. - June 2019

Skidmore Studio provided branding services for a mission-driven organization that creates jobs through urban farming. They designed labels and packaging for various food products.

Gary Wozniak
President & CEO, RecoveryPark

The new labels and packaging are ready to hit the shelves. Skidmore Studio’s team listened closely to the project’s needs and delivered. They communicated well throughout the project, which led to a smooth collaboration.

I am the CEO of RecoveryPark. Our mission is to create jobs for people with barriers to employment. We do this by launching for-profit businesses in the food space. RecoveryPark Farms is our first launch and our City is Detroit, Michigan.

For what projects/services did your company hire Skidmore Studio?

We were looking for a company to help with packaging, label design and product branding. After releasing an RFP to several companies, and an extensive interview process, we chose Skidmore Studio.

Development of specific product brand and the label for the clamshell packaging of our lettuce mix.

We sent out a Request for Proposal (RFP) to multiple companies. We were specific about our requirements and asked to see examples of design work each company was commissioned to do for others. Additionally, we staged interviews with the candidates and called referrals.

We selected the vendor. We then scheduled information gathering sessions and a feedback loop. Each meeting built on the previous meeting. Our final sessions were review of concepts and selection of final product.

Four people on the design team - one to manage the workflow, two on actual design and the project lead, who is the Principal Designer of the company.

We have a product label ready to put on packaging.

The team from Skidmore Studio worked seamlessly with the RecoveryPark Farms team. The project progressed PDQ.

We are in the midst of raising capital to get our products into retail so we knew that we needed help with branding and packaging. Working with the Skidmore team was a super smooth process. They really listened to us and kept us in the loop throughout the whole process. Our products are now shelf-ready.

None.

Overall Score We are negotiating Phase Two of the project with Skidmore Studio!
    Highly recomend Skidmore Studio.

SILVER VERIFIED