Smarter marketing. Better results.

Single Grain was founded on the principle of delivering exceptional results for our clients. From founders of venture backed SaaS startups to former marketing executives, our team brings a unique skillset to the table. We're not just an agency, we've actually played the game of business and understand the levers that need to be pulled to achieve sustainable long term growth for our clients.

2002
San Francisco, CA
  • Single Grain
    425 2nd St Suite 401
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    800.701.0793
  • Single Grain Los Angeles, CA
    800.701.0793

Yahoo!, Sony Pictures, Mint.com, Salesforce, Nordstrom Rack, Intuit, Treehouse, Host Gator, KitchenAid, Random House.

Digital Marketing & Strategy for Publishing Company

"The thing I liked most about Single Grain was that they really felt like a partner."

May - Dec. 2015

Single Grain provided digital marketing and strategy for a media launch (including paid and social media advertising) for the client.

Dallas Metro Area
CTO, Publishing Company

Single Grain's campaigns helped their client get over 20,000 registrants from paid ads and earn $1.2 million in 10 days. Single Grain's responsiveness, project management and investment in the project's success stood out throughout their partnership.

We are a multimedia publishing company servicing businesses in direct selling. I am the Chief Technology Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Single Grain?

We were doing a large digital product launch, and we were looking to have the largest launch of this particular course. We had engaged Single Grain to help us with the paid media strategy.

Overall, it was a strategy in terms of what different online marketing channels we should be using, utilizing the audience, the different type of demographics, and where we were going to get the best return on investment. Then, it came down to creating the ads, the CTAs [call to action], the copy, and the actual images. They did all of that for us. Mainly for this one, we ran AdWords, Facebook, and Instagram, so Single Grain had the task of configuring all the different online media, advertising, and providing pixels and traffic information to the team inside to place on our websites and web properties, just to ensure all the tracking was taking place.

They did the strategy first. Then it was the ad copy, the CTAs, and the images that go with that as well as the retargeting. Then just general overall marketing funnel design, which included feedback on the registration page and design of the funnels. This particular one was a very large event and we had to use YouTube live on it, and so they had some ideas around that as well. They provided the internal development team basically the tracking codes to place on all the pages and the web properties. They knew exactly what they were doing and how to get it done.

How did you come to work with Single Grain?

Our Chief Executive Officer had reached out through his network, and Single Grain was recommended to us.

How much have you invested with Single Grain?

I’d say between $50,000 and $100,000.

Single Grain was engaged from May to December of last year [2015].

Could you share any results of the engagement?

We had between 20,000 and 25,000 of the registrants come from the paid ads, so roughly 45% of the registrants in that campaign came directly through the ads that Single Grain had set up. The overall launch was the largest launch that we had done. We did $1.2 million in 10 days.

How did Single Grain perform from a project management standpoint?

Single Grain was really good on that. We did three phone calls a week, a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday check-in, sometimes half an hour to an hour long. Single Grain was always prepared. They always had great insight, reports, and metrics to give us. They even set up a dashboard for us and just always came prepared and always had the numbers.

Sometimes they weren’t great; sometimes the numbers were low and they would tell us what their plan would be, and what tweaks they would do to the ads. They always shared the information and gave good updates.

What did you find most impressive about Single Grain?

Having worked with a couple of different ad agencies in my career, the thing I liked most about Single Grain was that they really felt like a partner. They really had a vested interest in the outcome and just in the overall the success of the project. I think that’s the most important thing; you really knew that they wanted to be there and that they wanted to make it happen.

Are there any areas Single Grain could improve?

Not that I can think of. It really felt like their team was part of our team. They set up a Slack channel, and they gave us access to two of their guys internally. There’s nothing that I could say that they could do better. It worked great. Everyone was happy with the outcome and just wanted more.

Content Marketing for Financial Software Company

"They consistently provide great work and are always available."

Single Grain developed and implemented a content marketing strategy that included article and blog writing.

Sri Lanka
Co-founder, Financial Software Company

Single Grain has written 50 articles to date. The content is well written, and the client has been satisfied with Single Grain's performance and quality of work.

My company is a financial software firm.

I'm one of the co-founders.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Single Grain?

We were looking for a company to help us develop a successful content marketing strategy. We wanted to be able to increase our user engagement through interesting and useful content.

Single Grain developed content in the form of articles for us. They also wrote for our blog in the hope of bringing more people to our site.

How did you come to work with Single Grain?

We were recommended to Single Grain by a trusted consultant of ours.

We are currently working with them.

Can you share any statistics or metrics from this engagement?

So far they have written 50 articles for our blog.

How did Single Grain perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed really well. All of their articles are well written and we are very happy with what they have delivered.

What distinguishes Single Grain from other providers?

One of the biggest things that distinguishes Single Grain from others is the quality of their work. They consistently provide great work and are always available. This is very important to us.

Is there anything Single Grain could have improved or done differently?

It would have been great if they had spent a little bit more time in the planning stage.

Content Production for Business Loan Consulting Firm

"Single Grain is very well organized, which puts me at ease."

Fall 2015 - Ongoing

Single Grain provides content for the client on a monthly basis. They deliver an average of four articles a month, and also provide some additional SEO services.

New York City, New York
Head of Content, Business Loan Consulting Firm

The client has been very pleased with the engagement, citing their affordability and in-house editing team. Single Grain also excels at project management, communicates clear schedules, and always meets deadlines.

The company I work for is an online marketplace for small business loans. We help small business owners apply to multiple lenders.

My title is head of content. I oversee all everything that we produce to educate small business owners.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Single Grain?

When I first approached Single Grain, I was talking to them about their SEO [search engine optimization] services, but ending up utilizing their content creation services.

Single Grain provides content for us on a monthly basis. We publish on our site twice a day, and then we publish 20 to 30 articles a month externally - all on our own. It's very difficult to find good writers and manage the process, so Single Grain helps us by producing about four articles a month.

How did you come to work with Single Grain?

We began working with them on the advice of a mutual contact.

We started working with them in the fall of 2015 and spend less than $10,000 per month.

We are currently working with them.

How did Single Grain perform from a project management standpoint?

From the beginning, Single Grain has always done a wonderful job at project management. They are clear about the schedule and always meet deadlines.

What distinguishes Single Grain from other providers?

Single Grain is very well organized, which puts me at ease. When you're managing so many pieces of content and so many freelancers and internal writers, organization is crucial. Their SEO services, from a pricing perspective, are affordable when compared to others in the industry. They're much more specific about what they're capable of doing, which takes out the guessing work on our side.

With regard to content production, their cost per article is on par if not a little bit below industry rates, but you get the added benefit of having it go through an editor before it even reaches you. That added service that we would be paying extra for is very nice.

Is there anything Single Grain could have improved or done differently?

The only thing I would say is that there are certain times where I can tell a piece is coming from a particular writer. I hope they will continue to keep the best writers on staff.

Content Marketing for Legal Website

"What stands out is that they have a skilled team with subject matter experts in each digital marketing discipline."

Single Grain worked to improve conversion optimization and increase qualified lead generation by developing an effective digital marketing strategy.

San Francisco Bay Area
Founder, Legal Web Site

Single Grain provided excellent content marketing services that effectively increased brand awareness. The project was a success with no issues. Single Grain’s team is skilled in a variety of areas and enthusiastic about their work.

We are a legal website that helps people find legal services quickly without spending too much time doing research or speaking to the wrong attorney. I am the founder, we are still a small, but growing startup in the San Francisco area.

We needed to drive more leads and traffic to the website. We make money by having valuable traffic, so we needed an overall digital strategy. Single Grain helped us increase traffic but, more importantly, helped with conversion optimization and generating more qualified leads.

They provided some SEO [search engine optimization] work, digital marketing strategy, and conversion optimization. The main service we hired them for and their real strength for us was around content marketing. They really helped us craft some great legal content that worked with our audience and drove more business.

They help us less now with the content but their work also included copywriting and distribution work. They knew the right channels for distribution and increasing brand awareness. It was a full campaign utilizing a strong team with multiple resources. It lasted several months.

We are very satisfied with their work. We heard that they were experts at dealing with startups in the area and they didn't disappoint. What stands out is that they have a skilled team with subject matter experts in each digital marketing discipline. These guys are very good.

I have no complaints to report and am really satisfied. I would recommend them to others and have already given their name out before.

Digital Marketing for Productivity Software Firm

"Single Grain deserves a lot of credit for the quantifiable growth."

Jan. 2014 - Ongoing

Single Grain strives to increase engagement and social media followers by providing social media marketing services and managing Google AdWords campaigns. The agency also creates and manages blog content.

Minneapolis Metro Area
Marketing Manager, Employer Software Product Firm

Single Grain exceeds expectations by contributing to significant improvements in trial acquisition, customer acquisition, revenues, and social media presence. Single Grain is responsive, available, involved, and committed to their tasks at hand.

We are a SaaS [software as a service] company that provides a tool for companies with hourly workers to use to schedule their employees. We are When I work, http://wheniwork.com/.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the marketing manager. Single Grain started with us before I came on board. I manage Single Grain’s work with our company as well as doing some of our own marketing activities.

What was your goal for working with Single Grain?

To drive more quality trials of our software. We have a 30-day-trial offer and are currently testing a 14-day-trial offer. We want to have better users that could convert into sales. Scaling out our [Google] AdWords, scaling out our Facebook campaigns, retargeting our advertising, so we can get them to convert higher as well are also goals.

Single Grain also did social media marketing with us. They completely managed all of our social channels, getting activity, finding out what the best time is for us to post, what was the best format of each post on each channel.

Whether it was better to get followers or whether it was better to improve engagement, and what was working with our audience as well as content, was also part of their strategy work. They were producing and managing the content for our blog, as well as forming the ideas of what was going to be featured on the blog, creating it, and publishing it.

What was your process for selecting Single Grain with which to work?

When I came here in January, we already had them on board. It was through a reference, I believe.

We scaled them back a little bit because we brought some of the work in-house. That makes sense with the nature of our work. We still use them heavily for managing our Facebook ads.

When was the project completed?

The project is ongoing.

Are you satisfied with their work?

Absolutely. I started working here in January, and everything grew in the seven months that I was leading the work with the help of Single Grain. I don’t have revenue figures, but everything doubled or tripled in growth with respect to trial acquisition, customer acquisition, revenues, and social media presence. Single Grain deserves a lot of credit for the quantifiable growth.

I've worked with other agencies. Single Grain is very in tune with their clients. With Single Grain, we can schedule a phone call whenever we need to talk to them. We can make sure that everybody is aligned with our objectives and goals, rather than them just being on autopilot.

They didn't just say that they didn't know whether their campaigns were actually working. They were very much involved, and told us what they were doing and why they were doing it. They gave us suggestions, asked us what we thought, and asked how they could move it forward.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. For me, I had a lot to learn when I first started. That was my first experience in that kind of position. I think they nailed it right away. They helped me get up to speed right away on everything they were doing.

We never had any issues with deadlines. Ever.
    For what we paid versus our return. Hands down.
    We had some huge returns from their work. The quality of their work was great.
    I already do recommend them. I thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone at Single Grain.

Digital Marketing for Wedding Website

"From social media marketing to conversion rate optimization, they have expertise in all the different competencies."

Single Grain creates social media content, manages email marketing, and provides SEO services with the goals of building the brand, increasing traffic, and optimizing conversion rates.

San Francisco Bay Area
CEO, Wedding Website

Single Grain single-handedly built a large Facebook audience and is always focused on creating engaging content. The agency is professional and boasts a skilled, enthusiastic team. Single Grain is dynamic in their approach and successful in helping others achieve their goals.

Please describe your company.

Our company provides wedding websites for couples who are planning their wedding, so they can announce their wedding details and communicate to their guests, and receive their RSVPs.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the CEO.

What was your goal for working with Single Grain?

It was about building our brand and getting more traffic. We are still in the middle of the work with them. We’ve been working with them for about 10 months so far. What we wanted to accomplish with them is to get a presence in social media and bring in more users to our website as well as email marketing. So, we are working with them on a lot of things.

They do email marketing, social media content, and SEO [search engine optimization] work. We had this change in our business model back in February, and that’s when we actually hired them. We wanted to fix several things.

First they started by fixing our SEO, so they gave us a lot of suggestions based on our website, things that we should change to get better results. Then they also worked on our social media presence, which is Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

They continuously provide content for our social media sites, and they pretty much built our entire Facebook audience. They’re also helping us with our conversion rate optimization. They are doing experiments and testing on our website, on several pages, and testing what’s converting, and which content and layout works better for users. We had some very good results with that, too.

What was your process for selecting Single Grain with which to work?

My business partner found them. He found an SEO expert online, I think his name is Neil Patel, and they are somehow connected to him. We looked at several SEO companies, and they looked the most professional, honestly. We really liked the way they are marketing themselves, and I still feel it was a really good choice.

It’s hard for me to estimate the work hours they are providing because I feel that I’m getting an entire team who’s working for me. I see people posting on Facebook, writing blog posts, so I can’t really tell how many hours they put into this but it looks like it’s pretty involved. I feel they put a lot of effort in it.

What were the results of the project?

The engagement is ongoing. So as long as it makes sense for us to work with them, and currently that’s what I see, then I will definitely want to continue the engagement. Also, I’ve recommended them to other companies.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

Currently we have about 7,000 likes on Facebook, and that’s all from their efforts, we didn’t have anything before that. On Twitter, they keep pushing content that keeps generating interest. We have about 3,000 followers now. We are also working with them on paid search acquisition.

They are managing our Facebook ads, and they are experimenting with different targeting. It significantly raised the amount of users who are coming into our site and creating trial sites with us. So, that’s another important area. They are directing users to our site from social media.

Also, I see that when they are doing A/B testing, their methods are much more efficient than the A/B testing we did for ourselves. I see differences between their A and B version, like 70 percent or 80 percent. We were not able to accomplish more than about 2 percent difference in our own A/B tests, so they are very efficient with finding content and layout that works better.

They are the first digital marketing company I’ve worked with, but I really think what’s great about them is that whoever I work with in the company looks like they are total professionals in every area they are working in. From social media marketing to conversion rate optimization, they have expertise in all the different competencies.

Single Grain always works with the best people. They have partners for email marketing specifically, a man who is really good at that. They care about working with the best people. I also see that, if they don’t know something about my market, then they figure it out very fast.

Not really so far.