Creative Agency

Sir Isaac is a full-service creative agency, named after a physicist. We're very much alive, and we move brands forward.

Objects in motion stay in motion and objects at rest stay at rest until a force comes along to change it all. We’re that force. We're a team of professional storytellers, artists and writers, thinkers, innovators, strategists and we're here to stir things up. We give brands the strategic and creative courage to get things moving in the right direction.

2008
Salem, MA
  • 81 Washington Street, Suite 203
    Salem, MA 01970

Traditional Advertising for Agricultural Supplier Company

"Their creativity is the best I've ever seen."

Feb. 2014 - Dec. 2016

Sir Isaac lent branding and marketing direction through logo design and traditional media collateral like brochures, product guides, and print/radio ads. Other tasks included Wix-based web design and SMM.

Scott, Ohio
Fred Pond
Owner, Pond Seed Company

The team’s strategic insight and dynamic creations catalyzed a new era of business success, prompting steady increases in sales and brand exposure. Sir Isaac’s receptiveness to feedback, regular progress updates, and competitive price point contributed to an enjoyable partnership.

I’m the president of a small agricultural company dealing farm seeds in western Ohio.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sir Isaac?

I had trouble with marketing my company. It wasn't really an area of expertise for me. My goals were to increase my footprint, increase sales, polish the brand, and establish marketing strategies.

The engagement covered different creative work and strategic services. First, we designed a new logo that really represented the company’s 90-year history. Sir Isaac made that from scratch and provided a vision of what I needed and proposed a path to get there. I managed all decisions, and they offered multiple choices.

They created a seed guide for us, field advertising signs, billboards, radio ads, a few print ads, mailers, business cards, sales brochures, some leave-behinds, and general marketing strategies on how to increase and time sales. We also did some co-op marketing plans with another company.

Sir Isaac did digital media for us and made a website through Wix. They started from scratch because I had no website. We dabbled a little bit on the social media, but that was not a huge focus, at least initially.

How did you come to work with Sir Isaac?

I sought help from other people who recommended Sir Isaac. I did not consider other companies because I valued the decisions and opinions of my colleagues. Since someone else highly valued Sir Isaac's work, that was good enough for me.

How much have you invested with Sir Isaac?

I believe we spent $10,000 per year on a retainer, and I had other expenses like stock art and printing.

I started working with them in February 2014. I worked with them continuously from that time until December of last year. I'm not currently working with them or anybody else.

Once, I did some sales chart that showed a nice increase when they came on board. They affected the trends of my sales positively in terms of meeting the goals that I initially had. I think that's why I stayed with them for several years.

From a creative standpoint, the artwork and everything else they provided were absolutely spectacular. They made us feel good about coming to work because we had a nice, clean-looking logo. We got shirts printed, and employees felt good about the brand. Then, we had beautiful fields signs for advertising, which attracted lots of responses from customers.

They made a huge change in our business in the first couple of years. As they got to know me and the personality of the company, they were really able to fine-tune their work. When they got to know me really well, they could nail what my customers were looking for.

How did Sir Isaac perform from a project management standpoint?

They communicated well and making sure that I was updated on their progress. Whenever I had a question, I’d shoot them an email or a text or call them via FaceTime.

They managed feedback on their creative work fairly well. We made some adjustments, but it seemed like they would always offer options. If I had a certain design idea, they’d always deliver something even better. I guess that's what I was paying them for.

They didn't harass me every day with questions. When I turn somebody loose on a project, I don't want to be bothered constantly, and they didn't do that at all. They got a good feel for what we were looking for and just implemented it. I really liked that.

What did you find most impressive about Sir Isaac?

I appreciate their creative thinking in trying to solve a problem such as increasing sales. I'm recycling some of their stuff, and I really miss them. Their creativity is the best I've ever seen.

Are there any areas Sir Isaac could improve?

Personally, I felt like I had to push them a little bit to get the job done. I don't know whether that's just part of the industry or if I'm just super organized. If I tell you to call me at 4 p.m., the phone shouldn’t be ringing at 4:05 p.m. But, after I learned their personality, if I wanted something by July 1, I would tell them I needed it on June 15.

It would’ve been easier if they were closer geographically. Sometimes, I wanted to sit at a conference desk with them. They are in Boston, and I'm on the Ohio–Indiana line, but I don't know if that really impaired our communication at all.

They seemed to have a lot of turnover. We had a new person on the team every 3 months, but they never dropped the ball. I don't know if that's a big deal; it may be the way their industry operates.

Overall Score They’re a great company.
    I'm pretty strict about scheduling. They weren’t as timely as I wanted, but the timeline was still acceptable. They made it work.
    I don’t have much experience for comparison, but they did a great job for an ad company. They never made me feel like a small account.
    They offer great creativity and high-quality work. They also lined up a local printer for me and handled that transition. I couldn't have asked for any better in that respect.
    I've recommended them before and would do it again.

Re-Branding for Market Research Firm

"They punch above their weight."

June 2012 - Ongoing

Sir Isaac provided a new logo, color scheme, and print collateral to revitalize a company’s image after years of stagnation. They now provide short-term and long-term strategy to guide marketing efforts.

Providence, Rhode Island
Dan Connor
Owner, Accurate Focus

Sir Isaac constantly takes the initiative on driving the work. They are friendly, genuine people who maintain a seamless project flow. With their broad talent based in digital marketing, they deliver regular metrics demonstrating their successful contribution to revenue growth.

Accurate Focus is a small-market research firm located in East Providence, Rhode Island. We specialize in focus groups and the collection of data through surveys. I’m the owner and president.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sir Isaac?

I had just purchased Accurate Focus, and I was looking to rebrand the company and also get a marketing strategy in place. The company had been in existence for over 20 years prior to my ownership, but its place out in the market had diminished. The first thing I had to do was refocus the market’s attention on the company, its existence, what we do, and the new things we were going to bring to the table.

They designed our logo and color scheme we would use, everything from email to the palette used in painting the new office space. We certainly developed ads that we used to get the work out, both print and social media. They developed the overall strategy that would employ, based on the budget that I had, even down to the smallest things like business cards. So, they do a mix of creative and strategy.

They mostly focus on digital media, but they’ve also designed email templates and business cards. I haven’t done any print ads with them yet, but those are other steps that lie in front of us as our revenues grow and more money becomes available. I know Sir Isaac is well-versed in that area. They keep up a running dialog with us in terms of what they’re doing, what they can do, what they’ve done for others. There’s a long-plan strategy that we’ll initiate as I can afford in.

How did you come to work with Sir Isaac?

I was just beginning my search, and I reached out to associates I’ve worked with in the past and friends who own similar businesses. I happened to have a conversation with a friend who works for Allied Bank, and they had hired Sir Isaac to do the same things I needed. She was raving about the job that Ross Dobson [President at Sir Isaac] had done for her, so I ended up contacting him. He’s local to me, and I liked how he presented himself. They’re now my go-to agency, and it’s been a great relationship for the last five years now.

How much have you invested with Sir Isaac?

I’ve invested about $18,000 over five years.

We started working together in June of 2012, and our partnership is ongoing.

They’re just really good partners. I don’t have to search them out and re-engage them on something else. They’re constantly coming back to me, providing ideas and suggestions. They punch above their weight, and they add a lot of value for a small amount of money. They’re a partner more than a vendor. Any time I run into a problem or a question, whether it’s about interfacing with my clients, generating new leads, or getting the most out of social media, they’re the ones I go to. They never disappoint. Everyone I’ve touched in that company has been helpful, wonderful, and warm to work with, and I don’t have to chase them down. Once we discuss something and they initiate it, they’re great with the deliverables.

Ross is forever inundating me with the metrics and results of what they’re doing, particularly in social media. Smart people hire smart people, and I’m too old to learn all that. I know enough to hire good people who are experts in that area. My business has gone up roughly 20% every year for the last five years. Part of that is because the economy is recovering, but Sir Isaac has certainly gotten the word out for us. I’ve gotten back clients who had fallen away from using Accurate Focus over the years. Ross revitalized their interest in us, and they connected with me strictly due to his outreach. I’ve got some empirical evidence, not just the anecdotal, that the return on investment has been great.

How did Sir Isaac perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re warm and lovely people with whom to work. Even though they have a very personal style, they’re also incredibly professional. Once we talk about something, I don’t ever have to call requesting the status of a project. The work just flows. They lay out a work plan and the associated due dates, and they hit those deadlines. If they say I’m going to get something by a given date, it happens. I’ve worked with at least ten different people in Ross’ firm, and they’ve all been that way. It’s been a very consistent, professional experience.

What did you find most impressive about Sir Isaac?

I would say it’s the fact that they don’t treat you like a client. You’re treated more like a partner. They’re very sensitive to the cost involved. They’ll come in and lay out a variety of options, and their enthusiasm doesn’t wane when I tell them my budget can only do a certain amount. I feel like I’m working with a really big agency. I’m not that big of a fish, but they make me feel like I am.

Are there any areas Sir Isaac could improve?

I can’t think of anything. I’m very happy with their services.

Overall Score I like working with them. They’re on-the-spot and I have nothing bad to say about them.
    They’ve been perfect. They never miss a phone call. Everything we’ve ever scheduled has happened, and that’s tough in this environment. It’s been great.
    The return on investment is one of their great advantages. There’s a direct line between what they’ve done and the growth of my revenue. They don’t get frustrated when I can’t afford their Plan A. They’re very quick at adapting a Plan B or C.
    I’ve obviously been very happy because I continue the relationship with them. I just flat-out enjoy working with these folks.
    I would absolutely refer them. I do refer them quite a bit, and in turn, that has made me look good. Several people I know have used Sir Isaac and enjoyed the experience as well.

Agency of Record for City Tourisim Office

"People are engaged with the product that Sir Isaac is creating for us. Their creative work is received well."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Sir Isaac redesigned and modernized a tourism website to make it mobile-responsive. They added a build-your-own-itinerary tool. They now provide marketing collateral like event websites and a visitor guide.

Salem, Massachusetts
Executive Director, Destination Salem

Sir Isaac delivers high-quality work that engages visitors. Although their account management staff went through some turnover, the team is flexible and responsive to the peculiarities of the industry, and they bring valuable design expertise to the relationship.

I’m the executive director of Destination Salem, which is the destination marketing organization for the City of Salem, Massachusetts.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sir Isaac?

Destination Salem does the tourism marketing for the City of Salem, so we’ve had a website since the ‘90’s. We needed a redesign to make it current. We wanted to improve the site, make it more mobile responsive and contemporary, and have some new functionality, all within a pretty tight budget. Our overall goal was to create marketing collateral that will attract additional visitation to Salem.

In addition to the initial website project, we’ve hired them to do an additional website for one of our festivals, as well as our visitor guide and the publication for the Haunted Happenings Festival. They do our advertising creative and are helping us make some strategic and placement decisions as well. We do a mix of print and digital advertising. They’ve done some creative for our social media, using the advertising collateral that they’ve converted into either banners or profile pages so our look is consistent. The strategic planning they assist us with is part of the contract we established with them. It works in concert with another marketing consultant with whom I work.

How did you come to work with Sir Isaac?

Their office is literally across the hall from ours. We do a lot of really fun work, and depending on the type of agency you’re working for, it can but fun and appealing, but can also test the mettle of an agency. Our budget is never large, and they’re not going to make a million dollars off us, so it takes some strategy and there’s a lot of challenge to it. At the end of the day, we’re promoting vacation time, so the final products are pretty fun.

They wanted to work with us, and they actually pitched us before we hired them. We’ve worked with several agencies over the years, and because I am a public-private partnership, I need to put projects out to bid. Every time I have a large contract, I put it out to at least three contractors or agencies. Sir Isaac is the third agency we’ve worked with in the last ten years.

We originally hired Sir Isaac to redesign our website, and we enjoyed working with them, the strategy and talent they brought to the project. We then issued an RFP for creative services to them, among other design agencies, and Sir Isaac won the proposal.

Our relationship began in May of 2016, and they’re now our agency of record.

I don’t have statistics right now, but we’re doing some analysis this summer. People like the work done by Sir Isaac, and that’s what we go by. People respond to the work, and they like the website. People use it build itineraries, which is a new function we didn’t have before. The trend is that people are engaged with the product that Sir Isaac is creating for us. Their creative work is received well internally. My organization is three people, and I wouldn’t be working with them if we didn’t like it.

How did Sir Isaac perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve had transitions with some of their staff, so we’ve had a couple different account managers working with us, but they’ve seemed to stabilize recently. They’re very responsive to feedback. They need to be, because they’ve never had a tourism client before. They will give me very creative ideas that just don’t work, and they’re responsive. They meet the deadlines we have. It’s all good.

What did you find most impressive about Sir Isaac?

I had a couple agencies tell me what they thought I needed to hear. The reason I hired Sir Isaac is because they told me things I didn’t know, so their approach was a little out-of-the-box. As they didn’t have other tourism clients, they brought a fresh perspective to the table. They gave me good advice based on industry knowledge and what they do, and that’s what we need. I’m not a graphic designer or part of an agency. I hire out for that talent and that perspective, and they brought that to the table.

Are there any areas Sir Isaac could improve?

I would like more consistency with the account management.

If we miss a deadline, it’s generally my fault.
    I think there is great value in our contract with Sir Isaac, but I’m spending more with them than I’ve spent with any agency. I don’t devalue it, but I just have a very limited budget.
    They’ve always given what we need, and they offer options.
    They’ve already gotten several clients based on our referrals.

Agency of Record for Energy Company

"The look and feel of the brand has evolved tremendously."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Sir Isaac developed a comprehensive multi-channel marketing strategy. Services included optimizing direct mail, social media marketing, SEO, buying ad space, and retargeting efforts when necessary.

Medford, Massachusetts
Jonathan Schwarz
Vice President of Marketing, HomeWorks Energy

Sir Isaac successfully diversified lead sources and evolved the brand to reflect a more professional look and feel. The team has a diverse skill set and excels at critical thinking and writing skills. They consider the immediate and long-term effects of each option.

HomeWorks Energy is the largest home performance contractor under the Mass Save Program, which is a utility-sponsored program. We provide homeowners with energy efficiency audits and upgrades to many of their current energy use items, such as switching incandescent bulbs for free LED bulbs, water aerators on faucets and showerheads, and free smart power strips for controlling energy use. Homeowners are also eligible for a 75% discount, up to $2,000, on insulation and weatherization upgrades, as well as many other rebates and incentives tied to heating and cooling systems. I’m the VP of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Sir Isaac?

I came in about a year ago to very much a startup culture with a lot of really smart, passionate people committed to helping to improve the environment. The company had not done a lot of marketing, had not done a lot to diversify our lead sourcing nor build the brand and brand awareness. So, my desire and approach was to take a very holistic view of what we needed to do at the company to build the brand and dial up our marketing initiatives across diverse platforms. I wanted a nimble, full-service agency to collaborate on that, from strategy through tactics and implementation.

We’ve tackled everything from optimizing our direct mail program to rolling out a comprehensive, digital, cross-channel test and strategy. We’ve done a lot to improve the overall imaging and look of the brand. We’re getting ready to roll out a new website, and we’ve worked significantly on enhancing our display through a lot of the local event outreach that we do as well. We’ve also done some radio with them.

They provide creative services for advertising and marketing campaigns. There’s a creative brief process that we undertake with them that is comprehensive and disciplined. Once everyone understands the brief, the strategic needs and the tactical output, we’d be presented with two or three various creative options that we would discuss the merits of, then move forward with the selection of one or more to implement and/or test.

Social media and SEO strategies are also part of the engagement. Tied with our digital push, SEO and SEM have also been a part of that, from creating strategy, creating the media buy, and looking at retargeting efforts. It’s been pretty comprehensive.

How did you come to work with Sir Isaac?

I was doing general research through Agency Spotter, and they were one of the agencies I felt met our needs. The depth and breadth of their team allowed them to be an all-purpose agency to work with, versus a highly-focused shop where I would have needed a few different partners involved.

How much have you invested with Sir Isaac?

For the year, we’ll end up spending around $250,000, including retainer and media.

I engaged them, from a proposal standpoint, either the end of August or beginning of September of 2016. We brought them on board at the end of September, and they are currently our agency of record.

From a quantitative standpoint, we are moving the needle pretty well on diversifying our lead sources substantially. When I came on board, about 90% of our leads came through a legacy direct mail piece. That 90% is now in the high 60% range, as we have added on more robust efforts through our programmatic outreach, digital, as well as amping up our referral program.

Qualitatively, the look and feel of the brand has evolved tremendously. This has applications in everything from our website, our community outreach materials, our truck racks, as well as just a standard identity logo package that they developed for us.

How did Sir Isaac perform from a project management standpoint?

They perform well. Their communication is very good, and we have standing update calls. I have face-to-face time whenever I need it. Their process for submitting a brief and having that acted on is clear and timely. The overall communication is solid.

What did you find most impressive about Sir Isaac?

I think Ross [Dobson, President] has done an excellent job in curating a team that has a diverse skill set and gives really solid breadth and depth for a small shop. He also brings a tremendous amount of strategic thought, critical writing skills, and a general, deep desire to engage with clients to truly understand the business from a nuts-and-bolts standpoint as well as a downstream and strategic objectives standpoint.

Are there any areas Sir Isaac could improve?

I think the challenge with any relationship, certainly in the first year, is how quickly you can ramp up and get to speed. I’d say both parties have to play a very active role in that. I think we could have short-cycled some deliverables back to Sir Isaac better, to keep things moving, and I think the desire to have an agency keep a fire lit under the client is always important. So, perhaps the fire, at times, could have been a little hotter under us, but I also appreciate that it’s a delicate dance with a client relationship.

Overall Score They’re a great shop and a good team. They’re hard-working, and they bring humor into the creativity and discipline of the process. It’s been a very good working relationship.
    Very solid work, and I think this ties to my statement about how both parties could ensure that the intensity remains high.
    The amount of work, and the value we get from the money spent, is very high. For a company with a moderate marketing spend, they’ve done a very good job in maximizing our dollars.
    It’s the first year, and I think there’s always room for improvement as you enter into the second lap around the track.
    I have been on a list for a few pitches they’ve made, but I haven’t been called to date.