Award-winning video marketing agency.

We are Simple Story; an award-winning video marketing agency made up of artists, marketers,  advertisers and storytellers. We design story-driven messages that help our clients –  the heroes of their stories – reach their audiences and inspire action.

Ottawa, Canada
  • 319 McRae Ave, Suite 504
    Ottawa, ON K1Z 0B9

Brand Explainer Video for Business Expense Platform

"I really enjoyed working with the art director and illustrator."

July - Sept. 2019

Simple Story Videos filmed and produced a brand explainer video for a business's new release. Their team worked in conjunction with the client for design and art direction.

Ashleigh Stewart
Art Director, TravelBank

The vendor created a high-quality video. Simple Story's art director and illustrator were collaborative and understanding. The workflow was effective.

Art Director on the Marketing Team at TravelBank, an all-in-one Travel & Expense solution for businesses.

For what projects/services did your company hire Simple Story Videos?

We needed a short video to explain our latest feature release.

To get folks excited about the release, explain what SuperItinerary is, and help promote our new feature.

I worked with Simple Story on a previous project, a brand explainer video. I found the company through a LinkedIn recommendation and loved their pitch and process.

Describe the video(s) and the process in detail.

They worked alongside us to produce a video our team was very happy about and they were able to be flexible as the goals and the vision of the video changed.

What was your vendors' project management or feedback process?

I worked with the team's art director and illustrator directly. We communicated mainly through email and Monday (I actually find Monday to be confusing to use and would have preferred to keep communication to email in some instances... I use Asana and Jira now so it may just be a personal preference.

We haven't had enough time between the video release and this review to see results. Feel free to contact me in a few months!

Pretty effective! I appreciated being able to work with the illustrator directly since I am a designer/director -- it was important for me personally to give design direction and feedback and the Simple Story team was understanding of that.

I really enjoyed working with the art director and illustrator. They were both collaborative and understanding. Simple Story is also affordable for what they produce. Would definitely recommend.

As mentioned, Monday isn't the easiest or most intuitive software for me personally. I also felt like deadlines got pushed because I was not asked a question that needed answering or told that the team wasn't able to use the files I provided (like, I didn't know the team didn't have Sketch and I handed over only Sketch files... if I would have known this I could have been more helpful in providing what was needed). I was also asked to find several stock videos but wasn't given the log in information until 2 days before the videos were needed. More communication there would have been appreciated.

Documentary-Style Video Production for Athlete

"The final product was unbelievably great and went way beyond my expectations."

June 2019

Simple Story Videos provided full-scale video production support for a professional athlete. After helping create a message and narrative, they filmed multiple events and handled the post-production editing.

1 – 10 Employees

Calgary, Canada
Erica Wiebe
Olympic Athlete

The client was amazed by the video and it had significant engagement on social media. In addition to providing quick turnaround, Simple Story Videos brought creative ideas to the engagement and kept the project on track throughout the collaboration.

I’m an Olympic athlete in freestyle wrestling.

What challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

It’s really important for me to give back to my community and leave a legacy beyond sports, so I hosted a number of events over the course of one week. I hired Simple Story Videos to capture moments at these events and help share my story on a much broader level. I wanted to use these videos on social media for my personal brand.

For each of the three main events —an artwork launch, a wrestling clinic, and a Fast and Female charity day—I explained to Simple Story Videos what I wanted to get out of them. We came up with a script and message to guide the video, emphasizing my legacy as more than an athlete. Once we developed this narrative, they guided me through the type of content we’d need to collect and how it would all piece together. Their team handled all the onsite production, filmed the events and edited the video.

I worked directly with the videographer and producer.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

I had a few connections in the tech space who had used Simple Story Videos before. I thought some of their previous work was very special and knew it was exactly what I wanted.

We spent between $25,000–$50,000 on their services.

We spoke to them for about 6–7 months before filming, but they completed the project within June 2019.

Seeing the video for the first time made me emotional—it was really impactful to see how they brought it all together. I posted it on social media and it reached over 12,000 people. It was great to see how the event affected different people and see the footage that Simple Story Videos captured. The final product was unbelievably great and went way beyond my expectations.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

The communication between our teams was always really clear; we primarily used email. If I was delayed in getting some information to them, they were really understanding and ensured I had everything I needed. Their team laid everything out well and were great to work with.

They had a great combination of technical skill and creativity. I was impressed with how they brought the video together and their great attention to detail.

A place where they could provide even more service would have been if they offered support in launching the video. I didn’t ask for this, but it’d be an area where they could further their services.

Be open to the creative process. You should come in with an idea but be flexible about how it’s executed. Having a great level of trust and communication is what helped me feel so happy about the final product.

Overall Score I had an awesome overall experience.
    They were right on target for the whole process.
    I asked for high quality and I received it.
    The deliverables and service were outstanding—I couldn’t ask for anything better.
    I had a great time working with them and would do so again, which is the strongest recommendation.

Video Production for 3D Printing Company

"The quality and graphics of the video fit our machine perfectly; it was exactly what I was looking for."

June - Aug. 2017

Simple Story Videos created a 2-minute animated video that was to be paired with a demo 3D food-printing process in order to tell a story and showcase the machine to potential customers.

Columbus, Ohio
Benjamin Feltner
COO, 3D Printing and Robotics

Simple Story Videos was able to complete the work without requiring much guidance or involvement, resulting in a video that is engaging, fits in perfectly with the 3D printing viewing station process, and has been a hit with investors. Overall, they delivered high quality in record time.

I am the COO of BeeHex. We’re a 3D food printing company that originated out of a NASA funded project. We now 3D print all types of food and build custom machines for our customers. 3D food printing is the core of our business, but we add on some robotics and some entertainment aspects as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

We needed to create a video to run simultaneously with the printing process in our proprietary viewing station in order to make it more entertaining. We asked Simple Story to create the video in a way that would accommodate the viewing of 3D food printing along with watching the video and to essentially create a story out of it. It was made to showcase the demo machine to our potential customers.

Simple Story developed an animated video from scratch and delivered it in record time. I didn’t give them much guidance in the creation of the video other than sending them pictures and videos of what exactly they would be dealing with. I let them fully use their creativity to develop the 2-minute video animation.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

At the time, I was reaching out to another company but their lead time and cost was really high. We had a short timeline, so the other company I originally reached out to referred me to some other options and Simple Story Videos was one of those. Simple Story set up a call right away and was onboard with what we were doing.

We started working together in June or July 2017, and the project was completed in early August.

Simple Story performed incredibly well. Our video was funny and fit our needs perfectly. We just showcased the video to an investor company and they loved it.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

The team sent me screenshots and brief updates, and whenever I had a question regarding the progress, Kara, the director of business development, would get back to me right away. We didn’t need any kind of meeting other than the kick off meeting, therefore I wasn’t a witness to their internal project management. I let Simple Story use their creativity and let them just go for it. The video was delivered on time, and it worked out perfectly.

Simple Story Videos created a video that was unique and really fit the physical attributes of our machine perfectly. There is no way we could find another video that would work in the same way. They are creative and hardworking.

I didn’t have many expectations, but Simple Story Videos met the few that I did have.

Simple Story Videos was able to deliver our video with plenty of time before an important meeting. We had time to review it and print food along with the video.
    They did a really excellent job, especially as I didn’t have to spend any time working on it other than checking in.
    I have already recommended Simple Story Videos, and will be happy to recommend them to others.

Video Production for E-Commerce Platform

"They delivered a great product very quickly at a decent price."

July - Aug. 2017

Based on a pre-existing script, Simple Story Videos collaborated with an in-house marketing team to produce an explainer video. The final product is a 60-second, animated video covering an e-commerce platform.

Fulton, Maryland
Shelley Wygant
VP of Marketing, SamCart

Simple Story Videos was collaborative and easy to work with. They offered a variety of solutions for voiceover talent and music, which proved useful for the project. The team also was able to meet the rushed timeline of four weeks to complete the video before a product launch.

SamCart is a software company with an e-commerce platform that lets online entrepreneurs create a check out page very simply and quickly. It allows them to sell all kinds of digital products and services online. I’m the VP of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

We are coming up on a product launch. We wanted to create a 60-second animation explainer video to explain what SamCart is, what it does, and why it’s fantastic.

We have some marketing capabilities in-house, so we provided Simple Story with the script. We worked with them in a collaborative way to make that script come to life. They gave us choices for voiceover talent and music, which were very helpful. We were on a rushed schedule of four weeks.

We wanted to use the video for our launch materials, our emails, Facebook, hosted sites that people will connect to purchase our product, etc.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

We have an on-site designer who also happens to have a background in animation. He’s familiar with the field and knew about various firms including Simple Story. We looked at several different animation companies, and we liked Simple Story’s animation style.

We put out an RFP to various companies. We chose Simple Story based on their portfolio as well as their financial proposal. They were also able to accommodate our tight schedule and assured us that we would get a good product for what we thought was a very fair price.

We spent $18,000, which included rush charges.

We started working with them in July 2017, and the video was completed in August 2017. We would certainly consider working with them again.

We were very happy with the service they provided and the product they delivered. It was very collaborative, and they were very easy to work with. They came up with their own solutions and we reacted to those. In the end, they requested permission to use the video on their portfolio site which we granted.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

They hit all the deadlines and were very responsive.

They delivered a great product very quickly at a decent price. The price range that we got for this project from other potential partners was up to five times what we paid for this. Simple Story wasn't the cheapest, but they weren’t the most expensive either.

I can’t think of anything. They were pleasant to work with and very collaborative.

Overall Score I have no complaints.
    They gave us a schedule and hit every date.
    What we got was terrific and it was substantially less than the highest bid. They gave us the same quality at a more reasonable price.
    They gave us a schedule and hit every date.
    I haven’t had the opportunity to recommend them yet, but I would if asked.

Video Production for Education Company

"Their management, creative, and project management team are all fantastic to work with."

Oct. - Dec. 2016

Simple Story Videos developed a video to better explain a recent product release. They were looking to tell a story that was quick, yet engaging, using a one-minute animated video.

Provo, Utah
Steve Ostler
Director of Marketing, Blackboard

The video has received positive feedback from several clients and viewers within the company. Simple Story Videos excelled at keeping internal staff informed and communicating about any problems that might prevent a deadline from being met.

Blackboard provides educational solutions globally in both the K-12 markets as well as higher-end professional education and government training. We specifically work with the K-12 Community Engagement Solution and work in public school districts in North America. I’m the product marketing director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

The latest project was an add-on to one of our main product lines we released. We needed integration of student data into more public facing properties like websites, mobile apps, and proactive communication from schools. We wanted to make sure we could tell that story in an engaging and quick format.

We asked for their help from an outside perspective to tell the story we needed. Simple Story Videos developed a script for us and did the work from beginning to end to create a one-minute animated video. We started the project with an idea of what we wanted. We gave them too much information, so they sat down with us, took our input, and their scripting team came back with a much lighter script that still brought out the major points that we wanted. We did 3 or 4 iterations on the script until it was what we wanted. Our team is primarily writers and on-stage presenters, so it was important for their team to push back on us and give us feedback. I appreciated that they didn’t just take what we gave them but provided their expertise to make this video much better than we could do on our own.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

We had worked with them before, but I don’t know how we originally came to work with them. That was before I started working for the company. We were very happy with the first product they provided us, so we were confident about using them again.

How much have you invested with Simple Story Videos?

The project cost between $10,000 to $50,000.

The project is completed.

I don’t have any specific metrics. The website where the video will be posted is in the process of being completed. We have shared it in some email campaigns and with our internal teams, and the feedback has been positive. People say it’s a powerful video, which is exactly what we’re looking for. My personal feedback would be that this video takes a very complicated idea and presents it in a very powerful and is easy to comprehend manner.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

There was some delay in the project because they suggested a different animator to make the project more personalized and engaging. We were very happy we did that. They did a fantastic job and were great at communicating any changes and how those would impact the timeline. They were easy to reach on their project management tool and allowed both of our teams to collaborate at any time.

What did you find most impressive about Simple Story Videos?

They’re always very easy and accommodating to work with. Simple Story Videos is very professional and I would recommend them to anyone. Their management, creative, and project management team are all fantastic to work with.

Are there any areas Simple Story Videos could improve?

No. They’re doing a great job.

Video Production for Fundraising Firm

"They always treated us like we were their only client."

Aug. 2016 - Sept. 2016

Simple Story Videos was hired to develop a recruitment video.

New York City, New York
Jade Alderson
Marketing Communications Coordinator, CCS

The client has received a lot of feedback from their partners about how much they loved the video. Additionally, new hires have recently come on who have said that the video influenced their decision to join CCS Fundraising.

CCS Fundraising is a strategic fundraising firm that partners with non-profits for transformational change. We plan, manage, and implement programs that achieve fundraising goals and mission impact.

I’m a marketing coordinator and help project manage our various assignments.

What challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

We needed help with a new video as part of our rebranding process.

We wanted to make a video for recruitment. Our marketing and HR teams brainstormed ideas, and we agreed the video should include animation. We had a phone meeting about the scope, and they came back with a synopsis. Once we gave our approval, they came up with a script.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

Our Digital Marketing Strategist, Dan, and I, looked at different video samples for over a week. We found a video that Simple Story had done and we showed it to the rest of the team. Everyone agreed that that was the style we were looking for. We reached out to different production companies who deal with recruitment videos in animation and used the video from Simple Story to get quotes.

We reached out to Simple Story, and they responded within an hour and emailed me a package of information about their company. I also spoke with Skyler and Fabio, and then both teams spoke together. We were very impressed with them. They sent a questionnaire to understand more about our company, and what we wanted then we had a phone call in which they listened very carefully. They also had the best rate out of all the quotes as well.

We started working with them in August 2016, and the project was completed in September 2016.

We’ve been very happy with their work. Before the website went live, we presented a preview of it to the board. We received emails from some partners sharing how much they loved the video. Our company does onboarding sessions for new hires. This last week we met a couple of people who told us they saw the video and that it influenced their decision to join our company.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

They listen to what we need and their response time is great even on holidays. They make sure they understand our ideas instead of assuming they do which I really appreciate. They were very organized. We gave them a very tight deadline, and they were able to meet it. If a deadline had to be changed, they made sure we knew about it. They were one of the best teams I’ve worked with in my career.

What did you find most impressive about Simple Story Videos?

They are very positive, and they’re never stressed which is unusual for production companies. They always treated us like we were their only client.

Are there any areas Simple Story Videos could improve?

No. Simple Story had never had the opportunity to work for a company that focuses on philanthropy. Simple Story wanted articles and our published content, so they could review everything they could about us.

If anything they had to wait for us.
    We already have.

Explainer Video for Medical Device Company

"They understand marketing and the medium that they work in."

Simple Story Videos produced two explainer videos for the client's products. They developed the storyboards, added animation and photography, and edited the final product.

Richmond, Ontario
Jon Chatburn
VP Sales, Clearwater Clinical Limited

Both videos have had hundreds of views and are used for all of the client's marketing and email solicitations, customer presentations, and trade shows. Simple Story delivered everything on time, within budget, and with excellent project management.

I work for Clearwater Clinical. It is a mobile health company that develops solutions for the medical industry.

I am the Vice President of Sales.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Simple Story Videos?

We needed a video production company to create explainer videos for a couple of product lines we have.

We needed these videos to explain what the solution does front to back in a short and entertaining medium.

The first video was for a product called ClearSCOPE, an endoscope adaptor and a combined software solution called Modica. It’s an adaptor that connects a smartphone to an endoscope. The software is an application that enables the phone to store the video securely. Because it’s a multi-part solution, we wanted to show how it works to the target market of ear, nose, and throat doctors.

The other video was for our product line called Shoebox Audiometry. It is the world’s first clinically validated iPad based hearing diagnostic device. It is used to test for hearing loss. We developed the application for iOS and wanted to develop a video that concisely explained its features and the way it functions.

The team at Simple Story Videos are experts at getting to the core of what’s required to tell the story that you want to tell. They provided us with a template with a questionnaire to fill out. This helps them develop the storyboard. After they had developed the storyboard, we collaborated on every frame in order to figure out what we wanted to highlight. In our case, we didn’t do any live action, but Simple Story Videos added animation and photography. They edited the video at the end and made the whole process very smooth and easy.

How did you come to work with Simple Story Videos?

They’re a local company and I knew of their work through another company I had worked with. I liked their process, which ultimately drove me to choose them.

They did a live action video for my previous company, which was very different compared to the videos they just made for us. I saw the range that they had, which I really liked.

In total, the videos ranged between $5,000 and $10,000 individually.

The two videos are complete. The Vice President of Marketing was impressed and really enjoyed working with them, so we may work with them again.

Both videos have been watched hundreds and hundreds of times. We use them on our website, at trade shows, and in all our marketing and email solicitations. When speaking with customers, we send the videos to them in order to explain our products.

How did Simple Story Videos perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a very good job with project management. That’s one of the things they have done best. They have a good understanding of how to lead companies and customers through the process in order to get what they need. Additionally, they are great with follow up. They move quickly and they work on time and budget, which is super refreshing.

What distinguishes Simple Story Videos from other providers?

Outside of project management, they’re really nice to work with and are very professional. They understand marketing and the medium that they work in. Simple Story Videos is very creative and because of that they able to turn your idea into something digestible and understandable for anyone.

Is there anything Simple Story Videos could have improved or done differently?

I don’t think so. One of the lucky things with us is that we were local, so we were able to meet with them in person for the first couple of meetings. Overall, they were great.

They were right on budget.
    The only reason for this is that I have a limited understanding of what they provided us. I don’t know all the other things they do.

Video Production for United Nations Refugee Campaign

"They were very responsive and professional."

Apr. - June 2018

Simple Story Videos created a video and graphics for a United Nations awareness campaign. Their team produced the video on a short deadline.

Ottawa, Canada
Melanie Gallant
Head of Communications, United Nations Refugee Agency in Canada

Simple Story Videos' efforts received great feedback. Responsive and professional, they creatively took existing data and produced a high-quality product.

I am the Head of Communications for Canada for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The UNHCR is mandated with providing protection and solutions to millions people displaced by violence and persecution around the world.

For what projects/services did your company hire Simple Story Videos?

The production of a video and graphics that show how refugees make positive contributions to Canada's economy and our communities.

Raise awareness in plain language and convey data simply.

Web search

Describe the video(s) and the process in detail.

Overall they delivered a good product in a very short turnaround.

What was your vendors' project management or feedback process?

Good system for managing deliveralbles and deadlines and were good at reminding us of need for info, revisions, etc.

Great reception of the video and positive feedback. Appreciated someone from Simple Story attending the event launching the video.

They were very responsive and professional.

Capacity to take raw data and come up with a creative concept.

We were very satisfied with the video and graphics. The one pager was the one product of three we felt could have been a bit more polished. However, to be fair we were giving a very tight deadline.

We were very satisfied with the video! The still graphics were good, and the one pager was okay - but a bit rushed and produced towards the end.